PDA

View Full Version : Packers/Redskins Wildcard Week Discussion Thread

Joemailman
01-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Washington's pass defense ranks just 25th in the NFL. They've allowed 4100+ yards, with 30 TD passes and just 11 INT's. Anybody know if they play a lot of zone. That would tend to play into the Packer's hands. Their run defense isn't any better, ranking 26th. This will likely be the weakest defense Packers have faced in a while.

pbmax
01-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Joe Barry seems to be from the Lovie Smith/Tampa Bay school of Defense.

I think we have a winner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Barry

2001–2006 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
(Linebackers Coach)
2007–2008 Detroit Lions
(Defensive Coordinator)
2009 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
(Linebackers Coach)
2010 USC
(Linebackers Coach)
2011–2014 San Diego Chargers
(Linebackers Coach)
2015–present Washington Redskins
(Defensive Coordinator)

pbmax
01-04-2016, 06:11 PM
He was Marinelli's D Coordinator with the Lions. Remember the sudden life the Packers offense showed versus the Cowboys?

And this:

At a press conference on December 21, 2008, following the Lions' 42-27 loss to the New Orleans Saints, Detroit News sports columnist Rob Parker addressed a question about Barry to Rod Marinelli, inquiring whether Marinelli wished that his daughter had "married a better defensive coordinator."[1] (Barry was the Lions' defensive coordinator at the time.) The question was criticized as unprofessional and inappropriate. The next day, Parker wrote that the comment was "an attempt at humor" and not a malicious attack.[2] Parker has not written for the Detroit News since, and has not attended any press conferences since the incident, including the one Marinelli gave following his dismissal as head coach of the Lions. On January 6, 2009, the Detroit News announced that Parker had resigned from the newspaper the previous week.[3]

King Friday
01-04-2016, 06:38 PM
Packer offense is going to look OK this week. The Redskins are a pathetic defense. Their schedule was a real cupcake...only 2 matchups against playoff teams, and they got absolutely smoked in both. I'm glad they won their last 4 games against horrible teams...congrats. Even playing like doo-doo, the Packers can win this game by more than a TD.

Bossman641
01-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Packer offense is converting only 24.44% of their third downs over the past 3 games.....29.27% over the past 6.....31.65% over the past 10.

The switch to MM hasn't helped on the scoreboard or in keeping the defense off the field.

Fritz
01-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Maybe the offense can show a little life this time.

The winner of this game looks like cannon fodder for the following week.

Airin' Rodgers
01-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Maybe the offense can show a little life this time.

The winner of this game looks like cannon fodder for the following week.

If Seattle wins and the winner plays Arizona, I agree. If Minnesota can pull the "upset", then I think both of these teams have an outside chance to beat Carolina playing their first game without Tillman.

mraynrand
01-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Packer offense is converting only 24.44% of their third downs over the past 3 games.....29.27% over the past 6.....31.65% over the past 10.

The switch to MM hasn't helped on the scoreboard or in keeping the defense off the field.

I knew it was bad, but not that bad. It would be nice if they had a tall TE with good hands that they could run up the middle opposite Cobb to pick up some of those first downs, but it's like after he caught the hail Mary, the Packers have treated R. Rodgers like he has herpes. (and don't tell me the MN game was different - because they didn't throw to him until they were up shit creek).

Striker
01-05-2016, 04:22 PM
I knew it was bad, but not that bad. It would be nice if they had a tall TE with good hands that they could run up the middle opposite Cobb to pick up some of those first downs, but it's like after he caught the hail Mary, the Packers have treated R. Rodgers like he has herpes. (and don't tell me the MN game was different - because they didn't throw to him until they were up shit creek).

It would be nice if they'd stop trying the flat route with him.

Striker
01-05-2016, 04:27 PM
The Redskins CBs are playing pretty terribly right now. There is "sneaky shootout" potential for this game.

Reed will be tough to stop. Hope Hyde is up to it. And don't leave one of the slower LBs on Matt Jones. That would be bad for us as well.

MadScientist
01-05-2016, 04:49 PM
The Redskins CBs are playing pretty terribly right now. There is "sneaky shootout" potential for this game.

We need a Washington player to declare that this will be a blowout.

Washington CBs vs Packers WRs sounds like a match-up between movable objects and resistible forces. Which group will suck more.

Rutnstrut
01-05-2016, 05:14 PM
This should be an easy win for the Packers. But nothing has been easy for them this season.

pbmax
01-05-2016, 06:40 PM

Or if 6' 3" 205 lbs Adams could hold up the CB for just a milli-second. Or that Cobb could pick him up.

Patler
01-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Or if 6' 3" 205 lbs Adams could hold up the CB for just a milli-second. Or that Cobb could pick him up.

Nah, still wouldn't have mattered. Unless Adams and Cobb took the defender well out of bounds, R.Rodgers would still have tripped over them, or over a particularly stiff blade of their plastic grass.

mraynrand
01-05-2016, 07:46 PM

Not to mention throwing behind the line of scrimmage, asking him to pick up YACs. As PB has said, his YAC average must be less than the distance between his knees and his shoulders, because the most he gains is what he gets from falling down forward.

dsilby
01-05-2016, 08:37 PM
This should be an easy win for the Packers. But nothing has been easy for them this season.

I hope you're right, but I just don't see anything as easy right now.
The Packers even with their struggles are the better team than Washington as a whole, but the Skins are playing with more confidence I think.
Stick to the run and pound Lacy and mix in Starks and the Packers should win this one.
But a loss wouldn't surprise me at this point.
I'm looking for offensive plays we've not seen all season. Stuff the Skins don't have on film.

Bretsky
01-05-2016, 10:18 PM
Easy wins ? I think you guys have forgotten how dead this offense has become ? My optimism is gone. I'm like the loud mouth fan in Major League 1 sitting in the outfield screaming we're done. We may....may beat the Redskins....but we can't beat anybody worthy.

pbmax
01-05-2016, 10:33 PM
Nah, still wouldn't have mattered. Unless Adams and Cobb took the defender well out of bounds, R.Rodgers would still have tripped over them, or over a particularly stiff blade of their plastic grass.

I grant you, that is possible. Still, just for your own rep, block him a little, OK Davante?

pbmax
01-05-2016, 10:42 PM
Easy wins ? I think you guys have forgotten how dead this offense has become ? My optimism is gone. I'm like the loud mouth fan in Major League 1 sitting in the outfield screaming we're done. We may....may beat the Redskins....but we can't beat anybody worthy.

You seem more like a groundskeeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_f8l2RRKko

Bretsky
01-05-2016, 10:48 PM
IT"S MORE LIKE THIS; WILD THING = DAVANTE ADAMS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAZU6DYwTDM

pbmax
01-05-2016, 10:57 PM
PFT: Steratore will lead the crew handling the Green Bay Packers vs. Washington Redskins on Sunday afternoon.

He's pretty good, but I think they do All Star crews in the playoffs so our mileage may vary.

Harlan Huckleby
01-05-2016, 11:14 PM
I think if the Native Americans beat the Packers this weekend it will be an act of love, a mercy killing.

mraynrand
01-05-2016, 11:46 PM

I right there with ya Bretsky. I was so negative on Sunday, being assured of a loss, that the wife kicked me out of the living room. Went to the woodshop and watched the game on the basement telly. Surprised I didn't cut off a finger on the band saw. Sunday will be even worse. I may not be allowed in the house during the game. 27-10 will be the score and it will look worse than that. This Packer squad has no answers.

mraynrand
01-05-2016, 11:49 PM
I think if the Native Americans beat the Packers this weekend it will be an act of love, a mercy killing.

I predict Aaron Rodgers will look like a counting coup injun figuratively staking himself in the pocket and allowing himself to be sacrificed.

Guiness
01-06-2016, 08:13 AM
I hope you're right, but I just don't see anything as easy right now.
The Packers even with their struggles are the better team than Washington as a whole, but the Skins are playing with more confidence I think.
Stick to the run and pound Lacy and mix in Starks and the Packers should win this one.
But a loss wouldn't surprise me at this point.
I'm looking for offensive plays we've not seen all season. Stuff the Skins don't have on film.

Welcome dsilby - nice first post :mrgreen:

I'm going to go against the grain here, and agree with you on the first part - Packers are a better team, but the 'skins have more confidence right now. Still, the Packers match up well with them and should get the win.

Guiness
01-06-2016, 08:15 AM

Speaking of the TEs, has Quarless caught a pass since being back? I don't even remember seeing him on the field.

pbmax
01-06-2016, 09:10 AM
Yeah, Q has been in blocking in 2 TE formations. He may have to play LT though.

VikingUpdate.com ‏@VikingUpdate 5m5 minutes ago
#Vikings DE Everson Griffen is the NFC Defensive Player of the Week after two sacks, FF, six tackles and four QB pressures vs. Packers.

pbmax
01-06-2016, 09:21 AM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 17m17 minutes ago
On @BoucherAuto #GGToday: After a "Rodgers is making mistakes on purpose" email, your most ridiculous explanation for #Packers struggles is?

HE WANTS OUT! HE WANTS TO GO HOME TO CALIFORNIA WITH HIS GIRLFRIEND AND LIVE IN PARAMOUNT STUDIOS AND PLAY FOR THE FORTY WHINERS COACHED BY HOLMGREN. ITS AS PLAIN AS THE NOSE ON YOUR FACE!

Freak Out
01-06-2016, 09:39 AM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 17m17 minutes ago
On @BoucherAuto #GGToday: After a "Rodgers is making mistakes on purpose" email, your most ridiculous explanation for #Packers struggles is?

HE WANTS OUT! HE WANTS TO GO HOME TO CALIFORNIA WITH HIS GIRLFRIEND AND LIVE IN PARAMOUNT STUDIOS AND PLAY FOR THE FORTY WHINERS COACHED BY HOLMGREN. ITS AS PLAIN AS THE NOSE ON YOUR FACE!

I thought he mentioned once in an interview that he would love to end up playing back in the Bay area?

Bossman641
01-06-2016, 09:49 AM
I grant you, that is possible. Still, just for your own rep, block him a little, OK Davante?

It was Jones who missed the block, not Adams

Bossman641
01-06-2016, 09:56 AM
So reading through McGinn's preview on the Redskins, it sounds like all their DL are bull rushers and on the slow side. As great as it would be to get Lacy going, I think they need to rely on Starks instead and try to hit some runs on the edge.

pbmax
01-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 35m35 minutes ago
Over last three games the #Packers and #Patriots are worst scoring offenses in playoff field. Depleted WR corps in both spots.

Striker
01-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Not to mention throwing behind the line of scrimmage, asking him to pick up YACs. As PB has said, his YAC average must be less than the distance between his knees and his shoulders, because the most he gains is what he gets from falling down forward.

Most of his YAC probably comes from the Lions game.

When he was used across the middle of the field instead of outside. You get him running in one direction and he gets somewhere...but then you ask him to change direction and turn upfield and break tackles...yea...

pbmax
01-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Most of his YAC probably comes from the Lions game.

When he was used across the middle of the field instead of outside. You get him running in one direction and he gets somewhere...but then you ask him to change direction and turn upfield and break tackles...yea...

Agree. He seemed to compete for the ball well in the middle of the field and when his momentum is carrying him downfield, he got decent YAC. He is far less effective on crossing routes.

mraynrand
01-06-2016, 11:43 AM
Agree. He seemed to compete for the ball well in the middle of the field and when his momentum is carrying him downfield, he got decent YAC. He is far less effective on crossing routes.

He can also just run ten yards upfield, turn, sit down in a spot, and catch a pass. So long as Rodgers throws it higher to his hands and not low and behind (AZ), he can move the chains. Might also pull coverage away from Cobb.

mraynrand
01-06-2016, 11:44 AM
If the Packers do find a way to win Sunday, one headline should be 'Reed upstaged by Rodgers'

dsilby
01-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Welcome dsilby - nice first post :mrgreen:

I'm going to go against the grain here, and agree with you on the first part - Packers are a better team, but the 'skins have more confidence right now. Still, the Packers match up well with them and should get the win.

Ha, thanks. I've been hoovering for a while, I came from another board. I agree though, they'll get this win. I just think as crappy as they've been after the 6-0 start, the Packers still have that playoff experience and I expect them to come out of the gates with a sense of urgency.

mraynrand
01-06-2016, 11:48 AM
Ha, thanks. I've been hoovering for a while, I came from another board.

This place needs someone to clean it up. Keep hoovering away!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/10/article-2307050-191761F9000005DC-5_634x502.jpg

pbmax
01-06-2016, 12:26 PM
Sometimes, its the right time to be Stubby:

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h1 hour ago
"I don't care what (people) think of us," McCarthy says.

Sam Shields still going through concussion protocol, McCarthy says. Every concussion is different.

McCarthy hopeful Bakhtiari can do some unit work today at practice.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1h1 hour ago
McCarthy on #Packers confidence level: "High. We're going to Washington to win." #GBvsWAS

McCarthy on playoff experience: Doesn't think Washington is lacking of it. "I don't put a lot of salt into that."

Reuters Showbiz ‏@ReutersShowbiz 1h1 hour ago
BREAKING: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' set to become the top-grossing movie of all time today in U.S., Canada: Disney

McCarthy on Cousins' play down stretch: Been given a full opportunity, handles line of scrimmage well. Command of offense. Has weapons.

MM on Adams, who made a couple nice plays Sunday: About stacking success. He can build off the MIN game - breaking tackles, YAC.

Rodgers hasn't had a 100 rating since bye. MM "our passing game has not been to the standard." Looks to build off past success.

pbmax
01-06-2016, 12:34 PM
ProFootballReference ‏@pfref 1h1 hour ago
Here's every team in the SB era to make the playoffs w/o beating a team w/a winning record (like @Redskins)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYDWWZgWkAABXx3.png:largehttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYDWWZgWkAABXx3.png:large

Smidgeon
01-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Ha, thanks. I've been hoovering for a while, I came from another board. I agree though, they'll get this win. I just think as crappy as they've been after the 6-0 start, the Packers still have that playoff experience and I expect them to come out of the gates with a sense of urgency.

Welcome. I've been to other forums looking to see if there's something better, but I've never found it. This board has its characters, but by and large, the people here know football, are intelligent and conversational about it, and there are no over-the-top personas here (anymore). It's a great place to love football.

Striker
01-06-2016, 01:22 PM
Welcome. I've been to other forums looking to see if there's something better, but I've never found it. This board has its characters, but by and large, the people here know football, are intelligent and conversational about it, and there are no over-the-top personas here (anymore). It's a great place to love football.

The place we've both come from was spun off from the Bubbler.

And it's devolving into about the same level of irrational takes as that long since dead cess pool.

dsilby
01-06-2016, 01:47 PM
The place we've both come from was spun off from the Bubbler.

And it's devolving into about the same level of irrational takes as that long since dead cess pool.

Yeah. You know it's time to go when you spend more time fighting about irrational topics trying to "get someone" instead of actually talking football.

dsilby
01-06-2016, 01:48 PM

Yeah, people here so far seem pretty nice

pbmax
01-06-2016, 03:01 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h1 hour ago
#Packers playoff captains:
Off. - Aaron Rodgers, John Kuhn.
Def. - Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers
ST - Mason Crosby, Chris Banjo.

pbmax
01-06-2016, 03:02 PM
All of Twitter has swung completely around on the Packers terrible season. Convinced now that the Redskins are actually worse than the Packers despite offensive production, people are predicting that McCarthy will be fired if they lose a road playoff game.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 19m19 minutes ago
There's often a surprise firing. If the Packers lose at Washington on Sunday, what could happen next wouldn't surprise me at all.

Fritz
01-06-2016, 03:32 PM
All of Twitter has swung completely around on the Packers terrible season. Convinced now that the Redskins are actually worse than the Packers despite offensive production, people are predicting that McCarthy will be fired if they lose a road playoff game.

There's often a surprise firing. If the Packers lose at Washington on Sunday, what could happen next wouldn't surprise me at all.

I think it's a winnable game now that I see the Skins defense is slower than the Packers' offense.

But I don think you can expect much after that.

mraynrand
01-06-2016, 03:58 PM
FD - Jeff Janis

FDIFY

pbmax
01-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Could use a good FD effort in the playoffs.

pbmax
01-06-2016, 04:45 PM
Holy crap. And Shields is no longer participating.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYEZ5jKW8AAXMIK.jpg:large

Joemailman
01-06-2016, 05:33 PM
James Jones speaking the truth.

"You've got to look at yourself in the mirror and correct stuff," Jones said. "You can't be sugar coating nothing. It's not the real thing. If we ain't scoring points, we ain't scoring points. You can't go in the mirror and look in there and say we're scoring points.

"Everybody in here is a professional. They're a man. We know what we've got to do. We've got to pull our weight. We've got to score some points and they know we've got to get this thing rolling if we want to get to where we've got to go."

denverYooper
01-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Green Bay's schedule has been quite a bit more difficult... 9th by FO standards, going 3-4 in 7 games against playoff teams. And they've played most of the league's top defenses. The only other team with a schedule that tough is Pittsburgh, who played the 8th most difficult schedule. They also finished 10-6.

Washington, on the other hand, played the 25th most difficult schedule.

Some of Green Bay's struggles has been due to the competition they've faced. That is not an explanation for their difficulty getting the offense going, but it is a factor.

I do think the Packers are at this point a little underrated, which is kind of a nice position to be in. And they have a lot of guys with playoff experience.

Seats on the bandwagon are still going at a discount :).

denverYooper
01-06-2016, 06:11 PM

Florio's always hated the Packers.

Joemailman
01-06-2016, 06:18 PM
Green Bay's schedule has been quite a bit more difficult... 9th by FO standards, going 3-4 in 7 games against playoff teams. And they've played most of the league's top defenses. The only other team with a schedule that tough is Pittsburgh, who played the 8th most difficult schedule. They also finished 10-6.

Washington, on the other hand, played the 25th most difficult schedule.

Some of Green Bay's struggles has been due to the competition they've faced. That is not an explanation for their difficulty getting the offense going, but it is a factor.

I do think the Packers are at this point a little underrated, which is kind of a nice position to be in. And they have a lot of guys with playoff experience.

Seats on the bandwagon are still going at a discount :).

I want to believe, but then I look at that injury report. In 2010, the Packers had an injury-riddled season, but they were pretty healthy at the end of the year. That hasn't happened this year. I like their chances this week, but I don't see them beating Arizona without Sam Shields.

wist43
01-06-2016, 06:27 PM
I heard on the radio that the Pack is favored by 1... don't see that at all. I think the line should be more like Skins -7. They're playing better, their offensive talent is better overall, and they don't have the walking-talking plague, aka dunderdummy, dragging them down.

As for M3 being fired?? No way... never happen. Nothing much will change this offseason at 1265.

Joemailman
01-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Mid 50's and rain in Washington Sunday. Temperature in Minnesota supposed to be around 0 at game time.

pittstang5
01-06-2016, 06:46 PM
I heard on the radio that the Pack is favored by 1... don't see that at all. I think the line should be more like Skins -7. They're playing better, their offensive talent is better overall, and they don't have the walking-talking plague, aka dunderdummy, dragging them down.

As for M3 being fired?? No way... never happen. Nothing much will change this offseason at 1265.

The line opened with Redskins by 1 and I too noticed today it has the Packers by 1. I think the line should be Redskins - 3...at the very least. Redskins are on fire, Packers are not anywhere close. All it takes is one team getting hot at the right time = that seems to be the Redskins, at least for this game.

esoxx
01-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Florio's always hated the Packers.

He's a Viking fan I believe.

pbmax
01-06-2016, 09:04 PM
Washington is at home, that is their only edge. Sure, their offense has been more productive that the Packer offense, but the Packer D is light years ahead of the Washington D.

If it weren't for the possibility of the offense digging a hole in the ground and burying itself, I would say the line is too favorable to the Skins.

I am not on Yoop's bandwagon yet, but I think they win this game more comfortably than most expect.

woodbuck27
01-06-2016, 09:22 PM
Yeah. You know it's time to go when you spend more time fighting about irrational topics trying to "get someone" instead of actually talking football.

Hi dsilby: Welcome to Packerrrats.

Mad will verify the TRUTH but many of us have been here about a decade now.

** MadtownPacker (By the way dsilbhy: We affectionally refer to **him... the Owner of Packerrats... as Mad...sometimes he gets 'the Mexican. ***

Mad.....are we soon celebrating Ten *** Years? LOL ... I had to edit that from Ten ***Tears.

I feel that Packerrats is a very cool Packer forum. Sometimes it does get to be like a good street fight but everyone survives until Mad is absolutely forced by common sense and the screams of too many. To toss a member.

Overall it should serve you well. Have fun here...don't be shy....post often.

If anyone gives you a hard time. . . . PM me...I'll beat Em up. CHEERS ! :glug:

GO PACKERS !c GO PACK GO !!

Rastak
01-06-2016, 09:38 PM
He's a Viking fan I believe.

He is actually. Since he went full time PFT he tries not to be I think but a real fan can't make it go away at will.

Rastak
01-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Mid 50's and rain in Washington Sunday. Temperature in Minnesota supposed to be around 0 at game time.

It's likely to be about -20 windchill or worse. Should be fun as hell throwing the ball Russ.

woodbuck27
01-06-2016, 09:51 PM
I think it's a winnable game now that I see the Skins defense is slower than the Packers' offense.

But I don think you can expect much after that.

You never know Fritz:

https://www.colourbox.com/preview/4561810-fire-in-the-shape-of-a-bottle.jpg

FIRE in a bottle.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
01-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Early...the NFL Experts are leaning towards a Washington win over Green Bay.

I'm seeing the Line as 'a Pick'....in one source I trust to this out of Vegas:

" Green Bay Packers @ Washington Redskins is the only wild-card playoff game that isn’t a rematch from the regular season.

It’s also the only game in which the home team is favored, though that might change later in the week.

Green Bay is getting one point in their visit to Washington, having lost six of their last 10 games. The Redskins have won four games in a row."

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !!

esoxx
01-06-2016, 10:25 PM
It's likely to be about -20 windchill or worse.

Somewhere, Bud Grant is smiling.

Bossman641
01-06-2016, 10:53 PM

If that prediction holds what will that be, the 4th rain game of the year?

Bossman641
01-06-2016, 11:03 PM
Holy crap. And Shields is no longer participating.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYEZ5jKW8AAXMIK.jpg:large

17 players on the injury report....that's a season high. Things are not trending in the right direction.

dsilby
01-07-2016, 12:57 AM
Hi dsilby: Welcome to Packerrrats.

Mad will verify the TRUTH but many of us have been here about a decade now.

** MadtownPacker (By the way dsilbhy: We affectionally refer to **him... the Owner of Packerrats... as Mad...sometimes he gets 'the Mexican. ***

Mad.....are we soon celebrating Ten *** Years? LOL ... I had to edit that from Ten ***Tears.

I feel that Packerrats is a very cool Packer forum. Sometimes it does get to be like a good street fight but everyone survives until Mad is absolutely forced by common sense and the screams of too many. To toss a member.

Overall it should serve you well. Have fun here...don't be shy....post often.

If anyone gives you a hard time. . . . PM me...I'll beat Em up. CHEERS ! :glug:

GO PACKERS !c GO PACK GO !!

Thanks for the kind wishes! I have just shy of 11K posts there, so be careful what you wish for!! :-)

Infamous
01-07-2016, 03:48 AM
+1

Washington is at home, that is their only edge. Sure, their offense has been more productive that the Packer offense, but the Packer D is light years ahead of the Washington D.

If it weren't for the possibility of the offense digging a hole in the ground and burying itself, I would say the line is too favorable to the Skins.

I am not on Yoop's bandwagon yet, but I think they win this game more comfortably than most expect.

Patler
01-07-2016, 09:14 AM
Lane Taylor plays one game, then hits the injury list as a limited participant? Now there's a guy who knows how to blend in with a group!

pbmax
01-07-2016, 09:42 AM
^Its part of the initiation into the starting lineup. You have to have an injury idiom. Sitton has toe and back. Lang has concussion. Bulaga hip. Bach (who I think the team calls Bank) has leg issues.

Bossman641
01-07-2016, 10:40 AM
^Its part of the initiation into the starting lineup. You have to have an injury idiom. Sitton has toe and back. Lang has concussion. Bulaga hip. Bach (who I think the team calls Bank) has leg issues.

Lang also has shoulder injuries I believe.

And speaking of Sitton, didn't he also have toe problems last year? I wonder why he didn't get it cleaned up in the offseason. If I remember right he just rested, hoping that would take care of the issue.

Patler
01-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Lang also has shoulder injuries I believe.

I heard or read this week for the first time that Lang will likely have shoulder surgery this off season

mraynrand
01-07-2016, 01:53 PM
James Jones speaking the truth.

"You've got to look at yourself in the mirror and correct stuff," Jones said. "You can't be sugar coating nothing. It's not the real thing. If we ain't scoring points, we ain't scoring points. You can't go in the mirror and look in there and say we're scoring points.

"Everybody in here is a professional. They're a man. We know what we've got to do. We've got to pull our weight. We've got to score some points and they know we've got to get this thing rolling if we want to get to where we've got to go."

Well, we have a winner of the cliche contest. I'm shocked he didn't mention giving 110%

Freak Out
01-07-2016, 02:16 PM
JJ needs to ditch the hoody this week.

Freak Out
01-07-2016, 02:17 PM
JJ needs to ditch the hoody this week.

Although it would be cool as hell to see him catch a ball with it.

Fritz
01-07-2016, 02:28 PM
Then he would be "hoody genius" and Bretsky would have much man-love for him!

woodbuck27
01-07-2016, 02:40 PM
17 players on the injury report....that's a season high. Things are not trending in the right direction.

It's the Did NOT Participate (s) a total of six......that concern me. Key players among that group !

Two on the OL starting ... LT and G; a solid LBer and our NO. 1 CB.

Teamcheez1
01-07-2016, 03:08 PM
It's the Did NOT Participate (s) a total of six......that concern me. Key players among that group !

Two on the OL starting ... LT and G; a solid LBer and our NO. 1 CB.

Shields - There was another waste of $10M.

Maxie the Taxi
01-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Well, we have a winner of the cliche contest. I'm shocked he didn't mention giving 110%I'm not. He just doesn't understand metaphors.

mraynrand
01-07-2016, 03:55 PM
Shields - There was another waste of $10M.

All the king's gold and all the king's men couldn't keep Shields off the report again.

denverYooper
01-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 2h2 hours ago

Some injury report upgrades: Bakhtiari, Perillo and Sitton, DNP to limited; Linsley, Perry and Taylor, limited to full.

pbmax
01-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Although it would be cool as hell to see him catch a ball with it.

The football internet would melt if he had one arm pinned by the DB, and used the other to open the hoodie to deflect or catch the ball. I think Florio would implode.

pbmax
01-07-2016, 08:18 PM
They must love Linsley, because thought Tretter was lights out with the exception of one snap.

Speaking of which, can the new backup, backup center earn a Fuckdoggle by simply being unnoticed?

woodbuck27
01-08-2016, 07:32 AM
The words are:

'spectacular' and 'effort' and 'happy':

These words I'd use to describe the inspirational play by Green Bay Packer kicker Mason Crosby on the very dangerous Cordarrelle Patterson's kick return from one yard into the Viking end zone all the way into Packer territory at about the 32 yard line. He was gone ! Yet...........

Packer Kicker Mason Crosby moving to his right, strips the Vikings speedy WR/kick returner Cordarrelle Patterson of the football and the Packers recover with 5:21 remaining in the 4th Qtr. and down by a converted TD .... Vikings 20-13.

It looked like C. Patterson was going all the way before Crosby got it done. Look carefully at Mason Crosby's positioning on that play and the athleticism he demonstrates to make that strip. I'm very impressed with his ( at that time ) Mason Crosby's game saving effort.

Here it is ( I hope :-) ... ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNBCNCH1Pb0

I've not seen much of late on the Packer side that I'd describe as ' inspirational ' but this certainly qualifies:

If I was in his (MM's) place. I'd talk about that effort before the team and use it as a spring board to offer something positive from the NFCN Championship loss to the Minnesota Vikings; to hopefully inspire a Packer win this Sunday in Washington.

I saw stuff in that game that I feel will help lead the Packers over the Redskins. Sometimes, well often in sports........ it's baby steps.

The Mason Crosby effort is one very huge baby step.

Packer HC Mike McCarthy has to use stuff like this to 'Fire Up his team'. It's certainly in the past but every BIG play that might be used to inspire is right there and for the future. I believe that particular play just might be the ticket to inspired play on behalf of the Packer team as a whole and victory in this upcoming Wild Card game. The weather may be perfect for the best in Packer football. I hope for really cold.

When we're witnessing a seasom like we have as Packer fans....we have to draw on something.

As Packer fan on this forum:

I keep trying to push home the importance of a positive outlook and Packers fr. Packer Nation good support, in terms of karma and winning. I've never seen any team win when down mentally or emotionally. Inspiration to give more can come from many sources. It has to come from the individuals contribution in the form of a gut check....digging deep inside for effort to meet pride.

There's still fire in the belly of this 2015-16 Packer team. MM simply has to motivate the team on both sides of the football ... make it hotter. MM has to be the ultimate leader for the Green Bay Packers or turn the HC job over to someone who can get that done.

I believe in my heart of hearts that MM is done. Yet...........here's the rub.

There's still the core Packer fan in me that screams ...NO. MM has to somehow NOT disappoint me. Not disappoint Packer Nation.

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !!

pbmax
01-08-2016, 08:00 AM
M3 PC Thursday Edition: c/o Journal Sentinel, Michael Cohen: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/364520551.html

Sam Shields is still going through the protocol. It’s obviously a process. Everybody’s injury is different.

Danone Jones, he was out of town. I have not got the report on him yet.

It depends what your definition of who you are is (asked about team's identity now). We feel we’re a balanced football team that can play well in all three areas.

(On the difficulty of generating running plays) First of all, Josh Sitton needs to play guard. That’s where he’ll play this week. He’ll play left guard. … How you go into a game and which direction the game takes you, it usually (changes) every time you line up and play the game of football.

(On the 2010 defense) I think we’ve had way too much personnel change to compare those two. There was a lot more base defense back then compared to now. … The confidence and the cohesiveness, there’s definitely a lot of similarities in that aspect.

Well, that was really part of the plan last week was to do more two-tight end personnel groups. We’re definitely leaning that way when we game plan and try to run the ball and run play action off of it. (asked about Quarless)

It’s going to take the week to determine Bach's status. The practice plan for him today is going to be adjusted.

IF DATONE WAS ATTENDING TO A FAMILY MATTER, OK. IF ITS A SECOND OPINION, THAT HURTS.

IF SITTON IS AT GUARD, THAT HAS TO MEAN TRETTER AT LEFT TACKLE IF NOT BACH, RIGHT?

QUARLESS QUESTION CLEARLY ASKED BY RAND.

Fosco33
01-08-2016, 08:00 AM
Shocked at how much negative press is around pack. Rifts b/w arod and m3. Offense issues. Injuries. Calling for coaching changes. Drug allegations.

I like to think of myself as a realist but also a contrarian.

So I'm saying fuck all the drama bullshit - go pack!

Patler
01-08-2016, 08:11 AM
IF DATONE WAS ATTENDING TO A FAMILY MATTER, OK. IF ITS A SECOND OPINION, THAT HURTS.

IF SITTON IS AT GUARD, THAT HAS TO MEAN TRETTER AT LEFT TACKLE IF NOT BACH, RIGHT?

QUARLESS QUESTION CLEARLY ASKED BY RAND.

Good Lord, is Datone Jones going to be the next Packer with a career ending neck injury?

As for LT, might they be thinking Bulaga to LT, and Barclay in at RT, where he wasn't quite as awful? or maybe Tretter to RT? After all, Bulaga was all set to be the LT just a few years ago.

Patler
01-08-2016, 08:14 AM
They must love Linsley, because thought Tretter was lights out with the exception of one snap.

Tretter takes over in preseason next year, IF he stays healthy.

pbmax
01-08-2016, 08:23 AM
Good Lord, is Datone Jones going to be the next Packer with a career ending neck injury?

As for LT, might they be thinking Bulaga to LT, and Barclay in at RT, where he wasn't quite as awful? or maybe Tretter to RT? After all, Bulaga was all set to be the LT just a few years ago.

I feel for James Campen because Barclay looked worse at RT earlier this year. His first emergency stint at LT was a nice surprise. It just didn't last.

You'd have to hope that improvement on the Left means he is closer to his 2013 form.

Bretsky
01-08-2016, 08:30 AM
I've changed my mind and think Green Bay is going to win now. I think Seattle takes down Minnesota as well and then GB gets bounced hard vs. Carolina

Cheesehead Craig
01-08-2016, 08:32 AM
I've changed my mind and think Green Bay is going to win now. I think Seattle takes down Minnesota as well and then GB gets bounced hard vs. Carolina

If both Seattle and GB win, then GB plays AZ in a not-so-fun rematch.

Fosco33
01-08-2016, 08:57 AM

I think Seattle also beats Carolina. If pack can pull a miracle revenge game vs cards - then it'll be nfcc at lambeau for another epic rematch. We can dream...

Harlan Huckleby
01-08-2016, 09:46 AM
The emphatic way that MM said Sitton was going back to guard, and that the running game would improve, is about as close to an admission of making a mistake as we're likely to get out of Coach Cleats. Last week's lineup hurt both running game and pass protection.

pbmax
01-08-2016, 09:47 AM
^ Also got the sense that it wasn't an option he came up with, but approved.

Harlan Huckleby
01-08-2016, 09:50 AM
I just hope Quarless is eating big breakfasts this week, all-you-can-eat flapjacks at IHOP, to prepare for his LT debut.

Pugger
01-08-2016, 10:37 AM

Your user name looks familiar. :grin:

Pugger
01-08-2016, 10:39 AM

I saw some photos of the ladies in GB sewing on these patches. I noticed Rodgers' "C" on his patch is gold where as the others' were white. Does anyone here know what this signifies?

Pugger
01-08-2016, 10:40 AM

Even if we lose to Washington this Sunday McCarthy isn't going anywhere.

Pugger
01-08-2016, 10:48 AM
The emphatic way that MM said Sitton was going back to guard, and that the running game would improve, is about as close to an admission of making a mistake as we're likely to get out of Coach Cleats. Last week's lineup hurt both running game and pass protection.

It also shows Mac knows Barclay is terrible at LT so other than Tretter he didn't have many options last week. :-|

Rutnstrut
01-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Even if we lose to Washington this Sunday McCarthy isn't going anywhere.

You mean he will stay in Washington? Cool they won't even let him on the plane if they lose.

Fosco33
01-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Now Randall hurts his groin. Shields unlikely to play. Ugh

ThunderDan
01-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Now Randall hurts his groin. Shields unlikely to play. Ugh

Yup, 53 player roster and 18 are on the injury report. 34% of the team listed.

mraynrand
01-08-2016, 12:22 PM
The football internet would melt if he had one arm pinned by the DB, and used the other to open the hoodie to deflect or catch the ball. I think Florio would implode.

would top the Tyree catch to be sure.

mraynrand
01-08-2016, 12:26 PM

Speaking of which, can the new backup, backup center earn a Fuckdoggle by simply being unnoticed?

Was it my imagination, or was Linsley manhandled and walked back into the RB by Kendricks on Sunday?

pbmax
01-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Was it my imagination, or was Linsley manhandled and walked back into the RB by Kendricks on Sunday?

I don't remember that but its possible. His pass blocking has taken a step back. Teams must have found something on him.

More distressing was that two guy whiff with Lane Taylor and Linsley when they both let a DT get loose as they went out wide. That was the Vikes game right? Looked like Buster Keaton sketch.

pbmax
01-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2h2 hours ago
For #Packers, Bakhtiari is questionable and Shields doubtful. Randall, added to report on Thursday, is probable. List steady at 18 players.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 2h2 hours ago
Sam Shields (concussion) is doubtful on the latest injury report. Bakhtiari, Elliott, Datone Jones and Perillo are questionable.

pbmax
01-08-2016, 05:42 PM
Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 48m48 minutes ago
Momentum of entering NFL playoffs on a winning streak really doesn't matter http://www.footballoutsiders.com/game-previews/2016/afc-wild-card-playoff-preview-2016 …

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYO4xHeU0AAtM3G.png:large

THANK GOD!

mraynrand
01-08-2016, 05:48 PM
Momentum is not measured by wins alone. Against Vikings, Packers were on a huge roll until Rodgers' INT! :). In AZ, Tolzien had a 100% completion percentage. These are things the Packers can build on!

woodbuck27
01-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 48m48 minutes ago
Momentum of entering NFL playoffs on a winning streak really doesn't matter http://www.footballoutsiders.com/game-previews/2016/afc-wild-card-playoff-preview-2016 …

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYO4xHeU0AAtM3G.png:large

THANK GOD!

Well then ..... we're all set.

GO PACK GO !

Joemailman
01-08-2016, 07:22 PM
A prediction, if it comes true, brings back the Fuckdoggle thread:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000619330/article/bold-predictions-jeff-janis-to-the-rescue-for-packers

Jeff Janis breaks out for Packers

As uninspiring as the Packers have been for three months, they are going to need a secret weapon to beat a Redskins team playing their best ball of the season. That weapon is special teams dynamo Jeff Janis, who will finally inject a much-needed speed element into a somnambulant offense. Janis will make a pair of game-changing plays against a suspect Redskins secondary that has a dirty habit of blowing coverages and missing tackles at inopportune times. The Packers will pull off the "upset," buoyed by their fifth wide receiver. -- Chris Wesseling

Fritz
01-09-2016, 08:21 AM
I have been told that Janis reads Packerrats, and that once he found out about the Fuckdoggle, he went nuts. He loved it. So he deliberately dialed back his wide receiver play, to set up this very scenario. He wants a playoff Fuckdoggle, bad.

As to the game, I think the loss of Shields and Jones is really going to hurt this defense. In fact, after reading all of us talking about a game that will be some kind of defensive struggle - that kind of 17-13, 22-19 kind of thing - what I predict will happen is that the final score will be something like 41-38. It'll be like a 1983 Packer playoff game, and we'll all be asking what the hell happened to our defense that day.

mraynrand
01-09-2016, 10:11 AM
As to the game, I think the loss of Shields and Jones is really going to hurt this defense. In fact, after reading all of us talking about a game that will be some kind of defensive struggle - that kind of 17-13, 22-19 kind of thing - what I predict will happen is that the final score will be something like 41-38. It'll be like a 1983 Packer playoff game, and we'll all be asking what the hell happened to our defense that day.

With the injuries and the opposition, it seems to be trending that way. Good observation.

Smidgeon
01-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Does any player go so deep into the rabbit hole that they read Packer Rats?

mraynrand
01-09-2016, 10:46 AM
Does any player go so deep into the rabbit hole that they read Packer Rats?

I hope so.

pbmax
01-09-2016, 02:25 PM
Their girlfriend's do. Has to have happened.

Fritz
01-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Torrance Marshall's girlfriend was never quite the same after she did.

red
01-09-2016, 03:06 PM
maybe we did throw that last game so we could go on the road and play the skins, they are the one team in the playoffs that i think we have a shot at beating

we also know our team sucks in the cold, and it will be damn cold in green bay tomorrow

maybe there is someone smart in this organization that looks and thinks ahead?????????

LOL, nah

mraynrand
01-09-2016, 07:33 PM
LOL, nah

:)

call_me_ishmael
01-09-2016, 08:52 PM
Only 2 of 11 SI reporters have Packers advancing. Yeesh.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/08/2016-nfl-playoff-predictions-super-bowl-50

Pugger
01-09-2016, 11:30 PM
http://nflpickwatch.com/

pbmax
01-09-2016, 11:32 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 24m24 minutes ago
Imagine GB's defense with Shazier. As far as I know - and no one really knows other than TT - but that was their guy in that draft.

wist43
01-09-2016, 11:37 PM
TT thinks having extra late round picks is more important than going after difference makers...

As for the game - I'll be surprised if we win. We're simply not a very good football team. Not that the Redskins are "all that"... but I think they're better than the Packers.

Pugger
01-09-2016, 11:37 PM
Too bad Pitt had an earlier pick than we did.

smuggler
01-10-2016, 01:27 AM

Qft

wist43
01-10-2016, 05:16 AM

It wouldn't have taken a ransom to get up in front of them... as TT always says, "... we let the board come to us". He isn't willing to move around to target players.

Besides, ILB is one of those positions that TT thinks he can fill with bartenders - at least he stuck to that position until it became so obvious that something dramatic had to be done just to field a competent player in there that they finally moved Matthews inside.

Clinton-Dix has been okay, but certainly not a difference maker.

When it comes to defense, the entire Packer organization just doesn't seem to see the field clearly... impactful players that we as armchair GM's see, TT spits on and takes what turn out to be lesser players - it happens all the time. 3 players from last year that I really liked, and played positions of need that TT spit on were McKinney, Darby, and Mauldin.

Instead of any of those 3 we end up with light tackling Randall and slug-footed Jake Ryan... and so it goes with TT. Darby is looking like a future pro-bowler, McKinney was solid and looks to have more upside than Randall, and Mauldin looked good too.

Whereas Randall tackles like a cheerleader, and Jake Ryan has a very low ceiling.

Bossman641
01-10-2016, 09:06 AM
It wouldn't have taken a ransom to get up in front of them... as TT always says, "... we let the board come to us". He isn't willing to move around to target players.

Besides, ILB is one of those positions that TT thinks he can fill with bartenders - at least he stuck to that position until it became so obvious that something dramatic had to be done just to field a competent player in there that they finally moved Matthews inside.

Clinton-Dix has been okay, but certainly not a difference maker.

When it comes to defense, the entire Packer organization just doesn't seem to see the field clearly... impactful players that we as armchair GM's see, TT spits on and takes what turn out to be lesser players - it happens all the time. 3 players from last year that I really liked, and played positions of need that TT spit on were McKinney, Darby, and Mauldin.

Instead of any of those 3 we end up with light tackling Randall and slug-footed Jake Ryan... and so it goes with TT. Darby is looking like a future pro-bowler, McKinney was solid and looks to have more upside than Randall, and Mauldin looked good too.

Whereas Randall tackles like a cheerleader, and Jake Ryan has a very low ceiling.

Randall has probably been one of the best defensive rookies this year. You were wrong about him. It's time to admit it.

red
01-10-2016, 09:29 AM
oh good, 20 mph winds in DC today

should help a-rod with his accuracy

and i'm sure stubby is smart enough NOT to call 60 passes today in those conditions :roll:

mraynrand
01-10-2016, 10:08 AM
Redskins are kind of a passing team too - and Cousins has a weaker arm. Now watch them throw for 400.

Freak Out
01-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Just pound the ball with Fatty and the Plug!

wist43
01-10-2016, 02:00 PM
Randall has probably been one of the best defensive rookies this year. You were wrong about him. It's time to admit it.

Randall is what he is... good hands, good ball skills - shitty tackler, and a typical Green Bay finesse DB.

I wanted Darby, and between the two - Randall can't hold Darby's jock.

Jake Ryan?? isn't even close to either McKinney or Mauldin. He's a severely limited player.

I don't like soft, light-hitting players - and never will. I give credit where credit is due... I've liked a lot of the players Ted has drafted - I just see them as being a bad fit on the defensive side; and, on offense, I hate their philosophy wrt the OL - and always will.

Rastak
01-10-2016, 02:13 PM
Sounds like Bacteria is out today.

wist43
01-10-2016, 03:18 PM
Sounds like Bacteria is out today.

Too bad about the loss Rastak... I was pulling for Minnesota.

We'll likely be joining you on the sidelines in about 4 hours.

ThunderDan
01-10-2016, 03:19 PM
V
Randall is what he is... good hands, good ball skills - shitty tackler, and a typical Green Bay finesse DB.

I wanted Darby, and between the two - Randall can't hold Darby's jock.

Jake Ryan?? isn't even close to either McKinney or Mauldin. He's a severely limited player.

I don't like soft, light-hitting players - and never will. I give credit where credit is due... I've liked a lot of the players Ted has drafted - I just see them as being a bad fit on the defensive side; and, on offense, I hate their philosophy wrt the OL - and always will.
Randall had more tackles than all the OLBs. Only clay and Palmer had more of all the LBs.

KalamazooPackerFan
01-10-2016, 03:35 PM
A rare occurrence......going into the game with no expectations and a completely neutral sense of who is going to win. So let's get the game on!

Bretsky
01-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Then he would be "hoody genius" and Bretsky would have much man-love for him!

lol; that is funny....however there is only one hoody coach genius and one hoody OC genius (McDaniels). Maybe the destiny for JJ is New England to join their group !

I"m not sure how I could ever love James Jones though. Even when he was here before I thought his routes were crap and he was made by exceptional QB throws. Seems the same now.

Bretsky
01-10-2016, 04:18 PM
Shocked at how much negative press is around pack. Rifts b/w arod and m3. Offense issues. Injuries. Calling for coaching changes. Drug allegations.

I like to think of myself as a realist but also a contrarian.

So I'm saying fuck all the drama bullshit - go pack!

What are the drug allegations ???

Bretsky
01-10-2016, 04:20 PM

GB matches up terribly with AZ

So if we win today we lose about 4 draft spots and probably the Alabama ILB an get bounced next week. IF we lose today we get a better draft pick....hmmm

esoxx
01-10-2016, 05:01 PM
What are the drug allegations ???

Mike Neal per Al jazeera.

red
01-10-2016, 05:07 PM
Mike Neal per Al jazeera.

yup, he was named in the same story that peyton manning was named in, and clay, and peppers

Freak Out
01-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Sex, drugs and Rock and Roll! Where are the tits Red!!!