PDA

View Full Version : Packers 2016 Offseason

pbmax
01-28-2016, 01:53 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2016/01/27/packers-free-agents-who-stays-who-goes/79417808/

Pete Dougherty picks who stays and who leaves

Stays
Crosby
Raji
Neal
Starks

Leaves
Guion
Perry
Kuhn
Hayward
Jones
Barclay
Tolzien
Quarless
Goode
Richardson (retires)

Deputy Nutz
01-28-2016, 02:07 PM
fair, quite fair

Smidgeon
01-28-2016, 02:09 PM
I would try to keep Perry and Jones and Guion if he's cheap, but wouldn't break the bank on any of them. Otherwise, I agree.

But I think Kuhn will last one more year.

Patler
01-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Depending on cost, I wonder if they might go after Perry instead of Neal.

There were times this year when Perry just tossed around OL like they were nothing. He is just 25, won't turn 26 for another 3 months. I think he might be just starting to figure out how to be a pro, especially with so many nagging injuries his first few years. I would like to see him spend another couple years, at least, in GB.

Neal is 3 years older, and probably is about all he ever will be at this point. I actually do like him, and he seems to want to stay.

Some have always questioned if Perry really wants to do what he does in GB, and that might be the deciding factor. He has control now, and if he really does want to get away from a 3-4 defense, this is his opportunity to do so. I just have a feeling he could still turn out to be a guy the Packers regret losing.

Patler
01-28-2016, 02:41 PM
I would try to keep Perry and Jones and Guion if he's cheap, but wouldn't break the bank on any of them. Otherwise, I agree.

Guion could be cheap enough that they might as well bring him back even if they manage to sign Raji.

I have always liked James Jones for his attitude and hard work. I just don't see a spot for him next year, unless they are hit hard by injuries again. There isn't much reason to bring an older guy like him into camp if the "six" are all healthy and ready to go.

Kuhn almost certainly will be a minimum wage guy, and could be back unless they need the roster spot.

Carolina_Packer
01-28-2016, 03:05 PM

James Jones, I don't know about. He's not a special teams guy, and he's not an ascending player. Assuming Jordy, Cobb, Adams, Monty are all locks, then you have two remaining spots and you'd have to figure Janis and Abby will fill those spots because they can both play special teams. Also, they may draft another WR and bring in a few UDFA's like they did last year, and those guys would be competing for the 5th and 6th WR spots. I don't think Jones will have a place on the roster, more so about roster flexibility and youth/development and not cap concern.

pbmax
01-28-2016, 03:17 PM
Some have always questioned if Perry really wants to do what he does in GB, and that might be the deciding factor. He has control now, and if he really does want to get away from a 3-4 defense, this is his opportunity to do so. I just have a feeling he could still turn out to be a guy the Packers regret losing.

Very true, and we may finally answer whether he wants to be a 4-3 DE or not. I also agree with the earlier part that he might be more valuable than Neal.

Much will depend on the injury question. I suspect the Packers know the shoulder situation well enough to assess the risk.

Smidgeon
01-28-2016, 03:27 PM
James Jones, I don't know about. He's not a special teams guy, and he's not an ascending player. Assuming Jordy, Cobb, Adams, Monty are all locks, then you have two remaining spots and you'd have to figure Janis and Abby will fill those spots because they can both play special teams. Also, they may draft another WR and bring in a few UDFA's like they did last year, and those guys would be competing for the 5th and 6th WR spots. I don't think Jones will have a place on the roster, more so about roster flexibility and youth/development and not cap concern.

Whoops. My mistake. Didn't read the article and off-the-cuff assumed Datone Jones.

James Jones is gone. No room on the roster but tons of appreciation.

Carolina_Packer
01-28-2016, 03:30 PM
Datone will be an UFA after this coming season.

Fritz
01-28-2016, 04:18 PM
In addition to Doughtery's list, I'd like to see them sign Perry and Guion.

woodbuck27
01-29-2016, 11:09 AM
Edited From:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000572265/article/2016-nfl-draft-order-and-needs-playoff-teams

2016 NFL DRAFT and Green Bay Packer Needs.... The Packers to pick in the NO. 27 spot this year::

Top need: Pass rusher

Other needs: TE, DT, OT and ILB

Top prospects at positional needs:

Note: In brackets You'll find the number where an NFL Draft Site Ranks that player. For this post the site I've chosen is DRAFTTEK and as of Friday 29 Jan. 2016.:

http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2016.asp

Pass rusher: ( 8 ) DeForest Buckner (Oregon), ( 2) Joey Bosa (Ohio State), ( 41) Leonard Floyd (Georgia);

TE: ( 75 ) Hunter Henry (Arkansas), (104) Nick Vannett (Ohio State), (95) Austin Hooper (Stanford);

DT: (37) Andrew Billings (Baylor), (17) A'Shawn Robinson (Alabama), (91) Jarran Reed (Alabama);

OT: (14) Laremy Tunsil (Ole Miss), (2) Ronnie Stanley (Notre Dame), (36 ) Jack Conklin (Michigan State);

ILB: (23 ) Reggie Ragland (Alabama), (27) Scooby Wright III (Arizona), (169)Antonio Morrison (Florida).

Analysis:

Green Bay has tried to play Clay Matthews all over the field, but he's only one man and another one like him is needed whether it is at inside or outside linebacker.

The Packers appear to be set along the offensive line, but will need to find a swing tackle who can play on the left or right side.

B.J. Raji might not be re-signed, so adding a defensive tackle with mass is likely.

The Packers are always looking for a quality combo tight end and this year should be no different.

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !!

ThunderDan
01-29-2016, 11:23 AM
We finished tied for 7th in sacks this year. So, I am not sure why that is priority #1.

We had 43 sacks for the year or 2.69 per game. Tied with Minnesota and Detroit. Denver led the league with 52 sacks.

Joemailman
01-29-2016, 11:36 AM
We finished tied for 7th in sacks this year. So, I am not sure why that is priority #1.

We had 43 sacks for the year or 2.69 per game. Tied with Minnesota and Detroit. Denver led the league with 52 sacks.

Neal and Perry are free agents. Peppers is entering the last year of his contract. It may not be their top need right now, but could turn into a need very quickly.

Carolina_Packer
01-29-2016, 12:01 PM
Neal and Perry are free agents. Peppers is entering the last year of his contract. It may not be their top need right now, but could turn into a need very quickly.

Unless they think guys like Jayrone Elliott are ascending to place that Peppers will soon vacate. That said, who doesn't need more pass rushers? As for defensive needs, here is what I consider to be the order of need.

1. ILB
2. DL
3. OLB

If we get a lights out ILB (assuming there is one to get when the Packers make their pick), then Clay can move back to OLB, which pushes the need for OLB down the list a bit.

As for DL, it somewhat depends on whether they sign Raji and/or Guion. Is Pennel and ascending player? Do the Packers still value Josh Boyd, or will he be healthy? Perhaps if they sign Guion and Raji back, they can draft a DL in the later rounds or as a college free agent.

OLB will depend on what they do with Perry and Neal. They should try and keep both, but may not. Jayrone Elliott is an ascending player. If there is a special pass rusher to be had at OLB, I'm all for that. As long as they play the 3-4, they'll continue to need a lot of good linebackers, but may not have to spend high if they can get their own guys re-signed, if the money lines up.

ThunderDan
01-29-2016, 12:06 PM

Yeah, but by the time the draft rolls around I am guessing that most of the holes will be filled. To me the biggest need is ILB. I would also like to see TE and a 3rd RB addressed in the draft also.

woodbuck27
01-29-2016, 12:44 PM

Are you retaining Julius Peppers ThunderDan? He may retire? Does he need the cash?

His contract for 2016? How much is that? Again.... does he need the cash?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/green-bay-packers/

Above.. the Packers UFA's this year? Are any of those important to the Pass rush? How many are you retaining?

PACKERS !

Patler
01-29-2016, 12:56 PM
Don't forget on DL they have last years 6th rounder, Christian Ringo, coming back, too. He was on PS, and in mid November they bumped up his salary from the standard of just over $6K per week to over $25K per week, equivalent to the rookie minimum on the regular roster. Presumably this was done to keep him from signing with someone else. Indicates they must like him at least somewhat.

They did the same with Matt Rotheram, the 6'5" 325lb guard.

ThunderDan
01-29-2016, 01:38 PM
Are you retaining Julius Peppers ThunderDan? He may retire? Does he need the cash?

His contract for 2016? How much is that? Again.... does he need the cash?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/green-bay-packers/

Above.. the Packers UFA's this year? Are any of those important to the Pass rush? How many are you retaining?

PACKERS !

Luckily, I am not retaining anyone. That isn't my job.

If I was in charge of personnel I would let Peppers walk after last year. He was great in spots last year but disappeared for long stretches of games.

Like I said above, I am guessing that most of the spots will be filled by the time the draft rolls around.

ThunderDan
01-29-2016, 01:42 PM
As Carolina Packer stated, if we can fill the ILB position that sure helps the pass rush by allowing Clay to exclusively attack the QB.

woodbuck27
01-29-2016, 01:44 PM
Luckily, I am not retaining anyone. That isn't my job.

If I was in charge of personnel I would let Peppers walk after last year. He was great in spots last year but disappeared for long stretches of games.

Like I said above, I am guessing that most of the spots will be filled by the time the draft rolls around. v

" Like I said above, I am guessing that most of the spots will be filled by the time the draft rolls around " ThunderDan

Terrific !

Then I can feel assured the Packers depth will be sound.

Guiness
01-29-2016, 04:30 PM

Pretty much a whole thread on this topic...
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?28522-Will-Jeff-Janis-be-a-*thing*-next-year

Guiness
01-29-2016, 04:32 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2016/01/27/packers-free-agents-who-stays-who-goes/79417808/

Stays
Crosby
Raji
Neal
Starks

Leaves
Guion
Perry
Kuhn
Hayward
Jones
Barclay
Tolzien
Quarless
Goode
Richardson (retires)

So I scanned and re-scanned the list, and feel the need to point out a missing name on the Leaves list.
Mathsay!!!!!

In other news, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kuhn around another year, and I'd also like to see Perry stay.

mraynrand
01-29-2016, 05:17 PM
Edited From:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000572265/article/2016-nfl-draft-order-and-needs-playoff-teams

2016 NFL DRAFT and Green Bay Packer Needs.... The Packers to pick in the NO. 27 spot this year::

Top need: Pass rusher

Other needs: TE, DT, OT and ILB

Top prospects at positional needs:

Note: In brackets You'll find the number where an NFL Draft Site Ranks that player. For this post the site I've chosen is DRAFTTEK and as of Friday 29 Jan. 2016.:

http://www.drafttek.com/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2016.asp

Pass rusher: ( 8 ) DeForest Buckner (Oregon), ( 2) Joey Bosa (Ohio State), ( 41) Leonard Floyd (Georgia);

TE: ( 75 ) Hunter Henry (Arkansas), (104) Nick Vannett (Ohio State), (95) Austin Hooper (Stanford);

DT: (37) Andrew Billings (Baylor), (17) A'Shawn Robinson (Alabama), (91) Jarran Reed (Alabama);

OT: (14) Laremy Tunsil (Ole Miss), (2) Ronnie Stanley (Notre Dame), (36 ) Jack Conklin (Michigan State);

ILB: (23 ) Reggie Ragland (Alabama), (27) Scooby Wright III (Arizona), (169)Antonio Morrison (Florida).

Analysis:

Green Bay has tried to play Clay Matthews all over the field, but he's only one man and another one like him is needed whether it is at inside or outside linebacker.

The Packers appear to be set along the offensive line, but will need to find a swing tackle who can play on the left or right side.

B.J. Raji might not be re-signed, so adding a defensive tackle with mass is likely.

The Packers are always looking for a quality combo tight end and this year should be no different.

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !!

so ILB, R/LT, DT, TE. got it.

run pMc
01-29-2016, 09:54 PM
I think they'll only keep Neal and Guion. Something tells me Raji will get a fat offer from someone like the Bears and Guion is kind of a knucklehead and won't get as much interest. I still think TT goes DL early in the draft though....he likes younger players, and Raji has an injury history.
Can Pennel play NT? They don't play many snaps of base 3-4; with Daniels, Boyd, Ringo, possibly Datone they have bodies.

I think they go with Neal over Perry, based on injury history and production. Neal played a lot of OLB snaps this year, plus has played DL in passing downs. I like Perry, but when has he ever been healthy? I think he'd be happy to stay in GB and play OLB, but I could easily see him playing DE in a 4-3. The guess here is they platoon Neal, CMIII, Elliott, Datone, and a draft pick or Mulumba, and Peppers at OLB. If Peppers retires, then things obviously change. Glad to hear they are committed to putting CMIII back at OLB. He's better there. To me that means they will draft a ILB, and the draft crop looks decent this year.

Crosby is a priority.

I didn't think Masthay's contract was up?

Starks is a good backup; I think they'll make him a modest offer. He's 29 but has low miles, relatively speaking. They need a safety net in case Lacy shows up as big as Raji. They will definitely bring in some new RB's into camp, I don't know if they'll be UDFA's or a draft pick. I like that Kenneth Dixon kid -- shifty and good receiving skills.

I think they sign Kuhn to a vet minimum contract. If Ripkowski was ready, I'd think he would've taken some snaps in the offense.

Hayward will get money elsewhere. Good for him. He's a good player, but I doubt they would invest a ton of additional money in the secondary with Burnett and Shields on significant contracts, and with how the rookies played. Maybe they draft a guy who can play in the slot.

The rest are meh to me. The sub shop guy probably took Brett Goode's job.

Pugger
01-30-2016, 10:04 AM
Did Neal really play much better than Perry? I'm not sure that's why I'm asking...

pbmax
01-30-2016, 10:13 AM
Perry had more impact than Neal but Perry was banged up again with a shoulder and a leg.

Fritz
01-30-2016, 10:13 AM
I think Perry made more splash plays, but Neal consistently got pressure and played overall, I thought, better.

One thing I'm curious about: Are the Packers going to make Datone Jones into a Mike Neal-type? That is, play OLB for two downs and then put him inside on passing downs? And if so, is he quick enough to chase down running backs?

IF he has the potential to be a full-time OLB/inside pass rush guy, then that relieves the need for taking an OLB higher in the draft, especially if you re-sign Neal or Perry.

Wonder what the plans for Datone are...

mraynrand
01-30-2016, 10:20 AM
Wonder what the plans for Datone are...

I don't recall them ever dropping him in coverage, so I can't imagine that his role would expand beyond an OLB with pass rush and run defense responsibilities, just like Perry, except with the ability to play in his end position or in the 2-4 with Neal or someone else. Neal is more versatile than Perry, but not as stout against the run. If the decision is between keeping Neal or Perry, that's a tough one. I'd be more inclined to keep Perry just because he's better versus the run.

woodbuck27
01-30-2016, 11:07 AM

Stays
Crosby
Raji
Neal
Starks

Leaves
Guion
Perry
Kuhn
Hayward
Jones
Barclay
Tolzien
Quarless
Goode
Richardson (retires)

Raji ove Guion.....REALLY ! A Finger down my throat reactiom !!!

I like Kuhn.

I like what I saw late and Nick Perry but I think very likely that he's gone. Was Nick Perry ever comfortable and playing in Green Bay?

Two 1st Rounders - Count them....one and two. Perry and then Datone JonesWOW ! **Way to pick em' TT !

** Somewhere way down that hall I hear .....an almost silent echo:

"We trust you Ted".

I'm wondering, where they still sell Animal Crackers.

1st Guy: He's just terrific in his obvious ability to pock from the talent pool of NFL prospects

2nd Guy: Who's that your referring to?

1st Guy: What NFL team do you support?

2nd Guy: Well....I'm, (pause) I'm (pause) I'm a....I'm a a a a Green Bay Packer fan.

1st Guy: Then....if that's the case...... there's no need of you to know who that great NFL GM is.

2nd Guy; Uhh...why?

1st Guy: OK a HINT... In TWO words Packer fan....... 'A WASTE'.

Likely Hayward is gone........ $$$$

mraynrand
01-30-2016, 11:18 AM
I like what I saw late and Nick Perry but I think very likely that he's gone. Was Nick Perry ever comfortable and playing in Green Bay?

Two 1st Rounders ....Count em....one and two......Perry and then Datone Jones... WOW ! **Way to pick em' TT !

** Somewhere way .....down........ that hall............. I hear .......an almost silent echo:

"We ...........trust.................... you............................................... ....... Ted".
I'm wondering ...........................where they still sell...................................... Animal Crackers.

This isn't an argument, or standard english for that matter. It would be nice if you could make a cohesive statement at some point, instead of displaying these whining tantrums too juvenile even for a typical five year old.

woodbuck27
01-30-2016, 11:30 AM
This isn't an argument, or standard english for that matter. It would be nice if you could make a cohesive statement at some point, instead of displaying these whining tantrums too juvenile even for a typical five year old.

Here's 2 bits...would you hire on as editor?

No ! Your not worth that much !

mraynrand
01-30-2016, 11:47 AM
Here's 2 bits...would you hire on as editor?

No ! Your not worth that much !

Was this supposed to be a rebuttal? Try again.

woodbuck27
01-30-2016, 11:51 AM
Was this supposed to be a rebuttal? Try again.

I edited my post and.........as per your style of criticism and general attitude and demeanour here ....your abusive.

mraynrand
01-30-2016, 12:07 PM
I edited my post and.........as per your style of criticism and general attitude and demeanour here ....you're abusive.

FIFY or you could use "you are"

mraynrand
01-30-2016, 12:13 PM
Raji ove Guion.....REALLY ! A Finger down my throat reactiom !!!

I like Kuhn.

Two 1st Rounders - Count them....one and two. Perry and then Datone JonesWOW ! **Way to pick em' TT !

** Somewhere way down that hall I hear .....an almost silent echo:

"We trust you Ted".

I'm wondering, where they still sell Animal Crackers.

This is 'edited?' So what? There's still no argument or point here.

woodbuck27
01-30-2016, 01:15 PM
This is 'edited?' So what? There's still no argument or point here.

Ohh .....

http://www.aaron-gray.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/scrum-methodology.jpg

Rutnstrut
01-30-2016, 02:25 PM
As long as Peppers isn't back, the offseason will be a success. Not quite as big of a success as last year when they got rid of Brad Jones, but almost.

mraynrand
01-30-2016, 02:31 PM
As long as Peppers isn't back, the offseason will be a success. Not quite as big of a success as last year when they got rid of Brad Jones, but almost.

That doesn't make sense to me. I thought Peppers was down a bit this year, and will be next, but he did have 10 sacks and play the run. If he could be retained and play 1/3 of the snaps and still get his 10 sacks next year, wouldn't that be a positive? For the record, I don't think that will happen, but it could.

Rutnstrut
01-30-2016, 02:34 PM
That doesn't make sense to me. I thought Peppers was down a bit this year, and will be next, but he did have 10 sacks and play the run. If he could be retained and play 1/3 of the snaps and still get his 10 sacks next year, wouldn't that be a positive? For the record, I don't think that will happen, but it could.

So if he is in for less plays does he still take the same amount of plays off? If so he will have 5.6789 productive plays all season.

pbmax
01-30-2016, 06:01 PM
A lot of writers thought Raji was having a better season than Guion. The only contrary point I have seen is that Guion might have been a bit more effective versus the run while on the field. But he gave up a lot of snaps to Pennell especially early in the season.

pbmax
01-30-2016, 06:02 PM
I do think the Packers could use another playmaker in the front seven. But I don't think letting Peppers go changes that for the better at all. Makes it worse even if he is wearing down.

Rutnstrut
01-30-2016, 08:53 PM
I do think the Packers could use another playmaker in the front seven. But I don't think letting Peppers go changes that for the better at all. Makes it worse even if he is wearing down.

If he stays they definitely should reduce the amount they use him.

Joemailman
01-30-2016, 09:34 PM
If he stays they definitely should reduce the amount they use him.

They have been doing that. Peppers only played 44% of the plays in 2015, after 50% in 2014. He's always had a reputation as a talented guy who takes some play off. But if it seems like he's taking a lot of plays off, it might just be that he's not on the field as much as some people think.

mraynrand
01-31-2016, 11:40 AM
So if he is in for less plays does he still take the same amount of plays off? If so he will have 5.6789 productive plays all season.

Uhh..no. I think the idea is that if you reduce his snaps by 2/3, you would get everything he's got on every snap. It might work. It really depends how much he's slipped. I don't have a good gauge for that at all. Mostly old, or mostly slacker or a little bit 'o both?

jklowan
02-10-2016, 02:46 PM
So if they sign these guys, what are they worth and what's left over in cap space from the 25 Million we have

Stays
Crosby 3-4 mill a season
Raji 5 mill
Neal 5 mill
Starks 2 Mill
Perry 6 mill
Kuhn vet min 800,00

doesn't leave much when you add in draft pick space, I don't see any free agent signings...hope we have a good draft

maybe...
27: R1P27
ILB REGGIE RAGLAND- ALABAMA
57: R2P26
OLB JAYLON SMITH- NOTRE DAME
88: R3P25
TE NICK VANNETT - OHIO STATE
126: R4P27
RB C.J. PROSISE- NOTRE DAME
132: R4P33
DT MALIEK COLLINS- NEBRASKA
138: R4P39
OT JOE HAEG- NORTH DAKOTA STATE
163: R5P24
CB ERIC MURRAY - MINNESOTA
203: R6P25
OLB JOE SCHOBERT - WISCONSIN
246: R7P27
S JORDAN LUCAS - PENN STATE

pbmax
02-10-2016, 04:16 PM
JS Comments ‏@JSComments 9m9 minutes ago
Russell is almost certainly doing charity work today while 12 chases Hollywood harlots

#Someone doesn't know who Russell is dating

mraynrand
02-10-2016, 04:49 PM
JS Comments ‏@JSComments 9m9 minutes ago
Russell is almost certainly doing charity work today while 12 chases Hollywood harlots

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/article/media_slots/photos/002/080/916/bf1067fac50090d8fa0dfc5b1caefc0e_crop_north.jpg?w= 759&h=506&q=75

run pMc
02-10-2016, 08:56 PM
So if they sign these guys, what are they worth and what's left over in cap space from the 25 Million we have

Stays
Crosby 3-4 mill a season
Raji 5 mill
Neal 5 mill
Starks 2 Mill
Perry 6 mill
Kuhn vet min 800,00

doesn't leave much when you add in draft pick space, I don't see any free agent signings...hope we have a good draft

maybe...
27: R1P27
ILB REGGIE RAGLAND- ALABAMA
57: R2P26
OLB JAYLON SMITH- NOTRE DAME
88: R3P25
TE NICK VANNETT - OHIO STATE
126: R4P27
RB C.J. PROSISE- NOTRE DAME
132: R4P33
DT MALIEK COLLINS- NEBRASKA
138: R4P39
OT JOE HAEG- NORTH DAKOTA STATE
163: R5P24
CB ERIC MURRAY - MINNESOTA
203: R6P25
OLB JOE SCHOBERT - WISCONSIN
246: R7P27
S JORDAN LUCAS - PENN STATE

I don't think they keep Neal AND Perry unless Peppers retires. Is Raji worth 5 million? Is he that much better than Guion? i think they keep one of Raji/Guion, with preference to Raji. That said, I don't think TT is going to dip into FA. I bet he's already thinking ahead to next offseason when he has to figure out what to do about Bahktiari and the rest of the Oline.

As for your draft, I'd shit my pants if the Packers got Jaylon Smith that late in Round 2. I also think Schobert goes higher than R6 (barring a medical flag or arrest.) I think TT will draft 2 OL. When do they announce the comp picks for House and Tramon?

I gotta look up this Haeg guy -- everybody's mock has him.

jklowan
02-11-2016, 08:14 AM
Yeah I don't know what the salary of these players will be just wild guesses, was looking to see what some of the other poster thought

The mock I did had both comp picks in the 4th which I think is unlikely, probably a 4th and a 5th

KYPack
02-11-2016, 09:07 AM
Most say we get a 4th and a 5th comp for the 2 CB's.

I'm hopin' 2 4's.

You can still snag some players with a 4.

Zool
02-11-2016, 03:39 PM
Please let this be the last year for Kuhn.

Joemailman
02-11-2016, 07:36 PM
Most say we get a 4th and a 5th comp for the 2 CB's.

I'm hopin' 2 4's.

You can still snag some players with a 4.

4th is TT's offensive line round. Sitton, Lang, Bakhtiari and Tretter.

Teamcheez1
02-11-2016, 08:50 PM
How about cutting Peppers and signing Bruce Irvin? You get a pass rusher that is almost 10 years younger.

pbmax
02-17-2016, 06:33 PM
Packers have finally announced their coaching hires (and changes!) for the 2016 season.

Brian Angelicho for the TEs. Ben Sirmans for RBs. Legendary Offensive Quality Control Coach Luke Getsy* was promoted to WR coach. Coaching administrator David Raih has been promoted to Assistant O Line Coach. And Ejiro Evero was named defensive quality control coach.

Van Pelt on has QBs now. Bennet and Clements are apparently splitting the duties of Offensive Quality Control.

* You will be stunned to learn that he has a background with Pitt. Despite geographic favoritism, he is a coach who has a pretty wide resume at a young age (OC at Western Michigan and WR coach at IUP) and apparently is thought of highly by the Packers.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2016/02/17/packers-promote-getsy-receivers-coach/80525232/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/17/packers-finalize-coaching-staff/

Striker
02-17-2016, 07:27 PM
Glad to have dedicated position coaches again after MM's multitasking experiment failed so spectacularly.

KYPack
02-17-2016, 09:56 PM
Packers have finally announced their coaching hires (and changes!) for the 2016 season.

Brian Angelicho for the TEs. Ben Sirmans for RBs. Legendary Offensive Quality Control Coach Luke Getsy* was promoted to WR coach. Coaching administrator David Raih has been promoted to Assistant O Line Coach. And Ejiro Evero was named defensive quality control coach.

Van Pelt on has QBs now. Bennet and Clements are apparently splitting the duties of Offensive Quality Control.

* You will be stunned to learn that he has a background with Pitt. Despite geographic favoritism, he is a coach who has a pretty wide resume at a young age (OC at Western Michigan and WR coach at IUP) and apparently is thought of highly by the Packers.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2016/02/17/packers-promote-getsy-receivers-coach/80525232/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/17/packers-finalize-coaching-staff/

A "Quality Control" coach is an entre level coaching position.

AKA "piss boy". Keeping track of balls and blowing the horn at practice type shit.

mraynrand
02-17-2016, 10:34 PM
Glad to have dedicated position coaches again after MM's multitasking experiment failed so spectacularly.

But did it really? ST improved, defense seemed pretty solid. Offense was messy, but there were obvious injury issues that contributed. There's no doubt the changes weren't the right fit (otherwise they wouldn't have adjusted), but it wasn't an across the board disaster.

Smidgeon
02-17-2016, 10:39 PM
Just pointing out that the experiment that failed so spectacularly was qualified to the multitasking one in the comment... With which I agree.

pbmax
02-17-2016, 11:51 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 2h2 hours ago
Mike McCarthy tells Larry McCarren that Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb "expressed a desire" for Luke Getsy to be the #Packers receivers coach.

pbmax
02-17-2016, 11:53 PM
A "Quality Control" coach is an entre level coaching position.

AKA "piss boy". Keeping track of balls and blowing the horn at practice type shit.

Yeah, I know. But given that one is OC and doesn't design game plans or call the plays and the other is Associate Head Coach and doesn't conduct practice, I figure they are now at least both in charge of printing and laminating M3's play sheet.

Pugger
02-18-2016, 06:17 AM
Just pointing out that the experiment that failed so spectacularly was qualified to the multitasking one in the comment... With which I agree.

IMO the only multitasking experiment that failed last year was having Van Pelt coach both QBs and WRs. I'm glad Mike has a separate position coach for WRs again.

Smidgeon
02-18-2016, 08:17 AM
Exactly

pbmax
02-18-2016, 11:45 AM
McCarthy's Coaching Hire, Pre Combine Press Conference.

I predict many mentions of program, calendar and timetable.

1. RB/TE coach changes. Offers nothing but thanks for service to exits. new coaching bring some new ideas in.

2. New ideas not all, its a performance business, getting players to respond. Sometimes change lets you improve that process.

3. New guys were candidates off recommendations, not previous contacts.

4. Plan last year did not achieve its goal. Thinks changes have been too often cited as excuses. But current structure and assignments are similar to past, so no more blame in that direction.

5. His schedule Monday same (review game), Tuesday/Wednesday still doing things he started to do last year across team, Thursday/Friday back to game plan.

6. Thinks Lacy's offseason conditioning is improving as we speak.

7. Across the board view he thinks helped Defense (but still needs to improve to be Championship level) and made definitely uptick in ST. Offense was disappointing across the board and needs to get back to basics.

8. New guy David had a tremendous interview two years ago. Next guy up Luke bested it and got the job. Loves having both.

wist43
02-18-2016, 10:03 PM

I would like to bring the front seven back intact if we could... Capers is finally using them to their strengths, and some of the guys have developed from where they were a couple of years ago.

To what we have, my biggest wishlist item would be a speed ILB that can play sideline to the sideline, play downhill, cover, instinctual down the seam... we need a piece of dynamite in the middle of that defense.

Secondly on the wishlist would be - if Raji doesn't come back, make sure his replacement is an upgrade. I really like Daniels and Guion as a tandem. Don't think Jones has carried his weight; Pennel showed some improvement... still, I'd like to see more out of the DL. This is a good year for DT's in the draft, so maybe we can get some help there?

Carolina_Packer
02-19-2016, 05:34 AM
I would like to bring the front seven back intact if we could... Capers is finally using them to their strengths, and some of the guys have developed from where they were a couple of years ago.

To what we have, my biggest wishlist item would be a speed ILB that can play sideline to the sideline, play downhill, cover, instinctual down the seam... we need a piece of dynamite in the middle of that defense.

Secondly on the wishlist would be - if Raji doesn't come back, make sure his replacement is an upgrade. I really like Daniels and Guion as a tandem. Don't think Jones has carried his weight; Pennel showed some improvement... still, I'd like to see more out of the DL. This is a good year for DT's in the draft, so maybe we can get some help there?

As unlikely as it might be, should both Sheldon Rankins and Noah Spence fall to where the Packers are drafting, which one do you choose and why?

wist43
02-19-2016, 07:15 AM
As unlikely as it might be, should both Sheldon Rankins and Noah Spence fall to where the Packers are drafting, which one do you choose and why?

Love Rankins, don't see him dropping to us - we'd have to move up to get him. Seriously doubt TT would do that. Rankins is very quick, very tough for any OL to handle. Spence on the hand, I have to look at him more. He has some off field baggage. He'd have to play standing up IMO.

Definitely like Rankins over Spence.

Cheesehead Craig
02-19-2016, 08:53 AM
Interesting how the mock drafts love Spence more than Rankins. Spence is a consensus top 12 pick from what I've seen. Rankins can be anywhere from a #10 pick to early 2nd round, with the majority I've seen having him in the mid 20's. Not surprising given Spence is a great edge rusher.

Striker
02-19-2016, 10:21 AM

^^^

MM's hands on approach everywhere seemed to be fine. It was the combined position coaches that, at least from an outside glance, let everyone down.

pbmax
02-19-2016, 11:22 AM
^^^

MM's hands on approach everywhere seemed to be fine. It was the combined position coaches that, at least from an outside glance, let everyone down.

I think M3 agrees with you. I haven't read the papers coverage yet, but I saw most of the PC live. Essentially that Van Pelt was made QB coach again, and Getsy got the WR job so that Bennett and Clements could continue to do the jobs they did last year. I *think* that means he is still pushing some overall OC responsibilities on each of them (practice planning definitely, maybe scouting, game review, etc.) so that he can still meet with the D and the ST midweek.

But he said by the end of the week he would be back to planning the O for the game.

Fritz
02-20-2016, 09:32 AM

Wow. I agree wholeheartedly with Wist on something. This means Armageddon is here. Better all get yourselves generators, lots of gas, weapons, ammo, and canned goods.

mraynrand
02-20-2016, 09:59 AM
Wow. I agree wholeheartedly with Wist on something. This means Armageddon is here. Better all get yourselves generators, lots of gas, weapons, ammo, and canned goods.

It's not much of a stretch to have people agree on wanting a Shazier or Urlacher at ILB.

But, in any case, don't forget a barrel of potable water, water treatment solution, dried legumes, and MREs.

Fritz
02-22-2016, 06:53 AM
It's not much of a stretch to have people agree on wanting a Shazier or Urlacher at ILB.

But, in any case, don't forget a barrel of potable water, water treatment solution, dried legumes, and MREs.

When it comes to me and Wist, any agreement whatsoever is a stretch.

pbmax
02-25-2016, 06:10 PM
Ty Montgomery might not be back until camp after his ankle surgery. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14845166/green-bay-packers-coach-mike-mccarthy-expects-aaron-rodgers-jordy-nelson-back-otas

McCarthy joked that Rodgers looked fine on the golf course. Rodgers played in the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am earlier this month. In another injury note, McCarthy said receiver Ty Montgomery, who played in only six games before undergoing ankle surgery, may not be ready until the start of training camp.

Rodgers (fully) and Nelson (limited) expected to be available in OTAs.

Raji and Packers still talking.

Crosby and Packers honing in on deal.
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
The Packers have been in regular talks with kicker Mason Crosby's agent, Mike McCartney, and expect to get a deal done without using the franchise tag, according to a source at the NFL combine.

run pMc
02-25-2016, 07:11 PM
What the heck really happened to Ty's ankle? He get it sawed off by the lady from 'Audition'?

Joemailman
02-25-2016, 07:21 PM
What the heck really happened to Ty's ankle? He get it sawed off by the lady from 'Audition'?

Pretty sure he had offseaspn surgery. Not unusual for the Packers to hold guys out who had surgery until training camp.

pbmax
02-26-2016, 09:16 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/28256/packers-mike-mccarthy-we-might-shock-you-this-year-in-free-agency

“Being the key decision-maker, whether it’s player acquisition or player instruction, someone has to say no,” McCarthy said. “That’s why they have a chain of command. That’s why you have responsibilities. Someone has to be the bad guy. You guys who have kids, you know what I’m talking about. I’m tired of being the bad guy.”

Just a comment about being a Dad, right?

pbmax
02-26-2016, 09:55 AM
From same ESPN article:

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 27m27 minutes ago
If 52 at OLB, who is ILB? MM said this on Jake Ryan "Jake played better than I think you realize, with his individual grades."

hoosier
02-26-2016, 10:39 AM
The Packers have been in regular talks with kicker Mason Crosby's agent, Mike McCartney, and expect to get a deal done without using the franchise tag, according to a source at the NFL combine.

Nepotism!!!!

3irty1
02-26-2016, 11:54 AM
Don't think Jones has carried his weight;

I feel about Jones how I feel about Perry. Once in a while the guy will blow me away and look like he's playing against highschoolers. Unlike Perry, Jones is still inexperienced enough that I feel more optimistic about his odds of being a difference maker. I don't think anyone on the front 7 has as big of a step to take nor is as likely to actually take that step.

pbmax
02-26-2016, 01:50 PM
Summary of the rest of M3's Interview inside a Sports Pub.

1. Matthews - outside
2. ARod's knee - coaches knew
3. ARod in OTA - yes
4. Nelson in OTZ - limited
5. Nelson camp - yes
6. Raji - want him back
7. Peppers - think he is back
8. Mike Pennel? - still one of their guys
9. Monty's long inactive streak - kept trying to come back rather than shut it down. surgery much earlier for many others
10. People's Champion Janis? - If you are a fan of Janis, then you are a fan of Luke Getsy. Took on the job of teaching Janis how to catch ball over shoulder in Week 7. Improved by bye week.
11. Adams - routes were not as good, steps were shorter. Possibly injury or confidence.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-coach-mike-mccarthy-provides-off-season-briefing-b99676719z1-370218481.html

woodbuck27
02-26-2016, 09:49 PM
Summary of the rest of M3's Interview inside a Sports Pub.

1. Matthews - outside
2. ARod's knee - coaches knew
3. ARod in OTA - yes
4. Nelson in OTZ - limited
5. Nelson camp - yes
6. Raji - want him back
7. Peppers - think he is back
8. Mike Pennel? - still one of their guys
9. Monty's long inactive streak - kept trying to come back rather than shut it down. surgery much earlier for many others
10. People's Champion Janis? - If you are a fan of Janis, then you are a fan of Luke Getsy. Took on the job of teaching Janis how to catch ball over shoulder in Week 7. Improved by bye week.
11. Adams - routes were not as good, steps were shorter. Possibly injury or confidence.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-coach-mike-mccarthy-provides-off-season-briefing-b99676719z1-370218481.html

It's all good.

pbmax
02-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Kinda looking forward to the end of this deal.

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 2h2 hours ago
Our free-agent countdown continues with mutual interest between #Packers and John Kuhn about a possible return http://gbpg.net/1oTloYL

pbmax
02-29-2016, 05:58 PM
Packers News ‏@PGPackersNews 51m51 minutes ago
Damarious Randall was driving when Jaelen Strong was arrested for marijuana possession http://pck.rs/24xD50d

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/29/texans-disappointed-in-strongs-arrest-offer-no-further-comment/

Holy cow. Damarious must have had all his ducks in a row. Nice job.

Patler
02-29-2016, 06:48 PM
Packers News ‏@PGPackersNews 51m51 minutes ago
Damarious Randall was driving when Jaelen Strong was arrested for marijuana possession
Holy cow. Damarious must have had all his ducks in a row. Nice job.

Apparently, except for not having a properly displayed license plate. If he had, they wouldn't have been stopped.

Decent of Strong t admit it was him. But, let's think about it. The cops smelled marijuana. There were three guys in the car, and Srong "gave an officer a cigar box with three marijuana cigarettes in it. " Did he bring one for each of them?

Joemailman
02-29-2016, 07:26 PM
In honor of Leap Day...

http://i.imgur.com/Nu9oMXn.gifv

woodbuck27
03-03-2016, 09:28 PM
In honor of Leap Day...

http://i.imgur.com/Nu9oMXn.gifv

The best timed 'Lambeau Leap' ............ ever !

pbmax
03-04-2016, 10:56 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 3m3 minutes ago
Text from someone who has seen the new Lacy: "He's going to be better than ever." Wouldn't disclose current weight though.

pbmax
03-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 24m24 minutes ago
#Packers have $19.63M in cap room after Crosby deal. Won't RFA tender Mulumba and probably won't L. Taylor either. Plenty of $$ to work with

Carolina_Packer
03-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 24m24 minutes ago
#Packers have $19.63M in cap room after Crosby deal. Won't RFA tender Mulumba and probably won't L. Taylor either. Plenty of $$ to work with

I know Malumba has dealt with injury, but is there anything else there that was holding him back? He looked like he was a rising talent and now he might be gone. I know that kind of development is not out of the ordinary; I just thought he would stick. I wonder what happened in his case.

Smidgeon
03-04-2016, 01:08 PM
I know Malumba has dealt with injury, but is there anything else there that was holding him back? He looked like he was a rising talent and now he might be gone. I know that kind of development is not out of the ordinary; I just thought he would stick. I wonder what happened in his case.

Frank Zombo 2.0

Better than advertised, but still not a top tier talent.

Cheesehead Craig
03-04-2016, 01:18 PM
Can the Pack just sign Trevathan and get it over with?

Patler
03-04-2016, 01:30 PM

I could be wrong, but I think the only time he really showed anything was a couple preseason games his rookie year. I don't think he has done much since then.

jklowan
03-04-2016, 01:42 PM
Do we have room to do something like this with about 19.5 mil left against the cap after Crosby was signed...

PACKERS
Free Agents
Danny Trevathan - ILB
Matt Forte - TE
Jared Cook - TE

Our Own Free Agents still unsighed...
Nick Perry - OLB
John Kuhn - FB

Potential Draft Rookies
Round 1-OT TAYLOR DECKER
Round 2-DT SHELDON DAY
Round 3 - TE AUSTIN HOOPER
Round 4 - RB C.J. PROSISE
Round 4 - OT JOE HAEG
Round 4 - S MILES KILLEBREW
Round 5 - ILB JOSH FORREST
Round 6 - OLB TRAVIS FEENEY
Round 7 - DT VINCENT VALENTINE

Patler
03-04-2016, 01:43 PM
RFA tenders for guys like Mulumba and Taylor aren't really in the cards. The lowest tender is about $1.5M. Minimum salary for a 4th year player is half that. Is either one worth 2x the minimum salary? *Is any other team going to pay them much more than minimum? I doubt it.

I would not be surprised to see either or both resigned by the Packers at something up to about $1M, but probably closer to $800,000. Or, maybe a two year contract at minimum salaries, and a signing bonus of $100,000 - $200,000.

smuggler
03-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Mulumba maybe. Taylor no.

run pMc
03-04-2016, 05:08 PM

I thought Taylor played ok when he came off the bench this year? I'm guessing they sign him for something, but agree offering them a tender isn't really smart since they can be signed for less, plus as UDFA there would be no comp if they signed elsewhere. Mulumba might be done here; depends on what happens with Neal/Perry.

woodbuck27
03-04-2016, 05:35 PM
Do we have room to do something like this with about 19.5 mil left against the cap after Crosby was signed...

PACKERS
Free Agents
Danny Trevathan - ILB
Matt Forte - TE
Jared Cook - TE

Our Own Free Agents still unsighed...
Nick Perry - OLB
John Kuhn - FB

Potential Draft Rookies
Round 1-OT TAYLOR DECKER
Round 2-DT SHELDON DAY
Round 3 - TE AUSTIN HOOPER
Round 4 - RB C.J. PROSISE
Round 4 - OT JOE HAEG
Round 4 - S MILES KILLEBREW
Round 5 - ILB JOSH FORREST
Round 6 - OLB TRAVIS FEENEY
Round 7 - DT VINCENT VALENTINE

Here's your Model:

What's that Draft Class going to cost the CAP?

Start there and work backwards to all FA retentions and additions.

Patler
03-04-2016, 09:37 PM

Mulumba was inactive for 9 the last 10 games. I think his time in GB is probably over, unless neither Neal or Perry comes back.

Guiness
03-05-2016, 11:35 AM

Free Agents
Danny Trevathan - ILB
Matt Forte - TE
Jared Cook - TE

I don't think Matt Forte is the answer to the TE question! :???::no:

jklowan
03-05-2016, 11:49 AM
I don't think Matt Forte is the answer to the TE question! :???::no:

Yeah I meant RB there :)

Smidgeon
03-05-2016, 08:20 PM
Forte isn't the answer there either.

pbmax
03-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Jason_OTC ‏@Jason_OTC 41m41 minutes ago
Heyward varies. Raji probably $3-4M still

OTC is Over the Cap: http://overthecap.com

pbmax
03-07-2016, 09:33 AM
Can you till trade Tolzien?

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 12m12 minutes ago
The #Colts released QB Josh Freeman, and with Matt Hasselbeck not returning, they now need a backup for Andrew Luck.

pbmax
03-07-2016, 09:37 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 19m19 minutes ago
NFLPA's adjusted cap numbers, by team http://wp.me/p14QSB-9ZRf

Jaguars: $190,301,710.
Browns: $176,686,294.
49ers: $176,581,934.
Titans: $176,357,826.
Raiders: $168,332,753.
Giants: $167,320,159.
Dolphins: $166,767,319.
Packers: $163,439,289.
Bengals: $162,677,552.
Washington: $161,964,024.
Eagles: $161,570,362.
Buccaneers: $161,138,366.
Colts: $160,609,029.
Patriots: $159,642,451.
Cowboys: $159,261,183.
Cardinals: $158,968,416.
Falcons: $158,801,671.
Chiefs: $157,995,930.
Panthers: $157,993,141.
Steelers: $157,628,978.
Jets: $157,528,734.
Bills: $157,375,731.
Lions: $157,311,216.
Texans: $157,186,080.
Vikings: $156,914,717.
Chargers: $156,774,767.
Bears: $156,588,879.
Rams: $155,665,189.
Saints: $155,562,062.
Ravens: $155,178,755.
Seahawks: $154,522,927.
Broncos: $154,095,041.

pbmax
03-07-2016, 09:50 AM
^
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h1 hour ago
Based on http://OverTheCap.com 's spending numbers, that would leave the #Packers at $20.85 million of cap space.

pbmax
03-07-2016, 10:09 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 27m27 minutes ago
Report: Giants will release Victor Cruz if he doesn't take pay cut http://wp.me/p14QSB-9ZRv

Dianna Marie RussiniVerified account
‏@diannaESPN
The Redskins are informing RG3 today they are releasing him per sources.

Fritz
03-07-2016, 10:46 AM
Funny, the cap is going up quite a bit, but teams seem to be being conservative with their money. Did aliens take over Dan Snyder's body?

Fritz
03-10-2016, 02:00 PM
Never mind the above. The crazy signings are well underway.

pbmax
03-11-2016, 05:10 PM
Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 2m2 minutes ago
The first #Packers free agent is off the board. The #Colts have signed QB Scott Tolzen, per @JimIrsay

Brett Hundley could not be denied.

woodbuck27
03-11-2016, 09:10 PM
Jason_OTC ‏@Jason_OTC 41m41 minutes ago
Heyward varies. Raji probably $3-4M still

OTC is Over the Cap: http://overthecap.com

This WR from your LINK:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14949762/chris-hogan-agrees-offer-sheet-new-england-patriots-buffalo-bills-match-offer

Newly acquired by the NE Patriots from the Buffalo Bills WR Chris Hogan (a fine athlete with speed and great strength) will be an interesting watch for me next season.

Has he been flying under the radar?

RonWolfGOAT
03-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Bears sign Jerrell Freeman, 4m per year. https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/708737429520433153

Patler
03-12-2016, 02:19 PM
This WR from your LINK:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14949762/chris-hogan-agrees-offer-sheet-new-england-patriots-buffalo-bills-match-offer

Newly acquired by the NE Patriots from the Buffalo Bills WR Chris Hogan (a fine athlete with speed and great strength) will be an interesting watch for me next season.

Has he been flying under the radar?

Interesting that the Bills tendered him as a RFA with only the low tender, knowing they would get nothing if he signed elsewhere because he was undrafted. Obviously they did not value him highly. I know their salary cap isn't in the best shape, but even so....

Patler
03-12-2016, 02:25 PM
Bears sign Jerrell Freeman, 4m per year. https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/708737429520433153

Could be an interesting signing. One site said he was rated as the #1 linebacker in the league against the run, and #21 overall against the pass. Not a bad combination.

RonWolfGOAT
03-12-2016, 02:34 PM

‏@PFF 1m1 minute ago

Jerrell Freeman finished the 2015 regular season with the top run-defense grade among LBs. https://goo.gl/FMIbaq

woodbuck27
03-13-2016, 04:02 AM
‏@PFF 1m1 minute ago

Jerrell Freeman finished the 2015 regular season with the top run-defense grade among LBs. https://goo.gl/FMIbaq

Too bad TT doesn't do his homework.

Would someone....anyone ..........please wake him up. :whaa:

Pugger
03-13-2016, 08:49 AM
The first #Packers free agent is off the board. The #Colts have signed QB Scott Tolzen, per @JimIrsay

Brett Hundley could not be denied.

I'm happy for Scott but if he wanted a shot at a starting job why did he go to Indy?

run pMc
03-13-2016, 12:01 PM
Too bad TT doesn't do his homework.

Would someone....anyone ..........please wake him up. :whaa:

Freeman is 29 years old, and probably considered a bit undersized at 6'0" 235. Would you take Schobert in R4 over this guy?

RonWolfGOAT
03-13-2016, 12:26 PM
Lets take a look at some contracts that have been given out.

Tahir Whitehead (Re-signed 2-year, $8M deal with DET)
Vincent Rey (Re-signed 3-year, $11.5M deal with CIN)

Jerrell Freeman (Signed 3-year, $12M deal with CHI)
Mason Foster (Re-signed 2-year, $2.5M deal with WAS)

Brandon Mebane (Signed 3-year, $13.5M deal with SD)
Adrian Clayborn (Re-signed 2-year, $9M deal with ATL)
Kendall Reyes (Signed 1-year, $2.5M deal with WAS)

Antonio Gates (Re-signed 2-year, $11M deal with SD)
Ladarius Green (Signed 4-year, $20M deal with PIT)
Ben Watson (Signed 2-year, $7M deal with BAL)
Marcedes Lewis (Re-signed 3-year, $12M deal with JAX)

Its pretty clear that based on these contracts, anything is too expensive for Ted. Most of these contracts are only about 5m per, and some are as low as 1 or 2 mill per. So money is not a factor. Simply, he's too stubborn and too sure in his abilities to go out and get a player who someone else has drafted. Remember when he said cutting a player is the hardest thing for him to do? This isn't much different. He can't admit to himself that maybe the ILB he drafted aren't that good, or maybe the TE he drafted isn't going to cut it. He's too stubborn, too prideful. It will never change. And Guion, Woodson and Pickett were the exceptions, not the rule. Plus, I'm starting to suspect that Schnieder, not Ted, was the brains behind that 2010 team.

pbmax
03-13-2016, 12:55 PM
Or it could be because of this:

angelo wright @agentman4156
NFL Free Agents taking Team visits after Day 2 are doing the Proverbial "walk of Shame". There is "No Money Left."

The difference between Day 1 signers is not much in terms of talent compared to Day 2 - May Day. But the money is hugely different.

RonWolfGOAT
03-13-2016, 02:23 PM

NFL Free Agents taking Team visits after Day 2 are doing the Proverbial "walk of Shame". There is "No Money Left."

The difference between Day 1 signers is not much in terms of talent compared to Day 2 - May Day. But the money is hugely different.

except we are way past day 2 at this point

pbmax
03-13-2016, 03:24 PM
It took Woodson more than a month resign himself to take the Packers better offer and come to GB and be a CB.

It takes two to tango. Not only does the dumb money need to be spent, but then players must accept they aren't going to get everything on their wish list.

run pMc
03-13-2016, 04:04 PM
Tahir Whitehead (Re-signed 2-year, $8M deal with DET)
Vincent Rey (Re-signed 3-year, $11.5M deal with CIN)

Jerrell Freeman (Signed 3-year, $12M deal with CHI)
Mason Foster (Re-signed 2-year, $2.5M deal with WAS)

Brandon Mebane (Signed 3-year, $13.5M deal with SD)
Adrian Clayborn (Re-signed 2-year, $9M deal with ATL)
Kendall Reyes (Signed 1-year, $2.5M deal with WAS)

Antonio Gates (Re-signed 2-year, $11M deal with SD)
Ladarius Green (Signed 4-year, $20M deal with PIT)
Ben Watson (Signed 2-year, $7M deal with BAL)
Marcedes Lewis (Re-signed 3-year, $12M deal with JAX)

Out of these, the only good signings IMO are Whitehead, Reyes, and Green. With free agency, you're more often overpaying for productivity, especially in the first few days when there's a feeding frenzy. The cap is high enough and teams manage theirs now where they have cap space to sign the players they deem worth keeping.

Joemailman
03-13-2016, 07:57 PM
I'm happy for Scott but if he wanted a shot at a starting job why did he go to Indy?

He's hoping for bad Luck.

Carolina_Packer
03-14-2016, 05:56 AM
He's hoping for bad Luck.

:rs: He'll be here all week, folks! Try the veal!!

Patler
03-14-2016, 09:31 AM
Has Tolzien accepted the fact that his best opportunity is as a long term reserve? Is he on the Doug Pedersen career path, a couple years on practice squads followed by 12 years or so as the backup to a star QB or two, where he serves as a sounding board and gathers knowledge and experience for his later career as a head coach?

pbmax
03-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Raji considering other, non-Packer, unnamed, options according to a source.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1651618-raji-considering-packers-others

pbmax
03-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Has Tolzien accepted the fact that his best opportunity is as a long term reserve? Is he on the Doug Pedersen career path, a couple years on practice squads followed by 12 years or so as the backup to a star QB or two, where he serves as a sounding board and gathers knowledge and experience for his later career as a head coach?

It pays pretty good.

Tolzien's deal: According to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle, Scott Tolzien's deal with the Colts is for two years and $3.5 million — a $500,000 bonus and $1.25 million base salary in 2016 and a $1.75 million base salary in 2017. He earned $1.35 million with Green Bay last season.

Patler
03-14-2016, 10:14 AM
It pays pretty good.

Tolzien's deal: According to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle, Scott Tolzien's deal with the Colts is for two years and $3.5 million — a $500,000 bonus and $1.25 million base salary in 2016 and a $1.75 million base salary in 2017. He earned $1.35 million with Green Bay last season.

Yup, pays well and doesn't come with the typical physical risks of an NFL career. In practice you wear a red jersey, and on game day your biggest risk is getting hit on the sideline while you are looking down at the clipboard.

Cheesehead Craig
03-14-2016, 10:57 AM
Quite possibly the easiest job in pro sports.

Zool
03-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Quite possibly the easiest job in pro sports.

Bullpen catchers got a good gig too.

pbmax
03-14-2016, 11:36 AM
Packers were in contact with Forte.

Rich Campbell ‏@Rich_Campbell 1h1 hour ago
What Matt Forte said today about no Bears offer, Packers interest & reuniting with BM15: http://trib.in/1ppDUIz

pbmax
03-14-2016, 11:39 AM
$1 million of Perry's money is tied up in active for game bonuses.

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 15m15 minutes ago
Nick Perry got a $1.5M signing bonus on 1-year, $5M deal with #Packers. $1M tied to per-game active bonuses. Can earn extra $250K incentives

Occasionally its nice to see you have read a situation right.

yetisnowman
03-14-2016, 03:09 PM

Um.......it's been almost a week and there are no free agents left to be signed. What does this statement have to do with the packers?

pbmax
03-14-2016, 03:48 PM
Um.......it's been almost a week and there are no free agents left to be signed. What does this statement have to do with the packers?

MOST of the free agents are left to be signed. And the prices are much better.

Carolina_Packer
03-14-2016, 04:12 PM

It's a veritable Filene's Basement, or Kohl's, if you prefer.

Patler
03-14-2016, 04:24 PM
Um.......it's been almost a week and there are no free agents left to be signed.

No free agents left to be signed? Wow! I know I wasn't paying a great deal of attention last week, but I sure must have missed an awful lot of signings.

Who did Jared Cook sign with? I know many on here thought GB should go after him.
How about Vernon Davis? Some still look at him as a lost opportunity last year. So he's gone now too?

Dang.

Joemailman
03-14-2016, 04:29 PM
The updated list http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#tab=rankings

pbmax
03-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Proof there are still FAs available:

Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky
The Packers have signed defensive end Ray Drew, a street free agent from Georgia, per a source. Drew spent time... http://es.pn/1QSMl89

Striker
03-14-2016, 06:41 PM

The Packers have signed defensive end Ray Drew, a street free agent from Georgia, per a source. Drew spent time... http://es.pn/1QSMl89

Sorry. Only Day 1 FAs count.

Or so I've been told.

RonWolfGOAT
03-14-2016, 07:21 PM
Sorry. Only Day 1 FAs count.

Or so I've been told.

lol. he's a street FA. he'll probably be cut in training camp.

George Cumby
03-14-2016, 07:54 PM
So who determines which FA signing counts and which don't. Thrill me with your acumen.

yetisnowman
03-14-2016, 10:48 PM

The prices are better because the talent is worse. For the most part it's scrapheap guys, players on the wrong side of 30, injury plagued, bad character guys like Hardy and Aldon smith , etc. I am not seeing much left in the way of impact players at positions of need for the Packers. Sure they may pick up a guy or two. But they will be just guys. Filling up the roster not helping us win games.

yetisnowman
03-14-2016, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=Patler;878565]No free agents left to be signed? Wow! I know I wasn't paying a great deal of attention last week, but I sure must have missed an awful lot of signings.

Who did Jared Cook sign with? I know many on here thought GB should go after him.
How about Vernon Davis? Some still look at him as a lost opportunity last year. So he's gone now too?

I was speaking hyperbolically. Obviously there are people unsigned. Just not many worth a damn. I would love if Ted took a flyer on cook. Won't get my hopes up though.

woodbuck27
03-14-2016, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=Patler;878565]No free agents left to be signed? Wow! I know I wasn't paying a great deal of attention last week, but I sure must have missed an awful lot of signings.

I was speaking hyperbolically. Obviously there are people unsigned. Just not many worth a damn. I would love if Ted took a flyer on cook. Won't get my hopes up though.

FA TE Jared Cook

Cook was a complete non-factor last year, hauling in just 39 catches for 481 yards with zero touchdowns. The 28-year-old never lived up to his five-year, $35.11 million contract. Nearing age 29, Cook has gone 19 consecutive games without scoring a touchdown.

FA TE Vernon Davis:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent Vernon Davis is visiting the Redskins on Thursday.

Redskins GM Scot McCloughan drafted Davis in San Francisco, but this is not a great fit. The Redskins already have a primary pass catcher in Jordan Reed, and Davis does not offer much as a blocker. Davis' market has been quiet thus far

KYPack
03-14-2016, 11:14 PM

Jared Cook is still a street FA.

Patler
03-15-2016, 12:13 AM
Jared Cook is still a street FA.

...and therefore he doesn't "count" as a free agent, or so I have been told.

Bretsky
03-15-2016, 07:56 AM
there are probably well over 100 Kuhn like FA talent out there still; not sure what there is to complain about. We all know TT does not play early. This is the time to celebrate more draft picks due to FA losses. Only the Ravens have more since the rules changed.

BZnDallas
03-15-2016, 08:11 AM
Has anyone discussed if Tolzien is gonna produce a comp pick next year? Cant recall reading if anybody has, so sorry if its been discussed. I know we all pretty much agree on most likely a 5th for Casey Hayward. Im guessing a 7th if anything. Could he net us a tradeable 7th perhaps?

Patler
03-15-2016, 09:00 AM
Has anyone discussed if Tolzien is gonna produce a comp pick next year? Cant recall reading if anybody has, so sorry if its been discussed. I know we all pretty much agree on most likely a 5th for Casey Hayward. Im guessing a 7th if anything. Could he net us a tradeable 7th perhaps?

Doubtful that Tolzien will bring a draft pick. I think this year the cutoff was nearly $3M/year. Players who signed contracts for less than that did not bring draft picks to their former clubs.

BZnDallas
03-15-2016, 09:14 AM
Ahh preciate ya Patler. That makes sense. Heck that could bring Casey's comp pick down then. He only got 3.1 mil per right?

smuggler
03-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Casey was 5 mil per year. Should be a 5th.

Fritz
03-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Doubtful that Tolzien will bring a draft pick. I think this year the cutoff was nearly $3M/year. Players who signed contracts for less than that did not bring draft picks to their former clubs.

I believe the NFL has instituted a new rule that says that if the guy who left your team underperforms, they take away a draft pick from you. Packers will have to give up a seventh if Tolzien can't carry the clipboard as if he's paying attention to the game.

BZnDallas
03-15-2016, 11:33 AM
Casey was 5 mil per year. Should be a 5th.

Brain fart... Thanx for the correction Smuggler

pbmax
03-21-2016, 05:35 PM
James Jones told that the Packers are going with the young guys.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/372980751.html

Frank Bauer, Jones' agent, said he had discussions with the team to see if they would consider bringing his client back but was told that they were moving on.

"They're going to go with the young guys," Bauer said.

Jones bailed Thompson out of a huge hole after Nelson was lost for the season with a torn ACL suffered in the second exhibition game. After the New York Giants released him, Jones accepted a one-year deal, $870,000 minimum wage deal with the Packers.

Rutnstrut
03-21-2016, 10:48 PM
James Jones told that the Packers are going with the young guys.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/372980751.html
This is the stuff that makes me scratch my head. They keep a guy like Peppers that the whole world can see the guy takes plays off and doesn't play hard all the time. Yet a guy like Jones that saved their ass last year and played better than many receivers in the league they have no interest in. The guy played hurt which most Packers players don't seem to be able to do. He played all out, which too many present players don't do. It's also ironic that stubby is on the Janis wagon now. Yet through much of the season last year he refused to put the guy on the field. Montgomery is not going to be the talent some seem to think he is. It's not a for sure thing that Jordy comes back as good as he was. Sure Jones is slow, but with the other receivers back he could be that redzone threat that dickrod will never be.

run pMc
03-22-2016, 06:25 PM
Too early to tell on Montgomery, just as it's too early to say anything about Jordy, beyond his rehab is going well. They have 6 WRs on the roster...Jones would be 7. Compared to the rest of WRs, Jones is older, slower, and has no upside. No need to keep him, unless there was another rash of injuries.
Peppers got pressure and sacks. He's got one more year and GB doesn't have a reliable replacement for him. I'm ok with keeping Peppers and not Jones.

pbmax
03-22-2016, 09:03 PM
This is the stuff that makes me scratch my head. They keep a guy like Peppers that the whole world can see the guy takes plays off and doesn't play hard all the time. Yet a guy like Jones that saved their ass last year and played better than many receivers in the league they have no interest in. The guy played hurt which most Packers players don't seem to be able to do. He played all out, which too many present players don't do. It's also ironic that stubby is on the Janis wagon now. Yet through much of the season last year he refused to put the guy on the field. Montgomery is not going to be the talent some seem to think he is. It's not a for sure thing that Jordy comes back as good as he was. Sure Jones is slow, but with the other receivers back he could be that redzone threat that dickrod will never be.

He is an insurance policy at best and his limitations became apparent after Game 5. They need to develop a new option rather than keep him on the bench. If they had four significantly better right now, keeping him as five like Donald Driver would make more sense.

pbmax
03-22-2016, 09:34 PM
Now a D lineman seems inevitable. But unsure of NT or 3-5 tech.

Jersey Al - GBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 33m33 minutes ago
At @CheeseheadTV: McCarthy: Datone Jones Moving Outside http://bit.ly/1ZqvIUA #Packers

King Friday
03-22-2016, 09:45 PM

The team is already 6 deep at WR, and Thompson is likely to spend another draft pick on a WR as well. Why the hell would you bring Jones back? The only reason we did last year was because of a rash of injuries. Jones played well early in the season, when defenses left him alone. Once they paid a little more attention to him and saw he could only do a couple things adequately, he disappeared.

James Jones is JAG at this point. Get over it already. There are 100 WRs in the league who are capable of putting up "decent" numbers with Rodgers throwing them the rock.

Carolina_Packer
03-23-2016, 05:50 AM

You and I agree that Jones was a good Packer player, but the Packers are deep at WR going into this season. One thing that was made crystal clear last year is that they don't have a lot of speed at WR, and Jones is not getting any younger. If anything, they should either draft a WR like Mike Thomas from Southern Miss. (very interesting prospect) and add to the competition. Plus, your 5th and 6th WR's generally have to play special teams, which James is not going to do at this point in his career. It is a game of replacement as they say. Every player knows this, and every fan ultimately learns this. I agree with TT that it's a young man's game. On the flip-side, Jones is not terrible. He's a good pro player, a good person from extraordinary circumstances who made good with his football career. Unfortunately, the Packers don't need him anymore. It happens.

Fritz
03-23-2016, 10:07 AM
Datone Jones moving outside - this is another first or second rounder who's being asked to change positions about three years into his career, Mike Neal being the other. Does that happen often, or does TT need to re-think how he drafts defensive linemen and OLB's?

pbmax
03-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Datone Jones moving outside - this is another first or second rounder who's being asked to change positions about three years into his career, Mike Neal being the other. Does that happen often, or does TT need to re-think how he drafts defensive linemen and OLB's?

I don't think he can hold up well inside versus the run. He might be a 5 tech, but he is not a 3 or 1.

Fritz
03-23-2016, 10:35 AM
I don't think he can hold up well inside versus the run. He might be a 5 tech, but he is not a 3 or 1.

Well, he was drafted to be a 5-tech, but now he's being moved to Elephant. Just as Neal was moved.

Does Ted need to re-think what he's looking for in his 5-technique?

pbmax
03-23-2016, 10:39 AM
Well, he was drafted to be a 5-tech, but now he's being moved to Elephant. Just as Neal was moved.

Does Ted need to re-think what he's looking for in his 5-technique?

To a degree, but not drastically. Jones isn't as good as Guion or Daniels at the 1 or 3, and they play so little base, that he spent very little time at his base position.

You want someone who could leave the team and end up in his preferred position? Its Jones and the 5 tech (or 7 in a 4-3).

Fritz
03-23-2016, 11:23 AM
To a degree, but not drastically. Jones isn't as good as Guion or Daniels at the 1 or 3, and they play so little base, that he spent very little time at his base position.

You want someone who could leave the team and end up in his preferred position? Its Jones and the 5 tech (or 7 in a 4-3).

But isn't the guy in the 3-4 who's supposed to be able to get to the QB consistently out of the base the 5-tech? Isn't that quick-twitch defensive end the guy who's supposed to be able to get to the QB, creating even more pressure? Or do you just run the 3-4 base with a nose tackle and two 3-tech defensive tackle types?

pbmax
03-23-2016, 11:56 AM
But isn't the guy in the 3-4 who's supposed to be able to get to the QB consistently out of the base the 5-tech? Isn't that quick-twitch defensive end the guy who's supposed to be able to get to the QB, creating even more pressure? Or do you just run the 3-4 base with a nose tackle and two 3-tech defensive tackle types?

Ideally, you want everything you mentioned, a stout, quick and long player at your 5 tech*. But the Packers haven't had a lot of success finding them. CJ Wilson and Howard Green were run stuffers (with one glorious Super Bowl exception) and Pickett and Raji aren't long enough to rush at end. It could have been by design to favor this initially or it simply could have been easier to find that type of player since pass rush biggies are so highly valued.

Eventually, Datone Jones is available and is the platonic ideal of a 3-4 end, a 5-tech end with enough moves to pass rush. Physically, anyway.

But about the same time as the Packers decide to play a ton of nickel to combat the pass, they also decide to alter their base from a static 3-4 to their Eagle Oakie. Which is their name for a front that looks like a 4-3. Now instead of two 4 or 5 tech and a nose guard, you have a 1 tech nose, a 3 tech (tackle) and a 7 tech (end in base, OLB otherwise) and an Elephant (standing OLB in the 9 tech).

Jones proves to not be good enough to play inside at 3 and you have Daniels. And he might not be good enough at 7 to supplant Peppers, Neal or Perry in nickel pass rush. Nor is he good enough to supplant Daniels or Raji in the sturdier against the run 2-4. He only plays in obvious passing downs (dime). So your best physical specimen on the line is playing 10 snaps a game.

So you give up on his run D inside and try him at OLB/Elephant like Neal. And you probably let Neal walk unless he gets zero interesting offers.

*which might be more accurately described as a 4 tech as I believe Rand discovered when he buttonholed the entire defensive staff over drinks last year.

pittstang5
03-23-2016, 04:11 PM
Now a D lineman seems inevitable. But unsure of NT or 3-5 tech.

Jersey Al - GBP ‏@JerseyAlGBP 33m33 minutes ago
At @CheeseheadTV: McCarthy: Datone Jones Moving Outside http://bit.ly/1ZqvIUA #Packers

Yep. Good thing the D-lineman are deep this year. Before I saw this, I figured TT was gonna draft one high and one in the mid rounds. He could approach it like last year and draft a D-lineman in the first and second.

I wonder what D Jones thinks of this, since this is his contract year.

Fritz
03-23-2016, 04:50 PM
Ideally, you want everything you mentioned, a stout, quick and long player at your 5 tech*. But the Packers haven't had a lot of success finding them. CJ Wilson and Howard Green were run stuffers (with one glorious Super Bowl exception) and Pickett and Raji aren't long enough to rush at end. It could have been by design to favor this initially or it simply could have been easier to find that type of player since pass rush biggies are so highly valued.

Eventually, Datone Jones is available and is the platonic ideal of a 3-4 end, a 5-tech end with enough moves to pass rush. Physically, anyway.

But about the same time as the Packers decide to play a ton of nickel to combat the pass, they also decide to alter their base from a static 3-4 to their Eagle Oakie. Which is their name for a front that looks like a 4-3. Now instead of two 4 or 5 tech and a nose guard, you have a 1 tech nose, a 3 tech (tackle) and a 7 tech (end in base, OLB otherwise) and an Elephant (standing OLB in the 9 tech).

Jones proves to not be good enough to play inside at 3 and you have Daniels. And he might not be good enough at 7 to supplant Peppers, Neal or Perry in nickel pass rush. Nor is he good enough to supplant Daniels or Raji in the sturdier against the run 2-4. He only plays in obvious passing downs (dime). So your best physical specimen on the line is playing 10 snaps a game.

So you give up on his run D inside and try him at OLB/Elephant like Neal. And you probably let Neal walk unless he gets zero interesting offers.

*which might be more accurately described as a 4 tech as I believe Rand discovered when he buttonholed the entire defensive staff over drinks last year.

Now I'm feeling all edumacated! Thanks, PB - I think this forces me to dispel the idea that the Packers play any kind of base 3-4; sounds like they play a kind of 2-4 in which two of the four linebackers are actually defensive end/linebacker hybrids, and the two down linemen consist of a nose and a three. And this would be the source of Wist's frustration, as he feels the two hybrids are not stout enough against the run.

Me, I'm more worried about pass coverage with those two hybrids. Expecially since they often cover running backs and tight ends who, with the exception of our own DickRod, are faster than they are.

Datone better practice moving his feet quick. Jake Ryan looked like a statue in coverage last year.

wist43
03-23-2016, 05:45 PM
We're playing subpackages 70-80% of the time as it is, and depending on game plan, some games almost 100% of the time.

If we're going to play a lot of 2-4, I would argue that Matthews has to be inside in that alignment - given our personnel. In games where we need to run a lot more 3-4, you can move Matthews outside, and substitute Ryan in the base.

The key to making any of this work, is a 3 down ILB that can function in the base and excel in the subpackages. In the draft, the guys that guys that fit that description and might be available are Darron Lee and Deion Jones.

Would be happy to land either one of those guys in the 1st two rounds.

pbmax
03-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Jared Cook Non-Update Update:

Cook, who was released by the Rams before free agency began, has had a month to find a team. The fact he hasn't found one means that he is holding out for more money than teams are offering or teams are just no longer interested.

McCarthy made it seem like the Packers still had interest.

"Spent a lot of time with Jared Cook," McCarthy said. "Fine young man. I was impressed with him. We'll see what happens. It's in the business phase of it. That's about where it stands."

Asked if there was definite interest, McCarthy said that was up to Thompson.

"I couldn't even tell you," he said. "I haven't even asked for an update."

Thompson wouldn't comment on Cook when asked about him Monday.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/373118401.html

pbmax
03-27-2016, 10:19 AM
^Same JSO article:

McCarthy did say that he hoped that the Packers could re-sign free agent outside linebacker Mike Neal.

He also indicated that inside linebacker Sam Barrington was doing well in his rehab from foot surgery. Barrington was injured in the season opener against Chicago and was put on injured reserve a short time later.

pbmax
03-28-2016, 05:55 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/28/packers-have-discussed-ronnie-hillman/

Hillman has played his entire four-year career with the Broncos. Last season he had a career-high 863 rushing yards and seven touchdowns, but the Broncos have made clear that C.J. Anderson is their starter going forward, and they haven’t shown a lot of interest in bringing Hillman back.

What the heck is going on over there?

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 8h8 hours ago
With Cook, #Packers hit the over on vet FA signings, so they're likely done. But they've been poking around on RBs, including Ronnie Hillman

Almost sounds like that was before Starks resigned.

run pMc
03-28-2016, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I'd think that was plan B if Starks left for NE...or if the reports on Lacy weren't good.
Why would you bring Hillman in to be a #3? No point in spending that kind of money for a guy who, while talented, probably wouldn't see the field much unless it was on ST. Better off IMO going the cheapo route (draft or UDFA) and saving the cap space for the OL.

Hillman's got speed to burn and would be great depth, but unless he's willing to take the vet minimum (which I doubt) he won't be a Packer.

Smidgeon
03-29-2016, 11:38 AM
If they got Hillman, Starks wouldn't make it out of camp.

woodbuck27
03-29-2016, 01:54 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000648671/article/can-packers-offense-return-to-dominance

Can Packers' offense return to dominance?

By Chris Wesseling ... Around the NFL Writer

Published: March 29, 2016 at 01:08 p.m. Updated: March 29, 2016 at 01:49 p.m.

pbmax
03-29-2016, 10:52 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h1 hour ago
McCarthy says Montgomery won't be ready 'til camp. Jordy coming off ACL. Adams struggled. Who knows what may happen?

Joemailman
03-29-2016, 11:16 PM
McCarthy says Montgomery won't be ready 'til camp. Jordy coming off ACL. Adams struggled. Who knows what may happen?

Hard to believe there won't be some improvement at WR. They're better at TE. A fit Lacy should be better. They may not match 2011 or 2014, but they'll be pretty good.

Patler
03-30-2016, 06:33 AM
McCarthy says Montgomery won't be ready 'til camp.

That was one heck of an ankle sprain. Begs the question of if he will be "right" by the start of the season,.... or ever again?

hoosier
03-30-2016, 08:08 AM
He had surgery after the season, and recovery time for that is probably many months. Not surprising that his projected return would be Augustish.

Guiness
03-30-2016, 08:20 AM
That was one heck of an ankle sprain. Begs the question of if he will be "right" by the start of the season,.... or ever again?

That has to be the fear. The way things progressed last season it did not look good.

woodbuck27
03-30-2016, 10:17 AM
We're playing subpackages 70-80% of the time as it is, and depending on game plan, some games almost 100% of the time.

If we're going to play a lot of 2-4, I would argue that Matthews has to be inside in that alignment - given our personnel. In games where we need to run a lot more 3-4, you can move Matthews outside, and substitute Ryan in the base.

The key to making any of this work, is a 3 down ILB that can function in the base and excel in the subpackages. In the draft, the guys that guys that fit that description and might be available are Darron Lee and Deion Jones.

Would be happy to land either one of those guys in the 1st two rounds.

I'm studying a 5 Round Mock from NFL.Com.

LB Darron Lee goes to Atlanta at NO. 17

At NO. 33 Tennessee Titans are awarded OLB Deion Jones.

That Mock gives Green Bay ILB Kentrell Brothers (Missouri) at NO. 57 in Round 2.

Patler
03-30-2016, 12:20 PM
He had surgery after the season, and recovery time for that is probably many months. Not surprising that his projected return would be Augustish.

Ya, I know he had the surgery, but lots of guys have cleanup surgeries after the season, and that is what this was reported to be. He had the surgery in late December, right after he went on IR, and after 2 months of trying to rehab the injury, which occurred week 6, reported as an ankle sprain. After all is said and done, they are looking at 10 months for his recovery.

That was one heck of a sprained ankle, but then again, "they" often say it is easier to recover from a break than a sprain.

pbmax
03-30-2016, 04:08 PM
With Cook contract officially filed, the #Packers are $10,957,816 under the 2016 salary cap

pbmax
03-30-2016, 04:10 PM
Ya, I know he had the surgery, but lots of guys have cleanup surgeries after the season, and that is what this was reported to be. He had the surgery in late December, right after he went on IR, and after 2 months of trying to rehab the injury, which occurred week 6, reported as an ankle sprain. After all is said and done, they are looking at 10 months for his recovery.

That was one heck of a sprained ankle, but then again, "they" often say it is easier to recover from a break than a sprain.

Almost sounds like it has to be structural. Either fully torn, displaced and not just bone chips. A recovery of that long seems to indicate they had to repair significant tissue.

If I remember correctly, tendons take longer to heal.

Joemailman
03-30-2016, 04:16 PM
Almost sounds like it has to be structural. Either fully torn, displaced and not just bone chips. A recovery of that long seems to indicate they had to repair significant tissue.

If I remember correctly, tendons take longer to heal.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/after-ankle-surgery-receiver-montgomery-looks-forward-to-next-season-b99650312z1-365082641.html

Montgomery underwent surgery two weeks ago to repair ligament and cartilage damage in his left ankle, the result of an injury suffered against San Diego in Week 6. The surgery came after seven weeks of Montgomery rehabbing the ankle to the point where he thought he was over the hump only to suffer a setback.

There was hope that the ankle might stabilize on its own, but ultimately it required surgery to tighten up the ligament and take care of some of the collateral damage that occurred.

"They fixed some cartilage, fixed some ligaments, some other stuff that needed attention," Montgomery said Tuesday.

pbmax
03-30-2016, 04:41 PM
Ligaments and cartilage normally don't take an 8 month rehab period, unless its an ACL which bears a lot of torque.

Joemailman
03-30-2016, 07:19 PM
Ligaments and cartilage normally don't take an 8 month rehab period, unless its an ACL which bears a lot of torque.

It would be 6-7 months. TC will start early because Packers play in HOF game. Plus, it's been common for the Packers to hold out guys who have had offseason surgeries until training camp.

pbmax
03-31-2016, 01:28 PM
Hello Packer fans?! Its me, Andy Mulumba's agent. You may not have heard much about us/him this offseason but please don't mistake that lack of interest in my client, your former player! Plenty of people have answered the phone when I called! Here is a list of team's I dialed who took my call:

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 56m56 minutes ago
New from JS: Packers free agent OLB Andy Mulumba drawing interest from New England, Kansas City http://ift.tt/1RNF5aU #Packers

BZnDallas
03-31-2016, 09:47 PM
Just had a thought and not sure if anybody else has mentioned this before, but having to play in the HoF game this year might be a blessing in disguise. With Hundley as the backup, hes going to get a lot of playing time this preseason. Some I would guess against premium talent. Thats going to show other teams what hes got. TT could reap the benefits sooner than later if Hundley preforms. Wonder which late round QB they will draft to be no. 3.

woodbuck27
03-31-2016, 09:54 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/after-ankle-surgery-receiver-montgomery-looks-forward-to-next-season-b99650312z1-365082641.html

Rough.

smuggler
04-02-2016, 01:32 AM
Mulumba signed a one-year deal with the Chiefs. Dorsey really likes ex-Packer OLBs... Zombo. Dezman Moses. Now Mulumba. Maybe Jayrone will be headed there next offseason.

pbmax
04-04-2016, 08:48 AM
One less thing to worry about: Vikings Offense

Ben Gosling @GoesslingESPN
Mike Zimmer wants to merge some of Pat Shurmur and Tony Sparano's ideas into the #Vikings' current offense: http://es.pn/1RXfRwX

woodbuck27
04-04-2016, 10:37 AM
One less thing to worry about: Vikings Offense

Ben Gosling @GoesslingESPN
Mike Zimmer wants to merge some of Pat Shurmur and Tony Sparano's ideas into the #Vikings' current offense: http://es.pn/1RXfRwX

OK .... :-)

wist43
04-04-2016, 11:31 AM
I'm studying a 5 Round Mock from NFL.Com.

LB Darron Lee goes to Atlanta at NO. 17

At NO. 33 Tennessee Titans are awarded OLB Deion Jones.

That Mock gives Green Bay ILB Kentrell Brothers (Missouri) at NO. 57 in Round 2.

I expect Lee will likely be gone, but Jones going 33?? If people are looking at him that high, then he's really shot up draft boards.

I think Brothers is too limited... kind of average at everything. You can find those guys late in the draft.

George Cumby
04-04-2016, 12:48 PM
Just curious, Wist, you watch a metric shit ton of college football? You've got educated enough opinions that indicate you do.

Or do you just make shit up like the rest of us? :-P

pbmax
04-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Keys to success:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfOJC-jXIAAlinj.jpg:large

mraynrand
04-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Keys to success:...

organization and GM unimportant

pbmax
04-04-2016, 03:47 PM
organization and GM unimportant

Not at all. They have to find the QB.

Smidgeon
04-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Luck is still potential. This last year threw that claim of consistently contending into all doubt. Until he proves it (and to a lesser extent Wilson too now that he got paid and the team will have cheaper pieces filling out the ranks), that inclusion almost invalidates the premise (if that assumption was incorrect, what else was too).

wist43
04-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Just curious, Wist, you watch a metric shit ton of college football? You've got educated enough opinions that indicate you do.

Or do you just make shit up like the rest of us? :-P

There are enough guys out there that post player highlight/evaluation videos that it doesn't take long to grease thru them.

Voch Lombardi posts a lot of tape that is already broken down... our own Quality Control if you will.

As for looking at specific players - I count on guys in here and other sources to get me to look at someone who might be buried in the prospect rankings. Other things I look at, are the measurables - if an OT has 31 inch arms, what's the point of looking at his film?? If a CB can only run 4.7, again, no point in looking at his film.

George Cumby
04-05-2016, 08:05 PM
There are enough guys out there that post player highlight/evaluation videos that it doesn't take long to grease thru them.

Voch Lombardi posts a lot of tape that is already broken down... our own Quality Control if you will.

As for looking at specific players - I count on guys in here and other sources to get me to look at someone who might be buried in the prospect rankings. Other things I look at, are the measurables - if an OT has 31 inch arms, what's the point of looking at his film?? If a CB can only run 4.7, again, no point in looking at his film.

Copy that.

My issue with highlight reels is they are highlight reels. I like the vids that show an entire game so I can see their play in a broader context.

wist43
04-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Copy that.

My issue with highlight reels is they are highlight reels. I like the vids that show an entire game so I can see their play in a broader context.

When I'm looking at a prospect, I'll look at his 40 time and ht/wt just to give some context to what I'm seeing on film. I'll usually watch the "highlights" first, just to see what the hype is about - then I'll look at individual games that isolate the player - that is really the only way to get a good read on the guy.

There's one guy posts highlights on youtube all the time - Harris Highlights. I only watch his highlights if his are the only ones I can find. For the most part what he posts is useless, i.e. up close, fast action shots - can't see anything about what led to the sack, or TD, or INT, or whatever.

In order to look at a guy you need to have a wide angle shot so you can see most of the field, and you can see everything the guy does on a given play.

George Cumby
04-05-2016, 09:24 PM
Right. Thirty seconds in, if it's a bunch of quick edits and obnoxious noise that kids these days call "music", I click right out of there. You can't tell anything from that drivel.

Patler
04-25-2016, 08:45 PM

...and now he is gone....

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2016/04/25/packers-release-recently-signed-ray-drew/83514054/

Guiness
04-26-2016, 09:21 AM
Not at all. They have to find the QB.

There are a couple of teams on the 'no playoffs in 5 years' list that seem to think they have their QB, Miami and Chicago.

Guiness
04-26-2016, 09:26 AM
Right. Thirty seconds in, if it's a bunch of quick edits and obnoxious noise that kids these days call "music", I click right out of there. You can't tell anything from that drivel.

If it's too loud, your too old, right?

George Cumby
04-26-2016, 12:06 PM
'Zackly!

pbmax
05-06-2016, 07:29 AM
Trevor Davis speedy, first to sign contract. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/trevor-davis-first-of-packers-draft-picks-to-agree-to-contract-b99720124z1-378359301.html

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 10h10 hours ago
After signing rookies, GB will have $5.3M cap space. With 3/5 of OL, 2013 draft class entering FA, isn't it obvious why TT stays out of FA?

Maybe not says Spoon as JSO (link above):

Although the Packers' rookie pool is more than $5 million, it doesn't mean that their team salary cap will be cut by that much. The Packers were $10.65 million under the cap heading into the draft, and their picks will only cost them about $1.7 million of that total.

Only the top 51 salary cap figures for 2016 count during the off-season, so even though seven draft pick salaries will be added to the payroll, only five of them are expected to qualify as the top 51 and they will replace players with cap numbers of $525,000.

Thus, the Packers' team cap will only drop to about $9 million when all the picks are signed.

Patler
05-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Trevor Davis speedy, first to sign contract. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/trevor-davis-first-of-packers-draft-picks-to-agree-to-contract-b99720124z1-378359301.html

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 10h10 hours ago
After signing rookies, GB will have $5.3M cap space. With 3/5 of OL, 2013 draft class entering FA, isn't it obvious why TT stays out of FA?

Maybe not says Spoon as JSO (link above):

Yes and no, because until they actually sign all of the draftees, they have to include their rookie pool amount in their salary cap calculation. That's one of the reasons teams that are close to their salary cap limit work hard to get the rookies signed quickly, it frees up salary cap space for them.

MadScientist
05-06-2016, 11:10 AM
If it's too loud, your too old, right?

Crap is too loud at any volume other than mute (my preferred setting for highlight videos).

Good music (at least good rock) is too loud when it causes nose bleeds and structural damage to buildings.

pbmax
05-10-2016, 09:11 AM
JS Comments ‏@JSComments 12m12 minutes ago
Never use social media. I don't tweet, snap, face, or anything. Who said we NEED this stuff? A handshake or a hug means more.

We need a "kiss you fingers perfection" emoticon.

pbmax
05-16-2016, 02:19 PM
In the division, the Packers’ over/under is at 10 ½ wins with the defending champion Vikings at 9 and the Lions at 7.

Bears at 7.5.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-vegas-sets-bears-wins-20160516-story.html

pbmax
05-26-2016, 09:51 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 33s33 seconds ago
(1/2) #Packers QB @AaronRodgers12 confirms on @OfficialAJHawk's podcast that he, Favre and Starr took a picture together on Thanksgiving.

Coming up empty on numerical puns.

MadScientist
06-02-2016, 08:33 AM
Is it just me, or is there a lot more churn at the bottom of the 90 man roster this year. The latest:
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/381568731.html
Robinson being released with 'Non-football illness' is a new one. However he was out on the 24th, and can't tell if he practiced since. If he had an illness for a week, with a scouting report of issues with his work ethic, I can see why they dumped him, regardless of 4.3 speed.

Zool
06-02-2016, 09:10 AM
WTF is a non-football illness? Better yet, WTF is a football illness?

MadScientist
06-02-2016, 09:40 AM
WTF is a non-football illness? Better yet, WTF is a football illness?

If you are in Tampa, MRSA infections could be considered a football illness.

gbgary
06-02-2016, 10:11 AM
morning talking heads on nfl network are predicting min as north champ again and the Packers record at 9-7.

Patler
06-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Is it just me, or is there a lot more churn at the bottom of the 90 man roster this year.

It seemed that way to me, too; so I went back and looked at their "transactions" lists the last few years. From April to the start of training camp, they ranged from 4 to 7 releases of bottom of the roster type players. They seem to be at 7 already this year.

Fritz
06-02-2016, 11:47 AM
morning talking heads on nfl network are predicting min as north champ again and the Packers record at 9-7.

Just a general offseason wondering...

we've heard all about Eddie Lacy's off-again, on-again romance with weight loss, and we've read about Josh Sitton dumping some of his long-time weight, but we've heard nor read nary a thing about Richard Rodgers, who, MM said, needed to shed a few pounds.

Anybody seen pictures or know if he has or hasn't?

MadScientist
06-02-2016, 01:44 PM

Barring major personnel changes (huge FA splash / loss, QB retiring, etc) talking heads are very good a predicting things to look a whole hell of a lot like the previous year.