PDA

View Full Version : Danny Trevathen "wishes" Green Bay had called him

RonWolfGOAT
03-10-2016, 09:49 PM
way to go ted, don't even contact the top LB on the market

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/28525/danny-trevathan-packers-never-called-but-i-wish-they-would-have

gbgary
03-10-2016, 09:57 PM
yikes!

yetisnowman
03-10-2016, 10:06 PM
This is the kinda stuff that really lends creedence to those in the Anti-Ted camp. It's not that we didn't sign him. It's that the number 1 FA at the pack's number 1 position of need was interested in playing here. And Ted made no effort to even converse with him.

gbgary
03-10-2016, 10:14 PM
haven't you heard...we have horrible cap problems. not!

Bretsky
03-10-2016, 10:26 PM
haven't you heard...we have horrible cap problems. not!

We never come out swinging early; we should just spend the first 7-10 days trying to figure out which guys are still going to be around 3 weeks later.

Bretsky
03-10-2016, 10:29 PM
on another note if you believe he's a rising player what he signed with Chicago was not a bad deal for either. Maybe Ted thinks he's overrated. But I'd pay that much if he's stellar3 down ILB who would allow you to safely move Clay back where he belongs.

I'm sure Torrence Marshall and others will be there in 30 days though

Fritz
03-11-2016, 07:53 AM
He wishes every team had called; it would've upped his value.

RonWolfGOAT
03-11-2016, 07:55 AM

Whatever helps you sleep at night, Ted.

RonWolfGOAT
03-11-2016, 07:56 AM
The amount of mental gymnastics some of you do to defend TT is mind boggling.

Deputy Nutz
03-11-2016, 08:03 AM
This is just terrible

Teamcheez1
03-11-2016, 08:27 AM
This is just terrible

It's terrible that we don't sign any player you want on the team? Or are we to take an offhand quote from a player that he was willing to come here? I guess a good agent would have actually called the team to drum up interest in the player.

Patler
03-11-2016, 08:35 AM
It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I was very much hoping that GB would pursue him.
I have to admit, I never made the connection to Cobb before Trevathen mentioned it. If GB wanted him, they might have had an inside track to get him.

I always laugh at the way the players portray this as a one-way street. "GB never contacted me". They probably did not contact HIM, that's true. However, if his agent is worth his salt, he had some discussions with someone in GB. Agents don't only wait for the team to call if there seems to be a "fit" and the player is interested in the team. If his agent is sitting by the phone waiting for teams to call him, he isn't doing his job. If his agent was doing his job, at some point when Chicago showed real interest, there was some discussion with someone in GB to the effect of, "We think Danny T. is just the guy you need in GB, and he would be interested in looking ito it if you are interested. Chicago looks to be on board for about $X. "

I suspect there was at least an exploratory discussion with the Packers. It probably became clear quickly that they differed significantly in $.

I read only one semi negative analysis of him. Everyone was very positive except one guy who said he is not nearly the complete linebacker some think he is, and that he was made to look a lot better because of those around him on that defense. I'm not suggesting this ne guy is right, but a lot of FAs are never as good as they were in the system that got them the big dollar contract.

pbmax
03-11-2016, 08:38 AM
Every free agent wishes GB would call. It's a winning team and it will end with an increased offer for them no matter which outfit they sign with. And if a statement is something that every free agent would say, it tells us nothing about Danny Trevathan.

Patler
03-11-2016, 08:39 AM
At this time last year, a lot of people were fairly high on the potential of Barrington in the Packers D. Hopefully, we will see their optimism to be justified, because he and Ryan might be it for 2016.

3irty1
03-11-2016, 08:41 AM
I have no problem with taking a pass on Trevathen (or any FA really), but I've always assumed Ted at least picked up the phone to low ball or drive up prices. Then again, if Ted did express enough interest to low ball and news got out but he became a Bear anyways, fans would be just as livid over losing a bidding war to a rival. Heavy lies the crown.

6M per year is low-end starter money for Trevathen. A fair price, and more importantly helps set the price for guys like Jerrell Freeman or Demario Davis.

Joemailman
03-11-2016, 08:43 AM
The fact that he ended up signing with his former coach might lend credence to the argument that he is a "system" player. I was a little surprised that the Bears were able to sign him as quickly as they did for what seems to be reasonable money. That might suggest the demand for him wasn't as high as we had been led to believe. He's a good player, but it seems teams didn't see him as elite.

Joemailman
03-11-2016, 08:52 AM
6M per year is low-end starter money for Trevathen. A fair price, and more importantly helps set the price for guys like Jerrell Freeman or Demario Davis.

It's not low end starter money. His average salary of 6.125M makes him the 11th highest paid ILB, and the 33rd highest paid LB. By the time his contract is over, he'll likely be a bit lower on the list, but it's still puts him in the upper third of starting LB's.

3irty1
03-11-2016, 09:01 AM
It's not low end starter money. His average salary of 6.125M makes him the 11th highest paid ILB, and the 33rd highest paid LB. By the time his contract is over, he'll likely be a bit lower on the list, but it's still puts him in the upper third of starting LB's.

True, but that's not the measure I'd use as it includes players on rookie contacts who aren't making market value. The average NFL player should make 155M/53 = ~3M. Any given roster will have about 20 guys on rookie contracts averaging 800k each for a total of 16M. So for free agency purposes, the average NFL player ought to make about 139/33 = ~4.2M. Only about half of that 33 are starters, so that's how I arrived at calling 6M per year low-end starter money.

KYPack
03-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Danny is a good hand out there on the field. Did we want to replace CMIII as an ILB by paying his replacement top dollar? Probably not. We treat our ILB's as pluggers, they need to be in position and make the plays. We just don't have effective ILB's without Clay in there. The Packers want to get two effective middle guys and move Clay back to a play making spot. Laying out top dollars for a guy like Danny just didn't add up to our financial equation.

The Bears didn't get a second Erlacher, they got Danny Trevathan.

RonWolfGOAT
03-11-2016, 09:06 AM
Plus the cap will continue to increase each year.

Striker
03-11-2016, 09:31 AM

He says with the username RonWolfGOAT while really only participating in posts that rip on the GM.

No axe to grind here folks. Not at all. Or bias either.

Striker
03-11-2016, 09:31 AM
Danny is a good hand out there on the field. Did we want to replace CMIII as an ILB by paying his replacement top dollar? Probably not. We treat our ILB's as pluggers, they need to be in position and make the plays. We just don't have effective ILB's without Clay in there. The Packers want to get two effective middle guys and move Clay back to a play making spot. Laying out top dollars for a guy like Danny just didn't add up to our financial equation.

^^^^

Ding ding ding.

RonWolfGOAT
03-11-2016, 09:34 AM
He says with the username RonWolfGOAT while only participating in posts that rip on the GM.

No axe to grind here folks. Not at all. Or bias either.

A forum is for discussion. In a discussion, you bring your biases.

Striker
03-11-2016, 09:35 AM
This is the kinda stuff that really lends creedence to those in the Anti-Ted camp. It's not that we didn't sign him. It's that the number 1 FA at the pack's number 1 position of need was interested in playing here. And Ted made no effort to even converse with him.

Well, generally the GM won't call a player directly. Russ Ball could have talked to his agent, checked on price, and that was it (during the "legal tampering period" and what not). And Trevathan would be none the wiser.

Striker
03-11-2016, 09:41 AM
A forum is for discussion. In a discussion, you bring your biases.

A discussion only exists when those participating don't cherry pick what they reply to.

Deputy Nutz
03-11-2016, 10:21 AM

You didn't have an effective inside linebacker with Clay. The Packers were smart to move him back outside.

pbmax
03-11-2016, 10:46 AM
You didn't have an effective inside linebacker with Clay. The Packers were smart to move him back outside.

You are still forgetting the opportunity cost. The replacement ILB was far worse than the replacement OLB.

Deputy Nutz
03-11-2016, 01:19 PM
I don't think so. Clay gets double digit sacks on the edge and does a decent job on containing the run seems to tackle better on the edge to. The question, is Nick Perry a better outside linebacker than Sam Barrington is an inside linebacker?

Fritz
03-11-2016, 01:21 PM

It wasn't that difficult.

pbmax
03-11-2016, 01:36 PM
I don't think so. Clay gets double digit sacks on the edge and does a decent job on containing the run seems to tackle better on the edge to. The question, is Nick Perry a better outside linebacker than Sam Barrington is an inside linebacker?

There are two ILBs. Barrington is one. Perry is a better OLB than the next ILB. Has been true since Hawk declined and Bishop got wrecked.

Hell, he might be better than Barrington too.

Perry is a better run defender on the outside than Clay. More reliable and a better edge. Clay can chase from weak side and penetrate. But he guesses wrong and can be fooled (see any 49er game). Perry rarely gets sucked inside and stays in his gap. Matthews can get to more plays, but I am not sure he is a better tackler.

Fritz
03-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Now we can see if Perry has any improvement left in him. My guess is that if he can stay healthy for a full season, we will all be pleasantly surprised.

Pugger
03-11-2016, 02:25 PM
It's terrible that we don't sign any player you want on the team? Or are we to take an offhand quote from a player that he was willing to come here? I guess a good agent would have actually called the team to drum up interest in the player.

Exactly. I would love to know how many other teams besides Chicago were clamoring for his services.

Rutnstrut
03-11-2016, 04:21 PM
I'm just going to put it out there like this. I think this was a major miss by the all knowing TT. I hope I'm wrong and he does something to secure the middle. I will have no problem admitting it if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure I won't have to do that.

gbgary
03-11-2016, 06:56 PM
clay will end up staying in the middle. probably for the best.

gbgary
03-11-2016, 07:08 PM
the fact that tt didn't even pick up the phone for such a glaring need is disturbing.

woodbuck27
03-11-2016, 08:39 PM
Evidently D. T. didn't fit into TT's plan. The thing is did TT have a plan and any viable talent available in FA?

Now I'm assuming that TT does have a plan that includes improving the team and now that doesn't just involve his Draft Class.

We see year after year the same TT and FA. It's now for me way past frustrating. It's now simply sad to observe TT's inactivity. TT's disinterest is just a part of being a member of Packer Nation. He does a great job of managing his part and the CAP. Does he really have any balls or the foresight to have a vision of any decent FA and the contribution that man would have and a positive impact on his team? I don't see that he does. I see his way as that of a care less personality.

It's disturbing to me that TT has the negative attitude to taking a chance and Free Agency we've generally seen during his time as Packer GM. He's got a QB that is considered the best or close to the best in the NFL and what is he doing to ensure Aaron Rodgers greatness?

A top NFL analyst basically echoed the same thoughts yesterday on the NFL Network. Ted Thompson is either lazy, stubborn or lost in terms of something not at all related to having courage.

Mark my words as he operates as the Green Bay Packer GM we will learn of Aaron Rodgers frustration with Ted Thompson. We might even learn that Mike McCarthy is frustrated as well.

If Ted Thompson was sitting at my Poker table he would be easy to bluff. Why!? Because he usually seems to be asleep or not on the ball. If he does have 'a PLAN'. It's too easy to declare that his plan sucks. Does he need CAP space? Does TT have options in terms of any power of persuasion?

Can't Ted Thompson persuade CMIII and Aaron Rodgers to just possibly think about restructuring their enormous contracts.

Didn't Brett Favre Re-structure his contract to help his team hopefully improve?

Now I've read this (LINK below) and still I feel as I expressed above and TT's small 'p' plan and Free Agency:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1650704-here-s-why-thompson-isn-t-spending

GO....... ahhhhh shit !

Bretsky
03-11-2016, 10:47 PM

Not sure Ted calling would up his value

Fritz
03-12-2016, 08:32 AM
Not sure Ted calling would up his value

A division rival who never seems to be interested in these types of free agent calls a guy you've targeted? You wonder if maybe he's going to try to get the guy out from under you. So you up your offer to make sure that not only do you get him, that your division rival does not.

BTW I've come around on Martellus Bennett.

KYPack
03-12-2016, 10:07 AM

He guesses too much at ILB. "Guess" you've seen that, too. He never had a lot of training at the spot and he's catching on that big time QB's will expose an ILB that does try to play the play instead of his reads. Even tho CMIII is still learning the job, he was a better answer at ILB than our other inside boys.

yetisnowman
03-12-2016, 01:03 PM
If Clay is worth 11 million per, Trevathan is definitely worth 6. And it enables Clay to move back where he thrives. Would have been a perfect signing. But hey we will be way under the cap again this year! Gotta save that loot for Bakhtiari!!!!

Striker
03-12-2016, 11:53 PM
If Clay is worth 11 million per, Trevathan is definitely worth 6. And it enables Clay to move back where he thrives. Would have been a perfect signing. But hey we will be way under the cap again this year! Gotta save that loot for Bakhtiari!!!!

And Sitton, Lang, Lacy. Hyde and Tretter if they still want them around.

Lots of big $ FAs. And it would be pretty tough to replace 3/5 of your OL.

Pugger
03-13-2016, 08:43 AM
Trevathen isn't exactly endearing himself to his new teammates by publicly saying he wished their longest rival had called him...

Deputy Nutz
03-14-2016, 09:03 AM
He guesses too much at ILB. "Guess" you've seen that, too. He never had a lot of training at the spot and he's catching on that big time QB's will expose an ILB that does try to play the play instead of his reads. Even tho CMIII is still learning the job, he was a better answer at ILB than our other inside boys.

Clay is athletic and is a runner, he over pursues and shoots gaps to avoid blockers and when it works he looks fantastic because he blows the play up usually behind the line of scrimmage, but 75% of the time he guesses wrong and shits on his responsibility for cut back or holding the point of attack and the defense is violated. It happened way too much to consider him a viable candidate at ILB. It takes a different type of player to play inside in the 3-4. I think Clay would do about as well as Nick Barnett in a 4-3 where the MLB can run sideline to sideline.

Currently McCarthy has already stated that Matthews is going back to the outside. The current starters are going to be Barrington and Ryan. To be honest that isn't that bad. Ryan rebounded from a terrible regular season game against the Cardinals to having his best game of the season in the post season against the very same team. Ryan should add about 10 pounds.

Joemailman
03-14-2016, 05:54 PM
Trevathen isn't exactly endearing himself to his new teammates by publicly saying he wished their longest rival had called him...

The rivalry still means a lot to the fans. I don't think it means nearly as much to the players.

George Cumby
03-14-2016, 07:59 PM
Clay is athletic and is a runner, he over pursues and shoots gaps to avoid blockers and when it works he looks fantastic because he blows the play up usually behind the line of scrimmage, but 75% of the time he guesses wrong and shits on his responsibility for cut back or holding the point of attack and the defense is violated. It happened way too much to consider him a viable candidate at ILB. It takes a different type of player to play inside in the 3-4. I think Clay would do about as well as Nick Barnett in a 4-3 where the MLB can run sideline to sideline.

Currently McCarthy has already stated that Matthews is going back to the outside. The current starters are going to be Barrington and Ryan. To be honest that isn't that bad. Ryan rebounded from a terrible regular season game against the Cardinals to having his best game of the season in the post season against the very same team. Ryan should add about 10 pounds.

I'm still not seeing these instincts some were saying Ryan possessed. I'd love to see them and the ten pounds of muscle in his gluteus, quadies and biceps femoris.

KYPack
03-15-2016, 09:49 AM

He makes mistakes in the middle, but it's a sad commentary on our talent that no one could fill that spot better than CMIII. There is another factor in play here. We are using a race horse to pull a milk wagon. You don't pay a guy OLB money to play the middle. CMIII is basically out of position and we lose the heat he can provide by playing him there.

Another of his strengths we lose is his coverage. He is outstanding when we drop him into coverage at OLB. Capers is pretty clever at sneaking him into pass coverage and this is another plus we need to take advantage of.

Fritz
03-15-2016, 10:52 AM
Well, now the team can take advantage of those skills at OLB, but Ted still has a whole big hole to fill inside. And for my money, Jake Ryan's going to be a JAG. Meh.

Barrington, too, really. A hard hitter who isn't terribly mobile and can't cover anyone?

Ted better be studying up on those ILB's in the draft, and he'd best take a couple of them.