PDA

View Full Version : Jared Cook

call_me_ishmael
02-19-2016, 07:56 PM
You absolutely have to sign this guy, right? I mean... he has put up some pretty big numbers with bad quarterbacks in STL. I've never seen him play but the numbers don't lie. He seems pretty athletic, too. What say you?

KYPack
02-19-2016, 08:29 PM
If you've ever seen him in person, yer amazed at what a stud he is physically.

He's never produced & got big money, top QB's or no.

There will be a lot of players cut and UFAed this off-season.

Maybe we do dip our toes in that FA pool.

woodbuck27
02-19-2016, 09:42 PM
TE Jared Cook Born ... Apr 7, 1987 in Suwanee, GA

Drafted: ... 2009:... 3rd Rnd,... 89th by TEN

Experience ... 7th season

College ... South Carolina

Career Statistics Fr. NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/player/jaredcook/71265/careerstats

ESPN Stat's:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12537/jared-cook

Pugger
02-20-2016, 07:22 AM
No thanks. Looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane.

Bossman641
02-20-2016, 08:07 AM
There are a few TE's I wouldn't mind taking a look at (Cook, Ladarius Green).

Bretsky
02-20-2016, 08:15 AM
Besides Hibernation, there is no reason TT cant' find a serious upgrade at TE in free agency.
Jared Cook, perhaps Martellus Bennett, and either Fleener or Allen from Indy will most likely head the list.

All of them are superior to the bad, badder, and baddest we already have on our roster.

Generally, though TT hibernates for the first 30 days of Free Agency and then sees what might be out there after. We'll just have to be patient.

BTW, the Rams ILB would be a very nice fit as well. Of course, he'll get signed most likely within the 30 day period.

Fritz
02-20-2016, 09:29 AM
Besides Hibernation, there is no reason TT cant' find a serious upgrade at TE in free agency.
Jared Cook, perhaps Martellus Bennett, and either Fleener or Allen from Indy will most likely head the list.

All of them are superior to the bad, badder, and baddest we already have on our roster.

Generally, though TT hibernates for the first 30 days of Free Agency and then sees what might be out there after. We'll just have to be patient.

BTW, the Rams ILB would be a very nice fit as well. Of course, he'll get signed most likely within the 30 day period.

Bretsky, I'd be willing to entertain the idea if you hadn't written "serious" upgrade. How is a guy with Cook's numbers or Bennett's numbers/age a "serious" upgrade? Maybe a minor upgrade. Maybe the potential is higher than Rodgers's. But not a serious upgrade.

Laurenitis seems like AJ Hawk Junior to me, complete with OSU pedigree. How is that an upgrade??

KYPack
02-20-2016, 09:39 AM
Yeah, that's the drill, B.

The TE UFA's are very interesting and our TE's ain't. Interesting or any good.

Lauranitis has Packer written all over him, but TT treats that position like a spare tire.

He wants one of his mid rounders to pan out and not put much $ at that position.

I'm worried that by playing CMIII in the middle for a couple seasons, we may have frittered his time as an outside rusher away.

mraynrand
02-20-2016, 09:51 AM
^^^ Clay got some outside rushes in, some stunts, etc. I haven't started rewatching the games yet, but if and when I do, I plan to get some numbers as to how many times they freed him up to rush from outside. I suspect it's a lot more than people think.

mraynrand
02-20-2016, 09:56 AM
The running meme of the need for upgrade at TE really has taken hold. I honestly think the problem is not the quality of the TE, but the way he was used. Don't get me wrong, the Packers can do better than Rodgers, and they need more depth for sure, with Q being a shadow. But (for example) constantly deploying Richard Rodgers in the flat was a failure of imagination and a mis-assignment of a player. The scheme can be a whole lot better. Also, Rodgers has to trust that he can throw higher across the middle to Rodgers. It may have been part of his mistrust of his accuracy that prevented such throws.

My bottom line: The TE position is a position of need, but it's not a tire fire.

Joemailman
02-20-2016, 10:05 AM
Bretsky, I'd be willing to entertain the idea if you hadn't written "serious" upgrade. How is a guy with Cook's numbers or Bennett's numbers/age a "serious" upgrade? Maybe a minor upgrade. Maybe the potential is higher than Rodgers's. But not a serious upgrade.

Bennet's numbers were down this year, but he was playing with fractured ribs before being put on IR for the last 5 games. Unlike Cook, he can block. He's only 1 year removed from a Pro Bowl year. He would be an upgrade.

esoxx
02-20-2016, 10:20 AM
Would love to see James Laryngitis added to the team.

mraynrand
02-20-2016, 10:23 AM

people speak well of him, but he needs to have his own voice.

KYPack
02-20-2016, 10:29 AM
I agree to a large extent, Rand. You can't dump on DickRod. Hell, for a couple 3 games he was the only receiver getting open and making catches.

MM needs to re-install those middle of the field routes that all but disappeared from our play sets last season.

We didn't have WR's that could run shallow crosses or those backside digs at all.

Adams was hurt and had the drops. Jones slowed to a crawl and didn't draw any looks from opposing safeties. Cobb was really dinged and played a few games when he should have been getting healed up.

it seemed like ground hog day with Clements sending 'em in last season.

1st down - loss of two
2nd down - a smoke route that gains a yard
3rd down and eleven? Rodgers had few cards to play.

TE's? DickRod is a good young kid. Shoot, he gets a hall pass for the "Turkey Mary" if nothing else.

But there is roster room with the other guys. We need to lose Q and Perillo's beer gut if nothing else at TE.

Get DRod a playmate who knows what he's doing.

Coby Fleener or somebody like that wouldn't bother me a bit.

Pugger
02-20-2016, 11:21 AM

He'll remind us of AJ Hawk if you listen to Rams fans.

KYPack
02-20-2016, 12:47 PM

Similar players, no doubt.

Solid citizens, relentless, but few splash plays.

JL worth a big contract?

Nah.

If he gets passed over and needs a home after the stupid money is spent by stupid teams?

Yeah, worth a flyer until we can get a home grown guy.

Freak Out
02-20-2016, 06:23 PM

Never missed a game either.

Bretsky
02-20-2016, 07:33 PM

Laurenitis seems like AJ Hawk Junior to me, complete with OSU pedigree. How is that an upgrade??

Disappointed in you Fritzy; the thing this team needs out of a TE is a guy who can stretch the filed down the seam. Look by the numbers; Bennett is a huge upgrade. Cook gives us something we don't have. You keep RR as a security blanket and pitch Quarles.

How much have you watched Laurentis play ? If you don't think he's an upgrade over Hawk I guess we can't even discuss this.

Bretsky
02-20-2016, 07:35 PM
Bennet's numbers were down this year, but he was playing with fractured ribs before being put on IR for the last 5 games. Unlike Cook, he can block. He's only 1 year removed from a Pro Bowl year. He would be an upgrade.

Bennett is a double HUGE upgrade. I think he has character issues but talent wise if you watch him play it's hard to think he's not the real deal.

Bretsky
02-20-2016, 07:36 PM
The running meme of the need for upgrade at TE really has taken hold. I honestly think the problem is not the quality of the TE, but the way he was used. Don't get me wrong, the Packers can do better than Rodgers, and they need more depth for sure, with Q being a shadow. But (for example) constantly deploying Richard Rodgers in the flat was a failure of imagination and a mis-assignment of a player. The scheme can be a whole lot better. Also, Rodgers has to trust that he can throw higher across the middle to Rodgers. It may have been part of his mistrust of his accuracy that prevented such throws.

My bottom line: The TE position is a position of need, but it's not a tire fire.

Rodgers runs decent routes and is a fine complimentary TE or #2 TE IMO. The upgrade scraps Quarless

Bretsky
02-20-2016, 07:38 PM
Similar players, no doubt.

Solid citizens, relentless, but few splash plays.

JL worth a big contract?

Nah.

If he gets passed over and needs a home after the stupid money is spent by stupid teams?

Yeah, worth a flyer until we can get a home grown guy.

Agree he is NOT worthy of the stupid money; I don't think TT will spend stupid money on TE's or ILB's..........but there are options to land if we choose

Patler
02-20-2016, 08:19 PM
Rams cutting Laurinitas is like the Packers cutting Hawk. If the Rams preferred the $1M dead cap hit to his $6M roster cap hit, essentially he wasn't worth $5M to them. Why should GB want him at any price? Has he been any more productive than Hawk? Isn't he at the same spot Hawk was a couple years ago? Do we want to relive that time?

Cook? Has he ever been anything more than potential? Maybe he didn't have the best QBs, but as a TE he should have been the QB's best friend. A better receiver than Quarless, but apparently a worse blocker. Cook looks like just more treading water. I would prefer taking a shot with an unknown rookie to an under performing 8th year veteran.

Neither one would excite me much, if TT were to sign them.

Patler
02-20-2016, 08:28 PM
Just read an interesting article on Laurenitas. They pointed out that his solo tackles have been declining for three years, significantly this year. He isn't getting to the spots as quickly and/or isn't getting guys down without help. As for turnovers, sacks, passes defensed, etc., he never was much more than Hawk in that regard.

HarveyWallbangers
02-21-2016, 12:49 AM
I know Cook is a tease, but I wouldn't mind seeing him with Rodgers. The cost would have to be minimal though. I have little to no interest in Laurinaitis (and that's coming from an OSU fan). I want somebody more dynamic. I think there are some decent ILBs in this draft (a mix of the Ryan Shazier types like Darron Lee and Deion Jones and old school types like Ragland and Joshua Perry). I'm not sure Ragland is going to be my top rated guy come draft time--although I haven't really gotten through looking at the ILBs.

wist43
02-21-2016, 07:50 PM
It would be interesting to see what Cook could do in a prolific offense in which he was the 4th/5th option.

Seems like every year, the expectations for Cook are high, he comes out and has a couple of big games to start the season, then nothing. His targets dry up, and he becomes an afterthought in the offense. I like Jeff Fisher as a coach, but his philosophy with respect to offense hasn't done Cook any favors.

Still - we all know that TT will never sign Cook, or any other FA TE for that matter.

Fritz
02-22-2016, 06:57 AM
It would be interesting to see what Cook could do in a prolific offense in which he was the 4th/5th option.

Seems like every year, the expectations for Cook are high, he comes out and has a couple of big games to start the season, then nothing. His targets dry up, and he becomes an afterthought in the offense. I like Jeff Fisher as a coach, but his philosophy with respect to offense hasn't done Cook any favors.

Still - we all know that TT will never sign Cook, or any other FA TE for that matter.

I thought I was reading about Jermichael Finley, post-injury.

Funny how many posters are hot to sign some of these guys, but when you compare their actual performances to current or former Packers, it doesn't look that much different.

Laurenitis = Hawk, yet there's some sentiment to sign him.

Cook = every Packer tight end of the last four years.

call_me_ishmael
02-22-2016, 12:05 PM
I don't really care if this cat catches passes. He is huge and super fast. He is a more athletic version of Finley (on paper). That opens up the middle of the field big time if you believe what MM says (I do).

pbmax
02-22-2016, 01:19 PM
I don't really care if this cat catches passes. He is huge and super fast. He is a more athletic version of Finley (on paper). That opens up the middle of the field big time if you believe what MM says (I do).

Well, now we know your are a descendant of Al Davis.

Deputy Nutz
02-22-2016, 02:15 PM
From what I see from JL, I see more Chad Greenway than AJ Hawk.

Bretsky
02-22-2016, 07:15 PM
Richard Rodgers is clearly one of the top TE's in the NFL based on numbers.............shhhhh.......doesn't matter who the QB is

mraynrand
02-22-2016, 10:44 PM
Richard Rodgers is clearly one of the top TE's in the NFL based on numbers.............shhhhh.......doesn't matter who the QB is

Rob Gronkowski is clearly one of the top TE's in the NFL based on numbers.............shhhhh.......doesn't matter who the QB is

Bretsky
02-23-2016, 06:34 AM
Rob Gronkowski is clearly one of the top TE's in the NFL based on numbers.............shhhhh.......doesn't matter who the QB is

And Richard Rodgers has elite talent and will be expected to do this year after year regardless of the QB so we don't need any help there because Rodgers is better on paper than nearly everybody else

mraynrand
02-23-2016, 07:24 AM
And Richard Rodgers has elite talent and will be expected to do this year after year regardless of the QB so we don't need any help there because Rodgers is better on paper than nearly everybody else

I don't think Rodgers has elite talent, but his numbers might stay high, because of A. Rodgers, the offense, and he is serviceable. Also could dip this year with more weapons back from IR.

Patler
02-23-2016, 08:31 AM

The first question is whether Cook, who has played in a number of situations and has not established himself as a go-to guy in seven seasons in any of those situations, will suddenly blossom in his eighth season in yet another situation.

The second question is whether Richard Rodgers, who has shown improvement in his two seasons, can show still further improvement in his third and subsequent seasons in view of his rather limited athleticism.

Rodgers will never achieve a level of performance that a player with Cook's abilities could achieve, but I'm not sure Cook will ever approach that level of performance either. Athletic ability as tested at the Combine is just potential, and many players never approach the performance level that seems possible from their potential. Others achieve more.

I don't pretend to know anything at all about Cook. After all, how many times have most of us actually seen him play? But, I wonder why a guy of his athletic abilities has started only 42 games in seven seasons? Why hasn't he established himself as a player of more significance among the TEs/WRs of the rosters he has been on? The QB is irrelevant to that. Certainly the QB can influence his stats; however, a talented TE is often the limited QB's best friend and go to guy, and Cook hasn't seemed to ever fill that role.

Would I ever consider signing Cook? Sure, but not for a significant contract. Just too much risk, as there have been many players of immense athletic talent (potential) who have accomplished very little in their careers. It has nothing to do with thinking Richard Rodgers is elite or ever can be. For Rodgers, its a question of simply being productive, adequate.

woodbuck27
02-23-2016, 10:45 PM

Rams released MLB James Laurinaitis.

"It's a sad but necessary end to Laurinaitis' seven-year tenure with the Rams.

The 29-year-old watched his play fall off a cliff in 2015, earning PFF's second-worst inside linebacker grade out of 60 qualifiers. Cutting Laurinaitis saves the Rams almost $6 million in cap space." Feb 19 - 3:25 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5220/james-laurinaitis

3irty1
02-24-2016, 09:50 AM
I expect DickRod to be serviceable but TE is definitely a position of need. That said its just a TE. If TT were to open his wallet I'd rather get a WR or even another quality RB to bulletproof those units for what a starting TE would cost.

Bretsky
02-24-2016, 09:19 PM
I don't think Rodgers has elite talent, but his numbers might stay high, because of A. Rodgers, the offense, and he is serviceable. .

You have made my point; perhaps getting a guy with a much higher level of talent.........partly because of AROD........would really excel and improve this offense

woodbuck27
02-24-2016, 10:14 PM
I expect DickRod to be serviceable but TE is definitely a position of need. That said its just a TE. If TT were to open his wallet I'd rather get a WR or even another quality RB to bulletproof those units for what a starting TE would cost.

I agree.

I want TT to go after a quality RB that can scoot. I also want a WR that can go deep to compliment Jordy Nelson.

TT will be 'in LOVE' with his pick of Richard Rodgers and milk the aftermath of his Hail Mary Catch for at least another season.If you mentioned an upgrade at TE to him he's look at you as if you had two heads. :cnf:

Bretsky
02-24-2016, 11:39 PM
Fleener or Green could be helpful FA pickups, as could the TE stud of the draft

HarveyWallbangers
02-25-2016, 01:09 PM
People see Cook's athleticism and expect more from him, but he's usually good for 45-50 catches and he's averaged almost 13 yards/catch in his career. He is a field stretcher and somebody that other teams have to account. (I don't think other teams worry about Rodgers one bit.) You also have to remember who has been throwing to him. I don't think he's had even a decent QB in any year he's been in the league. Seven years and not one decent QB. He's had the likes of Locker and Foles throwing to him (or worse, their backups) in run-oriented schemes.

Patler
02-25-2016, 06:29 PM
People see Cook's athleticism and expect more from him, but he's usually good for 45-50 catches and he's averaged almost 13 yards/catch in his career. He is a field stretcher and somebody that other teams have to account. (I don't think other teams worry about Rodgers one bit.) You also have to remember who has been throwing to him. I don't think he's had even a decent QB in any year he's been in the league. Seven years and not one decent QB. He's had the likes of Locker and Foles throwing to him (or worse, their backups) in run-oriented schemes.

Yet the Rams released him (along with the others), and now reportedly have $60+ M in cap space for 2016. Even if he isn't worth the $7M he was scheduled to make ($8.3 cap hit), they get nothing for the $2.6M he will count in dead money. If he really influences defenses, it would seem to have been worth it to keep him another year and get along with $55M in cap space. Now days, $7M in new money isn't a lot for a player who makes a difference.

KYPack
02-25-2016, 09:49 PM
One of my big weakness as an observer of NFL football is my tendency to favor players that are real studs or have big games when I actually see the game. I had that experience last fall. The Bengals played the Rams in Cincy. My seats are behind the visiting teams bench. The Rams have quite a few stud players on their roster. None more impressive than Jared Cook. When the Rams came to the sideline, everyone commented "Looka that sumbitch".

He's 6'5" 255 and yoked. One of the more physically imposing TE's in the league, like seeing megatron for the first time. The game was a dud, the Bengals receivers ate up the St LOO defense, Cincy 31 Rams 7. But Cook was very impressive. The Bengals backline couldn't handle Cook. He took a little seam route about 25 yards, running Bengal safeties the f over, man. Very impressive, but 4 grabs for no TD's was his bottom line. I definitely blame QB Nick Foles for Cook's lack of production. Several times, Cook was wide open on seam or deep dig routes and Foles would throw a duck to a different (usually covered) WR. Cook can be a devastating blocker. On a couple very effective angle blocks by Cook, the rookie RB Gurley made too wide a cut off the block and gained minimum yardage.

Several of us fans were amazed that Cook was used so poorly.

There is another aspect to Cook that is troubling. When he was ignored on an early 3rd down situation, he merely trotted to the sideline, like he had no cares in the world. Many TE's would be in the young QB's face, telling him to get him the ball. Is Cook a vet that doesn't disrupt the team for personal production? Or is he just a guy drawing his paycheck?

I know he is a hoss and would fit well in say Q's spot. But he would be worth the gamble? That I don't know. He's no kid, he's 28. He's not a" looks like Tarzan plays like Jane" guy. But he is a player that doesn't hit his athletic potential, for whatever reason. In the right spot on a team that uses the TE, I really feel he would yield a huge jump in production. I think the GBP would be that kind of football team. I just couldn't guarantee Cook would deliver.

I felt that Cooks play in that game would have been doubled with a Rodgers, Brees, Brady- type QB tossing him the ball.

I wouldn't be disappointed with a new TE, an ILB, & a punter were added to this next season's roster.

Would Cook be a positive addition to the club? I think so, but can't say for sure.

wist43
02-25-2016, 10:01 PM
As I said, I think a lot of Cook's problems have been his association with Jeff Fisher.

Fisher has been a HC in the league 100 years... be interesting to see how TE's have done historically under him.

wist43
02-25-2016, 10:17 PM
I looked up Jeff Fisher's history with respect to TE production... pretty slim pickins.

His early years he had Frank Wycheck, who was a servicable journeyman. He led the Titans in receiving some years, with between 60-70 catches. Very anemic offenses under Fisher... far too conservative.

Cook's numbers look the best of all the TE's that have played under Fisher... I don't know if Cook could be a beast in another offense, but I definitely think he's better than what we've got. Definitely think offensive philosophy and coaching have held Cook back.

pbmax
02-25-2016, 10:20 PM
As I said, I think a lot of Cook's problems have been his association with Jeff Fisher.

Fisher has been a HC in the league 100 years... be interesting to see how TE's have done historically under him.

See Frank Wycheck. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WychFr00.htm

3 Pro Bowls.

wist43
02-25-2016, 10:48 PM

3 Pro Bowls.

Wycheck was a decent player - never put up monster numbers.

Pro Bowls are relative... Jamies Winston played in the pro bowl this year.

Fisher's offenses have been notoriously pedestrian - and that might be an insult to the term pedestrian.

King Friday
02-25-2016, 10:56 PM

3 Pro Bowls.

Wycheck's Pro Bowl caliber success as a receiving TE was largely due to the fact that those Tennessee teams had NOTHING at WR. In those 3 Pro Bowl seasons, Wycheck led the team in receptions each season...and no one else on the team had more than 65 receptions. Wycheck was less of a weapon and more of the only guy on the team capable of reliably catching the damn ball...and if I remember correctly, the vast majority of his work was within 5-10 yards of the LOS.

Fisher has never actually had a dynamic, field stretching TE with success that I can recall.

wist43
02-25-2016, 11:25 PM
Wycheck's Pro Bowl caliber success as a receiving TE was largely due to the fact that those Tennessee teams had NOTHING at WR. In those 3 Pro Bowl seasons, Wycheck led the team in receptions each season...and no one else on the team had more than 65 receptions. Wycheck was less of a weapon and more of the only guy on the team capable of reliably catching the damn ball...and if I remember correctly, the vast majority of his work was within 5-10 yards of the LOS.

Fisher has never actually had a dynamic, field stretching TE with success that I can recall.

Fisher has never had a dynamic offense in any form... nobody produces much. QB's, RB's, WR's, TE's... Fisher coached teams are an offensive wasteland.

pbmax
02-26-2016, 08:54 AM
I think we are selling Wycheck slightly short. He wasn't a 3rd level injury replacement for a Pro Bowl starter each year. He was 2nd team All Pro in 2000.

He was not deep threat but he was death to defenses on 3rd downs. From 1995-2005, here are the TEs active and their Approximate Value from PFR:

Game Game Misc Misc Misc Misc
Rk From To Draft Tm Lg G GS Yrs PB AP1 AV
1 Tony Gonzalez 1997 2005 1-13 KAN NFL 143 127 9 7 4 81
2 Shannon Sharpe* 1995 2003 7-192 TOT NFL 125 122 9 5 3 75
3 Frank Wycheck 1995 2003 6-160 OTI NFL 137 127 9 3 0 50
4 Wesley Walls 1995 2003 2-56 TOT NFL 128 109 9 5 0 48
5 Ken Dilger 1995 2004 2-48 TOT NFL 156 150 10 1 0 42
6 Marcus Pollard 1995 2005 TOT NFL 162 120 11 0 0 41
7 Freddie Jones 1997 2004 2-45 TOT NFL 123 112 8 0 0 35
8 Ben Coates 1995 2000 5-124 TOT NFL 94 84 6 4 1 32
9 Alge Crumpler 2001 2005 2-35 ATL NFL 78 67 5 3 0 32
10 Kyle Brady 1995 2005 1-9 TOT NFL 167 152 11 0 0 31
11 Antonio Gates 2003 2005 SDG NFL 45 41 3 2 2 30

Gates would obviously be much higher but only his first three years are here.

Smidgeon
02-26-2016, 04:51 PM
One of my big weakness as an observer of NFL football is my tendency to favor players that are real studs or have big games when I actually see the game. I had that experience last fall. The Bengals played the Rams in Cincy. My seats are behind the visiting teams bench. The Rams have quite a few stud players on their roster. None more impressive than Jared Cook. When the Rams came to the sideline, everyone commented "Looka that sumbitch".

He's 6'5" 255 and yoked. One of the more physically imposing TE's in the league, like seeing megatron for the first time. The game was a dud, the Bengals receivers ate up the St LOO defense, Cincy 31 Rams 7. But Cook was very impressive. The Bengals backline couldn't handle Cook. He took a little seam route about 25 yards, running Bengal safeties the f over, man. Very impressive, but 4 grabs for no TD's was his bottom line. I definitely blame QB Nick Foles for Cook's lack of production. Several times, Cook was wide open on seam or deep dig routes and Foles would throw a duck to a different (usually covered) WR. Cook can be a devastating blocker. On a couple very effective angle blocks by Cook, the rookie RB Gurley made too wide a cut off the block and gained minimum yardage.

Several of us fans were amazed that Cook was used so poorly.

There is another aspect to Cook that is troubling. When he was ignored on an early 3rd down situation, he merely trotted to the sideline, like he had no cares in the world. Many TE's would be in the young QB's face, telling him to get him the ball. Is Cook a vet that doesn't disrupt the team for personal production? Or is he just a guy drawing his paycheck?

I know he is a hoss and would fit well in say Q's spot. But he would be worth the gamble? That I don't know. He's no kid, he's 28. He's not a" looks like Tarzan plays like Jane" guy. But he is a player that doesn't hit his athletic potential, for whatever reason. In the right spot on a team that uses the TE, I really feel he would yield a huge jump in production. I think the GBP would be that kind of football team. I just couldn't guarantee Cook would deliver.

I felt that Cooks play in that game would have been doubled with a Rodgers, Brees, Brady- type QB tossing him the ball.

I wouldn't be disappointed with a new TE, an ILB, & a punter were added to this next season's roster.

Would Cook be a positive addition to the club? I think so, but can't say for sure.

Visions of Finley pre-injury running through my head.

woodbuck27
02-26-2016, 09:46 PM
Visions of Finley pre-injury running through my head.

Picking Jared Cook up in FA would be a prudent move by TT but I'll be surprized if he does.

BZnDallas
02-28-2016, 08:54 AM
Picking Jared Cook up in FA would be a prudent move by TT but I'll be surprized if he does.

Depends on the almighty dollar Wood. I'm just hoping one of these TEs fall thru the stupid money free agency crack. Jared Cook, Dwayne Allen (injury history), or even Larry Donnell. All under 30 guys who might be lower budget type. Just see guys like Green or Fleener getting longer deals and bigger money. Actually Cook is probably more big money too.

denverYooper
02-28-2016, 12:17 PM
NM. But he's been a free agent for a week and a half now and there's been little mention of interest in signing him.

pbmax
02-28-2016, 12:52 PM
Vernon Davis!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/28/what-went-wrong-with-vernon-davis-in-denver/

“I think that the coaches kind of go in different directions at different times and how things mix and we could never really get up to speed with him,” Broncos G.M. John Elway told Pro Football Talk on NBCSN at the Scouting Combine. “He did come in late in the year, so whether he didn’t feel comfortable with what we were doing and what we could get him in situations, we tried to get him in situations to be successful. But then again it comes down to making those calls during a game and where he had a chance. So that’s another area we’ll look at, tight end’s a position we have to look at, still very fluid that we feel like we have to get better there.”

So good and talented he must be replaced.

Bretsky
02-28-2016, 07:14 PM
Vernon Davis!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/28/what-went-wrong-with-vernon-davis-in-denver/

So good and talented he must be replaced.

He went to a team with a jello armed QB who also had a TE (who was available to us if we chose to sign him) who ended up producing some.

Just because he rotted with Noodle Arm doesn't mean MM would not have been able to find a way to use his speed.

Bretsky
02-28-2016, 07:15 PM
And I'm not arguing at this point we should have signed him

But Elway takes the flyer on guys. And it paid off

pbmax
02-29-2016, 06:58 AM
Did Osweiler have any better luck with him?

Fact is even though Delanie Walker was out there, there were more busts at FA TE than hits. Risk is much closer to draft than people remember. Cost is much higher. Only advantage is selecting position regardless of record.

Patler
02-29-2016, 08:06 AM
Vernon Davis is a guy people keep making excuses for. For the first three years of his career, he was mediocre at best and a big disappointment for a high 1st round pick. He then had three good years in which he seemed to have arrived. But his success didn't last, and his last four years have included one average to mediocre year, one decent year and two poor ones.

Basically he has had a disappointing career for a high draft pick, except for 3-4 years in 10 total, and he is now 32 years old..

3irty1
02-29-2016, 09:09 AM
I know beggars shouldn't be choosers but Delanie Walker isn't my idea of fixing the TE position. He's an H-back. He would have been nice to have but I'd still have a traditional big target inline TE on my wishlist.

Patler
02-29-2016, 09:21 AM
He went to a team with a jello armed QB who also had a TE (who was available to us if we chose to sign him) who ended up producing some.

Just because he rotted with Noodle Arm doesn't mean MM would not have been able to find a way to use his speed.

As a big target and as a TE he should have been all the more valuable, especially with a smart jello armed Noodle Arm.

smuggler
02-29-2016, 09:56 AM
I'd be down to try a year of Jared Cook. $3mil seem fair to everyone else?

pbmax
02-29-2016, 11:45 AM
As a big target and as a TE he should have been all the more valuable, especially with a smart jello armed Noodle Arm.

Peyton Manning is too busy going Hollywood and filming commercials to get to know his new receivers!

Maybe the problem is that his teammates don't like him because he is gay! He kissed Papa John! Did he kiss FA savior Evan Mathis? NOPE!

He thinks he is smarter than everyone else!

He only cares about his stats which is why he throws everything short!!

Only PEDs have kept him upright for this long, without them he is Jim Sorgi!

Trade him for Joe Thomas! Start Osweiler!

Patler
02-29-2016, 01:16 PM

At that price I wouldn't mind seeing him in GB. That's basically "average" with $155M cap.

pbmax
02-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Seems inflationary for the Packers. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/tight-end/cash/

Team Cash Allocation
RANK TEAM PLAYRS 2016 DOLLARS 2016 CASH %
1 PEagles 3 $13,738,527 9.76%
2 BBills 5 $13,675,000 9.93%
3 Chiefs 4 $13,055,000 11.20%
4 Seahawk 3 $11,121,000 10.20%
5 Titans 5 $10,050,000 10.24%
6 Phins 3 $9,846,000 7.84%
7 Cowboys 3 $8,004,158 7.11%
8 Broncos 5 $7,725,000 5.65%
9 Ravens 5 $7,194,216 6.59%
10 Bears 4 $6,610,000 8.47%
11 NEPats 5 $6,593,750 5.90%
12 Jaguars 2 $6,550,000 6.61%
13 Vikings 2 $6,525,000 5.57%
14 DLions 4 $6,083,558 6.88%
15 Texans 5 $5,460,000 5.83%
16 TBBucs 5 $5,297,721 4.79%
17 Falcons 4 $5,155,375 6.26%
18 LA Rams 2 $5,100,000 6.63%
19 Raiders 3 $5,003,500 6.27%
20 Panthrs 3 $4,700,000 4.63%
21 NYJets 5 $4,435,272 3.90%
22 WashRed 4 $4,271,000 3.16%
23 Bengals 5 $3,506,318 3.29%
24 Browns 4 $3,250,000 2.98%
25 49ers 4 $1,870,797 2.02%
26 Cards 3 $1,835,755 1.62%
27 Packers 3 $1,662,500 1.55%
28 Bolts 3 $1,575,000 1.50%
29 Steeler 2 $1,525,000 1.42%
30 Saints 3 $1,425,000 1.50%
31 Colts 1 $450,000 0.38%
32 Giants 1 $450,000 0.59%

Patler
02-29-2016, 03:09 PM
Seems inflationary for the Packers. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/tight-end/cash/

Team Cash Allocation
RANK TEAM PLAYRS 2016 DOLLARS 2016 CASH %
1 PEagles 3 $13,738,527 9.76%
2 BBills 5 $13,675,000 9.93%
3 Chiefs 4 $13,055,000 11.20%
4 Seahawk 3 $11,121,000 10.20%
5 Titans 5 $10,050,000 10.24%
6 Phins 3 $9,846,000 7.84%
7 Cowboys 3 $8,004,158 7.11%
8 Broncos 5 $7,725,000 5.65%
9 Ravens 5 $7,194,216 6.59%
10 Bears 4 $6,610,000 8.47%
11 NEPats 5 $6,593,750 5.90%
12 Jaguars 2 $6,550,000 6.61%
13 Vikings 2 $6,525,000 5.57%
14 DLions 4 $6,083,558 6.88%
15 Texans 5 $5,460,000 5.83%
16 TBBucs 5 $5,297,721 4.79%
17 Falcons 4 $5,155,375 6.26%
18 LA Rams 2 $5,100,000 6.63%
19 Raiders 3 $5,003,500 6.27%
20 Panthrs 3 $4,700,000 4.63%
21 NYJets 5 $4,435,272 3.90%
22 WashRed 4 $4,271,000 3.16%
23 Bengals 5 $3,506,318 3.29%
24 Browns 4 $3,250,000 2.98%
25 49ers 4 $1,870,797 2.02%
26 Cards 3 $1,835,755 1.62%
27 Packers 3 $1,662,500 1.55%
28 Bolts 3 $1,575,000 1.50%
29 Steeler 2 $1,525,000 1.42%
30 Saints 3 $1,425,000 1.50%
31 Colts 1 $450,000 0.38%
32 Giants 1 $450,000 0.59%

For the position, sure; but that varies radically depending on roster makeup, like when Finley was making $7M/year. For 2016 $3M/yr is not a big salary for a 53 man roster (plus a few) and a cap of $160M+ with carryover.

woodbuck27
02-29-2016, 03:28 PM
Peyton Manning is too busy going Hollywood and filming commercials to get to know his new receivers!

Maybe the problem is that his teammates don't like him because he is gay! He kissed Papa John! Did he kiss FA savior Evan Mathis? NOPE!

He thinks he is smarter than everyone else!

He only cares about his stats which is why he throws everything short!!

Only PEDs have kept him upright for this long, without them he is Jim Sorgi!

Trade him for Joe Thomas! Start Osweiler!Trade Peyton Manning for Joe Thomas.

What a brialliant idea...move that would be for John Elway..

There was tension between BRONCO GM John Elway and Peyton Manning during the season and if he's behind Center again for the Broncos...I'll be very wrong in my analysis that he's gone from Denver.

I'll also be surprized if he retires. He has records yet to break.

His wife likely wants him out of the house as she seems to be very low profile and football. Her husband appears to be obsessed with himself....
and PLEASE I ask that you qualify that statement as I don't really know Peyton Manning except for what I garner (gleem) from a computer screen or the TV programming. On the note of his wife....a very attractive woman.

Peyton gets everything to .... PERFECT. Peyton gets everything to perfect ... Peyton Gets everything to perfect. Peyton gets everything.........

Peyton Manning will be trying to throw for TD's in the 2016 Season and struggle to break all of the records. Peyton may get there for his persistence to be everyone's ALL TIME BEST.

Jhhhheeeesh ! It's hard for some of these Pro's to quit the game they love even in Peyton Manning case that is to obviously the EXACT BEST thing to do. That exact thing that will be highly respected by NFL football fans.

How hard is it to do the RIGHT thing?

We'll soon I expect find out and Peyton Manning.

smuggler
02-29-2016, 06:21 PM
Cook has high upside, we might not even have to guarantee anything, and he was cut so he doesn't factor in to comp picks next year. Seems like a hell of a TT sign.

Patler
02-29-2016, 06:24 PM
Cook has high upside, we might not even have to guarantee anything, and he was cut so he doesn't factor in to comp picks next year. Seems like a hell of a TT sign.

Does an 8th year player still have "upside"?

pbmax
02-29-2016, 06:38 PM
I suppose I could see this work if Cook does one or two things demonstrably well, regardless of QB. If he can get deep into a seam (not theoretically, but on film) and find openings in the middle of a zone, then spending a modest amount on him in a pay as you go contract is fine.

I am not interested in upside, I would be more interested in dimension he can add that he had demonstrated on tape.

Patler
02-29-2016, 06:51 PM
I suppose I could see this work if Cook does one or two things demonstrably well, regardless of QB. If he can get deep into a seam (not theoretically, but on film) and find openings in the middle of a zone, then spending a modest amount on him in a pay as you go contract is fine.

I am not interested in upside, I would be more interested in dimension he can add that he had demonstrated on tape.

Agreed, and they can see that even if he didn't get the ball. At this point, he is what he is.

smuggler
02-29-2016, 08:22 PM
Agreed, and they can see that even if he didn't get the ball. At this point, he is what he is.

And if he's cheap because he's 28, what he is... he is going to be awesome for the price with our QB.

smuggler
02-29-2016, 08:25 PM
I usually side with you on this type of veteran guy, Patler. I just feel like Cook has a perfect storm of factors that might make it happen and make him effective in GB. And it all depends on demand for his services. If he gets competitive offers, forget it. Out of our price range.

Patler
02-29-2016, 11:29 PM
And if he's cheap because he's 28, what he is... he is going to be awesome for the price with our QB.

I usually side with you on this type of veteran guy, Patler. I just feel like Cook has a perfect storm of factors that might make it happen and make him effective in GB. And it all depends on demand for his services. If he gets competitive offers, forget it. Out of our price range.

Actually, I don't disagree with you. I've gone on record above indicating I wouldn't mind if they gave him $3M or so, basically Quarless' money from last year plus another million or so.

Carolina_Packer
03-01-2016, 05:43 AM
I'd be fine with that kind of signing too, however, I think Cook will garner intere$t from a few teams. This might be his last time to cash in, and even though he's a cap casualty, I think he'll still command a bit more than a 1 year deal.

I have a couple of questions. Do cap casualties who are cut prior to the start of free agency have to wait for the free agent signing period to sign with another team?

If a cap casualty is free to sign any time after they are cut and clear waivers, is there any advantage for them to wait for the free agency period?

Bretsky
03-01-2016, 06:56 AM

THIS

My gut says he signs a 3-4 year deal at 4MIL a year.

However

Maybe he doesn't get any biters during TT's Annual Hibernation (first 30 days free agency is open) and TT swoops in for a 1-2 year deal at the above. Worth a shot

woodbuck27
03-01-2016, 12:34 PM
Actually, I don't disagree with you. I've gone on record above indicating I wouldn't mind if they gave him $3M or so, basically Quarless' money from last year plus another million or so.

Yes that would be fair.

We need more at TE and this would be a short term and logical move for TT. The thing is any player that TT does pursue must want to be a Packer. That translates to whether or not we look like true Super Bowl contenders.

That is a hand in hand thing. We're learning that the TT era end isn't far off unless he wobbles. I don't see that in TT. It's time for TT to seal his legacy with a more ALL IN approach.

That approach will no doubt line up with MM's and the Aaron Rodgers led Packer Roster thinking as well.

It would sure make me happy as a wee part of Packer Nation to see TT become suddenly more assertive. Not winning the Super Bowl next se4ason and not going to a more assertive approach is just wrong and TT.

Ted Thompson needs to show some muscle between the ears. He needs to show Pavker Nation he has the real balls it takes to win again ! He needs to see that we're actually falling behind last season's NFCN winning team the Minnesota Vikings. That fact is just unacceptable and TT has to do all he must to reverse that. We leave the 2015 season behind aware that as of last season no NFCN team fears the Packers anymore.

TT needs to change that NOW !

Ted Thompson cannot get there by just drafting and developing and watching the talent he develops hold the Packers to a ransom or failing there ...leaving to bolster another NFL team. In also realize he wants to leaver the Green Bay Packers healthy CAP wise. There's a difficult juggling act there.

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !!

woodbuck27
03-01-2016, 12:47 PM
THIS

My gut says he signs a 3-4 year deal at 4MIL a year.

However

Maybe he doesn't get any biters during TT's Annual Hibernation (first 30 days free agency is open) and TT swoops in for a 1-2 year deal at the above. Worth a shot

We need to see TT active soon into FA. It might not be at the TE position based in some plan to give us the upgrade there we're as Packer fans seeing. TT may believe he'll draft that upgrade. That unless he drafts a TE early is wishful dreaming if that's the case or part of his Master plan and the 2016 sason

Packer Nation deserves to see a change in Ted Thompson. The same Ole same ole is too ....way over too tired. I'm sick of his stumbling out of the gate ways in terms of Free Agency and I hope that Packer Nation is thinking right there as well.

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !!

call_me_ishmael
03-01-2016, 03:23 PM
I think the Packers have a TE signed within 3 days of the start of free agency.

Bretsky
03-01-2016, 09:44 PM
I think the Packers have a TE signed within 3 days of the start of free agency.

But will it be a guy we've ever heard of ? Or some yack who was cut from a CFL practice squad ????

Fritz
03-03-2016, 01:45 PM
But will it be a guy we've ever heard of ? Or some yack who was cut from a CFL practice squad ????

Picky, picky, picky.

Patler
03-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Daugherty has an article about the TE free agent group, with comments from "...a scout for an NFL team who has studied this year’s potential tight ends class."

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2016/03/03/packers-should-seek-tight-end-market/81212004/

Here is his summary about Cook:

Jared Cook (6-5, 254), Rams: Turns 29 in April and was cut by the Rams as part of a salary-cap purge two weeks ago that wiped his $7 million base salary off their books. Had only 39 receptions (12.3-yard average) with no touchdowns last season for a team that had more than its share of quarterback issues. Pro Football Focus had him for the most drops (10) of all tight ends in the league.

Cook was cut, so he’s available for signing now and carries the advantage of not counting against his new team in the compensatory draft pick formula. The former third-round pick ran the 40 in 4.50 seconds at the combine in ’09, but for all that speed he never caught more than 52 passes or five touchdowns in a season. The question is whether the Rams saw him as a fast-declining player..

“I haven’t seen a whole lot of production,” the scout said.

pbmax
07-03-2016, 05:38 PM
He is healthy, if you can trust summations with no quotes.

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sports/professional/north-gwinnett-grad-jared-cook-talks-financial-security-green-bay/article_80205723-fb0d-5d13-9f27-fc05926b56a9.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Cook is coming off foot surgery, but is fully healthy again and looking forward to the opportunity with Green Bay.

The born-and-raised Southerner laughed knowingly when asked about the prospect of playing eight games at Lambeau Field this year.

“It’s going to be different,” Cook said with a grin. “I heard I’ll be good until I reach November, then it’s going to get a little chilly up there. Every time I get in a conversation with someone, that’s the first thing that comes up.

“I’m looking forward to what that windchill feels like. I’m excited though.”

gbgary
12-12-2016, 09:39 AM
lung contusion...should be ok!

lung-contusion-should-be-ok (http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1181530-report-packers-cook-has-lung-contusion-should-be-ok)

Fritz
12-12-2016, 09:41 AM
Okay as in a month from now? Man, what has that guy played, like twenty snaps this year?

gbgary
12-12-2016, 10:23 AM
Okay as in a month from now? Man, what has that guy played, like twenty snaps this year?

ian rapoport posted on twitter they'll hold him out a week as a precaution.

Guiness
12-12-2016, 11:54 AM
lung contusion...should be ok!

lung-contusion-should-be-ok (http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1181530-report-packers-cook-has-lung-contusion-should-be-ok)

was he wearing a freakin' mic pack?

gbgary
12-12-2016, 01:14 PM
was he wearing a freakin' mic pack?

i think he just landed on his back really hard. a bruised lung. internal organ injuries are :shock:

RashanGary
12-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Doctors take things too far. Lung contusion. I've never fucking heard of that. He got the god damned wind knocked out of him. Get up, grasp for that next life sustaining breath until it finally comes and get back out there.

On a completely different note. He looks fast and strong and sure handed. It takes everyone a year or two in this offense. I'd like to see him back. I think he could be a legit threat in year two.

red
12-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Doctors take things too far. Lung contusion. I've never fucking heard of that. He got the god damned wind knocked out of him. Get up, grasp for that next life sustaining breath until it finally comes and get back out there.

exactly what i thought when i heard it

good news that it doesn't sound like he'll miss any time from it

red
12-12-2016, 02:01 PM
ian rapoport posted on twitter they'll hold him out a week as a precaution.

espn said he's expected to play against the bears

Patler
12-12-2016, 02:19 PM
I can't imagine that it will cost too much to resign him.

Fritz
12-12-2016, 02:22 PM

I wouldn't do it too soon. He might sprain his wrist signing the contract.

hoosier
12-12-2016, 02:42 PM

I read it as he is unlikely to die from this. But you never know.

Patler
12-12-2016, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't do it too soon. He might sprain his wrist signing the contract.

Not now, but as soon as the season ends. That way the wrist might recover before training camp.

texaspackerbacker
12-12-2016, 03:28 PM

On a completely different note. He looks fast and strong and sure handed. It takes everyone a year or two in this offense. I'd like to see him back. I think he could be a legit threat in year two.

I wish we could just applaud posts or whatever in here. Wind knocked out of him/play on, that's what I was thinking when I heard lung contusion also.

woodbuck27
12-12-2016, 04:01 PM
I wish we could just applaud posts or whatever in here. Wind knocked out of him/play on, that's what I was thinking when I heard lung contusion also.

This place serves:

:bclap:

red
12-12-2016, 05:28 PM
like saying you have to miss a month of work from "penile trauma" cause you rubbed yourself raw

pbmax
12-12-2016, 05:52 PM
I feel like I now understand why so many deaths happen near home.

Fritz
12-12-2016, 06:36 PM
like saying you have to miss a month of work from "penile trauma" cause you rubbed yourself raw

You say that like it's a bad thing.

gbgary
12-12-2016, 08:41 PM
espn said he's expected to play against the bears

cool if true!!

run pMc
12-12-2016, 08:55 PM

Agree. Until this season he had only missed 3 games in 7 seasons, so it's not like he's Nick Perry. :rs:
He seems like a good #2 TE or change of pace/mismatch guy, but something about him screams "good athlete, meh player" to me. I think they need someone else as their starter...R.Rodgers isn't the answer either.

I wouldn't be against signing him on a do-over/prove-it contract, but they need a long term solution to threaten the middle of the field the way McCarthy always says he wants to..and be able to block.