PDA

View Full Version : Official 2016 NFL draft thread

red
01-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Yup, its time. We need something to look forward to, other then crashing and burning out of the playoffs

So, by my count, with our first round pick we need to draft a tackle, a TE, and ILB, another feel threat WR, AND probably an OLB

With one pick

So, who are we looking for?

pbmax
01-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Feel threat? Is that a James Lofton joke?

mraynrand
01-04-2016, 07:36 PM

Hey there! Go easy on my old buddy James.

red
01-04-2016, 07:38 PM

Deep threat

Also could be a joke in there

mraynrand
01-04-2016, 07:44 PM
I wanted to be a quadruple threat...

Joemailman
01-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Yup, its time. We need something to look forward to, other then crashing and burning out of the playoffs

So, by my count, with our first round pick we need to draft a tackle, a TE, and ILB, another feel threat WR, AND probably an OLB

With one pick

I think it's going to be OT or WR. Probably no TE's worth taking in 1st round. Reggie Raglind, ILB, Alabama a possibility, but might not be available.

A lot of people have TT taking DT in 1st round with Raji and Guion free agents.

Iron Mike
01-04-2016, 10:06 PM

I'm hoping for a Scooby Snack.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPiIkl4TWgI

Joemailman
01-04-2016, 10:20 PM
Scooby Wright is rated a 3rd round pick right now.

Iron Mike
01-04-2016, 10:41 PM
Scooby Wright is rated a 3rd round pick right now.

Former 1st-round cinch with a injury history that now drops him two rounds. It's an obvious TT pick.....

mraynrand
01-04-2016, 10:49 PM
I'm hoping for a Scooby Snack.....

I was out in the desert for the AZ debacle, and they love this guy out there. Can't stop talking about him. One thing to note though is that he's probably a little slow to solve ILB coverage issues. He's 4.74-495, not Urlacher fast (4.57).

Deputy Nutz
01-05-2016, 09:38 AM
The packers have holes all over the place in 2015, except cornerback. So as far as a need pick Thompson can't really go wrong. He can take a defensive lineman, an offensive lineman, linebacker, tight end, receiver.

Packer needs according to Nutz 5.0 scale
1. Inside linebacker 4.75/5.0
2. Tight end 4.5/5.0
3. Offensive line 4.0/5.0
4. Receiver 3.8/5.0
5. Defensive line 3.0/5.0
6. Outside linebacker 3.0/5.0
7. Running back 2.5/5.0
8. Defensive back 2.0/5.0
9. Quarterback 1.0/5.0

Teamcheez1
01-05-2016, 09:53 AM
According to your priority list, TT will be drafting either a Defensive Back or QB in the 1st round.

pbmax
01-05-2016, 10:41 AM
I would put D line at the RB number and move Outside Linebacker up. Peppers is another year older, Perry, Neal and Jones could all be gone for different reasons.

Fritz
01-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Though drafting an ILB who can really play would increase the OLB population by one Pro Bowl player.

Deputy Nutz
01-05-2016, 11:36 AM
The Packers need to move Clay Mathews back to the outside if they want to maximize his value. He does not have the instincts to play the middle or the skill set. If you prioritize ILB then you kill two birds with one stone with moving Clay back to the OLB.

Raji is a free agent in 2016. He has had a good year as NG and will get a decent contract. The Packers probably won't pay a whole lot since they wrapped up a bit of salary in Daniels.

Starks is also a free agent, but he can be had cheaper than Raji, although if TT decides not to bring him back the Packers have zero depth behind Lacy, and Lacy is not the most dedicated player.

Freak Out
01-05-2016, 11:42 AM
How can OL not be atop everyone's list? Or a GM? LOL

Deputy Nutz
01-05-2016, 12:05 PM
First Round talent for consideration for the Packers
Hunter Henry TE, JR, Arkansas: Pass catching TE that lines up in the slot and is rarely asked to block.
Germain Ifedi OT, JR, Texas A&M: Long Arms and is tough to push back, tends to grab. Can play guard and both tackle positions
Jack Conklin OT,JR, Michigan St: Walked on to MSU and earned a scholarship and started at left tackle as a redshirt freshman, good in the run game, Smart
Reggie Ragland ILB, SR, Alabama: this is a reach to think that he will fall to the Packers, but if they want a first rounder he is the only one
Josh Doctson WR, SR, Texas Christian: Plays the ball really well, technique is good, but frame is off putting
Michael Thomas WR, Jr, Ohio St: Good route runner, strong frame to attack the middle of the field, not an explosive threat down field
Jonathan Allen DE, Jr, Alabama" Can rush from the inside or outside. Thick build as a 5 tech tackle.
Jarran Reed DT, Sr, Alabama: Anchor on the defensive line, juco kid took time to adjust.
Noah Spence OLB, JR, Eastern Kentucky: big hybrid type and loves Ecstasy!

Carolina_Packer
01-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Not too many plug and play LT's drafted in the mid-20's where the Packers will likely be slotted, save for a miracle playoff run. Joe Staley was picked #28 by S.F. in 2007. Marshal Yanda was selected in the 3rd round of that same year. That's likely the type of value they would be looking for. Could they be looking to replace/reposition Bahktiari? Sure, but if they are not, they just need some more quality depth. If they do draft a LT first, I think David will be on the move to a different position. If the draft slot says the pick has the right value and the need is certainly there, then by all means, do it. Otherwise, BPA should always win the pick.

Maxie the Taxi
01-05-2016, 02:49 PM
The packers have holes all over the place in 2015, except cornerback. So as far as a need pick Thompson can't really go wrong. He can take a defensive lineman, an offensive lineman, linebacker, tight end, receiver.

Packer needs according to Nutz 5.0 scale
1. Inside linebacker 4.75/5.0
2. Tight end 4.5/5.0
3. Offensive line 4.0/5.0
4. Receiver 3.8/5.0
5. Defensive line 3.0/5.0
6. Outside linebacker 3.0/5.0
7. Running back 2.5/5.0
8. Defensive back 2.0/5.0
9. Quarterback 1.0/5.0

I really don't see how we can fill these needs immediately and/or with good players by means of the draft only. ...I'm sure someone will explain it to me.

It's also interesting that pretty much this same set of needs existed last year. My criteria for my mock drafts of last year used the following criteria:

1) Improve ILB speed and playmaking ability against the run and pass; 2) Improve CB physicality and attitude against the run and not sacrifice coverage; 3) Improve 3rd down and red zone options, especially via the pass [and this was when Jordy was healthy]; 4) Improve defensive line against the run; 5) Improve special teams; and 6) Improve team speed in general.

I also felt we needed a QB for the future and another OTackle given last year's injury-ridden Oline. But these were not pressing, priority needs.

Assuming these criteria were reasonable, TT's draft was weak. He accomplished #2 by drafting Randall and Rollins. He drafted Montgomery to accomplish #5, as well as add a WR. He drafted Ryan to accomplish #1, but Ryan is of doubtful value and slow. Even Montgomery is not a burner. By selecting Hundley TT sacrificed a present need (#3) for a QB of the future. Really, his last four picks (Hundley, Ripkowski, Ringo and Backman were development projects for the future. Moreover, he didn't really improve team speed on offense. If he had drafted a Tyler Lockette or a Stephan Diggs to return KO's or a MyCole Pruitt at TE he would have added team speed on offense.

So, TT's draft was pretty much a fail relative to my criteria, except for his first three picks.

The point of #1 was to free up Clay to move back to OLB. Drafting Stephone Anthony or Erik Kendricks would have done that, plus added significantly to team speed on defense. This draft was deep in CB's, so TT might have still found a starter in the 2nd round (or in free agency).

The biggest TT fail IMO was not accomplishing #3. Converting on 3rd downs and in the Red Zone has been a real problem this year. Yes, a healthy Montgomery and Nelson would have helped, but a speedy, pass catching, 3rd down RB like David Johnson or Marcus Murphy maybe would have solved the problem completely and/or a tall, speedy WR/TE like Devin Funchess or Darren Waller.

Obviously, looking at last year's draft in hindsight is not fair. Not all the guys I mentioned were available to TT and choosing one of them might mean we wouldn't have a guy like Randle. But in a roundabout way, that is my point. The draft can never fill all of our needs, present and future. TT must, IMO, supplement the draft with more, key free agents that might be good, one or two-year stop gap solutions to present needs.

Joemailman
01-05-2016, 02:57 PM
If they draft an OT in the 1st, they probably won't be looking for him to start in 2016. But you never know how things work out. Bulaga has never played every game. Bulaga wasn't going to start as a rookie in 2010 but then Tauscher got hurt. But looking ahead a year, Sitton, Lang, Bakhtiari and Tretter are all set to be UDFA's following 2016. Chances are, they won't all be back, so the LT position could be open in 2017. Drafting an OT makes a lot of sense. Better chance of an OT worth a 1st round pick being available when the Packers pick than an ILB or TE. Right now I see the Packers 1st round pick being an OT, DT or WR.

Smidgeon
01-05-2016, 05:00 PM
I really don't see how we can fill these needs immediately and/or with good players by means of the draft only. ...I'm sure someone will explain it to me.

It's also interesting that pretty much this same set of needs existed last year. My criteria for my mock drafts of last year used the following criteria:

I also felt we needed a QB for the future and another OTackle given last year's injury-ridden Oline. But these were not pressing, priority needs.

Assuming these criteria were reasonable, TT's draft was weak. He accomplished #2 by drafting Randall and Rollins. He drafted Montgomery to accomplish #5, as well as add a WR. He drafted Ryan to accomplish #1, but Ryan is of doubtful value and slow. Even Montgomery is not a burner. By selecting Hundley TT sacrificed a present need (#3) for a QB of the future. Really, his last four picks (Hundley, Ripkowski, Ringo and Backman were development projects for the future. Moreover, he didn't really improve team speed on offense. If he had drafted a Tyler Lockette or a Stephan Diggs to return KO's or a MyCole Pruitt at TE he would have added team speed on offense.

So, TT's draft was pretty much a fail relative to my criteria, except for his first three picks.

The point of #1 was to free up Clay to move back to OLB. Drafting Stephone Anthony or Erik Kendricks would have done that, plus added significantly to team speed on defense. This draft was deep in CB's, so TT might have still found a starter in the 2nd round (or in free agency).

The biggest TT fail IMO was not accomplishing #3. Converting on 3rd downs and in the Red Zone has been a real problem this year. Yes, a healthy Montgomery and Nelson would have helped, but a speedy, pass catching, 3rd down RB like David Johnson or Marcus Murphy maybe would have solved the problem completely and/or a tall, speedy WR/TE like Devin Funchess or Darren Waller.

Obviously, looking at last year's draft in hindsight is not fair. Not all the guys I mentioned were available to TT and choosing one of them might mean we wouldn't have a guy like Randle. But in a roundabout way, that is my point. The draft can never fill all of our needs, present and future. TT must, IMO, supplement the draft with more, key free agents that might be good, one or two-year stop gap solutions to present needs.

Which means it wasn't a fail because his high draft picks all addressed things on your list. Low draft picks are all developmental based on projection.

But to address your other point that free agency adds to a team's value, I submit the following article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2604702-monday-morning-hangover-playoff-teams-prove-its-best-to-spend-smart-not-big

5 of the top 25 free agents going into last year made the playoffs. Sure, free agents can help, but by and large, the core of a team, the part that will help drive them to and through the playoffs comes through the draft. Picking up bit/role players for cheap helps supplement it, but anyone looking for a splash free agent to plug holes only needs to look across the entire league and the entire playoff field to see that it just doesn't work that way.

Bretsky
01-05-2016, 10:25 PM
DEAR TED...................GO GET HIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm

Reggie Ragland ILB, SR, Alabama: this is a reach to think that he will fall to the Packers, but if they want a first rounder he is the only one

Joemailman
01-05-2016, 10:39 PM
DEAR TED...................GO GET HIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm

If the Packers lose this weekend they'll be picking 21-22. There's a chance Ragland could be there. If they win they'll be picking 25 or later, which would greatly reduce the chances.

Another interesting guy is Jaylon Smith of Notre Dame. He was considered a top 10 pick before a leg injury in the Fiesta Bowl. He could be in play if teams downgrade him because of the injury. He is an OLB, but some project him inside. He has superior coverage skills to Ragland.

Edit: Smith has torn ACL/MCL. It was expected he would turn pro, although he has not made an announcement.

Bretsky
01-05-2016, 10:54 PM
Hate the Data you just provided; we don't have a punchers chance for a title. Since we play with ourselves throughout free agency and use that at PTO, they desperately need a ILB to get Matthews back outside to give us another title shot.

mraynrand
01-05-2016, 11:51 PM
Which means it wasn't a fail because his high draft picks all addressed things on your list. Low draft picks are all developmental based on projection.

Amen

ThunderDan
01-06-2016, 08:21 AM

No, no , no. You know that isn't how it is supposed to work.

High draft picks are All-Pros. Low draft picks are Pro-Bowlers.

Maxie the Taxi
01-06-2016, 09:22 AM

But to address your other point that free agency adds to a team's value, I submit the following article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2604702-monday-morning-hangover-playoff-teams-prove-its-best-to-spend-smart-not-big

5 of the top 25 free agents going into last year made the playoffs. Sure, free agents can help, but by and large, the core of a team, the part that will help drive them to and through the playoffs comes through the draft. Picking up bit/role players for cheap helps supplement it, but anyone looking for a splash free agent to plug holes only needs to look across the entire league and the entire playoff field to see that it just doesn't work that way.

So, Smidge, are you saying that if a team has more than 3 pressing needs, then the draft cannot fill all the team needs? If so, what then?

Are you saying that the Packers should never enter the free agency market to fill needs?

The article you posted is crap, poorly written and poorly researched. Just look at the Packer championship teams going back all the way to Lombardi and you'll find them "Packed" with non-drafted vet players that were brought in to fill needs.

Willie Davis, Henry Jordan, Zeke Bratkowski, Carroll Dale, Lee Roy Caffey, Ben Wilson, Chuck Mercein, Don Chandler, Brett Favre, Jim McMahon, Don Beebe, Andre Rison, Desmond Howard, Keith Jackson, Frank Winters, Reggie White, Sean Jones, Santana Dotson, Gilbert Brown, Ron Cox, Mike Prior, Eugene Robinson, Ahman Green, Howard Green, Ryan Pickett, Erik Walden, Charles Woodson, Ryan Grant...

Are you saying Green Bay could have been just as successful over the years by developing players only by the draft and by not making these trades or signing these free agents?

mraynrand
01-06-2016, 09:39 AM
So, Smidge, are you saying that if a team has more than 3 pressing needs, then the draft cannot fill all the team needs? If so, what then?

Maxie, the developmental guys (draft picks, rookie FAs) from the previous draft are supposed to come through. The best case scenarios are Driver and Shields.

Maxie the Taxi
01-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Maxie, the developmental guys (draft picks, rookie FAs) from the previous draft are supposed to come through. The best case scenarios are Driver and Shields.I understand this is how it is supposed to work. Lately it hasn't worked that way. So my question is: Then what?

Smidgeon
01-06-2016, 11:58 AM
No, no , no. You know that isn't how it is supposed to work.

High draft picks are All-Pros. Low draft picks are Pro-Bowlers.

I like the way you think.

mraynrand
01-06-2016, 12:02 PM
I understand this is how it is supposed to work. Lately it hasn't worked that way. So my question is: Then what?

look at fourth and lower:

2010 saw Starks and Shields. 2011 not so good. Daniels was a 4th in 2012. Hyde, Boyd, Palmer, and Barrington is a mixed bag in 2013 (Franklin career ending injury). 2014 Linsley, Abby and Janis have shown and still have the chance to show a lot of promise. What about Pennel?. 2015 - it's still too early. Hundley and Ripper and maybe Gunter could all be players...

Smidgeon
01-06-2016, 12:17 PM

Are you saying that the Packers should never enter the free agency market to fill needs?

The article you posted is crap, poorly written and poorly researched. Just look at the Packer championship teams going back all the way to Lombardi and you'll find them "Packed" with non-drafted vet players that were brought in to fill needs.

Willie Davis, Henry Jordan, Zeke Bratkowski, Carroll Dale, Lee Roy Caffey, Ben Wilson, Chuck Mercein, Don Chandler, Brett Favre, Jim McMahon, Don Beebe, Andre Rison, Desmond Howard, Keith Jackson, Frank Winters, Reggie White, Sean Jones, Santana Dotson, Gilbert Brown, Ron Cox, Mike Prior, Eugene Robinson, Ahman Green, Howard Green, Ryan Pickett, Erik Walden, Charles Woodson, Ryan Grant...

Are you saying Green Bay could have been just as successful over the years by developing players only by the draft and by not making these trades or signing these free agents?

How many of the free agents you mentioned were acquired before modern free agency? Ron Wolf said himself that he wasn't wired to run a team under today's rules. Meaning most of the guys you previously mentioned are before the current context, and therefore irrelevant.

I'm not saying not to try at all. Charles Woodson, Ryan Grant, Julius Peppers, all great because they've worked (but those were all major risks too: Woodson was wanted by only one other team and only as a safety, Ryan Grant was buried on the Giants roster, and Julius Peppers was projected to a new position and many thought he was done). But the modern context is one where big free agent signees do not put a team over the top (those that do are the exception, not the rule) and play off teams are built through the draft, unsigned free agents, and bargain free agents.

The way it's supposed to work is the top 3 rounds select BPAs that also magically fit the biggest needs on the team. The remaining rounds are simply BPAs that don't necessarily fit a need now, but could develop into real players, so they'd be available when the need arose. Between that, undrafted free agents, and bargain free agents, you build a team, a core. Free agents are supplements to support that core.

Woodson is a once in a generation free agency find. The last one like that the Packers found was Reggie White, more than a decade prior.

Maxie the Taxi
01-06-2016, 12:36 PM
look at fourth and lower:

2010 saw Starks and Shields. 2011 not so good. Daniels was a 4th in 2012. Hyde, Boyd, Palmer, and Barrington is a mixed bag in 2013 (Franklin career ending injury). 2014 Linsley, Abby and Janis have shown and still have the chance to show a lot of promise. What about Pennel?. 2015 - it's still too early. Hundley and Ripper and maybe Gunter could all be players...

I understand, really I do, but here's what I mean (two examples):

1) In the last five years the Packers have drafted four TE's, two of whom were busts, one is Backman and one is DickRod. If TT had signed Greg Olsen in 2011, he would have had four draft choices to spend on higher priorities. Maybe they could have gotten Stephone Anthony last year or taken a flyer on an ILB to develop the year before. Not to mention the fact that our offense would be much better not only in the last five years but also during this year's Jordy missing experience.

2) When TT failed to sign Tramon and House, he drafted two CB's in the 1st and 2nd rounds (some would say he had no choice). If he had signed House, say, or a FA CB like Charles Tillman, he might have been able to draft Anthony or a RB like David Johnson or a CB to develop. Again, immediate problem solved and the team improves.

So swearing off FA signings affects everything. Both examples are the Carolina Panthers.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. That's all I'm saying.

Maxie the Taxi
01-06-2016, 12:44 PM
How many of the free agents you mentioned were acquired before modern free agency? Ron Wolf said himself that he wasn't wired to run a team under today's rules. Meaning most of the guys you previously mentioned are before the current context, and therefore irrelevant.

I'm not saying not to try at all. Charles Woodson, Ryan Grant, Julius Peppers, all great because they've worked (but those were all major risks too: Woodson was wanted by only one other team and only as a safety, Ryan Grant was buried on the Giants roster, and Julius Peppers was projected to a new position and many thought he was done). But the modern context is one where big free agent signees do not put a team over the top (those that do are the exception, not the rule) and play off teams are built through the draft, unsigned free agents, and bargain free agents.

The way it's supposed to work is the top 3 rounds select BPAs that also magically fit the biggest needs on the team. The remaining rounds are simply BPAs that don't necessarily fit a need now, but could develop into real players, so they'd be available when the need arose. Between that, undrafted free agents, and bargain free agents, you build a team, a core. Free agents are supplements to support that core.

Woodson is a once in a generation free agency find. The last one like that the Packers found was Reggie White, more than a decade prior.

Our opinions are not that different. I'm not suggesting we change TT's draft-first philosophy of team building in favor of hog wild FA signings. I am suggesting that to avoid FA signings completely is a huge mistake. See the example below re: Carolina's signings of Olsen and Tillman.

You say FA's are a huge gamble. So are draft choices. But I'd rather gamble on a proven pro (say Joe Thomas or Mario Williams -- to use topical examples) rather than an untested rookie, especially to fill a critical hole in the offense or defense.

Smidgeon
01-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Our opinions are not that different. I'm not suggesting we change TT's draft-first philosophy of team building in favor of hog wild FA signings. I am suggesting that to avoid FA signings completely is a huge mistake. See the example below re: Carolina's signings of Olsen and Tillman.

You say FA's are a huge gamble. So are draft choices. But I'd rather gamble on a proven pro (say Joe Thomas or Mario Williams -- to use topical examples) rather than an untested rookie, especially to fill a critical hole in the offense or defense.

Olsen was a trade, so he doesn't count in the free agent angle. And if Tillman had been a bust? Our R1 and R2 easily project to be bookends for the Packers for the next decade. With Shields, they are set for quite a while. I'll take that over Tillman (who just tore an ACL and is out for likely half of next year...if he plays since he's old) and House/and old Tramon. We don't have to worry in a year or two about grabbing another Tillman or another House/Tramon.

As for your last statement, that's precisely the point. A proven pro doesn't translate as well as you imply. Unproven rookies tend to fit holes better. Why? I don't know. But that's what is happening right now in the NFL. Again, that doesn't mean to ignore the proven vet, it just means find one for the right price. Often, if the proven vet isn't in the right system, he's just a waste of money.

Replacing unproven rookies with proven vets just delays the inevitable. Tillman is 34 years old, ancient for a CB. Signing him would mean that we missed on Randall or Rollins and would be back with another need a year later.

Maxie the Taxi
01-06-2016, 01:22 PM
Olsen was a trade, so he doesn't count in the free agent angle. And if Tillman had been a bust? Our R1 and R2 easily project to be bookends for the Packers for the next decade. With Shields, they are set for quite a while. I'll take that over Tillman (who just tore an ACL and is out for likely half of next year...if he plays since he's old) and House/and old Tramon. We don't have to worry in a year or two about grabbing another Tillman or another House/Tramon.

As for your last statement, that's precisely the point. A proven pro doesn't translate as well as you imply. Unproven rookies tend to fit holes better. Why? I don't know. But that's what is happening right now in the NFL. Again, that doesn't mean to ignore the proven vet, it just means find one for the right price. Often, if the proven vet isn't in the right system, he's just a waste of money.

Replacing unproven rookies with proven vets just delays the inevitable. Tillman is 34 years old, ancient for a CB. Signing him would mean that we missed on Randall or Rollins and would be back with another need a year later.

Well, I ain't gonna beat this thing to death. I still think we're not that far apart. I count trades as FA because TT seems adverse to that avenue as well (except for trades up during the draft). As for our bookends, this draft was deep in CB's. A bunch of them could have been drafted lower to take Rollins' place.

I think money is the reason TT operates like he does. Rooks play for less salary than vets. Other teams do it differently with good results and they're vet friendly.

dsilby
01-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Well, I ain't gonna beat this thing to death. I still think we're not that far apart. I count trades as FA because TT seems adverse to that avenue as well (except for trades up during the draft). As for our bookends, this draft was deep in CB's. A bunch of them could have been drafted lower to take Rollins' place.

I think money is the reason TT operates like he does. Rooks play for less salary than vets. Other teams do it differently with good results and they're vet friendly.
Yes and no. I think money definitely plays a part which is why this team under Ted has never been in a bad salary cap situaiton. People sometimes complain that there's money under the cap, so go spend it. But it's smart having that reserve just incase you have the opportunity to go grab someone last second. I guess like having some money in savings in case of emergency.

I as well would like Ted to dabble in the free agent market if it's a lower risk signing. I have never been the fan of diving into the free agent market and paying that 1 guys huge dollars. Sure, it can work out. But not to often is "that guy" the reason a team makes the Super Bowl. Situations like Woodson where it was a solid gamble because nobody else wanted him or Peppers who people thought was washed up as well were good gambles.
But then you get teams like Seattle who traded away their pro bowl center for a pro bowl TE who got hurt. And now the team is actually playing better without Graham but the offensive line took a big hit. Now the Hawks don't have Graham or Unger and are out a #1 draft choice.

The Packers need a TE, another receiver and some line help. I think a receiver can be taken in the draft, but I'd like to see a free agent TE and O-lineman to get in here. A vet with experience. Doesn't have to be a big name guy, but someone who can get downfield.
Rodgers won't have this same season next year. If those few changes are made, this team is a Super Bowl contender again.

Joemailman
01-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Hate the Data you just provided; we don't have a punchers chance for a title. Since we play with ourselves throughout free agency and use that at PTO, they desperately need a ILB to get Matthews back outside to give us another title shot.

Why do some think this team desperately needs to move Clay outside? I think the defense has functioned quite well with him inside. In my opinion, what they need is an ILB with cover skills so that Clay doesn't have to drop into coverage so much. Problem is if you read the scouting reports on ILB's in the draft, ILB's with good cover skills are hard to find.

The more I think about it, the more I think maybe taking Kendricks last year would have been a good move. Not that Kendricks is necessarily a better player than Randall, but because it's easier to fing good CB's than it is ILB's with cover skills.

yetisnowman
01-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Honestly I doubt TT goes with a receiver in the first few rounds, unless a cant miss guy just falls in their lap. With Jordy and Monty coming back, he will trick himself into thinking it's not a position of need. Would be nice if he went after a free agent wr, again for depth. Jermaine Kearse, Nate Washington, a few of guys I think would be a good fit and not too expensive. Travis Benjamin.....pipe dream I'm sure. But this dude can fly. He racked up almost 1000 yds in Cleveland, imagine what he could in Green Bay. What we need this offseason, in order of importance(imo) 1)OT 2)ILB 3)TE 4)WR 5)DL 6)pass catching scat back. He needs to get 3 or 4 of these right, and at least take a stab at the other 2. Via free agency/trades/draft. A lot of this depends on what we do with our own free agents obviously. We need speed! we are treading water as the league passes us by, it's not 1965 anymore. Somehow I doubt Raglind falls into the 20s but he would be a score. Scooby Wright and Kendell Beckwith are guys I would also target at LB.

Joemailman
01-06-2016, 10:32 PM
1. Jack Conklin OT Michigan St.
2. Pharoh Cooper WR South Carolina
3. Scooby Wright ILB Arizona
4a. Tyler Higbee TE Western Kentucky
4b. La'Raven Clark T/G Texas Tech
4c. Aaron Green RB TCU
5. Jared Norris ILB Utah
6. Trent Matthews FS Colorado St.
7. Terrance Smith LB Florida St.

esoxx
01-06-2016, 11:07 PM
An OT from Michigan State with the first round pick?

What could go wrong?

pbmax
01-07-2016, 09:39 AM
Why do some think this team desperately needs to move Clay outside? I think the defense has functioned quite well with him inside. In my opinion, what they need is an ILB with cover skills so that Clay doesn't have to drop into coverage so much. Problem is if you read the scouting reports on ILB's in the draft, ILB's with good cover skills are hard to find.

The more I think about it, the more I think maybe taking Kendricks last year would have been a good move. Not that Kendricks is necessarily a better player than Randall, but because it's easier to fing good CB's than it is ILB's with cover skills.

How has Kendricks been against the run? Because while Matthews has shortcomings, he has bolstered the run D, even if it still bleeds a bug run now and then.

Maxie the Taxi
01-07-2016, 09:49 AM
ILB 52 Matthews, Clay ACT TCKL 66 SCK 6.5 FF 0 INT 1 GB

MLB 54 Kendricks, Eric ACT TCKL 92 SCK 4.0 FF 0 INT -- MIN

MLB 50 Anthony, StephoneACTTCKL 112 SCK 1.0 FF 2 INT 1 NO

pbmax
01-07-2016, 10:43 AM
Raw tackle totals are worthless normally, even mores for Matthews who spends 1/3 to 1/2 his game rushing the passer (where its either sack[rare] or nothing).

Has anyone watched enough of him to know if he would improve the run D or just coverage options?

Maxie the Taxi
01-07-2016, 11:03 AM
Raw tackle totals are worthless normally, even mores for Matthews who spends 1/3 to 1/2 his game rushing the passer (where its either sack[rare] or nothing).

Has anyone watched enough of him to know if he would improve the run D or just coverage options?I watched him Sunday. He looked good. And that's the truth. https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=OIP.M9a475376b7827cdf976ee77e0479635do0&pid=15.1&rs=1&c=1&qlt=95&w=159&h=120#inline

Cheesehead Craig
01-07-2016, 12:49 PM
He's fast and seems pretty solid in pass coverage because of that. I would argue that he's in a better scheme in MN and thus more productive.

But if the Pack took him, then people would start going nuts "We lost 2 CBs and TT is doing nothing to replace them! Does he even know who's on the roster?".

Then there would have been the cries of "Kendricks was taken too high, he was clearly a 2nd round talent TT took too soon, what a moron! He should be fired, heck someone from the Mets could do a better job!"

Overall there would have been a lot of flabbergastness, incredulousisity, and dumbfoundery. So you know, the usual Tuesday around here.

Smidgeon
01-07-2016, 01:05 PM
He's fast and seems pretty solid in pass coverage because of that. I would argue that he's in a better scheme in MN and thus more productive.

But if the Pack took him, then people would start going nuts "We lost 2 CBs and TT is doing nothing to replace them! Does he even know who's on the roster?".

Then there would have been the cries of "Kendricks was taken too high, he was clearly a 2nd round talent TT took too soon, what a moron! He should be fired, heck someone from the Mets could do a better job!"

Overall there would have been a lot of flabbergastness, incredulousisity, and dumbfoundery. So you know, the usual Tuesday around here.

Sounds about right. Except no one is complaining about his first two picks. Seriously, they were the starting CBs with the NFC North on the line...and Bridgewater was held to less than 100 yards throwing. Something tells me almost everyone is happy with the job those two have done.

Maxie the Taxi
01-07-2016, 01:52 PM
If TT had drafted Zach Ertz in 2013, we would have gone to the Super Bowl last year. Hindsight is fun.:cool:

mraynrand
01-07-2016, 01:54 PM
If TT had drafted Zach Ertz in 2013, we would have gone to the Super Bowl last year. Hindsight is fun.:cool:

Oh my Zach Ertz!

http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/45/57/87565745/photos/GI-Groin-Kicks/377326_105349432949401_517387462_n.jpg

mraynrand
01-07-2016, 01:55 PM

What could go wrong?

LOL

woodbuck27
01-07-2016, 04:26 PM
One man's look at the upcoming 2016 NFL DRAFT:

22 A'Shawn Robinson Alabama DL

23 Jonathan Allen Alabama EDGE

24 Jack Conklin Michigan State OT

25 Taylor Decker Ohio State OT

26 Eli Apple Ohio State CB

27 Darron Lee Ohio State LB

28 Maliek Collins Nebraska DL

Joemailman
01-07-2016, 05:33 PM

What could go wrong?

Time to exorcise those demons.

pbmax
01-07-2016, 08:15 PM

Don't get Tank started on Logan Mankins.

Joemailman
01-07-2016, 08:36 PM
Saw some mock drafts that have the Packers taking Ragland with a pick in the mid 20's. I still don't think he'll be available there. In 2014 Ryan Shazier went at 15 and C.J. Mosley at 17. That's about where I think Ragland will go. Last year the 1st ILB went at 31, but that was a weak ILB class. I thing Ragland is more highly regarded than anyone in the 2015 class.

Bretsky
01-07-2016, 09:32 PM

Devante Adams for Al Robinson ??

smuggler
01-11-2016, 11:07 PM
So.... OJ Howard, anyone? He has about 300 yards receiving in the national championship game thus far...

mraynrand
01-12-2016, 09:33 AM
So.... OJ Howard, anyone? He has about 300 yards receiving in the national championship game thus far...

It's amazing how productive you can be when no one covers you. It's like the inverse Packerkiller Defense.

Teamcheez1
01-12-2016, 10:17 AM
After watching Jake Ryan, Joe Thomas, and whomever, I'm desperate for an ILB either from the draft or free agency

Maxie the Taxi
01-12-2016, 10:28 AM
It's amazing how productive you can be when no one covers you. It's like the inverse Packerkiller Defense.On the other hand, Jordan Leggett was covered and caught 5 passes in traffic for 78 yds and a TD. He impressed me.

I thought the most overrated player on the field was Jayron Kearse. He didn't tackle, didn't run. Dogged it all night. Maybe in his mind he's already in the NFL.

run pMc
01-12-2016, 08:24 PM
1. Jack Conklin OT Michigan St.
2. Pharoh Cooper WR South Carolina
3. Scooby Wright ILB Arizona
4a. Tyler Higbee TE Western Kentucky
4b. La'Raven Clark T/G Texas Tech
4c. Aaron Green RB TCU
5. Jared Norris ILB Utah
6. Trent Matthews FS Colorado St.
7. Terrance Smith LB Florida St.

I'd be ok with this draft. Scooby in the 3rd? I think he goes higher.
I wouldn't be shocked if TT goes D-line in R1, then addresses OT. I also think he's unlikely to draft a WR unless a real good one falls to him. Drafting a RB before a WR is a possibility...they could really use a speedy 3rd down back. I think Lacy has gained too much weight and it's affected both his conditioning and his quickness...his footspeed looks slower to me.

I really really want more speed at LB -- I don't see them letting Perry and Neal go and with an aging Peppers in his last year, without drafting someone. Carl Bradford is not the answer.

My ramblings aside, TT does this for a living and he's not half bad, so I'll have to trust him to confuse (and probably frustrate) me with his picks. I'll still cheer for them when they suit up.

smuggler
01-12-2016, 08:40 PM
I agree. Scooby should go no later than 64 overall. Similar to Kikaha last year.

Joemailman
01-12-2016, 08:59 PM
I've seen Scooby ranked as high as 36 and as low as 96. Of course, we're way too early for these rankings to really mean anything. Senior Bowl and Combine will obviously impact things. We're 6 weeks away from the Combine.

Maxie the Taxi
01-13-2016, 07:27 AM
I've seen Scooby ranked as high as 36 and as low as 96. Of course, we're way too early for these rankings to really mean anything. Senior Bowl and Combine will obviously impact things. We're 6 weeks away from the Combine.Another huge factor is who we sign and resign and who we don't. Runpmc is correct about having to draft a D-lineman or two.

Carolina_Packer
01-13-2016, 11:19 AM
Do you think the Packers end up playing/starting more players who have three years or less service time than other NFL teams? Sometimes I see these players getting scrutinized here, and I sit back and wonder, how many of these guys would be asked to significantly contribute if they were on other teams that delved more into free agency than the Packers do? Because of the team's belief about draft and development (and UDFA's), and the hesitance of delving into free agency, the team forces it's own hand when it comes to playing lesser experienced guys. Is that worth any slack for these players? If we get frustrated with these younger players, what are the alternatives? Bring in more inexperience and try again? Yup, because we know it's not likely to be patched with traditional free agency.

run pMc
01-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Good question, CP. I'd say that given the average age of the team, it's likely they do. It sure seems like they play a lot of young players, more than some other teams would feel comfortable doing.
I think that's a decision made by both the GM and the coach.
I expect it impacts the way they draft -- I think they want guys who can step in and play quickly, with the exception of late round projects they can stash on the PS.

woodbuck27
01-13-2016, 07:16 PM
In havn't read through this thread and maybe this question is premature:

Is their some general consensus among Packerrats in terms of (if TT was to target a specific position) seems irrelevant as I'm being informed here that TT always picks BPA.....but all the same:

What position do we have most need of strengthening at the NO. 1 pick?

The OL ie a Tackle or with Sam Shields on the shelf with injuries...a CB.

How about a stud TE? Is there such a thing you might classify as a stud and worthy of a first?

I realize this sort of analysis is iffy at best given we're not sure where the Packers will pick and we need to be thinking Super Bowl as Packer fans.

KHARMA BABY....Give me positive and KHARMA !!

Footnote:

Tony 'O'......will say we have the 32nd pick....of course

A heads up for any of you unaware of this fact that's certainly more TRUTH not:

Arizona Cardinals HC Bruce Arians. This fuecker is fuecking tough.

I describe him (Bruce Arians) as Tom Coughlin PLUS...PLUS.

This MAN Arians....is our biggest challenge Vs the Cardinals.

Mike McCarthy Vs Bruce Arians .....a tough ass. cool MAN. sexy. bad ass blue collared...cleans up good...hell raising ... won't die easy... Hell cat out of the wood's... mean spirited psycho strangler...... you'll ever encounter as an opponent in Pro Sports.

Bruce Arians has charisma....and won't go down easy. He'll curse you to a loss.

Bruce Arians is a Coach's Coach:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Arians

Deputy Nutz
01-14-2016, 02:03 PM
Right now I would say that the deepest position in the first round would be defensive linemen. If Thompson is forced to either reach on a need position or draft the most talented player I could see him going defensive line, or at least I would if I was the GM. In fact this draft will be heavy on defensive talent in the first round. Unfortunately for Packer fans there is only one solid first round middle linebacker in the draft, but that doesn't mean they cant address the position in later rounds, but to find a player ready to start is probably not gonna happen.

Tyler Matakevich, ILB Temple: is an instinctive player and will take on blocks, seems to be a decent blitzer, but as all white kids go he is not super athletic according to CBSSPORTS.COM. They have a third round grade of him. Seems like a decent pick that would not disappoint but would probably never wow anyone.

The already mentioned Scooby Wright, ILB Arizona: plays in the Wildcats 3-3-5 defense which is similar to some of the schemes run by Dom Capers. He apparently likes to work out and has all the tools physically except a narrow bottom half cbssports.com. Injury is a concern, not so much the foot but I am personally concerned with any young athlete that damages the meniscus. In my opinion that is one of the worst knee injuries you can have. I think he is a boom or bust pick that some team will go after in the second round if he is able to test either at the combine or at a pro day, as long as he tests reasonably well. He has the name and like I said ILB is weak position in this draft.

Jared Norris, ILB Utah: another non athletic white guy that lacks that speed to cover. Might have some skills in a 3-4 defense, he is a bigger bloke at 240 pounds. To be honest I don't know what you are going to get out of him, might not be worth drafting until the 5th or 6th round.

Blake Martinez, ILB Stanford: smart and instinctive he could probably make something of himself at the next level. decent in coverage 3-4 round.

run pMc
01-14-2016, 07:25 PM
there is only one solid first round middle linebacker in the draft

Who? Ragland? Jaylon Smith?
http://walterfootball.com/draft2016ILB.php

Joemailman
01-14-2016, 07:32 PM
Who? Ragland? Jaylon Smith?
http://walterfootball.com/draft2016ILB.php

Ragland. Not sure how early teams will be willing to take Smith because of the knee injury.

In my opinion, Smith is exactly what the Packers defense needs.

Joemailman
01-15-2016, 06:47 PM
Add Mel Kiper to the list of people who have the packers going DL with their 1st round pick - Austin Johnson - DT - Penn State http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2006428/austin-johnson

smuggler
01-15-2016, 07:24 PM
Smith is the 1B to Myles Jack's 1A. Ragland is less rangey, with more thump.

red
01-15-2016, 07:29 PM
Add Mel Kiper to the list of people who have the packers going DL with their 1st round pick - Austin Johnson - DT - Penn State http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2006428/austin-johnson

i would screen so loud at the TV if we go d-line in the first

first off, its not even close to our biggest need

second, TT absolutely sucks at drafting d lineman early in the draft. stick with drafting them in the mid rounds and later

but for some reason 90% of the mocks have us taking one in the first

Patler
01-15-2016, 09:13 PM
i would screen so loud at the TV if we go d-line in the first

first off, its not even close to our biggest need

second, TT absolutely sucks at drafting d lineman early in the draft. stick with drafting them in the mid rounds and later

but for some reason 90% of the mocks have us taking one in the first

If Raji and Guion leave as FAs, it becomes a need.

HarveyWallbangers
01-15-2016, 09:30 PM
My guy, Carson Wentz, getting buzz heading into draft season.

Maxie the Taxi
01-16-2016, 08:36 AM
If Raji and Guion leave as FAs, it becomes a need.Bingo. Luckily, this year there seems to be a bunch of good looking Dlinemen in 1st round and beyond. Depending how things fall, I might choose two of them.

smuggler
01-17-2016, 03:42 AM
Both the Seahawks and Steelers play tomorrow. If they both lose (likely), they will both pick before us in the first round of the 2016 draft, because all three are 10-6 and we had the strongest strength-of-schedule in the league (tied with the Bears).

In this scenario, our picks will be:

First round: 27th
Second round: 26th
Third round: 25th
Fourth round: 27th
Fifth round: 26th
Sixth round: 25th
Seventh round: 27th

Had we lost last week, we'd be picking 22nd in each round.

pbmax
01-17-2016, 09:57 AM
Bingo. Luckily, this year there seems to be a bunch of good looking Dlinemen in 1st round and beyond. Depending how things fall, I might choose two of them.

I doubt both go, but then I said that last year about House and Tramontana.

red
01-17-2016, 10:18 AM
i think TT has been looking for raji to give him any little reason to sign him over the last couple of years

so i think he'll be brought back after the solid year he had, even if he was a fucking idiot last night

texaspackerbacker
01-17-2016, 10:59 AM
Let God damned Raji GO!

As for the draft, at this early stage, it's more important to think about what positions to prioritize. I doubt we take a ILB very early. Capers' schemes don't require a superstar there, just a rotation of moderate quality. The same is true for the D Line. Corner and OLB are the key positions with him as D Coordinator. The drop off when Shields went out was pretty bad. Randall does all right as a #2 Corner but he got beat badly as the top dog. Even with expected improvement in him and Rollins, I hope we can draft another excellent Corner in the first round. The possible departure of Hayward also makes that likely. OLB is less of an immediate need, especially with Neal and Perry upgrading their game playing for a contract, but either of them could leave and Peppers isn't gonna stay great forever. I like Elliot, but similar to the Janis situation, they just don't seem to make good use of him.

So Corner, OLB, O Line about 3rd or 4th round, TE mid to late, and maybe about the 6th or 7th round we find a strong punter who can hold for Crosby. It's kinda pathetic to keep a sub-standard punter just because he is a good holder.

pbmax
01-17-2016, 11:07 AM
You need ILBs who can shed a block and tackle to make Caper's defense go. It might not be the most glamorous assignment, but the fact that it took moving Matthews to rescue it from Hawk and Jones means that you have to have some kinda talent there.

Think of it this way, a good ILB will make it possible to move Matthews around even more. I don't think they have to find a guy, but if they get one, it will help the defense more than just filling the position would seem to.

Joemailman
01-17-2016, 11:08 AM
i think TT has been looking for raji to give him any little reason to sign him over the last couple of years

so i think he'll be brought back after the solid year he had, even if he was a fucking idiot last night

I thought Raji was a stud last night. There's a reason Arizona averaged 2 YPC.

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 11:10 AM

The whole defense was great. Damn shame to lose the way they did

red
01-17-2016, 11:36 AM

his stupid penalty was one of many turning points in the game

call_me_ishmael
01-17-2016, 04:46 PM
I am hoping OJ Howard comes out. That will likely assure us a shot at a premier tight end prospect. In the one game I saw Bachman play, he looked even slower than Richard Rodgers, so I don't want any part of that. I would like to see them take two if possible.

I would also like to see the Packers try to find a big safety that they can play as a coverage line backer like Thomas Davis or Deon Bucannon from Arizona.

Joemailman
01-17-2016, 05:25 PM
I am hoping OJ Howard comes out. That will likely assure us a shot at a premier tight end prospect. In the one game I saw Bachman play, he looked even slower than Richard Rodgers, so I don't want any part of that. I would like to see them take two if possible.

I would also like to see the Packers try to find a big safety that they can play as a coverage line backer like Thomas Davis or Deon Bucannon from Arizona.

Backman is faster than Rodgers. Whether he can learn the offense well enough to be productive is an open question at this point. He never saw the field on offense in the regular season.

red
01-17-2016, 06:33 PM
the TE doesn't just have to be a speed freak, gronk isn't winning any foot races, but he's the best TE in the game cause of his size and he's determination not to even get taken down

gronks 40 was 4.68 btw

and was a mid second round pick

any physical freak TE's in the draft?

Maxie the Taxi
01-17-2016, 07:26 PM
the TE doesn't just have to be a speed freak, gronk isn't winning any foot races, but he's the best TE in the game cause of his size and he's determination not to even get taken down

gronks 40 was 4.68 btw

and was a mid second round pick

any physical freak TE's in the draft?
Physical freak? Maybe. I just noticed that Tanner McEvoy is listed as a TE on the CBS 2016 NFL Draft site: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/TE

I recall McEvoy's runs as a QB at Wisconsin. He was pretty fast, powerful and deceptive. I'd love to see him as a Packer TE. Wouldn't be a high draft choice either.

Joemailman
01-17-2016, 07:50 PM
I think Jerell Adams might be interesting as a mid-round pick. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2000078/jerell-adams

Deputy Nutz
01-18-2016, 12:39 AM
Physical freak? Maybe. I just noticed that Tanner McEvoy is listed as a TE on the CBS 2016 NFL Draft site: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/TE

I recall McEvoy's runs as a QB at Wisconsin. He was pretty fast, powerful and deceptive. I'd love to see him as a Packer TE. Wouldn't be a high draft choice either.

It would surprise me if he chose to play as a tight end. He was a starting safety all this year and played jostling wildcat as QB. He is an extremely athletic rangy kid. Some smart team should take him on day three of the draft and find some position for him. He is center field type safety that will struggle with tackling early on but can cover field and win jump balls.

He is not a tight end though. He could be three years from now.

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2016, 07:46 AM
It would surprise me if he chose to play as a tight end. He was a starting safety all this year and played jostling wildcat as QB. He is an extremely athletic rangy kid. Some smart team should take him on day three of the draft and find some position for him. He is center field type safety that will struggle with tackling early on but can cover field and win jump balls.

He is not a tight end though. He could be three years from now.CBS had him listed as a FS until a few days ago. I don't know how CBS makes such decisions. They might get player/agent feedback. It might just be an error.

I've watched film of McEvoy at FS and QB. He does cover the field. He also seems to be a hard hitter and fearless. Of course, at QB he showed he is a good runner who can juke defenders at full speed.

Even before CBS re-categorized him, the thought occurred to me that he could help the Packers at TE. Then a wilder idea: could he help the Packers at ILB? McEvoy is 6'6" 231 lbs., a few pounds lighter than Nate Palmer but bigger than Joe Thomas. The trend in the NFL seems to be to have one ILB be a lighter, faster, hard-hitting over-sized safety (6'1" 208 lb. Deone Bucannon with the Cards, 6'3" 223 lb. Telvin Smith with the Jags).

The theory is this type of hybrid ILB can better cover the new breed of fast TE's and pass receiving RB's. I think having a guy who's 6'6", who can make plays sideline to sideline, who is a fearless tackler and who can easily run with a TE or drop back into coverage would present a real problem for opposing offenses.

The best part is you draft him on the 3rd day, not having to use a high draft choice on a traditional ILB. So you team McEvoy with Barrington (or Ryan) at ILB. Clay goes back to OLB.

mraynrand
01-18-2016, 08:20 AM
If McEvoy is any good, you'll know it when the Patriots draft him.

Deputy Nutz
01-18-2016, 08:22 AM
McAvoy, where ever he is going to play he is going to be a work in progress. He isn't going to contribute a whole lot in 2016. I don't think I would classify him as a fearless hitter, you might have confused him with Caputo. I would say that McAvoy doesn't like contact I think he just lacks the technique. I just don't think he would make an immediate impact.

mraynrand
01-18-2016, 08:28 AM
McAvoy, where ever he is going to play he is going to be a work in progress. He isn't going to contribute a whole lot in 2016. I don't think I would classify him as a fearless hitter, you might have confused him with Caputo. I would say that McAvoy doesn't like contact I think he just lacks the technique. I just don't think he would make an immediate impact.

Whatever they do, don't make him a TE. Rodgers will never throw to him, because he would be afraid of reducing his QBR.

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2016, 08:43 AM
^LOL

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2016, 08:49 AM
Granted, highlight film is selective, but the video below is how I formed my judgements about McEvoy. There is another video on YouTube I watched where McEvoy's tackling is more prominent. (I'll have to look for it.) But he sure looks like an aggressive and fairly sure tackler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4ojKBcmAWQ

George Cumby
01-18-2016, 09:00 AM
Just watch the highlights.

Patriots draft him and Belicheck utilizes him creatively for ten years. Bretsky hangs himself in his shower.

ThunderDan
01-18-2016, 09:04 AM
Granted, highlight film is selective, but the video below is how I formed my judgements about McEvoy. There is another video on YouTube I watched where McEvoy's tackling is more prominent. (I'll have to look for it.) But he sure looks like an aggressive and fairly sure tackler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4ojKBcmAWQ

That highlight reel had 3 maybe 4 tackles by McEvoy. It showed more TDs and INTs then tackles.

Joemailman
01-18-2016, 09:11 AM
I would worry about someone who is 6-6 having the flexibility to be a good open field tackler. His future, if he has one, would seem to me to be as a WR/TE hybrid. A project for sure, but some pretty good TE's have been in this category.

Striker
01-18-2016, 09:13 AM

What about Hunter Henry from Arkansas? 6'6'', seems to have good speed and hand/ball skills.

red
01-18-2016, 09:17 AM
well, its official we have pick #27

Joemailman
01-18-2016, 09:18 AM
What about Hunter Henry from Arkansas? 6'6'', seems to have good speed and hand/ball skills.

Henry is probably the only TE with a shot at being a 1st round pick.

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2016, 09:18 AM
OK. If not McEvoy, maybe one of these two guys: Miles Killebrew 6'2" 223 lbs; Jeremy Cash 6'1" 208 lbs. I really would like to see TT draft a hard-hitting, speedy safety instead of another Jake Ryan at ILB. I won't be surprised if he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGl0nYVDT2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT3-dHxAdKk

pbmax
01-18-2016, 09:19 AM
McEvoy is not really comfortable with tackling and hits from the Defensive side. You know how offensive players, when they know its coming, can prepare to absorb or deflect the blow to lessen the damage?

McEvoy doesn't have the D equivalent to that yet, where he can deliver maximum force but minimize the impact to himself. So many of his tackles look really awkward regardless of his size. My fear is that at safety, a Pro could take advantage of that and fake him out of his shoes regularly.

By training, he would be a better fit as an H back.

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2016, 09:21 AM
Henry is probably the only TE with a shot at being a 1st round pick.Not by TT. I'd drop over dead with a heart attack if TT passed on a DLman or OLman or OLB in favor of a TE. He just doesn't value them.

Joemailman
01-18-2016, 09:24 AM
well, its official we have pick #27

Last time the Packers had the 27th pick Ron Wolf took John Michels. Should TT trade up or down?

Joemailman
01-18-2016, 09:25 AM
Not by TT. I'd drop over dead with a heart attack if TT passed on a DLman or OLman or OLB in favor of a TE. He just doesn't value them.

I agree. He took Finley and DickRod in the 3rd round. That's probably as high as he'd go.

ThunderDan
01-18-2016, 09:26 AM
OK. If not McEvoy, maybe one of these two guys: Miles Killebrew 6'2" 223 lbs; Jeremy Cash 6'1" 208 lbs. I really would like to see TT draft a hard-hitting, speedy safety instead of another Jake Ryan at ILB. I won't be surprised if he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGl0nYVDT2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT3-dHxAdKk

well..... they are highlight tapes of their best plays.

I like Cash better because he is playing in the ACC. I sure would hope Killebrew would dominate in the Big Sky or whatever conference they are in. I saw some mid-field logos I have never seen before in that video.

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2016, 09:31 AM
well..... they are highlight tapes of their best plays.

I like Cash better because he is playing in the ACC. I sure would hope Killebrew would dominate in the Big Sky or whatever conference they are in. I saw some mid-field logos I have never seen before in that video. I agree. Cash is the best, but he's a 1st round pick probably. I've read where some scouts compare Killebrew to the Cards' Bucannon. They say he's a better prospect now at this point in his career than Bucannon. But here we go again with scouts who talk out of their ass sometimes.

Joemailman
01-18-2016, 09:35 AM
I agree. Cash is the best, but he's a 1st round pick probably. I've read where some scouts compare Killebrew to the Cards' Bucannon. They say he's a better prospect now at this point in his career than Bucannon. But here we go again with scouts who talk out of their ass sometimes.

Killebrew has accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl. I wonder if he'll play both Safety and LB.

Sorta liking Killebrew. Hits as hard as the great Minnesota Twins slugger Harmon Killebrew. He'll have to tone it down a little though. Saw a couple hits on the sideline that would get him flagged in the NFL. CBS has him rated #171 overall and a 5th round prospect.

Deputy Nutz
01-18-2016, 12:29 PM
Why do the Packers need a safety?

Joemailman
01-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Why do the Packers need a safety?

You okay with Banjo as your backup? They could use some depth there.

Deputy Nutz
01-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Fine but you are not talking about drafting a guy in the first two rounds to be a back up. Don't forget you have Hyde

ThunderDan
01-18-2016, 12:42 PM
Fine but you are not talking about drafting a guy in the first two rounds to be a back up. Don't forget you have Hyde

Maxie is talking about drafting a S and moving to ILB.

Joemailman
01-18-2016, 12:42 PM

No. I was talking about Killebrew. He's projected as a 5th round pick.

Joemailman
01-18-2016, 12:45 PM
Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline 1h1 hour ago
More than an hour before the first Shrine practice and Ted Thompson of the Green Bay Packers is already at the practice field.

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2016, 12:47 PM
No. I was talking about Killebrew. He's projected as a 5th round pick.A 5th round pick as of now. I have a feeling, after the combine, Killebrew will work his way pretty high up the board. Right now, pre-combine, the whole board is subject to drastic change.

Joemailman
01-18-2016, 12:49 PM
A 5th round pick as of now. I have a feeling, after the combine, Killebrew will work his way pretty high up the board. Right now, pre-combine, the whole board is subject to drastic change.

No doubt. And the Senior Bowl will be huge for him as he gets to compete against guys from the big schools.

Deputy Nutz
01-18-2016, 12:54 PM
Maxie is talking about drafting a S and moving to ILB.
Then you better switch to 4-3 and have two by bodies in front of him

Pugger
01-18-2016, 12:55 PM
That highlight reel had 3 maybe 4 tackles by McEvoy. It showed more TDs and INTs then tackles.

Was it just this season when he played safety? It was kinda fun watching a kid play both sides of the ball old school-wise.

Deputy Nutz
01-18-2016, 12:56 PM
In reality it doesn't really matter, great football players make great plays!

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Then you better switch to 4-3 and have two by bodies in front of himArizona plays a 3-4 with Deone Bucannon at ILB. He's 6'1" 208 lbs.

Pugger
01-18-2016, 12:58 PM
No doubt. And the Senior Bowl will be huge for him as he gets to compete against guys from the big schools.

When is the Senior Bowl?

Joemailman
01-18-2016, 01:06 PM
When is the Senior Bowl?

Senior Bowl is Saturday January 30. East-West Shrine Game is January 23.

Bossman641
01-18-2016, 03:15 PM
In reality it doesn't really matter, great football players make great plays!

John Madden, that you?

mraynrand
01-18-2016, 03:21 PM
John Madden, that you?

lol

run pMc
01-18-2016, 05:48 PM
Arizona plays a 3-4 with Deone Bucannon at ILB. He's 6'1" 208 lbs.

Didn't Capers run this with Sean Richardson? Big Okie or Big Nickel or something like that? It was a 5 DB set with 3 safeties.

pbmax
01-18-2016, 05:49 PM
They run some flavor of Oakie or Big Nickel with 3 safeties yes.

Joemailman
01-18-2016, 07:42 PM
Daniel Jeremiah has Killebrew rated #33 overall, versus CBS which has him rated #171. Who's right? Definitely a guy to watch at the Senior Bowl and Combine.

smuggler
01-18-2016, 08:42 PM
CBS is a consensus from about 8-12 different scouts. Jeremiah is just one scout. He's in love with Killebrew, but he could, obviously, be right about him. There are always swings like that from scout to scout.

Joemailman
01-18-2016, 09:39 PM
CBS is a consensus from about 8-12 different scouts. Jeremiah is just one scout. He's in love with Killebrew, but he could, obviously, be right about him. There are always swings like that from scout to scout.

33 sounds awfully high for a SS/ILB from The Big Sky Conference. His tape was pretty impressive though.

Joemailman
01-25-2016, 02:48 PM
CBS has moved Killebrew up to 109. That's more like it. He could easily move up more though.