PDA

View Full Version : The 2015-16 'OFF SEASON' NFL Happenings Thread

Pages : [1] 2

woodbuck27
01-25-2016, 11:19 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2610244-terrell-sinkfield-cfl-wr-to-vikings-latest-contract-details-and-reaction?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=minnesota-vikings

This won't have any impact on most here yet all the same this speedy WR got a look in Green Bay.

PACKERS !

Joemailman
01-25-2016, 11:44 AM
Eagles sign TE Zach Ertz to a 5 year, 42 million extension through 2021. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000628108/article/eagles-ink-zach-ertz-to-a-5year-42-million-extension

mraynrand
01-25-2016, 11:52 AM
Oh my! Zach Ertz!

Joemailman
01-25-2016, 07:34 PM
Patriots fire offensive line coach. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000628378/article/patriots-fire-offensive-line-coach-dave-deguglielmo

KYPack
01-25-2016, 07:52 PM
Patriots fire offensive line coach. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000628378/article/patriots-fire-offensive-line-coach-dave-deguglielmo

Did they fire the guy at the airport?

Hoody was pissed, I'd say.

13 different starters during the season, 37 different combinations?

I'd say the guy did well just to sort all that out.

19 hits on TB?

That was the stat that counted.

smuggler
01-25-2016, 09:42 PM
I'm really surprised by that. The Pats line was completely jacked this year, yet somehow they still managed to protect Brady pretty well (considering).

Not in this most recent game, obviously... Kind of smacks of reactionism. The Broncos have a better team than the Patriots. Sorry, Hoody.

Deputy Nutz
01-26-2016, 09:03 AM
Packers need to let Peppers go. I know he made the Pro Bowl but he should no longer play OLB. If the Packers want to keep him as a down linemen in pass rushing situations, or play him 20-25 snaps a game I think he could be of service. He played his best football when he had his hand in the ground in 2015.

I don't think free agency will be a factor for the Packers. My mind hurts right now so I don't feel like looking up any one that Packers could actually get for 2016. Plan on a heavy influx of first year players.

mraynrand
01-26-2016, 09:14 AM
If Peppers plays next year it will be Reggie White, Carolina, 2000 territory. He took 2/3 plays off this year - at least. Great athlete who is out of gas.

Patler
01-26-2016, 09:17 AM
Packers need to let Peppers go. I know he made the Pro Bowl but he should no longer play OLB. If the Packers want to keep him as a down linemen in pass rushing situations, or play him 20-25 snaps a game I think he could be of service. He played his best football when he had his hand in the ground in 2015.

I agree, although I would favor keeping him for pass rush situations only. Unlike in 2014, this past year he made no plays in coverage that I can remember.

Rutnstrut
01-26-2016, 12:59 PM
If Peppers plays next year it will be Reggie White, Carolina, 2000 territory. He took 2/3 plays off this year - at least. Great athlete who is out of gas.

Funny you should say that. I was just telling a buddy that is a huge Peppers fan. That if they keep Peppers I think he will end up being a detriment to the team like Reggie was his last year.

Patler
01-26-2016, 01:37 PM
Funny you should say that. I was just telling a buddy that is a huge Peppers fan. That if they keep Peppers I think he will end up being a detriment to the team like Reggie was his last year.

...or Donald Driver in his, at least until they had sense enough to make him inactive for games.

RashanGary
01-26-2016, 02:17 PM
I would keep Peppers. He's a quality pass rusher. No sign of dropping off.

Rutnstrut
01-26-2016, 06:57 PM
I would keep Peppers. He's a quality pass rusher. No sign of dropping off.

That is on the 5 plays a game that he goes all in.

pbmax
01-28-2016, 10:09 PM
Patriots lose another assistant coach. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/28/report-patrick-graham-leaving-pats-to-become-giants-defensive-line-coach/

The way PFT reads sounds like he left the Pats. Was their LB coach for a year, then 2 years on D line, then another year with LB.

Going to Giants to coach the D line.

Previously they fired the O Line coach, Dave DeGuglielmo and their Strength and PEDS coach, Harold Nash.

King Friday
01-28-2016, 10:48 PM

The thing is...if we dump Peppers, we can use his money to actually acquire a quality YOUNG free agent who can help the team for years to come. I'm not sure that I agree he will be a detriment, but there was a clear drop-off in his play from last season to this season. He still had the sacks, but last year the guy was knocking down passes every game and grabbing INTs. You didn't see anything like that AT ALL this season. In fact, this was the first season that Peppers did not record a pass defensed the entire season in his career. It was also his career low in solo tackles.

He ain't going to suddenly get better...and is more than likely to decline at an accelerated rate going forward. He's not worth the money owed to him for 2016-17. The guy has put together a hell of a career, though.

pbmax
01-28-2016, 10:52 PM
He might be old, but 10.5 sacks is nothing to sneeze at. Plus he still plays the run.

Fritz
01-29-2016, 05:13 AM
So would you rather re-sign Perry AND Neal and drop Peppers, or keep Peppers and be able to re-sign only one of them?

Or drop Peppers and re-sign Raji?

mraynrand
01-29-2016, 07:24 AM
So would you rather re-sign Perry AND Neal and drop Peppers, or keep Peppers and be able to re-sign only one of them?

Or drop Peppers and re-sign Raji?

Raji Perry is better than a pick or sack by pickled Peppers

pbmax
01-29-2016, 07:44 AM
I say you keep Peppers and make him situational, even if he needs to start to be happy (just guessing there). Helps pass rush and is solid in run even if coverage is on downside.

You keep Perry if you are optimistic about his shoulder, if not then keep Neal. This assumes each can be had for a modest 3 year deal.

I would actually prefer Guion as someone had his numbers being 20% better versus the run than Raji. You stick Guion and Pennell in and both guys can collapse the middle and both are taller than Raji so deflected passes might increase. But Guion, younger and more pass rush, might be more expensive. Raji as fall back is OK.

Then you need to find an ILB somewhere to allow Matthews to roam, mainly get out of coverage.

Bonus, find pass rushing OLB somewhere or find the key you lost to Mulumba last year. Mulumba should be an octopus like Neal out there.

Joemailman
01-29-2016, 09:59 AM
Raiders talking to Sands owner Sheldon Adelson about moving to Las Vegas. http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/29/oakland-raiders-relocation-unlv-las-vegas Adelson has a net worth of about 28 billion.

Joemailman
01-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Chargers will play in San Diego in 2016. They retain option to move to L.A. in 2017. Spanos buying time to work out a stadium deal in San Diego.

pbmax
01-30-2016, 07:29 AM
I hope that happens, though it probably more leverage to squeeze more money out of San Diego.

Joemailman
01-30-2016, 07:37 AM
I hope that happens, though it probably more leverage to squeeze more money out of San Diego.

There has been talk of a ballot initiative either in the June primary or November general election.

Guiness
01-30-2016, 02:44 PM
Chargers will play in San Diego in 2016. They retain option to move to L.A. in 2017. Spanos buying time to work out a stadium deal in San Diego.

Don't know what to make of that. What are the chances the fans see it as a lame duck season and don't show up? I thought their move to LA was a done deal, is this just prolonging the inevitable?

Guiness
01-30-2016, 02:47 PM
The train wreck that is Manziel continues.

Another incident with a girlfriend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/30/police-deal-with-another-incident-between-manziel-girlfriend/

During which the police decided they needed to scramble a helicopter to find him
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/30/police-searched-for-manziel-with-helicopter/

pbmax
01-30-2016, 06:02 PM
Good grief. That might be the end if there is anything to it.

Joemailman
01-30-2016, 06:22 PM
When will it occur to the Browns that you don't want your starting QB to be a guy who constantly makes bad decisions? I think Hue Jackson gets it, but not the Browns front office yet.

KYPack
01-30-2016, 08:28 PM
This kid might just be totally insane.

He should have destroyed his cell phone when shit like this happens.

mraynrand
01-31-2016, 11:09 AM
When will it occur to the Browns that you don't want your starting QB to be a guy who constantly makes bad decisions? I think Hue Jackson gets it, but not the Browns front office yet.

That wasn't a 'front office' pick - it was an owner pick (so I've heard). And the same source(s) say the owner was relaying 'play Johnny' instructions via the now fired 'GM.'

Cleveland is a tire fire because of the owner. If he stops meddling, they might improve.

Joemailman
01-31-2016, 12:06 PM
That wasn't a 'front office' pick - it was an owner pick (so I've heard). And the same source(s) say the owner was relaying 'play Johnny' instructions via the now fired 'GM.'

Cleveland is a tire fire because of the owner. If he stops meddling, they might improve.

When I said front office I was including the owner. Because he does meddle.

Joemailman
01-31-2016, 08:08 PM
Report Calvin Johnson is retiring at age 30. Playing for the Lions will do that to you. http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/31/calvin-johnson-detroit-lions-retirement

Lions will suddenly have a lot of cap room.

woodbuck27
01-31-2016, 08:52 PM
Don't know what to make of that. What are the chances the fans see it as a lame duck season and don't show up? I thought their move to LA was a done deal, is this just prolonging the inevitable?

woodbuck27: I'm not finding much on this in terms of the Chargers decision to play flip - flop and potentially flip again. I would think that many loyal San Diego Charger fans will be pissed and let go of their support for their team but what proportion will that be and will ticket buyers replace them?

I expect so. The NFL is a 'hot ticket'.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jan/12/chargers-leaving-san-diego-moving-to-los-angeles/

Chargers stadium

After all that, Chargers to stay – for now

Rams to LA; Chargers get one year to negotiate in San Diego

By Kevin Acee and David Garrick | 5:40 p.m. Jan. 12, 2016 | Updated, 9:47 p.m.

" While experts say the economic damage of the Chargers leaving would probably be minor at the most, San Diego’s image could have suffered outside the city and local community pride could have taken a hit, especially among the team’s more enthusiastic fans.

The Chargers’ departure would leave San Diego with only one franchise among the nation’s four major sports leagues: the Padres. The Clippers’ departure in 1984 cost the city its NBA franchise, and San Diego has never had an NHL team. "

woodbuck27
01-31-2016, 09:18 PM
Report Calvin Johnson is retiring at age 30. Playing for the Lions will do that to you. http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/31/calvin-johnson-detroit-lions-retirement

Lions will suddenly have a lot of cap room.

WOW ! Injuries caught up to Calvin Johnson. He was fun and sometimes scary to watch.

**I wasn't so long ago that he had a monster season ( 2012 Season - 122 Receptions for 1984 Yards ( 16.1 YPC and 122 T/G and yet 'only 5 TD's'.

** The following Season or 2013 Megatron had 12 TD's in 14 games on 84 Receptions for 1,492 Yards (17.8 Y/R and 106.6

** He had a whomping 16 TD's in the 2011 Season. He score 12 TD's in each of the 2008 and 2010 Seasons.

If he does retire (and stay retired) he'll have a grand total Of 83 TD's in a 9 year career spanning the 2007-2015 Seasons.

Joemailman
02-01-2016, 05:42 PM
Justin Tuck announces retirement. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000630928/article/justin-tuck-announces-retirement-after-11-seasons

Joemailman
02-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Browns will release Johnny Manziel in March.

Browns director of football operations Sashi Brown released a statement on Manziel’s latest incident Tuesday.

“We've been clear about expectations for our players on and off the field,” Brown said. “Johnny's continual involvement in incidents that run counter to those expectations undermines the hard work of his teammates and the reputation of our organization. His status with our team will be addressed when permitted by league rules.”

woodbuck27
02-02-2016, 07:14 PM
Browns will release Johnny Manziel in March.

Hello then for St. Patrick's Day.

smuggler
02-02-2016, 11:55 PM
Maybe the Leos can cut him and we can play him to play TE

Tony Oday
02-03-2016, 08:52 AM
Megatron will be a Packer.

Fritz
02-03-2016, 10:51 AM
Megatron will be a Packer.

The Lions would have to terminate their rights to Johnson. That's probably not going to happen.

Upnorth
02-03-2016, 11:16 AM
The Lions would have to terminate their rights to Johnson. That's probably not going to happen.
Even if they did, who believes we would pay what he could get on the open market???

woodbuck27
02-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Justin Tuck announces retirement. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000630928/article/justin-tuck-announces-retirement-after-11-seasons

I recall the exact moment when I learned that Justin Tuck was to become a NY Giant and came to realize just how very much the fruits of that 2005 Draft would mean to Packer fans.

I was a participant with many still current Packer fans and Packerrats when in Round 3 DE Justin Tuck (Notre Dame) was selected @ Pick NO.74 overall.....and arguably the finest pick in that Round

NOTE:

Frank Gore went early in Rd. 3 @ NO. 65 overall and after TT used his second pick in Round 2 @ NO. 58 overall to select WR Terrence Murphy - Texas A & M.. He of such bad fortune as would be the case and subsequent demise of FS Nick Collins.

** I recall the reaction to who TT selected in Round 2 @ Pick # 51 or....the Green Bay Packers picked FS Nick Collins, from Bethune-Cookman. I imagined that the cry of who? and from where? was ringing out all over Packer Nation.

Who dat guy !? :-)

woodbuck27
02-04-2016, 10:42 AM
woodbuck27: Watching the other team. A Head's Up !

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/2/3/10904884/minnesota-vikings-derrick-henry-2016-nfl-draft

Report: Minnesota Vikings Interested In Drafting Derrick Henry?

By Christopher Gates  @DailyNorseman on Feb 3, 2016, 9:47AM

University of Alabama running back Derrick Henry, the 2015 Heisman Trophy winner.

" Two player-team connections I've heard so far that may be the pick if this player falls to their spot: RB Derrick Henry to the Vikings (surprising, but not without reason if they feel he's one of the few first-round prospects) and OT Jack Conklin to the Colts."

woodbuck27
02-05-2016, 09:21 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000633101/article/matt-forte-on-future-i-want-to-be-in-super-bowls

Matt Forte on future: 'I want to be in Super Bowls'

By: Chris Wesseling ... Around the NFL Writer

Published: Feb. 5, 2016 at 07:06 p.m. ... Updated: Feb. 5, 2016 at 07:19 p.m

As of early December, the Bears had not offered the impending free agent a new contract, which means the 30-year-old running back is likely heading to the open market.

Appearing on Friday's edition of NFL Network's Super Bowl Live, Forte suggested that he would be willing to take less money to join a Super Bowl contender in 2016.

"It's not even about the money," Forte emphasized. "I want to be in the Super Bowls."

woodbuck27:

Here's the solution to any Eddie Lacy Issue (s).

I hope TT is paying attention or Mike McCarthy is paying attention or the Packers RB Coach is paying attention because...... I bet Packer Nation is paying attention.

Matt Forte is a very slid RB. He can run inside or outside and he can catch the ball and advance it up field after the catch. I'm excited that TT might try to land this solid RB. Matt Forte and Eddie Lacy in our backfield. Aaron Rodgers would be ecstatic.

denverYooper
02-05-2016, 09:47 PM
Translation: he wants to play for Green Bay.

mraynrand
02-05-2016, 09:57 PM
Matt Forte is a very slid RB.

Indeed. He's a little old. Can't believe TT would spend significant money on a RB on the downside of his career.

Rutnstrut
02-06-2016, 01:56 PM
Indeed. He's a little old. Can't believe TT would spend significant money on a RB on the downside of his career.

Besides that he's a well known, proven player. TT's style is a no name street FA that went to the U of BFE.

Joemailman
02-16-2016, 08:01 PM
Patriots LB Jerrod Mayo retires. He finished the year on IR for the 3rd straight year. http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/16/jerod-mayo-retires-new-england-patriots

pbmax
02-16-2016, 09:30 PM
Patriots LB Jerrod Mayo retires. He finished the year on IR for the 3rd straight year. http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/16/jerod-mayo-retires-new-england-patriots

Brutal. He was a big piece that helped restore Hoody's defense after he went through a drought trying to rebuild it.

smuggler
02-16-2016, 09:51 PM
Mayo spent a long time being a tease and then finally grew into the hype. Fast forward two seasons and his body was disintegrating. Football is a harsh lover.

pbmax
02-17-2016, 10:20 AM
JS Comments ‏@JSComments 6m6 minutes ago
Not a single comment worthy of @JSComments. Disappointing.

Red! Quit slacking off!

pbmax
02-17-2016, 10:23 AM
JS Comments ‏@JSComments 6m6 minutes ago
Not a single comment worthy of @JSComments. Disappointing.

Red! Quit slacking off!

Problem solved!

JS Comments ‏@JSComments 22m22 minutes ago
Sadly,, Ted best move was a HUGE no brainer,Drafting Aaron Rodgers

King Friday
02-17-2016, 05:56 PM

Everyone said the same thing about us getting Julius Peppers too. I think Thompson may tend to take a flier on a guy like Peppers or Forte more when they previously played for another team in the division, where he saw the guy perform twice a year against his guys.

Forte is a perfect fit for this offense right now. We need a capable receiving threat out of the backfield, and Forte can still provide that in abundance for a couple more years. Forte isn't a guy who can handle a 200+ carry workload anymore, so platooning would help extend his career. I just can't see many teams throwing money at Forte, and he's only going to consider going to a handful of teams. The price may be good enough to tempt Thompson to take a hard look...and the Packers are clearly pissed off at Lacy enough to view a capable insurance policy as necessary.

Pugger
02-17-2016, 06:13 PM
Problem solved!

JS Comments ‏@JSComments 22m22 minutes ago
Sadly,, Ted best move was a HUGE no brainer,Drafting Aaron Rodgers

But was it really? Rodgers was not going to be an impact player for us with Favre starting. I recall many loudly groaned when Ted picked Rodgers, decrying how we needed weapons for Favre. Ted was drafting for the future, what he still does much to the chagrin of many fans.

pbmax
02-17-2016, 06:18 PM
But was it really? Rodgers was not going to be an impact player for us with Favre starting. I recall many loudly groaned when Ted picked Rodgers, decrying how we needed weapons for Favre. Ted was drafting for the future, what he still does much to the chagrin of many fans.

The problem that was solved was someone saying something completely at odds with reality.

Pugger
02-18-2016, 06:14 AM
The problem that was solved was someone saying something completely at odds with reality.

What do you mean? :?:

pbmax
02-18-2016, 08:59 AM
What do you mean? :?:

The JSOComments Twitter account posts the dumbest things they can find posted as comments on the Journal Sentinel website. He posted the other day that there was nothing worthy of broadcasting (dumb enough to Tweet).

Shortly after they posted that, they found the Rodgers comment (no brainer to draft him) and they were back in business. That was the problem (JSO Comment's lack of material) that I was joking about being solved.

FWIW, drafting Rodgers was seen as great value but most fans were bewildered about taking a QB in Round 1 when there were so many other needs. So while it was probably a slam dunk from Ted's perspective, no fan thought it was the obvious move at the time. That is hindsight talking, which is what makes that comment truly stupid.

Joemailman
02-18-2016, 06:32 PM
Jared Allen announces his retirement. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000637002/article/jared-allen-announces-retirement-after-12-seasons

Always respected that guy. Always played hard no matter what the score.

KYPack
02-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Played in the SB with a broken foot.

A 3 down, bust his ass player for his whole career.

A true gamer and hard core party guy, he was old school all the way.

pbmax
02-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Los Angeles Rams ‏@RamsNFL
Rams release @JLaurinaitis55, @JOEL9ONE and @JaredCook89

That is TE Jared Cook, DE Chris Long and ILB James Laurinaitis. All available without pick compensation. Let the hectoring commence!

denverYooper
02-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Los Angeles Rams ‏@RamsNFL
Rams release @JLaurinaitis55, @JOEL9ONE and @JaredCook89

That is TE Jared Cook, DE Chris Long and ILB James Laurinaitis. All available without pick compensation. Let the hectoring commence!

Cook or Laurinaitis could fill immediate needs in GB. Long's a very good player and I wouldn't get too upset if the Packers signed him but he might be the most expensive and the least need. I won't be surprised if he goes to Chicago. Fangio would know him somewhat and he'd be a good fit there.

Cook could be Finley in GB's offense, 10 cent head and all, and he might be interesting as a pairing with the Rodgerses. I'd imagine Sirimans will have some in-depth intel on him.

Joemailman
02-19-2016, 07:03 PM
Laurinaitis is interesting. His numbers have been down lately from what they were earlier in his career, so I don't know if he's declining. Rams cleared 5.5 million in cap space by releasing him, so that might be the main reason the cut him, not necessarily his performance.

Cook was a real disappointment last season.

pbmax
02-19-2016, 07:43 PM
Long claimed in his statement that he has been playing terribly for 2 years. Haven't seen anything on the other two.

mraynrand
02-19-2016, 10:27 PM
That is TE Jared Cook

6 targets, 1 reception, 8 yards. Finleyesque!

woodbuck27
02-19-2016, 10:53 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2617840-stephen-tulloch-to-be-released-by-lions-latest-details-comments-and- reaction?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Stephen Tulloch to Be Released by Lions: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

By: Matt Fitzgerald , Featured Columnist ... Feb 18, 2016

" Per Spotrac, Tulloch would have been a $7.3 million cap hit in 2016. The Lions will save $6 million in cap space by letting him go, since the dead cap penalty is only $1.3 million. ... "

" The 31-year-old missed 13 games in 2014 because of a torn ACL he suffered celebrating a sack. Otherwise he's proved to be a productive, savvy veteran who started all 16 games for the Lions this past year, registering 107 combined tackles, one sack and one forced fumble." .... "

woodbuck27
02-19-2016, 11:13 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2617630-insider-buzz-jaguars-planning-free-agency-splurge-targeting-top-pass-rushers?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Insider Buzz: Jaguars Planning Free-Agency Splurge, Targeting Top Pass-Rushers

By Team Stream Now , B/R Video Feb 18, 2016

" According to multiple sources around the league, the Jacksonville Jaguars are expected to be huge spenders in the free-agent market this offseason.

Who are some of the Jaguars' top targets? Why are they focused primarily on premium pass-rushers? "

Joemailman
02-20-2016, 08:21 AM
Randy Gregory of Dallas suspended 4 games for substance abuse. He failed a drug test at the Combine and is now suspended after his rookie year. Nothing like getting your career off to a good start.

pbmax
02-20-2016, 08:37 AM
Wasn't Gregory one of the red flag guys before the draft?

Are teams dumping players earlier than normal or was it just the few announcements this week make it seem that way? Lions actually have some cap sanity this year and Tulloch seems to have been released because of age. Rams didn't seem to be in trouble either.

Joemailman
02-20-2016, 09:33 AM

Are teams dumping players earlier than normal or was it just the few announcements this week make it seem that way? Lions actually have some cap sanity this year and Tulloch seems to have been released because of age. Rams didn't seem to be in trouble either.

Gregory would have been a 1st round pick if not for the red flags.

I wonder if the Rams are clearing cap space to make a big splash in FA to sell the team to the new fans. Peyton Manning maybe?

Joemailman
02-20-2016, 09:47 AM
8 teams have more than 40 million in cap space. Could be a crazy free agency season. :drma:

mraynrand
02-20-2016, 09:48 AM
8 teams have more than 40 million in cap space. Could be a crazy free agency season. :drma:

That's like 200 million dollars or so! You could sign a starting pitcher with that kind of cash!

KYPack
02-20-2016, 01:03 PM

Tested + for weed AT THE COMBINE.

What is the NFL gonna do now that weed is totally legal in 2 towns and basically legal in 3 others?

pbmax
02-21-2016, 11:52 AM

What is the NFL gonna do now that weed is totally legal in 2 towns and basically legal in 3 others?

Right now they are claiming their medical people (who the NFL love to refer to as scientists, which is not true in most cases) it should still be illegal. So they will do nothing.

mraynrand
02-21-2016, 12:34 PM

what do airline pilots do?

Patler
02-21-2016, 01:06 PM
Right now they are claiming their medical people (who the NFL love to refer to as scientists, which is not true in most cases) it should still be illegal. So they will do nothing.

I thought the NFL position was that legal or not, the league can still prohibit it's use in their workplace as a controlled substance under federal law.

pbmax
02-21-2016, 02:20 PM
I thought the NFL position was that legal or not, the league can still prohibit it's use in their workplace as a controlled substance under federal law.

Of course. They could also stop testing for it under the Drug and Alcohol Policy. They could also still suspend players if they commit a crime by possessing the pot in a location where its still illegal.

My point wasn't that the NFL is on shaky ground, my point was they are not interested in making any change at all.

pbmax
02-21-2016, 02:21 PM
what do airline pilots do?

Smoke in the states where its legal? Drink in counties where its legal? Just do so after hours and not get caught on a drug test I suppose.

pbmax
02-23-2016, 08:30 AM
Salary Cap Might Be Moving Up Again. NFLPA found and arbitrator agreed that withheld gate receipts should have been in the calculation for salary cap purposes, but were not.

http://deadspin.com/report-arbitrator-rules-nfl-hid-as-much-as-120-millio-1760717473

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/22/arbitrator-forces-nfl-to-return-more-than-100-million-to-salary-pool/

As explained by Futterman, the controversy arose from a term in the labor deal that allows teams to exclude certain sums from the vat of money that determines the salary cap. Burbank found that the league created another category of funds that isn’t contemplated by the CBA. Since the money didn’t fit into any of the recognized categories, the money should have been included in the pool that determines the salary cap [but wasn't].

The NFLPA understandably characterizes the issue as catching the league trying to pull a fast one. The league understandably says it was an accident. The bottom line is that millions will now flow from the league to the players, driving up the salary cap by at least $1.5 million for each of the league’s 32 teams.

Deputy Nutz
02-23-2016, 09:13 AM
Of course. They could also stop testing for it under the Drug and Alcohol Policy. They could also still suspend players if they commit a crime by possessing the pot in a location where its still illegal.

My point wasn't that the NFL is on shaky ground, my point was they are not interested in making any change at all.

I am growing old with all this nonsense about weed. The NFL needs to stop testing for it, and consider it no more harmful than alcohol.

Patler
02-23-2016, 10:37 AM
I am growing old with all this nonsense about weed. The NFL needs to stop testing for it, and consider it no more harmful than alcohol.

Do you really care? I couldn't care less bout what rules and restrictions they put in place. They can ban refined sugar for all I care.

mraynrand
02-23-2016, 11:21 AM
Smoke in the states where its legal? Drink in counties where its legal? Just do so after hours and not get caught on a drug test I suppose.

Ya, essentially play by the rules.

woodbuck27
02-23-2016, 10:22 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2617269-nfl-teams-that-have-the-most-work-to-do-before-free-agency?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=minnesota-vikings

NFL Teams That Have the Most Work to Do Before Free Agency

By Russell S. Baxter , Featured Columnist

Feb 23, 2016

woodbuck27
02-24-2016, 10:45 PM
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Mayock-Looks-Ahead-To-Vikings-Later-Draft-Options/2b2b296d-c553-428e-9932-aaa0165b9385?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=minnesota-Vikings

Mayock Looks Ahead To Vikings Later Draft Options

Posted Feb 23, 2016

and:

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/18095/minnesota-vikings-should-focus-on-offensive-line-receiver-at-nfl-combine?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=minnesota-Vikings

Minnesota Vikings should focus on offensive line, receiver at NFL combine

The Vikings are looking to upgrade their offensive line when they replaced coach Jeff Davidson with Tony Sparano. They'll look for help for a group that allowed quarterback Teddy Bridgewater to be pressured on almost one-third of his dropbacks last season.

They also could look for help at wide receiver, especially if they decide to move on from Mike Wallace rather than paying him $11.5 million next season.

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !

pbmax
02-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m3 minutes ago
NFL and NFLPA have agreed that the per-team salary cap for the 2016 season will be slightly above $155 million, per @Edwerderespn.

woodbuck27
02-26-2016, 08:13 PM
NFL and NFLPA have agreed that the per-team salary cap for the 2016 season will be slightly above $155 million, per @Edwerderespn.

Up from $143.28 million or a 8.18 % Increase.

woodbuck27
02-26-2016, 09:11 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2016/2/26/11114736/2016-nfl-draft-prospect-tracker-who-the-pittsburgh-steelers-have-met

2016 NFL Draft Prospect Tracker: Who the Pittsburgh Steelers have met with leading up to the draft

By: Jeff.Hartman  @BnGBlitz on Feb 26, 2016, 5:15 AM

Note:

The Steelers pick two positions before the Packers at NO. 25.

pbmax
02-29-2016, 03:17 PM
Alston Jeffrey (Jeffery?) has been tagged.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 1m1 minute ago
Only franchise paperwork officially in on franchise/transition tag thus far is Alshon jeffery w/the Bears. That has been filed

Patler
02-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Alston Jeffrey (Jeffery?) has been tagged.

(Alshon?) :)

Guiness
02-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Up from $143.28 million or a 8.18 % Increase.

Top of the heap QB's are suddenly underpaid again, and there's a good chance the Ravens pay Flacco's contract as-is.

woodbuck27
02-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Top of the heap QB's are suddenly underpaid again, and there's a good chance the Ravens pay Flacco's contract as-is.

Good GOD!

I hope I don't read that 'in a Headline' Guiness.

Patler
02-29-2016, 07:10 PM
Brady signed a two year extension today, through 2019, when he will be 42.

pbmax
03-01-2016, 07:41 AM
Joe Person ‏@josephperson 37m37 minutes ago
AM repost: Panthers expected to tag Josh Norman today at cost of $13.95M. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article63201022.html …

pbmax
03-01-2016, 08:00 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3h3 hours ago
NFL expects no changes to catch rule this year http://wp.me/p14QSB-9ZBH

Welcome to Schrodinger's Catch.

pbmax
03-01-2016, 08:02 AM
Peyton Manning retirement decision now isn't expected this week http://wp.me/p14QSB-9ZBD

PEYTON WOULD REALLY BE ENCOURAGED TO WORKOUT IF THE BRONCOS COULD SIGN RANDY MOSS

pbmax
03-01-2016, 08:10 AM
Football Perspective ‏@fbgchase 33m33 minutes ago
2008 was the last season Jeff Fisher lost a playoff game. Same goes for Tom Coughlin.

THEY ARE NEGOTIATING A CONTRACT EXTENSION FOR FISH. ANYONE HAVE SOME FREE TIME TO LOOK UP OLD TOP 10 COACHES LISTS ON THIS SITE? HE IS ON A BUNCH OF THEM, PROBABLY INCLUDING MINE.

Striker
03-01-2016, 10:00 AM
2008 was the last season Jeff Fisher lost a playoff game. Same goes for Tom Coughlin.

THEY ARE NEGOTIATING A CONTRACT EXTENSION FOR FISH. ANYONE HAVE SOME FREE TIME TO LOOK UP OLD TOP 10 COACHES LISTS ON THIS SITE? HE IS ON A BUNCH OF THEM, PROBABLY INCLUDING MINE.

Beat your heated rivals at least once a year. Continue despite a record of utter mediocrity.

pbmax
03-01-2016, 10:07 AM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 2m2 minutes ago
Thus far Jeffery and Wilkerson are the only players with filed paperwork for franchise tags but many more letters are on the way today

pbmax
03-01-2016, 10:07 AM
Beat your heated rivals at least once a year. Continue despite a record of utter mediocrity.

He is your coach if you literally believe that appearance and rhetoric are the most important aspects.

pbmax
03-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Dolphins placed transition tag on Olivier Vernon.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 7m7 minutes ago
3 franchise tags are filed: #Ravens Justin Tucker; #Jets Mo Wilkerson; #Bears Alshon Jeffery. 1 transition tag: #Dolphins Olivier Vernon

Gregg Rosenthal ‏@greggrosenthal 16m16 minutes ago
Placing tag on Vernon raises more questions about future of Grimes, Jordan Cameron, and Wake in Miami.

woodbuck27
03-01-2016, 11:18 AM

I wonder if RAM fans are really happy excited over this news?

pbmax
03-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 29m29 minutes ago
The Broncos have officially placed the exclusive franchise tag on Von Miller, as expected. Paperwork has been filed

Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania621 4m4 minutes ago
As just reported on @1067theFan - per @granthpaulsen the #Redskins are placing the franchise tag on @KirkCousins8 for 2016.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2m2 minutes ago
Report: Mario Williams released by Bills http://wp.me/p14QSB-9ZD5

woodbuck27
03-01-2016, 11:47 AM
Peyton Manning retirement decision now isn't expected this week http://wp.me/p14QSB-9ZBD

PEYTON WOULD REALLY BE ENCOURAGED TO WORKOUT IF THE BRONCOS COULD SIGN RANDY MOSS

It's right here:

Peyton Manning doesn't as of now own all the most important passing records and he wants to get right there. It's his ego because how much more notoriety does he expect to gain by extending his number of records Vs fans recognizing after winning another Super Bowl Title and given his age and decline in a TOP Organization. To decide to go on is equivalent to blowing away the Golden Goose of best retirement opportunities.

This whole thing is now looking worse than the negative impact of Brett Favres I'm retiring and I'm not retiring repeats that was so annoying to many fans and NFL media.

The 'only' gain for Peyton Manning is a 'no gain' and to continue is an obvious downslide from now and retiring at the top. You can never underestimate the tragic results incumbent on any man who pushes with a huge ego.

For this NFL fan:

This is an interesting watch. I hope that Peyton Manning is getting good advice and he's actually as intelligent as we are led to believe.

Hypothetically....if I was advising Peyton on his request to do so. It would be blunt:

I'd simply ask Peyton Manning: What's the delay Peyton? A retirement decision and announcement should have been made last week....OK yesterday. Peyton do the exact correct thing for your legacy....RETIRE for good from the NFL as an active player. A decision to go on can only harm you in terms of the Big Picture. You've got it all right now so grab onto that.....RETIRE !

It's too easy to see that Peyton's intelligence is a tad wobbly at this time.

"Manning’s slow pace of resolving his position on whether he’ll play could mean that Manning will request a release in lieu of retiring, so that he can consider other options elsewhere, now or later in the offseason

If other teams are interested, they’re keeping their cards close to the vest. Four weeks ago, a report emerged that the Rams could be interested in Manning. Since then, there has been no report or speculation of any other team wanting to add Manning for what would be both a debut season and, most likely, a farewell tour."

Final Comment ..... woodbuck27:

I've always observed and claimed that observation that that Peyton Manning is all about Peyton Manning. We're about to find out if I'm correct. I won't be at all surprized if Peyton Manning is playing for some desperate to win NFL team next season. If that's the case we'll see the results of failing to greed.

pbmax
03-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 12m12 minutes ago
Bills OT Cordy Glenn's tag officially filed, non-exclusive.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 16m16 minutes ago
Panthers put the franchise tag on cornerback Josh Norman http://wp.me/p14QSB-9ZD4

woodbuck27
03-01-2016, 12:15 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/01/report-mario-williams-released-by-bills/

23 Minutes ago:

Report: Mario Williams released by Bills

Posted by Josh Alper on March 1, 2016, 12:52 PM EST

pbmax
03-01-2016, 03:30 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Eagles gave QB Sam Bradford a two-year, $36 million deal, including $26 million guaranteed, per source.

woodbuck27
03-01-2016, 05:02 PM
Eagles gave QB Sam Bradford a two-year, $36 million deal, including $26 million guaranteed, per source.

Does that fall into the category - "Good into Bad'?

I'm not impressed with his career progress to date.

All the same....I wish him and the Eagles success as his career is extended with that team.

run pMc
03-01-2016, 07:06 PM

Wow. Just...wow. That's a lot of money for a QB with mediocre track record and a lot of injuries. What do you think Osweiler is going to ask for?

Smidgeon
03-01-2016, 09:28 PM
Maybe I'm living in a box, but has anyone topped Rodgers' deal yet?

I almost get the feeling teams aren't willing to pay more yet, being able to say "well, you aren't as good as Rodgers..." in negotiations. In other words, he's still the top end of negotiations.

Joemailman
03-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Maybe I'm living in a box, but has anyone topped Rodgers' deal yet?

I almost get the feeling teams aren't willing to pay more yet, being able to say "well, you aren't as good as Rodgers..." in negotiations. In other words, he's still the top end of negotiations.

Several are just below Rodgers. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/quarterback/

It will stay that way as all the top guys are extended for several years.

pbmax
03-02-2016, 10:30 AM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 9m9 minutes ago
Flacco already earned $62M in the first three years of his existing deal; with guaranteed $$ in new deal figures will soar...

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 7m7 minutes ago
Full details aren't yet available on Joe Flacco's contract extension, but I'm told Flacco got a $40M signing bonus. Not bad.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 7m7 minutes ago
Would expect Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck to be doing cartwheels after seeing the Flacco re-do, plus Bradford and Cousins deals last 24hrs

call_me_ishmael
03-02-2016, 10:38 AM
Andy Luck will exceed Rodgers very soon.

Patler
03-02-2016, 11:03 AM
Andy Luck will exceed Rodgers very soon.

...as will all of the other young, decent QBs very soon. The salary cap for 2016 ($155.3M) is 25% higher than it was in 2013 ($123M), when Rogers signed his extension. Any QB extending long into the future will get a very large number with 2016 being the base they extend from. With the way the cap has increased, no one stays on top of the list for more than a few years, unless he, too, is extended.

pbmax
03-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@SandoESPN 31m31 minutes ago
#Ravens during Flacco era are 14th in QBR, 17th in passer rating, 1st in defensive EPA, 2nd in points allowed. T-6th in wins.

ELITE!

Patler
03-02-2016, 11:17 AM
Wow. Just...wow. That's a lot of money for a QB with mediocre track record and a lot of injuries.

A lot of money? Yes, but maybe not in the context of an NFL payroll in 2016/17. $36 million is less than 12% of the salary cap for the next two years.

pbmax
03-02-2016, 11:17 AM
...as will all of the other young, decent QBs very soon. The salary cap for 2016 ($155.3M) is 25% higher than it was in 2013 ($123M), when Rogers signed his extension. Any QB extending long into the future will get a very large number with 2016 being the base they extend from. With the way the cap has increased, no one stays on top of the list for more than a few years, unless he, too, is extended.

The best part of his deal now is that with the cap increasing nicely, his cap number goes up a mil each year. From $18.25 mil last year to $19.25 in 2016, to $20.3, $20.9 and $21.1.

Patler
03-02-2016, 11:27 AM
The best part of his deal now is that with the cap increasing nicely, his cap number goes up a mil each year. From $18.25 mil last year to $19.25 in 2016, to $20.3, $20.9 and $21.1.

The Packers have done a real nice job with both Favre and Rodgers, making each the highest paid at one point, but with contracts that didn't cripple the team; mostly due to keeping dead cap amounts small and not overpaying very many players. That has allowed them to sign others to good contracts as well.

pbmax
03-02-2016, 11:48 AM
Browns C Alex Mack is voiding the 3 years remaining on his contract and is set to become a free agent, per source. One more free agent OL.

Cheesehead Craig
03-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Browns C Alex Mack is voiding the 3 years remaining on his contract and is set to become a free agent, per source. One more free agent OL.

Smart agent there putting that clause in given the dumpster fire that Cleveland is and gave his client an out to go actually play for a real team. Should be known as the "Cleveland Clause" going forward.

I haven't heard of a player opting out with 3 years left before. Anyone else?

Rastak
03-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Smart agent there putting that clause in given the dumpster fire that Cleveland is and gave his client an out to go actually play for a real team. Should be known as the "Cleveland Clause" going forward.

I haven't heard of a player opting out with 3 years left before. Anyone else?

I *think* and I could be wrong but the contract was the result of them matching a transition tag offer by another team.

edit: Yes, they matched the Jags offer which included that language.

"The Cleveland Browns matched the five-year offer sheet that center Alex Mack signed earlier Friday with the Jacksonville Jaguars." - ESPN

woodbuck27
03-02-2016, 09:22 PM
http://247sports.com/Bolt/Alex-Mack-voids-his-contract-with-Cleveland-44040169

Alex Mack voids his contract with Cleveland

Josh Edwards - 9 hours ago

Whoops:

pbmax got this on the thread in the form of a tweet.

woodbuck27
03-02-2016, 09:43 PM
http://247sports.com/Bolt/Patriots-release-vets-Brandon-LaFell-Scott-Chandler-44045261

Patriots release vet WR's Brandon LaFell, Scott Chandler

Oliver Thomas - 5 hours ago

Whenever I see WR Brandon Lafell play he seems more than just decent to me. I've seen him look very good.

This release may be health related but it surprizes me.

pbmax
03-03-2016, 08:30 AM
I didn't expect this one.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 1m1 minute ago
Panthers announce DE Charles Johnson has been released.

Joemailman
03-03-2016, 08:39 AM
I didn't expect this one.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 1m1 minute ago
Panthers announce DE Charles Johnson has been released.

Panthers clear 11 million in cap space. Johnson missed 7 games in 2015 and had just 5 tackles, 7 assists and 1 sack. Until looking it up, I didn't realize he had declined that much in 2015.

Edit: He did play well in the playoffs, so this likely was probably primarily a salary cap move.

pbmax
03-03-2016, 10:04 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 12s12 seconds ago
The #Texans have released TE Garrett Graham, source said. This was coming, too.

There is a run on releasing mediocre TE vets.

pbmax
03-03-2016, 10:38 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3m3 minutes ago
Ravens release Daryl Smith http://wp.me/p14QSB-9ZIA

ILB, he's 34.

Carolina_Packer
03-03-2016, 10:55 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3m3 minutes ago
Ravens release Daryl Smith http://wp.me/p14QSB-9ZIA

ILB, he's 34.

Does he come with his own oil can to ward off the squeaks and creaks?

Joemailman
03-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Houston releases Arian Foster. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640966/article/houston-texans-release-veteran-rb-arian-foster

Joemailman
03-03-2016, 07:58 PM
Jags release Chris Clemons and now have 83 million in cap space. Don't teams have to have at least 80% of their total cap in contracts for the year? If so, they have to spend about 50 million. They carried over 30+ million last year.

woodbuck27
03-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Jags release Chris Clemons and now have 83 million in cap space. Don't teams have to have at least 80% of their total cap in contracts for the year? If so, they have to spend about 50 million. They carried over 30+ million last year.

Boy...a lot of big name players are on the FA Market now.

Aging Veteran are two words that might be best used to describe their usefulness.

Rutnstrut
03-03-2016, 10:24 PM
There are some interesting players out there that could help the Packers. But it's hard to get excited about it. Because there are 3 certainties in life. Death, taxes, and TT refusing to utilize free agency.

woodbuck27
03-04-2016, 02:50 AM
There are some interesting players out there that could help the Packers. But it's hard to get excited about it. Because there are 3 certainties in life. Death, taxes, and TT refusing to utilize free agency.

Ted Thompson has to do something this off season to bolster the DL (the Draft in Round 1) and we have need on the OL and at RB, WR and TE that will be better fixed in FA.

If TT doesn't make a solid move in FA and imagines we'll be just fine. He's kidding 'only himself'.

pbmax
03-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Ted Thompson has to do something this off season to bolster the DL (the Draft in Round 1) and we have need on the OL and at RB, WR and TE that will be better fixed in FA.

If TT doesn't make a solid move in FA and imagines we'll be just fine. He's kidding 'only himself'.

At this point, aren't they really only missing Raji? And get a promising Boyd back?

Of course you would like a talented player in a good spot due to the depth, but its not exactly a crying need is it?

pbmax
03-04-2016, 10:58 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m5 minutes ago
A starter throughout his career, former #Bills CB Leodis McKelvin, 30, will draw interest on a FA market without a ton of corner depth.

pbmax
03-04-2016, 11:11 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 1h1 hour ago
Competition Committee to address low hits on quarterbacks http://bit.ly/1nljC0S

Patler
03-04-2016, 01:48 PM

At this point, aren't they really only missing Raji? And get a promising Boyd back?

Of course you would like a talented player in a good spot due to the depth, but its not exactly a crying need is it?

Plus, they same quite high on Ringo.
(Maybe I shouldn't use "high" when discussing DL. It seems to be an issue for that group.)

woodbuck27
03-04-2016, 05:11 PM

Last season our total 'D; in terms of Y/G was ranked 15th in the NFL in terms of Y/G.

The only team Ranked lower and made the Playoffs was the Washington Redskins.

As it always seems to me to be the Packers have difficulty stopping the run. Once a good team establishes the run Vs the Packers it's an uphill battle.

The Packers 'D' allowed 119.1 Y/G Vs the Rush or Ranked 21st in the NFL. Eight NFC Teams are better Vs the RUSH with NO. 1 Seattle allowing 'only' 81.5 Y/G.

Ten NFC Teams gave up less Rushing TD's than the Packers total of 13. 22 NFL Teams defended better Vs a Rushing TD than the Packers.

Yes we need help on the DL.

pbmax
03-04-2016, 05:42 PM
DL is not the only position group to stop the run. LBs must do their part. Neal and the non-Matthews linebacker could both be upgraded easily and that would help the run D.

Teams ran against the Packers because they had leads since the offense struggled. If the offense returns to form, less pressure on the Run D.

Boyd comes back. They like Ringo and Pennell. Reinforcements are already on their way. They need one but its not my choice for top need on team, nor on D. LB first.

Joemailman
03-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Packers won't be a great run stuffing defense as long as the play nickel and dime as much as they do. It's just not as big a priority to Dom as preventing big passing plays. Even with the outstanding 2010 defense, they were only 18th in rushing yards allowed per game. If Raji is signed, the DL is pretty good. I agree with PB. The key to an improved run defense is better linebacker play.

woodbuck27
03-04-2016, 07:49 PM
DL is not the only position group to stop the run. LBs must do their part. Neal and the non-Matthews linebacker could both be upgraded easily and that would help the run D.

Teams ran against the Packers because they had leads since the offense struggled. If the offense returns to form, less pressure on the Run D.

Boyd comes back. They like Ringo and Pennell. Reinforcements are already on their way. They need one but its not my choice for top need on team, nor on D. LB first.

Ok so looking at the Draft as we see it now. Who is well positioned and plays LBer that TT might feel is a value pick at NO. 27?

The following look like likely candidates for the NO. 27 pick today:

Hunter Henry TE, Arkansas or Cody Whitehair OG , Kansas St. or William Jackson III CB, Houston or Josh Doctson WR, TCU or maybe select on the OL and pick Le'Raven Clark OT, TEXAS TECH

Who do you like amongst these or is there another prospect positioned for a likely TT pick? ie OT Taylor Decker or OLB Darron Lee , Ohio State (he didn't have the Combine performance he might have liked) might still be on the board.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
03-04-2016, 08:02 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2621882-terrell-suggs-arrested-latest-details-comments-and-reaction?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Terrell Suggs Arrested: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

By Tim Daniels , Featured Columnist ...Mar 4, 2016

" Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs was reportedly arrested at a restaurant in Scottsdale, Arizona, early Friday for leaving the scene of an accident and driving on a suspended license, according to the Baltimore Sun's Jeff Zrebiec. He was booked and released on citation overnight."

woodbuck27
03-05-2016, 02:10 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2621322-the-race-is-on-to-sign-robert-griffin-iii-with-at-least-10-teams-in-the-running

The Race Is on to Sign Robert Griffin III, with at Least 10 Teams in the Running

By: Mike Freeman , NFL National Lead Writer

March 4, 2016

Fritz
03-05-2016, 09:26 AM
If RG III is coveted, does that mean Johnny Manziel will be a hot property, too?

smuggler
03-05-2016, 09:52 AM
No. You can't trust Manziel to show up to practices or meetings. You can't trust him not to piss hot for blow. He's not a leader and seemingly not even a good teammate. Not employable. RG3 at least could be a backup.

ThunderDan
03-05-2016, 10:32 AM
No. You can't trust Manziel to show up to practices or meetings. You can't trust him not to piss hot for blow. He's not a leader and seemingly not even a good teammate. Not employable. RG3 at least could be a backup.

RG III will be a starter next year with some team. The contract will be closer to starter money than backup money. Maybe $15M per year for 3 years.

pbmax
03-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1h1 hour ago
It's actually $16M over 4 years for #Vikings & S Andrew Sendejo. They were in safety market, linked to Iloka, others. Does this change that?

pbmax
03-05-2016, 02:35 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 4h4 hours ago
Drew Brees has the leverage to become the highest-paid player in football, if he chooses to use it http://wp.me/p14QSB-9ZNO

pbmax
03-05-2016, 02:47 PM
Marc Lillibridge ‏@NFLBridge 19m19 minutes ago
So...a Dolphins source text/emailed everyone on my Twitter feed to tell them Mario Williams is in the building.

pbmax
03-05-2016, 02:49 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 43m43 minutes ago
Report: Broncos offer Brock Osweiler three-year deal worth more than $45 million http://wp.me/p14QSB-9ZNY

Joemailman
03-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Greg Jennings released by Miami. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000641544/article/dolphins-cut-greg-jennings-restructure-suh-misi-deals

Guiness
03-06-2016, 11:49 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 43m43 minutes ago
Report: Broncos offer Brock Osweiler three-year deal worth more than $45 million http://wp.me/p14QSB-9ZNY

Wow...based on what? 7 starts, less than half a season, at the end of which he got lifted for a taped-together Manning. I have to think the Broncos know something from camp performances, etc. It kind of reminds me of the extension Rodgers signed during his first year starting for the Pack.

Guiness
03-06-2016, 11:55 AM
Jennings out in Miami
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000641544/article/dolphins-cut-greg-jennings-restructure-suh-misi-deals

Have to figure he's done. Might get a vet minimum somewhere, but I doubt it.

Joemailman
03-06-2016, 12:59 PM
Wow...based on what? 7 starts, less than half a season, at the end of which he got lifted for a taped-together Manning. I have to think the Broncos know something from camp performances, etc. It kind of reminds me of the extension Rodgers signed during his first year starting for the Pack.

I thought he played pretty well in his 7 starts considering he had never started before. There are 18 QB's who are making more than the 15M per year that he will be making. It puts him just below Andy Dalton and just ahead of Nick Foles.

Teamcheez1
03-06-2016, 01:27 PM

Unless it's mostly guaranteed, he can make that kind of money with several teams. I think they will have to do better than that if they want to keep him. There just aren't a lot of free agent QB;s to be had.

pbmax
03-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Agree. Unless highly guaranteed, $15 mil per year is probably bottom of the barrel for a vet starter who you WANT to be your vet starter (ie. not counting backups who start games).

Patler
03-06-2016, 02:35 PM
Agree. Unless highly guaranteed, $15 mil per year is probably bottom of the barrel for a vet starter who you WANT to be your vet starter (ie. not counting backups who start games).

Yup. It takes a while to adjust our thinking as the salary cap goes up, salaries at a position go up more than others, etc. QBs are getting a big chunk of a significantly increasing pot right now.

Guiness
03-06-2016, 05:46 PM
I guess $15 million just doesn't buy what it used to!

He probably at the right level, money-wise, and if it doesn't have many guarantees, probably a low risk gamble for the team.

pbmax
03-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Free agency this year is going to be a great test of discipline by teams. This is not a good year to plug huge holes. The receiver group is weak, as is offensive tackle, cornerback and interior defensive line. History says teams that have money will spend it. This is why free agency traditionally is very good for the above-average player. A few non-stars, such as Chiefs cornerback Sean Smith and Ravens guard Kelechi Osemele, are going to get rich. And that traditionally has been one of the things about free agency that so many teams hate. Above-average players getting paid like stars.

I'd feel better about this quote if it was from someone other than Peter King, but I am hoping he had a good source.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/06/peyton-manning-retirement-tom-brady-nfl

Patler
03-07-2016, 09:47 AM
I guess $15 million just doesn't buy what it used to!

Neither does $30,000 (I've been looking at trucks).

pbmax
03-07-2016, 09:48 AM

Trucks and laptops. Unless they are falling apart, the price doesn't drop much.

Rutnstrut
03-07-2016, 09:54 AM

Don't get into the mindset that you have to buy "american". Most "foreign" makes are made more in America than the big 3.

Patler
03-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Don't get into the mindset that you have to buy "american". Most "foreign" makes are made more in America than the big 3.

I've had a mix of "foreign" and "domestic" vehicles since I bought a Toyota van in 1983. Most of my "domestics" had assembly designations of Canada, and I think one years ago was Mexico. Subassemblies come from anywhere and everywhere.

Fritz
03-07-2016, 10:44 AM
I'd feel better about this quote if it was from someone other than Peter King, but I am hoping he had a good source.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/06/peyton-manning-retirement-tom-brady-nfl

This is the part of the year in which Packer fans often jump on Ted for sitting on his hands during the early free-agency pirhana frenzy, but where is that signing frenzy this year? I haven't hear about any big splash free agent signings yet. What's going on? Is everyone adopting Ted's methodology?

Patler
03-07-2016, 10:58 AM
This is the part of the year in which Packer fans often jump on Ted for sitting on his hands during the early free-agency pirhana frenzy, but where is that signing frenzy this year? I haven't hear about any big splash free agent signings yet. What's going on? Is everyone adopting Ted's methodology?

No one can be signed until Wednesday (after 4:00 EST, I think). They can openly negotiate today, Tuesday and Wednesday until the golden hour. They started that a few years ago, a lot because players objected to being given "taken or leave it" ultimatums at the first place they visited. Now they have a few days to openly contact teams, generally discuss terms, etc. with neither being pressured to decide immediately.

Fritz
03-07-2016, 11:04 AM
No one can be signed until Wednesday. They can openly negotiate today and Tuesday. They started that a few years ago,

Ah, thank you.

Damn Ted, then, for not allowing reports to leak out about Danny Trevathan or Mario Williams visiting Green Bay.

How are we supposed to get through the offseason if he doesn't sign a big-name free agent?

call_me_ishmael
03-07-2016, 07:52 PM
What a presser today from the GOAT. Brady may have won more but I don't think anybody did it as well as Peyton.

pbmax
03-07-2016, 08:15 PM
Hello TE market.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2h2 hours ago
It's a four-year, $29.4M deal for Colts TE Dwayne Allen, with $12M paid out in year one, $17M through year two. He had 16 catches last year.

Joemailman
03-07-2016, 08:26 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/07/titans-trading-for-demarco-murray/

The Titans are finalizing a trade for Eagles running back DeMarco Murray, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Monday.

Murray’s representation at Sports Trust Advisors confirmed the trade via Twitter, saying Murray will get a new contract from the Titans.

The Eagles spent Monday paving the way for the organization to rid itself of ex-coach Chip Kelly’s players. A deal was also set up that will send linebacker Kiko Alonso and cornerback Byron Maxwell to the Dolphins.

Trades can officially be made Wednesday, the first day of the league year.

call_me_ishmael
03-07-2016, 08:27 PM
LOL at Mario Williams being willing to sign for the first team to offer him 10M per year. I'd do it.

pbmax
03-07-2016, 11:13 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/07/seahawks-tender-restricted-free-agent-center-patrick-lewis/

Patrick Lewis is a former Packer, right?

Patler
03-08-2016, 01:29 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/07/seahawks-tender-restricted-free-agent-center-patrick-lewis/

Yup. There is a long list of OL who spent time in GB who end up in Seattle for a while, and a few have stuck.

Joemailman
03-08-2016, 06:01 PM
Malik Jackson has agreed to 6 year, 90M deal with Jags. Will be official tomorrow.

Striker
03-09-2016, 08:33 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 59s59 seconds ago
The #Lions are getting WR Marvin Jones, source said, for what is expected to be about $8M per year (as @diannaESPN said).

When Janoris Jenkins signs with the #Giants, it'll be worth more than $12M per year. Huge investment.

For the #Jaguars and RB Chris Ivory, it's a 5-year deal that's well north of $6M per year.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
The WR market will shake out today, but as of late last night, the #Chargers had emerged as the team to beat for WR Travis Benjamin.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3h3 hours ago
DT Ian Williams has agreed to return to the #Niners on a 5-year deal, source said. Big move by SF before free agency begins

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 12h12 hours ago
Source: The #Raiders will sign LB Bruce Irvin when the league year starts tomorrow. Out of nowhere.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 14h14 hours ago
The #Colts and K Adam Vinatieri agreed on a 2-year deal worth $6M, source said. He can earn another $1M in incentives.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 15h15 hours ago
The #Ravens will sign TE Ben Watson tomorrow when the league year opens, and I'm told it's for 2 years, $8M.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 17h17 hours ago
The #Dolphins deal with pass-rusher Mario Williams should come today, sources says, and it's expected to land him $8M per year.

pbmax
03-09-2016, 09:00 AM
$8 million for Mario Williams isn't a blockbuster. He could be declining, but its pretty reasonable given his name and reputation.

pbmax
03-09-2016, 10:54 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m4 minutes ago
The #Vikings are landing G Alex Boone, which was their guard of choice after Osemele, source said (@AdamSchefter on it first)

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 13s14 seconds ago
Chargers and Antonio Gates reach agreement, as @RapSheet reported. Deal is a 2-year agreement and allows Gates to finish career as Charger.

Patler
03-09-2016, 11:16 AM
$8 million for Mario Williams isn't a blockbuster. He could be declining, but its pretty reasonable given his name and reputation.

That's the unknown with older FAs. If all they get is his name and reputation, the $8 million is quite a lot. He did have 5 sacks in 2015, but just 19 tackles. Could turn out to be money well spent, or money wasted.

pbmax
03-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 43m43 minutes ago
The #Eagles agreement with safety Rodney McLeod, 5 years, $37M, includes $17M guaranteed. Huge move for Philly.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3h3 hours ago
For #Bengals and S George Iloka, it's a done deal. 5 years, $30M with $18M over the first 3 years. Cincy players often play them all out.

Cost of a safety has definitely gone up.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5h5 hours ago
When Janoris Jenkins signs with the #Giants, it'll be worth more than $12M per year. Huge investment.

So has CB.

pbmax
03-09-2016, 12:30 PM
That's the unknown with older FAs. If all they get is his name and reputation, the $8 million is quite a lot. He did have 5 sacks in 2015, but just 19 tackles. Could turn out to be money well spent, or money wasted.

True, but its still off the top line of DE deals. So his production last year and his age definitely were factors.

pbmax
03-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Zach Heilprin ‏@ZachHeilprin 15m15 minutes ago Wisconsin, USA
Tanner McEvoy took part in WR drills earlier and is now going through DB drills. Think his future is on offense in the NFL but who knows.

pbmax
03-09-2016, 01:03 PM
Benjamin Worgull ‏@TheBadgerNation 26m26 minutes ago
Official 40-yard dash times: Hillary 4.46, Caputo 4.62, Erickson 4.44, Hayes 5.03, Marz 5.28, Meyer 4.98, Traylor 4.81, Watt 4.69

pbmax
03-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Justis Mosqueda @JuMosq
For those complaining about Ted Thompson today..
Malik Jackson: 6 years $90 M
Mike Daniels: 4 years $42 M

pbmax
03-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 12m12 minutes ago
Matt Forte is not in Green Bay, period, says someone who clearly would know if he's in GB.

I can confirm this.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago
Matt Forte is signing with the NY Jets, per source.

pbmax
03-09-2016, 02:08 PM
Another semi-promising QB career cut semi-tragically short.

Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin
I'm told QB Brock Osweiler has agreed to a deal in principle with the Houston #Texans.

Cheesehead Craig
03-09-2016, 02:22 PM
Another semi-promising QB career cut semi-tragically short.

Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin
I'm told QB Brock Osweiler has agreed to a deal in principle with the Houston #Texans.

That happens, Denver is screwed. Add in that would mean Trevathan would be much less likely to stick around there during a new QB growing pains. Could be good for GB.

Striker
03-09-2016, 02:23 PM
Well, Elway got Manning his ring before retirement by playing the FA game.

Looks like the cap may shutter that Denver dynasty...

Rutnstrut
03-09-2016, 02:25 PM
Forte going to the Jets.

esoxx
03-09-2016, 02:50 PM
O Polar Bear...Polar Bear....where for art thou Polar Bear...

pbmax
03-09-2016, 03:00 PM
Osweiler is getting $18 million per year from Texans, Broncos offered $16 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/09/osweiler-gets-18m-a-year-from-texans-broncos-offered-16m/

Carolina_Packer
03-09-2016, 03:02 PM
A deal with Forte must have been a bridge too far for the cap. I'm OK with them waiting for the right deal in free agency, and not paying frenzy money. They may bring Starks back or look for some other change of pace back. They are going to keep their salary cap clean. I think he takes pride in not having a lot of (any?) dead money.

Rutnstrut
03-09-2016, 03:05 PM
Osweiler is getting $18 million per year from Texans, Broncos offered $16 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/09/osweiler-gets-18m-a-year-from-texans-broncos-offered-16m/

I also heard he was a little miffed about manning being handed the starting job just because he was Peyton Manning. I sort of agree with him on that, but it is the way of the NFL.

Rutnstrut
03-09-2016, 03:08 PM
A deal with Forte must have been a bridge too far for the cap. I'm OK with them waiting for the right deal in free agency, and not paying frenzy money. They may bring Starks back or look for some other change of pace back. They are going to keep their salary cap clean. I think he takes pride in not having a lot of (any?) dead money.

The only reason I wanted Forte in GB was because I really like his pass catching ability. I think this is important as I think TT will do little to help TE and WR positions.

pbmax
03-09-2016, 03:09 PM
I also heard he was a little miffed about manning being handed the starting job just because he was Peyton Manning. I sort of agree with him on that, but it is the way of the NFL.

Perhaps, but I hope he remembers what Bill O'Brien did this year with his rotating QBs and the benching of injured Ryan Mallet.

pbmax
03-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 14s14 seconds ago
Bears are signing former Broncos LB Danny Trevathan, per source.

pbmax
03-09-2016, 03:21 PM
From Spoon and JSO: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/371566711.html

Signed by Packers
Mason Crosby, K
Letroy Guion, DT
Lane Taylor, G

Unrestricted free agents
Don Barclay, T
Brett Goode, LS
Casey Hayward, CB
James Jones, WR
John Kuhn, FB
Mike Neal, OLB
Nick Perry, OLB
Andrew Quarless, TE
B.J. Raji, NT
Sean Richardson, S
James Starks, RB
Scott Tolzien, QB

Restricted free agents
Andy Mulumba, OLB (not tendered, unrestricted)

Exclusive rights free agents
Justin Perillo, TE
Chris Banjo, S (received tender from Packers, unsigned)

All the details: http://www.scout.com/college/wisconsin/story/1650194-results-wisconsins-pro-day?preview=true

Striker
03-09-2016, 03:28 PM
This is the funniest one to me:

The #Rams tendered QB Case Keenum at a 1st round level… with the #Broncos lurking.

lol?

Joemailman
03-09-2016, 04:20 PM
Benjamin Worgull ‏@TheBadgerNation 26m26 minutes ago
Official 40-yard dash times: Hillary 4.46, Caputo 4.62, Erickson 4.44, Hayes 5.03, Marz 5.28, Meyer 4.98, Traylor 4.81, Watt 4.69

Take it to FYI.

ThunderDan
03-09-2016, 04:24 PM
From Spoon and JSO: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/371566711.html

Signed by Packers
Mason Crosby, K
Letroy Guion, DT
Lane Taylor, G

Unrestricted free agents
Don Barclay, T
Brett Goode, LS
Casey Hayward, CB
James Jones, WR
John Kuhn, FB
Mike Neal, OLB
Nick Perry, OLB
Andrew Quarless, TE
B.J. Raji, NT
Sean Richardson, S
James Starks, RB
Scott Tolzien, QB

Restricted free agents
Andy Mulumba, OLB (not tendered, unrestricted)

Exclusive rights free agents
Justin Perillo, TE
Chris Banjo, S (received tender from Packers, unsigned)

All the details: http://www.scout.com/college/wisconsin/story/1650194-results-wisconsins-pro-day?preview=true

Where is Raji?

Striker
03-09-2016, 04:33 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 32m32 minutes ago
Olivier Vernon gets $85M over 5 years — WOW — with $52.5M in guarantees.

King Friday
03-09-2016, 05:03 PM
Forte going to the Jets.

Guess he wasn't all that interested in going to a contender.

Rutnstrut
03-09-2016, 05:06 PM
Guess he wasn't all that interested in going to a contender.

The Jets are a pretty good team, especially if they bring back Fitzpatrick.

Joemailman
03-09-2016, 05:13 PM
With Osweiler going to Houston, the Broncos have Trevor Siemian, a rookie 7th round pick from Northwestern at QB. That's it. I wonder what they'd give up for Hundley.

Patler
03-09-2016, 05:16 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 32m32 minutes ago
Olivier Vernon gets $85M over 5 years — WOW — with $52.5M in guarantees.

$52.5M guaranteed, $22.5 over 5 years NOT guaranteed?
Have they lost the concept of incentive/motivation?

pbmax
03-09-2016, 08:07 PM
In the NFL, not even the guarantees are really guaranteed (most of them).

pbmax
03-09-2016, 08:07 PM
Where is Raji?

In between these guys:

Andrew Quarless, TE
B.J. Raji, NT
Sean Richardson, S

pbmax
03-09-2016, 08:11 PM
Kyle Long back to right guard: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-biggs-kyle-long-bobby-massie-spt-0310-20160309-column.html

Zombo new 3 year deal for just over $3 mil total. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/09/chiefs-keep-it-going-keep-linebacker-frank-zombo-for-three-years/

pbmax
03-09-2016, 08:27 PM
Take it to FYI.

Does that mean that Rutherford B. Hayes clocked in at just over 5 seconds?

pbmax
03-09-2016, 08:27 PM

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m1 minute ago
Brock Osweiler’s deal with Houston includes a $12M SB, $20M more in gtd base salary, $5M in a roster bonus this month. Essentially $37M gtd.

Might have had something to do with it.

Rutnstrut
03-09-2016, 09:09 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m1 minute ago
Brock Osweiler’s deal with Houston includes a $12M SB, $20M more in gtd base salary, $5M in a roster bonus this month. Essentially $37M gtd.

Might have had something to do with it.

Maybe he isn't that sure of his own skills and thought he better get the most while the getting was good.

Bretsky
03-09-2016, 09:13 PM
Ponders why in the H we don't have a 2016 Official Free Agency thread
simple answer I guess

It's a Packers forum and they have nothing to do with it.

but seriously....WHY don't we have a FA thread ???

pbmax
03-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 20m20 minutes ago
Trevathan base salaries in 2016 and 2017 are fully guaranteed.

call_me_ishmael
03-09-2016, 09:41 PM
Didn't AJ Hawk make like 6 mil per year after his rookie deal - like 2010ish? That price seems like a deal for Danny.

Fritz
03-10-2016, 01:45 PM
I was hoping Ted would step out of his comfort zone and sign Trevathan to a deal - he is, after all, in his prime and a proven player.

But alas, no.

Therefore, I hope the guy proves to be very pedestrian in Chicago.

Teamcheez1
03-10-2016, 03:07 PM
Forte's contract is 3 years at $12M with $8M guaranteed. Now I understand why GB was not interested.

yetisnowman
03-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Forte's contract is 3 years at $12M with $8M guaranteed. Now I understand why GB was not interested.

Totally. I mean we gotta save some in the kitty for our awful backup o-line.

KYPack
03-10-2016, 06:52 PM
I was hoping Ted would step out of his comfort zone and sign Trevathan to a deal - he is, after all, in his prime and a proven player.

But alas, no.

Therefore, I hope the guy proves to be very pedestrian in Chicago.

Was hopin' we would sign Danny T, back in the time when I thought he might be an under the radar guy.

U of KY star and a real blue collar leader that can play all 3 downs.

For stupid dollars? Nah, we should pass on him.

And we did.

Rutnstrut
03-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Was hopin' we would sign Danny T, back in the time when I thought he might be an under the radar guy.

U of KY star and a real blue collar leader that can play all 3 downs.

For stupid dollars? Nah, we should pass on him.

And we did.

IMO he would have been worth the risk. But TT is more content to search back alleys for the next Brad Jones.

KYPack
03-10-2016, 08:20 PM
IMO he would have been worth the risk. But TT is more content to search back alleys for the next Brad Jones.

Danny thinks like me...

“I wish they (the Packers) would have, but they didn’t,” he said. “My guy Randall Cobb is over there, but they didn’t so I’m here with Chicago.”

This kid has Packer written all over him, a Randall Cobb for the D.

He got stupid dough, but I really could have dug seeing him sign with the G&G.

He's a 100%er, plays tough and is stone leader without shooting his mouth off.

Guiness
03-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...patrick-lewis/

Yup. There is a long list of OL who spent time in GB who end up in Seattle for a while, and a few have stuck.

The hell you two, just checked and he was a UDFA that spent time on the practice squad and was released before TC!!!

I wonder if he'll go into the hall wearing a Packers jersey just like Kurt Warner will?

Striker
03-11-2016, 09:42 AM
Updates from overnight:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 13h13 hours ago
The #Seahawks and WR Jermaine Kearse agreed to a 3-year deal worth $13.5M, source said. Solid structure.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 13h13 hours ago
#Dolpins CB Byron Maxwell will now make $17M over the next 2 years vs. $18.5M. But gets $13.5M guaranteed vs. $11.5M.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 11h11 hours ago
A reunion: LB Sean Weatherspoon agrees to a deal with the #Falcons, source said.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 29m29 minutes ago
Barring a late snag, #Bills RFA WR Chris Hogan will sign a 3-year, $12M, heavily-guaranteed deal to join #Patriots. BUF has 5 days to match

pbmax
03-11-2016, 10:03 AM
Five year of the top FA deals p.us some Saints, and the results.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2016/03/nfl_free_agency_2016_what_happ.html

Guiness
03-11-2016, 10:43 AM
Well, Elway got Manning his ring before retirement by playing the FA game.

Looks like the cap may shutter that Denver dynasty...

'cause cap has been a factor to them in the past... #SourGrapes #StillHurts

Guiness
03-11-2016, 10:44 AM
$52.5M guaranteed, $22.5 over 5 years NOT guaranteed?
Have they lost the concept of incentive/motivation?

Of course, until you see the contract, you don't know how guaranteed the guarantees are. See: Kaepernick, Colin

pbmax
03-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Thompson was at the Badgers Pro Day on the first day of Free Agency. Where was Bill Belichick?

That, of course, drew the ire of those who believe Thompson’s well-established disdain for free agency continues to hold back the franchise from winning another championship. Never mind that New England’s head coach, general manager and chief popcorn vendor, Bill Belichick, spent the first day of free agency at Alabama’s pro day.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1650704-here-s-why-thompson-isn-t-spending

pbmax
03-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Also from that Scout article:

— Former Bears running back Matt Forte, who the Packers seemed legitimately interested in, signed a three-year deal with the Jets worth $12 million, which included $8 million guaranteed. As a source told Packer Report on Wednesday, what the Packers really couldn’t match was role: Forte will be the No. 1 back for a pretty good Jets team; he would have been the No. 2 behind Eddie Lacy with Green Bay.

Striker
03-11-2016, 10:52 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 18m18 minutes ago
The #Browns announce they've waived QB Johnny Manziel.

Will Jerry Jones seize authority from his son to make it happen?

Guiness
03-11-2016, 11:20 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 18m18 minutes ago
The #Browns announce they've waived QB Johnny Manziel.

Will Jerry Jones seize authority from his son to make it happen?

I can't see anyone going near him at this point. He's committed the double sin of being a headache AND not being very good when he did play.

Guiness
03-11-2016, 11:38 AM
I can't see anyone going near him at this point. He's committed the double sin of being a headache AND not being very good when he did play.

Having said this, there seems to be 3(!) potential landing spots for him. With Kaep on the trading block, the 49'ers. Broncos cupboard is bare (Manziel in a legal marijuana state? Yeoww!) and the Cowboys, although I don't know JJ has shown any interest since draft day. Are the stories about Manziel to the Cowboys still connect back to then?

smuggler
03-11-2016, 12:27 PM
— Former Bears running back Matt Forte, who the Packers seemed legitimately interested in, signed a three-year deal with the Jets worth $12 million, which included $8 million guaranteed. As a source told Packer Report on Wednesday, what the Packers really couldn’t match was role: Forte will be the No. 1 back for a pretty good Jets team; he would have been the No. 2 behind Eddie Lacy with Green Bay.

Yeah, that's the rub. Forte is still a viable starter, and might be for a year or two longer. We have Lacy and he should be in fine form next year. We should draft C.J. Prosise as our change-of-pace back. Let Starks get his payday from New England.

pbmax
03-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 7m7 minutes ago
Broncos acquire Mark Sanchez from Philly for conditional draft pick. Process has begun #9news #9sports

Ouch. Rebuilding sucks.

Fritz
03-11-2016, 12:44 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 7m7 minutes ago
Broncos acquire Mark Sanchez from Philly for conditional draft pick. Process has begun #9news #9sports

Ouch. Rebuilding sucks.

So they have their backup.

Striker
03-11-2016, 01:16 PM
Having said this, there seems to be 3(!) potential landing spots for him. With Kaep on the trading block, the 49'ers. Broncos cupboard is bare (Manziel in a legal marijuana state? Yeoww!) and the Cowboys, although I don't know JJ has shown any interest since draft day. Are the stories about Manziel to the Cowboys still connect back to then?

There's been a lot of buzz in Dallas papers about Jones' continued infatuation with Manziel. And he has taken risks on character risks before if he thinks the talent is there.

Fritz
03-11-2016, 01:32 PM
Lions hosting Russell Okung today.

As someone who despises the Lions and hopes the new GM is as piss-poor as the last two or three or four have been in Detroit, I find this strangely encouraging: spend all that cap money right away to plug holes! Now if the new guy trades up to get into the late first round for a second first round pick and gives up a second and third to do so, then I'll be happier.

pbmax
03-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Lions hosting Russell Okung today.

As someone who despises the Lions and hopes the new GM is as piss-poor as the last two or three or four have been in Detroit, I find this strangely encouraging: spend all that cap money right away to plug holes! Now if the new guy trades up to get into the late first round for a second first round pick and gives up a second and third to do so, then I'll be happier.

You can be ecstatic at the money they paid Megatron's replacement.

Fritz
03-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Yes, they think he can be a #1A with Tate, but he couldn't do it even with AJ Green on the other side.

run pMc
03-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Russell Okung's still decent but best days are behind him. Let Detroit sign him to a mega contract. He won't earn it, plus SEA loses their starting LT.

woodbuck27
03-13-2016, 09:40 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/2015/8/27/9217065/martavis-bryant-suspension-appeal-nfl-substance-abuse-policy

Steelers WR Martavis Bryant suspended 4 games for violating substance abuse policy

By Louis Bien  @louisbien on Aug 31, 2015, 3:45p

Patler
03-13-2016, 09:51 PM
Russell Okung's still decent but best days are behind him. Let Detroit sign him to a mega contract. He won't earn it, plus SEA loses their starting LT.

He's only 28. No reason he can't give good value over the likely term of a contract.

pbmax
03-13-2016, 10:18 PM
Martavious was rumored to be in line for a year long ban. He just announced he was going to rehab. Wonder if he plea bargained?

woodbuck27
03-14-2016, 10:24 PM
http://www.profootballrumors.com/latest-49ers-broncos-browns-colin-kaepernick/

Latest On Colin Kaepernick

March 14th, 2016 at 3:29pm CST by Zach Links

smuggler
03-14-2016, 11:12 PM
Bryant agreed to the year-long suspension and entered a drug rehab program in hopes of having his suspension reduced (a la Aldon Smith a few years back...)

woodbuck27
03-16-2016, 08:14 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/3/16/11242514/nfl-free-agency-offseason-recap-grades-chandler-jones-trade-cardinals-patriots

Winners and losers of the Chandler Jones trade and a busy 2 days of NFL free agency

By Jon Benne  @LordBenne on Mar 16, 2016

The Patriots and Cardinals pulled off a stunning trade on Tuesday, and somehow both teams won. Eric Weddle, meanwhile, has a new home after a busy two days of NFL free agency. . . . . and more goings on... Winners and Losers.

Comment woodbuck27:

RE: Arizona,New England, Baltimore and signing WR Mike Wallace and Safety Eric Weddle and Backup QB Matt Moore Resigning with Miami.....are all considered by this writer as Winners !

The losers in deals or NO deals over the last couple of days is contained in this article....click on the LINK above please.

Guiness
03-17-2016, 11:42 AM
Andre Smith to the Vikings for a seemingly pretty good price, $3.5 million. This is a guy I would have liked the Packers to talk to, he missed a bit of time last year, but has been mostly healthy.

Andre Smith Verified account
‏@BigSmitty71

Minneapolis here I come...Excited to join the great Vikings organization today on a 1-yr deal!!#SKOLVikings!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/17/andre-smith-signs-one-year-deal-with-vikings/

run pMc
03-17-2016, 04:49 PM
Minnesota is becoming Cincy West.

Fritz
03-18-2016, 08:51 AM
Let's hope so.

pbmax
03-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Owners and GM meetings:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CeFdN3nWoAAfLlx.jpg:large

From L-R Back Row
---, ---, Ozzie Newsome, Mongo, Ted Thompson, 5' 2" John Schneider, John Dorsey, Scot McCloughan?, Reggie McKenzie

Middle L-R
---, ---, ---, ---, ---, --- ---, ---, ---, ---, ---, ---

Front L-R
---, ---, ---, ---, Thomas Dimitroff, ---, ---, ---, ---, ---, ---

pbmax
03-21-2016, 12:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CeFnRhcUIAAbfMV.jpg:large

From L-R Back Row
Jack Of The River, Rex Ryan, Gary Kubiak, Bruce Arians, --- , --- , ---, Mike Tomlin

Middle L-R
Former Bald Seattle DC, F*ckitty McF*ckface, Jim Caldwell, Smoothie Kelly, ---, Doug Pederson, Chuck Pagano, ---, ---, Hue Jackson

Front L-R
Ron Rivera, ---, John Harbaugh, John Fox, Jeff Fisher, Ben McAdoo, Mike Zimmer, Marvin Lewis, Mike McCarthy, Mike McCoy

Rutnstrut
03-21-2016, 02:02 PM
PB isn't that Doug Pederson to the right of Pagano?

Guiness
03-21-2016, 02:36 PM
From L-R Back Row
---, ---, Ozzie Newsome, Mongo, Ted Thompson, 5' 2" John Schneider, John Dorsey, Scot McCloughan?, Reggie McKenzie

Middle L-R

Front L-R
Justin Beiber, ---, Ryan Pace?, ---, Thomas Dimitroff, ---, ---, ---, ---, ---, Doug Whaley

Second from left in the back row looks like Mike Pettine, but I don't think it could be him.

pbmax
03-21-2016, 03:16 PM
PB isn't that Doug Pederson to the right of Pagano?

I KNEW he looked familiar.

Zool
03-21-2016, 04:30 PM
From L-R Back Row

Middle L-R

Front L-R
Justin Beiber, ---, Ryan Pace?, ---, Thomas Dimitroff, ---, ---, ---, ---, ---, Doug Whaley

Second from left in the back row looks like Mike Pettine, but I don't think it could be him.

Far left front row is Horse Face McGee.

George Cumby
03-21-2016, 04:46 PM
See how Ted put himself in the front row? EGO!

Wait......never mind.

denverYooper
03-21-2016, 05:06 PM
I like that M3 looks like a professor of Medieval English Literature at the Local College.