PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy - angry or frustrated?

Patler
01-19-2016, 07:45 AM
It really is unusual for him to criticize individuals specifically in the press at anytime, in season or off season. Yet, at his press conference yesterday he clearly:

- called out Lacy for conditioning. He criticized his off season work from last year and his ability to "catch up" during the season. Essentially gave him an ultimatum, get in condition or you won't play.

- called out Adams and R. Rodgers for not stepping up. Implied that their roles will be reevaluated by repeated off season film reviews to minimize emotion.

- without naming them, called out the offensive coaching staff, perhaps mostly Bennett, for the game plans and for not scheming help for the backup tackles. (I think Bennett is on the hot seat, because MM said it wasn't about Clements, and that Clements was a valued assistant who has been there from the start, one who he expected to be there next year. Didn't mention Bennett by name, but said their "staff structure" was being evaluated. Bennett might see a demotion, perhaps not in title but in responsibility.)

- put the blame on Janis' lackluster training camp for not playing him more, but complimented his effort on STs.

This was a different Mike McCarthy. Clearly he was dissatisfied with players and staff.

He affirmed something I argued earlier this year. Players roles are determined coming out of TC, and it is difficult for those to change during the season. Thus, he stuck with the significantly under-performing Adams for the season, and gave Janis no opportunity until forced to do so. Perhaps a take-away from this season for MM should be to be more objective, more flexible and more aggressive with in season changes to give backup players the opportunities to prove themselves on the field.

Maxie the Taxi
01-19-2016, 07:49 AM
^In other words, Stubby should change his DNA. Yeah, right.

Seriously, Patler, I agree with you, but guys like Stubby are like leopards and spots...

pbmax
01-19-2016, 08:23 AM
The last part, roles defined by training camp, seems unnecessarily severe. Its a sound basis to start with, to reward good work and tape, it can't overwrite work done during the season and the games. It also gave us Boykin. Kinda odd for a draft and develop situation, but perhaps its how you keep the younger players working.

I did not get the sense that he was blaming Bennett. He clearly wants to absolve Clements of personal failings as play caller. I thought his critique of the offensive staff not helping players out was largely a self-criticism as he has mentioned that in the past about the tackles. Perhaps even he thought they should help earlier and didn't, but as HC that seems to fall to him to insist on. Its only your QB after all.

He was asked about the young players and RichRod and Adams specifically. Not sure that qualifies as being called out (not like he did Lacy). He basically said his impression now is that they did not jump enough in their second year. But that those initial reactions are ranked and then they do a compete film review. They then re-rank all players to take the emotion and last impressions away.

Deputy Nutz
01-19-2016, 08:58 AM
I didn't think McCarthy attacked his coaching staff. I think he tried to do a very unique structure with his staff this year and it didn't work on the surface. Bennett is not a typical offensive coordinator and Clements was. I think Bennett has been a great coach in technique and individual scheme but I don't think he is ready for the big picture organization of the offense, or if he is then he doesn't need to get clearance from both McCarthy and Clements. Either move Bennett back to receivers coach, Van Pelt back to QB coach, and Clement back to OC, or remove Clements from the coaching tree.

Bennett has also been with McCarthy from the start. I really don't see any members of this coaching staff being let go.

mraynrand
01-19-2016, 09:03 AM
Richard Rodgers needs to lose about 20-30 pounds from those saddlebags; it's like a sea anchor. His thighs looks wider and flabbier than Mariah Carey's.

I wonder about Adam's mental state. Guy was called on after Nelson, seemed willing, said all the right things, then got the ankle thing. He never really recovered. Maybe it was just too much for him in his second year.

mraynrand
01-19-2016, 09:06 AM
I didn't think McCarthy attacked his coaching staff. I think he tried to do a very unique structure with his staff this year and it didn't work on the surface. Bennett is not a typical offensive coordinator and Clements was. I think Bennett has been a great coach in technique and individual scheme but I don't think he is ready for the big picture organization of the offense, or if he is then he doesn't need to get clearance from both McCarthy and Clements. Either move Bennett back to receivers coach, Van Pelt back to QB coach, and Clement back to OC, or remove Clements from the coaching tree.

Bennett has also been with McCarthy from the start. I really don't see any members of this coaching staff being let go.

Clements is 62, and his best work has been as QB coach. I say put him back there with the assistant coach title, and either coach up Bennett to be the permanent OC, or let him go and bring in someone from outside or (a big possibly disruptive stretch: move up Solaris).

MadScientist
01-19-2016, 09:08 AM
MM's an offense minded coach, and the offense was crap for most of the year. He's pissed and frustrated. Lacy took his role for granted and turned into a fat tub of goo. R.Rodgers and Adams were supposed to step up and have big years, and neither did. They are probably a sizable part of the red zone failures this year.

As for locked into rolls after TC, its more that there is very limited prep time for each game. You have to get your starters ready to play, so they get the most reps. There can, and because of injuries has to be, adjustments during the year. In an offense like this, reps are critical to being on the same page with AR. There just isn't the practice time available to get a 4th, 5th or 6th string fully up to speed.

That said, when those backups are thrust into the mix, there should be some subset of the plays that they are actually ready to handle, and those plays are the ones that should be featured, until they can learn more.

Deputy Nutz
01-19-2016, 09:09 AM
Richard Rodgers needs to lose about 20-30 pounds from those saddlebags; it's like a sea anchor. His thighs looks wider and flabbier than Mariah Carey's.

I wonder about Adam's mental state. Guy was called on after Nelson, seemed willing, said all the right things, then got the ankle thing. He never really recovered. Maybe it was just too much for him in his second year.

Funny I almost said the same thing about Adams in another thread two seconds ago. Rodgers is fat and can't block. So really he is kind of worthless for this offense in his current state.

mraynrand
01-19-2016, 09:09 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/btfv0.gif

Maxie the Taxi
01-19-2016, 09:25 AM
MM's an offense minded coach, and the offense was crap for most of the year. He's pissed and frustrated. Lacy took his role for granted and turned into a fat tub of goo. R.Rodgers and Adams were supposed to step up and have big years, and neither did. They are probably a sizable part of the red zone failures this year.

As for locked into rolls after TC, its more that there is very limited prep time for each game. You have to get your starters ready to play, so they get the most reps. There can, and because of injuries has to be, adjustments during the year. In an offense like this, reps are critical to being on the same page with AR. There just isn't the practice time available to get a 4th, 5th or 6th string fully up to speed.

That said, when those backups are thrust into the mix, there should be some subset of the plays that they are actually ready to handle, and those plays are the ones that should be featured, until they can learn more.Exactly.

I was so tired of hearing during the season that Janis isn't playing because he wasn't getting to where Arod thought he should be. Well, damn! There are only two people involved in this equation. If Janis can't or won't get to a spot, play as if you don't expect him to. He's all you got. Deal with it.

call_me_ishmael
01-19-2016, 09:50 AM
I have a hunch Mr. Rodgers is going to be a weight loss plan this off-season too. Anyone think he is bigger this year? I don't remember to be honest.

Good read on topic:
http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_23885989/cal-football-richard-rodgers-gains-position-after-losing

Richard Rodgers said goodbye to Red Vines and hello to a new position.

"I told him you will not play a down if you don't (lose weight) because you're slow and fat and out of shape and you can't play," Cal offensive coordinator Tony Franklin said of Rodgers. "He wants to play."

So Rodgers, who played tight end for the Bears last season, dropped 33 pounds to find a home in an offense that doesn't typically feature his position.

After ballooning to 278 in the offseason while recovering from shoulder and foot injuries, Rodgers cut out his biggest dietary vice. "I have a big sweet tooth. I like Red Vines a lot," he said. "That was my problem."

If I had to guess, he seems bigger than this now.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/492454963-richard-rodgers-of-the-green-bay-packers-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXmkOwCM9E%2BjSBBhy2Srg0EXETb 9Z96iN%2F%2BqedOU3tkG2mcxAALBW%2BOIOArwjm5UqLA%3D% 3D

Patler
01-19-2016, 10:31 AM

Ya, I don't think he will fire anyone either, mostly because everything was fine in 2014 offensively, MM stirred the pot and things went to heck in 2015. MM must feel responsible for that, and won't in good conscience fire anyone for it. But, I think EB is the one who might lose responsibilities in resetting the structure.

I mentioned earlier in the year that all MM really needs to do is get creative with job titles so everyone can save face while he gets back to what was working prior to this season. For example, he could set it up like this:

Clements, "Asst H.C. and Passing Game";
Bennett, "Offensive Coordinator and Running Game"
Van Pelt, "QB and Red Zone" (or some other meaningless title)
new "WR "coach,

or,

Clements,"Asst H.C./Game Planning
Bennett, "O.C. & WRs"
Van Pelt, "QB & Red Zone" etc.
No new coach is needed

Other teams have used heads of passing game, running game and red zone before. Sort of like naming half the bank personnel "vice president".

Deputy Nutz
01-19-2016, 10:41 AM
I think part of the problem is that Bennett is the OC and reporting to both McCarthy and Clements. I like your first solution that way responsibility is divided and everyone reports to McCarthy.

Patler
01-19-2016, 10:54 AM
I think part of the problem is that Bennett is the OC and reporting to both McCarthy and Clements. I like your first solution that way responsibility is divided and everyone reports to McCarthy.

Agreed. In retrospect you have to ask yourself how that could ever work? If he wanted to give Clements the play calling responsibility, why not just leave him as OC? Did they need to promote Bennett to keep him? I don't remember if there was talk about EB going elsewhere or not.

I wonder how many coaching changes McAdoo will make. I could see him going after Clements, Bennett or Van Pelt for an OC type position. If one were to leave, McCarthy's restructuring becomes easier, especially if Clements or Bennett leaves.

3irty1
01-19-2016, 11:15 AM
I agree that McCarthy has always seemed resistant to changing the roles set in August. There are dozens of examples of commitments to people that seem downright stubborn to us as fans. I think most likely this is an effort to maximize competition in the off season and training camp. His commitments make a real incentive to stand out in August. If he were more objective week to week he might get the best players on the field sooner but in doing so might compromise the mechanism that creates backups capable of competing with starters in the first place.

He's right to be frustrated with Lacy. A professional athlete who doesn't hit their weight mark is inexcusable. Especially when it renders them so useless that they can't even play their way into shape. Coming in too light is even worse given the weight these guys tend to lose over a season and I'll look for Datone Jones to make his weight finally this year. He had a decent season anyways but they'll need him to do even more soon. As for Dickrod, I don't think he missed his weight mark, I think he was just given poor direction. Its pretty ambiguous what his ideal playing weight should be and with this season's data point I think they'll have him on track soon. Dickrod did fine this year anyways. The issue isn't that he's not reaching his potential, it's that he doesn't have much potential.

Adams is a mystery. I expect the ankle is a big component of his regression after so much hype by everyone who'd seen him. Jury is still out on Adams. He might get his ankle scraped out and dazzle us next season although hopefully we're not depending on it again.

I can only imagine MM's frustration because the offense was trash, but even still the causes are undiagnosed. The guys you can definitely say had down years like Lacy and Adams can't explain it all. The whole season can be characterized by the sorts of passes that are just out of reach such that a little more form either the QB or WR would have meant a completion, passes thrown to empty swaths of the field we can only explain as miscommunication, or disrupted timing routes which leave Rodgers with the ball in his hands and nowhere to go.

ThunderDan
01-19-2016, 11:27 AM

Even with that, he had 58 catches and 8 TDs in the regular season.

Patler
01-19-2016, 12:16 PM

Nice totals there, but only 510 yards, 8.8 yard per reception. Without the Hail Mary, it was 7.9 yards/rec.
A strange year. More receptions than Finley ever had other than 2012 when he had 61, More TDs than Finley other than his 8 TDs in 2011.
Just no yards.

mraynrand
01-19-2016, 12:17 PM
As for Dickrod, I don't think he missed his weight mark, I think he was just given poor direction. Its pretty ambiguous what his ideal playing weight should be and with this season's data point I think they'll have him on track soon. Dickrod did fine this year anyways. The issue isn't that he's not reaching his potential, it's that he doesn't have much potential.

I kinda disagree on both. I think he hasn't reached his potential for two reasons - 1) It's the same problem from college - is he a blocking TE or a receiving TE and how much should he have on his frame to execute either assignment? The Packers need to make up their minds. I would go with primarily receiving and let someone else do the blocking. 2) Utilization. Once Rodgers sculpts his body into a receiver, I think he has a higher ceiling, but the Packers will actually have to use him where he is most effective. And that's right up the middle with passes thrown higher, not lowballs like A. Rodgers seems to like to minimize risk and no more tosses in the flat behind the line of scrimmage (unless it's a screen and even then, fewer). Dude has great hands and with a faster frame, he can open up the middle a bit. His ceiling is Jackie Harris, not Gronk or Keith Jackson. Don't ask him to block like Chmura and you'll be OK. And if Perillo is the better blocker, well then you can just keep encouraging him to stock up on beer and brats at the ballpark in the offseason.

esoxx
01-19-2016, 12:18 PM
Wonder if Rodgers improved upon his 1.6 YAC from the 2014-15 season.

Patler
01-19-2016, 12:42 PM
Dude has great hands and with a faster frame, he can open up the middle a bit. His ceiling is Jackie Harris, not Gronk or Keith Jackson. Don't ask him to block like Chmura and you'll be OK. And if Perillo is the better blocker, well then you can just keep encouraging him to stock up on beer and brats at the ballpark in the offseason.

Jackie Harris? I remember Harris having speed and quickness I can't imagine Rodgers ever having. At times, Harris seemed to lack passion. I always felt he had potential that was never achieved. There was a time I thought he could be a great one.

Patler
01-19-2016, 12:53 PM
Wonder if Rodgers improved upon his 1.6 YAC from the 2014-15 season.

According to this site:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receptions/seasontype/2/league/nfc/qualified/false

he had 224 YAC!
Of course, if you catch a pass 3 yards behind the LOS, and turn it into a 1 yard gain, that's 4 YAC.

Bossman641
01-19-2016, 01:29 PM
Here's the thing I don't get on Lacy. I can understand coming into camp overweight, although I think it's inexcusable. However, 5 months later how have you still not played yourself into shape?!

Patler
01-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Here's the thing I don't get on Lacy. I can understand coming into camp overweight, although I think it's inexcusable. However, 5 months later how have you still not played yourself into shape?!

Play yourself into shape doing what? Not practices. Most of those are meetings and walk-thoughs. Nothing of a conditioning slant. Games? Nothing there. Carry the ball three times and you get switched out for a "fresh" back. On his own, during his free time? Not with a video game addiction.

I figure next year he will show up for camp and be switched to guard, maybe DL to replace Raji. :)

3irty1
01-19-2016, 02:24 PM
I kinda disagree on both. I think he hasn't reached his potential for two reasons - 1) It's the same problem from college - is he a blocking TE or a receiving TE and how much should he have on his frame to execute either assignment? The Packers need to make up their minds. I would go with primarily receiving and let someone else do the blocking. 2) Utilization. Once Rodgers sculpts his body into a receiver, I think he has a higher ceiling, but the Packers will actually have to use him where he is most effective. And that's right up the middle with passes thrown higher, not lowballs like A. Rodgers seems to like to minimize risk and no more tosses in the flat behind the line of scrimmage (unless it's a screen and even then, fewer). Dude has great hands and with a faster frame, he can open up the middle a bit. His ceiling is Jackie Harris, not Gronk or Keith Jackson. Don't ask him to block like Chmura and you'll be OK. And if Perillo is the better blocker, well then you can just keep encouraging him to stock up on beer and brats at the ballpark in the offseason.

To call yourself a TE you've got to be at least a threat to block as an inline player. Even if he sells out as a receiver he's just not going to be a speed mismatch for a linebacker or size mismatch for a safety. His unrealized potential is as a blocker IMO. I don't think he'll ever be a crushing block as an inline blocker but he needs to find the magic weight and technique were he can hold up a little inline as a pass blocker while continuing to be really effective run blocking at the 2nd level which he secretly is. This is especially true if he's going to spend much of his career run-blocking for Eddie and pass-blocking for Aaron in those singleback formations.

I'd say Dickrod's ceiling is about Owen Daniels. A pedestrian overall talent but a moneyballer--he's played for three different teams all coached by Gary Kubiak. I think you're right that players like that need exactly the right utilization to be starters but in the right fit they'll always earn their check.

esoxx
01-19-2016, 03:14 PM

Rodgers couldn't hold Harris' jock. Nor would he probably want to.

mraynrand
01-19-2016, 03:29 PM
Rodgers couldn't hold Harris' jock. Nor would he probably want to.

Other than yards/catch, his second year compares favorably with Harris's best year with GB. The Yards/catch factor in the way the Packers have used him in the offense (those passes to the flat don't increase his average). Harris never had more than 4 TDs in a year.

I don't think the difference is a great as you suggest. I also think Rodgers has a lot of room to improve. He could flounder and never develop, but I don't think he has his NFL body yet.

His career trajectory is looking a lot like Greg Olsen right now. Whether he gets as good is an open question, but I still think it's possible.

Bossman641
01-19-2016, 03:54 PM
I'd love if DickRod took after Olsen but Olsen ran a 4.51 coming out and DickRod a 4.87. Rodgers doesn't need to be a burner but he does need to drop weight and change his body.

Smidgeon
01-19-2016, 04:08 PM
McCarthy upset with running backs coach. Sam Gash has been fired.

woodbuck27
01-19-2016, 05:08 PM

That said, when those backups are thrust into the mix, there should be some subset of the plays that they are actually ready to handle, and those plays are the ones that should be featured, until they can learn more.

" That said, when those backups are thrust into the mix, there should be some subset of the plays that they are actually ready to handle, and those plays are the ones that should be featured, until they can learn more." MadScientist

I hope this is being done. I assumed.......... it was.

Nice post. repped.

PACKERS !

denverYooper
01-19-2016, 05:47 PM
Other than yards/catch, his second year compares favorably with Harris's best year with GB. The Yards/catch factor in the way the Packers have used him in the offense (those passes to the flat don't increase his average). Harris never had more than 4 TDs in a year.

I don't think the difference is a great as you suggest. I also think Rodgers has a lot of room to improve. He could flounder and never develop, but I don't think he has his NFL body yet.

His career trajectory is looking a lot like Greg Olsen right now. Whether he gets as good is an open question, but I still think it's possible.

This sounds about right. He can change his body composition and pick up some speed, though he won't ever be a burner like Finley.

He might even become a better blocker with a focus on how his weight is apportioned. He doesn't need to look like an OT to be a good blocker.

Deputy Nutz
01-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Jackie Harris? I remember Harris having speed and quickness I can't imagine Rodgers ever having. At times, Harris seemed to lack passion. I always felt he had potential that was never achieved. There was a time I thought he could be a great one.

He should have stayed in GB instead of taking the money in Tampa. Favre would have made him a star like all TEs that played with #4

Deputy Nutz
01-19-2016, 10:39 PM
Agreed. In retrospect you have to ask yourself how that could ever work? If he wanted to give Clements the play calling responsibility, why not just leave him as OC? Did they need to promote Bennett to keep him? I don't remember if there was talk about EB going elsewhere or not.

I wonder how many coaching changes McAdoo will make. I could see him going after Clements, Bennett or Van Pelt for an OC type position. If one were to leave, McCarthy's restructuring becomes easier, especially if Clements or Bennett leaves.

I think McAdoo is going after the former Dolphins coach as his OC

woodbuck27
01-19-2016, 10:42 PM

That was the rumor last week.

Patler
01-20-2016, 02:25 AM

Philbin already signed with the Colts as O-line coach

Deputy Nutz
01-20-2016, 07:57 AM
Philbin already signed with the Colts as O-line coach

How the mighty have fallen

George Cumby
01-20-2016, 08:00 AM
I don't know if anyone ever described Philbin as "mighty". Mousey? Sure. Not Mighty.

Smidgeon
01-20-2016, 09:07 AM
I think Philbin also got assistant HC.

Fritz
01-20-2016, 10:21 AM
So will these firings open up a place for Edgar Bennett to land? Could he be the next RB coach? Or the TE coach?