PDA

View Full Version : 2015-16 Non Packer Playoffs

pbmax
01-20-2016, 06:39 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 4h4 hours ago
Report: Clete Blakeman to referee Super Bowl 50 http://wp.me/p14QSB-9Y7L

I wonder how Bill B got a Head Ref who doesn't call DPI appointed to the game?

smuggler
01-21-2016, 05:51 AM
Quite possible it won't matter, since Denver is a better team.

pbmax
01-21-2016, 07:58 AM

I struggle to see how Denver scores. NE will get slowed down by Denver's D, but they are going to get 20, aren't they?

woodbuck27
01-21-2016, 08:02 AM

Smuggler:

If the Pats lose to the Broncos. I'll be shocked.

Tom Brady will as usual own Peyton Manning.

In a hugh game such as this weekends game Vs the Denver Broncos and with reports that the Pat's are generally more healthy than they've been as the regular season wound down.

With the work ethic Bill Belichick instills in his side. Given the fact of life for the Denver Broncos and facing a legitimate most outstanding Head Coach in the NFL or as we know his nickname......Hoody Genius.

I wouldn't advise a bet on the Broncos....against the spread (Pat's -3.5). The NE Patriots will as I view it.....COVER the spread.

Certainly .....don't bet the Denver Broncos straight up.

B and B have a lot to prove this season with all that deflation of the football baloney. All that really did was inspire a tougher Tom Brady if he wasn't already tough enough. With a Super Bowl victory. Tom Brady will nudge himself up in the eyes of the people that care about such and who's the GREATEST QB of all time.

The same may be said and Bill Belichick's legacy as an NFL Coach of undisputed renown. AS 'the BEST' he's not even marginally challenged.

The team that will stand in the Pat's way of all that being a reality will be the yet to be officially named NFL's MVP Cam Newton led Carolina Panthers also installed by Vegas as 3.5 Point Favourites to defeat the Arizona Cardinals. ** The NFL's First Franchise Team.

** The Cardinals, founded in 1898 and a charter member of the National Football League, hold the distinction of being the oldest continuously run professional football franchise in the nation.

Smuggler: You might want to smartly take the Card's and the points.

One hurdle that the Panthers have to be concerned with is the will of one man. This man is somehow like Bill Belichick in his style of being a Head coach ...well as I view him. Even tougher on the exterior. The Carolina Ron Rivera led Cardinals must overcome the outstanding tough leadership of the Arizona Cardinals Head Coach Bruce Arians.

Pugger
01-21-2016, 10:29 AM
The Cards will have to play a hell of a lot better than they did against us if they want to play in the SB. Denver's D is the real deal but their problem is Manning. He should have retired last summer. So if NE meets Carolina Brady and company are gonna have their hands full.

mraynrand
01-21-2016, 10:35 AM
The Cards will have to play a hell of a lot better than they did against us if they want to play in the SB.

I don't think so. The Packers played a solid game. The Cards looked the way they did because of the Packers.

woodbuck27
01-21-2016, 10:36 AM
The Cards will have to play a hell of a lot better than they did against us if they want to play in the SB. Denver's D is the real deal but their problem is Manning. He should have retired last summer. So if NE meets Carolina Brady and company are gonna have their hands full.

I agree with you.

The Super Bowl will feature:

NE Vs Carolina.

It's a Super Matchup. I expect an exciting game.

I'll be cooking Ribs dripping in a Special Sauce and a Potato Scallop and Caesar Salad and Crusty Rolls and washing all that down with James Ready Original Red Ale.

Yum !

Pugger
01-21-2016, 10:38 AM
I don't think so. The Packers played a solid game. The Cards looked the way they did because of the Packers.

Yes, we played great even if we were short handed so kudos to the guys and the coaching staff. Don't tell Woody. He's ready to help McCarthy clean out his office.

If Carolina gets after Palmer like we did AZ is in trouble.

Pugger
01-21-2016, 10:39 AM
I agree with you.

The Super Bowl will feature:

NE Vs Carolina.

It's a Super Matchup. I expect an exciting game.

I'll be cooking Ribs dripping in a Special Sauce and a Potato Scallop and Caesar Salad and Crusty Rolls and washing all that down with James Ready Original Red Ale.

Yum !

You're making me hungry! :-)

woodbuck27
01-21-2016, 10:51 AM
Yes, we played great even if we were short handed so kudos to the guys and the coaching staff. Don't tell Woody. He's ready to help McCarthy clean out his office.

If Carolina gets after Palmer like we did AZ is in trouble.

It's all about closing.

How the game finishes and WHY? it got ....just......and Packers ..there .... again ...with MM as HC. Pugger

Pugger
01-21-2016, 10:58 AM
It's all about closing.

How the game finishes and WHY? it got ....just......and Packers ..there .... again ...with MM as HC. Pugger

You should be more pissed about the defensive collapse in OT rather than MM not going for 2 and losing the coin toss. And I believe your ranting for MM's head is because of the Seattle game and this AZ game when Aaron never got a chance to finish out the game. You weren't calling for Mike's head after the WC game in Washington.

mraynrand
01-21-2016, 11:01 AM
Give Woody a break, he's the typical entitlement-type fan who thinks their team oughtta win it all every year, and any thing less is grounds for firing. Unfortunately, he's not alone.

smuggler
01-22-2016, 12:50 AM
Brady has never "owned" Peyton. But it's irrelevant. The Pats defense is okay, but Manning should be able to put up enough for the W. 24 points wins it. I don't see the Pats getting more than 23 points.

I have a feeling Carolina gets their shit pushed in.

DEN - ARZ

ThunderDan
01-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Brady has never "owned" Peyton. But it's irrelevant.

No doubt. Manning and Brady have never been on the field at the same time except during the coin toss and shaking hands after the game.

Rastak
01-22-2016, 09:07 PM
I struggle to see how Denver scores. NE will get slowed down by Denver's D, but they are going to get 20, aren't they?

Pats secondary isn't the greatest. We'll see. I'm not gonna pick it. I got no idea how this one will play out.

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 11:05 AM
Today you'll hear Peyton Manning shout this out many times before the snap:

Omaha Ehh !?

What does that mean to Peyton Manning and his offense?

Here's a plausible answer to that question according to one of Peyton Manning's former teammates.:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000627413/article/what-does-omaha-mean-reggie-wayne-knows

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 11:15 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000627411/article/wayne-more-on-line-sunday-for-peyton-than-brady

Wayne: More on line Sunday for Peyton than Brady

By: Conor Orr Around The NFL Writer

Published: Jan. 24, 2016 at 11:46 a.m

Former Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne, a long-time teammate of Peyton Manning's, is not holding back on NFL GameDay Morning.

As a guest analyst Sunday, Wayne began talking about Manning's legacy heading into a much-anticipated 17th rendition of Manning vs. Tom Brady with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line.

Please READ the rest of this story by clicking on the LINK above.

I hope you enjoy the Conference Championship games.

For any of you making bets or involved in Pro Pickems ... Good Luck ! :-)

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 12:21 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000627345/article/michael-robinson-i-think-peyton-manning-is-done

Michael Robinson: I think Peyton Manning is done

By: Conor Orr ... Around The NFL Writer

Published: Jan. 24, 2016 at 08:33 a.m. Updated: Jan. 24, 2016 at 12:18 p.m.

woodbuck27:

A lot of it has to do with arm strength. Can Manning put the mustard on his throws or not?

When a receiver heads to the sideline on an out route. Can Peyton Manning snap it out there with the ball traveling in the neighborhood of 40-50 MPH? We saw his arm strength taper off last season. We're seeing him more susceptible to the pick of late.

How much of what we saw last year was as a result of injury and thus he was hampered trying to be at his best? Ac QB has to be able to solidly plant his feet and we know that Manning had troubles there.

Noq were hearing from the horses mouth that he's OK and healthy. Ready to get it done.

It's eating Peyton Manning up to 'only' have a single Super Bowl ring. Baby brother Eli has two rings. I'm positive today that his biggest supporters will be his Father Archie Manning and Lil Bro Eli.

I'm so ready to see what will develop in Denver Vs New England. A classic matchup of outstanding TOP Level QB's.

The record to date in 16 previous meetings of these latter day NFL Greats:

Brady leads Manning:

Well here it is if your interested check it out.....and note to their head to head meetings in the Play Offs and results if your looking for $$$$ ACTION $$$$.

Manning vs. Brady: The Complete History

By Alex Gelhar ..... NFL.com .... NFL Media writer

Published: Jan. 17, 2016 at 08:48 p.m

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/story/0ap2000000313694/article/manning-vs-brady-the-complete-history

Joemailman
01-24-2016, 12:43 PM
Mid 40's in Denver today with some rain possible late in the game.

Clear in Charlotte with temperatures starting in low 40's and falling into mid 30's as game progresses.

Cheesehead Craig
01-24-2016, 12:51 PM
I'll go with a Denver/Carolina SB.

Denver has questions on offense, but I think that if Brady tries the 40+ pass attempts offense, he's gonna get beat up and the Den defense leads them to the SB.

Carolina has a tendency to let teams back into games. I think they have too much offense in this one and the home field advantage.

Rutnstrut
01-24-2016, 01:14 PM
I think old man Peyton crumbles in this one and the Patriots will win. I also think Cam and the Panthers beat the Cardinals. But I would really like to see Fitz and Bruce arians get to the SB.

mraynrand
01-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Like all playoff games, it comes down to QB play, and so, QB pressure. Manning is so limited and escaped by the skin of his teeth last week that it's hard to see how he wins it. I think the Denver defense will have to injure Brady to win this one. But that Denver defense is so good, they might just pull it off. They have to keep it close somehow to get to that 4th quarter where Brady and the rest of the team can fall apart. Altitude matters.

yetisnowman
01-24-2016, 02:10 PM

Completely disagree. But we'll see. I think the pats speed and versatility will give them the edge.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 02:16 PM
I just can't see the Broncos sustaining offense in this game. I think Pats win.

BTW, anyone see Vernon Davis just NOT save the Broncos season?

Striker
01-24-2016, 02:18 PM
Completely disagree. But we'll see. I think the pats speed and versatility will give them the edge.

I think you're wrong. Denver is better overall. Just not at QB.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 02:49 PM
Patriots want Manning to throw.

Pats miss a PAT. I think that ball was set down too far left. Wasn't where he marked it with his hand.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 02:56 PM
A 24 yard punt to the 16 yard line. Only Gary Kubiak thinks that is a good call. Well, he and Phil Simms.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 02:56 PM
Well, its pays off with INT.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 03:01 PM
Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 3m3 minutes ago
And Brady now has 11 touchdowns and 11 interceptions in the AFC Championship in his career.

That's how you win!!

pbmax
01-24-2016, 03:03 PM
TABLETGATE!!

pbmax
01-24-2016, 03:12 PM
The NFL must be testing for whatever QBs used to take to be able to complete intermediate passes without one-hopping it.

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 03:14 PM
I think old man Peyton crumbles in this one and the Patriots will win. I also think Cam and the Panthers beat the Cardinals. But I would really like to see Fitz and Bruce arians get to the SB.

He's looking strong so far......early into the 2nd QTR. with 2 TD Pass's to his TE Owen Daniels.

The BRONCO's fans are in the game too.

The secret is for Denver to be up at least a score at the half because Bilichick and Brady will recover at halftime and respond in the second half.

The Bronco 'D' is looking good so far.

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 03:15 PM
This is going to be a tough out for NE.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 03:22 PM
Jeremy Lundblad ‏@JLundbladESPN 6m6 minutes ago
Longest run by Patriots this postseason
Tom Brady - 11 yards
Julian Edelman - 11 yards
Tom Brady - 10 yards
#RunningBacks?

Aaron Schatz ‏@FO_ASchatz 58s58 seconds ago
Seriously, when's the last time Peyton Manning handed off on first and second down against a stacked defense? Playing in the yard at age 5?

Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell 3m3 minutes ago
Broncos are daring the Patriots to run. Smaller fronts, leaving guards uncovered and Miller over center at times.

YOU MUST RUN IN DECEMBER AND JANUARY TO WIN PLAYOFF FOOTBALL!

Rutnstrut
01-24-2016, 03:24 PM
He's looking strong so far......early into the 2nd QTR. with 2 TD Pass's to his TE Owen Daniels.

The BRONCO's fans are in the game too.

The secret is for Denver to be up at least a score at the half because Bilichick and Brady will recover at halftime and respond in the second half.

The Bronco 'D' is looking good so far.

Yup he looks good so far. But I like the Patriots odds. They have the best coach in the NFL when it comes to making adjustments on the fly. Add to that the best QB to play the game, and I think they come out on top.

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Yup he looks good so far. But I like the Patriots odds. They have the best coach in the NFL when it comes to making adjustments on the fly. Add to that the best QB to play the game, and I think they come out on top.

Brady was just picked and hit hard in the process.

It's going to be a battle.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 03:31 PM

I am kinda with you, it just seems improbable Manning keeps hitting these plays. That Sanders catch was all WR.

But the Broncos D is pounding the Patriots offense.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 03:34 PM
Giving up Giants playoff success secrets.

Justin Tuck ‏@JustinTuck 8m8 minutes ago
Pressure up the middle.... Umm where have we seen that before

Geoff Schwartz ‏@geoffschwartz 6m6 minutes ago
When they moved the umpire back behind the OL, the holding by DL on twist games picked up. It’s rare when they don’t hold on twists now

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 03:41 PM
I am kinda with you, it just seems improbable Manning keeps hitting these plays. That Sanders catch was all WR.

But the Broncos D is pounding the Patriots offense.

The Bronco 'D' is for real.

Belichick will beat it.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 03:42 PM
Denver Police Dept. @DenverPolice

�� MISSING PERSONS unit heading to @SportsAuthField to try & locate Patriots Offense. GO @Broncos

yetisnowman
01-24-2016, 03:47 PM
Denver Police Dept. @DenverPolice

😉 MISSING PERSONS unit heading to @SportsAuthField to try & locate Patriots Offense. GO @Broncos

Brady looks completely listless. Both qbs are throwing a lot of high risk passes, Pats better clean up really fast to have a shot in the 2nd half.

Rastak
01-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Brady looks completely listless. Both qbs are throwing a lot of high risk passes, Pats better clean up really fast to have a shot in the 2nd half.

Broncos playing it tough on defense. I agree Brady isn't real sharp.

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 03:57 PM
OK..It's 17 - 9 Bronco's at the Half.

It'll be interesting to se how 'Hoody Genius' adjusts....for the 2nd half.

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 04:16 PM
Manning wants this game so badly.

It'll be heart breaking for him...if he loses.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 04:20 PM
Patriots making non Patriot mistakes. I think they were offside on that punt.

But they got away with it?

Guess not, every other Patriots was late off the snap.

JohnMexico
01-24-2016, 04:31 PM
On top of everything we have to bitch about, I still think the most egregious roster spot belong to Masthay

Every other team remaining has TRUE NFL caliber punters. We have had no excuse to not find someone better than Tim these last few years. Both of these punters right now are on point.

Smidgeon
01-24-2016, 04:34 PM
On top of everything we have to bitch about, I still think the most egregious roster spot belong to Masthay

Every other team remaining has TRUE NFL caliber punters. We have had no excuse to not find someone better than Tim these last few years. Both of these punters right now are on point.

Still the best punter since the guy who went to Tampa. I know, I know. Low bar, but still.

Joemailman
01-24-2016, 04:37 PM
Patriots can't deal with Von Miller. They better find a way.

Rastak
01-24-2016, 04:39 PM
Gronk looking a bit rough.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 04:42 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZhPzDpVAAAP3hT.jpg:large

pbmax
01-24-2016, 04:43 PM

If this stays a one score game late, we'll learn again why Kubiak was available.

JohnMexico
01-24-2016, 04:44 PM

They can't. Theres no way. You cant win with an offensive line like that, a rotating one at that.

Shit happens in the NFL though. No sympathy from Packers fans.

Rastak
01-24-2016, 04:44 PM
If this stays a one score game late, we'll learn again why Kubiak was available.

Gonna be interesting.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 04:45 PM
He was open and another overthrow.

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 04:49 PM
Brady is deep in thought and has a sigh of some relief after the last Bronco drive falls short and ends up with another McManus FG.

Denver 20 - NE 12.

About 10 Minutes remain in the 4th QTR.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 04:51 PM
Isn't that helmet to helmet/defenseless receiver more than unnecessary roughness?

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 04:52 PM
He was open and another overthrow.

Just simply off target.

The golden egg is sometimes difficult to pick up.

Rastak
01-24-2016, 04:52 PM
Tight coverage by the Broncos.

Rutnstrut
01-24-2016, 04:54 PM
Isn't that helmet to helmet/defenseless receiver more than unnecessary roughness?

Yes, but they haven't called the other ones just like it today.

Rastak
01-24-2016, 05:00 PM
Rush did it all there, nicely played.

Rastak
01-24-2016, 05:10 PM
If you lobby for a call it should immediately disqualify it from being called.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 05:13 PM
Beautiful play by Webster.

Rastak
01-24-2016, 05:17 PM
Fuck you Gronk, nice fucking try.

Rutnstrut
01-24-2016, 05:18 PM
Boy the Broncos D gets away with a lot of shit. I have watched a lot of Bronco games this season and their D ALWAYS gets away with shit.

Rastak
01-24-2016, 05:21 PM
Give 'em shit Denver.....keep up the pressure.

Rutnstrut
01-24-2016, 05:21 PM
If you lobby for a call it should immediately disqualify it from being called.

That's funny coming from a Viking's fan. Cris Carter practically invented lobbying for PI calls;)

Rastak
01-24-2016, 05:24 PM
That's funny coming from a Viking's fan. Cris Carter practically invented lobbying for PI calls;)

Might want to keep it more contemporary.....:-)

I heard Red Grange whined alot.

Rastak
01-24-2016, 05:25 PM
Denver defense is rocking and rolling.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 05:25 PM
With home field noise, that pass rush is brutal.

Rastak
01-24-2016, 05:26 PM
wow

Rutnstrut
01-24-2016, 05:27 PM
There's the pass Rodgers has missed all season.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 05:29 PM
There's the TE Rodgers has missed all season.

FIFY. :D

Rastak
01-24-2016, 05:29 PM
wow again.

Rastak
01-24-2016, 05:30 PM
Jesus, pretty good game.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 05:31 PM
This OT, should Pats convert, brought to you by Gary Kubiak's 26 yard punt to the NE 17 yard line.

Rastak
01-24-2016, 05:32 PM
Ha! Broncs going to the SB.

Rutnstrut
01-24-2016, 05:32 PM
FIFY. :D

No doubt there, but a TE that's even a fifth of Gronk's awesomeness would help.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 05:34 PM
Congrats to Denver. Defense held all day long.

Joemailman
01-24-2016, 05:34 PM
Missed XP earlier cost Patriots a chance to tie the game there. Or would Belichick have gone for 2 to win the game?

Rastak
01-24-2016, 05:35 PM
Vikings damn near beat these guys too.....*sigh*

pbmax
01-24-2016, 05:35 PM
Pretty cool of Hoody right there. Getting dusty in here.

Teamcheez1
01-24-2016, 05:36 PM
I dislike both teams, but at least I won't have to listen to ESPN and the talking heads kissing Tom Brady's ass for the next two weeks.

Striker
01-24-2016, 05:47 PM
Missed XP earlier cost Patriots a chance to tie the game there. Or would Belichick have gone for 2 to win the game?

Or declining to kick FGs on 2 other occasions.

Rastak
01-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Me: Who do you like in this game?
Wife: Panthers
Me: Why Panthers?
Wife: Cardinals are not my favorite bird and I don't like red.
Me: Umm, okay, as good a reason as any I guess.

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 06:32 PM
Good for Peyton Manning.

Nice finish to the game.

A good one to watch overall.

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 06:33 PM
Me: Who do you like in this game?
Wife: Panthers
Me: Why Panthers?
Wife: Cardinals are not my favorite bird and I don't like red.
Me: Umm, okay, as good a reason as any I guess.

Good stuff.

Pugger
01-24-2016, 06:47 PM
I dislike both teams, but at least I won't have to listen to ESPN and the talking heads kissing Tom Brady's ass for the next two weeks.

You got that right. I have neighbors down here who are Patriot fans and they are an insufferable lot. Arrogant bunch of assholes who look down there noses at the rest of us peons because they have the almighty Hoodie and Tom Brady. :p

Infamous
01-24-2016, 06:53 PM

+1

mraynrand
01-24-2016, 06:58 PM
No doubt there, but a TE that's even a fifth of Gronk's awesomeness would help.

I'd gladly take receivers 1-4 over a TE.

mraynrand
01-24-2016, 07:02 PM
They can't. Theres no way. You cant win with an offensive line like that, a rotating one at that.

Shit happens in the NFL though. No sympathy from Packers fans.

Beicheat is supposed to win the Superbowl every year. Good coaches do those sorts of things even when their O-line is beat up and receivers 1-4 are missing. Bad coaches win a Superbowl, coach up a #24 Tedford system QB pick to HOF status , have the second best record in the NFL and playoff appearances over the past decade. Should fire 'em.

ThunderDan
01-24-2016, 07:09 PM
Yeah, NE lost. Now, we have to deal with the Peyton talk.:bang:

Rastak
01-24-2016, 07:17 PM
Panthers-Broncos would be a good Superbowl.

Seems inevitable.

Striker
01-24-2016, 07:19 PM

Seems inevitable.

Cam wants to keep them in it just a little.

Nevermind. Palmer.

ThunderDan
01-24-2016, 07:25 PM

Seems inevitable.

That's who I picked in the pick'em league this week. Panthers are the best team left. That being said Peyton probably wins the super Bowl and retires like Elway.

ThunderDan
01-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Arizona looks like a tire fire this week.

Joemailman
01-24-2016, 07:37 PM
Arizona looks like a tire fire this week.

Saw some hints of this last week. Palmer had 2 INT's, and could easily have had 4 or 5.

Still, Carolina has had some problems this year protecting big leads.

Rastak
01-24-2016, 07:40 PM
Saw some hints of this last week. Palmer had 2 INT's, and could easily have had 4 or 5.

I agree.

edit: I agree with both your points.

ThunderDan
01-24-2016, 07:41 PM
Good drive by Carolina to start the half. Even if they only get 3 it took time and rests the D.

mraynrand
01-24-2016, 07:47 PM

That's the way to build a team.

ThunderDan
01-24-2016, 07:51 PM
3 and out for Ari. Not the start they needed.

ThunderDan
01-24-2016, 07:54 PM
Carolina close to wrapping the game up in the 3rd quarter.

Rutnstrut
01-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Cam is a stud, just a fun QB to watch.

ThunderDan
01-24-2016, 08:14 PM
Onside here? Got to think so.

Rutnstrut
01-24-2016, 08:28 PM
Hmmm, the Panthers seem to be a pretty good team. But gasp, how can that be. They use other means than the draft to fill positions.

ThunderDan
01-24-2016, 08:34 PM
Hmmm, the Panthers seem to be a pretty good team. But gasp, how can that be. They use other means than the draft to fill positions.

They also didn't fire their coach who only has 2 winning seasons in 5 years.

Striker
01-24-2016, 08:39 PM
Carson Palmer plays so well under pressure.

ThunderDan
01-24-2016, 08:39 PM
Not sure why Carolina went for 2 there. Up 25 with 5 minutes to play. Kind of bush league to me.

Rutnstrut
01-24-2016, 08:41 PM
Not sure why Carolian went for 2 there. Up 25 with 5 minutes to play. Kind of bush league to me.

Yeah, it's much better to take your foot off the gas as stubby would do.

ThunderDan
01-24-2016, 08:43 PM
Yeah, it's much better to take your foot off the gas as stubby would do.

Seriously? I don't understand that response. They are up 3+ scores with 5 minutes to go. That isn't taking your foot off the pedal.

Rutnstrut
01-24-2016, 08:45 PM
Kuechly and the pick 6, how bush league. He should have given palmer a "do over".

Cheesehead Craig
01-24-2016, 08:45 PM
Obviously Arians is not a tough coach. He let his team get blown out.

ThunderDan
01-24-2016, 08:46 PM
Kuechly and the pick 6, how bush league. He should have given palmer a "do over".

What is your problem tonight?

I have no problem with the TD or Kuechly's TD. Just think going for 2 was bush league. Would call any team out for that.

Rutnstrut
01-24-2016, 08:49 PM
What is your problem tonight?

I have no problem with the TD or Kuechly's TD. Just think going for 2 was bush league. Would call any team out for that.

I'm just being a smartass, sorry. I think it's a result of Packer withdrawl and being cooped up with the family this weekend.

denverYooper
01-24-2016, 08:54 PM
I just can't see the Broncos sustaining offense in this game. I think Pats win.

BTW, anyone see Vernon Davis just NOT save the Broncos season?

General opinion everywhere in Denver metro is that Vernon Davis was a huge waste of money and a draft pick. He's been terrible.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 08:59 PM
Huh. I could have sworn I read somewhere that the Cardinals sign Free Agents and therefore will win every Super Bowl from now until the Sun extinguishes itself.

denverYooper
01-24-2016, 08:59 PM

Shields could have helped him out with an extra few.

Rutnstrut
01-24-2016, 09:00 PM
Huh. I could have sworn I read somewhere that the Cardinals sign Free Agents and therefore will win every Super Bowl from now until the Sun extinguishes itself.

On the flip side of that, the Panthers sign FA's and look pretty damn good. So....

pbmax
01-24-2016, 09:04 PM

Or maybe it was the emergency list of people they call when unexpected disaster strikes. I think it was advanced in some way, like they used Excel or something similarly space aged.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 09:05 PM
General opinion everywhere in Denver metro is that Vernon Davis was a huge waste of money and a draft pick. He's been terrible.

I think Indy might feel the same about Andre Johnson.

call_me_ishmael
01-24-2016, 09:09 PM

Can was drafted. JStew was drafted. Keuchly was drafted. TDavis was drafted. Normal was drafted. Other than the TE, there studs were all drafted it seems.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 09:09 PM
On the flip side of that, the Panthers sign FA's and look pretty damn good. So....

Sure. but 30 teams fail to reach their goal. Well, maybe not Cleveland or Jacksonville, I am sure they are fine tax deductions.

There are many ways to skin a cat, but only two teams get where they want to go.

ThunderDan
01-24-2016, 09:10 PM

Who did Carolina sign? I just looked and it looks like they signed Greg Olsen, Boykins, Michael Ohr, and some journey man CB. The rest were resigning their own players.

KYPack
01-24-2016, 09:49 PM
Greg Olsen was a resign.

He was traded for a third rd pick from the Bears.

One of the worst trades in Bears history.

yetisnowman
01-24-2016, 11:46 PM
I'll go with a Denver/Carolina SB.

Denver has questions on offense, but I think that if Brady tries the 40+ pass attempts offense, he's gonna get beat up and the Den defense leads them to the SB.

Carolina has a tendency to let teams back into games. I think they have too much offense in this one and the home field advantage.

Nice call

mraynrand
01-25-2016, 07:11 AM

Who did Carolina sign? I just looked and it looks like they signed Greg Olsen, Boykins, Michael Ohr, and some journey man CB. The rest were resigning their own players.

Stick to bald assertions, we don't like facts here.

mraynrand
01-25-2016, 07:13 AM

They are built Ford Tough - William Clay Ford Sr. tough, that is.

Deputy Nutz
01-25-2016, 08:03 AM
I say Goddamn was that Broncos defense nasty! They did the same thing to the Packers in week 8. They just keep coming off the edge, and if the edge rushers don't get you the guys in the middle swallow the QB up. Usually Brady is so very good at moving in the pocket to avoid the sack but he had no where to go. Coverage down field was also top notch. A lot of the Patriot routes consists of using quick receivers that can get a step on the CBs in man coverage but then utilize Brady having time in the pocket to wait for the over routes in zone coverage to break open in the soft spots in the zone. Well, that shit wasn't happening last night.

I am a Brady guy not much of a Manning guy, so this loss stings a bit. Very similar to watching the Packers play this season when their tackles were injured. Their is no replacing NFL starting caliber offensive tackles that can set the edge in pass pro. The Patriot tackles were so abused and miss treated it wasn't funny, and then when they did their jobs the guards would fail to pick up the stunts on a regular basis. Even the best QBs start to struggle under that much pressure. I mean to be knocked down 23 times in one game is ridiculous.

The question is or was, did Manning go out and earn this Super Bowl? No. Much like John Elway's last Super Bowl, Manning did the things that were necessary for the Broncos to get to the Super Bowl. Manning didn't look the Manning of old. He over threw receivers for TDs, he was a statue in the pocket, and only managed 3 points in the second half, but he didn't kill the offense with giving the Pats short field by fumbling the ball or throwing picks. He had a very good first half and that was all the Broncos needed. He played the game smart, he allowed the defense to win the football game and not put them in poor positions.

This will be an interesting Super Bowl because it is one thing to send the house against a non mobile Tom Brady, but it is an entirely different breed with Cam Newton. I will be interested see if Cam will handle the pressure on and off the field during the Super Bowl. If he plays well then the Panthers walk away with the win. They play really good defense and have a better running game and offensive line than the Patriots.

If you asked me to predict the score, 34-17 Carolina

pbmax
01-25-2016, 08:06 AM
Manning didn't turn it over and he moved better than he has in 2 seasons. That wasn't his former standard, but it was enough. Brady's turnovers hurt.

Watching NE's O versus that D was exactly like watching a Packers game.

Deputy Nutz
01-25-2016, 08:14 AM
Manning ran that Bootleg early in the first half with success, then he had the run for a first down which was a hilarious only because Brady did it a couple of series before and they were both sadly slow. I thought Manning played a really good game, but should say he wasn't the reason for the victory he was a side note, Trent Dilfer like, or Brad Johnson like, not the Peyton of old. Which is probably better since the Peyton of old would have layed an egg.

If Manning manages to win this Super Bowl is he the greatest ever?

Cheesehead Craig
01-25-2016, 08:54 AM
Manning ran that Bootleg early in the first half with success, then he had the run for a first down which was a hilarious only because Brady did it a couple of series before and they were both sadly slow. I thought Manning played a really good game, but should say he wasn't the reason for the victory he was a side note, Trent Dilfer like, or Brad Johnson like, not the Peyton of old. Which is probably better since the Peyton of old would have layed an egg.

I'm still in the Montana camp of best QB ever, even if Peyton wins this SB.

mraynrand
01-25-2016, 08:55 AM

How low can he sink?

http://image.cdn.ispot.tv/ad/AZuw/papa-johns-pocket-change-featuring-jj-watt-peyton-manning-large-7.jpg

mraynrand
01-25-2016, 08:56 AM

no

Cheesehead Craig
01-25-2016, 08:57 AM
How low can he sink?

http://image.cdn.ispot.tv/ad/AZuw/papa-johns-pocket-change-featuring-jj-watt-peyton-manning-large-7.jpg

Only about a quarter or so lower

pbmax
01-25-2016, 09:21 AM
Joe should get degree of difficulty points for being barely bigger than Papa John.

woodbuck27
01-25-2016, 10:26 AM
Greg Olsen was a resign.

I was wondering at the time of that trade:

What were they thinking. A head shaker.

Couldn't they afford his talent?

woodbuck27
01-25-2016, 10:32 AM

http://www.mensfitness.com/sites/mensfitness.com/files/styles/photo_gallery_full/public/_joe_montana_0.jpg?itok=hWlnTDtV

Right as of now...Joe 'Cool' Montana...Is the NO. 1 QB ALL TIME.

He's the Maestro of the BIG Game Result.

Patler
01-25-2016, 10:53 AM
Greg Olsen was a resign.

I was wondering at the time of that trade:

What were they thinking. A head shaker.

Couldn't they afford his talent?

Wasn't it the thought at that time that Olsen wasn't a good fit for the scheme of Mike Martz or whoever was the Bear's OC at the time?

It didn't make a lot of sense to me either. It would seem that a good pass catching tight end could be useful in any scheme.

Joemailman
01-25-2016, 11:16 AM
Wasn't it the thought at that time that Olsen wasn't a good fit for the scheme of Mike Martz or whoever was the Bear's OC at the time?

It didn't make a lot of sense to me either. It would seem that a good pass catching tight end could be useful in any scheme.

You would think so. But in Martz' scheme, the TE was primarily a blocker to give the WR's time to get open downfield. In 2001 when the Rams went to the Super Bowl, Kurt Warner completed 380 passes for 4900 yards. TE's caught about 50 passes for about 550 yards.

KYPack
01-25-2016, 11:23 AM

Yeah, there was that sentiment. He also got hurt and the "fan" sentiment was he wasn't an impact #1 pick. Well, that was stupid and if you are a GM, don't listen to fans bc they are stupid. Olsen was a disciplined route runner with good hands. He was a #1 pick, so what? He could play then and he's even better now. It ain't the first time the Bear FO outsmarted themselves and it wont' be the last.

Bossman641
01-25-2016, 11:31 AM

We can thank Mike Martz for that one. He wanted a blocking TE so all his deep routes could materialize and went with Kellen Davis after Olsen left. It worked out OK for the Bears as they flipped the 3rd rounder for Brandon Marshall.

yetisnowman
01-25-2016, 01:59 PM

Tolbert , Ginn Jr., Cotchery, are also free agent signings. I think it's completely fair to point out Carolina's aggressiveness via trades and free agency, in comparison to Ted and the Pack.

ThunderDan
01-25-2016, 02:55 PM
Tolbert , Ginn Jr., Cotchery, are also free agent signings. I think it's completely fair to point out Carolina's aggressiveness via trades and free agency, in comparison to Ted and the Pack.

Tolbert was a re-sign. Tolbert was originally an undrafted free agent to SD
Ginn Jr. - Wasn't he washed out of the league? Carolina gave up on him in 2013 after Miami and SF. Ginn Jr. was also a year in ARI
Cotchery was a 10 year vet when picked up in 2014. Dude was born with 6 fingers on one hand. No wonder he catches the ball so well.

woodbuck27
01-25-2016, 03:02 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Olsen_(American_football)#Chicago_Bears

He was the The 31st overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft too.

I never judged him as a bust.

I thought that the Panthers got a steal from da Bears.

PACKERS !

pbmax
01-25-2016, 04:50 PM
Pffffffffftt. Run Defense.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZmCbfBUsAEOrAB.png:large

Bryan Frye ‏@LaverneusDingle 2h2 hours ago
By TAY/P, top defenses versus opposing quarterbacks.

TAY/P is Total Adjusted Yards per Pass. Pass yards with deductions for interceptions and sacks.

vince
01-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Pffffffffftt. Run Defense.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZmCbfBUsAEOrAB.png:large

Bryan Frye ‏@LaverneusDingle 2h2 hours ago
By TAY/P, top defenses versus opposing quarterbacks.

TAY/P is Total Adjusted Yards per Pass. Pass yards with deductions for interceptions and sacks.
That's a pretty strong stat. I wonder how it compares with Defensive Passer Rating...

vince
01-25-2016, 05:57 PM
Pretty close. It looks like it may correlate even better. Sorry about the mess.

Rank Team 2015 Last 3 Last 1 Home Away 2014
1 Carolina 72.8 66.6 41.3 69.0 78.5 89.8
2 Kansas City 74.2 65.2 103.5 76.6 72.7 86.4
3 Denver 77.7 75.6 56.4 78.9 76.3 81.9
4 Cincinnati 78.6 75.6 73.8 76.2 81.1 77.7
5 NY Jets 79.0 66.8 82.7 79.3 78.8 101.5
6 Seattle 79.6 69.5 108.3 79.2 79.9 80.6
7 Green Bay 81.7 83.7 92.4 74.4 87.5 82.0
8 Arizona 82.3 101.5 117.4 85.9 78.9 85.8
9 Buffalo 83.3 79.6 42.7 84.4 82.1 74.5
10 Houston 83.4 67.3 98.7 80.4 86.6 80.4
11 New England 86.5 92.1 90.1 81.9 91.0 82.3
12 Oakland 86.8 76.6 71.9 91.0 83.2 96.9
13 Atlanta 86.9 87.0 103.1 80.3 94.7 88.9
14 Indianapolis 88.0 76.4 66.4 82.1 93.9 87.1
15 Pittsburgh 88.7 63.0 74.4 84.9 92.0 99.2
16 Minnesota 88.9 73.2 63.3 87.3 90.7 92.9
17 St Louis 90.4 86.8 86.7 93.6 87.1 91.8
18 Philadelphia 92.8 104.6 93.4 98.4 87.8 91.6
19 San Diego 93.8 75.7 77.5 98.8 88.9 91.3
20 Dallas 94.2 109.6 151.3 101.0 87.1 90.4
21 NY Giants 95.9 108.9 108.3 95.9 95.9 89.4
22 Washington 96.0 95.1 93.5 91.4 100.3 108.3
23 Jacksonville 97.2 96.8 76.2 91.7 101.6 99.1
24 Miami 97.4 84.9 68.8 95.2 99.2 89.7
25 San Francisco 98.1 101.2 75.7 86.1 111.1 79.5
26 Chicago 99.1 127.3 119.4 106.3 92.9 101.8
27 Baltimore 99.6 90.8 103.9 103.0 95.9 91.3
28 Detroit 100.9 99.7 97.5 104.1 97.9 84.6
29 Tennessee 101.1 97.2 77.4 103.8 98.5 93.6
30 Cleveland 101.8 109.2 102.7 95.6 109.1 74.1
31 Tampa Bay 102.3 131.1 139.3 101.1 103.4 97.2
32 New Orleans 116.2 125.2 103.2 126.2 106.1 92.9

Rutnstrut
01-25-2016, 06:02 PM

Give it up, the only answer here is that TT is god and his way is the only way.

mraynrand
01-25-2016, 08:16 PM
Give it up, the only answer here is that TT is god and his way is the only way.

Bow to your Sensei!

https://media.giphy.com/media/RmWrAFLqhUtdm/giphy.gif

denverYooper
01-25-2016, 09:14 PM
Break the wrist, walk away.

pbmax
01-25-2016, 10:42 PM
Rank Team 2015 Last 3 Last 1 Home Away 2014
1 Carolina 72.8 66.6 41.3 69.0 78.5 89.8
2 Kansas City 74.2 65.2 103.5 76.6 72.7 86.4
3 Denver 77.7 75.6 56.4 78.9 76.3 81.9
4 Cincinnati 78.6 75.6 73.8 76.2 81.1 77.7
5 NY Jets 79.0 66.8 82.7 79.3 78.8 101.5
6 Seattle 79.6 69.5 108.3 79.2 79.9 80.6
7 Green Bay 81.7 83.7 92.4 74.4 87.5 82.0
8 Arizona 82.3 101.5 117.4 85.9 78.9 85.8
9 Buffalo 83.3 79.6 42.7 84.4 82.1 74.5
10 Houston 83.4 67.3 98.7 80.4 86.6 80.4
11 New England 86.5 92.1 90.1 81.9 91.0 82.3
12 Oakland 86.8 76.6 71.9 91.0 83.2 96.9
13 Atlanta 86.9 87.0 103.1 80.3 94.7 88.9
14 Indianapolis 88.0 76.4 66.4 82.1 93.9 87.1
15 Pittsburgh 88.7 63.0 74.4 84.9 92.0 99.2
16 Minnesota 88.9 73.2 63.3 87.3 90.7 92.9
17 St Louis 90.4 86.8 86.7 93.6 87.1 91.8
18 Philadelphia 92.8 104.6 93.4 98.4 87.8 91.6
19 San Diego 93.8 75.7 77.5 98.8 88.9 91.3
20 Dallas 94.2 109.6 151.3 101.0 87.1 90.4
21 NY Giants 95.9 108.9 108.3 95.9 95.9 89.4
22 Washington 96.0 95.1 93.5 91.4 100.3 108.3
23 Jacksonville 97.2 96.8 76.2 91.7 101.6 99.1
24 Miami 97.4 84.9 68.8 95.2 99.2 89.7
25 San Francisco 98.1 101.2 75.7 86.1 111.1 79.5
26 Chicago 99.1 127.3 119.4 106.3 92.9 101.8
27 Baltimore 99.6 90.8 103.9 103.0 95.9 91.3
28 Detroit 100.9 99.7 97.5 104.1 97.9 84.6
29 Tennessee 101.1 97.2 77.4 103.8 98.5 93.6
30 Cleveland 101.8 109.2 102.7 95.6 109.1 74.1
31 Tampa Bay 102.3 131.1 139.3 101.1 103.4 97.2
32 New Orleans 116.2 125.2 103.2 126.2 106.1 92.9

yetisnowman
01-26-2016, 09:50 AM
Tolbert was a re-sign. Tolbert was originally an undrafted free agent to SD
Ginn Jr. - Wasn't he washed out of the league? Carolina gave up on him in 2013 after Miami and SF. Ginn Jr. was also a year in ARI
Cotchery was a 10 year vet when picked up in 2014. Dude was born with 6 fingers on one hand. No wonder he catches the ball so well.

They weren't drafted by Carolina....hence free agent signings. Whether they were signed to more than one contract is irrelevant.

Rutnstrut
01-26-2016, 12:50 PM
They weren't drafted by Carolina....hence free agent signings. Whether they were signed to more than one contract is irrelevant.

Exactly.

smuggler
01-26-2016, 12:56 PM
Problem is that Tolbert, Cotchery, and Ginn are all basically average players. We need impact players.

Patler
01-26-2016, 01:28 PM

Exactly.

Yet, in another thread, it seems that some don't think Peppers and Guion "count" as free agent signings because they were street free agents not subject to draft pick compensation consideration.

If we are looking at supplements to the "draft and develop" philosophy, I think you have to consider anyone not drafted. I tend to exclude undrafted rookie free agents signed originally by GB, because they are not much different than drafted players,except they could have signed with anyone. Maybe it is unfair not to consider a guy like Shields, who could have signed anywhere, but chose GB. I guess I think of them as totally developmental anyway.

But anyone whose rights were held by another team and signed with GB after clearing waivers or as FA not subject to waivers should be considered to some extent. Players like Tramon Williams and Tim Masthay, for example, who had some history with the NFL and were free to sign with any team they chose to. John Kuhn is still a FA acquisition, along with Tolzien. RFAs like Robert Thomas, too.

Starters or significant role players signed by GB as FAs under Thompson over the years include; Klemm, Jackson, Thomas, Roman, Pickett, Woodson, Manuel, Kuhn, Chillar, Walden, Peprah, Green, Goode, Saturday, Benson, Wallace/Tolzien/Flynn, Peppers, Guion, Masthay, Jones and Lovato. There may be more. Most of those were starters, at least 20 in 11 years. At least seven on the 2015 team, not including Tolzien who made no significant contribution in 2015.

Fritz
01-26-2016, 02:29 PM
Yet, in another thread, it seems that some don't think Peppers and Guion "count" as free agent signings because they were street free agents not subject to draft pick compensation consideration.

If we are looking at supplements to the "draft and develop" philosophy, I think you have to consider anyone not drafted. I tend to exclude undrafted rookie free agents signed originally by GB, because they are not much different than drafted players,except they could have signed with anyone. Maybe it is unfair not to consider a guy like Shields, who could have signed anywhere, but chose GB. I guess I think of them as totally developmental anyway.

But anyone whose rights were held by another team and signed with GB after clearing waivers or as FA not subject to waivers should be considered to some extent. Players like Tramon Williams and Tim Masthay, for example, who had some history with the NFL and were free to sign with any team they chose to. John Kuhn is still a FA acquisition, along with Tolzien. RFAs like Robert Thomas, too.

Starters or significant role players signed by GB as FAs under Thompson over the years include; Klemm, Jackson, Thomas, Roman, Pickett, Woodson, Manuel, Kuhn, Chillar, Walden, Peprah, Green, Goode, Saturday, Benson, Wallace/Tolzien/Flynn, Peppers, Guion, Masthay, Jones and Lovato. There may be more. Most of those were starters, at least 20 in 11 years. At least seven on the 2015 team, not including Tolzien who made no significant contribution in 2015.

What you need to understand is that, on most fan forums and certainly this one, "free agent signings" means signing players who are well-known. When you read "Thompson hardly ever signs free agents" it means, in translation, "Thompson hardly ever signs free agents who are well-known."

yetisnowman
01-26-2016, 03:01 PM

Yeah I am omitting waived players/scrapheap/practice squad retreads/etc. from the argument. That's not really my issue. It's the lack of activity when it comes to UFA's that produced on another team the previous year. I like that we are focused on draft/development but it's a little frustrating seeing two teams in the Super Bowl that have used free agency/trades to supplement their roster in a much more aggressive manor than Ted seems to think is prudent.

Smidgeon
01-26-2016, 03:04 PM
What you need to understand is that, on most fan forums and certainly this one, "free agent signings" means signing players who are well-known. When you read "Thompson hardly ever signs free agents" it means, in translation, "Thompson hardly ever signs free agents who are well-known and in high demand during the early days of free agency."

Fixed.

yetisnowman
01-26-2016, 03:06 PM
Problem is that Tolbert, Cotchery, and Ginn are all basically average players. We need impact players.

Well they are offensive starters/contributors, and Ginn has elite speed and caught 10 tds, and averaged 17 yds a catch so....I'm not sure if I would call that average. Dream scenario for me would be Trevathian and Kearse via free agency, and draft a TE and a scat back that can make plays. Won't hold my breath.

mraynrand
01-26-2016, 03:15 PM
Well they are offensive starters/contributors, and Ginn has elite speed and caught 10 tds, and averaged 17 yds a catch so....I'm not sure if I would call that average. Dream scenario for me would be Trevathian and Kearse via free agency, and draft a TE and a scat back that can make plays. Won't hold my breath.

Ginn probably suffers from a bad history. He's played so bad in the past that it leaves this indelible mark on your memory. He's had a nice year, but he still drops too many passes. He's like 2xJamesJones.

Patler
01-26-2016, 03:32 PM
Yeah I am omitting waived players/scrapheap/practice squad retreads/etc. from the argument. That's not really my issue. It's the lack of activity when it comes to UFA's that produced on another team the previous year. I like that we are focused on draft/development but it's a little frustrating seeing two teams in the Super Bowl that have used free agency/trades to supplement their roster in a much more aggressive manor than Ted seems to think is prudent.

So this year alone the Packers had at least three such starters who had produced on their previous teams, Peppers, Guion and Jones; although all three were released by their former teams and were free agents because of money (Peppers), effort/attitude/personality (Guion), and who knows (Jones).

mraynrand
01-26-2016, 03:37 PM
The other thing about FA - IF you sign some vet, then you might not be able to keep say, Gunter this year or Shields in 2010.

yetisnowman
01-26-2016, 09:46 PM
The other thing about FA - IF you sign some vet, then you might not be able to keep say, Gunter this year or Shields in 2010.

Fair point. Though I would argue Aaron's age should dictate a little more aggresive offseason activity the next few years. Holding on to younger guys with upside becomes less ideal as our window to make another title run begins to close. Not a cap expert by any means, but I thought we have flexibility in that regard.

smuggler
01-26-2016, 10:19 PM
That is actually a very valid point. And it's a reason why Thompson should be more aggressive NOW, as you say, but also a validation of his reservation/conservative attitude in the past. (Why squander a great QB by spending when he's 27 and putting your team in cap hell in two seasons??).

Patler
01-27-2016, 09:54 AM
Fair point. Though I would argue Aaron's age should dictate a little more aggresive offseason activity the next few years. Holding on to younger guys with upside becomes less ideal as our window to make another title run begins to close. Not a cap expert by any means, but I thought we have flexibility in that regard.

On the other hand, one could argue that if they had taken that approach in the last years of Favre's time in GB, they might not have had the pieces in place for the SB run in 2010 with Rodgers. A few old vets could have meant there was no room on the roster for an unheard of free agent like Tramon Williams in 2006/2007 when he played little. By 2010 he was a key contributor to the SB run. Of course, had the result been another SB or two while Favre was QB, we might not have cared. In the end, a "what might have been" is just like a "what might be," simply guess work for fans.

In the past, I argued that a GM should become more aggressive when the team is close and has a QB in place. I have argued that Wolf failed in that regard after the SB win, and I have been reaching the same opinion on TT for the years since 2010. However, our discussions the last few days have made me reconsider that position. Over the past 11 years, in terms of winning SBs, an aggressive approach has been no more successful for NE than TT's approach has been for the Packers. The aggressive approach by Seattle has succeeded once, too. Aggressive approaches by others have been no more, and some actually less successful.

I think different GMs have different styles, and they should remain true to themselves. In the end they have to be in the hunt to get the prize, and staying in the hunt by whatever means works for him is the best approach a GM can take.

Bossman641
01-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Is anyone else getting concerned about free agency after this upcoming year?
Sitton, Lang, Bakhtiari, Lacy are all FA's that offseason

Cheesehead Craig
01-27-2016, 11:41 AM

Not about Lacy.

mraynrand
01-27-2016, 12:12 PM

Yep. TT should make a stab at a championship in the next two years, and look for a key piece or two any place he can because 1) Rodgers is getting older 2) Rodgers' contract will run out in a few 3) if Hundley progresses, but not enough to replace at Rodgers' level, you are going to have a downturn 4) TT is reaching the end of his own run.

TT needs his Wolf 2000 year right now - a great draft with 4-5 starters and a key veteran pickup like Ahman Green.

But aggressiveness could also look like 2009 - a move up to get a key piece like Matthews. But you have to be right. You put fewer eggs in your basket and a spoiled one or two will kill the whole meal (see Mike Sherman, GM for example(s) )

Patler
01-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Yep. TT should make a stab at a championship in the next two years, and look for a key piece or two any place he can because 1) Rodgers is getting older 2) Rodgers' contract will run out in a few 3) if Hundley progresses, but not enough to replace at Rodgers' level, you are going to have a downturn 4) TT is reaching the end of his own run.

TT needs his Wolf 2000 year right now - a great draft with 4-5 starters and a key veteran pickup like Ahman Green.

But aggressiveness could also look like 2009 - a move up to get a key piece like Matthews. But you have to be right. You put fewer eggs in your basket and a spoiled one or two will kill the whole meal (see Mike Sherman, GM for example(s) )

Didn't TT do that in 2014 when he went out and signed Peppers and Guion, and used a first round pick for HHCD? The area that needed help the most was defense. Peppers was a big name, and expensive. Guion had been a starter the last two years in MN. There was a big hole at safety, and he used his first draft pick to plug it. Significant investment and change at all three levels of the defense by free agency and the draft. He supplemented that with a somewhat expensive chance on Raji, overpaying for how he had played the last couple years, but hoping the position change back to NT would justify a single year contract. The return on that was 0, because Raji missed the season, but the chance was taken.

ThunderDan
01-27-2016, 12:39 PM

Did he do this in 2015? Randall (I know an ankle biter), Rollins, Montgomery and Ryan. Then throw in the potential of Hundley.

Ripkowski is solid on special teams for a 6th rounder. Ringo and Beckman are wait and see prospects for 2016.

ThunderDan
01-27-2016, 12:41 PM

Did he do this in 2015? Randall (I know an ankle biter), Rollins, Montgomery and Ryan. Then throw in the potential of Hundley.

Ripkowski is solid on special teams for a 6th rounder. Ringo and Beckman are wait and see prospects for 2016.

The Packers had 4 of the top 20 free agent signings in 2015 even though they were all Packers at the time.

woodbuck27
01-27-2016, 12:52 PM
Didn't TT do that in 2014 when he went out and signed Peppers and Guion, and used a first round pick for HHCD? The area that needed help the most was defense. Peppers was a big name, and expensive. Guion had been a starter the last two years in MN. There was a big hole at safety, and he used his first draft pick to plug it. Significant investment and change at all three levels of the defense by free agency and the draft. He supplemented that with a somewhat expensive chance on Raji, overpaying for how he had played the last couple years, but hoping the position change back to NT would justify a single year contract. The return on that was 0, because Raji missed the season, but the chance was taken.

This season turned out being a huge disappointment.

I cannot recall another like it since the 1980's.

I hope TT agrees and does what he can to get the packers a real shot next season because we'll likely lose some key pieces to ouir 'O' to FA after the 2016-17 Season.

A key to this realistically is choosing between DT's BJ Raji and Guion for the DL. Maybe he'll ensure he can retain both?

Will Aaron Rodgers restructure if needed to permit such things. What's ARod's commitment ?

The same goes for CM III ! The way Brett Favre optioned too without much success.

If he let's go of Julius Peppers and $$$$ will be a major factor and that decision between partied. Can he move to bring in a comparable or superior player?

Are we really set in the Defensive Backfield?

Where will TT find an upgrade at TE?

What's right for the team and protecting Aaron Rodgers blind side and LT?

How will TT address the issues and the RB position?

With Jordy Nelson's return. How is the depth at WR ...really?

What's TT's plan and the BEST way to utilize CM III? For what...2-4 years we've identified BIG need and the middle of our LBer Core. Is TT going to HOLD with what's presently on the Roster and inside LBer?

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !!

Patler
01-27-2016, 03:25 PM
The Packers had 4 of the top 20 free agent signings in 2015 even though they were all Packers at the time.

Those don't count because, well, they just don't. If TT had let Cobb and Bulaga walk, and then signed a similarly expensive WR and OT, it would have satisfied his critics because he would then have been "active" in free agency. My gosh, he would have signed a couple of the top 20! One of the best tackles available! (Never mind that he lost similar players).

Signing your own is so boring.

He hasn't learned his lesson, either. He should have let Daniels go, then used the $ to sign someone from another team. You know, a real free agent. And not a guy like Peppers, because, you understand, he wasn't really a free agent either. Never mind that he had no contract, and was free to sign with any team he wanted to.

Patler
01-27-2016, 03:29 PM
[SIZE=1][COLOR="#008000"][COLOR="#2F4F4F"]This season turned out being a huge disappointment.

I cannot recall another like it since the 1980's.

For me, 2011 was much more of a disappointment than this year.

yetisnowman
01-27-2016, 04:10 PM
2 things. I feel like people are overvaluing Guions skills a little bit. And are people really insisting Peppers is not an example of a free agent acquisition?

mraynrand
01-27-2016, 04:12 PM

Good argument. I don't disagree. TT's only mistake was keeping Bostick on the roster. :)

Joemailman
01-27-2016, 04:16 PM

And Tretter. At least one of the 4 O-Linemen won't be back. Not sure who. Sitton is the oldest, but also the best. Lang is one of MM's favorite players. Bakhtiari and Tretter are the youngest. Health could be an issue in the decisions they make.

I have no idea what Lacy will do.

mraynrand
01-27-2016, 04:19 PM

Need a few more years to be sure, but it seems promising. Rollins/Randall analogous to Clifton/Tauscher? Still No Ahman Green....

mraynrand
01-27-2016, 04:20 PM
I have no idea what Lacy will do.

Eat. And eat some more.

mraynrand
01-27-2016, 04:22 PM
For me, 2011 was much more of a disappointment than this year.

Yep. Fart in the wind territory.

Patler
01-27-2016, 04:30 PM
2 things. I feel like people are overvaluing Guions skills a little bit. And are people really insisting Peppers is not an example of a free agent acquisition?

No body is suggesting Guion is a star, but he was signed as a free agent and was good enough to come in and start all 16 regular season games in 2014. So if the idea is to use free agency to fill holes in the roster, Guion is an example of TT having done that.

Striker
01-27-2016, 07:20 PM
No body is suggesting Guion is a star, but he was signed as a free agent and was good enough to come in and start all 16 regular season games in 2014. So if the idea is to use free agency to fill holes in the roster, Guion is an example of TT having done that.

Yep. Guion is the type of "slight upgrade" type player that others keep bringing up in posts.

woodbuck27
01-27-2016, 07:28 PM
Yep. Guion is the type of "slight upgrade" type player that others keep bringing up in posts.

He's being recognized favorably now by some members of the NFL media who saw him have a good season, last.