PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers-M3-Conflict-Good.

denverYooper
01-08-2016, 08:03 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2016/01/08/rodgers-mccarthy-conflict-good/78410162/?hootPostID=2300575dbe97bfc12ca0f8b06ea8b2fd

Some nuggets.

M3 and Rodgers care what the fans think about their relationship:

Both McCarthy and Rodgers agreed to talk about their relationship because they know it has become a major topic among the team’s fan base.

Rodgers admits he needs to take some more risks this year:

“Maybe I have to adjust my mindset and kind of let it fly a little more because we’ve had some success doing that,” he said, “throwing the ball down the field, adjusting some routes, making some scramble adjustments and playing a little looser because the urgency is up in those moments. Hopefully, we can start the game in that mindset collectively and put together a better performance.”

That’s a potentially significant change, because Rodgers abhors throwing interceptions and historically has gone multiple games without even coming close to one. Changing his approach would entail more risky throws.

“Whatever it takes to win,” Rodgers said. “At this point we haven’t been very consistent in any capacity on offense, so if it means being a little riskier with the ball with a bigger reward on the back end, that’s something you’ve got to think about.”

Also, M3 and Rodgers are still on speaking terms. They discuss the play sheet every week and agree on it.

Dougherty also points out the history of spats between Rodgers and M3 dating back to at least 2012:

he few most noteworthy incidents or disputes caught on camera go back to 2012, when Rodgers barked at McCarthy after an illegal replay challenge at Minnesota; their yelling match with defensive linemen B.J. Raji intervening on the sidelines at Cincinnati in ’13; Rodgers’ news-conference questioning of McCarthy’s conservative play calling in the final minutes of the Packers’ loss in the NFC championship game at Seattle last season; and a brief, spirited exchange this season after a series ended in San Francisco.

The biggest eyebrow raiser for me was Rodgers saying he felt like he needs to open it up a bit in the playoffs because their normal offense is not yielding much positive.

pbmax
01-08-2016, 08:19 AM
Offensive lineman and blocking TE want to run the ball more.

Quarterback and WRs want to pass the ball more.

You know how M3 says sometimes they don't get to the entire game plan because they don't have enough possessions? That is what this is about.

The source of the problem is that the regular, game planned offense is stuck in neutral after the first drive. All the other ancillary talk derives from that failure.

Except for Starks and the end of game passing (which might be because its a 2 minute drill or might be because the defense changes its plan to bleed clock), there is not much evidence to support either side's contention.

Pugger
01-08-2016, 10:10 AM
All QBs and WRs want to pass more and linemen like to run block.

I don't think there is this big rift between AR and Mac. They are both competitors and if they aren't happy with the way we are playing this has to be a good thing.

woodbuck27
01-08-2016, 10:36 AM
"That’s a potentially significant change, because Rodgers abhors throwing interceptions and historically has gone multiple games without even coming close to one. Changing his approach would entail more risky throws."

When Aaron had better options or receiver targets running routes to get some separation from receivers it was easier for him to hit those targets. That's no longer the case, as the receiving quality is lower this season.

A) We musn't diminish the impact of losing one half of an effective WR combination...Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb.

B) WR James Jones does his best to run deep sideline routes. If the ball is thrown well to him he's certainly capable of making the catch. We've always felt that James jones is at best a #3-#4 WR.

C) WR Davante Adams hasn't had the season we hoped he would and even demonstrate progress. This stuff and seemingly to actual diminished performance happens to Pro's in all sports. He's fighting the ball even when ARod is on target and the ball should be caught. We're seeing multiple drops from a WR that needs to be more effective given his status on the WR core. This is simply a downturn in performance that will straighten itself out with hard work.

A and B and C) Yet again the loss of Jordy Nelson, that negative has the 'trickle' down effect and the receiving core has a fallen off performance status compared to last season when the Packers receivers were arguably the finest group in the NFL. The 2014 offense was better you might recall than good. I saw that group on our team as outstanding..

call_me_ishmael
01-08-2016, 03:26 PM
People that are consistently around the locker room (reporters on the radio) keep alluding to the situation being WAY worse than the public knows. I am anxious to hear what comes out after the season is over.

pbmax
01-08-2016, 05:16 PM
People that are consistently around the locker room (reporters on the radio) keep alluding to the situation being WAY worse than the public knows. I am anxious to hear what comes out after the season is over.

We've heard from Chmura, Bill Scott and Bill Michaels, none of which are on the scene. Who have you heard talk about it?

call_me_ishmael
01-08-2016, 08:43 PM
We've heard from Chmura, Bill Scott and Bill Michaels, none of which are on the scene. Who have you heard talk about it?

Gary Ellerson on WSSP was saying he knows a lot that he can't talk about. Mike Clements is another WSSP guy but he is actually in GB for practice every day and he said on the air today that there is way more to the story than is being publicized or something to that effect. Those are the two I was referring to. Michael Cohen has mentioned it seems there is friction is well in his segment on WSSP, but hasn't alluded to more going on behind the scenes.

Josh Sitton did slip up and say he'd talk more about the drama after the season, but then caught himself and said he was "just kidding".

RonWolfGOAT
01-08-2016, 09:46 PM
What have Bill Scott and Bill Michael said?

denverYooper
01-08-2016, 10:34 PM
I know a lot that I can't talk about. NDAs prohibit me from telling you what is really going on.

Tony Oday
01-09-2016, 02:07 AM
Holy shot someone is pissed at a boss?! STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

Fritz
01-09-2016, 07:59 AM
I do think, if there's merit that there's a lot more going on than what we know, that this is a big story. You can only work with someone for so long with whom you have a tense relationship. It's not something that is destined to last long. That's why, in baseball, Billy Martin never lasted long as a manager. He was very difficult to work for, but he prodded players into producing. So he'd have short-term success, but ultimately the whole thing would blow up. That, and he'd be drunk all the time.

I'm not saying it's quite like that in GB with MM and Rodgers, but I am saying those sorts of tense, difficult relationships become less and less workable and productive as time goes on.

Hmm. I wonder, if one of them had to go, who it would be...

Maxie the Taxi
01-09-2016, 08:28 AM
I have it on good authority that the trouble started when Rodgers found this CD in Olivia's nightstand:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8qryI-PBb9wfpbJLjfkb5F9eU3aTZFkjWqj32u3DOuXPftEE4nQ

hoosier
01-09-2016, 08:35 AM
I do think, if there's merit that there's a lot more going on than what we know, that this is a big story. You can only work with someone for so long with whom you have a tense relationship. It's not something that is destined to last long. That's why, in baseball, Billy Martin never lasted long as a manager. He was very difficult to work for, but he prodded players into producing. So he'd have short-term success, but ultimately the whole thing would blow up. That, and he'd be drunk all the time.

I'm not saying it's quite like that in GB with MM and Rodgers, but I am saying those sorts of tense, difficult relationships become less and less workable and productive as time goes on.

Hmm. I wonder, if one of them had to go, who it would be...

Without knowing the first thing about what is really going on, I can see a different spin on this: It is virtually impossible to work closely with someone else for ten years without developing some friction. Both have strong personalities and it seems inevitable that they are going to butt heads from time to time. Butting heads can even be a productive part of a relationship. The decisive factor, I think, will be what Rodgers's performance looks like next year. If the struggles continue then either he has gone into decline faster than most of us would have predicted, or the thing is rotting from the inside out.

Pugger
01-09-2016, 09:40 AM
McCarthy has said publicly that Aaron is as frustrated as he's ever seen him because Rodgers expects to play well and when he doesn't he gets pissed at himself. I suspect this is what is fueling all this speculation.

pbmax
01-09-2016, 09:48 AM
What have Bill Scott and Bill Michael said?

I would have to go back to previous threads. Scott said something in an appearance on someone else's radio show.

Michael was talking about the supposed players only meeting, the one that didn't happen. He basically said it had been reschedule for the following week. Nothing heard about it since.

But I don't remember the specifics.

I have zero use for reporters who cannot report something. Useless. If its not good enough to print, stop pretending its a big, dark secret key to the mystery.

red
01-09-2016, 11:04 AM
this is nothing new, you could clearly see something was wrong last year. you could see it with all the eye rolls and head shaking, and a-rod yelling at the sideline to get the calls in.

there were even some stories written about it last year and some discussion that there was a rift between the two

so this is nothing new, and based on the clear evidence we see every week on the field, it is a very real issue imo

whos to blame though for the rift is a whole other issue

red
01-09-2016, 11:07 AM
do we ever see m3 and a-rod talking to each other on the sideline?

they might and we just don't notice it, but the guy calling the plays and the guy running the plays should be discussing things on the sideline and going over things when the offence isn't on the field

Fritz
01-09-2016, 02:11 PM

they might and we just don't notice it, but the guy calling the plays and the guy running the plays should be discussing things on the sideline and going over things when the offence isn't on the field

Maybe it's sexual tension.

pbmax
01-09-2016, 02:28 PM

They never have really. Belichick sometimes goes back to talk to his defense or a position group but M3 stays on the sideline and let's the position coach handle it.

gbgary
01-09-2016, 03:38 PM
i don't see how any conflict can be good. tt would never get rid of Rodgers so it'll be MM to go...after next season...if the slide keeps continues.

mraynrand
01-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Maybe it's sexual tension.

maybe sexual chocolate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otEm_aI2Vac