PDA

View Full Version : Hoody and the Field Goals That Weren't

pbmax
01-25-2016, 07:24 AM
He's taking some heat for not using any of their three trips to the red zone in the 4th Quarter (prior to 6 minutes remaining) to kick a FG.

They got one Gronk TD but had two incomplete passes to end the other drives.

Asked about the choice, Belichick said: “Because of the score and situation of the game”

After the Gronk TD they were down eight points. How high would you build the gallows if this was the Packers?

mraynrand
01-25-2016, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I was kinda surprised with three time outs and the 2 minute warning that they didn't kick the FG. But I missed much of the second half and didn't realize they'd gotten close and missed another fourth down earlier. Three FGs and they win. Maybe they lost faith in the place kicker after he pooched the extra point. More likely 'Cheat didn't think they'd get more chances with how well the Denver defense was playing. It ends up looking like he made the wrong calls, but you never know if they continue to hold Denver when Denver has to play to score, not just keep running the clock.

But I'm thinking it really boils down to NE being satisfied with just being in the game. 'Cheat was wearing an "AFC Championship Participant" shirt at his presser after all. Their fans should want more than just one SB win in a decade with the greatest coach and QB in NFL history.

Deputy Nutz
01-25-2016, 08:08 AM
I think the first trip into the red zone with just over 6 minutes left and the Pats had a 4th-1 I thought it was a mistake to not kick the field goal. I understand at the time the Pats were having a hard time moving the football and they had finally gotten a rhythm but it was an easy 3 points and you make it a 5 point game. The Broncos had nothing left offensively in the second half I just don't see why you pass on those points.

pbmax
01-25-2016, 08:10 AM
Too much respect for Manning?

As much trouble as the Pats O was having versus the Denver D, you pass up the first three because you are down 2 full scores (and are rewarded with a Gronk TD).

But you pass up the others because you expect Manning to score again. Even if he has not had back to back good halves in many games this year. Except against the Packers I suspect.

Deputy Nutz
01-25-2016, 08:18 AM
Also even if you kick the field goal you still have to score a touchdown to win the game. It is still a one score game and it is 4th-1. I think it is a tough call especially in hindsight because the Pats could have kicked 3 field goals and won the game. Silly

Cheesehead Craig
01-25-2016, 08:42 AM
Obviously no faith in the kicking game.

Fire the ST coach Joe Judge!

woodbuck27
01-25-2016, 10:39 AM
He's taking some heat for not using any of their three trips to the red zone in the 4th Quarter (prior to 6 minutes remaining) to kick a FG.

Asked about the choice, Belichick said: “Because of the score and situation of the game”

After the Gronk TD they were down eight points. How high would you build the gallows if this was the Packers?

Big ego or big errors or .................... both?

Something ............else?

Bill Bilichick (I'm positive) will work all that out.

Next season....My prediction:

New England wlil be AFC Champ.

That team needs a receiver to stretch the field. They havn't had that guy since Randy Moss.

Fritz
01-25-2016, 10:43 AM

I suspect there'd be a whole lot of gallows-building going on. I wonder if that's happening on NE forums. . . .

KYPack
01-25-2016, 12:01 PM
Very little pissin' and moanin on NE forums about kicking the FG's.

They are mainly butt hurt about losing HFA.

Some of 'em are crying about the shot plays to White, which seemed a little strange to me also.

They also seemed to be a mannerly, intelligent bunch.

So they need help.

PR should trade 'em a few of our whiny, crazy assholes.

That'd liven things up for 'em.

mraynrand
01-25-2016, 12:48 PM
PR should trade 'em a few of our whiny, crazy assholes..

I'll head over there right now. I doubt you could trade me for a roll of tape.

pbmax
01-25-2016, 01:27 PM
No fanbase gets as many complaints about whiny self-entitlement than the Patriots. Maybe its just a numbers thing, a large number of whiners, but the same mix of thoughtful/emotional as every other team's fanbase.

Though I am pretty sure there would be a website called KickTheBallMike.com if this happened to Green Bay.

mraynrand
01-25-2016, 01:46 PM
No fanbase gets as many complaints about whiny self-entitlement than the Patriots. Maybe its just a numbers thing, a large number of whiners, but the same mix of thoughtful/emotional as every other team's fanbase.

Though I am pretty sure there would be a website called KickTheBallMike.com if this happened to Green Bay.

Considering there's already a KickMikeintheBalls.com I wouldn't be surprised.*

*I might be confusing this with the Zach Ertz website....

Pugger
01-25-2016, 04:36 PM
I suspect there'd be a whole lot of gallows-building going on. I wonder if that's happening on NE forums. . . .

I just looked into a couple of NE forums and there isn't ONE thread on any of 'em calling for Belichick's head. They aren't calling for Arien's head in AZ either.

pbmax
01-25-2016, 04:37 PM
Well in Arizona they are just happy to be there. :lol:

Joemailman
01-25-2016, 04:37 PM
I just looked into a couple of NE forums and there isn't ONE thread on any of 'em calling for Belichick's head. They aren't calling for Arien's head in AZ either.

Why are they okay with losing? Lame.

Freak Out
01-25-2016, 05:20 PM
What are you guys bitching about now?

Joemailman
01-25-2016, 05:25 PM
What are you guys bitching about now?

We're not bitchin' We're discussin'.

Pugger
01-25-2016, 07:24 PM
Also even if you kick the field goal you still have to score a touchdown to win the game. It is still a one score game and it is 4th-1. I think it is a tough call especially in hindsight because the Pats could have kicked 3 field goals and won the game. Silly

Didn't NE get into FG range 3 times later in the game?

ThunderDan
01-25-2016, 07:40 PM
I stil am a little confused why NE didn't kick the FG late in the 4th Quarter with 3 time outs and the two minute warning yet to happen.

Denver looked out of gas and other than the first couple of drives their O looked below average.

Joemailman
01-25-2016, 07:51 PM
I was very surprised when NE went for it with 6 minutes left and 3 TO's left. Kick the field goal, you're within 5 with plenty of time left.

denverYooper
01-25-2016, 09:35 PM

The situation was that up to that 6 minute mark Brady was just getting brutalized and the Patriots offense consisted of 50/50 balls to Gronk along with throws to an RB isolated on Marshall or Trevathan. The only TD they'd mustered up until then was on a short field thanks to the backwards pass from Manning to Hillman. I don't think BB was all that concerned about the Broncos offense, which is why he went for it then when he did. He figured this was the best shot they'd had all day outside of a brain fart by Ronnie Hillman and probably figured they'd get the ball back for at least one more shot if the first one didn't work.

They only needed 1 yard and had a good play on. Chris Harris just made a fantastic play on Edelman to snuff it out.

The Gronk TD was with 12 seconds left in the game. They were in full desperation mode the last 3 drives and finally got one across the goal line.

smuggler
01-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Hoody can survive the scrutiny. Because he's the best coach in the league. The Patriots were lucky to be in the AFC Championship, all things considered. Brady, Gronk, and the Hooded one were the primary reasons for the shot they had.

mraynrand
01-26-2016, 09:10 AM
http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Screen-Shot-2015-12-27-at-1.56.55-PM-294x219.png