PDA

View Full Version : Practice squad

Homer Jay
09-03-2006, 04:10 PM
By Tom Silverstein

Bigby among practice squad additions

The Green Bay Packers have brought back at least three players they released over the past week, including safety Atari Bigby whose broken hand kept him from vying for a spot on the 53-man roster.

In addition to Bigby, the Packers have agreed on practice squad contracts with tight end Zac Alcorn and wide receiver Calvin Russell, agents for all three players said.

The Packers can have as many as eight players on their practice squad, which is made up of players who have less than a year of experience and have passed through waivers. The Packers haven't announced any of their agreements and it's likely they have others in place.

Bigby broke his hand in the team's intrasquad scrimmage and missed all but the final couple of days of training camp. He underwent surgery to repair the hand and practiced with his hand in a large, cumbersome padded cast.

The Packers kept only three safeties on their active roster and might be stashing Bigby until his hand heals. Bigby was told the injury would take four to six weeks to mend, which means he should be near full strength in a couple of weeks

BallHawk
09-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Glad to see Alcorn on there, and I'm sure GBMichelle is too. :wink:

digitaldean
09-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks Homer Jay!

Hopefully Tollefson will make it onto the practice squad also. He was just starting to come on in the last game.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Tollefson was added to the practice squad also.

HarveyWallbangers
09-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Bill Williamson, of the Denver Post, reports the Green Bay Packers have signed free agent FB Brandon Miree (Broncos) to their practice squad.

BallHawk
09-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Bill Williamson, of the Denver Post, reports the Green Bay Packers have signed free agent FB Brandon Miree (Broncos) to their practice squad.

Anybody know something about this guy?

RashanGary
09-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Tollefson was added to the practice squad also.

good to hear.

CaliforniaCheez
09-04-2006, 03:14 PM
DB's- Dendy and Bigby
WR's- Francies and Russell
DE- Tollefson
TE- Alcorn
OT- Leffew (not Pepe) played at Louisville with Spitz and was an undrafted free agent with Da bears.
FB- Miree(last name) 7th round in 04 by Broncos was placed on IR that year then went to Europe the following spring. Spent 05 on the Bronco practice squad.

Not bad. Alcorn is on by his fingernails because I suspect Humphrey will be cut for the first injury replacement. If Humphrey added to PS unlikely to keep 2 TE's.

SD GB fan
09-04-2006, 04:07 PM
anyone know wat happened to carlton brewster?

BallHawk
09-04-2006, 04:10 PM
anyone know wat happened to carlton brewster?

That's what I'm trying to find out.

CaliforniaCheez
09-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Haven't seen any cuts signed anywhere but Rodgers to a practice squad.

gbgary
09-04-2006, 09:36 PM
PS guys can be plucked by any team at any time, right? we can only save them if we put them on the roster and that means someone else goes, right?

MJZiggy
09-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Yes. The only way to pluck them is to put them on your 53, the only way to protect them is to do the same thing, but if you do, someone else has to go.

gbgary
09-04-2006, 09:43 PM
thanks, that's what i thought. wasn't sure if there was some other little-known rule to go along with it.

pittstang5
09-05-2006, 02:49 PM

Anybody know something about this guy?

Miree - I watched him play his college ball, he was a running back then. I'm not sure if the Pack still thinks he can do that or if they will use him as a FB as Denver had labeled him. I'm excited to see a fellow Pitt Alumni with the Packers, even if it is on the practice squad. I'll be pulling for him to crack the roster.

I don't remember too much about him, but when he was healthy he played pretty good. He's a straight ahead runner and can catch out of the back field. But nothing too spectaular stands out for me. He had a pretty good year in '02 and was injured alot of '03. Being a Pitt fan, Larry Fitzgerald stole the spotlight in '03.

OH MAN! Just remembering Fitzgerald brings me goosebumps.