PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 Quarterbacks To Play the Game (NFL/AFL)

Deputy Nutz
01-19-2016, 12:20 PM
This all started because I like to use sports statistics in my math classes. It keeps things interesting for the kids. My assistant and I got into a discussion about the top 5 greatest Qbs of all time and we had a differing of opinion. His list favored stats while mine favored wins and championships. So over the weekend I did some statistical analysis and I surprised myself. The Top 10 was not really all that difficult. The only argument was where to place these guys on the list, because to me they were all top ten players. 11-20 was much more difficult. The biggest challenge was the statistical anomalies throughout the last 80 years on QBs. Bart Starr was a well decorated QB in the 1960s but his stats cannot compare to those of the players 50 years later. If I were to rank running backs, it would fair much easier. I looked at several key stats, years played, completion %, TD/INT ratio, Yards per Attempt, Yards per Completion, yards per game, QB Rating, 4th quarter comebacks, game winning drives, regular season records, playoff records, rushing yards, rushing TDs, Yards per carry. Well here goes nothing.

Sonny Jurgensen 5 11' 202lbs
Eagles and Redskins
The only NFL Championship he won was when he was a back during his third year with the Eagles. Jurgensen had a prototypical throwing motion and delivery. He put good zip on the ball. He was a 5 time pro-bowler and a two time All Pro. He led the league 5 times in total passing yards and passing touchdowns twice. He was elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1983. An interesting stat was that Jurgensen led the NFL in pass attempts with 421 in 1969, the one and only year that Lombardi was his coach.

Jurgensen biggest failing was that he only went to the playoffs 4 times and never won a game as a starting QB.

Years Played: 18
Games Started:147
Regular Season Record: 69-73-7
Playoff Record: 0-3
Completion %: 57.1
Yards per Attempt: 7.6
Yards per Completion: 13.2
Yards per Game: 147
TD to INT ratio: 255/189
QB rating: 82.6
4th Quarter Comebacks: 18
Game Winning Drives: 14
Rushing Yards: 493
Yards per Carry: 2.7
Rushing TDs: 15

Up Next #19

Deputy Nutz
01-19-2016, 12:46 PM
Kurt Warner
Rams, Giants, Cardinals

Kurt Warner was a nobody from Iowa. He played for little known Northern Iowa. He was able to get a short stint in training camp with the Packers in 1994. He managed to make the roster for the St. Louis Rams in 1998 under famed coach Dick Vermeil. In 1999 The Rams signed Trent Green to be their starting QB, but he was injured in preseason, and the starting gig was given to Warner. Warner would go on to lead the Rams to victory in the Super Bowl that season running a high speed offense that saw Warner pass for 41 touchdown passes breaking Brett Favre's NFC record of 38. Warner would go on to win the league's MVP that season. Warner would earn 4 trips to the Pro Bowl, the 1999 MVP and the 2001 MVP from the AP. His career with the Rams diminished after their appearance in the 2001 Super Bowl and he eventually became the back up to Eli Manning in New York. a Year later he moved to Arizona and led the Cardinals to the Super Bowl in 2008. He retired after the 2009 season.

Years Played: : 12
Games Started:116
Regular Season Record: 67-49
Playoff Record: 9-4
Completion %: 65.5
Yards per Attempt: 7.9
Yards per Completion: 12.1
Yards per Game: 260
TD to INT ratio: 208-84
QB rating: 93.7
4th Quarter Comebacks: 9
Rushing Yards: 286
Yards per Carry: 1.7
Rushing TDs: 3

mraynrand
01-19-2016, 01:16 PM
Putting aside championships, Warren Moon and Dan Marino are the best pure QBs I've ever seen. Brady, Starr, Montana, Graham I would put at the top of the 'winners' category - guys who knew how to win games. Manning is in the technician class with Rodgers and Brees. Favre is in the gunslinger/playmaker/tough guy category with Steve Young, Ben Worthlessburger and yes, that little scrambling f-er from Minnesota.

more later...

Patler
01-19-2016, 01:55 PM
Where did Steve McNair go? I thought he was #19 an hour ago, or so.

mraynrand
01-19-2016, 01:56 PM

racist

Patler
01-19-2016, 02:06 PM
Putting aside championships, Warren Moon and Dan Marino are the best pure QBs I've ever seen. Brady, Starr, Montana, Graham I would put at the top of the 'winners' category - guys who knew how to win games. Manning is in the technician class with Rodgers and Brees. Favre is in the gunslinger/playmaker/tough guy category with Steve Young, Ben Worthlessburger and yes, that little scrambling f-er from Minnesota.

more later...

Marino was something, especially when you consider that he had no legs and could barely move in the pocket, let alone run or scramble out of trouble. Most years he had negative rushing yards. Magical arm, though. Just a blur when he threw. He would look like he was in trouble in the pocket, and all of a sudden the ball was on its way downfield, yet you barely saw him cock and throw, When he set the records, they were well beyond his contemporaries.

Deputy Nutz
01-19-2016, 03:06 PM
That's the problem with trying to make this list! After further inspection he wasn't qualified!

Deputy Nutz
01-19-2016, 03:08 PM
Marino was something, especially when you consider that he had no legs and could barely move in the pocket, let alone run or scramble out of trouble. Most years he had negative rushing yards. Magical arm, though. Just a blur when he threw. He would look like he was in trouble in the pocket, and all of a sudden the ball was on its way downfield, yet you barely saw him cock and throw, When he set the records, they were well beyond his contemporaries.
Marino is the only QB from the 80s that has numbers that are comparable to what QBs are doing today

Patler
01-19-2016, 03:17 PM
That's the problem with trying to make this list! After further inspection he wasn't qualified!

Really? I'm surprised. I thought maybe you realized you missed Warner, and McNair would be higher on the list.
I'd take MaNair over Warner (if he was still alive and both were still capable of playing.)

Patler
01-19-2016, 03:22 PM
Marino is the only QB from the 80s that has numbers that are comparable to what QBs are doing today

Yup, like Jim Brown was with the rushing record for a long time, even somewhat is still today, 50 years after he retired.

Deputy Nutz
01-19-2016, 03:26 PM
Otto Graham 6-1 195lbs
Browns

Otto Graham played in a different era than almost anyone else on this list. When he started playing for the Browns they weren't even in the NFL, they were in the AAFC. Graham led the Browns to 4 AAFC championships, and then when the Browns moved to the NFL he won 3 more NFL Championships. Considering he only played 10 years of football 7 championships is quite the accomplishment. Graham was a 5 time Pro Bowler.

Years Played: 10
Games Started: 126
Regular Season Record: 57-13-1
Playoff Record: 9-3
Completion %: 55.8
Yards per Attempt: 9
Yards per Completion: 16.1
Yards per Game: 187
TD to INT ratio:174-135
QB rating: 86.6
4th Quarter Comebacks:
Game Winning Drives:
Rushing Yards: 882
Yards per Carry: 2.2
Rushing TDs: 44

Deputy Nutz
01-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Really? I'm surprised. I thought maybe you realized you missed Warner, and McNair would be higher on the list.
I'd take MaNair over Warner (if he was still alive and both were still capable of playing.)

It was a coin flip

Tough on these bottom guys.

Deputy Nutz
01-19-2016, 03:30 PM
Yup, like Jim Brown was with the rushing record for a long time, even somewhat is still today, 50 years after he retired.

Rushing is still pretty close throughout the years. The running game was a huge part of the offense back in the day. The difference is many teams used both the fullback and halfback when rushing the ball back in the day. Jim Brown was a one man wrecking crew which was rare back then and which makes his stats hold up to today's one back attack.

mraynrand
01-19-2016, 03:32 PM
It was a coin flip

Tough on these bottom guys.

I agree. Probably less than a yard separates those two.

Deputy Nutz
01-20-2016, 09:23 AM
Aaron Rodgers 6-2 223lbs
Packers

Aaron Rodgers is the youngest player to show up on this list. He is a two time NFL MVP, Super Bowl MVP, a five time Pro Bowler, and a two time All-Pro. Rodgers is the prototypical modern era QB with a high number of touchdowns to a very low number of interceptions. he is one of the most accurate QBs of all time and has the highest QB rating of any quarterback to play the game. Depending on how long Rodgers stays in the game and continues to play at a high level when he retires he could easily be considered a top ten QB of all time. Unlike many on this list Rodgers had to sit and learn the game for three years. It wasn't until Brett Favre was traded that the door to the starting QB job in Green Bay was opened to Rodgers. He took the job and ran with it demonstrating that the Packers could continue one the same path that they were one with Favre.

Years Played: 11
Games Started: 119
Regular Season Record: 80-39
Playoff Record: 7-6
Completion %: 65
Yards per Attempt: 8.0
Yards per Completion: 12.3
Yards per Game: 257
TD to INT ratio: 257-93
QB rating: 104.1
4th Quarter Comebacks: 8
Game Winning Drives: 12
Rushing Yards: 2175
Yards per Carry: 5.0
Rushing TDs: 21

mraynrand
01-20-2016, 09:27 AM
Considering he only played 10 years of football 7 championships is quite the accomplishment. Graham was a 5 time Pro Bowler.

He was in the Championship Game of his league every year of his career. There isn't another QB, let alone player at any position that I can think of on any level except maybe high school who can make this claim.

Patler
01-20-2016, 09:51 AM
Rushing is still pretty close throughout the years. The running game was a huge part of the offense back in the day. The difference is many teams used both the fullback and halfback when rushing the ball back in the day. Jim Brown was a one man wrecking crew which was rare back then and which makes his stats hold up to today's one back attack.

Somewhat, but not entirely. Early in his career, Jim Brown played with future HOFer Bobby Mitchell, who was a running back with Cleveland. After Mitchell was traded, Brown played with Ernie Green. Both Mitchell and Green would get 500 yards/year running the ball, not much behind the likes of Hornung, Moore or Pitts for the Packers.

Brown often lead the league in carries, but that was a result of his greatness, not the cause of it.

Deputy Nutz
01-20-2016, 10:09 AM
sure but you are also talking about way more carries to go around as teams did not pass the ball as often. Brown received those carries because he was a destroyer of men, and then there were carries left over because teams weren't chucking the ball 40 times a game. If the average game back then consisted of 60-65 plays and they threw the ball 20 times to 25 times a game that left 40 carries. That's a lot of carries to go around even if Brown was getting the majority of them.

Patler
01-20-2016, 10:56 AM
sure but you are also talking about way more carries to go around as teams did not pass the ball as often. Brown received those carries because he was a destroyer of men, and then there were carries left over because teams weren't chucking the ball 40 times a game. If the average game back then consisted of 60-65 plays and they threw the ball 20 times to 25 times a game that left 40 carries. That's a lot of carries to go around even if Brown was getting the majority of them.

Brown did not average more carries per game over his career than most of the backs who top the all time list today (right around 20/game), but he played far fewer games than many of them. Even after missing a season, Adrian Peterson has already played more games than Brown did (just 2), has 22 more carries than Brown did, but 700 fewer yards than Brown over his career.

It was more of a rushing game in the '50s and '60s than it is today, and defenses were designed to stop the run. Good backs got 4 yards/carry. Brown got 5 yards. If you look at the career rushing leaders, only two have averaged 5 yards/carry or more; Barry Sanders at 5.0 yards and Jim Brown at 5.2 yards. Jim Taylor, generally considered the second best to Brown when both played in the '60s, averaged 4.4 yards.

Deputy Nutz
01-20-2016, 11:35 AM
If you are trying to argue that Brown is as talented as the backs today I am in agreement with you. Brown's overall stats maintain over the course of history.

HarveyWallbangers
01-20-2016, 09:16 PM
He was in the Championship Game of his league every year of his career. There isn't another QB, let alone player at any position that I can think of on any level except maybe high school who can make this claim.

Every player who graduated from North Dakota State the last two years would qualify, if you are counting high schoolers and college players.
:)

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2016, 07:35 AM
UW_Whitewater football program.

woodbuck27
01-21-2016, 08:40 AM
Kurt Warner
Rams, Giants, Cardinals

Kurt Warner was a nobody from Iowa. He played for little known Northern Iowa. He was able to get a short stint in training camp with the Packers in 1994. He managed to make the roster for the St. Louis Rams in 1998 under famed coach Dick Vermeil. In 1999 The Rams signed Trent Green to be their starting QB, but he was injured in preseason, and the starting gig was given to Warner. Warner would go on to lead the Rams to victory in the Super Bowl that season running a high speed offense that saw Warner pass for 41 touchdown passes breaking Brett Favre's NFC record of 38. Warner would go on to win the league's MVP that season. Warner would earn 4 trips to the Pro Bowl, the 1999 MVP and the 2001 MVP from the AP. His career with the Rams diminished after their appearance in the 2001 Super Bowl and he eventually became the back up to Eli Manning in New York. a Year later he moved to Arizona and led the Cardinals to the Super Bowl in 2008. He retired after the 2009 season.

Nice choice Deputy.....for a Top 20 pick.

I pay attention to and respect him as an analyst on the NFL Network.

He's as 'down to earth' as you may find as an analyst.

I always considered Kurt Warner ........ 'my kind of a lunch box' guy.

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2016, 09:09 AM
I hate Kurt Warner and everything he stands for.

woodbuck27
01-21-2016, 09:14 AM

Bullshit !

He's absolutely your sort of guy.

You can't fool this Ole Dog.....Deputy. :-)

Pugger
01-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Aaron Rodgers 6-2 223lbs
Packers

Aaron Rodgers is the youngest player to show up on this list. He is a two time NFL MVP, Super Bowl MVP, a five time Pro Bowler, and a two time All-Pro. Rodgers is the prototypical modern era QB with a high number of touchdowns to a very low number of interceptions. he is one of the most accurate QBs of all time and has the highest QB rating of any quarterback to play the game. Depending on how long Rodgers stays in the game and continues to play at a high level when he retires he could easily be considered a top ten QB of all time. Unlike many on this list Rodgers had to sit and learn the game for three years. It wasn't until Brett Favre was traded that the door to the starting QB job in Green Bay was opened to Rodgers. He took the job and ran with it demonstrating that the Packers could continue one the same path that they were one with Favre.

Games Started: 119
Regular Season Record: 80-39
Playoff Record: 7-6
Completion %: 65
Yards per Game: 257
TD to INT ratio: 257-93
QB rating: 104.1
4th Quarter Comebacks: 8
Game Winning Drives: 12
Rushing Yards: 2175
Yards per Carry: 5.0
Rushing TDs: 21

If he returns to playing like we know he can and wins another ring before he retires he'll shoot up this list big time. :-)

Pugger
01-21-2016, 09:33 AM

Because...?

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2016, 10:08 AM
Jim Kelly 6-3 217lbs
Bills

Jim Kelly was drafted out of the University of Miami in the famed 1983 Quarterback draft class. He was the third QB taken in that draft by the Buffalo Bills. The only problem was that he didn't want to play for Buffalo and went to play in the USFL in Houston. When the USFL folded he had no choice but to pack his bags for Buffalo. After a rough start with the franchise and teammates Kelly found his calling card in the high pace no huddle offense that was named the "K-Gun". With the no huddle offense Kelly would lead the Bills' high powered offense to four straight Super Bowls, none of which they would actually win. Kelly could never seem to play his best game when it mattered the most. Kelly was a 5 time Pro Bowler, 1991 first team All Pro, lead the NFL in passing Touchdowns and passer rating in 1991.

Games Started: 160
Regular Season Record: 101-59
Playoff Record: 9-8
Completion %: 60.1
Yards per Attempt: 7.4
Yards per Game: 221
TD to INT ratio: 237-175
QB rating: 84.4
4th Quarter Comebacks: 22
Game Winning Drives: 29
Rushing Yards: 1049
Yards per Carry: 3.4
Rushing TDs: 7

mraynrand
01-21-2016, 10:47 AM
Every player who graduated from North Dakota State the last two years would qualify, if you are counting high schoolers and college players.
:)

Good call. But Division II is pretty close to high school. I think the hierarchy is: Division I > Division II > U of Minnesota > high school. Not sure about the last two.

mraynrand
01-21-2016, 10:48 AM

I love Kurt Warner. He is one of my all time favorite NFL guys.

What does he stand for?

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2016, 11:31 AM
^^^^^
Christianity, being a good person.

mraynrand
01-21-2016, 11:41 AM
^^^^^
Christianity, being a good person.

Oh, now I see why you hate him. :)

pbmax
01-21-2016, 12:27 PM
Jim Kelly > Aaron Rodgers

I gotta think about that one for a while. But I am pretty sure I don't agree.

texaspackerbacker
01-21-2016, 01:02 PM
Where is the top end of the list?

Obviously a lot of people around here can't stand the thought of being labeled a homer - Aaron Rodgers at #17? Come On! If he isn't in the top five all time right now, something is pretty messed up.

Factoring in all items - stats, duration of high level performance, and yes, championships even though I consider that the least of the three, since it is, after all, a team sport, I'd say we Packer fans are blessed to have 3 in the top 7 or 8. I'd put Favre at #1 - whine about homerism if you will, but who is better over duration of his career? Elway? probably not. Montana? definitely not. Unitas? Maybe, probably not. Peyton? Doubtful. Marino? as was stated, in some ways. Brady? not yet anyway. Namath? No Way. Otto Graham? also rated too low on that list, but not on a par with Favre. Sammy Baugh? before even my time/the game was too different then.

I'll put Favre #1, Elway #2, Marino #3, Rodgers #4, Montana #5, Tarkenton #6, Starr #7, Peyton #8, Graham #9, Brady #10.

Oops, I forgot Unitas. Put him at #9 and move Graham and Brady down one.

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2016, 01:05 PM
The bottom line with Rodgers is that he isn't finished yet nor is he close to finished. He is not even the best QB of his era and like I have mentioned the tough thing about all this is jumping fro era to era with how the game was played and how the game was called by officials. Rodgers, Manninng, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger all play in the current era where the passing game is emphasized by the league. We have record setting play currently going on in the NFL and I don't necessarily think it is because the QBs are all that much better than QBs of the past.

To be honest Rodgers wasn't even on my original list. Its just that his stats really jump off the charts, but a lot of QB stats jump out from 2007 on. Don't you think it is weird that Brett Favre had his best statistical season ever at the age of 40 in 2009?

mraynrand
01-21-2016, 01:05 PM
Where is the top end of the list?

*SIGH*

Maxie the Taxi
01-21-2016, 01:46 PM
Barkeep, I'll have another bourbon and water over here. :-|

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2016, 01:47 PM
Len Dawson 6-0 190lbs
Chiefs, Pittsburgh, Browns

Dawson was a first round pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers, but did not see the field consistently until his former college coach Hank Stramm picked him up to play for the Dallas Texans of the AFL. He was the AFL MVP in 1962 as the Texans beat the Oilers for the AFL Championship. The next year the Texans moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs. Dawson would go on to win 4 AFL passing titles, Over the span between 1962-1969 Len Dawson completed more touchdown passes than any other professional QB. In 1966 Dawson lead the Chiefs to another AFL Title and the Chiefs earned the right to face the Green Bay Packers in the first ever Super Bowl. The Chiefs would fall to the Packers but Dawson was able to take the Chiefs back to the Super Bowl in 1969 after missing five games with a knee injury. Dawson and the Chiefs defeated the Vikings to win Super Bowl IV. He was named MVP of the game. Dawson managed to be named to the AFL/NFL pro bowl/all-star team 7 times and the AFL All Pro Team 2 times.

Years Played: 19
Games Started: 159
Regular Season Record: 94-57-8
Playoff Record: 5-3
Completion %: 57.1
Yards per Attempt: 7.7
Yards per Completion: 13.4
Yards per Game: 136
TD to INT ratio: 239-183
QB rating: 82.6
4th Quarter Comebacks: 15
Game Winning Drives: 18
Rushing Yards: 1293
Yards per Carry: 4.4
Rushing TDs: 43

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2016, 02:11 PM
Fran Tarkenton 6-0 190lbs
Vikings, Giants

Fran Tarkenton was a 9 time pro bowler for the Vikings and the Giants. His hectic style in the backfield in Minnesota frustrated his coach and led to him being traded to the Giants in 1968. He was then traded back to the Vikings in 1972. It was in the 1970s that Fran took the Vikings to 3 Super Bowls winning NFC Titles in 1973, 1974, and 1976. He was named the NFL's offensive player of the year in 1975, NFL MVP, and also earning All-Pro honors the same year.

Games Started: 239
Regular Season Record: 124-109-6
Playoff Record: 6-5
Completion %: 57
Yards per Attempt: 7.3
Yards per Completion: 12.8
Yards per Game: 191
TD to INT ratio: 342-266
QB rating: 80.4
4th Quarter Comebacks: 30
Game Winning Drives: 34
Rushing Yards: 3674
Yards per Carry: 5.4
Rushing TDs: 32

mraynrand
01-21-2016, 02:22 PM

Yards per Carry: 32
Rushing TDs: 5.4

Really? No, it's 32 rushing TDs, 675 attempts, and 5.4 yards/attempt

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2016, 02:39 PM
Good catch, hate to have that egg on my face

woodbuck27
01-21-2016, 02:45 PM
Kurt Warner
Rams, Giants, Cardinals

"There's no way to quantify Warner's commanding pocket presence, his ability to release the ball just before the rush arrives or the amazing array of passes he can throw with chilling accuracy," wrote Sports Illustrated

Deputy Nutz
01-21-2016, 02:48 PM
Warner also got shell shocked there for a while and after the Saints' coaching staff put a bounty on his head and knocked him out of the game he decided to retire

mraynrand
01-21-2016, 03:04 PM
Warner also got shell shocked there for a while and after the Saints' coaching staff put a bounty on his head and knocked him out of the game he decided to retire

I had forgotten that he was a victim of that too. The shot he took was every bit as hard as Sapp's hit on Clifton. That hit would draw an immediate flag and suspension today.

http://deadspin.com/5890060/the-hit-that-knocked-kurt-warner-into-retirement-sure-looks-different-knowing-the-saints-got-paid-to-injure-him

kinda reminds me of the hit the Spartans delivered on that place kicker from Oregon this past year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY6k7ycz2_E

Patler
01-21-2016, 03:20 PM
Warner had a strange career. Every team he was with seemed anxious to find a replacement for him. The Rams released him in favor of Marc Bulger. The Giants signed him, then sat him after just part of a season to play the rookie Eli Manning, who really wasn't very good at that time. The Cardinals ordained Josh McCown the starter after Warner played a few games and had a minor injury from which he returned in just a couple weeks, yet they stuck with McCown. When that didn't work, Warner started a few more games, then Leinart was ordained the starter for the rest of the year. For several years they kept giving the starting job to Leinart, yet yelded again to Warner each year.

Warner was a very effective starting QB that nobody seemed to have patience with when he had just a couple bad games; and they all tried to make anyone but him their starter.

mraynrand
01-21-2016, 04:11 PM
Warner's career sounds like what some posters here would like to do to Rodgers - or Stubby.

hoosier
01-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Vikings, Giants

Fran Tarkenton was a 9 time pro bowler for the Vikings and the Giants. His hectic style in the backfield in Minnesota frustrated his coach and led to him being traded to the Giants in 1968. He was then traded back to the Vikings in 1972. It was in the 1970s that Fran took the Vikings to 3 Super Bowls winning NFC Titles in 1973, 1974, and 1976. He was named the NFL's offensive player of the year in 1975, NFL MVP, and also earning All-Pro honors the same year.

Come on, Fran Tarkenton was a noodle armed waterbug. His playoff record is a function of those amazing defenses he played with, and yet he still never managed to win a SB.

Patler
01-21-2016, 05:04 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz

Yards per Carry: 32
Rushing TDs: 5.4Really? No, it's 32 rushing TDs, 675 attempts, and 5.4 yards/attempt

I was just about to accuse him, Bud Grant and whoever else coached him of being idiots. They should have kicked a FG instead of scoring 4/10 of a TD. The FG is worth more!

mraynrand
01-21-2016, 05:10 PM
I was just about to accuse him, Bud Grant and whoever else coached him of being idiots. They should have kicked a FG instead of scoring 4/10 of a TD. The FG is worth more!

I couldn't figure if .4 TDs is 2.4 or 2.8 points. You can't score .4 or .8 points even with replacement refs.

texaspackerbacker
01-21-2016, 06:09 PM
The bottom line with Rodgers is that he isn't finished yet nor is he close to finished. He is not even the best QB of his era and like I have mentioned the tough thing about all this is jumping fro era to era with how the game was played and how the game was called by officials. Rodgers, Manninng, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger all play in the current era where the passing game is emphasized by the league. We have record setting play currently going on in the NFL and I don't necessarily think it is because the QBs are all that much better than QBs of the past.

To be honest Rodgers wasn't even on my original list. Its just that his stats really jump off the charts, but a lot of QB stats jump out from 2007 on. Don't you think it is weird that Brett Favre had his best statistical season ever at the age of 40 in 2009?

Sad how some people are so afraid to be called a homer that they can't speak the truth if it happens to support their own.

What QB EVER had the positive stats and overall success of Aaron Rodgers with the extremely low level of interceptions? That lack of turnovers combined with great success trumps everything else sets Rodgers apart from a lot of others who threw with great success but put if up for grabs a lot more often.

Scott Campbell
01-21-2016, 06:18 PM

I can now say I know Kurt and he's one of the nicest human beings I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. He's like a G rated version of the Skinbasket.

QBME
01-21-2016, 06:40 PM
I can now say I know Kurt and he's one of the nicest human beings I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. He's like a G rated version of the Skinbasket.

I come out of lurking to hail a welcome back to Scott Campbell, as well as to acknowledge Nutz's great new avatar!

I now slink back...

HarveyWallbangers
01-21-2016, 06:46 PM
Good call. But Division II is pretty close to high school. I think the hierarchy is: Division I > Division II > U of Minnesota > high school. Not sure about the last two.

NDSU isn't Division II. They moved up to Division I (FCS). They've won championships (5) every year since, except their first year. No team at any level of college had won 5 straight. They've won their last 6 games against FBS competition (including defending Big 12 champion, Kansas State, in a year they won a bowl game), all on the road. Lately, some of the games haven't been that close, 34-14 over Iowa State and 37-24 in a comfortable win over Minnesota. Of course, most of those teams are lower echelon Power 5 teams (Minnesota, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Colorado, Colorado State). Next year, they get Iowa, so it will be a bigger test, and they lose their QB, Carson Wentz, who might end being first QB taken in this year's draft.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/8/30/6086977/north-dakota-state-fcs-fbs-STOP-PLAYING-THEM

mraynrand
01-21-2016, 09:41 PM
NDSU isn't Division II. They moved up to Division I (FCS). They've won championships (5) every year since, except their first year. No team at any level of college had won 5 straight. They've won their last 6 games against FBS competition (including defending Big 12 champion, Kansas State, in a year they won a bowl game), all on the road. Lately, some of the games haven't been that close, 34-14 over Iowa State and 37-24 in a comfortable win over Minnesota. Of course, most of those teams are lower echelon Power 5 teams (Minnesota, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Colorado, Colorado State). Next year, they get Iowa, so it will be a bigger test, and they lose their QB, Carson Wentz, who might end being first QB taken in this year's draft.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/8/30/6086977/north-dakota-state-fcs-fbs-STOP-PLAYING-THEM

I know they changed the designations, but sorry NDSU didn't win the 'Level one' championship, whatever the hell you want to call it - FBS or some other such nonsense. They won the lower level FCS championship. I'm too bored to look it up, but has the same QB led them in every championship, because that's the point I was making with Otto Graham? I'm not really interested in digging deep into NDSU football, as fine a program as they are.

mraynrand
01-21-2016, 09:42 PM

My brain can't conceptualize this.

Deputy Nutz
01-22-2016, 07:31 AM
^^^^^^
Skinbasket is a nice fellow, he is just the strangest person I know. The rumor has it that he has found religion.

SkinBasket
01-22-2016, 07:50 AM
^^^^^^
Skinbasket is a nice fellow, he is just the strangest person I know. The rumor has it that he has found religion.

I'm going to find your dog's butthole with my meat baton if you put Bert in the top 10. I see right through this "list" of yours. You wouldn't put this kind of time and effort into something unless it delivers a payoff of being a long winded way to say Rodgers isn't half the QB Farve was.

Deputy Nutz
01-22-2016, 11:46 AM
Bart Starr 6-1 197lbs
Packers

Bart Starr went from being the 200 pick in the 1956 draft to winning more NFL championships than any other quarterback. He was the first quarterback to ever win a Super Bowl and was named the MVP in Super Bowl I and Super Bowl II. He was the 1966 NFL MVP, and went to 4 Pro Bowls. He was famously known for his game winning drive and touchdown in the 1967 NFL Championship against the Dallas Cowboys dubbed the "ICE BOWL" because of the below zero temps and windchill during the December 31st game in Green Bay. Starr was responsible for calling the plays in the huddle, he had a great mind for the game which would later lead him into coaching for the only team he ever played for. He was inducted into the NFL Hall Of Fame in 1977.

Years Played: 16
Games Started: 157
Regular Season Record: 94-57-6
Playoff Record: 9-1
Completion %: 57.4
Yards per Attempt: 7.8
Yards per Completion: 13.7
Yards per Game: 126.1
TD to INT ratio: 152-138
QB rating: 80.5
4th Quarter Comebacks: 19
Game Winning Drives: 18
Rushing Yards: 1308
Yards per Carry: 5.3
Rushing TDs: 15

Bossman641
01-22-2016, 12:22 PM
My brain can't conceptualize this.

Seriously, once you strip away the essence of Skinbasket what is left?

Harlan Huckleby
01-22-2016, 12:28 PM
This is fucking tedious. I'd rather sit through a 2 hour Casey Kasem count down.

pbmax
01-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Seriously, once you strip away the essence of Skinbasket what is left?

Lot's of vascular tissue I would expect.

Cheesehead Craig
01-22-2016, 12:59 PM
This is fucking tedious. I'd rather sit through a 2 hour Casey Kasem count down.

Here's a long distance dedication from Harlan, it reads:

Dear Casey,
I'm in love with Nutz and I don't often see eye to eye with him and we occassionaly fight. But I love him so much. But for the best of us both, we had to end it.
Can you please play "I Will Always Love You" by Dolly Parton for me. I just want him to know how much I do love him.

Sincerely,
Harlan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDqqm_gTPjc

Deputy Nutz
01-22-2016, 01:04 PM
Her hair is unbelievable. Also, if you truly knew anything about My relationship with Harlan you would have linked the Whitney Houston version.

Smidgeon
01-22-2016, 01:04 PM
Here's a long distance dedication from Harlan, it reads:

Dear Casey,
I'm in love with Nutz and I don't often see eye to eye with him and we occassionaly fight. But I love him so much. But for the best of us both, we had to end it.
Can you please play "I Will Always Love You" by Dolly Parton for me. I just want him to know how much I do love him.

Sincerely,
Harlan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDqqm_gTPjc

And who didn't read that in Casey's voice?

Deputy Nutz
01-22-2016, 01:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JWTaaS7LdU

Cheesehead Craig
Her hair is unbelievable. Also, if you truly knew anything about My relationship with Harlan you would have linked the Whitney Houston version.

I'm all about the orignal, besides her knockers are better.

mraynrand

I believe you

Deputy Nutz
01-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Ok, Ok, GODDAMN IT!!!! This thread has gotten off point!!!

Hey Harlan, I will always guard your body.

mraynrand
01-22-2016, 01:07 PM
I'm all about the orignal, besides her knockers are better.

I believe you

SkinBasket
01-25-2016, 08:18 AM
Ok, Ok, GODDAMN IT!!!! This thread has gotten off point!!!

Someone's afraid of his dog getting butt raped.

Deputy Nutz
01-25-2016, 08:25 AM
The dog is going back to the breeder, you will have to settle for butt raping something else

SkinBasket
01-25-2016, 08:34 AM
The dog is going back to the breeder, you will have to settle for butt raping something else

Challenge accepted.

Deputy Nutz
01-26-2016, 08:54 AM
Roger Staubach 6-3 197lbs
Cowboys

Staubach was the 1963 Heisman trophy winner at the Naval Academy. He spent 5 years in the service during the Vietnam war and was a rookie with the Cowboys in 1968. In theory Staubach missed some if not all of his prime fighting for The United States Navy. Staubach played 11 years, taking the Cowboys to 5 Super Bowls and winning 2. He was named Super Bowl VI MVP. He went to the Pro Bowl 6 times, and the 1971 Player of the Year and NFL MVP(MX). He was a member of the 1970s NFL All Decade Team.

Games Started: 114
Regular Season Record: 85-29
Playoff Record: 11-6
Yards per Attempt: 7.7
Yards per Completion: 13.5
Yards per Game: 173.3
TD to INT ratio: 153-109
QB rating: 83.4
4th Quarter Comebacks: 15
Game Winning Drives: 23
Rushing Yards: 2264
Yards per Carry: 5.5
Rushing TDs: 20

mraynrand
01-26-2016, 09:09 AM
Jackie Smith

Patler
01-26-2016, 09:11 AM
Staubach ahead of Starr? Well, at least I know there is no reason to waste my time reading the rest of this thread! :) :)

Did you give Staubach extra credit for military service?

mraynrand
01-26-2016, 09:18 AM
Staubach ahead of Starr? Well, at least I know there is no reason to waste my time reading the rest of this thread! :) :)

Did you give Staubach extra credit for military service?

I see right through this "list" of yours. You wouldn't put this kind of time and effort into something unless it delivers a payoff of being a long winded way to say Rodgers isn't half the QB Farve was.

QFT

Deputy Nutz
01-29-2016, 10:06 AM
Steve Young 6-2 217lbs
Buccaneers Young

Steve Young played 15 seasons in the NFL. He was signed out of College by the L.A Express of the USFL in 1984 out of BYU. He signed the biggest contract in Football with the LA Express. Signing a 40 million dollar contract to be paid over 40 years. The contract expired when the league folded in 1986. Young was then signed by the Tampa Buccaneers. Young was deemed a bust in Tampa Bay throwing 11 touchdown passes in two years and 19 INTs in two season. He was then traded to San Francisco where he was Joe Montana's backup for 4 seasons. He took over for Montana in 1991 when Montana was recovering from an elbow injury. Young played well enough to earn the starting spot in 1992 while Montana was still recovering from injury. In 1993 the 49ers made the move to trade Montana to the Chiefs ending any QB controversy. Young would go on to win the 1994 Super Bowl. Young would set a Super Bowl record throwing for 6 touchdown passes and earning the MVP. Young was named NFL MVP twice, in 1994 and 1992. He would lead the league in Passer rating 6 times and at the time of his retirement he was the all time leader in passer rating. Young is considered one of the best duel threat QBs of all time. He is ranked 3rd in rushing yards all time by a QB, and his 43 TDs ranks second all time among QBs.

Years Played: 15
Games Started: 143
Regular Season Record: 94-49
Playoff Record: 8-6
Completion %: 64.3
Yards per Completion: 12.4
Yards per Game: 196
TD to INT ratio: 232-107
QB rating: 96.1
4th Quarter Comebacks: 14
Game Winning Drives: 17
Rushing Yards: 4239
Yards per Carry: 5.9
Rushing TDs: 43

pbmax
01-29-2016, 10:40 AM
^Completion percent probably not 96.8.

mraynrand
01-29-2016, 11:14 AM
^Completion percent probably not 96.8.

I think that's yards/attempt. That SF offense was pretty good.

yetisnowman
01-29-2016, 01:14 PM
Sort of amazing how the game and the qb position has changed over time. If Jay Cutler plays 2-3 more years his td-int ratio will likely be better than any hall of fame qb that played before Montana.

yetisnowman
01-29-2016, 01:21 PM
Edit: possibly still behind Tarkenton and Jurgensen

woodbuck27
01-29-2016, 01:31 PM
Vikings, Giants

Whenever I see Fran Tarkenton scrambling I saw this fella winding up to explode on the sidelines for the Minnesota Vikings.

This guy had coached in the CFL and notably so.

** He was the head coach of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League (CFL) for ten seasons, winning the Grey Cup four times.

** He is the most successful coach in Vikings history,

** He is the third most successful professional football coach overall (behind Don Shula and George Halas), with a combined 290 wins in the NFL and CFL.

** He was elected to the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 1983 and to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1994.

** He was the first coach in the history of professional football to guide teams to the Grey Cup finals and the Super Bowl.

He was one Helluva Fine Head Coach.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site569/2013/0819/20130819__BudGrant_skybox_300.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bud_Grant

ThunderDan
01-29-2016, 01:40 PM
As my son's karate master says, "How many Vikings does it take to lift the Lombardi trophy? We will never know."

mraynrand
01-29-2016, 02:55 PM
Sort of amazing how the game and the qb position has changed over time. If Jay Cutler plays 2-3 more years his td-int ratio will likely be better than any hall of fame qb that played before Montana.

NFL QBs used to throw picks like people tossing spare change into Salvation Army kettles. It was the right thing to do.

pbmax
01-29-2016, 03:39 PM
3 things can happen when you throw the ball and 2 of them are bad.

Woody's math used to be close to correct.

Deputy Nutz
02-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Terry Bradshaw 6-3 215lb
Steelers

Good Ole' Terry Bradshaw starts off the top ten. Bradshaw played 14 years for the Steelers. The "Blond Bomber" led the Steelers to the Super Bowl 4 times taking home the Lombardi Trophy all four times in the 1970s. His Steeler teams go down as one of the greatest dynasties of all time. Bradshaw was a two time Super Bowl MVP, a 3 time Pro Bowl selection, he led the league in passing TDs twice, and was on the 1970s All Decade team. To be fair Bradshaw makes the top ten of this list because of his trips and wins in the Super Bowl. Bradshaw had 30 career TDs in the playoffs and increased his career passer rating 13 points from the regular season to the playoffs. Bradshaw's Steelers went to the Playoffs every year from the 1972 to 1979.

Years Played: 14
Games Started: 158
Regular Season Record: 107-51-1
Playoff Record: 14-5
Completion %: 51.9
Yards per Attempt: 7.2
Yards per Completion: 13.8
Yards per Game: 166.6
TD to INT ratio: 212-210
QB rating: 70.9
4th Quarter Comebacks: 19
Game Winning Drives: 27
Rushing Yards: 2257
Yards per Carry: 5.1

pbmax
02-06-2016, 07:54 AM
Now you have gone off the rails. I don't care if he has 8 Super Bowls, Bradshaw was not Top 10.

Cheesehead Craig
02-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Bradshaw's got a healthy ego and even he wouldn't agree with him being #10

mraynrand
02-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Now you have gone off the rails. I don't care if he has 8 Super Bowls, Bradshaw was not Top 10.

Hell, they were constantly talking about benching him/replacing him.

woodbuck27
02-06-2016, 07:41 PM
Bradshaw's got a healthy ego and even he wouldn't agree with him being #10

Terry Bradshaw loves Brett Favre. He always says that Favre was the best he ever saw play the game.

When I do a TOP TEN QB All Time.

I have Terry Bradshaw knocking on the door. He was a QB from a different Era in that he called his own plays. He played on a dominant team and that sure helped his resume.