PDA

View Full Version : The Packers will sign at least one, probably 2 free agents starters in 2016.

Patler
01-25-2016, 03:39 PM
There is a pattern. The following either were the regular starters or regular rotational players:

2006 - Pickett (starter) & Woodson (starter)
2008 - Chillar (sometimes starter, regular rotational player)
2010 - Peprah (starter) & Howard Green (starter and rotational player after mid-season signing.)
2012 - Saturday (starter) & Benson (starter until injured)
2014 - Peppers (starter) & Guion (starter).
2016 - ??? & ???

Fritz
01-25-2016, 03:40 PM
If they can sign that linebacker from Denver, I'd be thrilled.

mraynrand
01-25-2016, 03:45 PM
Packer don't sign a few key FA starters to make a difference.

Rutnstrut
01-25-2016, 04:00 PM
There is a pattern. The following either were the regular starters or regular rotational players:

2006 - Pickett (starter) & Woodson (starter)
2008 - Chillar (sometimes starter, regular rotational player)
2010 - Peprah (starter) & Howard Green (starter and rotational player after mid-season signing.)
2012 - Saturday (starter) & Benson (starter until injured)
2014 - Peppers (starter) & Guion (starter).
2016 - ??? & ???

I sure hope you are right. They don't need to sign big name, huge payday guys. Just a few solid, go hard every down vets.

Joemailman
01-25-2016, 04:07 PM
If they can sign that linebacker from Denver, I'd be thrilled.

Danny Trevathan? He's good, but I wonder if Denver will let him get away. They don't have a ton of cap space right now, and have to get Von Miller signed, but they'll free up a lot of cap space if Peyton is done.

A TE who could be a possibility is Dwayne Allen of Indy. He had a poor year statistically this year because they kept him in to block a lot, but he has some receiving ability. He's had some injuries, but was pretty good in 2012 and 2014.

pbmax
01-25-2016, 04:08 PM
So its like a cheat day on his diet?

Patler
01-25-2016, 04:12 PM
So its like a cheat day on his diet?

I think TT agonizes over the scathing criticisms from Bob McGinn in odd numbered years, and asks himself what he can do to make McGinn happy again. So, he goes out and signs a couple FAs who will start, and hopes beyond all hope that he receives McGinn's approval. But, Bob is a tough task master, and the following year the criticisms flow again when TT signs no one. The vicious cycle starts all over again.

Either that, or he randomly finds good value at positions of need and signs the guys.

Zool
01-25-2016, 04:15 PM
Thanks for reminding me of Brandon Chillar. :butt:

MadScientist
01-25-2016, 04:26 PM
How many of those were 'street' FA's? Peppers and Guion were, Saturday was not. TT is more likely to go for a guy who doesn't count against the supplemental draft picks.

pbmax
01-25-2016, 04:30 PM
How many of those were 'street' FA's? Peppers and Guion were, Saturday was not. TT is more likely to go for a guy who doesn't count against the supplemental draft picks.

Hello Mario Williams.

Joemailman
01-25-2016, 04:34 PM
Hello Mario Williams.

Thought of that a while back too. If they're going to keep Peppers for 2016, they'd need to work out a contract with Williams with a low cap hit in 2016. Doable though.

smuggler
01-25-2016, 09:44 PM
That would be very nice. Contingency for Peppers falling off a cliff, for sure. Williams is 31, yeah?

E: Nope, he's still only 30. Lot of mileage, though. But then, that was true with Pep, also.

Guiness
01-25-2016, 10:31 PM
That would be very nice. Contingency for Peppers falling off a cliff, for sure. Williams is 31, yeah?

E: Nope, he's still only 30. Lot of mileage, though. But then, that was true with Pep, also.

Looking at William's career, I'm surprised at how few game he has missed. Only time he missed any games were his last 2 years in Houston, which I think was the toe thing. He hasn't missed a game in 3 seasons with Buffalo.

Buffalo sure ran him out of town this year though. Wonder what was up with that.

pbmax
01-25-2016, 10:39 PM
He's getting a lot of blame in the local media for playing a me first game rather than scheme. And Rex is not exactly trying to douse it with an extinguisher.

However that is usually the case with talented guys who are looking to leave, there are always questions about motivation and priorities. And Rex doesn't want to tell the public they are losing one of the best players on D.

smuggler
01-26-2016, 12:22 AM
Both Mario and Pep were UNC guys. Maybe the connection can be an icebreaker for a potential marriage.

call_me_ishmael
01-26-2016, 12:59 AM
Both Mario and Pep were UNC guys. Maybe the connection can be an icebreaker for a potential marriage.

Mario went to NC State and got Manny Lawson and the DT drafted in the first round. Dude made a lot of people some money!

KYPack
01-26-2016, 02:03 AM

Well, he's 31 Sunday. Teams tend to chase guys who played lights out against them. Super Mario had a clutch sack vs GB that was the Bills dagger in that very fugly game against us last season (2014). The Bengals went up to Buff last season & I told the locals here they would be beaten. One of the guys I watched was Mario Williams. But the Bengals didn't. Star RT Andre Smith manhandled Super Mario who had 1 tackle and just flat out disappeared.

4 Pro bowls, many off season honors, but an in and out career on balance. There are many similarities with Pep. Both are paw down DE's that long to play WIL. He can be a force out there. Misses some games with varieties of injuries. A great DE who would prefer to be a cover and sometimes blitzer WIL in a 3-4? Sounds like Pep, but he can be fiery one week, then disappear the next. Needs coaching and a scheme that helps his skill set.

We put one toe in the FA water every few years. If Super Mario doesn't go in the early rounds of vet FA, TT might dip that toe.

We are going to have to take some chances to improve on both sides of the ball. MW might be the kind of cat we take a flyer on.

Patler
01-26-2016, 07:32 AM

I think your argument fails. Woodson, Pickett, Chillar, Peprah, Saturday and Benson were all UFAs and therefore were considered in compensatory draft pick compensation. Peppers, Guion and Green were not. Marquand Manuel, who I forgot on my initial list, was also an unrestricted free agent who started for a season. So it has been 7:3, UFAs to SFAs who were signed and became starters or regular rotation players.

I seriously doubt that their status as a UFA or SFA is a consideration at all in who he signs. But what's the difference? A free agent is a free agent. Either type supplements the "draft and develop" philosophy, doesn't it?

3irty1
01-26-2016, 07:52 AM
I think your argument fails. Woodson, Pickett, Chillar, Peprah, Saturday and Benson were all UFAs and therefore were considered in compensatory draft pick compensation. Peppers, Guion and Green were not. Marquand Manuel, who I forgot on my initial list, was also an unrestricted free agent who started for a season. So it has been 7:3, UFAs to SFAs who were signed and became starters or regular rotation players.

I seriously doubt that their status as a UFA or SFA is a consideration at all in who he signs. But what's the difference? A free agent is a free agent. Either type supplements the "draft and develop" philosophy, doesn't it?

I think it matters. Or at least it should especially in the case of Peppers and Guion. Its not just preventing a comp pick to us, its awarding a comp pick to a rival.

Patler
01-26-2016, 08:40 AM
I think it matters. Or at least it should especially in the case of Peppers and Guion. Its not just preventing a comp pick to us, its awarding a comp pick to a rival.

Peppers and Guion didn't count toward draft pick compensation, but I don't get your argument. Are you suggesting that TT does or should avoid signing a player who can help because the signing might mean the Packers will get a lower compensatory pick for a player they lost? Generally it is a low pick anyway, I doubt that enters into his decision making at all, since the awarding of picks doesn't occur for a year anyway, and a lot can happen that impacts it.

As for the awarding of picks to a rival, a player worthy of draft pick compensation will be signed by someone and the rival will receive compensation anyway. What incentive is there for GB not to sign him?

3irty1
01-26-2016, 09:03 AM
Peppers and Guion didn't count toward draft pick compensation, but I don't get your argument. Are you suggesting that TT does or should avoid signing a player who can help because the signing might mean the Packers will get a lower compensatory pick for a player they lost? Generally it is a low pick anyway, I doubt that enters into his decision making at all, since the awarding of picks doesn't occur for a year anyway, and a lot can happen that impacts it.

As for the awarding of picks to a rival, a player worthy of draft pick compensation will be signed by someone and the rival will receive compensation anyway. What incentive is there for GB not to sign him?

That is what I'm suggesting. The formula for comp picks is a mystery but the largest component seems to be the new players salary. It can mean a lower comp pick, or one less comp pick altogether. Those low picks nearly always translate to a rostered player as well as another number in the numbers game of the draft so I think the value is not insignificant.

I guess all I'm saying is that free agents like Peppers and Guion who were cut should be valued higher than free agents with expired contracts all else being equal. Of course you're right that all else is never equal but with how difficult it is to find value in free agency I like going after cuts.

mraynrand
01-26-2016, 09:24 AM
Are you suggesting that TT does or should avoid signing a player who can help because the signing might mean the Packers will get a lower compensatory pick for a player they lost?

I don't get it. I thought the compensation only worked one way. How does this formula work? Say the Packers don't lose any starters who might have given them a compensatory pick but they pick up a FA worth a compensatory pick for another team? The NFL does't take picks away, right? But then they lower the composition for a lost starter if you pick up another player? Does it matter if it's at a similar position? This sounds mighty fishy to me.

Pugger
01-26-2016, 10:10 AM
The Packers always sign FAs unless we are only counting those players who played for another team the previous year.

Fritz
01-26-2016, 11:10 AM
I think that the fans will be happy if TT makes a splash and spends a ton of money on a big name.

Would that be Mario Williams?

Patler
01-26-2016, 11:34 AM
I don't get it. I thought the compensation only worked one way. How does this formula work? Say the Packers don't lose any starters who might have given them a compensatory pick but they pick up a FA worth a compensatory pick for another team? The NFL does't take picks away, right? But then they lower the composition for a lost starter if you pick up another player? Does it matter if it's at a similar position? This sounds mighty fishy to me.

Are you seriously asking, or being sarcastic? (Voice inflection is difficult to interpret through written words!)

Strictly speaking, if you lose more UFAs than you sign, you should receive compensation for the difference. Also strictly speaking, if you sign as many as you lose, regardless of contract size, you will not receive compensation. In reality, it has not always worked out that way, and determining the level of compensation has been sort of a balancing act:

(# and quality of UFAs lost) - (# and quality of UFAs signed)

This year they lost two who signed large contracts indicating high quality (supposedly, playing time and post season honors also are factors in the calculation). Theoretically they will get two draft picks, both of which should be toward the higher end of the awardable picks. If the Packers had signed an UFA to a similar contract, it would likely would have offset one they lost and the net result would have been just one pick to the Packers.

It sometimes gets muddled, because rules require that 32 picks be doled out, no more, no less. If there are insufficient FA signings for compensation, the remaining picks are to be awarded in order of draft priority. I don't think that has ever happened. What does sometimes happen is that picks are lowered based on signings. If the Packers lost House and Williams but signed two real low level UFAs, they might have gotten one or two low round picks instead of the higher ones they are likely to get after signing no one.

What also seems to happen sometimes is that a team who has a net loss of 3 or 4 players receives fewer but higher picks than you might expect. For example, if there was a net loss of 4 that you thought might be worth 2 sixth and 2 seventh round picks, they might get 3 in the sixth, instead. It all depends on how active the market was, because only 32 picks can be awarded.

Not all losses are subject to compensation, and the league has never explained where the cutoff is. I think it varies from year to year, depending on how active the FA market was, so they can award the 32 picks. However, historically an UFA who signs a one-year minimum contract has not be compensated for, so the Packers will get nothing for the loss of Jamarii Lattimore.

Long and short of it is that if you sign a decent unrestricted free agent, it is likely to lower or eliminate a compensatory pick you might have otherwise received for a free agent you lost.

Tony Oday
01-26-2016, 12:54 PM
Calvin Johnson

Fritz
01-26-2016, 02:31 PM
So what will they get, I wonder, for Williams and House? I have no idea how well they played, or how much they played.

smuggler
01-26-2016, 03:01 PM
They should get 4th rounders for each. How 'well' they play is off very little consequence. Playing time with us last year and with the new team do play a part, but the biggest factor is contract.

Patler
01-26-2016, 03:05 PM
So what will they get, I wonder, for Williams and House? I have no idea how well they played, or how much they played.

The biggest factor is the size of their contract, 4 yrs., $24.5M, $10M guaranteed for House, 3 yrs., $21M, $10M guaranteed for Williams. Both started all season. There were quite a few very large contracts in 2015, and in total value these are not near the top.

Patler
01-26-2016, 03:09 PM
They should get 4th rounders for each. How 'well' they play is off very little consequence. Playing time with us last year and with the new team do play a part, but the biggest factor is contract.

I saw a list that had House at about #20 in both total contract value and average/year. I'm not sure how many above him will be compensated for, or cancelled by their former teams having signed FAs. If most of those above him merit compensation, the Packers could be looking at 5th round picks for House and Williams.

mraynrand
01-26-2016, 03:11 PM
Are you seriously asking, or being sarcastic? ..

Thanks for the response. Makes some sense. I honestly thought it was based on what you lost. That equation does't work for teams who only acquire... ??

Patler
01-26-2016, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the response. Makes some sense. I honestly thought it was based on what you lost. That equation does't work for teams who only acquire... ??

The system is designed to compensate teams that lose players as a result of the FA system. If a team only acquires players, it has no impact on them. If a team gains as many as it loses, no compensation is needed either because the FA system didn't really harm them.

smuggler
01-26-2016, 03:37 PM
Fucking browser.

I don't know the specifics, and really no one outside the league does. The usual (reliable) sources have House near the borderline but being a 4th anyway. Williams is safe as a 4th.

woodbuck27
01-26-2016, 04:18 PM
Hello Mario Williams.

$$$$ Big $$$$

pbmax
01-26-2016, 04:40 PM
Number of compensation picks awarded has money involved in both calculations.

If you lose a replacement level player (with a small contract) he does not qualify in the calculation. Only certain FAs qualify.

Then among the qualified FAs, its the difference between lost and signed to determine number of picks.

Then contract comes back to help sort who gets what picks.

It has been reported, though never publicly confirmed, that Ted likes not losing the comp pick with street free agents. How much value he puts on that, I have no idea.

Joemailman
01-26-2016, 05:18 PM
Projection of 2016 comp picks: Tramon and House both projected as 4th round. Tramon is the highest 4th round pick. http://overthecap.com/projecting-the-2016-compensatory-draft-picks/

Patler
01-26-2016, 05:36 PM
Fucking browser.

I don't know the specifics, and really no one outside the league does. The usual (reliable) sources have House near the borderline but being a 4th anyway. Williams is safe as a 4th.

It will be interesting when the charts come out showing "lost" and "signed" for each team, so we can see who signed offsetting FAs.

For what it is worth, according to Sportrac:

House - #23 in total contract value, #29 in average/year, #23 in guaranteed $ (5 tied).
Williams-#28 in total contract value, #23 in average/year, #23 in guaranteed $ (5 tied).

Patler
01-26-2016, 05:45 PM
Projection of 2016 comp picks: Tramon and House both projected as 4th round. Tramon is the highest 4th round pick. http://overthecap.com/projecting-the-2016-compensatory-draft-picks/

Interesting. Many of the players on the Sportrac list of all signings are not on the overthecap projection for draft picks, so must be offset by their former team signing FAs.

Tony Oday
01-27-2016, 10:43 AM
I think we will sign an ILB, Guard and an Elite WR.

Patler
01-27-2016, 10:51 AM
I think we will sign an ILB, Guard and an Elite WR.

Guard?

Tony Oday
01-27-2016, 12:19 PM
Guard?

Yup, seems like our MO.

mraynrand
01-27-2016, 12:22 PM
Guard?

I think TT will draft a guard for sure.

woodbuck27
01-27-2016, 12:34 PM
Are you seriously asking, or being sarcastic? (Voice inflection is difficult to interpret through written words!)

Strictly speaking, if you lose more UFAs than you sign, you should receive compensation for the difference. Also strictly speaking, if you sign as many as you lose, regardless of contract size, you will not receive compensation. In reality, it has not always worked out that way, and determining the level of compensation has been sort of a balancing act:

This year they lost two who signed large contracts indicating high quality (supposedly, playing time and post season honors also are factors in the calculation). Theoretically they will get two draft picks, both of which should be toward the higher end of the awardable picks. If the Packers had signed an UFA to a similar contract, it would likely would have offset one they lost and the net result would have been just one pick to the Packers.

It sometimes gets muddled, because rules require that 32 picks be doled out, no more, no less. If there are insufficient FA signings for compensation, the remaining picks are to be awarded in order of draft priority. I don't think that has ever happened. What does sometimes happen is that picks are lowered based on signings. If the Packers lost House and Williams but signed two real low level UFAs, they might have gotten one or two low round picks instead of the higher ones they are likely to get after signing no one.

What also seems to happen sometimes is that a team who has a net loss of 3 or 4 players receives fewer but higher picks than you might expect. For example, if there was a net loss of 4 that you thought might be worth 2 sixth and 2 seventh round picks, they might get 3 in the sixth, instead. It all depends on how active the market was, because only 32 picks can be awarded.

Not all losses are subject to compensation, and the league has never explained where the cutoff is. I think it varies from year to year, depending on how active the FA market was, so they can award the 32 picks. However, historically an UFA who signs a one-year minimum contract has not be compensated for, so the Packers will get nothing for the loss of Jamarii Lattimore.

Long and short of it is that if you sign a decent unrestricted free agent, it is likely to lower or eliminate a compensatory pick you might have otherwise received for a free agent you lost.

A solid explanation Patler.

Thanks.

Joemailman
01-27-2016, 04:05 PM
Guard?

In American and Canadian football, a guard (G) is a player who lines up between the center and the tackles on the offensive line of a football team on the line of scrimmage.[1]

The guard's job is to protect the quarterback from the incoming defensive line and linebackers during pass plays, as well as creating openings (holes) for the running backs to head through. Guards perform speed blocking and "pulling"—sprinting out in front of a running back in order to block for him. Guards are automatically considered ineligible receivers, so they cannot intentionally touch a forward pass, unless it is to recover a fumble or is first touched by a defender or eligible receiver.

Right guards (RG) is the term for the guards on the right of the offensive line, while left guards (LG) are on the left side. Guards are to the right or left of the center..

Patler
01-27-2016, 04:20 PM
I think TT will draft a guard for sure..

Draft, sure. Sign as a FA? I doubt it, at least not the "real" FAs people are clamoring for (you know, expensive, from another team, with a recognizable name....oh....and with an expired contract, not a terminated contract).

Patler
01-27-2016, 04:23 PM

Thanks. :)

run pMc
01-27-2016, 09:01 PM
I think TT will draft a guard for sure.

I think Ted will draft a tackle and move him inside to guard.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if TT drafted two tackles, a DT, two LBs, a slot CB and a TE. Maybe even a 3rd down RB.

3irty1
01-27-2016, 09:11 PM
My guess is Ted will draft 2 tackles, 2 slot CBs, 2 slot WR, and 2 FB.

call_me_ishmael
01-27-2016, 09:16 PM
I don't see Ted taking an offensive skill position player unless a tremendous value is available. I think the picks will be shake out to be 3 OL, 2 LB, 2 DL, 1 S.

wist43
01-28-2016, 01:13 AM
Every once in a while he dips into FA - he signed Peppers 2 years ago, that should hold him over for another 3-4 years.

Hence, not likely to get any help via FA - unless you count signing our own FA's. And to that end, we have some I want to resign.

Pugger
01-28-2016, 07:23 AM
Calvin Johnson

Only if he "retires" like Farve did, is cut or we make a trade. I don't see him pulling a Favre so unless Detroit cuts him he isn't wearing green and gold next season.

Pugger
01-28-2016, 07:26 AM
I don't see Ted taking an offensive skill position player unless a tremendous value is available. I think the picks will be shake out to be 3 OL, 2 LB, 2 DL, 1 S.

We need a TE but from what I hear this isn't a good TE draft class this year.

mraynrand
01-28-2016, 07:34 AM
Only if he "retires" like Farve did, is cut or we make a trade. I don't see him pulling a Favre so unless Detroit cuts him he isn't wearing green and gold next season.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k7FSZ0pp--/18j5i0f7baczujpg.jpg

a 2-fer!

woodbuck27
01-28-2016, 10:05 AM

Calvin Johnson has some health issues.

He has to get that back.....for his gifts as an outstanding athlete to propel him back to or near the top in conversations and WR.

Cheesehead Craig
01-28-2016, 10:19 AM
Calvin Johnson has some health issues.

He has to get that back.....for his gifts as an outstanding athlete to propel him back to or near the top in conversations and WR.

Calvin just needs a change of scenery as I think he mentally is just beat down being in Det. He goes to a contender and he'll bounce back like Moss did with NE.

Tony Oday
01-28-2016, 10:22 AM
Calvin will be released and we will sign him. I 100% believe this. AR will have the best year of his career too after that.

Patler
01-28-2016, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure Calvin Johnson's heart is in it anymore. A number of players have said they expect him to retire.
It would be interesting to see him in GB. A good way to avoid sacks, just throw high to CJ.

Cheesehead Craig
01-28-2016, 10:43 AM
Calvin will be released and we will sign him. I 100% believe this. AR will have the best year of his career too after that.

Not gonna happen. Calvin's gonna make 10M/yr easy in FA. Can't afford him, Nelson and Cobb. Not when in 2017 they have to re-sign Sitton, Lang, Bak, Tretter and possibly Lacy.

Pugger
01-28-2016, 12:30 PM
FAs Ted will probably sign:

Mason Crosby
Mike Neal
Letroy Guion
BJ Raji
Nick Perry
James Starks
Chris Banjo
John Kuhn

Patler
01-28-2016, 01:14 PM
FAs Ted will probably sign:

Mason Crosby
Mike Neal
Letroy Guion
BJ Raji
Nick Perry
James Starks
Chris Banjo
John Kuhn

I figure it will be just one of Mike Perry and Nick Neal
and just one of BJ Guion and Letroy Raji.

Maxie the Taxi
01-28-2016, 01:56 PM
and just one of BJ Guion and Letroy Raji.Yup, and then he'll draft rookies like Kenny Clark and Shaq Lawson to take their place. It's how TT rolls.

Tony Oday
01-28-2016, 06:49 PM
Would your heart be in it on the Lions? He will sign a $6 mil one year contract.

Rastak
01-28-2016, 07:13 PM
Would your heart be in it on the Lions? He will sign a $6 mil one year contract.

Man, another Tony special. Bookmarked.

Bretsky
01-28-2016, 08:32 PM

agree; I think the LB who signs first stays in GB.

smuggler
01-28-2016, 10:10 PM
Not gonna happen. Calvin's gonna make 10M/yr easy in FA. Can't afford him, Nelson and Cobb. Not when in 2017 they have to re-sign Sitton, Lang, Bak, Tretter and possibly Lacy.

Really think we are going to re-sign Sitton after next season? I don't... :/

Patler
01-28-2016, 11:39 PM
Really think we are going to re-sign Sitton after next season? I don't... :/

He's not yet 30, but will be this summer. I think he will get one more contract from the packers, unless they find a couple young Sitton-like players during next season.

wist43
01-28-2016, 11:45 PM
I would like to see all of the front seven FA's back... the front seven actually played pretty well - in spite of dunderdummy.

If we take another step backward on defense - we won't be able to compete again for another year.

And that is the poison pill of TT's philosophy - it is unlikely that he will ever bring it all together in a given year. As he restricts himself to one avenue of player procurement, it becomes a whack-a-mole situation. When does it all come together, unless he fills holes enough to get us over the top??

We had our best chance last year - and MM blew it; but this year TT and MM blew it together; now, that slightly open window is going to close, and it is right back to the drawing board.

As I said a decade ago, TT's philosophy, if strictly adhered to, will land up perpetually at 10-6, a playoff team that can't cash the check. Sans '10 (the fart in the wind), that has been the case.

Fritz
01-29-2016, 05:07 AM
And don't forget, 2010 was sheer luck!

mraynrand
01-29-2016, 07:29 AM
I would like to see all of the front seven FA's back... the front seven actually played pretty well - in spite of dunderdummy.

If we take another step backward on defense - we won't be able to compete again for another year.

And that is the poison pill of TT's philosophy - it is unlikely that he will ever bring it all together in a given year. As he restricts himself to one avenue of player procurement, it becomes a whack-a-mole situation. When does it all come together, unless he fills holes enough to get us over the top??

We had our best chance last year - and MM blew it; but this year TT and MM blew it together; now, that slightly open window is going to close, and it is right back to the drawing board.

As I said a decade ago, TT's philosophy, if strictly adhered to, will land up perpetually at 10-6, a playoff team that can't cash the check. Sans '10 (the fart in the wind), that has been the case.

All is lost. This is why I welcome the sweet meteor of death.

http://carlevangelista.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/sky-is-falling1.jpg

Patler
01-29-2016, 08:20 AM
2010 - SB Win.
2011 - Preseason favorite to win, 15-1 record, but deficiencies exposed.
2012 - Win Division, 1-1 in playoffs.
2013 - AR injured, out 8 games; backup QB injured, out 7 games; team still win division.
2014 - Injury to AR, but made it to within a few minutes game time of being in the SB.
2015 - A preseason SB favorite, offense fails due to injury and poor play, lose division for first time in forever, 1-1 in playoffs.

So, in the past 6 seasons, they won one SB, were within a Bostick second of a return to the SB, and were a preseason favorite to get there in two other seasons. In four of six seasons they won SB, were almost there, or picked preseason to be there; and made playoffs in the other two seasons while winning their Division.

I guess I never realized just how awful TT is at assembling a team.

Maxie the Taxi
01-29-2016, 08:40 AM
Unfortunately, professional sports is an industry in which success is described as winning a championship, in football, that's winning the Super Bowl. This isn't my crazy notion, it's what each team freely admits and sells to its fans. So you can't blame the fans for holding teams to the standard the owners and players set.

Obviously, the odds are against any one team winning the Super Bowl year after year. Obviously, some fans, if not most fans, enjoy the game and their home teams for what they are and for their hard fought attempts to win every year.

But that doesn't make illegitimate some fans' complaints that their team seldom wins the big enchilada.

mraynrand
01-29-2016, 08:45 AM
But that doesn't make illegitimate some fans' complaints that their team seldom wins the big enchilada.

Sure, but a little perspective couldn't hurt, especially when you are one of the best franchises in football. And even the very best come up short more often than not. Wist is just a doom and gloom negative conspiratorial guy. It's what he does.

Maxie the Taxi
01-29-2016, 08:54 AM
Sure, but a little perspective couldn't hurt, especially when you are one of the best franchises in football. And even the very best come up short more often than not. Wist is just a doom and gloom negative conspiratorial guy. It's what he does.Yeah, I know that...but Wist is Wist so I don't try to change his mind.

I'm one of those who wants the Pack to play in the Super Bowl every year, though I realize it's not practical. When they fail, I get surly and analytical about what went wrong, even though reason tells me luck plays a part. On the other hand, Stubby's game management in the playoff game last year and his failure to go for two this year are not luck IMO. So I want that fixed for next year. And that's open to discussion. But that's just me...

3irty1
01-29-2016, 09:35 AM

I think its time you unveil the next generation moniker for Capers. We loved spraypaint hair for a season or two, we've endured dunderdummy for ages yet somehow it still feels contrived, what's next already?

Pugger
01-29-2016, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure Calvin Johnson's heart is in it anymore. A number of players have said they expect him to retire.
It would be interesting to see him in GB. A good way to avoid sacks, just throw high to CJ.

Of course a last chance at a ring could do his heart good...

mraynrand
01-29-2016, 10:24 AM
I think its time you unveil the next generation moniker for Capers.

Never!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-keHurp8PQ

Pugger
01-29-2016, 10:24 AM

I doubt BJ and Letroy will cost much and these big fellas need a breather so you can't have too many of 'em. I'd probably take the younger Perry over Neal unless some team throws money at Nick but I kinda doubt it.

Pugger
01-29-2016, 10:26 AM
2010 - SB Win.
2011 - Preseason favorite to win, 15-1 record, but deficiencies exposed.
2012 - Win Division, 1-1 in playoffs.
2013 - AR injured, out 8 games; backup QB injured, out 7 games; team still win division.
2014 - Injury to AR, but made it to within a few minutes game time of being in the SB.
2015 - A preseason SB favorite, offense fails due to injury and poor play, lose division for first time in forever, 1-1 in playoffs.

So, in the past 6 seasons, they won one SB, were within a Bostick second of a return to the SB, and were a preseason favorite to get there in two other seasons. In four of six seasons they won SB, were almost there, or picked preseason to be there; and made playoffs in the other two seasons while winning their Division.

I guess I never realized just how awful TT is at assembling a team.

QFT

Guiness
01-29-2016, 04:21 PM
McGinn trying to stir the pot?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/24/report-mccarthy-fed-up-with-thompsons-approach-to-free-agency/

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/blame-for-underachieving-season-falls-on-mike-mccarthy-ted-thompson-b99656523z1-366325731.html

Joemailman
01-29-2016, 04:30 PM
McGinn trying to stir the pot?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/24/report-mccarthy-fed-up-with-thompsons-approach-to-free-agency/

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/blame-for-underachieving-season-falls-on-mike-mccarthy-ted-thompson-b99656523z1-366325731.html

Where the heck you been? :wink: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?28552-MCGINN-NEW-JSO-ARTICLES-THE-BLAME-FALLS-ON

Guiness
01-29-2016, 04:42 PM
Where the heck you been? :wink: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?28552-MCGINN-NEW-JSO-ARTICLES-THE-BLAME-FALLS-ON

I looked for a *sheepish* smiley, but there doesn't seem to be one. Will this do?
http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/80/285x214/264672_1.jpg

Cheesehead Craig
01-29-2016, 05:20 PM
I looked for a *sheepish* smiley, but there doesn't seem to be one. Will this do?
http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/80/285x214/264672_1.jpg

And we have the new photo for Wist to use for Capers, just need the name

mraynrand
01-29-2016, 05:24 PM
'ol buckethead?

I like 'Escapers' or Ex-capers

'Crusades v. Capers' or Caperscrusade

I'm done

woodbuck27
02-19-2016, 09:32 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2617476-the-most-underrated-nfl-free-agents-on-the-market-in-2016

The Most Underrated NFL Free Agents on the Market in 2016

By: Richard Janvrin , Featured Columnist Feb. 18, 2016

** These guys are interesting.

** Shaun Draughn, RB, San Francisco 49ers

Anquan Boldin, WR, San Francisco 49ers

Rishard Matthews, WR, Miami Dolphins

Nick Fairley, DT, Los Angeles Rams

** Ian Williams, DT, San Francisco 49ers

Trumaine Johnson, CB, Los Angeles Rams

** Isa Abdul-Quddus, SS, Detroit Lions

please click on the LINK and see why the author likes these FA'a.

GO PACK GO !

gbgary
02-20-2016, 10:45 AM
i think there's so much discontent that he'll actually do something this offseason.

wist43
02-20-2016, 01:25 PM
And we have the new photo for Wist to use for Capers, just need the name

How about Double D, for dunderdummy... should be a calendar. DD Miss Feb...

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/1/2/0/7/9/8/7/nice-13499444548.gif