PDA

View Full Version : Saint Vince

MJZiggy
04-15-2006, 01:28 PM
This thread is for our more mature members: I have recently read Vince Lombardi's biography and wonder if any of our members who are old enough to remember the time when he was in GB have any stories, legends, or things you can tell me about what it was like in town when Vince was here. Did anyone meet him? Any stories?

ND72
04-15-2006, 02:02 PM
which book did you read? I just finished reading When Pride Still Mattered myself, and seriously loved it...was disappointed when i was finished reading. I'm not one to know Vince, cause i'm only going on 25, but am a big "fan" and enjoy reading and learning about my coaching idol.

MJZiggy
04-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Same one, When Pride Still Mattered. I was sad when he died.

ND72
04-15-2006, 08:54 PM
oh yea....i was watching over a study hall when i finished it, kind of hard to suck back the tears in front of 14 year olds

oregonpackfan
04-15-2006, 09:35 PM
"When Pride Still Mattered" is an excellent book about Lombardi during the Packers' glory years.

I appreciated the way the author not only pointed out the many ways Lombardi was a great man and coach but he illustrated Lombardi's shortcomings as a man and coach.

Certainly Lombardi's assets outweighted his weaknesses. This book provides a very a very objective and thorough description of this legendary figure in Packer history.

This book is a "Must-read" for any Packer fan.

Oregonpackfan

swede
04-15-2006, 10:21 PM
I think it is a mistake to idealize Vince as anything other than a phenomenal football coach. He understood the game of his time quite well, taught his players well, and prepared them for each game. It was deeply imbedded in his character to drive himself and his players to excellence.

I'm afraid, however, that some of the stories you hear about Vince outside of football may not be very flattering. We moved from Minnesota to Appleton in 1965 when I was still pretty young, and my family's favorite restaurant there was the Manor House. They put me in a tie and slicked back my hair whenever we went to this fancy-shmancy place!

Apparently, Lombardi liked the place also. The waitresses there were familiar with Lombardi and didn't care much for him. I remember how shocked I was when one waitress told us that they drew straws to see who had to wait on him whenever he brought a party into the place. Lombardi, as the neighbor kids had quickly impressed upon me, was a deity. To hear someone speak ill of him was inconceivable.

(You keep using that word. I am not sure it means what you think it means.)

Harlan Huckleby
04-15-2006, 10:31 PM
so he had those waitresses running to daylight.

ND72
04-15-2006, 10:52 PM
agreed about all of this. I knew about Vince the coach, but never Vince the man. And i think it's sad, yet, almost refreshing that he struggled personally with life, and towards the end of it, he really knew he did struggle as a father and a husband. the book is outstanding though. recommend it to any packer fan of any age.

swede
04-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Yup. And he had them running to daylight in those short black mini skirts that puffed out with white frilly undy things. Even the middle-aged gals with thunder thighs had to wear those mini skirts. I guess this costuming excited the tippling and the tipping among the old white boys that liked to eat there.

Eeew. I'm dredging up repressed memories of some of my dad's friends squeezing up the waitresses like they were ripe fruit. Yuck. Like when Jabba the Hut licks Carrie Fisher.

swede
04-15-2006, 11:08 PM
agreed about all of this. I knew about Vince the coach, but never Vince the man. And i think it's sad, yet, almost refreshing that he struggled personally with life, and towards the end of it, he really knew he did struggle as a father and a husband. the book is outstanding though. recommend it to any packer fan of any age.

Agreed ND. These things we learn about Lombardi don't make him a fallen hero to me. It's just interesting how all those forces of family, schooling, religion, and early coaching jobs shaped that man into the legendary coach he was.

ND72
04-15-2006, 11:11 PM
the coaching stuff i really kind of hooked onto. I've been coaching now for 5 years, i know, not long...and i have huge ambitions of being a head coach or even working in college, and at times i feel like i'm not going anywhere or doing anythign or getting the chance i deserve, but not cause i'm italian, since i'm not :wink: but i look at that as a "stand strong" type thing cause someday things will happen for me, and they'll happen for a reason. who knows what might have happened if Vince had gotten that job at Fordham instead of going onto the Giants.