PDA

View Full Version : Nelson's ACL Rehab

pbmax
03-18-2016, 10:05 AM
Going well so far. No route running yet.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/18/jordy-nelson-right-where-he-wants-to-be-in-acl-rehab/

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15001078/jordy-nelson-green-bay-packers-pleased-acl-rehab

woodbuck27
03-18-2016, 10:17 PM
Mae was just talking about that news.

gbgary
03-18-2016, 10:48 PM
Pack should draft a wr early just in case he isn't himself...and in case the others are. lol

Freak Out
03-19-2016, 12:03 PM
Pack should draft a wr early just in case he isn't himself...and in case the others are. lol

A very good idea considering how things went last season. Go on the offensive!

beveaux1
03-19-2016, 04:16 PM

The problem is that we have some real needs this year--ILB, TE, DL, and OL. We also have 6 WRs that have a great shot at making the roster. I wonder which position we don't draft in rounds 1 - 3?

gbgary
03-20-2016, 02:33 PM
The problem is that we have some real needs this year--ILB, TE, DL, and OL. We also have 6 WRs that have a great shot at making the roster. I wonder which position we don't draft in rounds 1 - 3?

if you want clay outside then ilb is a need. i've no problem with him inside. as i've said, the d wasn't the problem last year, it was the o. i pay no attention to college fb so i can only go by what the pundits say and they're saying there are no impact te's in the draft. so...sign cook, he's better than what we have. if dansby can be signed for a year or two, sign him and move clay o/s. get a wr at #1 and then concentrate on o-line then d-line depth. but that's just me.

Carolina_Packer
03-20-2016, 03:57 PM
Generally speaking, free agency is about plugging immediate holes and drafting is about the future. Since the Packers rarely delve into free agency to fill needs, they are forced to play whoever they draft and live with their development cycle. You hope you get lucky and draft Demarious Randall, Quinten Rollins, and Ty Montgomery and have all three contribute they way those kids did (Monty would have been able to more, save for his injury), but some years you draft Nick Perry, Jerel Worth and Casey Hayward with only Casey being able to contribute at a level that consistently helped the team. Perry and Worthy played some, with the former getting hurt early to mid-season and Worthy never really doing much until he go hurt at the Vikings and then his Packer career was over as it turns out. I realize they got Daniels too who has turned out to be a good player, but I'm talking about the need to have more swings and hits at the top of the draft if you choose not to sign free agents.

Of course, that's also why TT is willing to let free agents walk, so he can get compensatory picks, which are extra swings at the plate for him. He knows how to manage cost certainty and the team's cap, so he's never going to force the team to cut and gut by making any expensive moves to fill need, but I think there's a possibility he could add a guy like Jared Cook, especially if the cap (and Cook's agent) tells TT he's affordable.

I'm somewhat in agreement with Beveaux1 that if we drafted a WR early, it may not be the biggest area of need to fill, and that guy might not get a lot of reps early anyway, which would lessen the impact that they could have on the team in the immediate future. Of course, if Josh Doctson is sitting there when the Packers are on the clock in the first round, and he is your BAP, you have to consider taking him, knowing that it may push Abby out the door if everyone stays healthy through camp.