PDA

View Full Version : Are You Optimistic about 2016?

Fritz
03-10-2016, 01:52 PM
I'm not.

Traditionally, I have defended Ted's way of doing business, but I am oddly down on the upcoming version of the team after this opening flurry of free agent signings by other teams. It means we are left with, once again, the hope that some team will cut some player whose career can be revived in Green Bay (Bretsky is hoping for Martellus Bennett and after listening to his arguments I now agree with him), and then the draft.

Somehow, the big announcements that the Packers re-upped Lane Taylor and Justin Perillo just depressed the hell out of me.

We have a QB who had a really pretty mediocre year and to my mind did not lead this team at all. We have a star receiver on the wrong side of 30 coming back from a major injury. We have a tight end who is Bubba Franks version -2.0, a running back who wasn't professional enough to get and stay in shape for football, and a defense that was okay but not good enough to shut the door when it counted most.

This team cannot be favored to win the division, nor should it be. It's a team that looks a little shaky to me.

Somehow, for me, Rodgers's seemingly crappy attitude last year is my overwhelming takeaway from last year. He seemed pissy nearly all the time, and that's got to pollute the well, if his attitude really was reflected in his body language.

This is a team that has a lot to prove. And now we're back to the usual hopes - draft and develop, a surprising rookie contribution, and second and third year guys making miraculous strides.

Anybody want to join the sad party, or can I be convinced it's all better than I think it is?

Patler
03-10-2016, 02:03 PM
It's the second day of the off season. I think I will wait before stepping off the ledge.

That said, as some might recall, I was down on Rodgers all year. I thought he contributed to making a bad situation even worse by performing rather poorly (for him). Then, if he really did have the attitude some suggested, that he made it clear he did not feel some on the roster were "ready" yet to play with him, well....... However, after learning of his knee cleanup just days after the season ended I will take a wait and see attitude with respect to his performance.

3irty1
03-10-2016, 02:21 PM
I'm with you although not for any reason I can rationalize.

On paper Jordy will probably be back, Lacy will probably be in shape, OL will be healthy. Two of the last three drafts all look like home runs which should start paying big. The secondary and pass rush are already good but still seem to be getting better. I don't have much concern about Rodgers, or McCarthy going forward.

But it all seems hollow with the dysfunction of last year. Really what I think it might be is that last year was the first year in a long time that they were so bad that it often failed to entertain.

Fritz
03-10-2016, 03:51 PM
I'm with you although not for any reason I can rationalize.

On paper Jordy will probably be back, Lacy will probably be in shape, OL will be healthy. Two of the last three drafts all look like home runs which should start paying big. The secondary and pass rush are already good but still seem to be getting better. I don't have much concern about Rodgers, or McCarthy going forward.

But it all seems hollow with the dysfunction of last year. Really what I think it might be is that last year was the first year in a long time that they were so bad that it often failed to entertain.

3irty, you absolutely nailed it with the word "dysfunction." That's what it is; that's why I feel down about it all - it wasn't something, last season, that could be attributed simply to injuries or bad luck. It all got dysfunctional, unhealthy, sick.

And I don't think a bunch of rookies are gonna fix that.

Joemailman
03-10-2016, 04:09 PM
I'm optimistic. I think a lot of the dysfunction was caused by MM making big changes in the delegation of responsibilities on the offensive coaching staff. That has been addressed, and MM has said he will have more control of the offense than he's had in a while. That's a good thing. The injuries weren't just Jordy. 4 WR's, including Jordy missed a total of 36 games. I expect Lacy to now be serious about being in decent shape, now that he's seen what being out of shape did to him.

With all that went wrong last year, this team was 1 Sam Shields "shouda been a pick 6" from being in the NFC Title Game. By the time the season starts, this team will be the favorite to win the NFCN, and they should be.

Carolina_Packer
03-10-2016, 04:35 PM
I'm optimistic. I think a lot of the dysfunction was caused by MM making big changes in the delegation of responsibilities on the offensive coaching staff. That has been addressed, and MM has said he will have more control of the offense than he's had in a while. That's a good thing. The injuries weren't just Jordy. 4 WR's, including Jordy missed a total of 36 games. I expect Lacy to now be serious about being in decent shape, now that he's seen what being out of shape did to him.

With all that went wrong last year, this team was 1 Sam Shields "shouda been a pick 6" from being in the NFC Title Game. By the time the season starts, this team will be the favorite to win the NFCN, and they should be.

I second this sentiment.

Fairly good health to starters/contributors + wins=less dysfunction

We're all accustomed to TT's MO. That said, it's the 2nd day of free agency. I hope they can find a contributor who can match up talent/cap-wise with their need. I'd be down for Bennett. He's got some attitude to go with physicality. I think they will build the team their way and there's nothing I can do about it, but watch it unfold.

BZnDallas
03-10-2016, 05:16 PM
My glass as of right now is just half. I dont know if its empty or full. I guess that sounds more empty, but I'm willing to sit and wait. Trevathan (sp?) would have been really nice. Maybe one or two others would have been good aswell. But we dont have many holes. If and I do mean a big IF TT can draft a field stretching TE and an ILB, we really only need depth the rest of the way. Its still day 2 of FA and there are still a few TEs worth looking into (or trading for, Bennett?). TT can still make a splash, so I guess I'll just wait with my glass half.

King Friday
03-10-2016, 06:26 PM
I'm quite optimistic.

1. Our WRs are not going to go through the titanic level of injuries they had to deal with in 2015. The only guys healthy by the end of the year were practice squad players at the start. While I do not expect Nelson to come back and play like he did prior to the injury, he's still a guy very capable of 70 catches and 1200 yards. Cobb will benefit greatly from having Nelson back and not having to deal with bracket coverage on every play. Adams is a complete question mark, but at least we know 2016 is the make or break season for him. If he's going to put it together, it has to be next season. The kids like Montgomery, Janis and Abby have each shown flashes, and you know Ted will draft someone else to PUSH the group.

2. Rodgers played with a depleted group of WRs, a fat ass RB who preferred strip clubs to prep time, and an OL that often was playing at 60% due to nagging injuries. He still put up numbers that 90% of NFL QBs would take and piss their pants in glee. I expect Rodgers will be back to an MVP caliber level of performance in 2016.

3. No one else in the NFC North is worth a damn. Yeah, I said it. The Vikings ain't going to repeat their 2015 success. Bridgewater is not an elite QB. AP can only go so much longer. They have a tougher first place schedule to deal with. Their organization is the one dumb enough to locate their brand new stadium on CHICAGO Avenue and not figure that out BEFORE now. Yep...that's a team that strikes fear into me. The Bears? The Lions? Green Bay isn't going to lose to those teams in Lambeau next season.

4. Free agency isn't where Ted brings the serious funk...we have weeks to go before Ted starts adding more talent to the roster that doesn't cost $10M per year. Ted had a very nice draft last year. He damn well knows we need an upgrade at TE and LB, and he will be sure to address that this season. The NYG is getting all the love today...but when they finish 6-10 next year, just remember how much that love in March really did for them.

run pMc
03-10-2016, 06:59 PM
The first week of free agency is kind of a helpless time, because it feels like other teams are making moves to improve their rosters while TT watches from the sidelines.
Bears land Trevathan; Vikings sign Alex Boone and make a few other moves; the Lolions pay Marvin Jones to be a #1 wideout, which most people do not think he is. Free agency is when teams overpay for production...I keep having to tell myself that.

That said, a division crown is likely but definitely not a given. Vikings still have some questions on offense, but Zimmer is building a good defense. Bears will be better in year 2 under Fox, and the Lions...suck. The Packers have a good roster and a healthy, still in his prime Rodgers should be enough to be very competitive, in the NFCN and the league in general. I hope Rodgers can fix his accuracy issues; maybe McCarthy spending less time on D and ST will help, as will taking WR coaching away from Van Pelt.

Striker
03-10-2016, 07:24 PM
The first week of free agency is kind of a helpless time, because it feels like other teams are making moves to improve their rosters while TT watches from the sidelines.
Bears land Trevathan; Vikings sign Alex Boone and make a few other moves; the Lolions pay Marvin Jones to be a #1 wideout, which most people do not think he is. Free agency is when teams overpay for production...I keep having to tell myself that.

That said, a division crown is likely but definitely not a given. Vikings still have some questions on offense, but Zimmer is building a good defense. Bears will be better in year 2 under Fox, and the Lions...suck. The Packers have a good roster and a healthy, still in his prime Rodgers should be enough to be very competitive, in the NFCN and the league in general. I hope Rodgers can fix his accuracy issues; maybe McCarthy spending less time on D and ST will help, as will taking WR coaching away from Van Pelt.

The Bears did lose Gase...so Cutler gets another OC. That can always yield interesting results.

Rutnstrut
03-10-2016, 08:07 PM
I'm quite optimistic.

1. Our WRs are not going to go through the titanic level of injuries they had to deal with in 2015. The only guys healthy by the end of the year were practice squad players at the start. While I do not expect Nelson to come back and play like he did prior to the injury, he's still a guy very capable of 70 catches and 1200 yards. Cobb will benefit greatly from having Nelson back and not having to deal with bracket coverage on every play. Adams is a complete question mark, but at least we know 2016 is the make or break season for him. If he's going to put it together, it has to be next season. The kids like Montgomery, Janis and Abby have each shown flashes, and you know Ted will draft someone else to PUSH the group.

2. Rodgers played with a depleted group of WRs, a fat ass RB who preferred strip clubs to prep time, and an OL that often was playing at 60% due to nagging injuries. He still put up numbers that 90% of NFL QBs would take and piss their pants in glee. I expect Rodgers will be back to an MVP caliber level of performance in 2016.

3. No one else in the NFC North is worth a damn. Yeah, I said it. The Vikings ain't going to repeat their 2015 success. Bridgewater is not an elite QB. AP can only go so much longer. They have a tougher first place schedule to deal with. Their organization is the one dumb enough to locate their brand new stadium on CHICAGO Avenue and not figure that out BEFORE now. Yep...that's a team that strikes fear into me. The Bears? The Lions? Green Bay isn't going to lose to those teams in Lambeau next season.

4. Free agency isn't where Ted brings the serious funk...we have weeks to go before Ted starts adding more talent to the roster that doesn't cost $10M per year. Ted had a very nice draft last year. He damn well knows we need an upgrade at TE and LB, and he will be sure to address that this season. The NYG is getting all the love today...but when they finish 6-10 next year, just remember how much that love in March really did for them.

I think you are wrong about the Vikings, they are a pretty good team and have great coaching.

gbgary
03-10-2016, 10:10 PM
same core players, another group of new inexperienced players (thus keeping us one of the youngest teams in the nfl), loss of some experienced players that know our system, and late round draft picks, equals another 10-12 win team that will make the playoffs but not the superbowl. meh!

maybe i'm just getting old.

Bretsky
03-10-2016, 10:32 PM
I think we win the division and make the playoffs. I think AROD bounces back with Jordy and Montgomery returning.

texaspackerbacker
03-10-2016, 11:02 PM
I'm always optimistic. Whether it's more or less this season I'm still undecided. I've criticized Ted Thompson in the past, and again this year, he has basically sat out free agency. However, as I scan the list of free agents signing with other teams and what they signed for, I really can't say I wish we had gotten any of them. Some people praise Trevathan, but he really doesn't seem special enough to justify big money.

The draft will make optimism or pessimism more clear; Who we sign and more importantly do not sign among our own free agents (Raji NO!!) will be a factor; The biggest thing, though, will be generally how the talent we have gets used, and we won't know that until at least the preseason. A large part of recent problems have been, IMO, because young talent has been wasted in favor of a seniority system. Hell yeah, I'm talking about Janis! but also Elliot and several others who should have been developed quicker and better.

I'm pretty sure Aaron Rodgers will come back strong, but there too, optimism depends on whether they get back to a strongly pass first scheme or whether they persist in wasting downs with the run first foolishness.

Pugger
03-10-2016, 11:27 PM

Having a beat up O line didn't help either. I thought our defense played pretty well last year outside of a couple of plays in AZ...

Fritz
03-11-2016, 07:50 AM
same core players, another group of new inexperienced players (thus keeping us one of the youngest teams in the nfl), loss of some experienced players that know our system, and late round draft picks, equals another 10-12 win team that will make the playoffs but not the superbowl. meh!

maybe i'm just getting old.

It's funny that someone else in this very thread posted that they didn't like the Packers heavily favoring the vets, keeping young talent on the bench. I think it was TPB.

So which is it?

My own sense is that a few years ago we were bitching that to run Capers's system properly you need veterans, but Ted was sabotaging it all by this reliance on raw kids - but I see Ted now re-signing more defensive vets. Guion back, Perry back, and maybe either Neal or Raji (I'd like to know why TPB has no desire for Raji to come back), so now Capers has vets who know the system.

pbmax
03-11-2016, 08:57 AM
They need solid backup options at guard and tackle. They need to sign a backup running back. And they need to find a new starter at inside linebacker.

Of these needs, the only one that concerns me is finding a starter at ILB, I suspect they like Ryan. Ted will have four new offensive tackles from Poughkeepsie by the time camp starts. The backup guard and running back were probably on the roster last year.

The tight end in this offense, while I think it would help Rodgers immensely, is not a necessity for this offense to function well.

So I am almost as optimistic as ever, the only caveat is the dysfunction on offense last year. If it was the changing the coaches roles, they will be fine.

texaspackerbacker
03-11-2016, 09:01 AM
He sorta said the same thing I said - going too much with "core players" and being slow to develop young talent. Hell, quite a few of those late round picks have been better than you'd expect according to where they were drafted.

I like Capers' system - with the personnel we have on D, we'd be screwed without it. We just can't line up and stop teams without the trickery. I remember literally decades of bland seldom blitzing D - going all the way back to Lombardi, when we actually had the personnel to win that way. That's why I like the Capers stuff.

As for Raji, I've just seen him pushed around too much. When he was drafted, I had visions of a dominant Vince Wilfork type guy in the D Line. He ain't that, not even close. He has been outplayed by basically every D Lineman competing with him even though all were lower picks or even FAs - Daniels, Boyd, Pennell, Guion, etc., and other than Daniels, none of those others has been anything special. Am I really the only one seeing that?

RonWolfGOAT
03-11-2016, 09:33 AM
10 to 12 wins, 1st or 2nd round playoff exist.

We have seen if every year, why would this year be any different?

Sure the offense will be less injured, but maybe this year it will be another position? That's just the nature of the NFL.

And when someone inevitably does get injured, Bum Fuck McGee from Nowhere State who is undersized but plays hard will take his place.

We won't sign an ILB, we won't sign a TE. We'll hear reports in camp about "backman turning heads at TE" and "barrington is looking better than he did before his injury." etc etc Same shit different year.

Striker
03-11-2016, 09:47 AM
I think you are wrong about the Vikings, they are a pretty good team and have great coaching.

Defensive coaching is great, though you never quite know what a Norv Turner offense will do.

AP is a year older and I think Bridgewater may be around his ceiling. So they'll get as far as their D and health will take them.

Striker
03-11-2016, 09:58 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic. The injuries mounted everywhere, two of the most important players on the team crashed to earth, and the rookies played well.

If Rodgers and Lacy bounce back it'll do a lot to help the offense, which truly was the weakest part of the team last season. Plus with dedicated position coaches again (what a concept) one would assume both WRs and TEs will bounce back as well.

George Cumby
03-11-2016, 11:13 AM
And when someone inevitably does get injured, Bum Fuck McGee from Nowhere State who is undersized but plays hard will take his place.

The proper term is "Barney Fuckdoggle". Try to keep up you ignorant worm.

Cheesehead Craig
03-11-2016, 12:29 PM
On the optimism scale of 1-12, I'm about an 8 right now. If TT can hit the draft like last year, and Jordy shows to be his usual self, I'll go higher.

That said, the defense will still give me concerns, due to Capers. So it's hard for me to buy into that they will be as good as they were last year.

pbmax
03-11-2016, 12:36 PM
1-12?