PDA

View Full Version : RB coach hired

Patler
01-23-2016, 09:56 PM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2016/1/23/10820172/packers-ben-sirmans-running-backs-coach-sam-gash-coaching-hire-nfl-2016

Ben Sirmans, recently fired by Rams, said to be the new guy in GB.

denverYooper
01-24-2016, 07:57 AM
The one thing the Rams offense seemed to do competently was run the ball.

Patler
01-24-2016, 08:13 AM
The one thing the Rams offense seemed to do competently was run the ball.

Yet, Jeff Fisher fired him. I wonder why?

pbmax
01-24-2016, 08:50 AM
They let five go because their offense was terrible outside of Gurley and Austin.

Those who will not be retained are Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach Adam Bailey; Assistant Special Team Coach Paul F. Boudreau; Offensive Assistant Jeff Garcia; Wide Receivers Coach Ray Sherman and Running Backs Coach Ben Sirmans.

red
01-24-2016, 09:16 AM
i don't know. neither new hire seems all that great to me

neither one seems to have presided over players who had good years until this year. this one coached was handed one of the best rb's to come out of college in awhile and gets fired right away

both coaches got fired from shitty teams

hope i'm wrong here

Maxie the Taxi
01-24-2016, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by From Rams Website
Those who will not be retained are Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach Adam Bailey; Assistant Special Team Coach Paul F. Boudreau; Offensive Assistant Jeff Garcia; Wide Receivers Coach Ray Sherman and Running Backs Coach Ben Sirmans.

When an overrated coach needs to deflect criticism, he fires his assistants.

In four years Fisher hasn't had a winning season. If the team were located in just about any other NFL city except Cleveland or Tampa Bay or Jacksonville, the fans would be calling for his head.

Pugger
01-24-2016, 09:54 AM
When an overrated coach needs to deflect criticism, he fires his assistants.

In four years Fisher hasn't had a winning season. If the team were located in just about any other NFL city except Cleveland or Tampa Bay or Jacksonville, the fans would be calling for his head.

He might be in trouble next year in LA if that team doesn't win right away.

run pMc
01-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Didn't Ray Sherman coach for GB?

pbmax
01-24-2016, 10:32 AM

Yep. WR coach. Was a good one. Developed Driver.

1988 Houston Oilers (running backs)
1989 Houston Oilers (wide receivers)
1990 Atlanta Falcons (assistant head coach/offense)
1991 San Francisco 49ers (running backs)
1992–1993 San Francisco 49ers (wide receivers)
1994 New York Jets (offensive coordinator)
1995–1997 Minnesota Vikings (quarterbacks)
1998 Pittsburgh Steelers (offensive coordinator)
1999 Minnesota Vikings (offensive coordinator)
2000–2004 Green Bay Packers (wide receivers)
2005–2006 Tennessee Titans (wide receivers)
2007–2010 Dallas Cowboys (wide receivers)
2012–2015 St. Louis Rams (wide receivers)

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 10:45 AM

RE: Ray Sherman - as an NFL WR Coach:

" In his first year with the Titans (2005), Sherman mentored a trio of rookie draft picks – Brandon Jones, Courtney Roby and Roydell Williams – along with veteran Drew Bennett in the lead receiver role. The three rookie receivers, along with rookie tight end Bo Scaife, became the first quartet of rookie pass catchers to each collect at least 20 receptions since the 1968 Buffalo Bills (Max Anderson, Gary McDermott, Haven Moses, and Richard Trapp). Each of Sherman’s three rookie receivers earned starting nods at some point during the season.

Before landing in Tennessee, Sherman spent five seasons (2000-04) as the wide receivers coach for the Green Bay Packers. During his run in Green Bay, Sherman helped develop a corps of young receivers –

Javon Walker, Donald Driver and Robert Ferguson – into elite receivers with Driver (2002, 2006 and 2007) and Ferguson (2005) earning trips to the Pro Bowl.

In 2004 Driver and Walker ranked second in the NFL for yards by a receiver combination (2,590) and Walker was third in the league with 1,382 yards with 12 touchdowns in just his third NFL season. In 2002 the Packers led the league with 29 touchdown receptions. "

mraynrand
01-24-2016, 10:58 AM
Javon Walker, Donald Driver and Robert Ferguson – into elite receivers with Driver (2002, 2006 and 2007) and Ferguson (2005) earning trips to the Pro Bowl...

LOL. None of those guys were elite, least of all Ferugson.

Patler
01-24-2016, 11:15 AM
They let five go because their offense was terrible outside of Gurley and Austin.

Which makes it all the more odd, because they fired this guy who coached RBs, and Ray Sherman who coached WRs, along with O assistant Jeff Garcia. The other two were a Special Teams assistant and the Strength and Conditioning guy. They kept the other guys on offense, including the TE coach (Boras) who took over as OC in December and has now been elevated to Assistant HC-Offense.

I'm guessing that Boras did not like/get along with Sirmans, Sherman and Garcia, and that he is being allowed input for the O-coaching staff under him.

Sirmans has a solid history, I think. Here is his bio from the Rams site before this season:

In each of the last two seasons, Sirman’s tutored a back who has finished second in rushing among all rookies. Last season, it was Tre Mason, a third round pick that ran for 765 yards in 12 games. Mason scored five total touchdowns to tie for the team lead in the category. Mason rushed for 100 yards in two games and had an 89-yard touchdown run in the Rams’ win over Oakland.

A year earlier, fifth-round pick Zac Stacy started the final 12 games of the season and rushed for 973 yards, the third-highest total by a rookie in team history. Among Rams, only Eric Dickerson and Jerome Bettis rushed for more yards as a rookie than Stacy.

NFL rookies rushed for 100 yards or more in a game 14 times in 2013, and Rams backs accounted for five of those. Stacy reached the mark four times, while Benny Cunningham, who joined the team as an undrafted free agent that season, accomplished the feat in a win over Chicago. Cunningham averaged 5.5 yards per carry as a rookie (47 for 261). He continued to thrive in his second NFL season as he finished third among Rams with 45 receptions while serving as the team’s primary third-down back in 2014.

Throw in this year with Gurley, and he has a record of success with young backs. Maybe he can start from the beginning with Lacy.

Patler
01-24-2016, 11:18 AM
I can't see Ray Sherman ever coming back to GB. Too many bad memories. His sign died from a gunshot in their garage. Initially ruled a suicide, Sherman sued the coroner, claiming it was clearly accidental, as his son was not despondent, etc. I think he "won" and the death certificate was changed to undetermined, or something like that.

pbmax
01-24-2016, 11:21 AM
I don't remember the terms of his departure. At first I wondered if he was a fall guy in Sherman's rebuilding of the receiver corp, but if he was here for Waker and Ferguson, he survived that offseason.

But I had forgotten about his son.

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Which makes it all the more odd, because they fired this guy who coached RBs, and Ray Sherman who coached WRs, along with O assistant Jeff Garcia. The other two were a Special Teams assistant and the Strength and Conditioning guy. They kept the other guys on offense, including the TE coach (Boras) who took over as OC in December and has now been elevated to Assistant HC-Offense.

I'm guessing that Boras did not like/get along with Sirmans, Sherman and Garcia, and that he is being allowed input for the O-coaching staff under him.

Sirmans has a solid history, I think. Here is his bio from the Rams site before this season:

Throw in this year with Gurley, and he has a record of success with young backs. Maybe he can start from the beginning with Lacy.

Maybe we'll be really fortunate and Sirman's will get to work with a solid Rookie RB and prove to me that TT is on the ball in terms of Packers and the Running game. With what I'm seeing and Eddie Lacy....James Starks a FA.....and the dramatic decline in rushing production and the fumbles on behalf of Lacy and Starks. The RED FLAG Alert is obvious !

I don't want TT to go all 'Eggs already in that one basket'. I want to see more and REAL potential value at RB. I don't want to see another TT hack coming into the Packers TC with close to zero potential to really contribute to the Packers much needed Running Game.

If TT and MM cannot come up with as bona fide fix in that part of the offense. T he passing game will suffer. The Packer offense will again as it did this past season...sputter.

I want to seem some intelligence from TT and MM and the running game.

Patler
01-24-2016, 11:38 AM
I don't remember the terms of his departure. At first I wondered if he was a fall guy in Sherman's rebuilding of the receiver corp, but if he was here for Waker and Ferguson, he survived that offseason.

But I had forgotten about his son.

Sherman left GB in 2005. Story at the time was that he liked GB but his contract expired, and even though GB wanted him back, he wanted to start over with his family somewhere else.

I think Sherman is (or at least was) a very good WR coach.

Patler
01-24-2016, 11:56 AM
Woodbuck;

Do you consider Crockett, Lacy, Starks, Alex Green, Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn all to be guys who had no potential to contribute? Several of them failed, for sure, but I thought all were good guys to give opportunities to. RBs often come from no where, and these were all guys who had had success in college.

(FYI Woodbuck - finally got up to Wasaga Beach last fall for a few days to visit our good friend. Early November, and colder than heck while we were there!)

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 12:28 PM
I can't see Ray Sherman ever coming back to GB. Too many bad memories. His sign died from a gunshot in their garage. Initially ruled a suicide, Sherman sued the coroner, claiming it was clearly accidental, as his son was not despondent, etc. I think he "won" and the death certificate was changed to undetermined, or something like that.

WOW.......... I don't recall that sad news Patler and PACKER WR's Coach Pat Sherman's son's tragic death.

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 01:51 PM
Woodbuck;

Do you consider Crockett, Lacy, Starks, Alex Green, Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn all to be guys who had no potential to contribute? Several of them failed, for sure, but I thought all were good guys to give opportunities to. RBs often come from no where, and these were all guys who had had success in college.

(FYI Woodbuck - finally got up to Wasaga Beach last fall for a few days to visit our good friend. Early November, and colder than heck while we were there!)

I'm still not set on what Eddie Lacy is as a RB the Packers need to count on. Ryan Grant was close to being that RB. The last guy like that was 'that special RB' just one particular guy in the last decade and a half.

Ahman Green and he was the Greatest in Packer History after the amazing Jim Taylor. We waited a long long time for Ahman Green. .Before Ahman Green for a short while we had Dorsey Levens and before him I liked Edgar Bennett as a dependable RB.

You or Bretsky or PBMAX or I could evaluate talent every bit as good as Ted Thompson and his (what are they paid for?) Scouting Dept. I have to observe failure upon failure and more .....even more failures of TT draft picks and imagine that TT is an outstanding judge of College football talent (skills set).

Please ....give me a break.

The others you write of in your post. TT's evaluations of just Wanna Be's.

The rest of them after Ahman Green (before TT) and TT's best efforts...are cracked marbles in a bag.

It seems like TT enjoys watching small men run. He has to get into the mind of a football player to see if he can be 'that football player at the NFL level'. Ted Thompson cannot get there and he won't ever because he's over the top not a people person. He is invisible....NOT available as MM would like ....Patler.

TT has to evaluate the HEART and SOUL of a possible draft pick. He has to get out of the stands and wtching and taking notes and get really with and inside a prospects head.

That;s nice that you made that trip here to Ontario ( and in spite of poor weather ) I hope Canadian hospitality served you properly. Here 's a funny thing. I've twice resided for periods of 5-6 years in Ontario. Once very early in my career and Nuclear Power. These latter years 2011 to present. [B]I've never been to WASEGA Beach. I want a Tee Shirt. :-)

Just a little on hospitality and here Vs the Maritimes. NFLD is simply awesome. Maybe the finest people on the planet.

It's different here in S. Central Ontario on the Georgian Bay Belt..... than where I come from; and hospitality is just a part of the overall friendly and helpful to any needful tourist / visitor to the Maritimes. I've noticed that women here seem friendly but overall the men......NOPE ! I think it's something and excessive Waspishness. Did I invent a word...uhmm !? Again Patler.....back East 'the Boys well MEN..Real MEN' are the thing and you cannot miss having a great time out 'with the Men' with the Lady's approval of course'.

Now a wee bit of a warning and travel back East:

You might almost die having too much fun..... if you allow yourself to 'get right down to it'. The party in the Maritimes is a test of endurance and what you carry around in your cloths. Your shit will be tested. It's best to simply learn to nod 'YES' ....a lot. Never get where you can't have a whiz. :glug: hahahaa.

Ohh Patler:

I'd love it that we might one day meet. The hospitality would be FIRST CLASS.

Mae and I never returned from the East until early December. We had am amazing late July to early Dec. vacation this time. Well ....it's always awesome like LIFE in general. :-)

:pack: Happy New Year Patler. :pack:

mraynrand
01-24-2016, 03:25 PM
You or Bretsky or PBMAX or I could evaluate talent every bit as good as Ted Thompson and his (what are they paid for?) Scouting Dept.

blowhard

woodbuck27
01-24-2016, 04:21 PM
blowhard

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRq_m5YDsCAuHdoW5ebze41Bnn-HupSn-Ny6nrOKVkPa2Vs7th6Pg

No mraynrand..Blow eeeaaaaasssssyyy into a conch shell.

The tone will be lovely.

mraynrand
01-24-2016, 07:03 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRq_m5YDsCAuHdoW5ebze41Bnn-HupSn-Ny6nrOKVkPa2Vs7th6Pg

No mraynrand..Blow eeeaaaaasssssyyy into a conch shell.

The tone will be lovely.
shouldn't you be at the East West Shrine game?

Joemailman
01-25-2016, 09:03 AM
So when do we find out if the Packers really hired these 2 new coaches?

Patler
01-25-2016, 09:13 AM
So when do we find out if the Packers really hired these 2 new coaches?

Not until after they sign their contracts. The same happens with players. The word gets out long before the Packers make an announcement. It was explained one time that the Packers do not make announcements until a contract is signed, forwarded to the league and approved. I don't know if coach contracts have to be sent to the league and approved or not, but I suspect the Packers will wait at least until the coaches have signed before they make an official announcement.

woodbuck27
01-25-2016, 10:38 AM
shouldn't you be at the East West Shrine game?

Shouldn't you be posting here a lot more constructively towards some semblance of harmony/decency?

Get the HELL off your stalking horse.....before it toss's you on your noggin. Your heading 'for HURT'.

mraynrand
01-25-2016, 10:41 AM
Shouldn't you be posting here a lot more constructively towards some semblance of harmony/decency?

Get the HELL off your stalking horse.....before it toss's you on your noggin. Your heading 'for HURT'.

Are you going to try and beat me up on the playground again?

Joemailman
01-30-2016, 09:53 PM
After tomorrow, we'll have both the Senior Bowl and the Pro Bowl behind us. So will we finally find out if MM actually did hire 2 new coaches?

channtheman
01-31-2016, 12:57 AM
LOL. None of those guys were elite, least of all Ferugson.

He went to the Pro Bowl? I don't know how that didn't condemn that thing to hell if Fergie could get voted in. Holy crap.

esoxx
01-31-2016, 11:35 AM
Turd Ferguson didn't sniff a Pro Bowl. The game is a joke regardless.

Joemailman
01-31-2016, 08:15 PM
He went to the Pro Bowl? I don't know how that didn't condemn that thing to hell if Fergie could get voted in. Holy crap.

It wasn't Fergie who went to the Pro Bowl. Walker went following the 2004 season.