PDA

View Full Version : Packers Re-sign Guion

Striker
02-12-2016, 08:36 AM
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 8m8 minutes ago
#Packers and DT Letroy Guion have agreed in principle to a 3-year, $11.25m deal, per league source.

MadScientist
02-12-2016, 09:12 AM
Well they need the production. I just hope all that money doesn't go up in smoke.

jklowan
02-12-2016, 09:35 AM
Well they need the production. I just hope all that money doesn't go up in smoke.

I hope that this doesn't mean RAJI is gone

Deputy Nutz
02-12-2016, 09:37 AM
That's a lot of weed

call_me_ishmael
02-12-2016, 09:38 AM
That is a bargain price. I am not surprised they resigned him at that price. I am surprised he didn't get offered more. Isn't this guy considered a pretty good player?

jklowan
02-12-2016, 09:39 AM
I guess that's what happens when you get caught with a couple lbs of weed.....

might be a sign we are going to sign our own DL so we can draft a few OL

texaspackerbacker
02-12-2016, 09:54 AM
I hope that this doesn't mean RAJI is gone

I hope this DOES mean Raji is gone!

pbmax
02-12-2016, 11:12 AM
Gonna be good times in Florida. JSO will have another hot take that Guion is a terrible person and a huge risk ready to go all year long.

Kinda surprised, Guion wasn't obviously having a monster year (in fact he lost some snaps to Pennel early) but I think this is a win longer term.

I would still take Raji back at the right price but between G-man and Pennel, they can afford to do something else.

hoosier
02-12-2016, 11:24 AM
He kind of stepped it up in the last month, no? I hope we are not witnessing the coronation of Cletidus the Second.

pbmax
02-12-2016, 11:26 AM
He kind of stepped it up in the last month, no? I hope we are not witnessing the coronation of Cletidus the Second.

Even forgetting inflation, I think he got less than Cledtius money.

However we must remember, he was not a UFA. Not the kind that counts.

Pugger
02-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Ted likes to keep his own and his first rounders - other than Harrell and Sherrod - so unless some team offers BJ the moon Raji should be back too.

Patler
02-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Guion said in an interview late this season that he felt he owed the Packers for sticking by him through his legal troubles, and if they wanted him back he would come for whatever role they needed him for. He basically said he would accept if the Packers made an offer.

mraynrand
02-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Gonna need a car with a bigger trunk to hold all that ... money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVbHijaOpuI

Guiness
02-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Did he ever get his money and truck back?

pbmax
02-12-2016, 03:52 PM

Yep.

pbmax
02-12-2016, 03:53 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 28m28 minutes ago
B.J. Raji hasn't talked to Packers about contract http://wp.me/p14QSB-9Z2m

wist43
02-12-2016, 04:47 PM

Yep.

Last I heard he hadn't gotten his money back... getting your money back from a gangster that has already stolen it from you?? That's a pretty tough row to hoe...

pbmax
02-12-2016, 04:51 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/chief-says-he-relented-on-releasing-cash-truck-to-packers-letroy-guion-b99631627z1-361483441.html

You just need more resources than the jurisdiction that confiscated it wants to muster to fight you.

denverYooper
02-12-2016, 06:47 PM
Nice move. The DL really seemed to come together as a unit and was a strength of the team. Guion was referred to at times as an emotional leader of the unit.

run pMc
02-12-2016, 07:19 PM
Don't think Raji will be back. Between Daniels and Guion, I don't think they'll throw that much money at a group. Plus, there's supposed to be a bumper crop at DL in the draft, and Boyd comes back to join Datone, Ringo, and Pennel.
Guion isn't an allstar, but when he's not a knucklehead he can stand up a lineman or two. Country strong, they say. I recall him playing pretty good on a goal line stand or two.

Joemailman
02-12-2016, 07:39 PM
Don't think Raji will be back. Between Daniels and Guion, I don't think they'll throw that much money at a group. Plus, there's supposed to be a bumper crop at DL in the draft, and Boyd comes back to join Datone, Ringo, and Pennel.
Guion isn't an allstar, but when he's not a knucklehead he can stand up a lineman or two. Country strong, they say. I recall him playing pretty good on a goal line stand or two.

Yep. It was going to be Raji or Guion, but not both. Raji started out great this year, but then injuries slowed him down. Guion was the better player the 2nd half of the year.

Bretsky
02-12-2016, 09:06 PM
A decent signing. Let Raji go; he's not a good fit for this defense. WE need a Gilbert Brown/Ryan PIckett kind of plugger who can handle two guys and let our sub par ILB's play so Matthews can go back to where he belongs. Yes, we need a ILB too; but we also need that plugger too

wist43
02-12-2016, 09:19 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/chief-says-he-relented-on-releasing-cash-truck-to-packers-letroy-guion-b99631627z1-361483441.html

You just need more resources than the jurisdiction that confiscated it wants to muster to fight you.

Were Guion not an NFL player with a little bit of a profile - the cops would've already spent the loot.

Far too many stories out there of average folks having their life savings, or business capital seized - never to be seen again. With cops like that, who needs robbers??

mraynrand
02-12-2016, 10:13 PM
Were Guion not an NFL player with a little bit of a profile - the cops would've already spent the loot.

Far too many stories out there of average folks having their life savings, or business capital seized - never to be seen again. With cops like that, who needs robbers??

Nice move. The DL really seemed to come together as a unit and was a strength of the team. Guion was referred to at times as an emotional leader of the unit.

http://cdn.quotesgram.com/small/93/48/536471837-357yaa.jpg

pbmax
02-13-2016, 08:10 AM
A decent signing. Let Raji go; he's not a good fit for this defense. WE need a Gilbert Brown/Ryan PIckett kind of plugger who can handle two guys and let our sub par ILB's play so Matthews can go back to where he belongs. Yes, we need a ILB too; but we also need that plugger too

When we had Pickett and Raji, the defense had some of its worst years against the run, as well as two of their better years in 09 and 10.

But I don't think Pickett types are as good a fit anymore with the 2-4. Young Pickett, maybe.

gbgary
02-13-2016, 10:23 AM
guion...GOOD!

lol

Fritz
02-16-2016, 06:07 AM
The way the Packers have operated in the past, this means no Raji unless he gets no other offers from other teams.

Bye, BJ. It was good knowing you. You were solid.

wist43
02-16-2016, 09:22 AM
Guion played pretty well from what I saw, so I like the resigning.

I want Raji back too though - and the rest of the front seven for that matter. If we kept what we have, and added a Ryan Shazier/Shaq Thompson type LB, I think we'd have a shot at being a very good defense.

Don't know what the cap implications would be - but make no mistake, investing in the front seven is an absolute must if this team is ever going to win another championship during Rodgers' career.

Joemailman
02-16-2016, 09:38 AM
Guion played pretty well from what I saw, so I like the resigning.

I want Raji back too though - and the rest of the front seven for that matter. If we kept what we have, and added a Ryan Shazier/Shaq Thompson type LB, I think we'd have a shot at being a very good defense.

Don't know what the cap implications would be - but make no mistake, investing in the front seven is an absolute must if this team is ever going to win another championship during Rodgers' career.

Don't think you'll see Raji back unless his market value in really low. Giving Raji a lot of money would create salary cap problems next year. Plus, DT may be the strongest position in this year's draft.

wist43
02-16-2016, 09:49 AM
Don't think you'll see Raji back unless his market value in really low. Giving Raji a lot of money would create salary cap problems next year. Plus, DT may be the strongest position in this year's draft.

I agree with that... don't think Raji will command a big contract though. I'd concentrate on resigning Neal before Raji...

And I do hope that TT comes away from the draft with a couple of really good DT's. Most importantly for the defense though, is to fill the huge void at ILB; specifically, a speed backer that can wreak havoc out of nickel alignments.

Patler
02-16-2016, 12:36 PM
I'd concentrate on resigning Neal before Raji...

Who first, Neal or Perry? I vacillate on that choice. As they exist today, I would probably take Neal; but, I have a feeling Perry has potential yet to reach, whereas I see Neal as all he will ever be. Perry doesn't turn 26 until April, still young with time to develop. In two or three years, he could be a better player than he is today. I don't think that is true for Neal.

wist43
02-16-2016, 03:37 PM
Who first, Neal or Perry? I vacillate on that choice. As they exist today, I would probably take Neal; but, I have a feeling Perry has potential yet to reach, whereas I see Neal as all he will ever be. Perry doesn't turn 26 until April, still young with time to develop. In two or three years, he could be a better player than he is today. I don't think that is true for Neal.

I'd take Neal over Perry, but they both bring positives to the field.

Perry is tough, strong. Can effectively lock out and control OT's to set the edge. Isn't great at disengaging, but he's okay. In the nickel, he's a much better fit outside than Clay is; while at the same time, Clay is the best ILB we have on the roster. So Perry's emergence has filled two holes and helped give the defense some backbone.

On the other side, Neal is probably the most consistent outside pass rusher we have. His consistent pressure from LOLB/LDE needs to be recognized. Don't break the bank - but pay the man.

Of Guion, Neal, Perry and Raji - I'd have Raji last on that wish list.

HarveyWallbangers
02-16-2016, 06:35 PM

If I knew each would be healthy, I'd take Perry. That's not the case, so I lean towards Neal.

Patler
02-16-2016, 06:59 PM
If I knew each would be healthy, I'd take Perry. That's not the case, so I lean towards Neal.

Yet, Perry played a lot more games in his 4 years than Neal did in his first 4. I'm hoping Perry matures physically into a more reliable player, just as Neal did.

pbmax
02-16-2016, 07:21 PM
Yet, Perry played a lot more games in his 4 years than Neal did in his first 4. I'm hoping Perry matures physically into a more reliable player, just as Neal did.

Perry has a little Cullen Jenkins in him. Every year he has a nagging problem. Usually shoulder, sometimes foot.

Also, Perry is better in run support on edge than either Neal or Clay, but Clay is best if he has to drop to coverage. Not close either way. Perry on edge and Clay in middle was the basic reason the run defense improved after the by week last year.

3irty1
02-16-2016, 08:00 PM
I'd take Perry just slightly over Neal. Its normal to watch entire NFL games without seeing an pass rusher soundly beat a tackle who knows he's coming low around the edge for a sub 2 second sack. The last two or three of them I remember seeing from a Packer have all been from Perry and they seem to be more and more frequent.

I like them both but if one of them is going to be a steal in their second contract I'd guess Perry.

Patler
02-17-2016, 01:16 AM
I'd take Perry just slightly over Neal.

I like them both but if one of them is going to be a steal in their second contract I'd guess Perry.

That's the thing, Neal will be in his third contract, his 7th season.

smuggler
02-17-2016, 08:54 AM
Raji was pretty good. In 2010.

pbmax
02-17-2016, 10:21 AM
Raji was pretty good. In 2010.

Like everyone else, he started off this year like a house on fire but got banged up and slowed.

pbmax
02-17-2016, 10:35 AM
Otherwise, all the money is in base salary, offseason bonuses and weekly roster bonuses. Almost half of it, in fact, will be paid in the weekly per-game roster bonuses ($50,000 per game), as the Packers don’t want to put themselves on the hook for and potential absences. He has a pair of $250,000 roster bonuses due in May and August this year, and a pair of $400,000 roster bonuses next year as well.

Team friendly again.

Quote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/17/packers-put-little-guaranteed-money-into-letroy-guions-new-deal/

Original source: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2016/02/17/only-500k-guaranteed-guion-deal/80496154/

Fritz
02-22-2016, 07:09 AM
My guess is that the Packers will now play wait-and-see with Raji, Neal, and Perry. I wonder if they're negotiating with Crosby, though.