PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy on Assistant Coach Responsibilities

Patler
02-21-2016, 11:25 AM
Quite clear why Gash did not keep his job. I wonder if he would have stayed if the only issue had been Lacy's conditioning? That with the curfew issue was too much.

FromThe National Football Post

“Everybody’s accountable to their area, and the position coach is ultimately accountable for the performance and the training of their players,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said.“But Eddie Lacy’s conditioning and so forth is something I have great confidence will improve or is improving as we speak, and he’ll learn from his performance last season.”

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/packers-confident-overweight-eddie-lacy-will-lose-weight/

MM mentioned at season end that Richard Rodgers needs to take a bigger step next year. Over the years he has often mentioned that Quarless has the skills to be a productive TE. Obviously didn't think Fontenot was getting the best the TEs had to offer.

Patler
02-21-2016, 02:30 PM
Just had a thought about Lacy's lack of conditioning and weight gain. Should that have been Gash's responsibility, or the strength and conditioning coaches?

pbmax
02-21-2016, 02:43 PM
Answer to question, in order its 1)player, 2)strength and conditioning and 3) coach.

You can't guarantee a player won't eat their way out of the League. But the HC is obviously going to want 2 and 3 to do everything they can to avoid 1 failing. Maybe 2 were meticulous in efforts to reign Lacy in, but 3 was not as accountable.

However, the better answer to the question is to go back to his McCarthy's PC. I was listening to it and he was asked about the coaches and other than players needing to develop, he avoiding discussing why exactly the coaches left, declaring this PC to be about the new coaches only.

He then got a question about Lacy and how his performance dipped in 2015 related to conditioning. This is something McCarthy has already commented about earlier so harder to avoid. Wilde (I think) cleverly tied that comment to how the new coaches would be responsible for Lacy's offseason. M3 admitted its part of the job description, but then seemed to take it out of the realm of their exclusive purview by declaring that he, the HC, could see that Lacy's offseason would be different this year.

So that whole thing might have been why Gash was gone, but I really think he was trying to downplay the tie between coaches and conditioning even with Lacy while at the same time reassuring the faithful that Lacy would not have the same approach to his conditioning this year that he had last.

Whether he did this to save Gash's rep or save his own Assistants lots of questions is hard to know.

I still think fumbles were the bigger issue.

Patler
02-21-2016, 02:48 PM
I still think fumbles were the bigger issue.

Maybe the fumbles were caused by the flabby backing against which the ball was held.

pbmax
02-21-2016, 04:49 PM
Maybe the fumbles were caused by the flabby backing against which the ball was held.

Starks had bad year too. I doubt the weight helped Lacy, but it was an issue for both. I think each had five, didn't they?

Fritz
02-22-2016, 07:00 AM
Yeah, it was weird to go from Edgar Bennett's constant preaching about fumbling, which paid off handsomely, to this year, watching both of them cough up the ball like a 60 year old smoker with flem.

mraynrand
02-22-2016, 08:20 AM
Yeah, it was weird to go from Edgar Bennett's constant preaching about fumbling, which paid off handsomely, to this year, watching both of them cough up the ball like a 60 year old smoker with flem.

60 is pretty old for a running back.

run pMc
02-22-2016, 08:24 PM
I've seen some 60 year olds with better speed than what Lacy showed by the end of the year.