PDA

View Full Version : Here's one to Ponder...

mmmdk
09-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Snit bit from Giants.com

One of the interesting calls was the decision to keep Jennings over Ponder. A sixth-round draft choice in 2003, Ponder led the NFL in 2004 with a 26.9-yard kickoff return average, the highest by a Giant in 30 years. Ponder brought back a kickoff 91 yards for a touchdown against Pittsburgh, then returned one 95 yards for a score in last season’s opener versus Arizona. In three years, Ponder caught eight passes, none last year.

Jennings was a track star who didn’t play football at Florida State. He has received a lot of publicity for his flashy car (1995 Caprice Classic with 26-inch rims and multiple speakers), gold teeth and witty quotes. But Jennings has steadily improved as a player, largely because he was on the Giants’ practice squad for part of the 2004 season and all of 2005. In the Giants’ 4-0 preseason, Jennings had a team-high seven receptions for 70 yards and returned a punt 57 yards for a touchdown at Baltimore.

“It was a tough call, without a doubt,” Coughlin said of the Jennings/Ponder debate. “But when you look at what’s been done, you have to be fair about analyzing it. Both players can play in the league. Both have certain elements that they bring to the overall special teams and offense, and that made for a most difficult decision.”

mmmdk
09-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Cutting Willie Ponder in NY was touch and go. NY beat writers are scratching their heads; Ponder was a fan favorite and a media mascot.

Getting Ponder to Green Bay would be a great story as it could work out. Ponder is a NFL kickoff returner - WE DON'T HAVE ONE! Woodson & Jennings can do the punt return yet Ponder could be a candidate too.

MJZiggy
09-03-2006, 10:35 AM
There's 4 teams ahead of us to get him. I can only hope the Jets don't take him just to piss off the Giant fans. :mrgreen:

I know that wouldn't happen, but still.

Packnut
09-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Cutting Willie Ponder in NY was touch and go. NY beat writers are scratching their heads; Ponder was a fan favorite and a media mascot.

Getting Ponder to Green Bay would be a great story as it could work out. Ponder is a NFL kickoff returner - WE DON'T HAVE ONE! Woodson & Jennings can do the punt return yet Ponder could be a candidate too.

This is the 1st guy I'd go after if I was TT. We hav'nt had a good KR guy for quite a while. Sadly though TT views special teams with the same mentality that he does the OL.

MJZiggy
09-03-2006, 10:38 AM
But if he can catch a punt, he can catch a pass right? Ruvell said so just the other day. If you can catch a punt, you can catch anything.

Well, a Favre laser might be the exception.

mmmdk
09-03-2006, 10:49 AM

This is the 1st guy I'd go after if I was TT. We hav'nt had a good KR guy for quite a while. Sadly though TT views special teams with the same mentality that he does the OL.

I agree, go figure, but the Jets and Saints might want the kid too. Too? Hmm, I sure hope TT puts a claim on Ponder - I wonder :mrgreen:

Bretsky
09-03-2006, 12:09 PM

I agree, go figure, but the Jets and Saints might want the kid too. Too? Hmm, I sure hope TT puts a claim on Ponder - I wonder :mrgreen:

TWO WR CUTS that baffled me and I think could immediately help GB was Willie Ponder and Tyrone Calico. Now Calico has more talent at WR (and is an extreme burner) than Ponder but Ponder has that special teams thing going for him and we definitely need help there.

B

BananaMan
09-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Calico has been underachieving since day 1 for the Titans. Think Robert Ferguson, only with more talent and less production. So, I wasn't surprised when they let him go.

I wouldn't mind picking either of them up. Heck, let's pick up both of them.

Tarlam!
09-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Look. Ferguson can't play WR.

He should return punts. End of discussion. It's about time he earned his keep somewhere on the team!

Fritz
09-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Y'know, Tarlam, I like your thinking. Make him the #1 kick and punt returner. He did have some good kick returns. By now he should be able to handle being the third receiver and being the primary punt and kick returner.

Bretsky
09-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Y'know, Tarlam, I like your thinking. Make him the #1 kick and punt returner. He did have some good kick returns. By now he should be able to handle being the third receiver and being the primary punt and kick returner.

I don't think he had any success at the punt returner. He wasn't terrible or anything so I guess we could do worse. Pinch me if I'm dreaming, but is the Fraud actually still our #3 ? If he is the coaching staff may keep him off specials since he always gets injured.

We could just pick up Ponder and Calico and cut Ferguson ?

Cheers,
B

hurleyfan
09-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Willie Ponder would be a great pick up.. He was the Giants return team! Got to see lots of Giant games here, and he can play a little WR.. Would be a better # 4 than Chatman was!

Fritz
09-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Bretsky -

When you are having nightmares, do you see #89 over and over? Dang, you don't like that dude.

Bretsky
09-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Bretsky -

When you are having nightmares, do you see #89 over and over? Dang, you don't like that dude.

I actually have Nightmares about Favre winning multiple Super Bowls with Chris Chambers catching the winning Touchdowns...............then I wake up...wait wait.....did we actually draft the Fraud ? :wink:

Brando19
09-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports the Seattle Seahawks are expected to give free agent WR/KR Willie Ponder (Giants) a tryout early this week.

I guess we're a little too late....AS USUAL!!!!!!!

justanotherpackfan
09-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports the Seattle Seahawks are expected to give free agent WR/KR Willie Ponder (Giants) a tryout early this week.

I guess we're a little too late....AS USUAL!!!!!!!
T.T never signs these guys. It's obvious to everybody that we should get him and as usual he's satisfied with Herron back there with his blazing 4.8 speed.

Brando19
09-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Ted Thompson has to be the "most hated by the fans" GM in NFL History. Anything the fans want, he makes sure to do the opposite. I'm suprised he hasn't tried to sign some High School talent to help us out.

justanotherpackfan
09-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Ted Thompson has to be the "most hated by the fans" GM in NFL History. Anything the fans want, he makes sure to do the opposite. I'm suprised he hasn't tried to sign some High School talent to help us out.
SPEED! SPEED! SPEED! We need speed.

Brando19
09-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Maybe all us fans need to get together and start crying for a slow, inexperienced WR who hasn't made a big play since his first college game. Then TT would do the opposite and make a trade for Reggie Wayne.

digitaldean
09-03-2006, 09:52 PM

Simmer down, will ya!

You have to remember the yard stick by which all sooooooper genius GM's are measured has to be Matt Millen of the Lions.

I don't even think TT had a march started against him. (not yet anyway, :wink: )

Zool
09-04-2006, 01:18 AM

You may have heard of a guy in Detroit named Millen? TT is a god next to that schmuck.

Terry
09-04-2006, 07:36 AM
I actually have Nightmares about Favre winning multiple Super Bowls with Chris Chambers catching the winning Touchdowns...............then I wake up...wait wait.....did we actually draft the Fraud ? :wink:

No, Atlanta drafted him. Oh... wait... sorry, you meant the other guy!