PDA

View Full Version : Eagle's fire Chip Kelly.

Rutnstrut
12-29-2015, 06:21 PM
Not a shocker. Just heard it on NFLN.

Rastak
12-29-2015, 06:33 PM
Not a shocker. Just heard it on NFLN.

Yea it's a fucking shock. Season isn't even over. There must have been a very interesting come to jesus meeting with the owner and the owner didn't like what he heard.

I wonder if the Titans grab him.

Rutnstrut
12-29-2015, 06:40 PM
Yea it's a fucking shock. Season isn't even over. There must have been a very interesting come to jesus meeting with the owner and the owner didn't like what he heard.

Yes the timing was kind of a surprise, but I figured his days were numbered.

Striker
12-29-2015, 06:54 PM

Throwing his own hand picked right hand man under the bus yesterday probably didn't help his case.

pittstang5
12-29-2015, 07:17 PM

I thought that, but I think he goes back to College

http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/movieposters/9362/p9362_p_v7_ab.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
12-29-2015, 07:53 PM
I thought that, but I think he goes back to College

Oregon should fire head coach and bring him back.

beveaux1
12-29-2015, 08:13 PM
He'll find a job. I think it will probably be in college.

Guiness
12-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Kelly being fired is not a surprise, timing is for sure. Have to think something else was afoot to make Lurie think it was a better idea to go with an interim coach with a short week to prep than to let Chip play out the string.

Kelly had final control of personal, did Lurie expect him to do something stupid?

pbmax
12-29-2015, 08:49 PM
Its too bad. He updated a lot about the League's approach to offense in just 3 years, even if he never should have been given control over the roster.

He wasn't the GM, but I believe he had a veto over the composition of the roster.

If you want a skullduggery angle, its been rumored that USC and Chip are hot and heavy for each other. If he interviewed with USC over their break, that would be enough reason to let him go and not force him to pay his buyout.

pbmax
12-29-2015, 08:53 PM
PFT reports Sal Pal reports that Chip did not want to cede control over personnel. So now he has neither coaching nor personnel duties.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/29/report-kelly-balked-when-lurie-asked-him-to-give-up-personnel/

pbmax
12-29-2015, 09:22 PM
Wow. Really did not expect this:

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 5m5 minutes ago
Chip tells @JayGlazer he'll stay in the NFL, doesn't want personnel control http://wp.me/p14QSB-9WYC

Jason Wilde is already fielding Tweets and email about replacing McCarthy with Chip. He mocked them and included a Steve Martin gif to show how dumb he thought the email was. His timeline exploded and now he is pouting. Some of the reporters for the team, with the exception of Scoops, Dougherty and new guy Cohen have not handled the up and down year well.

Harlan Huckleby
12-29-2015, 10:04 PM
Can the fall in Packer fortunes be blamed on Cohen? I'm for it.

Patler
12-30-2015, 05:46 AM
Throwing his own hand picked right hand man under the bus yesterday probably didn't help his case.

What is that about? What did Kelly do or say, and about whom?

pbmax
12-30-2015, 07:48 AM
What is that about? What did Kelly do or say, and about whom?

He might mean when Chip claimed he wasn't the GM and it was V.P. of player personnel Ed Marynowitz who was the de facto GM. But he was Kelly's hand picked choice to take over from Roseman. He was avoiding questions about personnel moves gone bad. The one thing people agree on in the Eagles (former) structure is that Chip won final say on the roster. Though I am not sure that his comments on this were Monday.

Rapaport is reporting that Lurie had made his mind up prior to the meeting and did most of the communicating via phone. The meeting was perfunctory. And given that the announcements for interim positions were made immediately, that they had been planning this for a while.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 35m35 minutes ago
Was looking for a big event that led to #Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie firing Chip Kelly. Sounds like though he just called him in & fired him

Austin! ™ ‏@AustinEnglish13
@RapSheet Kelly didn't want to give up his role of being in charge of the personnel. Who could've kept his job

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 19m19 minutes ago
Ian Rapoport Retweeted Austin! ™
I have not heard that this scenario is accurate.

ThunderDan
12-30-2015, 08:27 AM
Chip Kelly brought a gimmicky offense to the NFL. It isn't a surprise that after the first couple of years the other teams would have film and be able to stop it.

The difference in talent level between NFL teams is much less than the difference in college. You could use the gimmicks in college to get a dime corner to cover a slot WR and be successful. That doesn't happen in the NFL where your dime DB is at least competent and not a 18 or 19 year old kid playing in his first real action under the lights.

I think I predicted that Chip would be fired pretty quickly in the original thread when Kelly was hired.

mraynrand
12-30-2015, 08:30 AM
I hope the Eagles hire Josh McDaniels

pbmax
12-30-2015, 08:38 AM
I am rooting for Chip like I am rooting for Johnny Football. I just want something new to happen. Ideally, I want something so big to happen, that Rodger feels the need to change the rules and goes too far. Then he gets canned and takes a job officiating high school basketball.

Guiness
12-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Chip Kelly brought a gimmicky offense to the NFL. It isn't a surprise that after the first couple of years the other teams would have film and be able to stop it.

The difference in talent level between NFL teams is much less than the difference in college. You could use the gimmicks in college to get a dime corner to cover a slot WR and be successful. That doesn't happen in the NFL where your dime DB is at least competent and not a 18 or 19 year old kid playing in his first real action under the lights.

I think I predicted that Chip would be fired pretty quickly in the original thread when Kelly was hired.

Was Chip's success his first year in the NFL just that - a gimmicky offense that the other teams figured out once they had film and an offseason to dissect it? Kind of seems that way but I'm not sure, he also made some pretty questionable personnel decisions, although in retrospect it seems he had no good choice at QB. As much as Bradford was mediocre, Nick Foles was much, much worse.

Carolina_Packer
12-30-2015, 11:09 AM

Maybe they'll bring back Don Felder.

pbmax
12-30-2015, 11:24 AM
Was Chip's success his first year in the NFL just that - a gimmicky offense that the other teams figured out once they had film and an offseason to dissect it? Kind of seems that way but I'm not sure, he also made some pretty questionable personnel decisions, although in retrospect it seems he had no good choice at QB. As much as Bradford was mediocre, Nick Foles was much, much worse.

I don't think so. He really screwed himself with his personnel decisions.

mraynrand
12-30-2015, 12:34 PM
Maybe they'll bring back Don Felder.

Maybe as The Last Resort, if they get Desperado. But I think they want the New Kid in Town.

Cheesehead Craig
12-30-2015, 02:50 PM
Chip won't stay in the NFL. To run his system, he needs to have all the power to get the personnel he needs. He's shown he isn't that good of an evaluator of talent on an NFL level. In college, he's fantastic. It would be interesting to see him at a USC where he can get the elite talent without having to rebuild a program.

Carolina_Packer
12-30-2015, 03:07 PM
Maybe as The Last Resort, if they get Desperado. But I think they want the New Kid in Town.

You sure know how to Take it To the Limit.

pbmax
12-30-2015, 03:28 PM
Chip won't stay in the NFL. To run his system, he needs to have all the power to get the personnel he needs. He's shown he isn't that good of an evaluator of talent on an NFL level. In college, he's fantastic. It would be interesting to see him at a USC where he can get the elite talent without having to rebuild a program.

His system was record breaking with Andy Reid's players.

smuggler
12-30-2015, 04:12 PM
Gotta say I agree with pb. Gotta pair him with a good GM. Also, he may be better off as an OC/playcaller.

Bretsky
12-30-2015, 04:15 PM

That would be good.....to separate the best coach and best OC and put them on different teams

Guiness
12-30-2015, 05:38 PM
That would be good.....to separate the best coach and best OC and put them on different teams

After the train wreck that was (in Denver) his first HC I wonder if he'll ever get another shot.

pbmax
12-30-2015, 05:39 PM
After the train wreck that was (in Denver) his first HC I wonder if he'll ever get another shot.

Jason LaCanfora had him down as one of the hot coordinator candidates and he swore he talked to people in front offices, not just agents.

Joemailman
12-30-2015, 06:54 PM
Why is there an apostrophe in the word Eagles in the thread title?

Rutnstrut
12-30-2015, 08:54 PM
Why is there an apostrophe in the word Eagles in the thread title?

Because I fucked up, was doing 16 things at the same time. I apologize for making a mistake, I will send everything to you to proof from now on.

Joemailman
12-30-2015, 09:17 PM
Because I fucked up, was doing 16 things at the same time. I apologize for making a mistake, I will send everything to you to proof from now on.

Now theirs an excellent suggestion. ;)

Carolina_Packer
12-30-2015, 11:22 PM

I Can't Tell You Why, but I think in The Long Run we'll all have a Peaceful, Easy, Feeling about this.

denverYooper
12-31-2015, 06:05 AM
I Can't Tell You Why, but I think in The Long Run we'll all have a Peaceful, Easy, Feeling about this.

Way to take it to the limit

Bretsky
12-31-2015, 07:15 AM
Jason LaCanfora had him down as one of the hot coordinator candidates and he swore he talked to people in front offices, not just agents.

He's too young not to get a second chance. I'll be fine seeing him elsewhere cause I'm sick of seeing NE constantly outperform their talents and abilities ...in comparison to what we have in GB......:(

Cheesehead Craig
12-31-2015, 07:42 AM
Way to take it to the limit

Take it easy

Cheesehead Craig
12-31-2015, 07:44 AM
His system was record breaking with Andy Reid's players.

And then he got rid of them all. He's great in college for talent and scheme, but not so good with that in the NFL.

Patler
12-31-2015, 09:02 AM
... I'm sick of seeing NE constantly outperform their talents and abilities ...in comparison to what we have in GB......:(

Do you really think that is true, that NE outperforms their talents and abilities, but GB does not?

GB routinely drafts low in a round, well after the elite talent is gone.
Even with that, TT is routinely criticized for "over-drafting" players in rounds higher than they deserve.
McGinn's preseason player "coding" articles rarely identify more than a couple players considered elite by front offices around the league, a lot of average talent.
GB is often surpassed in its number of Pro-Bowl and All-Pro members by teams with worse records, often by quite a lot.

Yet, GB's record under MM stacks up well against anyone, including NE.

PA Pack Fan
12-31-2015, 09:03 AM
You sure know how to Take it To the Limit.
In the long run, you guys need to take it easy.

woodbuck27
12-31-2015, 09:04 AM
Can the fall in Packer fortunes be blamed on Cohen? I'm for it.

http://img.memecdn.com/jew-detected_c_4378283.jpg

Sure ! Blame the Jew !

mraynrand
12-31-2015, 09:15 AM
^^^ good lord.

woodbuck27
12-31-2015, 09:23 AM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/30/path-clear-for-chip-kelly-to-head-to-tennessee-titans/

Path clear for Chip Kelly to head to Tennessee Titans

Posted by NBCSports.com on December 30, 2015, 1:46 PM EST

woodbuck27
12-31-2015, 09:28 AM
^^^ good lord.

I know I'm a fascinating man but Jessssssh mraynrand....you .......crushing over me !

Where's your composure? Try to get a grip on your MAN love.

mraynrand
12-31-2015, 09:44 AM
I know I'm a fascinating man but Jessssssh mraynrand....you .......crushing over me !

Where's your composure? Try to get a grip on your MAN love.

You're a pretty delusional bigot, aren't you.

woodbuck27
12-31-2015, 10:08 AM
You're a pretty delusional bigot, aren't you.

" unable to stop thinking about something; too interested in or worried about something "

Is the definition for what English language word mraynrand?

pbmax
12-31-2015, 12:30 PM
That's ruining the already sullied name of memes.

Rutnstrut
12-31-2015, 12:57 PM

I see what you did there;)

Carolina_Packer
01-01-2016, 12:00 AM
If the Eagles hire Josh McDaniels, I guess that would make him The New Kid in Town. The Eagles thread within the Eagles thread...

Guiness
01-01-2016, 01:41 AM
when is it ok for someone to chime in with 'I just want to bang on the drum all day'? Let me know, because I've been waiting

pbmax
01-01-2016, 08:22 AM
when is it ok for someone to chime in with 'I just want to bang on the drum all day'? Let me know, because I've been waiting

Has life been good to you so far?

denverYooper
01-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Has life been good to you so far?

But seriously, folks