PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Greene Wants to Return

wpony
02-16-2016, 02:04 AM
http://totalpackers.com/2016/02/kevin-greene-wants-to-return-dom-capers-says-no/"]

Joemailman
02-16-2016, 06:41 AM
http://totalpackers.com/2016/02/kevin-greene-wants-to-return-dom-capers-says-no/

Greene brought a lot of fire when he was here. Whether or not he was a really good coach is debatable. I imagine he'll be back in the NFL at some point.

pbmax
02-16-2016, 07:13 AM
Worried about their job? Who Capers or McCarthy? Does anyone think passion is enough to be a D coordinator or head coach?

This is the same kind of speculation that led a team to pay Mike Singletary to be a head coach.

BTW, if they think Greene was the only passionate coach, they have never seen Trgovac on the sidelines.

Patler
02-16-2016, 08:41 AM
A much longer article about that was published in the GBPG about a week ago.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2016/02/10/kevin-greene-eyeing-return-nfl/80179502/

In view of the long history between Greene and Capers, I found it interesting that Capers quickly slammed the door shut on any speculation about Greene returning to GB:

“I’m sure you’ll see Kevin at some point in time back in the league coaching,” said Capers, who coached Greene with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Carolina Panthers. “There’s nothing available (with the Packers). That’s always (a big factor) in this business in terms of availability. But he’s a passionate guy. He did a good job for us in the five years he was here.”

He didn't say that Greene will find a job quickly, but "at some point in time"; or that he will have no trouble finding a job. He didn't say that Greene was an outstanding coach, or a great coach, or even a very good coach; just that he was "passionate" and "did a good job". It didn't come across as a very enthusiastic endorsement.

Pugger
02-16-2016, 08:57 AM
There just isn't a place for him on our staff right now. With Winston Moss and Scott McCurley coaching this position now we don't need another one.

I'm still wondering what is going on on the other side of the ball. Why hasn't there been an announcement about Brian Angelichio or Ben Sirmans yet? Or what all this just rumors?

Joemailman
02-16-2016, 09:02 AM
I would think teams at this point pretty much have their coaching staffs set for 2016. If and when Greene does get an interview for a job, he'll need to convince the team he's really committed to coaching after walking away from the Packers.

Rutnstrut
02-16-2016, 01:56 PM
A much longer article about that was published in the GBPG about a week ago.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2016/02/10/kevin-greene-eyeing-return-nfl/80179502/

In view of the long history between Greene and Capers, I found it interesting that Capers quickly slammed the door shut on any speculation about Greene returning to GB:

He didn't say that Greene will find a job quickly, but "at some point in time"; or that he will have no trouble finding a job. He didn't say that Greene was an outstanding coach, or a great coach, or even a very good coach; just that he was "passionate" and "did a good job". It didn't come across as a very enthusiastic endorsement.

In the case of Capers, a non enthusiastic endorsement isn't exactly a bad thing. In fact it's probably better than if old spray paint hair had said Greene was his best student.

Striker
02-17-2016, 09:19 AM
I would think teams at this point pretty much have their coaching staffs set for 2016. If and when Greene does get an interview for a job, he'll need to convince the team he's really committed to coaching after walking away from the Packers.

^ This. Rebuilding trust in his dedication will be big.

woodbuck27
02-17-2016, 01:15 PM

He never left the Packers to NOT coach. He went on coaching but felt a need to coach his son.

He obviously had to deal with some conscience and his family and therefore not a bad thing and 'in fact' commendable. Family first for the individual ........ Right !? The Green Bat Packers wouldn't have any problem with his decision ....right.

Of course it had to offend Mike McCarthy and Dom Capers in terms of the timing of that decision and because of his rather long time with the coaching staff and his overall spirited attitude and that decision not coming at the end of the season.

Did something go down that was kept on the hush!?

KYPack
02-17-2016, 09:52 PM
I thought the story was that mama Greene didn't like GB.

Greenie coached the hell out of LB's in 2010 SB.

But, as many have said, no fan knows how good coaches are from watching games and sideline antics.

MadScientist
02-18-2016, 08:52 AM
A couple of years with the wife and kids convinced Greene to try to get back to the NFL.

Pugger
02-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Greene recently said the reason he left GB was to coach his son's high school team. Now that son is in college Kevin wants to return to the NFL.

Patler
02-18-2016, 09:54 AM
Greene worked as a "guest coach" during training camps for quite a few years with a couple teams before accepting the full time position with GB. The story was that he "wasn't ready" for full time coaching before that. Then, after being a full time coach for a few years, he needed to "step away". After leaving Green Bay, he did the same "guest coaching" thing during training camp with the Eagles. I'm not criticizing or belittling his reasons, but it needs to be recognized that full time NFL coaching is not for everyone. It's not a 9 to 5 job, or even an 8:00 to 6:00 job (although I can't say that I have ever understood why it isn't). It could be that while Greene really enjoys the direct coaching aspects he (or his family) isn't not suited to the 12-16 hour days coaches think are necessary.

mraynrand
02-18-2016, 10:41 AM
The great coaches never leave the facility

pbmax
02-18-2016, 11:07 AM

It all started with that idiot Dick Vermeil. He slept so often in his office that he had to take a 20 year sabbatical before returning to coaching.

Same with Chuckie.

Patler
02-18-2016, 11:18 AM

Goofy, isn't it? What really is there for an assistant OL coach to do at 9:00pm on Thursday night between two Sunday games? They have 23 coaches. At 60 hours per week, that is 1380 coaching hours/week, or 26 coaching hours/player on the 53 man roster. At 70 hours/week it is up to 30 coaching hours per player.

mraynrand
02-18-2016, 12:59 PM
If the Packers are looking for an inexpensive game day replacement for Kevin Greene, I'd be happy to grow out what hair I have left, stand on the sidelines and say "It is time, it is time" at crucial moments of the game. I would do this gratis.

Patler
02-18-2016, 02:03 PM
If the Packers are looking for an inexpensive game day replacement for Kevin Greene, I'd be happy to grow out what hair I have left, stand on the sidelines and say "It is time, it is time" at crucial moments of the game. I would do this gratis.

Can you snarl, look menacing and stomp around looking like you could still play in the NFL? (Forget the "still" part of that question.)

George Cumby
02-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Goofy, isn't it? What really is there for an assistant OL coach to do at 9:00pm on Thursday night between two Sunday games? They have 23 coaches. At 60 hours per week, that is 1380 coaching hours/week, or 26 coaching hours/player on the 53 man roster. At 70 hours/week it is up to 30 coaching hours per player.

And it's just a game after all. Highly lucrative, highly entertaining but a game nonetheless. It's not like people's lives are at stake.

mraynrand
02-19-2016, 04:28 PM
Can you snarl, look menacing and stomp around looking like you could still play in the NFL? (Forget the "still" part of that question.)

Hey, I once looked like I could play in the NFL. 6'3", 215, could throw the ball 50 yards in the air. I could throw a football over them mountains!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL-VX3WbA9U&ebc=ANyPxKrFpmQTtVqrlZZmF4DoeW77ECloo64oVHcZhnecqc 9eoCtGiSHXt2uOexT_wvGXPmb0kB_A

Menacing? People are plenty afraid of the black mamba!