PDA

View Full Version : Where do we go from here?

esoxx
01-16-2016, 10:46 PM
Let's hear it rats...what needs to happen to get back to the Super Bowl?

This isn't a PC thread with weak thoughts needed or wanted. Get down and dirty on what YOU think is the prescription for greener pastures in 2016-17.

red
01-16-2016, 10:49 PM
get rid of the staff and start from scratch

i never want to see any of those fuckers again

Joemailman
01-16-2016, 10:50 PM
Get your wide receivers healthy.
Get a Tight End who can stretch the field.
Tell Lacy to eat more veggies.
Get a wide receiver coach.

Freak Out
01-16-2016, 10:50 PM
I hope Fitz gets hit by a truck. Then M3.

Freak Out
01-16-2016, 10:51 PM
Teach the OL to block.

esoxx
01-16-2016, 10:51 PM
First thing in obvious need is speed from the offensive skill positions. My god, how can the team speed lack so freaking much at WR, TE, RB... unacceptable.

denverYooper
01-16-2016, 10:56 PM
First thing in obvious need is speed from the offensive skill positions. My god, how can the team speed lack so freaking much at WR, TE, RB... unacceptable.

I don't know. They could use an ILB but that defense played damn well against a very good offense. The TD to make it 17-13 bounced off of a defender's hand. That could have been a pick or at best an incomplete pass.

Harlan Huckleby
01-16-2016, 11:06 PM
Don't know about we, but I go to bed. All this excitement has given me the vapors.

woodbuck27
01-16-2016, 11:07 PM
Im going to play Poker...drink a beer esoxx.

What a cock tease that game turned out being.

When you have the other team down...reeling in some shock even...you finish them.

So yes here we are again in some degree of mixed emotions and the what to do`s.

One man beat us essox and he needed to be covered..it was getting to too obvious that Carson Palmer was going to target Larry FitzGerald over and over again as long as he was open.

He should NOT have gotten so open if we had the necessary talent to cover him in our defensive backfield..

Therein lies the rub.

Our secondary isn`t strong enough yet to deal with the reality of the NFL and pass happy Ò`s`.

WE need DB`s. Strong athletic DB`s.

We need speed at the RB position.

We need an upgrade at TE.

woodbuck27
01-16-2016, 11:08 PM

All checks there Joe.

pbmax
01-16-2016, 11:09 PM
I don't know. They could use an ILB but that defense played damn well against a very good offense. The TD to make it 17-13 bounced off of a defender's hand. That could have been a pick or at best an incomplete pass.

That was every bit as lucky as the Hail Mary. Only difference is expected points as the Cards still might have chance for 3 points.

call_me_ishmael
01-16-2016, 11:12 PM
Well - they need some offensive help. The line looked okay and could use another backup tackle. We need another receiver badly. The challenging thing is where do they fit? There are 5 spots already accounted for next year.

The defense played fantastic tonight.

I think they need to add an athletic, fast TE. They need another MLB. They need a couple DL as they are likely to lose a couple this off-season.

Rutnstrut
There are so many weak spots that the old approach that TT likes to take isn't going to work. I am also concerned about Rodgers obvious decline of talent. To hell with it I agree with Red. Get rid of everyone and start over.

mraynrand
Stop getting everyone on the team injured every year. go for two when your offense is a mess and you have a chance to win. Have Photographic Memory run the ball when it's open.

call_me_ishmael
01-16-2016, 11:13 PM
We need to get back to this and add some speed. http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Eddie+Lacy+Alabama+v+Mississippi+State+XdT7oRSUcNm l.jpg

Iron Mike
01-16-2016, 11:16 PM
Teach the OL to block.

FIRE FUCKING CAMPEN!!!!!!!!

Cheesehead Craig
01-16-2016, 11:16 PM
Give Shields some stickum

esoxx
01-16-2016, 11:18 PM

I'm less concerned about the defense than I am about the offense as noted. James Jones won't even make an Arena League team next year.

esoxx
01-16-2016, 11:23 PM
Stop getting everyone on the team injured every year. go for two when your offense is a mess and you have a chance to win. Have Photographic Memory run the ball when it's open.

The injury excuse is always nice. You do realize injuries are a way of life in this league, right? Ever hear of the New England Patriots? They have a Franchise QB just like we do. They've had injuries up and down the line up and yet are going to their 10th league Championship game in the last 14 years.

Or, do we really have a Franchise QB that can overcome the injury factor? He did in 2010. That was a while ago.

mraynrand
01-16-2016, 11:24 PM
The injury excuse is always nice. You do realize injuries are a way of life in this league, right? Ever hear of the New England Patriots? They have a Franchise QB just like we do. They've had injuries up and down the line up and yet are going to their 10th league Championship game in the last 14 years.

well, if we had Nelson and Cobb back for this game, that would have been nice. They had Amadala and 87 back in time for a playoff game against a weak piece of shit KC team at home. Goody for those fucking cheaters.

mraynrand
01-16-2016, 11:26 PM
To anger management classes

esoxx
01-16-2016, 11:28 PM
well, if we had Nelson and Cobb back for this game, that would have been nice. They had Amadala and 87 back in time for a playoff game against a weak piece of shit KC team at home. Goody for those fucking cheaters.

Yeah, and if Grandma had balls she would be Grandpa. None of that stuff matters, you overcome. In 2010 the Packers had far more injuries and found a way. That's what this league is about, AYHAFQB.

mraynrand
01-16-2016, 11:31 PM
Yeah, and if Grandma had balls she would be Grandpa. None of that stuff matters, you overcome. In 2010 the Packers had far more injuries and found a way. That's what this league is about, AYHAFQB.

That's right. And if you do't have FGronk and Queen Amadala, you go for two and have your sqirrley QB who is afraid of getting hit run it in.

Badgerinmaine
01-16-2016, 11:32 PM
If healthy, most pieces are there. Need more o-line depth, and help at TE and LB. Take a RB high to challenge Lacy.

pbmax
01-16-2016, 11:33 PM
Teach the OL to block.

Compared to three weeks ago, they held up OK. Until they had to pass and the run was off limits.

pbmax
01-16-2016, 11:37 PM

That's right. And if you do't have FGronk and Queen Amadala, you go for two and have your sqirrley QB who is afraid of getting hit run it in.

I don't think its the QB. I think its the design of the offense. This has been developing for a while. Nelson helps mask it, but good Defenses are now normally able to slow them WAY down.

I am not on red's bandwagon, but something does need to change on O.

HarveyWallbangers
01-16-2016, 11:39 PM

Spot on.

Patler
01-16-2016, 11:40 PM
They need Rodgers to hit a deep pass now and then that is something other than a jump ball/hail mary type of play.

Even tonight, his accuracy was poor on too many downfield throws.

HarveyWallbangers
01-16-2016, 11:42 PM
If healthy, most pieces are there. Need more o-line depth, and help at TE and LB. Take a RB high to challenge Lacy.

Spot on, need a TE. One kind of like Finley. Need health at WR. Lacy needs to come back in shape. I'd also like to see an OT taken high. I have hopes at LB, if Barrington comes back healthy. Maybe Barrington and Ryan could send Matthews back to OLB. Then, you just need to sign Neal or Perry to pair with Elliott at backup OLB. Young secondary looks good. Future at DL looks good.

Joemailman
01-16-2016, 11:44 PM

In 2010, they had a lot of injuries, but they did get pretty healthy at the end of the year. This year the injuries never stopped. They got their OL pretty healthy, and they lose Adams and Cobb. It was just a tough season. Once Cobb went out, Packers were without 4 of their top 5 wide receivers. Cardinals had Larry Fitzgerald, John Brown and Michael Floyd. Packers had Janis, Abby and James Jones. They overcame a lot. Patriots struggled late in the season on offense because of injuries. They looked better today because they got one of their top receivers back instead of losing another one.

mraynrand
01-16-2016, 11:48 PM
I don't think its the QB. I think its the design of the offense. This has been developing for a while. Nelson helps mask it, but good Defenses are now normally able to slow them WAY down.

Sorry PB, but the big picture isn't the issue when you're missing your top 4 WRs. You win the best way you can. When you D has played lights out but is gassed, and your O is stagnant, you take the chance at the 2 pointer.

esoxx
01-16-2016, 11:52 PM
In 2010, they had a lot of injuries, but they did get pretty healthy at the end of the year. This year the injuries never stopped. They got their OL pretty healthy, and they lose Adams and Cobb. It was just a tough season. Once Cobb went out, Packers were without 4 of their top 5 wide receivers. Cardinals had Larry Fitzgerald, John Brown and Michael Floyd. Packers had Janis, Abby and James Jones. They overcame a lot. Patriots struggled late in the season on offense because of injuries. They looked better today because they got one of their top receivers back instead of losing another one.

You do realize AZ had three defensive starters out and their starting RB?

mraynrand
01-16-2016, 11:54 PM

Jpohnson is washed up. My heart bleeds for them.

esoxx
01-17-2016, 12:00 AM
Jpohnson is washed up. My heart bleeds for them.

So their injuries don't matter, only ours. Loser talk.

pbmax
01-17-2016, 12:01 AM
Sorry PB, but the big picture isn't the issue when you're missing your top 4 WRs. You win the best way you can. When you D has played lights out but is gassed, and your O is stagnant, you take the chance at the 2 pointer.

Wasn't addressing directly the 2 point conversion. Meant to address injury question. Good Defenses like Arizona's have bottled up the Nelson version of this offense before.

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 12:03 AM
So their injuries don't matter, only ours. Loser talk.

that's not the point gaddamn it. The point is that we had all those injuries on offense so we choulda gone for two because we gassed the D and never got a sniff of the AZ side of the field. The point is reality - If AZ was missing their top 4 defenders or offensive fucks, they woulda played it different too.

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 12:04 AM
Wasn't addressing directly the 2 point conversion. Meant to address injury question. Good Defenses like Arizona's have bottled up the Nelson version of this offense before.

I know. But that's for an other day. Draf day. Get some speed on offense. Get a tackle.

esoxx
01-17-2016, 12:06 AM
Let's face it. After the bye week this team under performed severely. They gave a great effort tonight but came up short in the end. But the problems with the stagnant offense reared up and smacked down this season after the bye week. Period.

Now the question is, who is at fault for the offensive failings that occurred and where do we go from here? That is what needs to be evaluated most in this long offseason.

pbmax
01-17-2016, 12:07 AM

What is the total preferred starter out number?

Arizona has the Honey Badger, pass rush dude, CB and RB. Anyone else? Did they lose an OL?

Packers had Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Quarless, Barrington and Hyde.

Its not a contest, it made the Arizona D worse versus the pass but against a Packer team ill equipped to take advantage. Its to their credit they did as much damage as they did.

The game is matchups and the Packers were ill equipped to take advantage of the best one for their offense.

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 12:09 AM
Let's face it. After the bye week this team under performed severely. They gave a great effort tonight but came up short in the end. But the problems with the stagnant offense reared up and smacked down this season after the bye week. Period.

Ya, but early in this game, Janis was still running his patterns wrong. Is he retarded or is it the coach's fault. Hell if I know, but that's why he was the untrusted #6 WR until they had no fucking choice.

I'm not sure they underperformed at all.

wist43
01-17-2016, 12:11 AM
Nothing will change... we'll continue to flounder around and lose playoff game after playoff game.

We are no longer the best team in the division - I see Minnesota continuing to ascend, while we will slowly recede.

We will be in most games and will compete for the division b/c of Rodgers, but the coaching is stale, and TT will never make a big move to put us over the top with respect to players.

It is what it is :huh:

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 12:12 AM
Nothing will change... we'll continue to flounder around and lose playoff game after playoff game.

We are no longer the best team in the division - I see Minnesota continuing to ascend, while we will slowly recede.

We will be in most games and will compete for the division b/c of Rodgers, but the coaching is stale, and TT will never make a big move to put us over the top with respect to players.

go have Stubby ram his fat cigar up your stinking bung hole and die.

superfan
01-17-2016, 12:12 AM
After a rough loss like this it's a shame the venerable Cleft Crusty hasn't made an appearance in this thread to share his insights. That would certainly raise my spirits.

pbmax
01-17-2016, 12:13 AM
You heard it here first:

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 9m9 minutes ago
Last time #Packers lost to Cards in playoffs, they won Super Bowl the next year. Call me crazy, but I predict it will happen again in 2016.

esoxx
01-17-2016, 12:17 AM
After a rough loss like this it's a shame the venerable Cleft Crusty hasn't made an appearance in this thread to share his insights. That would certainly raise my spirits.

Cleft Crusty lost what was left of his 401k from the urinal scented with the recent stock market dive and now lives under a bridge. Not even in van down by the river.

Sad really.

Striker
01-17-2016, 12:21 AM

AP is going to be a shell of his former self soon and Teddy B is underwhelming. They'll have a good/great defense but their offense could be questionable yet again.

Also, this is one of the most battered Packers teams I've seen play. And they still easily competed for the division and were a couple of plays from winning it.

Joemailman
01-17-2016, 12:26 AM
Now the question is, who is at fault for the offensive failings that occurred and where do we go from here? That is what needs to be evaluated most in this long offseason.

Yep. And that's what the offseason is for. You have more time to study film of your performances because you're not busy preparing for the next opponent. I'm of the opinion the coaching changes on offense didn't work, but you can't just roll back the clock. MM has some decisions to make with his offensive coaching staff. They have to figure out why Rodgers' completion percentage was under 60% the last 2/3 of the season. Are guys not getting open? Is Rodgers not seeing those who are open? Are mechanics affecting Rodgers' accuracy?

I think they have to find a way to get Janis more involved in the offense. Everyone talks about the lack of speed at WR, but if Jordy comes back healthy, he and Janis are the deep threats you need. Jordy, Janis, Cobb, Adams, Abby and Montgomery really isn't bad. No doubt they need more speed at TE and RB. The OL is pretty good when healthy, but they need better depth at OT.

wist43
01-17-2016, 12:28 AM
go have Stubby ram his fat cigar up your stinking bung hole and die.

Are you hitting on me?? :oops:

For the record, I don't swing that way ;)

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 12:47 AM
Are you hitting on me?? :oops:

For the record, I don't swing that way ;)

you're a surprisingly good sport. And don't worry about me - just watch out for Harlan! :)

Deputy Nutz
01-17-2016, 12:58 AM
Remember this is coming from a motherfucker that really doesn't care if the Packers win or lose, so I am not bent over dry heaving because the Packers lost.

I honestly think that although the Packers lost this game so really good things happened on the field today. For one the receiving corps just got solidified for next year as Abbey and Janis demonstrated that they can step up in big games and contribute. I don't think either one of them will ever be elite but they did some really good things tonight and with that I think they earned Rodger's trust tonight. So as everyone is panicked about the receiving corps, I would feel really good going into next year with getting Nelson back, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis, and Abbrederis rounding out your top 5. If they stay healthy that is damn good receiving corps.

The Defense has really transformed this year to a an above average defense that can hold their own against almost any team in the league. They are solid and I expect Dom to come back and put out another quality defense. They need to resign Raji at a team friendly contract or they can let him go but he is a quality football player. The draft is damn deep in the first round for defensive linemen and if they let Raji walk they could replace his roster spot with a high drat pick. Nick Perry came into his own this year and if he can stay healthy his consistency goes way up. I know the Packers chose to decline his rookie option but I think he could actually be pretty good next year.

Ryan played 100% better this game against the Cardinals than the last game. He is a solidified starter at one inside position net year. I think the Packers are better off keeping Matthews on the outside or having him moving around the field. My personal opinion is that Matthews is totally overrated and tackles with alligator arms and is a space cadet in coverage. He has absolutely no feel for it, but he is a play maker and I can't deny that even if it is only one play a game. Sam Barrington comes back next year, I don't know how good he actually is but he could make due he should push Clay back outside.

This secondary is going to be bad ass in the next few years. Let Hayward walk because the Packers have young depth.

So really the only thing you have to think about is if Peppers can be replaced. Sure he is the responsible party for leaving Fitzgerald wide open on the broken play. The bottom line is Peppers is a fantastic athlete one of the best to play the game but his strength certainly isn't coverage.

Now the struggles that need to be addressed,

You might want to figure out what the hell is wrong with the Punter, his second half of the season kinda sucked balls and hurt the Packers in the field position several times.

The offensive line is banged up. This is tough because when they are healthy they are a quality offensive line, but they are constantly banged up and hurt. Maybe that is just the offensive line in today's NFL but then the Packers need an option other than Don Barclay as a back up tackle. The Packers could take a couple of linemen in this year's draft and mold them, but really the quick fix is finding a couple of free agent fellas that have some experience and wouldn't kill you when they would have to fill in for an injured linemen. But depth is a big concern and needs to be addressed.

Richard Rodgers is not the answer long term at tight end. He was supposed to be a receiving threat at the tight end position and frankly he is too damn slow to stretch the field and not quick enough to turn short routes into significant gains. They need to find a quality player at TE either in the draft which is low on quality this year or actually break open the pocket book and look to free agency.

Eddie Lacy is fat and needs to take better care of himself if he wants to be productive and stay in the league. I just don't think football interests him as much as sitting around playing video games. For a back that makes his name on gaining those hard yards by taking shots and delivering shots he has to be committed to playing the game. If he continues to let himself go in the off season expect more injuries and less production. I could see the Packers going after a back in the draft for long term insurance. Starks could be replaced. Continue to keep John Kuhn he is dependable in pass pro, can catch the ball, and is pretty good as a lead blocker if his running backs would actually follow him through the hole.

Now, the offense seemed out of whack for the majority of the second half of the season. Maybe fans were spoiled over the past few years but everyone could see the frustration on McCarthy's face and Rodger's face. Maybe it gets fixed with a healthy offensive line, healthy receivers, and a fit Lacy. I wish it was that simple, but maybe it is. As far as personnel goes I don't think you can say it is this guy or that guy. How can Janis get open on a slant multiple times in this game but yet Cobb and Jones and Adams struggle to run that route? I am just completely baffled by the lack of consistency with this offense in 2015. I don't know if McCarthy will keep his coaching staff intact. It seems like there might be too many cooks in the kitchen and Clemens may be on his way out leaving Edgar Bennett as the OC, McCarthy will call plays. I didn't see a remarkable difference between McCarthy calling plays and Clemens. I think Clemens like the screen game a little bit more. Honestly I think the Packers need to go back to the original West Coast Offense and take advantage of the short intermediate routes similar to the Patriots.

Really the Packers should be favored to win the division next season and have a 1-6 shot at winning the Super Bowl. I tell you what I like what the Packers will bring to the table next season as long as they figure out how to stay healthy.

Pugger
01-17-2016, 01:09 AM

We also still need a speedy ILB. Another pass rusher would be nice. Julius isn't getting any younger.

superfan
01-17-2016, 01:11 AM
Great post Nutz, you pretty much nailed it.

I'm not convinced Ryan is a solidified starter yet, I'd still be looking at him as someone you would want to upgrade if you could.

Rich Rod is basically a poor man's Bubba, which isn't saying much. Maybe even an Ed West type of TE. No idea what the contract situation is for the Washington TE (Jordan Reed) but he looks like he could be a great fit for this offense if he stays healthy.

Pugger
01-17-2016, 01:22 AM
Remember this is coming from a motherfucker that really doesn't care if the Packers win or lose, so I am not bent over dry heaving because the Packers lost.

I honestly think that although the Packers lost this game so really good things happened on the field today. For one the receiving corps just got solidified for next year as Abbey and Janis demonstrated that they can step up in big games and contribute. I don't think either one of them will ever be elite but they did some really good things tonight and with that I think they earned Rodger's trust tonight. So as everyone is panicked about the receiving corps, I would feel really good going into next year with getting Nelson back, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, Janis, and Abbrederis rounding out your top 5. If they stay healthy that is damn good receiving corps.

The Defense has really transformed this year to a an above average defense that can hold their own against almost any team in the league. They are solid and I expect Dom to come back and put out another quality defense. They need to resign Raji at a team friendly contract or they can let him go but he is a quality football player. The draft is damn deep in the first round for defensive linemen and if they let Raji walk they could replace his roster spot with a high drat pick. Nick Perry came into his own this year and if he can stay healthy his consistency goes way up. I know the Packers chose to decline his rookie option but I think he could actually be pretty good next year.

Ryan played 100% better this game against the Cardinals than the last game. He is a solidified starter at one inside position net year. I think the Packers are better off keeping Matthews on the outside or having him moving around the field. My personal opinion is that Matthews is totally overrated and tackles with alligator arms and is a space cadet in coverage. He has absolutely no feel for it, but he is a play maker and I can't deny that even if it is only one play a game. Sam Barrington comes back next year, I don't know how good he actually is but he could make due to push Clay back outside.

This secondary is going to be bad ass in the next few years. Let Hayward walk because the Packers have young depth. So really the only thing you have to think about is if Peppers can be replaced. Sure he is the responsible party for leaving Fitzgerald wide open on the broken play. The bottom line is Peppers is a fantastic athlete one of the best to play the game but is strength certainly isn't coverage.

You might want to figure out what the hell is wrong with the Punter, his second half of the season kinda sucked balls and hurt the Packers in the field position several times.

The offensive line is banged up. This is tough because when they are healthy they are a quality offensive line, but they are constantly banged up and hurt. Maybe that is just the offensive line in today's NFL but then the Packers need an option other than Don Barclay as a back up tackle. The Packers could take a couple of linemen in this year's draft and mold them, but really the quick fix is finding a couple of free agent fellas that have some experience and wouldn't kill you when they would have to fill in for an injured linemen. But depth is a big concern and needs to be addressed.

Richard Rodgers is not the answer long term at tight end. He was supposed to be a receiving threat at the tight end position and frankly he is too damn slow to stretch the field and not quick enough to turn short routes into significant gains. They need to find a quality player at TE either in the draft which is low on quality this year or actually break open the pocket book and look to free agency.

Eddie Lacy is fat and needs to take better care of himself if he wants to be productive and stay in the league. I just don't think football interests him as much as sitting around playing video games. For a back that makes his name on gaining those hard yards by taking shots and delivering shots he has to be committed to playing the game. If he continues to let himself go in the off season expect more injuries and less production. I could see the Packers going after a back in the draft for long term insurance. Starks could be replaced. Continue to keep John Kuhn he is dependable in pass pro, can catch the ball, and is pretty good as a lead blocker if his running backs would actually follow him through the hole.

Now, the offense seemed out of whack for the majority of the second half of the season. Maybe fans were spoiled over the past few years but everyone could see the frustration on McCarthy's face and Rodger's face. Maybe it gets fixed with a healthy offensive line, healthy receivers, and a fit Lacy. I wish it was that simple, but maybe it is. As far as personnel goes I don't think you can say it is this guy or that guy. How can Janis get open on a slant multiple times in this game but yet Cobb and Jones and Adams struggle to run that route? I am just completely baffled by the lack of consistency with this offense in 2015. I don't know if McCarthy will keep his coaching staff intact. It seems like there might be too many cooks in the kitchen and Clemens may be on his way out leaving Edgar Bennett as the OC, McCarthy will call plays. I didn't see a remarkable difference between McCarthy calling plays and Clemens. I think Clemens like the screen game a little bit more. Honestly I think the Packers need to go back to the original West Coast Offense and take advantage of the short intermediate routes similar to the Patriots.

Really the Packers should be favored to win the division next season and have a 1-6 shot at winning the Super Bowl. I tell you what I like what the Packers will bring to the table next season as long as they figure out how to stay healthy.

Nice post.

I think what really hurt the passing offense this year besides injuries was not having a WR coach. Maybe if we had one we wouldn't be having these route running issues.

smuggler
01-17-2016, 01:23 AM
Nutz is on-point. A healthy season will put us in good shape for a SB trophy in 2016. With a good/great draft this spring, we will be SB favorites in 2017.

esoxx
01-17-2016, 01:31 AM
Not to mention, we play the dregs of the league, known as the AFC South, next season. Murders row of Tenn, Jax, Indy, & Hous. Should help pad the record towards a first round bye.

Freak Out
01-17-2016, 02:41 AM
Great post Nutz, you pretty much nailed it.

I'm not convinced Ryan is a solidified starter yet, I'd still be looking at him as someone you would want to upgrade if you could.

Rich Rod is basically a poor man's Bubba, which isn't saying much. Maybe even an Ed West type of TE. No idea what the contract situation is for the Washington TE (Jordan Reed) but he looks like he could be a great fit for this offense if he stays healthy.

DO NOT insult Ed West. :)

Badgerinmaine
01-17-2016, 06:44 AM

"Poor Ed West--couldn't catch a pass if it hit him in the chest..." :grin:

George Cumby
01-17-2016, 09:29 AM
Have an intervention with Rodgers and convince him to 86 Olivia Ono. Yoko Munn. Whatever.

George Cumby
01-17-2016, 09:30 AM

Ryan played 100% better this game against the Cardinals than the last game. He is a solidified starter at one inside position net year. I think the Packers are better off keeping Matthews on the outside or having him moving around the field. My personal opinion is that Matthews is totally overrated and tackles with alligator arms and is a space cadet in coverage. He has absolutely no feel for it, but he is a play maker and I can't deny that even if it is only one play a game. Sam Barrington comes back next year, I don't know how good he actually is but he could make due he should push Clay back outside.

This secondary is going to be bad ass in the next few years. Let Hayward walk because the Packers have young depth.

So really the only thing you have to think about is if Peppers can be replaced. Sure he is the responsible party for leaving Fitzgerald wide open on the broken play. The bottom line is Peppers is a fantastic athlete one of the best to play the game but his strength certainly isn't coverage.

For a guy that doesn't care you took a long time to write a well thought out and insightful post. : )

pbmax
01-17-2016, 10:11 AM

Toolbox for Life!

But to address superfan's point, Rodgers would be a great second TE, someone to block the backside in two TE sets or release for a pass in the red zone. He is also more than capable for spot starts. But next level talent would be huge.

I think I want Hayward back. He still makes plays on the ball. A lot might depend on whether he really has lost his athleticism (and is not a smaller Hyde) due to injury or not. But he seemed to get better.

I want one of Raji or Guion back. Drafting a guy is fine too.

Deputy Nutz
01-17-2016, 10:15 AM
I thought Guion had one more year left, but he should be resigned if he is a free agent. He would be cheaper than Raji. I believe the Packers are in decent shape under the salary cap so there is no reason that Heyward, Raji, and Guion couldn't not be all resigned, remember how much the our dbs made on the free agent market last year makes me think Ted won't pony up for Heyward.

Tony Oday
01-17-2016, 10:17 AM

The Vikings are terrible. We almost won this game without our too 4 WR?!

red
01-17-2016, 10:24 AM

BS

janis and abby looked better then any of our wr's (minus jordy) have looked all year

Joemailman
01-17-2016, 10:26 AM
I thought Guion had one more year left, but he should be resigned if he is a free agent. He would be cheaper than Raji. I believe the Packers are in decent shape under the salary cap so there is no reason that Heyward, Raji, and Guion couldn't not be all resigned, remember how much the our dbs made on the free agent market last year makes me think Ted won't pony up for Heyward.

I agree. let him go and take the comp pick. Gunter replaces him on the 46. I'd rather have Raji than Guion, but don't think both will be back. They have Pennel, get Boyd back from IR, and there are about a dozen DT's in the draft good enough to go in the first 3 rounds.

red
01-17-2016, 10:30 AM
yes we need to get gunter on the field next year

hayward is over rated imo anyways

Strange Brew
01-17-2016, 10:41 AM
get rid of the staff and start from scratch

i never want to see any of those fuckers again

Agreed! Clean house and put Eliot Wolf in charge.

red
01-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Agreed! Clean house and put Eliot Wolf in charge.

yes

maybe TT will finally retire and m3 will be offered a hc/gm job somewhere else

Iron Mike
01-17-2016, 10:58 AM

Consider history. The Queens will evaluate that all they need to do to get to elite status is to sign some free agents.....then they'll spend a bunch of $ and waste draft picks on some FA WRs that Teddy Bongwater can't even throw the ball to. Two years down the road, they'll be back in the basement with the Bears, allowing them time to collect draft picks and start the cycle all over again.

texaspackerbacker
01-17-2016, 11:08 AM
yes we need to get gunter on the field next year

hayward is over rated imo anyways

I almost forgot about Gunter. Add him to the list with Janis and Elliot of talented players the Packers make poor use of.

Patler
01-17-2016, 01:10 PM

The problem is, you can't improve the talent level by keeping all of the same players. It's a risk that you might in fact lower the talent level, but staying the same is not good enough.
Let Hayward go to give the younger, seemingly talented guys more opportunities.
Sign one of Raji or Guion and bring in someone new.

Beyond that:

Make Adams re-earn is position as #3 WR,
Let Montgomery challenge Cobb for his opportunities.
Allow Abbrederis and Janis to be less than perfect without being banished to the bench from where they watched the others make the same mistakes without repercussion.
Put conditioning requirements on Lacy, if the off season indicates he isn't following them, look to trade him. He isn't destined for a long career anyway if he doesn't get in shape.

Work at finding replacements for Shields and Bulaga. Both are key players, but neither is dependable physically. Neither should see another Packer contract, so you need to find their replacements. Shields has never played a 16 game regular season and has played 15 just once in 6 years. He averages 13 games/season. That disrupts the entire defense. Bulaga has been as bad for the 5 season's he has played in, but has an entire missed season in addition to that. In other words, he has been available for just 64 of 96 games since he and shields were rookies.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: Find out where AR's accuracy went. I have been watching past games to compare AR to the other QBs and to himself from previous years. Last night he missed long throws both being short and overthrowing. He skipped a ball into Jones when there was an opportunity for a completion. A tight window, sure, but he has hit those for his entire career until this year. He has made very few throws that showcased accuracy this year, but had opportunities every game to do so. On sideline throws most often he has been high, in spite of skipping it in to Jones last night. Accuracy was an issue even in training camp this year, mentioned before the season started, so it isn't due entirely to the WR and blocking issues that developed this year. It preceded those problems.

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 01:12 PM
My head is feeling better now that my family pulled it out of the oven.

call_me_ishmael
01-17-2016, 01:14 PM
I agree. let him go and take the comp pick. Gunter replaces him on the 46. I'd rather have Raji than Guion, but don't think both will be back. They have Pennel, get Boyd back from IR, and there are about a dozen DT's in the draft good enough to go in the first 3 rounds.

Raji is getting old enough where I don't think he'll completely break the bank. He has done *everything* right in terms of being all class when injured, etc. I expect the Packers to match his level of class and bring him back. I think Guion will likely be gone as well as Heyward.

Patler
01-17-2016, 01:18 PM
My head is feeling better now that my family pulled it out of the oven.

Were they conflicted in doing that?

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 01:19 PM
Were they conflicted in doing that?

yeah, they only did it because they felt they'd be blamed.

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 01:20 PM
Raji: World class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS2Dl3yhPYg

call_me_ishmael
01-17-2016, 01:20 PM
LOL @ clean house. You guys realize this team was injured as all get out, a massive underdog playing the super bowl favorite, and they still balled out and played them very close? Recall the D gave up 17 points prior to failing the 4th down on the Packers 20. They played a great game. The offense needs some work. They is a pretty darn good team, and more importantly history bears out that they are a first rate organization.

If I'm the Packers, I consider the following things:

I tell Eddie Lacy he comes to camp at 230 or he will be playing elsewhere. He looks NOTHING like the kid at Alabama, and he is incredibly slow now. He needs to get better.

I try to find a tight end by any means necessary. Richard Rodgers is a great team guy and a nice person by all accounts but he is just too slow. He is a bad blocker for his size, too. I try to get him to cut from 280 to 250 and see if he gets any faster.

I resign Nick Perry for an affordable contract. He isn't going to make big bucks. I try to get Mike Neal back on a 2 year deal.

I resign Raji.

I focus my energy on the draft on WR, TE, RB, MLB, DE depth and OT depth. Plausible? Maybe.

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 01:23 PM
^^^^ Yep, all good. But it's time to say goodbye to Peppers. The slide is apparent.

Joemailman
01-17-2016, 01:26 PM
I try to find a tight end by any means necessary. Richard Rodgers is a great team guy and a nice person by all accounts but he is just too slow. He is a bad blocker for his size, too. I try to get him to cut from 280 to 250 and see if he gets any faster.

I agree. He played at 245 as a senior in college and seemed to have decent, but not great speed. Then he bulked up for the Combine and ran poorly. I think he's even bigger now, although the Packers list his weight at pretty close to his Combine weight. He's not a physical player, so I do think he'd be better if he were lighter and quicker.

call_me_ishmael
01-17-2016, 01:30 PM
I agree. He played at 245 as a senior in college and seemed to have decent, but not great speed. Then he bulked up for the Combine and ran poorly. I think he's even bigger now, although the Packers list his weight at pretty close to his Combine weight. He's not a physical player, so I do think he'd be better if he were lighter and quicker.

I agree with you. Worst case - the experiment fails and he is still a tight end that is slow, can't block, but catches balls consistently :)

Pugger
01-17-2016, 01:30 PM
BS

janis and abby looked better then any of our wr's (minus jordy) have looked all year

Ty looked pretty darn good before he got injured.

Patler
01-17-2016, 01:35 PM

It is interesting that a short passing game worked for two drives with them, and hadn't really worked with Cobb and Adams much at all.

red
01-17-2016, 01:42 PM
LOL @ clean house. You guys realize this team was injured as all get out, a massive underdog playing the super bowl favorite, and they still balled out and played them very close? Recall the D gave up 17 points prior to failing the 4th down on the Packers 20. They played a great game. The offense needs some work. They is a pretty darn good team, and more importantly history bears out that they are a first rate organization.

If I'm the Packers, I consider the following things:

I tell Eddie Lacy he comes to camp at 230 or he will be playing elsewhere. He looks NOTHING like the kid at Alabama, and he is incredibly slow now. He needs to get better.

I resign Nick Perry for an affordable contract. He isn't going to make big bucks. I try to get Mike Neal back on a 2 year deal.

I resign Raji.

I focus my energy on the draft on WR, TE, RB, MLB, DE depth and OT depth. Plausible? Maybe.

get the fuck out of here with the god damn injury excuse

every fucking year half you clowns come out blaming injuries on why we didn't win another super bowl

every fucking year its the same excuse

red
01-17-2016, 01:44 PM
It is interesting that a short passing game worked for two drives with them, and hadn't really worked with Cobb and Adams much at all.

well, we sent janis deep a few times earlier, even if they didn't work, maybe it made the d at least thing about the deep routes. maybe that opened up the shorter stuff

so pretty much what some of us have been screaming at M# to do with janis since jordy went down

call_me_ishmael
01-17-2016, 01:44 PM
Where's the excuse? They balled out against the super bowl favorites. They aren't going to win the SB every year.

Pugger
01-17-2016, 01:47 PM
get the fuck out of here with the god damn injury excuse

every fucking year half you clowns come out blaming injuries on why we didn't win another super bowl

every fucking year its the same excuse

This year you can't sit there and say injuries didn't derail the offense. Our O lne was a mess and our WRs were slow and couldn't get separation in several games. It is no coincidence the healthiest teams are the ones winning in the post season. It sucks for us but c'est la vie.

red
01-17-2016, 01:49 PM
Ty looked pretty darn good before he got injured.

ty did look decent in the few games he played. he did look better then adams and cobb

but in the 5 games or so he played only one time did he have the same type of impact as abby had last night, and he wasn't even close to having a game like janis

BUT, monty is the least of our problems at WR, the problems are cobb whos getting paid like a #1 wr and showed this year he can't do anything outside of the slot and can't function without a real number one taking the pressure off him. and adams, who was rated as the worst full time WR in the nfl this year

red
01-17-2016, 01:50 PM
This year you can't sit there and say injuries didn't derail the offense. Our O lne was a mess and our WRs were slow and couldn't get separation in several games. It is no coincidence the healthiest teams are the ones winning in the post season. It sucks for us but c'est la vie.

you can say that every year pugger, and you people do say that every year

injuries are a way of life in the nfl, good teams adapt

Pugger
01-17-2016, 01:54 PM

When you consider the mess that our receiving corps was last night it was remarkable what Aaron and company did against that team. Our D chose the worst possible moment to break down in OT.

Striker
01-17-2016, 01:55 PM

Last year it wasn't an excuse. This year they had a chance, but sometimes they're insurmountable. The Patriots looked like they were falling apart with half their team gone, they get a week to rest, and suddenly they're back to doing what they do.

The Ravens and Chargers were crippled by injuries this year. Sometimes you can't get past them when you lose the wrong players.

But for the Packers it went deeper than injuries. The three leaders (TT/MM/AR) of the team failed in their own ways which led to this result.

Rutnstrut
01-17-2016, 01:56 PM
The biggest problem is the coaching staff and office people think like a lot of the people on this board. That this was a good season, They will use injuries for an excuse as they always do.

VegasPackFan
01-17-2016, 01:58 PM
I think the WR corps will be ok. Funny how Abby/Janis managed to get open downfield all game long when that seemed an impossibility for half the season with the other guys. Montgomery I think will be very good for us next year - losing him is what I think started the slide. Adams caught a million balls in college - they need to figure out what's wrong with him now and fix it.

OJ HOWARD for TE!!!!!

Our D Backfield is loaded with talent IMHO.

Fat Eddie is on a contract year next season, right? He'll be ready - lol.

We need OL and LB improvements, DL always need depth there.

Re-tool that offense by looking at how teams this year shut us down. I think they're smart enough to get that done.

call_me_ishmael
01-17-2016, 02:00 PM
Red, what you saw last night in my opinion was the QB slinging it a bit early. I think a lot of the blame for this season can fall on Rodgers A) not throwing it when there isn't massive separation and B) not being as accurate/confident as in years past.

If you listen to some of the reporters around the team, namely Mike Clements from WSSP, he says that if you watch the coaches tape where you see a birds eye view vs the side view, there are many cases where people are open enough and Aaron simply wouldn't throw the ball.

This was a weird year. I expect there to be some changes in the coaching staff. I think we will see Rodgers/MM continue to operate very closely next year as they did at the end of this year, and we will see more direct coaching of both the WR and QB. I expect to see some shuffling of the offensive coaching staff to have clear roles for QB coach and WR coach.

red
01-17-2016, 02:01 PM
When you consider the mess that our receiving corps was last night it was remarkable what Aaron and company did against that team. Our D chose the worst possible moment to break down in OT.

last night our offense looked just as inept as it has all season

and all season until last night, we had our #1b (cobb), #3 (adams), and our #4 (jones) all healthy

we lost our 1a, which was a big loss, and monty which was around our #4 or #5

last night when we lost cobb and didn't have adams is not when our passing game started going down hill

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 02:06 PM
The biggest problem is the coaching staff and office people think like a lot of the people on this board. That this was a good season, They will use injuries for an excuse as they always do.

I'm happy that the Packers don't think like you. Then we'd look more like Cleveland with changing leadership every year.

red
01-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Red, what you saw last night in my opinion was the QB slinging it a bit early. I think a lot of the blame for this season can fall on Rodgers A) not throwing it when there isn't massive separation and B) not being as accurate/confident as in years past.

If you listen to some of the reporters around the team, namely Mike Clements from WSSP, he says that if you watch the coaches tape where you see a birds eye view vs the side view, there are many cases where people are open enough and Aaron simply wouldn't throw the ball.

This was a weird year. I expect there to be some changes in the coaching staff. I think we will see Rodgers/MM continue to operate very closely next year as they did at the end of this year, and we will see more direct coaching of both the WR and QB. I expect to see some shuffling of the offensive coaching staff to have clear roles for QB coach and WR coach.

myself and other on here have been saying that exact thing for many weeks now

a-rod lost his accuracy somehow, and because of that and/or his ultra conservativeness with the ball, he was unwilling to throw to anyone who was even slightly covered

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 02:07 PM
last night our offense looked just as inept as it has all season

I disagree. Did you see no difference between last night and three weeks ago? If you didn't, you must have been drinking more than imaginable.

Pugger
01-17-2016, 02:07 PM
I seriously doubt Adams and JJ were 100% healthy for most the season this year. Earlier in the year Cobb was beat up too. Kudos to Abby and Janis for stepping up last night. :glug:

Rutnstrut
01-17-2016, 02:08 PM
While we are talking about players we hope they do/don't bring back. I hope Peppers is one that they don't, he makes a play once in a while that's it. I would rather see a young all out effort guy.

red
01-17-2016, 02:09 PM
I'm happy that the Packers don't think like you. Then we'd look more like Cleveland with changing leadership every year.

instead we look like the rams clinging to jeff fisher because he once took a team to the super bowl

or like bucs fans who are pissed after two horrible seasons that the team fired lovie because he's such a good coach since he went to the SB once

Pugger
01-17-2016, 02:09 PM

I've never heard a coach on this staff use injuries as an excuse. It is mostly fans who do that. Personally I thought the coaches did a nice job getting this rag tag bunch ready to play they way they did in regulation. Too bad a missed assignment in OT did us in.

red
01-17-2016, 02:11 PM
I disagree. Did you see no difference between last night and three weeks ago? If you didn't, you must have been drinking more than imaginable.

sorry but our offense was shit last night until the 2 hail mary's to end regulation

our defense looked a whole hell of a lot better then they did 3 weeks ago, until OT

and the o-line did do better. but they just gave a-rod more time to NOT make plays until the very end

Pugger
01-17-2016, 02:11 PM
instead we look like the rams clinging to jeff fisher because he once took a team to the super bowl

or like bucs fans who are pissed after two horrible seasons that the team fired lovie because he's such a good coach since he went to the SB once

We look like the Rams and Bucs? :lol: Neither of those teams are gonna sniff a SB in the near future.

Pugger
01-17-2016, 02:13 PM
sorry but our offense was shit last night until the 2 hail mary's to end regulation

I thought you said our passing game improved after Cobb went down? You hate McCarthy and are pissed because we lost. Did you really think we had a prayer in hell to win that game before it started?

red
01-17-2016, 02:14 PM
We look like the Rams and Bucs? :lol: Neither of those teams are gonna sniff a SB in the near future.

i'm book marking this post. if either of those teams win the super bowl the year following the firing of their HC, you'll be the first one i remind

esoxx
01-17-2016, 02:16 PM
I would sure like to see a QB coach AND a WR coach next season instead of the combo act they pulled with Van Pelt this year, which was ridiculous. Made no sense.

Pugger
01-17-2016, 02:17 PM
i'm book marking this post. if either of those teams win the super bowl the year following the firing of their HC, you'll be the first one i remind

Be my guest. The 2016 Rams and Bucs will not be the 2002 Tampa Bay Bucs.

red
01-17-2016, 02:17 PM
I thought you said our passing game improved after Cobb went down? You hate McCarthy and are pissed because we lost. Did you really think we had a prayer in hell to win that game before it started?

janis and abby looked better at wr then cobb and adams have all year, but a-rod was just as shitty

rodgers was at like 50% and 160 yards before the two close your eyes and pray throws to end regulation

it was working better last night at times, but it was still the same broken mess

Pugger
01-17-2016, 02:18 PM
I would sure like to see a QB coach AND a WR coach next season instead of the combo act they pulled with Van Pelt this year, which was ridiculous. Made no sense.

And this is why both Aaron's play and our WR play suffered this year.

Rutnstrut
01-17-2016, 02:18 PM

That puzzled me as well. It's not like they did it because they couldn't afford to pay a separate coach.

Maxie the Taxi
01-17-2016, 02:20 PM
Keep it up, red. I'm with ya all the way. I agree with everything you say. :wave:

red
01-17-2016, 02:22 PM
Keep it up, red. I'm with ya all the way. I agree with everything you say. :wave:

glad to see theres other smart open minded people on the board

Maxie the Taxi
01-17-2016, 02:30 PM
^ LOL

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 02:32 PM

our defense looked a whole hell of a lot better then they did 3 weeks ago, until OT

and the o-line did do better. but they just gave a-rod more time to NOT make plays until the very end

I think you have it backwards, really. The O was so much better, it's hard to believe. The defense was very good last night, but they only gave up 24 three weeks ago, despite the ineptitude of the offense. You're not making much sense here.

woodbuck27
01-17-2016, 02:46 PM

That game shouldn't have ever gone to OT.

The Arizona team was in shock.

MM had to call for the 2 point play right then and there ....go for the 'W'. It's way too obvious that again MM chocked. We saw it before and we'll see it again. MM doesn't have it in him to go balls to the walls and win when that opportunity was a simple decision away.

Kick for the tie and a 'whatever in OT' ( MM loves that) or win it with one play when Arizona was in obvious disarray. MM hasn't got it in him to know when to take advantage of an obvious opportunity.

We had the POWER...the ball and you pull out the dagger and sink it in Arizona's heart.

red
01-17-2016, 02:47 PM
I think you have it backwards, really. The O was so much better, it's hard to believe. The defense was very good last night, but they only gave up 24 three weeks ago, despite the ineptitude of the offense. You're not making much sense here.

put your head back in the oven

red
01-17-2016, 03:10 PM
i wonder if the seahawks would trade jimmy graham after he clearly didn't work in their system?

Maxie the Taxi
01-17-2016, 03:14 PM
i wonder if the seahawks would trade jimmy graham after he clearly didn't work in their system?Don't go there, red. :-)

Joemailman
01-17-2016, 03:15 PM
i wonder if the seahawks would trade jimmy graham after he clearly didn't work in their system?

To the Packers? I doubt it. Why would they want to help the Packers with their TE problem?

red
01-17-2016, 03:16 PM
well thats a good point

Joemailman
01-17-2016, 03:30 PM
I would think the Seahawks are going to try to make the Graham situation work. They're about 30 mil under the cap, so they're not in dire need of dumping contracts.

run pMc
01-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Sign Crosby, one of Neal/Perry, one of Raji/Guion,
draft a sideline-to-sideline ILB, a #1 TE, a speedy 3rd down back, and a backup OT,
find out where Rodgers' accuracy went,
hire a WR coach,
Get Lacy to lose weight and not run out of gas on long runs (for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPrnpAK4n5Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QYrhTKzQPc
)
Put Clay back at OLB
Get healthy, stay out of jail, and
coach players up to make that so-called "leap to the next level" (Rollins, Randall, Monty, Janis, Ryan...

woodbuck27
01-17-2016, 03:40 PM

It should be obvious that Aaron Rodgers had issues and passing accuracy and certainly that after the Packers Bye Week.

Whatever was wrong in terms of that fact has to be a NO. 1 priority FOCUS and corrected.

It's obvious to me that we'll be OK at WR next season. The young guys Abby and Janis gained a lot in that game last night.

With Jordy Nelson back and the speed of Janis we have deep threats. Randall Cobb can then be the slot receiver he is. See Aaron Rodgers again and throwing accuracy. Our receiving core is set for the 2016 season. We need a hire on the Coaching Staff that can work with that receiving group and route running and will help Aaron Rodgers and his WR's and the mental confidence or chemistry that was missing after the Bye Week.

Someone posted that TE Richard Rodgers only has to lose what....30 lbs and we'll see 'magically' a faster Richard Rodgers.

Nope ! Richard Rodgers is please forget the partial pun 'flat out' slow and doesn't matchup well Vs the speed of NFL Defenses,

I'm not a BJ Raji fan. We need a new BIG BODY on the Roster with starting ability.

Sam Shields certainly is a concern and his medical history. TT needs to asdd a quality CB this off season.

TT has to increase the depth on the OL.

GO PACK GO !

Patler
01-17-2016, 04:17 PM
Looking at some of Lacy's older highlights, and watching him starting to lumber after 25-30 yards last night, sure emphasized how much bigger he is now, and the effect that has on him. Even his favorite spin move has been slower this year.

pbmax
01-17-2016, 04:27 PM

Abby is a better route runner than Cobb full stop.

Janis is big enough to do a slant the way Adams should. Plus he has deep speed.

But that isn't the offense they tried to run most of the season.

pbmax
01-17-2016, 04:29 PM

The O was that much better compared to three weeks ago (mainly the O line). But they were better than the poor struggling regular season offense only in the first half.

I thought D was better this time until end when it looked similar to 3 weeks ago. Remember, the Cards pulled their starters late, when they could have put another score or two on the board.

call_me_ishmael
01-17-2016, 04:32 PM
myself and other on here have been saying that exact thing for many weeks now

a-rod lost his accuracy somehow, and because of that and/or his ultra conservativeness with the ball, he was unwilling to throw to anyone who was even slightly covered

Sure - so, why again are we cleaning house on a top 3 coaching staff in the NFL?

Packers were clearly outmatched last night, yet MM and DC had the guys A) amped up and believing they were going to win and B) had a brilliant scheme defensively. They shut down the #1 offense in the league, and held them to the fewest yards they had in a half all year.

The Packers O couldn't get rolling in the second half and that kept the D on the field too long. Once it was clear they couldn't sustain drives, you knew they were gonna blow the lead. Giving up 17 "real" points to a premier offense is unbelievable, though. Amazing coaching job last night.

call_me_ishmael
01-17-2016, 04:33 PM

Yep, I have been saying this too. I'd bet big bucks this is addressed.

Patler
01-17-2016, 04:36 PM
But that isn't the offense they tried to run most of the season.

Which begs the question, why?
Unfortunately, we can not get into their heads to know the answer. I have wondered all year why Janis was not used on slants. It is a play that he had success with last year and this year in preseason, and a play he said they ran all the time in college. I think two preseason TDs were slants in which he just ran away from people. It is obviously a play he has comfort running. It just seems that during this turbulent year, they could have found two or three plays a game to look at Janis with a route he runs well.

pbmax
01-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Which begs the question, why?
Unfortunately, we can not get into their heads to know the answer. I have wondered all year why Janis was not used on slants. It is a play that he had success with last year and this year in preseason, and a play he said they ran all the time in college. I think two preseason TDs were slants in which he just ran away from people. It is obviously a play he has comfort running. It just seems that during this turbulent year, they could have found two or three plays a game to look at Janis with a route he runs well.

Its as big a mystery this offseason as the end of game management was last year. I hope the answers are better than last year's attempt at a fix.

Patler
01-17-2016, 05:08 PM
Its as big a mystery this offseason as the end of game management was last year. I hope the answers are better than last year's attempt at a fix.

Even more mysterious when listening to MM. At least two times earlier this year, one when Janis had the long plays early in the season, and again last night MM said Janis has a lot of talent, and just needs to play more. Well, then.............PLAY HIM MORE! My gosh, MM is the one who makes those decisions. If MM believed that all Janis needed was to play more, why didn't MM play him more?

Janis showed again last night, he doesn't always look smooth doing it, but given opportunities he makes a lot of things happen. He had four long receptions and two long PI calls in very limited opportunities this year.

channtheman
01-17-2016, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure where we go either, but if you find out, let Toto know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjYoGHhzsfg

Rastak
01-17-2016, 05:25 PM

You sir, are as accurate a football prognosticator as my dog. He's an idiot most of the time.

For fun, do you ever go back and re-read your predictions and takes?

mraynrand
01-17-2016, 05:27 PM
You sir, are as accurate a football prognosticator as my dog.

my dog predicted Fitzgerald would score the winning TD. Good dog! (or bad dog!?)

Rastak
01-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Raji: World class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS2Dl3yhPYg

Raji would kick his ass.

Patler
01-17-2016, 05:40 PM
The Vikings were a darn good team this year. All they need to do is show they are legit over the long term. The NFC Central has had a lot of teams flash for a year or two, then disappear again. A few years ago, even the Lions looked like the team of the future with a good young QB, a solid foundation on defense, etc. I never worried a lot, because which ever team it was, the Vikings, Bears or Lions seemed to have won on more than their share of good fortune, or seemed to need key players with career years to do it. With Schwartz and others I felt the head coaches might be their undoing over the long term.

Unfortunately for the Packers, I have none of those reservations about the Vikings right now. I think they are legit, with their biggest concern having to be how long they can ride AP before evolving away from him. I think they have a good staff for developing the team long term.

Cheesehead Craig
01-17-2016, 05:44 PM
There needs to be some fresh ideas for this offense to come in from outside the organization. Whether that means Clements had to go or a co-OC comes in I don't know. But far too often the pass offense seems to be primarily Rodgers buying time and then somebody trying to get open because the routes were shit. It just looks like some schoolyard crap.

The Pack also have to get some speed in the backfield. Fat Kid can't go outside and has no agility and Starks has big time ball security issues. We need more than that in the backfield.

Rastak
01-17-2016, 05:57 PM
The Vikings were a darn good team this year. All they need to do is show they are legit over the long term. The NFC Central has had a lot of teams flash for a year or two, then disappear again. A few years ago, even the Lions looked like the team of the future with a good young QB, a solid foundation on defense, etc. I never worried a lot, because which ever team it was, the Vikings, Bears or Lions seemed to have won on more than their share of good fortune, or seemed to need key players with career years to do it. With Schwartz and others I felt the head coaches might be their undoing over the long term.

Unfortunately for the Packers, I have none of those reservations about the Vikings right now. I think they are legit, with their biggest concern having to be how long they can ride AP before evolving away from him. I think they have a good staff for developing the team long term.

They gotta fix their offensive line or they will never be better than 11-5. (I joke, but that is really the main problem).

Rastak
01-17-2016, 05:59 PM
my dog predicted Fitzgerald would score the winning TD. Good dog! (or bad dog!?)

You gotta train him on the stock market, could payoff big. I might start with football with my dog then see how he understand financials.

red
01-17-2016, 06:24 PM
There needs to be some fresh ideas for this offense to come in from outside the organization. Whether that means Clements had to go or a co-OC comes in I don't know. But far too often the pass offense seems to be primarily Rodgers buying time and then somebody trying to get open because the routes were shit. It just looks like some schoolyard crap.

The Pack also have to get some speed in the backfield. Fat Kid can't go outside and has no agility and Starks has big time ball security issues. We need more than that in the backfield.

that might be the best thing we could do

so fine, we let fat mike keep his job again even though he's suppose to be the brains behind the offense, and they sucked this year.

can clements, he's nothing to this team

have edgar go back to being the WR coach, shit was run right when he was coaching those guys

then go find someone new out there to be the OC, maybe a college coach, something different. someone with freash ideas that can maybe help add some life to the team, if fat mike doesn't smother it first

i'm thinking like a chip kelly type (not chip kelly, but someone a long those lines) someone with some new ideas

pbmax
01-17-2016, 06:36 PM
Even more mysterious when listening to MM. At least two times earlier this year, one when Janis had the long plays early in the season, and again last night MM said Janis has a lot of talent, and just needs to play more. Well, then.............PLAY HIM MORE! My gosh, MM is the one who makes those decisions. If MM believed that all Janis needed was to play more, why didn't MM play him more?

Janis showed again last night, he doesn't always look smooth doing it, but given opportunities he makes a lot of things happen. He had four long receptions and two long PI calls in very limited opportunities this year.

Yes. There is the downside of not doing what he is supposed to on his routes which affects coverages and other receivers. But if keeps making plays, you need to adjust. Especially this year that should have been a goal.

At first it was as though they wanted Adams, then Monty healthy rather than adjust. Eventually, they had no choices left.

But I am still not sure the QB wanted him out there for most of the season. I think the RodgersO vs. McCarthyO is an issue at times like this.

pbmax
01-17-2016, 06:37 PM
They aren't going to change offenses with Rodgers still here unless McCarthy is shown the door.

Just like I think Solari had a positive effect on the ground game (especially screens), one assistant can bring some different things.

woodbuck27
01-17-2016, 08:20 PM
glad to see theres other smart open minded people on the board

red...Do you realize the cost of 'Must Be soft' toilet tissue these days?

It's cost efficient to simply wad a bunch around your fist and stuff it in place and anyway.....there's enough shit emanated from elsewhere.

red:

Did you get your annual subscription filled for the News Letter >>>"Praise TT and MM'?

For the life of me I cannot find a thing on that using Goggle.

Bossman641
01-17-2016, 11:21 PM
Geez, watching lacys rookie highlights vs this year sure is eye opening. Hopefully this year was a wake up call for him

wist43
01-17-2016, 11:47 PM
Nothing will change - TT and MM are what they are. A leopard doesn't change his spots.

TT will continue to plod along thru the draft without much regard for plugging holes or moving around to find difference makers. We will get 7-25 "good football players" thru the draft and no FA's.

How they roster the OL won't change - it has been that way since they got here. Run blocking offensive linemen?? we don't need no run blocking offensive linemen!! The running game will remain the same.

Special Teams will continue to be caught unawares, and otherwise be unspectacular.

And dunderdummy will continue to be dunderdummy.

Rinse, repeat.

---------------------------------------------------

In the meantime, the clock is ticking on Rodgers, and we're likely to lose some decent FA's with no one of consequence to fill the holes.

The division is Minnesota's to lose next year... I see us taking another step back next year.

Deputy Nutz
01-18-2016, 12:25 AM
I have said from day one that Rodgers is a tight ass with the football who would rather take sacks, run out of the pocket, or throw the ball out of bounds before attacking the tight Windows. He has never ever liked throwing the slant pattern that Favre killed with his final year in Green Bay. Rodger has a strong arm when throwing the ball down field but he doesn't have the ability or maybe the confidence to throw a ball with velocity in a tight spot. Look at the fourth down incompletion in the fourth quarter, he skipped to Jones. Rodgers struggles to attack the middle of the field unless the play becomes broken, he likes his stats, he likes his QB rating. Aaron Rodgers is front runner who creates fantastic stats against lesser opponents and when his team has the out right lead. He is not a QB I want to lead my team when the game is close.

Deputy Nutz
01-18-2016, 12:27 AM
That being said Rodgers needs guys around him to make plays, like all the back shoulder throws last year. You didn't see one of those this year. Rodgers lost his accuracy because he lost faith in his targets and lost faith in his arm.

Smidgeon
01-18-2016, 05:01 AM

I was discussing with my brother earlier: Belicheck's offense fits Brady's skills perfectly, thus the success. M3's offense fits Rodgers skills good, but not great. With Rodgers' accuracy falling off and his legs starting to go as he gets older, I suppose there's a little up in the air as to what he does do well. Needs some refocusing, I guess.

But M3's offense is good, maybe great, but it isn't perfect.

Smidgeon
01-18-2016, 05:02 AM

Honestly, it's somewhat wild that Janis catches so few passes but they all end up as massive plays. You just need to get someone like that on the field more. The bad routes are worth the 61 yard catches on 4th and 20 and the hail mary TDs.

woodbuck27
01-18-2016, 07:24 AM
Geez, watching lacys rookie highlights vs this year sure is eye opening. Hopefully this year was a wake up call for him

Hopefully MM and the Coach responsible for the RB position will reach Eddie Lacy this off season.

It became perfectly clear on his long breaking run that he ran out of gas. You had to seen that lacy wqasn't going to close the deal and six on that run.

Does MM have to ensure oxygen on the sidelines for any Packer that's in less than tip top physical strength?

Hasn't this aid of precaution been in place in the past?

I'm trying to understand why MM ignored more and James Starks Vs Arizona. He looked good... when his number........ was ......called.

On how many other plays did Head Coach and self positioned strategist and play caller, Mike McCarthy ... go to any other RB's (not named Lacy or Starks) ? Did MM do enough in Packer practises and game preperation to be prepared to use those alternatives?

Thus >>>Allow that contribution as ' his tool box has a potentially known value' other tools option?

mraynrand
01-18-2016, 08:27 AM
Rodgers struggles to attack the middle of the field unless the play becomes broken, he likes his stats, he likes his QB rating.

Do you think he bases his throws on traditional QBR during the games or does he use that ESPN rating? I suspect the latter. Probably the running computation of his QBR is throwing off his game. Maybe the Packers could hire a QBR/stat guy to take the pressure off Rodgers and more quickly suggest passes and strategies that optimize his stats. They could cleverly sneak in plays designed to win over the plays Rodgers chooses to pad his stats.

pbmax
01-18-2016, 09:11 AM
^All I know is that I am glad he is finally throwing interceptions now (especially wide in the end zone) as an indication that he is serious about #winning and not padding his stats or being anal retentive. Perhaps next year he can consider adding interceptions in the middle of the field as evidence of his dedication to #winning.

Rutnstrut
01-18-2016, 09:22 AM
While it is a bit over board to say Rodgers is a stat whore. You can't deny that he plays it too safe too often.

woodbuck27
01-18-2016, 09:24 AM
^All I know is that I am glad he is finally throwing interceptions now (especially wide in the end zone) as an indication that he is serious about #winning and not padding his stats or being anal retentive. Perhaps next year he can consider adding interceptions in the middle of the field as evidence of his dedication to #winning.

Noted sarcasm alert !

Evidence we are NOW in the Off Season and Packer Nation.

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2016, 09:27 AM
All sarcasm aside, it's not unreasonable to think Rodgers detests TO's (sees them as really game changing moments) so takes pains to avoid interceptions. Plus, it can't hurt his reputation, which means contract $$$.

ThunderDan
01-18-2016, 09:34 AM
All sarcasm aside, it's not unreasonable to think Rodgers detests TO's (sees them as really game changing moments) so takes pains to avoid interceptions. Plus, it can't hurt his reputation, which means contract $$$.

Sorry, not turning the ball over in the NFL is huge. I like that Arod is not willing to toss up 50/50 balls and cost us field position and points. Look at all the points we lost during the stretch when ARod was throwing red zone INTs.

Only at the end of the game does taking more risks seem worth the rewards.

red
01-18-2016, 09:36 AM
i think another thing that the coaching staff needs to work on this year is catching drills for db's

how many int's did we drop this year? had to be over 10

red
01-18-2016, 09:38 AM
Sorry, not turning the ball over in the NFL is huge. I like that Arod is not willing to toss up 50/50 balls and cost us field position and points. Look at all the points we lost during the stretch when ARod was throwing red zone INTs.

a lot of his int's aren't coming from him trying to thread the needle or fit the ball into tight coverage

they come from just horrible throws

pbmax
01-18-2016, 09:39 AM

Its also a bit misleading. He has thrown many contested balls to Nelson, Jones, Jennings and Driver over the years. Even Cobb. Its all a matter of the offense being in sync, receiver to QB.

woodbuck27
01-18-2016, 09:41 AM

Watching him before his season I would entirely agree Maxi but after the Bye Week and this past Season.

Aaron Rodgers his demeanor and/or attitude and his play overall ...............a complete surprize....a mystery as to why he's fallen off ...to me.

He may be entirely anal in terms of personality and need things just so?

It may be in terms of his position of importance and the BEST chance as Packer Head Coach MM has of winning......it's all about me (Aaron >>> MM) That places the pressure on MM to satisfy Aaron Rodgers.' when it really has to be RE: MM about what's BEST for himself.?

We as fans see something and wonder what's that shrugging and hand gesture frustration fits about....in terms of REAL depth and force of negative impact on the Packer results.

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2016, 09:44 AM

Only at the end of the game does taking more risks seem worth the rewards.Memo to Thunder: I agree with you!

Joemailman
01-18-2016, 09:49 AM
i think another thing that the coaching staff needs to work on this year is catching drills for db's

how many int's did we drop this year? had to be over 10

4 or 5 just in the 2 playoff games. Didn't hurt against Washington, but it obviously did against Arizona.

pbmax
01-18-2016, 10:01 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 1m1 minute ago
TE Mitchell Henry and LB Carl Bradford have signed reserve/future contracts with the #Packers. OG Matt Rotheram and DT Christian Ringo also.

pbmax
01-18-2016, 10:02 AM
Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 5m5 minutes ago
#Packers CB Casey Hayward, who will be a free agent: "I played well all year. I think people can throw on the film and see that."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 4m4 minutes ago
Casey Hayward: "They’ve got some young guys here. Pretty sure they want these young guys to play regardless of if I’m here or not."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 4m4 minutes ago
More Hayward: "Hopefully I have another three or four years here. If not, I appreciate everybody. This organization has been great here."

Fritz
01-18-2016, 11:10 AM
Good bye, Casey. You made yourself some money there, those last few games.

Good luck, dude. GB just doesn't have the cash and need at that position.

He gets it. Seems like a good dude.

Joemailman
01-18-2016, 11:18 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 1m1 minute ago
TE Mitchell Henry and LB Carl Bradford have signed reserve/future contracts with the #Packers. OG Matt Rotheram and DT Christian Ringo also.

Carl Bradford's nickname should be Sasquatch. Does he really exist? There have been rumored sightings, but are they reliable? Matt Rotheram could replace Barclay next year. We need to be drumming up some support for Ringo. Heard some good reports about him in practice. He was seen as something of a Mike Daniels clone when he was drafted.

Bossman641
01-18-2016, 11:53 AM
It's a shame Hayward never rediscovered his ball-hawking days of his rookie year. I wonder if it will come back next year being another year out from injury.

pbmax
01-18-2016, 11:57 AM
Carl Bradford's nickname should be Sasquatch. Does he really exist? There have been rumored sightings, but are they reliable? Matt Rotheram could replace Barclay next year. We need to be drumming up some support for Ringo. Heard some good reports about him in practice. He was seen as something of a Mike Daniels clone when he was drafted.

And like Sasquatch, we have grainy film of him walking around in the wilds up North.

Deputy Nutz
01-18-2016, 12:34 PM
Do you think he bases his throws on traditional QBR during the games or does he use that ESPN rating? I suspect the latter. Probably the running computation of his QBR is throwing off his game. Maybe the Packers could hire a QBR/stat guy to take the pressure off Rodgers and more quickly suggest passes and strategies that optimize his stats. They could cleverly sneak in plays designed to win over the plays Rodgers chooses to pad his stats.

Probably the ESPN rating. You could hire a stat guy but eventually Rodgers will just roll his eyes and shake his head at him in disgust.

Deputy Nutz
01-18-2016, 12:37 PM

His interceptions have been poor throws this year. He has missed open receiver or under thrown them, they weren't caused because Aaron was taking a risk.

pbmax
01-18-2016, 01:21 PM
His interceptions have been poor throws this year. He has missed open receiver or under thrown them, they weren't caused because Aaron was taking a risk.

a) He had 8 interceptions, you are only remembering two of the end zone ones.

b) Throwing on the move, from odd angles and back footed, is always a greater risk that pocket throws. That he made the throw despite his down year and disconnect from his receivers disproves the hypothesis.

Patler
01-18-2016, 01:27 PM

Now I understand why he always has the Microsoft Surface in his hands as soon as he comes of the field. He is recalculating his QBR to decide where his emphasis should be during the next series. Completions? Yardage? A TD? So many things to keep track of.

red
01-18-2016, 03:27 PM
a) He had 8 interceptions, you are only remembering two of the end zone ones.

b) Throwing on the move, from odd angles and back footed, is always a greater risk that pocket throws. That he made the throw despite his down year and disconnect from his receivers disproves the hypothesis.

pick #1 against rams, tipped at line and picked off
#2 rams, db baited the throw and made a good play on the ball. good throw, bad decision to throw
#3 against panthers. last play of the game, under pressure, bad throw, cobb was wide open on the play and a-rod never saw him
#4 against bears, adams got bumped off his route, but i'm not so sure he could have gotten to the ball anyways. could go either way
#5 lions, horrible throw high over the receivers head
#6 raiders. under pressure, terrible underthrow to the endzone right at 2 raiders
#7 cards. bad throw into endzone right into defenders hands. maybe more of a bad decision
#8 queens. bad throw in endzone
#9 cards, playoffs. tipped at line

2 unlucky breaks
1 that maybe should have been a penalty but still might have been a bad throw
2 bad decisions
4 bad throws

in years past it seemed like almost all his ints came off bad breaks, ike off the hands of his receivers

pbmax
01-18-2016, 03:32 PM
^Accepting you diagnosis for the moment, does any of that scream unwilling to take risks?

red
01-18-2016, 03:41 PM
^Accepting you diagnosis for the moment, does any of that scream unwilling to take risks?

no, can't tell on the first tip pass, but on all of them he was throwing to covered players (someone within a few yards of the receiver)

pbmax
01-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 21m21 minutes ago
#Packers reserve-future signings: WR J. Johnson, WR Williams, LB Bradford, T Vujnovich, DT Campbell, G Rotheram, TE Henry and DT Ringo.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 24m24 minutes ago
#Packers sign all but 2 practice squad players to reserve/future contracts. Scheuerman and McBryde not on list of those added to '16 roster.

Deputy Nutz
01-18-2016, 09:02 PM

It does for me.

Bretsky
01-18-2016, 10:02 PM
Assuming they all get healthy, I could live with the following depth chart at WR

1. Nelson
2. Cobb
3. Montgomery
4. Abby
5. Janis
6. Fresno Fraud

But they HAVE to get a receiving TE and they really need a speedy receiving scatback (Dion Lewis/James White) to go along with those guys.

Add a high pick ILB to get Clay back outside, and then some OL and DL and we should be ok.

Bretsky
01-18-2016, 10:03 PM
And undoubtedly we need a separate QB and separate WR coach and then we gotta stop shuffling all this shit up and get consistency back

smuggler
01-18-2016, 10:38 PM
The problem with designed consistency is that it doesn't further the careers of your coaching crew. So, they have to pursue more varied experience elsewhere, if they have designs on becoming HC or coordinator somewhere along the line. It happened with McAdoo. *shrug*

Deputy Nutz
01-19-2016, 09:07 AM
Assuming they all get healthy, I could live with the following depth chart at WR

1. Nelson
2. Cobb
3. Montgomery
4. Abby
5. Janis
6. Fresno Fraud

But they HAVE to get a receiving TE and they really need a speedy receiving scatback (Dion Lewis/James White) to go along with those guys.

Add a high pick ILB to get Clay back outside, and then some OL and DL and we should be ok.

Agree with most of this, Starks is pretty good out of the backfield as a receiver so I wouldn't say they need a smaller RB to aid in the passing game.

A high pick at ILB is great, if one is available in the draft and you are not reaching just to fill the void.

The Fresno Fraud- this might be extreme as he as contributed to this team his first two seasons but has not progressed his second year like everyone thought. I think it might have been too big of a jump for him when Jordy went out. He wasn't ready and the ankle injury didn't help matters. I am willing to give him another season to see if he can fill the role of a younger James Jones.

pbmax
01-19-2016, 09:12 AM
I will never again believe that a veteran player cannot learn a new skill.

Never in the history of the Harlan/Murphy Packers did anything look more out of sync than Aaron Rodgers trying to complete a screen or short pass to James Starks.

The fact that it now works well is nearly a miracle.

mraynrand
The Fresno Fraud- this might be extreme as he as contributed to this team his first two seasons but has not progressed his second year like everyone thought. I think it might have been too big of a jump for him when Jordy went out. He wasn't ready and the ankle injury didn't help matters. I am willing to give him another season to see if he can fill the role of a younger James Jones.

ya, you did say the same thing. I think this is accurate. And next year, with everyone back, Adams will have some spotlight off him and he might just explode for a 1000 yard season, especially as a 3-5 receiver against inferior Douchebacks.

pbmax
The problem with designed consistency is that it doesn't further the careers of your coaching crew. So, they have to pursue more varied experience elsewhere, if they have designs on becoming HC or coordinator somewhere along the line. It happened with McAdoo. *shrug*

Someone needs to shake up M3 on his no huddle offense's problems versus man coverage.

Striker
01-19-2016, 11:09 AM
And undoubtedly we need a separate QB and separate WR coach and then we gotta stop shuffling all this shit up and get consistency back

^^^

This.

pbmax
01-19-2016, 06:25 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 1h1 hour ago
The #Packers have signed DE B.J. McBryde: http://pckrs.com/9a83

woodbuck27
01-19-2016, 08:20 PM
^^^

This.

YUP.

Carolina_Packer
01-19-2016, 08:47 PM
yeah, they only did it because they felt they'd be blamed.

That, and the frozen pizza was ready to bake.

Fritz
01-20-2016, 05:53 AM
I will never again believe that a veteran player cannot learn a new skill.

Never in the history of the Harlan/Murphy Packers did anything look more out of sync than Aaron Rodgers trying to complete a screen or short pass to James Starks.

The fact that it now works well is nearly a miracle.

You know, I kept forgetting to ask about this. My memory was that Starks was known for having poor hands - I distinctly remember that being the case, and him dropping passes all the time. Now he's known as their best pass-catching back? Crazy.

Bretsky
01-20-2016, 07:17 AM

FOR THE RECORD I completely agree with you Nutz. Fresno Fraud is harsh at this point and he gets another year to try to earn his 2nd round status but I'm quick to judge and still bitter Ted didn't draft my guy instead of the Fresno Fraud so I've labeled him early. I will say this though. Mike Montgomery showed me more this year in terms of route running ability than Adams has up to this point. And I'm doubtful he'll prove to be a good comparison with our normal litter of 2nd round WR's....aka....Jennings/Nelson/Cobb.

Bretsky
01-20-2016, 07:20 AM
Agree with most of this, Starks is pretty good out of the backfield as a receiver so I wouldn't say they need a smaller RB to aid in the passing game.

I too think Starks is ok out of the backfield. But I'm referring to a guy that can create mismatches so if our WR's get hurt you can plug him and the defense will have to be worried.....guys like Sproles/Deon Lewis...and the emerging James White are examples. When all of NE's WR's were out they were very smart to draft those guys and thankful they had Deon Lewis and White....who LB's could not cover and safeties were sometimes challenged..to pick up the load

Maxie the Taxi
01-20-2016, 07:23 AM
You know, I kept forgetting to ask about this. My memory was that Starks was known for having poor hands - I distinctly remember that being the case, and him dropping passes all the time. Now he's known as their best pass-catching back? Crazy.Maybe because all the others are much worse. LOL

Not dropping a screen pass is one thing. Running routes with speed and precision, snaring passes at the sideline or in front of the LB's and becoming a real weapon ala David Johnson with Arizona is something else again. IMO that's what the Packers need badly. (Remember Dorsey Levens? There was a RB with WR hands and route running ability.)

Deputy Nutz
01-20-2016, 07:48 AM
I too think Starks is ok out of the backfield. But I'm referring to a guy that can create mismatches so if our WR's get hurt you can plug him and the defense will have to be worried.....guys like Sproles/Deon Lewis...and the emerging James White are examples. When all of NE's WR's were out they were very smart to draft those guys and thankful they had Deon Lewis and White....who LB's could not cover and safeties were sometimes challenged..to pick up the load

Interesting, Its kind of a throw back to the late 80s to mid 90s where running backs were capable of running routes as a split end or in the slot. Thurman Thomas was the all time best for the Buffalo Bills. I always wondered why teams stopped doing this. The Packers under Holmgren expected their running backs to double as receivers.

Joemailman
01-21-2016, 07:52 PM
Aaron Rodgers has pulled out of the Pro Bowl and gave injury as a reason. I figured he was just using it as an excuse because he didn't want to play in the Pro Bowl. But Jason Wilde said he has talked to someone inside 1265 who says Rodgers has a legitimate injury. That would raise some questions:

Was Rodgers' reduced accuracy this year due to an injury?

Do the injury reports mean anything? He was listed on the injury report in November, but I don't think he had been lately.

Can he stay healthy for a whole season? This would be the 3rd year in a row that his play in the 2nd half of the season was affected by an injury.

pbmax
01-21-2016, 09:59 PM
Well, they lost their Assistant Line Coach: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/21/mike-solari-to-join-giants-as-offensive-line-coach/

Solari is the new line coach for the Giants.

Patler
01-22-2016, 02:17 AM
Well, they lost their Assistant Line Coach: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/21/mike-solari-to-join-giants-as-offensive-line-coach/

Solari is the new line coach for the Giants.

It never seemed like he would be here long. Supposedly he turned down an offer from someone last year to be line coach, and decided to go to GB as an assistant instead. Seemed odd to me, and temporary at best. He has had positions as OL coach, TE coach and OC for 30 years.

Patler
01-22-2016, 02:21 AM
I wonder if the Packers are one of the two other teams besides the Vikings who are interested in Pat Shurmur (Fritz Shurmur's nephew).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/21/report-pat-shurmur-interviewing-with-vikings/

pbmax
01-22-2016, 07:02 AM
I'm not sure I understand all the Pat Shurmur enthusiasm. He was not hugely successful as a coordinator. His best times were as TE and QB coach, having a hand in Donovan McNabb, Sam Bradford and Chad Lewis (Pro Bow TE).

You do get WCO with the Andy Reid connection, and nobody completes short passes for long drives (and then FGs) like Andy Reid's team.

On the other hand, the Packers clock management would get worse by osmosis.

Deputy Nutz
01-22-2016, 07:34 AM
Aaron Rodgers has pulled out of the Pro Bowl and gave injury as a reason. I figured he was just using it as an excuse because he didn't want to play in the Pro Bowl. But Jason Wilde said he has talked to someone inside 1265 who says Rodgers has a legitimate injury. That would raise some questions:

Do the injury reports mean anything? He was listed on the injury report in November, but I don't think he had been lately.

Can he stay healthy for a whole season? This would be the 3rd year in a row that his play in the 2nd half of the season was affected by an injury.

Nobody in the NFL really stays healthy for the whole season.

Patler
01-22-2016, 10:21 AM
I'm not sure I understand all the Pat Shurmur enthusiasm.

Pedigree. That, and familiarity. The same reasons other coaches keep getting hired over and over.

Rutnstrut
01-22-2016, 11:39 AM

One of the things I have always disliked about Rodgers was his lack of durability. But he started every game this past season, you can't ask for much more than that. I'm sure he was a little banged up, every player is after a certain point in the season. I give him credit for toughing it out, even if it made him play worse.

smuggler
01-22-2016, 11:59 AM
It does for me.

Lol Nutz would much prefer more picks. Magical logic.

Deputy Nutz
01-22-2016, 01:13 PM
Lol Nutz would much prefer more picks. Magical logic.

More picks from Rodgers? Absolutely!!!

Really How insanely irritated must you all be that Rodgers would rather skip a fourth down pass into Jones than putting some mustard on it and trying to get it by the defender? ITS FOURTH FUCKING DOWN!!!

mraynrand
01-22-2016, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure I understand all the Pat Shurmur enthusiasm.

Sacrilege!! You always were the mean uncle!

http://packerrats.com/image.php?u=177&dateline=1391561000

Deputy Nutz
01-22-2016, 01:16 PM
IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

mraynrand
01-22-2016, 01:16 PM

Really How insanely irritated must you all be that Rodgers would rather skip a fourth down pass into Jones than putting some mustard on it and trying to get it by the defender? ITS FOURTH FUCKING DOWN!!!

a pick six ends the game, doesn't it?

smuggler
01-22-2016, 01:49 PM

Shh. Don't worry about those silly details. Focus on RISKS!!1

Deputy Nutz
01-22-2016, 08:28 PM
You're right, there is always worse

ThunderDan
01-23-2016, 09:22 AM

I agree with this. At that point in the game it sure seemed like an incompletion would have the same result as a INT.

But to show that we would both be wrong, after the incompletion the Packers were still able to tie the game and take it to OT no matter how unlikely.

woodbuck27
01-23-2016, 04:18 PM

ARod looks a tad weak sometimes.

His mind and arm don't connect.

He made some wanna be throws this season that looked as weak as an Elemetry School Girls first attempts to throw a football. :laugh:

I mean ...........sick throws in the suuulllltchhh category. You know "did that really happen? Did I really see that muff?"

It looks to me seriously like NO SEX. He's a frustrated .................................................. ....person

Then give him something like 50-65 yards to hit with the BOMB and he's totally out of this planet strong.

Right ...On... THE ... MONEY.

It's confusing....?? :whaa:

Fritz
01-25-2016, 05:58 AM
Where does this team go from here?

They get healthy in the offseason. They draft about nine or ten guys. We all get excited around OTA's for that undrafted free agent who makes every play.

July comes around, and we go through another season. We hope the team stays healthier this time. We hope they catch a few breaks. We hope it's a tough team that plays through adversity.

Team goes to the playoffs. Then it's a crapshoot.