PDA

View Full Version : Before everyone gets excited about potential moves this offseason

RonWolfGOAT
01-17-2016, 02:05 AM
-we will not sign any FAs (no Calvin Johnson, no Ladarius Green etc)
-we will nit fix the ILB position for the 5th yr in a row
-we will draft some fatties in the early rounds
-we will not fix our lack of speed on offense problem
-we will hear reports out of training camp that "jake ryan is looking more instinctive at ilb" and "backman is making strides." In an effort to make ourselves feel better about not signing FAs at ILB or TE, we will believe these reports
-Masthay, Capers, Van Pelt and Campen will be retained

Such is like when Tightwad is your GM.

11-5, second round playoff exit in 2016-17.

Joemailman
01-17-2016, 02:20 AM
Ted Thompson will still have as many Super Bowl wins as Ron Wolf.

RonWolfGOAT
01-17-2016, 02:23 AM

And one less appearance

smuggler
01-17-2016, 02:38 AM
Bloo hoo! WE DIDN'T WIN SOOPERBOUL!!! OUR TEAM IS HORBIBBBLE!! FIRE ALL! Go the fuck away.

Freak Out
01-17-2016, 03:02 AM

Didn't he get one with the Raiders? Maybe he had left for TB....

Striker
01-17-2016, 03:35 AM
-we will hear reports out of training camp that "jake ryan is looking more instinctive at ilb" and "backman is making strides." In an effort to make ourselves feel better about not signing FAs at ILB or TE, we will believe these reports

Well, we lost. So of course people like you come out of hiding.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-17-2016, 05:31 AM
So I have a slightly different view;

- we sign 1 FA, Im guessing DE to replace peppers, who is gone
- we actually make a draft day trade, either bodies or as a way to move up
- there are coaching changes, including one that is a surprise, but not MM
- eddie lacy is given an ultimatum, or an incentive laden raise based on him getting in better shape
- Masthay is replaced
- we pick up an unknown running back that turns out to be a pleasant surprise
- james jones is gone, montgomery, janis, aberderis and jordy become very solid
- we address ILB, I just have not figured out how yet

Joemailman
01-17-2016, 09:02 AM
And one less appearance

Your argument is a fart in the wind.

George Cumby
01-17-2016, 09:23 AM
Hey, at least Coldplay is playing at the SB Halftime show.

denverYooper
01-17-2016, 09:29 AM
The defense is finally built to the point where it should be formidable for the next 3 years. It won't be a coincidence that the Rodgers Packers will make another few serious runs, ARPH.

A high-end ILB or TE would be nice additions.

I imagine they'll bring in competition for Masthay and he is not a lock at all.

pbmax
01-17-2016, 10:04 AM
I think there is a good chance either the TE or ILB happen in the draft. Just out of random chance as much as a plan. Thompson looks for talent and value and one of those will probably hit this year.

I wonder if Barrington and Ryan are viable in the middle? Would love to play Matthews everywhere.

Smidgeon
01-18-2016, 04:03 AM
Let's not forget that Barrington returns next year. If we want, we have Ryan and Barrington as ILBs next year and Matthews back outside. Not world burners, but still, not Hawk and Jones either.

woodbuck27
01-18-2016, 07:32 AM
Hey, at least Coldplay is playing at the SB Halftime show.

:-|

woodbuck27
01-18-2016, 07:34 AM
So I have a slightly different view;

- we sign 1 FA, Im guessing DE to replace peppers, who is gone
- we actually make a draft day trade, either bodies or as a way to move up
- there are coaching changes, including one that is a surprise, but not MM
- eddie lacy is given an ultimatum, or an incentive laden raise based on him getting in better shape
- Masthay is replaced
- we pick up an unknown running back that turns out to be a pleasant surprise
- james jones is gone, montgomery, janis, aberderis and jordy become very solid
- we address ILB, I just have not figured out how yet

Not bad....Repped.

woodbuck27
01-18-2016, 07:37 AM
Let's not forget that Barrington returns next year. If we want, we have Ryan and Barrington as ILBs next year and Matthews back outside. Not world burners, but still, not Hawk and Jones either.

Yes so TT can focus his .......'quality options' ........... on other positions where the need is....greater.

PACKERS !

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2016, 07:56 AM
Smidgeon and pbmax, what do you guys think of this idea: Tanner McEvoy at ILB...

CBS had him listed as a FS until a few days ago. I don't know how CBS makes such decisions. They might get player/agent feedback. It might just be an error.

I've watched film of McEvoy at FS and QB. He does cover the field. He also seems to be a hard hitter and fearless. Of course, at QB he showed he is a good runner who can juke defenders at full speed.

Even before CBS re-categorized him, the thought occurred to me that he could help the Packers at TE. Then a wilder idea: could he help the Packers at ILB? McEvoy is 6'6" 231 lbs., a few pounds lighter than Nate Palmer but bigger than Joe Thomas. The trend in the NFL seems to be to have one ILB be a lighter, faster, hard-hitting over-sized safety (6'1" 208 lb. Deone Bucannon with the Cards, 6'3" 223 lb. Telvin Smith with the Jags).

The theory is this type of hybrid ILB can better cover the new breed of fast TE's and pass receiving RB's. I think having a guy who's 6'6", who can make plays sideline to sideline, who is a fearless tackler and who can easily run with a TE or drop back into coverage would present a real problem for opposing offenses.

The best part is you draft him on the 3rd day, not having to use a high draft choice on a traditional ILB. So you team McEvoy with Barrington (or Ryan) at ILB. Clay goes back to OLB.

mraynrand
01-18-2016, 08:14 AM

Thinking little more about this post, i really appreciate it. Now I can skip the entire season and all the time I waste on posting, anticipation, ticket purchases, etc.

All I ask is that you make a similar post next year so I can save time by avoiding the 2017 season then too. Thanks.

ThunderDan
01-18-2016, 08:39 AM
Smidgeon and pbmax, what do you guys think of this idea: Tanner McEvoy at ILB...

No, no, no.

He is too tall and not big enough to play ILB. He would be broken. I watched every Badger game this year. McEvoy's positives are in pass coverage. He is not a great tackler.

He will have a chance to play safety in the NFL but I think even there he may wash out. I think the other position he might get a look at is WR by some teams.

George Cumby
01-18-2016, 08:39 AM
He's a Saint, really. Who's the patron saint of time saving efficiency?

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2016, 08:54 AM
No, no, no.

He is too tall and not big enough to play ILB. He would be broken. I watched every Badger game this year. McEvoy's positives are in pass coverage. He is not a great tackler.

He will have a chance to play safety in the NFL but I think even there he may wash out. I think the other position he might get a look at is WR by some teams. What about TE? Any possibilities there?

ThunderDan
01-18-2016, 08:57 AM
What about TE? Any possibilities there?

He would need to change his body type. He is too lean. The problem is, would putting the weight on make him lose his speed?

mraynrand
01-18-2016, 09:02 AM
He would need to change his body type. He is too lean. The problem is, would putting the weight on make him lose his speed?

Who wants to see a fat greyhound?

http://i.imgur.com/NxDipre.jpg

mraynrand
01-18-2016, 09:02 AM
What about TE? Any possibilities there?

We already have the Fat man (Perillo). Don't need another...

mraynrand
01-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Who wants to see a fat greyhound?

http://i.imgur.com/NxDipre.jpg

(maybe Guiness)

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2016, 09:06 AM
He would need to change his body type. He is too lean. The problem is, would putting the weight on make him lose his speed?Not necessarily. I wouldn't regard McEvoy as the every down TE, just maybe passing situations mainly. Besides, several of the TE prospects on CBS draft site are McEvoy's size and weight.

ThunderDan
01-18-2016, 09:12 AM
Not necessarily. I wouldn't regard McEvoy as the every down TE, just maybe passing situations mainly. Besides, several of the TE prospects on CBS draft site are McEvoy's size and weight.

Height and weight aren't the same as body type.

The only way McEvoy could be a situational TE is of he was a special teams stud. The NFL doesn't have room for guys who can only help in one limited role. This is the problem that James Jones is going to have next year. He could be a #4 or 5 WR behind Nelson, Cobb, Monty and Admas but if he is competing for a spot against Abby and Janis, and they are returning kicks and punts and playing ST, Jones is gone.

woodbuck27
01-18-2016, 09:14 AM

Your pessimism....

Is it going to impress the membership here in terms of any alteration in their belief system?

I sincerely doubt that will be the case, and all the same:

Is your stance based in certain observation.;...... a decent prediction?

Time will tell us.............................................if that's the case. :huh:

Thanks for your feelings and expressing them here.

I personally and sincerely.....have hope....that you'll enjoy some pleasant surprizes and Green Bay Packers over the course of this long Off Season.

There does exist a certain element of LIFE....... and change and little miracles.

Here's a constant FOR YOU:

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !!

pbmax
01-18-2016, 09:26 AM
No, no, no.

He will have a chance to play safety in the NFL but I think even there he may wash out. I think the other position he might get a look at is WR by some teams.

Yeah, its a stretch. However, if he ever gets a handle on the contact/tackling part of safety, I would love him to be the hybrid S/ILB that the Cards like to use. But his height might make it tough to fight in the interior.

His best fit is as big receiver to whom you could hand off.

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2016, 10:15 AM

The only way McEvoy could be a situational TE is of he was a special teams stud. The NFL doesn't have room for guys who can only help in one limited role. This is the problem that James Jones is going to have next year. He could be a #4 or 5 WR behind Nelson, Cobb, Monty and Admas but if he is competing for a spot against Abby and Janis, and they are returning kicks and punts and playing ST, Jones is gone.Maybe Jones can play TE?:-)

Fritz
01-18-2016, 11:06 AM
I'm not a big Jake Ryan fan - too slow - and Barrington's not too fast, either. I think they really need a good, fast ILB

woodbuck27
01-18-2016, 11:19 AM
I'm not a big Jake Ryan fan - too slow - and Barrington's not too fast, either. I think they really need a good, fast ILB

Again............ in another Off Season.

We almost beg for TT to get that Special ILBish prospect we realize clearly here that's a major need for the BEST and a stronger Packer 'D'.

ThunderDan
01-18-2016, 11:23 AM

And those are usually gone by the Top 15 picks of the draft if not Top 10.

Rutnstrut
01-18-2016, 11:24 AM
With TT at the helm, the offseason is the hardest time to be a Packer fan.

mission
01-18-2016, 11:25 AM
I want Ragland from Bama in GnG next year.

Bossman641
01-18-2016, 11:26 AM
With TT at the helm, the offseason is the hardest time to be a Packer fan.

I'll agree with that. Even knowing what's coming (or more specifically what's not coming), it's a tough time.

Guiness
01-18-2016, 11:31 AM
(maybe Guiness)

That's a whippet!

woodbuck27
01-18-2016, 11:48 AM
That's a whippet!

Brings to mind this Classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_QLzthSkfM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devo

HAPPY NEW YEAR Guiness !

GO PACKERS !

mraynrand
01-18-2016, 12:01 PM
That's a whippet!

shows what happens when you gain a lot of weight. Only the experts can recognize your corpse. Hear that, Eddie?

Pugger
01-18-2016, 12:16 PM

You seem pretty certain Ted will ignore the ILB position. Last year he addressed the secondary because he suspected Tramon and House were gonna be gone. What is wrong with taking fatties early? Good ones don't grow on trees. You may not have been here but people were calling for Ted to draft an O tackle for weeks now. With how Tretter played tackle might not be the pressing need now. FA is vastly different today than it was when Wolf was running the show. These changes were the main reason why he retired.

Pugger
01-18-2016, 12:19 PM

Or how about him at TE?

Pugger
01-18-2016, 12:21 PM

The only way McEvoy could be a situational TE is of he was a special teams stud. The NFL doesn't have room for guys who can only help in one limited role. This is the problem that James Jones is going to have next year. He could be a #4 or 5 WR behind Nelson, Cobb, Monty and Admas but if he is competing for a spot against Abby and Janis, and they are returning kicks and punts and playing ST, Jones is gone.

But he might not be a bad kid to bring in as an UDFA for a look-see. I don't know if he'll be drafted.

Pugger
01-18-2016, 12:23 PM
And those are usually gone by the Top 15 picks of the draft if not Top 10.

This is the rub with having the success we have. It makes finding gems that much harder in the draft and if you look at it that way Ted has a knack for finding kids like this. Not many here were overly thrilled with the Randall pick but we seem to love his potential now.

Joemailman
01-18-2016, 12:44 PM
But he might not be a bad kid to bring in as an UDFA for a look-see. I don't know if he'll be drafted.

It will be interesting to see how McEvoy does at the Combine. He'll probably run a fast 40, but I wonder how he'll do in the agility drills with those long legs.