How does punting help your team there?

No idea what that was about.

pbmax
02-07-2016, 09:17 PM
How does punting help your team there?

That's Riverboat Ron for you.

ThunderDan
02-07-2016, 09:20 PM
That was a cool play. Too little too late.

pbmax
02-07-2016, 09:22 PM
Matt Lepay ‏@MattLepay 5m5 minutes ago
Good for Owen Daniels. The next Badger to win a Super Bowl. The weather geek is about to be a champ. Sweet.

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 9m9 minutes ago
This Panthers offensive line is going to grade out awfully. Pass blocking obviously bad, but got manhandled in run blocking too

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 5m5 minutes ago
Also, many on here clamoring for 7-man pass pro and chips, but where were the screens from Carolina? No credible screen threat to slow rush?

ThunderDan
02-07-2016, 09:22 PM
17 points set up by D and special teams. Horrible game for both Os.

Rastak
02-07-2016, 09:23 PM
Boy Manning was bad.......that defense is awesome though.

yetisnowman
Phil, "Ron thinks their chances of getting the ball back are better than getting 4th and 24".....yeah no shit phil the problem is they will be down 14 with no timeouts and 45 seconds left. Devils in the details.

Rutnstrut
Do you pay attention to anything besides the voices in your head? Most here have been saying all game how good the Denver defense is.

Actually I was talking to the people that tried to blame this whole loss on Cam. Yet when the Packers lost to the same team it wasn't that the Packers played shitty, which the whole team did. It was how great Denver was. Get your shit straight.

pbmax
Was that F*cking Papa John just there kissing Manning's cheek?

pbmax
02-07-2016, 09:25 PM
Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell 4m4 minutes ago
The irony is that the same people trashing Newton are almost surely the ones who buried Peyton for his playoff performance in years past

Rastak
02-07-2016, 09:26 PM
Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell 4m4 minutes ago
The irony is that the same people trashing Newton are almost surely the ones who buried Peyton for his playoff performance in years past

Newton wasn't horrible, he was overmatched by a Denver D the Vikings damn near beat......*sigh*.....

ThunderDan
02-07-2016, 09:26 PM
509 yards of total offense. Denver didn't even crack 200 yards. What a horrible game.

Rastak
02-07-2016, 09:28 PM
509 yards of total offense. Denver didn't even crack 200 yards. What a horrible game.

I like defense.

pbmax
Papa has been celebrating.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaqW84vUMAAux9R.jpg:large

Rastak
PB, lol, a Pizza owner is a hanger on?

ThunderDan
02-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Newton total over 300 yards of total O.

Joemailman
02-07-2016, 09:30 PM
Super Bowl? This was the Stupor Bowl.

Rastak
02-07-2016, 09:30 PM
Newton total over 300 yards of total O.

The three turnovers overwrote that big time.

pbmax
02-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Well, Bob might think FAs are the lesson these two teams are teaching the Packers.

But the actual answer is that pass rush makes up for a multitude of sins.

pbmax
02-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Super Bowl? This was the Stupor Bowl.

I agree. I love the rule changes in favor of offense.

pbmax
02-07-2016, 09:32 PM
The three turnovers overwrote that big time.

Yep. They were huge. Plus not a lot of breaks in the game, only one fumble they caused ended up in their possession.

pbmax
02-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Aaron Schatz
‏@FO_ASchatz
Interestingly, another surprisingly poor QB performance by a SB-winning QB was Ben Roethlisberger the first time.

Rastak
02-07-2016, 09:34 PM
Yep. They were huge. Plus not a lot of breaks in the game, only one fumble they caused ended up in their possession.

Yup. They had a little luck and alot of defense.

Rastak
02-07-2016, 09:35 PM
Swann and Stallworth......those were the days.

pbmax
02-07-2016, 09:36 PM
This is why drawing conclusions about how to win from one game in any year is a terrible idea:

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball
Worst Manning season of his lengthy career results in a SB; life is weird

Football Perspective ‏@fbgchase Football
Denver wins a Super Bowl with arguably the worst team of the 4-year Manning era.

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar
This also speaks to great teams, given enough chances, should win a SB. Elway built a contender & enough went its way this year. #Champs

As for the last point, they mortgaged everything to get one. Will be an interesting offseason.

ThunderDan
02-07-2016, 09:37 PM
Denver has 11 first downs.

Guiness
02-07-2016, 09:37 PM
who is the blond chick with the really bad big blond wig??

edit: Pat Bowlen's wife. Now we know what's wrong with him, some of her Botox bacteria jumped over to him

Why is Kubiak being booed?

ThunderDan
02-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Denver converted 1. 3rd down all game.

Rastak
02-07-2016, 09:40 PM
Good choice on MVP....helluva player.

ThunderDan
02-07-2016, 09:40 PM
4 of 29 on 3rd down for both teams.

Rutnstrut
02-07-2016, 09:41 PM

edit: Pat Bowlen's wife. Now we know what's wrong with him, some of her Botox bacteria jumped over to him

Not booed, KUUUUUUB, kind of like KUUUUUUHN.

pbmax
02-07-2016, 09:43 PM
Football Perspective ‏@fbgchase 1m1 minute ago
The Broncos gained 194 yards. That's the fewest by any winning team in Super Bowl history, breaking the '00 Ravens mark by 50 yards.

mraynrand
02-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Newton wasn't horrible, he was overmatched by a Denver D the Vikings damn near beat......*sigh*.....

So did the Browns.

pbmax
02-07-2016, 09:44 PM

KOOOOOBS!!

woodbuck27
02-07-2016, 09:45 PM
I'm happy for Peyton Manning that the Denver BRONCOS won Super Bowl 50.

pbmax
02-07-2016, 09:48 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 7m7 minutes ago
"Peyton, thank you for beating Tom Brady so I didn't have to hand this to him."

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 7m7 minutes ago
Von Miller had to be the MVP. He was

Rastak
02-07-2016, 09:49 PM
So did the Browns.

The 11-5 playoff Browns, I forgot about that!

esoxx
02-07-2016, 09:53 PM
Well, dust off a mantle in Canton for Kubiak. After all, he won a SB as a coach matching Tony Dungy.

SMFH

pbmax
02-07-2016, 09:54 PM
Football Perspective ‏@fbgchase
Best QB (career) to ever win a Super Bowl: Peyton Manning
Worst QB (season) to ever win a Super Bowl: Peyton Manning

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 5m5 minutes ago
I love it. Both of his SB wins are a perfect way to show how silly it is to rank QBs by rings.

wist43
02-07-2016, 09:56 PM
The blueprint to beat Newton hasn't changed - keep him in the pocket, and make him make plays from there. Denver did an awesome job of getting pressure, while not letting him out of the pocket. The DE's took great angles and controlled the OT's. To me, that was the most important factor in the game.

Great win for Denver... didn't want to see Cam 'anointed'!!

mraynrand
02-07-2016, 09:58 PM
The 11-5 playoff Browns, I forgot about that!

It ought to be less exciting to you to find out that a lousy team can hang with them as well.

esoxx
02-07-2016, 09:58 PM
Football Perspective ‏@fbgchase
Best QB (career) to ever win a Super Bowl: Peyton Manning
Worst QB (season) to ever win a Super Bowl: Peyton Manning

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 5m5 minutes ago
I love it. Both of his SB wins are a perfect way to show how silly it is to rank QBs by rings.

No kidding.

See Bradshaw, Terry

Personally I'd take Marino over Bradshaw but that's just me.

mraynrand
02-07-2016, 09:59 PM

Indeed. To do so would be Nutz

http://a2.files.biography.com/image/upload/c_fill,cs_srgb,dpr_1.0,g_face,h_300,q_80,w_300/MTE5NTU2MzE2MDA5MzY3MDUx.jpg

mraynrand
02-07-2016, 09:59 PM
No kidding.

See Bradshaw, Terry

beat me to it by a few seconds :)

esoxx
02-07-2016, 10:00 PM
It ought to be less exciting to you to find out that a lousy team can hang with them as well.

The Browns should have beat the broncos this season, went toe to toe with them.

mraynrand
02-07-2016, 10:03 PM
The Browns should have beat the broncos this season, went toe to toe with them.

therefore they are a great team, but not as great as an 11-5 playoff team.

Rastak
02-07-2016, 10:18 PM

Nah, I'm more concerned about how the NFC contemporaries fared.....not some fluke AFC stuff. So how did the other NFC North teams do, I forget....:glug:

That's my last shot, been sick all weekend....just glad that dummy got knocked down a peg.

Rastak
02-07-2016, 10:20 PM
No kidding.

See Bradshaw, Terry

Agree with you guys. It's a team game, never understood the complete facination with SB wins for QBs. It's obviously a factor but some make it out to be the only one.

mraynrand
02-07-2016, 10:20 PM
....just glad that dummy got knocked down a peg.

which one? :)

ThunderDan
02-07-2016, 10:22 PM
Nah, I'm more concerned about how the NFC contemporaries fared.....not some fluke AFC stuff. So how did the other NFC North teams do, I forget....:glug:

That's my last shot, been sick all weekend....just glad that dummy got knocked down a peg.

Bears came the closest losing 17-15.

Rastak
02-07-2016, 10:23 PM
which one? :)

Mike Tolbert, isn't it obvious?

Rastak
02-07-2016, 10:23 PM
Bears came the closest losing 17-15.

Bear down you fucking Bears!

Joemailman
02-07-2016, 10:29 PM
I'm happy for Peyton Manning that the Denver BRONCOS won Super Bowl 50.

I'm happy I won't have to watch him throw flutter balls anymore.

Rastak
02-07-2016, 10:30 PM

Man, did he go down the shitter this year?

mraynrand
02-07-2016, 10:31 PM
Bear down you fucking Bears!

That's the spirit!

mraynrand
02-07-2016, 10:41 PM
I know this isn't a deep thought or anything, but I've concluded that winning the Super Bowl is a hell of a lot harder than the average joe thinks it is.

pbmax
02-07-2016, 10:42 PM
Albert Breer @AlbertBreer
Broncos LB Brandon Marshall said he expected Carolina to add wrinkles. They didn't. "We were like, 'Yo, they aren't switching anything up.'"

Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 7m7 minutes ago
Was a really odd gameplan - not very multiple, got away from some base stuff, no counters/screens/changeups

Mike Shula everyone! "What, me worry about the Broncos pass rush?"

Rastak
02-07-2016, 10:44 PM
I know this isn't a deep thought or anything, but I've concluded that winning the Super Bowl is a hell of a lot harder than the average joe thinks it is.

I came to that very conclusion myself after watching about 46 of them.

mraynrand
02-07-2016, 10:44 PM
Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 7m7 minutes ago
Was a really odd gameplan - not very multiple, got away from some base stuff, no counters/screens/changeups

That's what I was thinking, especially the lack of screens. What did they expect to see?

mraynrand
02-07-2016, 10:45 PM
Ginn Jr. avoiding contact reminded me of the fine year Terry Glenn spent in Green Bay.

Rastak
02-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Ginn Jr. avoiding contact reminded me of the fine year Terry Glenn spent in Green Bay.

That dude was running faster towards the sidelines than down the field.

Smidgeon
02-08-2016, 08:39 AM
I liked it. I liked the defensive game, the low scores. It made every offensive yard worth it.

pbmax
02-08-2016, 08:39 AM
It was a good day for the film watchers and analytics guys. But then Berman also picked this result, so who know??

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 7h7 hours ago
Wow, by multiple metrics, tonight was the worst of Manning's 27 playoff games. 5 sacks definitely hurt.

I also can say it's been fun to watch the two worst OL's to win a Super Bowl (2008 Steelers, 2015 Broncos). Both had the #1 D.

I Muted a lot of people last night, and a couple tonight, but they mostly muted themselves. Very quiet evening.

Scott Kacsmar ‏@FO_ScottKacsmar 6h6 hours ago
He (Oher) had two tonight, but some random dude on Twitter is going to tell me I don't do my homework.

HAD PREVIOUSLY SAID OHER TENDS TO GET CALLED FOR FALSE STARTS MUCH MORE THAN NORMAL. PANTHERS FANS SAID IT WOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM AT NEUTRAL SITE.

pbmax
02-08-2016, 08:41 AM
I liked it. I liked the defensive game, the low scores. It made every offensive yard worth it.

I agree on Defense in general, but I hate to see offenses that can do nothing, not even adjust, to make something work. Just bashing your head against a brick wall may be great D but its not as entertaining as defeating that brick wall a couple of times.

I would settle for great D and average O.

Bossman641
02-08-2016, 09:02 AM

Nah, just sign a few impact FA's and voila...Super Bowl. Great GM's win the SB every year.

Bossman641
02-08-2016, 09:04 AM
I agree on Defense in general, but I hate to see offenses that can do nothing, not even adjust, to make something work. Just bashing your head against a brick wall may be great D but its not as entertaining as defeating that brick wall a couple of times.

Agreed. Both offenses felt very sloppy to me. Would have been nice to see a few sustained drives as well.

wist43
02-08-2016, 11:22 PM

What you saw was a great game. Best game I've watched in a long time. The offenses looked completely vexed b/c the defense was so spectacularly good for both teams.

As I said in another thread, to me, the most important aspect of the game was Denver's rush ends controlling both OT's; taking 1/2 the man rushes that controlled the OT and leveraged Cam into the pocket by making sure they didn't take their rushes too far upfield. Denver did this consistently; and, they consistently got pressure with four - when they sent four. On blitz's? Wade Philips was brilliant; the coverage was great... beautiful thing to watch.

And Carolina was just as good. Kuechley is great player; Norman is one of the best corners in the game; Ealy was a beast in the SB; Thomas Davis; etc, etc... Carolina's defense was great too - watching CJ Anderson battle for 90 yds... love that type of game. Very tough in the trenches...

My kind of game :)

Pugger
02-09-2016, 09:31 AM

You don't suppose he'll change his mind and try to come back in 2016?

Cheesehead Craig
02-09-2016, 09:35 AM
What you saw was a great game. Best game I've watched in a long time. The offenses looked completely vexed b/c the defense was so spectacularly good for both teams.

As I said in another thread, to me, the most important aspect of the game was Denver's rush ends controlling both OT's; taking 1/2 the man rushes that controlled the OT and leveraged Cam into the pocket by making sure they didn't take their rushes too far upfield. Denver did this consistently; and, they consistently got pressure with four - when they sent four. On blitz's? Wade Philips was brilliant; the coverage was great... beautiful thing to watch.

And Carolina was just as good. Kuechley is great player; Norman is one of the best corners in the game; Ealy was a beast in the SB; Thomas Davis; etc, etc... Carolina's defense was great too - watching CJ Anderson battle for 90 yds... love that type of game. Very tough in the trenches...

In an era where the offense is so favored by the rules, it was outstanding to see the 2 best defensive teams battle it out. Very enjoyable game.

yetisnowman
02-09-2016, 11:22 AM

I really didn't see a great game at all. I am for tough, physical battles...But this game was just sloppy. Drops, fumbles, turnovers, errant throws, penalties, missed calls,a coach refusing to adjust a gameplan. Certainly some talented players on both sides and both defenses were inpressive. But I saw more futility and ineptitude than I saw great play.

mraynrand
02-09-2016, 12:19 PM
In an era where the offense is so favored by the rules, it was outstanding to see the 2 best defensive teams battle it out. Very enjoyable game.

I agree

Teamcheez1
02-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Watching the worst offensive display in SB history was not enjoyable.

wist43
02-09-2016, 06:28 PM
I really didn't see a great game at all. I am for tough, physical battles...But this game was just sloppy. Drops, fumbles, turnovers, errant throws, penalties, missed calls,a coach refusing to adjust a gameplan. Certainly some talented players on both sides and both defenses were inpressive. But I saw more futility and ineptitude than I saw great play.

All of what you are describing as "sloppy", is the result of coming up against a great defense.

Nobody figured Denver's offense was going to move the ball much against Carolina's defense; the question all along was, 'was Denver's defense good enough to shut down Carolina's offense?'. The answer to that question was, yes.

Go back and watch the tape... early throws, bad throws, getting pressed hard in the pocket, the OT's unable to contain and/or control Denver's DE'sk etc. Denver's defense was simply lights-out great all night. Real pleasure to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMvwpMY3eu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIthKet6sx0

yetisnowman
02-09-2016, 08:38 PM
Look I'm not denying that Denver's D was great. But Carolina's execution and poise was terrible. 12 penalties, a handful of drops, bad passes, bad adjustments. A more disciplined effort could have overcome Denvers D. Cotchery hangs on to 2 more passes and Cam and Co just protect the ball a little bit and they win that game.

pbmax
02-10-2016, 09:40 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet Feb 8
Cam Newton was hit 13 times in #SuperBowl50. He was hit an avg of 3.4 times per game beforehand and never more than 6 times this season

He got bothered quite a bit, but he also had many drops where he had time (he dropped back 41 times). He was inaccurate (even early) and had his receivers turned in a bunch of drops. He also lost Corey Brown and another WR in the game.

This wasn't the same pressure that got to Brady (20+). But he also wasn't good enough to beat it. I think Patler was right after the Packers played them, he needs to stop spraying the ball.

So good defense? Yes. Good quarterbacking? Nope.

mraynrand
02-10-2016, 09:58 AM
Are you suggesting that an inured WR(s) can affect an offense? I see you kinda blame Newton, but really shouldn't you be blaming the GM for not having additional starter-quality receivers available when one or multiple receivers get hurt?

pbmax
02-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Are you suggesting that an inured WR(s) can affect an offense? I see you kinda blame Newton, but really shouldn't you be blaming the GM for not having additional starter-quality receivers available when one or multiple receivers get hurt?

Receivers 5-7 must be ready to step up and deliver or the GM has failed utterly. The coach and QB should pick up the GM slack, but they failed utterly too.

Really, we have enough blame to go around.

And don't get me started on luck. Luck has nothing to do with Super Bowls.

Joemailman
02-10-2016, 04:18 PM
And don't get me started on luck. Luck has nothing to do with Super Bowls.

True.

http://www.salisburypost.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/WEB-011815sp-Chris-Smith.jpg

pbmax
02-11-2016, 09:33 AM
There is video of Michael Oher quite literally sliding while trying to anchor against a pass rusher on the Levi stadium turf. He slides backward like he is on skates. Its remarkable that he keeps his balance. It looks like Ware is working a blocking sled.

Despite that near calamity of pass protection, Cam has time and a clear pocket. He has three receivers running out of a group. He chooses the crossing route but the DB makes a great jump and hits Olsen as the ball gets there. Incomplete.

However, because of that bunched WR group (something the Packers should have been using much more of this year) the DB cannot press at the line. Olsen is free on his release and he gets a step or two into the route after his break before the DB closes. But the ball and DB arrive at the same time. Newton was late on the throw.

The Denver D isn't just good on the edges, though the pressure obviously helps a great deal. The Denver D is good enough that it can stop a QB who doesn't throw with anticipation. Newton didn't do that enough in the game to rescue the offense. If he isn't able to run, he needs to be able to do that.