PDA

View Full Version : Mike Pennel Suspended Four Games

pbmax
02-19-2016, 03:14 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 6m6 minutes ago
New from JS: Packers DT Mike Pennel suspended four games for violating substance abuse program http://ift.tt/213BYWQ #Packers

Maybe this year they were trying to get over the Cardinals playoff loss?

Cheesehead Craig
02-19-2016, 03:56 PM
Well, at least he won't get hurt early in the season. He'll just be that much fresher before the Packers go into the bye week.

mraynrand
02-19-2016, 04:23 PM
At least he wasn't in a car trunk

woodbuck27
02-19-2016, 11:20 PM
PACKERS SUSPENSIONS

The following are suspensions Green Bay Packers have received for violations of the personal or performance-enhancing (PED) drug policies dating to 1989:

Mike Pennel, 4 games, 2016

Letroy Guion 3 games, 2015

Datone Jones, 1 game, 2015

Jarrett Bush, 4 games, 2015

Mike Neal, 4 games, 2012 (PED)

Johnny Jolly, indefinite, 2010

Koren Robinson, entire season, 2006

Jude Waddy, four games, 1998 (PED)

Keith Uecker, four games, 1989 (PED)

Mike Ariey, four games, 1989 (PED)

Patler
02-20-2016, 02:29 PM
Pennel, Jones, Guion, Neal, Jolly - seems to be a DL issue.

esoxx
02-20-2016, 04:18 PM
Purple Drank

denverYooper
02-20-2016, 04:51 PM
Colorado Kind

Pugger
02-21-2016, 07:31 AM
What a dope - literally.

Teamcheez1
02-21-2016, 08:00 AM
It looks to me like we need to take advantage of the DL depth in the draft.

Joemailman
02-21-2016, 08:33 AM
I was thinking the Packers should cut Pennel to show the rest of the team they won't put up with this stupidity anymore. But then I remembered they just gave Guion a 3 year contract, so that would look hypocritical.

When will the madness end?

http://www.cvltnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/56027d11-88c1-4058-8e72-a1757620cd3b.jpeg

Carolina_Packer
02-22-2016, 06:03 AM
Because Pennel was suspended four games he either violated his treatment plan, which could have included a prohibition on drinking alcohol, missed a schedule drug test, or tested positive for a harsher drug than marijuana. The NFL does not reveal which violation was committed.

Any way you slice it, this guy has obviously been dealing with this issue prior to this suspension, and hopefully gets it together, as he has a promising career, plus maybe has some of the biggest arms you'll ever see on a human.

Fritz
02-22-2016, 06:55 AM
Remember all those articles when he first came in, about how he had so much growing up to do, but he was learning his lesson, he knew he'd screwed up but this was the pros, this was different, he would learn . . . ?

Then some mention, I think, later, of his maturation.

I wonder if he was reading about himself and his maturation process in the JSO while he was snorting a line or dranking a drank or huffing a doobie.

Patler
02-22-2016, 08:31 AM
Remember all those articles when he first came in, about how he had so much growing up to do, but he was learning his lesson, he knew he'd screwed up but this was the pros, this was different, he would learn . . . ?

Then some mention, I think, later, of his maturation.

I wonder if he was reading about himself and his maturation process in the JSO while he was snorting a line or dranking a drank or huffing a doobie.

Yup, with as extensive as NFL scouting is, there are reasons when no team takes a 7th round flier on a guy of Pennel's size, athletic ability and strength. He was a risk. Sometimes taking the risk pays off for a team, sometimes the player has not remedied the risk factors.

Pennel is at a crossroad in his career. He has proven that he can play in the league and has demonstrated enough potential to hang around for a while. Now he must prove he has the personal commitment to get with the program.

Joemailman
02-22-2016, 04:32 PM
I may be wrong about this, but it seems to me that a fair number of guys get suspended multiple games for drug use, but very few get caught again, which would mean an indefinite suspension. If so, it would suggest these guys get a bit smarter once the drug use costs them money. Lots of money. Hopefully this will be the case with Pennel.

Patler
02-22-2016, 07:06 PM
I may be wrong about this, but it seems to me that a fair number of guys get suspended multiple games for drug use, but very few get caught again, which would mean an indefinite suspension. If so, it would suggest these guys get a bit smarter once the drug use costs them money. Lots of money. Hopefully this will be the case with Pennel.

Since 1983, after a quick review, it appears there have been 49 suspensions of one year, indefinite or life under the two "substance" policies. Apparently a good number of them do learn from their mistakes.