PDA

View Full Version : Packers Sign Nick Perry

Joemailman
03-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Reportedly 1 year for 5 million. No word on guaranteed money. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/371740411.html

KYPack
03-10-2016, 07:09 PM
On a 1 year deal, it's all pretty much guaranteed. Ya can't imagine the guy getting cut, fer instance.

Bretsky
03-10-2016, 10:34 PM
Not a bad idea; I still don't think GB knows what they have with this guy.

RonWolfGOAT
03-10-2016, 11:22 PM
Not a bad idea; I still don't think GB knows what they have with this guy.

Ted has to make it seem like his first round picks are worth a damn

Fritz
03-11-2016, 07:52 AM
Oh, right. Ted only wants to protect his reputation.

I think it's a great deal. Packers get flexibility and Perry gets a one-year audition to try to get that big contract. I like it.

KYPack
03-11-2016, 07:54 AM
Oh, right. Ted only wants to protect his reputation.

I think it's a great deal. Packers get flexibility and Perry gets a one-year audition to try to get that big contract. I like it.

The greatest incentive clause evah made, baby.

Patler
03-11-2016, 08:47 AM
Perry...was receiving interest around the NFL but apparently wanted to stay with the Packers and was willing to settle on a short-term deal.

So much for the argument that he didn't want to play in a 3-4 and would look for a landing spot as a DE.

pbmax
03-11-2016, 08:59 AM
Contract drive successful. Everyone is welcome.

Only Mike Neal is left.

pbmax
03-11-2016, 08:59 AM
So much for the argument that he didn't want to play in a 3-4 and would look for a landing spot as a DE.

There are a lot of threads that I need to bump.

pbmax
03-11-2016, 09:00 AM

Of course, he's never let one go after his rookie deal. :roll:

Guiness
03-11-2016, 09:10 AM
This will be his 5th year, right? The Pack declined to pick up the 5th year team option, and signed him back for a lower amount.

I think he played quite well and is an ascending player. This seems like a good deal for both sides, simple deal that doesn't take much negotiating; Pack retains him for another year and can negotiate an extension if they decide they like him. Perry doesn't get locked into a long contract that could be lower than he deserves because it took him a while to adjust and was hampered by some injuries. After missing time the first two seasons, he has played in 15 games the last 2. He also recorded as many sacks this post-season as he did during the regular season!

3irty1
03-11-2016, 09:18 AM
I wish we'd managed to get more than a rental although back to back contract years are nice.

Perry can still be as good as he wants to be.*

*if healthy

RonWolfGOAT
03-11-2016, 09:25 AM
Of course, he's never let one go after his rookie deal. :roll:

Sherrod and Harrell are the only ones who were let go after their rookie deal.

Striker
03-11-2016, 09:34 AM
This will be his 5th year, right? The Pack declined to pick up the 5th year team option, and signed him back for a lower amount.

I think he played quite well and is an ascending player. This seems like a good deal for both sides, simple deal that doesn't take much negotiating; Pack retains him for another year and can negotiate an extension if they decide they like him. Perry doesn't get locked into a long contract that could be lower than he deserves because it took him a while to adjust and was hampered by some injuries. After missing time the first two seasons, he has played in 15 games the last 2. He also recorded as many sacks this post-season as he did during the regular season!

He also graded out as the best run defender on the edge...which is likely his biggest value to the team.

Deputy Nutz
03-11-2016, 10:22 AM
Are the Packers going to a 4-3 and using him as a defensive end? Because he is a terrible linebacker

HarveyWallbangers
03-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Sherrod and Harrell are the only ones who were let go after their rookie deal.

Besides Sherrod and Harrell, which of his 1st round picks/1st pick would you have let go?

2005 Aaron Rodgers
2006 A.J. Hawk
2008 Jordy Nelson (2nd round pick; top pick because he traded out of 1st round)
2009 B.J. Raji, Clay Matthews
2010 Bryan Bulaga

This take is just silly.

Fritz
03-11-2016, 01:28 PM
It wasn't a thoughtful take, was it?

Pugger
03-11-2016, 02:17 PM
I wish we'd managed to get more than a rental although back to back contract years are nice.

Perry can still be as good as he wants to be.*

*if healthy

Yup, this is his issue. If he can stay healthy this year this is a very good signing. *fingers crossed*

bobblehead
03-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Besides Sherrod and Harrell, which of his 1st round picks/1st pick would you have let go?

2005 Aaron Rodgers
2006 A.J. Hawk
2010 Bryan Bulaga

This take is just silly.

NO way would i have locked Raji up to a long term deal after his rookie contract was up...wait...what

RonWolfGOAT
03-11-2016, 03:36 PM

2005 Aaron Rodgers
2006 A.J. Hawk
2010 Bryan Bulaga

This take is just silly.

AJ Hawk
Perhaps Raji
Next year: D Jones

ThunderDan
03-11-2016, 10:53 PM
AJ Hawk
Perhaps Raji

Yes, because you don't resign your LB who averages 100 tackles a year.

Bossman641
03-12-2016, 10:21 AM
Glad to have Perry back. Please please please stay healthy

KYPack
03-12-2016, 10:25 AM
Are the Packers going to a 4-3 and using him as a defensive end? Because he is a terrible linebacker

He's a situation substitution guy. A nightmare for offenses on 3rd down when he can just fold back his ears and go. He isn't a 3 down guy, he can't cover, and never will be a bookend OLB opposite Clay. But when used properly, in pass rush, he'll run right thru guys. Worth 5 mil? Yep. A long termer, I doubt it, but maybe he stays awhile.

Patler
03-12-2016, 02:09 PM

AJ Hawk
Perhaps Raji

Signing Raji to a one year deal without a lot guaranteed after he spent a week or so as a free agent wasn't much different than letting him go. Essentially, they gave him one year and a change in position to re-prove his value. The torn biceps short circuited that plan, so they brought him back even cheaper in 2015.

Hawk would have had to been let go after 2010. Would that have been wise? He had a pretty good year that year, and was credited by many members of the defense for keeping the defense together as they lost 7 returning veterans from 2009 as well as rookies Burnett and Neal all went to I.R. As you might recall, the Packers actually did cut Hawk after 2010, but immediately resigned him as part of a new deal to get around a huge roster bonus in his 6 year rookie contract. At the time, Hawk clearly need to be brought back, although I was a bit surprised at the size of the new deal. But even that was reduced drastically three years later. Letting Hawk go after 2010 would not have been wise.

As for Jones, I think it is unwise to decide a year ahead of time that you will release a first round pick who is only 25, and had a much better 3rd year than the previous two when injuries kept getting in the way. I wouldn't be proposing a long term extension, but I would certainly wait until well into 2016 before deciding an approach for 2017.

pbmax
03-27-2016, 10:07 AM
Nick Perry, laughing at people who doubted pbmax and the player's dedication to being a 3-4 OLB:

"I'm just thrilled to get Nick back," McCarthy said. "We all know how his first four years went and this was his first year he played through a full season. This will be his first time to go through an off-season program. He's always been rehabbing (an injury).

"He's excited about it. He's been at the facility the whole time, too. I look for Nick to be an impactful player for us on defense. His pass rush opportunities vs. his production was very high. He played extremely well in the Washington game against an outstanding player (left tackle Trent Williams). His run defense was very good."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/mike-mccarthy-wants-to-boost-pass-rush-get-more-sacks-b99692364z1-373141741.html

Bretsky
03-27-2016, 07:16 PM
Nick Perry, laughing at people who doubted pbmax and the player's dedication to being a 3-4 OLB:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/mike-mccarthy-wants-to-boost-pass-rush-get-more-sacks-b99692364z1-373141741.html

Are you seriously using coaches hype talk to validate a point. Odds are if teams had real interest somebody would have offered more money for more years.

What would you expect MM to say ?

mraynrand
03-27-2016, 07:48 PM
Stubby used 'Impactful' Must mean Perry is very good or Stubby needs to move on from using his Advanced Degree Essay Guide when looking for words to describe players.

pbmax
03-27-2016, 08:29 PM
Are you seriously using coaches hype talk to validate a point. Odds are if teams had real interest somebody would have offered more money for more years.

What would you expect MM to say ?

"We are happy to have Dick/Rick/Nick back. We feel he has an important role to play on the team."

Also, I take it as a given that since they gave him $5 mil, he must do something of more than replacement level value. Of course if someone offered more money, he would have left, but that was never the doubters point, was it? The point was the he was miscast as a 3-4 OLB and in fact, did not want to play the position.

There is no way to cast his signing and good play at the end of last year as proof of his unhappiness at OLB.

pbmax
03-27-2016, 08:29 PM
Stubby used 'Impactful' Must mean Perry is very good or Stubby needs to move on from using his Advanced Degree Essay Guide when looking for words to describe players.

Yeah. Here I am relying more on the money they spent on him rather than Neal it seems.

Fritz
03-28-2016, 10:20 AM
I don't see how him re-signing for five million changes anything. He does not want to play OLB, and he is miscast in it. It's just that no one else wanted him, so he was stuck taking that offer and now will continue to silently mope while he is misused.

Even if he signs a five year extension after this season to play for GB, it will not change the fact that he just doesn't want to do it. Heck, if he came out in an interview and proclaimed that he loved playing OLB in Green Bay, I would not believe him.

Facts, schmacts.

pbmax
03-28-2016, 10:26 AM
^ No, please no, no more money, I refuse to consider playing OLB anymore!

George Cumby
03-28-2016, 10:59 AM
I don't see how him re-signing for five million changes anything. He does not want to play OLB, and he is miscast in it. It's just that no one else wanted him, so he was stuck taking that offer and now will continue to silently mope while he is misused.

Even if he signs a five year extension after this season to play for GB, it will not change the fact that he just doesn't want to do it. Heck, if he came out in an interview and proclaimed that he loved playing OLB in Green Bay, I would not believe him.

Facts, schmacts.

Are you being ironic?

Fritz
03-28-2016, 11:22 AM
Are you being ironic?

Tinged with sarcasm.

George Cumby
03-28-2016, 11:23 AM
Gotcha. Took me a couple of reads to get it.

Bretsky
03-28-2016, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=pbmax;879750
There is no way to cast his signing and good play at the end of last year as proof of his unhappiness at OLB.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not; and no way to use it as proof of his happiness either

pbmax
03-28-2016, 07:50 PM

:roll:

Fritz
03-29-2016, 05:12 AM

Happiness is a 5 million dollar deal.

Pugger
03-29-2016, 07:55 AM

Facts, schmacts.

Unless the market for his services stunk why did he resign with us if he hates playing OLB?

George Cumby
03-29-2016, 09:26 AM
:roll:

Your body language leaves something to be desired. Please fix that if you want to show you are one of the leaders on this board.

pbmax
03-29-2016, 10:18 AM
Your body language leaves something to be desired. Please fix that if you want to show you are one of the leaders on this board.

The only group I lead are those opposed to mind reading players :lol:

Part time, I fight against those who then claim that a lack of mind reading powers means their point cannot be proven wrong. :satan:

Patler
03-30-2016, 10:14 PM

But this seems to indicate he likes the OLB spot, and wants to prove himself at it:

When free agent linebacker Nick Perry came to them and suggested a short-term deal that would allow him another chance at proving himself they agreed to it. Originally, Perry told friends, he was going to accept a two-year, $10 million deal, but in the end he and the Packers agreed on one-year, $5 million.

woodbuck27
03-31-2016, 10:16 PM
But this seems to indicate he likes the OLB spot, and wants to prove himself at it:

"When free agent linebacker Nick Perry came to them and suggested a short-term deal that would allow him another chance at proving himself they agreed to it. Originally, Perry told friends, he was going to accept a two-year, $10 million deal, but in the end he and the Packers agreed on one-year, $5 million."

Comment woodbuck27:

I think he should have gone for the two year deal.