PDA

View Full Version : Mark Murphy Has A Plan For T2's Successor

pbmax
03-01-2016, 10:11 AM
This article says the Packers are set for post-T2 world. However, I think they are again over selling Murphy.

Murphy's only new claim is that he knows when Ted will quit. He agrees that he has an idea when Ted will walk.

Everything else, possible successor, plan, interview list, outside/inside, is guess work.

So when it goes sideways in some weird way, remember you read it here first.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/28308/packers-prepared-for-post-ted-thompson-era-whenever-it-happens

Maxie the Taxi
03-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Harlan?

Carolina_Packer
03-01-2016, 11:21 AM
You'd think Eliot Wolf would be highly considered, however, what if they could get John Schneider to come back from Seattle? He's from WI, right? Not saying everyone wants to come back, but if he did, TT stepping down would be a chance to throw his hat in the ring and return.

woodbuck27
03-01-2016, 12:06 PM
This article says the Packers are set for post-T2 world. However, I think they are again over selling Murphy.

Murphy's only new claim is that he knows when Ted will quit. He agrees that he has an idea when Ted will walk.

Everything else, possible successor, plan, interview list, outside/inside, is guess work.

So when it goes sideways in some weird way, remember you read it here first.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/28308/packers-prepared-for-post-ted-thompson-era-whenever-it-happens

When do most men retire?

It's right here:

"Thompson turned 63 on Jan. 17, the day after the Packers lost to the Arizona Cardinals in the playoffs. He’s under contract through the 2018 season.

When asked if he has an idea how long Thompson will continue, Murphy said, “Yeah, I do.” However, he wouldn’t say whether Thompson would fulfill his contract."

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
03-01-2016, 12:12 PM
You'd think Eliot Wolf would be highly considered, however, what if they could get John Schneider to come back from Seattle? He's from WI, right? Not saying everyone wants to come back, but if he did, TT stepping down would be a chance to throw his hat in the ring and return.

John Schneider is doing great in Seattle. I'd be surprized if he would jump from Seattle to Green Bay given how he's helped as the architect developing that solid NFL Franchise.

GO PACK GO !

Joemailman
03-01-2016, 04:09 PM

Schneider reportedly has an out in his contract that would allow him to leave Seattle to take the Green Bay GM job.

woodbuck27
03-01-2016, 04:58 PM
Schneider reportedly has an out in his contract that would allow him to leave Seattle to take the Green Bay GM job.

I'm pleased to learn that.

Bretsky
03-01-2016, 09:41 PM
Can we just trade TT for Schneider now ?

bobblehead
03-02-2016, 09:19 AM
My plan when t squared retires is to become a Raiders fan.

Patler
03-02-2016, 09:39 AM
Probably intends to name McCarthy GM & Coach. Then, when McCarthy fails in the GM role after a couple years, Murphy can bring in a new GM with a built-in uncomfortable atmosphere between the new GM and the long-tenured head coach; thus, enabling the new GM to fire McCarthy in spite of his past success and hire his own guy he can be comfortable with for years to come.

It worked last time.

Carolina_Packer
03-02-2016, 11:40 AM
Probably intends to name McCarthy GM & Coach. Then, when McCarthy fails in the GM role after a couple years, Murphy can bring in a new GM with a built-in uncomfortable atmosphere between the new GM and the long-tenured head coach; thus, enabling the new GM to fire McCarthy in spite of his past success and hire his own guy he can be comfortable with for years to come.

It worked last time.

As long as short-tenured GM McCarthy doesn't draft a punter in the 3rd round who cannot actually punt and then have to carry two punters on the roster, then I'm good with this move.

mission
03-02-2016, 11:45 AM
I'd love John Schneider!

Joemailman
03-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Was listening to Wilde talk about whether this could possibly be TT's last draft. The conversation turned to Ron Wolf's last draft, the terrible 2001 Jamal Reynolds draft. He said Wolf was the GM in name only then, which has been speculated about before. He said Wolf favored drafting Dan Morgan, but Sherman and the coaches preferred Reynolds. Carolina took Morgan with the next pick. Morgan had a short career due to injuries, but he was very good for 5 years.

BZnDallas
03-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Was listening to Wilde talk about whether this could possibly be TT's last draft. The conversation turned to Ron Wolf's last draft, the terrible 2001 Jamal Reynolds draft. He said Wolf was the GM in name only then, which has been speculated about before. He said Wolf favored drafting Dan Morgan, but Sherman and the coaches preferred Reynolds. Carolina took Morgan with the next pick. Morgan had a short career due to injuries, but he was very good for 5 years.

Damn damn damn, Reynolds instead of Dan Morgan in the first round, and Robert Ferguson instead of Chris Chambers in the second round. Follow that up with Ahmad Carroll instead of Chris Gamble a couple years later. Could have been quite a different team. #thankssherman

3irty1
03-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Call me crazy but I'd like to see Eliot Wolf get the job over bringing back Schneider. Becoming successful and staying successful are two very different things.

Wolf has been uniquely groomed from birth for a gig nobody is ever groomed from birth for. I have a feeling he could take the Ron/Ted style of GM to new heights with a level of intuition the league hasn't seen.

woodbuck27
03-02-2016, 09:04 PM

LBer Dan Morgan's Football Career:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Morgan

woodbuck27
03-02-2016, 09:07 PM
Damn damn damn, Reynolds instead of Dan Morgan in the first round, and Robert Ferguson instead of Chris Chambers in the second round. Follow that up with Ahmad Carroll instead of Chris Gamble a couple years later. Could have been quite a different team. #thankssherman

Chris Chambers Football Career

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Chambers

call_me_ishmael
03-02-2016, 09:31 PM
Call me crazy but I'd like to see Eliot Wolf get the job over bringing back Schneider. Becoming successful and staying successful are two very different things.

Wolf has been uniquely groomed from birth for a gig nobody is ever groomed from birth for. I have a feeling he could take the Ron/Ted style of GM to new heights with a level of intuition the league hasn't seen.

On the other hand, Schneider is a known entity and been very successful. Wolf is an unknown. I just have some strange feeling he is going to flame out. I don't know why.

Patler
03-02-2016, 09:55 PM
On the other hand, Schneider is a known entity and been very successful. Wolf is an unknown. I just have some strange feeling he is going to flame out. I don't know why.

...and on the other, other hand :), Schneider is only the "partial" GM in Seattle, responsible primarily for bringing together the 90 man roster but not the final roster make-up, which Pete Carroll has primary control of. I'm not sure who makes their final decisions on draft day. Remember, it was an odd situation in Seattle, with Pete Carroll being hired first and essentially picking his own GM. It has worked outstandingly well for them, but there is no guarantee Schneider would have the same type of success running the whole show in GB. Especially picking his own HC. Maybe Carroll tempers Schneider, maybe he prods him or maybe he fills a deficiency Schneider might otherwise have.

Or maybe Schneider would be outstanding in GB! :) :)

pbmax
03-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Schneider and M3 are buddies too. The former introduced the latter to his current wife. He might yield a bit more quickly.

I would love to know, not does Murphy have a succession plan in mind, but how has he prepared to select a GM and how he can help him succeed.

Fritz
03-03-2016, 05:39 AM

It worked last time.

Or . . .

Despite the clamor ing for Elliot Wolf and interest other teams show in him, and despite reports out of Seattle that Schneider would dearly love to return to GB, the Packers name Russ Ball the GM. The fans are pissed, but three years later the team wins a SB. However, they don't win another for five years after although they contend annually. Fans become bitter from this terrible fortune.