PDA

View Full Version : Football Player Move-In Service

oregonpackfan
09-03-2006, 01:24 AM
My wife and I just got back from taking our daughter for her freshman year at Pacific Lutheran University. It is a Division III school of 3,600 students located in Tacoma, WA.

In order to load all of her stuff, I had to remove 3 seats from our minivan. She had a trunk, 5 suitcases, several loaded cardboard boxes, AND a mini-refrigerator!

She wouln't believe my freshman move-in story. When I came to Marquette University many years ago, I arrived at the Milwaukee Greyhound Bus Station carrying just 1 trunk!

After going to the registration desk in mid-campus, I was still worried on how I was going to cart that refrigerator to my daughter's dorm room.

Upon driving my daughter's dorm, I saw half a dozen, PLU football players in their jerseys greeting the parents and their freshmen students. In a Public Relations move, the football coach ordered his players to each of the dorms to help the freshmen carry their bags up to their rooms.

Three of the players broke off and came up to my minivan and offered to help. I chose the biggest one(he turned out to be the team's left tackle) and said, "Hey, 73, I've got the perfect workout program for you!" and pointed out the refrigerator to him. Upon hearing my daughter's room number, he easily picked it up and ambled off. I assigned boxes/suitcases to the other two players.

Though it is a Division III school, PLU is in the competitive Northwest League, which includes Linfield College of McMinnville, OR. Linfield won the NCAA Division III football Championship last year.

Despite carrying the refrigerator 30 yards to the front door, going up two flights of stairs, and lugging it to the far end of the dorm, #73 reappeared in a few minutes and joked, "You call that a workout? What else have you got?"

As I loaded him down with several more suitcases, I could only shake my head with admiration. If I had tried to carry that refrigerator to my daughter's room, I'd be popping Advil for a week!

I arrived later in my daughter's room having carried just my daughter's laptop. My daughter and her roommate had decided they wanted to take their two twin beds and make bunkbeds to create more space.

The father of my daughter's roommate and I took a quick look at the beds. They were sturdily contructed of heavy maple wood frames with inlaid steel bracketing. Then we took a quick look at each other and marched to the hallway.

#73 was nowhere to be seen but we saw two more 0-linemen-sized players and shouted, "Hey guys, could we get a little help here?"

The two players marched right in, deftly picked up one of the heavy framed beds and lifted it into place over the other. We dads did the "important" task of fitting in the connecting pieces. The other dad and I were quite smug with outselves. Not only had we saved our lower back muscles, we were able to embarrass our teen-aged daughters one last time!

Did the PLU football team win my support? You better believe it! I'll be there for the Homecoming game as well as the game during Family weekend cheering on the team and giving #73 a special cheer!

OPF

Tarlam!
09-03-2006, 07:43 AM
Great story. Enjoyed the read!

MJZiggy
09-03-2006, 08:08 AM
OPF, you always come up with the best adventures! How's the nest feeling?

test
09-03-2006, 08:16 AM
outstanding. I hope you contact the athletic director and give the coach and players kudos.

BallHawk
09-03-2006, 08:16 AM
Great story, for a second I thought I was reading Rick Reiley.

FavreChild
09-03-2006, 08:49 AM
That's awesome. Where I went for my undergraduate degree (also a D3 school), we had a similar move-in program, although it included a diverse cross-section of upperclassman (not just football players).

Parents and new students have so much to think about on move-in day. Anything the school can do to lighten their load (literally and figuratively) makes all the difference.

Good luck to your daughter in her first semester of school, OPF!

red
09-03-2006, 12:19 PM
good story

good way for the team to get some good PR

and a great way for the football players to check out the new crop of incoming freshman girls

lol

just thought i'd do my part to keep you up for a few sleepless nights oregon

Charles Woodson
09-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Always love your storys OPF, this one was no exception

GBRulz
09-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Great story.... I was waiting for the ending of "my daughter called and said #73 asked her out on a date already" :wink:

retailguy
09-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Great story, thanks for sharing it.

Partial
09-04-2006, 11:15 AM
That's awesome, OPF!

I wish I had the help yesterday!!! Man oh man do I pack a lot of stuff!!

Scott Campbell
09-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Could this be a clever scam to meet chicks?

justanotherpackfan
09-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Could this be a clever scam to meet chicks?
Yes.