PDA

View Full Version : Raji/Starks/Neal

Fritz
03-12-2016, 08:34 AM
Okay, these three are left. Which do you hope the Packers sign, and why? Which do you hope they absolutely don't sign, and why?

I hope they sign them all, but short of that, I'd like Raji first, then Starks, then Neal.

With Raji back you can rotate him and Pennel or Guion in the middle, and be freer in the draft to take that special DE instead of another DT or NT.

pbmax
03-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Starks/Raji/Neal in that order.

Would need to find another OLB who can contribute as Neal has become reliable, should he escape.

run pMc
03-12-2016, 11:08 AM
I wonder if they are grooming Datone Jones to be the next Neal. Neal isn't bad but he's pushing 30. I don't know, with Clay, Peppers, and Perry making money, that they'll sign Neal to an Erik Walden contract. Wouldn't be surprised if TT drafts an OLB or brings in a boatload of UDFA to compete for spots. Peppers is on his final year of the contract, and he's more effective on a snap count.
I like Starks as a backup for Lacy, but I won't cry if he signs elsewhere. He's worth trying to bring back on a similar contract to what he signed previously. Could Crockett take his spot, and TT find a speedy 3rd down back?
Raji started off good, got hurt, and then gritted out the year. He's good when healthy, but I'm not sure if he can be. Also, they have Guion and Pennel, so it's not a glaring need. I think they get younger here and with good DL depth in the draft TT goes that route.

Really, none of them are "must" signs, but given the depth I'd say Starks is probably my preference.

texaspackerbacker
03-12-2016, 11:39 AM
My disgust for Raji is well known. He lacks the strength not to get pushed around horribly. I don't want him at any price. As for the rotation thing, the Packers are at their best when no true NT is on the field - passing situations when they go balls to the wall pass rush - Daniels or Datone at the nose. Pennell and Guion are sufficient for run stopping in other situations.

Neal did OK. He is slowly improving. I wouldn't pay him big money; If he can be re-signed cheap, keep him. If the choice was him or Perry, though, I woulda paid Neal. Losing both of them wouldn't have been a tragedy.

Starks is a damn good RB, but I wouldn't sign any RB long term for big money. My choice would be to let Lacy go after his rookie contract, and go with Starks or a similar runner. I doubt the Packers see it that way, though. If some team offers him big money, congratz to Starks - let him go. If we can get him for 1 or 2 years at moderate money, keep him.

Patler
03-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Starks might be the most needed. With Lacy a question mark and not much else on the roster, Starks provides a lot of comfort. He got just $3.25 million total over two years last time. Cap inflation might increase that a little, but I would welcome something similar.

pbmax
03-12-2016, 12:32 PM
I wonder if they are grooming Datone Jones to be the next Neal.

Very good point. Forgot he has been spending time at elephant. Would mean that could slot him at OLB and find another DE in the draft.

HarveyWallbangers
03-12-2016, 12:35 PM
Assuming salaries are similar, I'd go with Raji, Neal, Starks. RBs are easier to find than DL and edge rushers. I thought the DL did pretty well, but there's not a lot of depth, so I'd like to keep that unit and just add to it with one guy in a deep draft at the position. Pennel is out four games.

Patler
03-12-2016, 12:50 PM
Assuming salaries are similar, I'd go with Raji, Neal, Starks. RBs are easier to find than DL and edge rushers. I thought the DL did pretty well, but there's not a lot of depth, so I'd like to keep that unit and just add to it with one guy in a deep draft at the position. Pennel is out four games.

My concern is that the Packers have not had a lot of success finding RBs. I doubt Starks will get $2M/year. For that, I would bring him back.

Raji? I don't trust him anymore. I expect him to breakdown physically at some point in the year, and after that his value is minimal. It's been six years since he made an impact for more than a game or two at a time.

Neal I would bring back, if cheap enough. But, there are only so many snaps to go around. He is what he is at this point. Steady. OK. Not much impact, but he isn't a liability. I preferred Perry over Neal, so I am glad that was taken care of to give him another, hopefully health, year to see if he can be something a little more than Neal has been. Jones might give them two opportunities to improve over what Neal has been.

esoxx
03-12-2016, 06:34 PM

I'm also turned off by the six fumbles Starks had last season. Too many.

Patler
03-12-2016, 07:12 PM
I'm also turned off by the six fumbles Starks had last season. Too many.

No doubt, but before last year his last lost fumble was in 2011. In the five previous season, in 472 touches, he had just 5 fumbles, with one lost. One fumble for every 94 touches is good. Starks fumbles in 2015 seem to be just another of the many things that went very wrong last year. The last four fumbles came at the end of the year, in a four game stretch when he had just 42 touches. Odd.

esoxx
03-12-2016, 07:45 PM
^^^That recent history of fumbling is troubling and likely being used against him in free agency. He's also very pedestrian as a receiver out of the backfield. I think Thompson is wise to let him test the market. This is usually the age when RB's start to decline and maybe his late season form offers a preview of things to come.

King Friday
03-12-2016, 08:32 PM
There is talent at RB in the college ranks...Thompson just needs to stay away from the guys who played primarily in a spread or in some conference out West that doesn't understand what a real running game is.

Personally, I don't see a need to worry about Lacy this season. He is going to work his ass off because he wants to get paid. I'm more worried about the long term RB picture, because I can't see Lacy being a guy who lasts until 30 in this league. That is why I would much prefer Ted to draft a couple RBs to develop and let Starks go.

Raji? Meh. He's basically JAG and you can probably find someone with a better motor. Neal is getting up there in years. I honestly would prefer to not bring any of these guys back.

call_me_ishmael
03-12-2016, 10:50 PM
None are going to be too prohibitively expensive so I'd like to see all of them back for the sake of continuity. All are decent players that I like as Packers.

Feet to the fire, give me Raji, then Neal, then Starks in that order.

woodbuck27
03-13-2016, 03:58 AM
I'll take Neal over Raji and Starks.

Raji gets pushed around too easily. He cannot get it into drive.

Starks looks the part yet isn't consistent and his fumbles aren't good.

Pugger
03-13-2016, 08:47 AM
BJ breaks down a lot. Starks is 30 years old. Neal isn't a spring chicken either. Perhaps none of these guys is resigned?

ThunderDan
03-13-2016, 09:49 AM
Starkplug all the way!

Upnorth
03-13-2016, 04:10 PM
Neal, Raji, 3rd @ vet minimum plus incentives starks.

RonWolfGOAT
03-13-2016, 05:34 PM
BJ breaks down a lot. Starks is 30 years old. Neal isn't a spring chicken either. Perhaps none of these guys is resigned?

frankly I don't want any of them. maybe Raji.

pbmax
03-13-2016, 07:32 PM
If people don't want Starks, who is the #2 RB?

Pugger
03-13-2016, 11:29 PM
If people don't want Starks, who is the #2 RB?

We'll probably draft one and sign an UDFA this spring.

Tony Oday
03-14-2016, 01:08 PM
Raji is retiring.

Fritz
03-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Okay, thread title change:

Starks/Neal