PDA

View Full Version : Packers sign guard off waivers!

falco
09-03-2006, 02:20 PM
SUNDAY, Sept. 3, 2006, 2:17 p.m.
By Tom Silverstein
Packers claim guard on waivers

With only eight offensive linemen on their roster and 51 players overall, the Green Bay Packers decided to take a look at a young guard to see if he has a future with the team.

The Packers claimed and were awarded 6-foot-2, 330-pound guard Tony Palmer from the St. Louis Rams. Palmer was a seventh-round draft choice from the University of Missouri who saw only limited action during the exhibition season.

It's unclear whether the Packers claimed simply to bring him in for a workout or if they think he's someone that can help them down the road.

"They wouldn't claim him just to bring him in," said Palmer's agent, Peter Schaffer. "He's a great young man with a great family. He has a lot of talent. Six teams wanted to put him on their practice squad. It's an indication the kid has talent."

Though the Rams cut Palmer, they clearly wanted him back on their practice squad and thought of him as someone they could develop. After acquiring veteran guard Adam Goldberg in a trade with Minnesota, they appear to have run into a numbers problem.

"We'd love to have him back," Linehan said Saturday after cutting Palmer. "He's going to develop into, I think, a real fine offensive guard in the NFL."

--------------------

Fritz
09-03-2006, 02:26 PM
TT and the scouts doin' their homework. Cool. I do wonder about his agent, though...if touting his fine family is the best the guy can come up with, he needs to go back to agent school, methinks.

Chubbyhubby
Hope he is good. Now we need another WR?

Bretsky
Thanks for posting Falco

but I was really hoping for a Camp Calico or Willing to Ponder Ponder announement

falco
09-03-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm guessing this guy is gonna be a backup; I can't see them throwing a rookie into the ZBS a few days before the first game.

Tony Oday
09-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Wow great pickup...Cmon SWOMETHING for this year TT!!!! CMON!!!!!!!

Fritz
09-03-2006, 02:31 PM
At least they have a backup now.

I like the names, Bretsky. Especially "Willing To" Ponder.

Bretsky
09-03-2006, 02:38 PM
At least they have a backup now.

I like the names, Bretsky. Especially "Willing To" Ponder.

This move doesn't surprise me; but I hope TT at least attempts to bring in some guys that might be able to help short term as well

ND72
09-03-2006, 02:39 PM
I honestly think that's doubtful.

ND72
09-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Marc Boerigter was cut again...Indy released him.

BallHawk
09-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Marc Boerigter was cut again...Indy released him.

How surprising. :roll: He's out of the NFL for good now.

Fritz
09-03-2006, 02:53 PM
The NFL is crazy. Maybe Major Marinelli will want to see if he's Marine-like enough for Detroit.

Willard
09-03-2006, 03:02 PM
This signing of the unknown guard can't be the only move by TT taday can it? Yawn.....

Fritz
09-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Willard, today he is an unknown guard, but in about 2008 when he's a solid starter you will look back upon this day rather fondly.

Willard
09-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Willard, today he is an unknown guard, but in about 2008 when he's a solid starter you will look back upon this day rather fondly.

Alrighty then, I'm sold. Call the janitor in Canton and tell him/her to make room for a 6'2'' 330 pounder for induction in about 2023 (I'm counting on a 12 year career, and a 1st ballot inductee)!!! :wink: :D :D

Bretsky
09-03-2006, 03:14 PM

Didn't some people in here use the same logic on Will Whittaker :)

Sorry, just showing a bit of cunning sarcasm for those that said WW would develop into a nice player down the road.

Cheers,
B

Tarlam!
09-03-2006, 03:19 PM
B,

I think WW got shafted. Twice. Firstly, he was too raw to start. As far as I know, the HC picks the starters, so that one is on Sherm.

He was then the wrong draft pick, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. The guy was never gonna be able to shuck and jive on the line. NO WAY he is built to ZB or CB.

His 2nd shafting.

I agree, WW will pan out for a different team...

Fritz
09-03-2006, 03:24 PM

Sorry, just showing a bit of cunning sarcasm for those that said WW would develop into a nice player down the road.

Cheers,
B

No, Bretsky, it's what they said about Mike Wahle when he was beginning to be labeled a Ron Wolf bust in Green Bay after his first two years....

Bretsky
09-03-2006, 03:26 PM
B,

I think WW got shafted. Twice. Firstly, he was too raw to start. As far as I know, the HC picks the starters, so that one is on Sherm.

He was then the wrong draft pick, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. The guy was never gonna be able to shuck and jive on the line. NO WAY he is built to ZB or CB.

His 2nd shafting.

I agree, WW will pan out for a different team...

TARLEM,

Will W sucked last year; he was as bad of a starter as their was in the NFL.
I'm not sure he sticks in the NFL. But time will tell if he can develop.

B

Bretsky
09-03-2006, 03:27 PM

Cheers,
B

No, Bretsky, it's what they said about Mike Wahle when he was beginning to be labeled a Ron Wolf bust in Green Bay after his first two years....

As long as you don't try to compare the talent and ability of Wahle to big Will I'll go along with that.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Diamonds in the rough are great, but we need a solid veteran. We already have too many of these types on this team at the interior OL (Spitz, Moll, Colledge, Wells, White, Coston).

Scott Campbell
09-03-2006, 04:15 PM
TT and the scouts doin' their homework. Cool. I do wonder about his agent, though...if touting his fine family is the best the guy can come up with, he needs to go back to agent school, methinks.

Maybe he bought into all the hype about Packer People.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Diamonds in the rough are great, but we need a solid veteran. We already have too many of these types on this team at the interior OL (Spitz, Moll, Colledge, Wells, White, Coston).

Well the pickings are slim. Solid veterans usually don't get cut.

Fritz
09-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Max McGee would have been cut from this team, then. I like Lombardi's attitude - Bart Starr and Max McGee were both Packer People.

ny10804
09-03-2006, 07:05 PM
6'2 330 seems awfully large for a guard, or even a tackle for the matter, in the ZBS...

Fritz
09-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Yeah, this seems the oddest pick up, but who knows? How much film of this guy has any of us seen? Maybe this is a one week tryout kind of thing. Give him a look-see, then get him on the practice squad if he looks promising.