PDA

View Full Version : Ted Thompson has spent $14m so far this offseason

RonWolfGOAT
03-18-2016, 10:49 AM
On a kicker and three backups. :sad:

Carolina_Packer
03-18-2016, 11:08 AM
Teams truly committed to draft and develop are more likely to identify and sign their own, before they take a chance in free agency, unless they can identify a player that can have plug a hole without being a potential cap liability, or would be better, sooner than what you could draft. I happen to think that Jared Cook represents that to the Packers now, but of course, I don't know what he was looking to sign for either. I wish Ted was more willing to plug some immediate needs in free agency, but I respect their process, don't ever get too hung up about whether it should be done differently, or not. If it was an abject failure, they would have been so close to the Super Bowl in 2014 and with a struggling offense a Sam Shields interception away from another NFCCG.

It's not all perfect, of course, but it seems to be going well. As to your comment, in the words of Norm from Cheers, "The world needs bench warmers." They can't all be starters, RWG.

Tony Oday
03-18-2016, 12:15 PM
How many games were lost this year because of kickers?

run pMc
03-18-2016, 12:54 PM
I can tell you that Vikings fans won't forget Walsh's miss against SEA for a long time.

George Cumby
03-18-2016, 02:19 PM
So?

ThunderDan
03-18-2016, 03:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15002995/grading-teams-largely-sat-free-agency-2016-nfl

ESPN has an article on how teams get ahead by not using free agency.

RonWolfGOAT
03-18-2016, 05:17 PM
So?

I know you're purposely being obtuse but I'll reply.

Next year you'll see the same thing we've seen in 2014, 2013, 2012 etc: the other team exploiting the middle of the field because our ILB are a stiff Jake Ryan and a midget Sam Barrington.

You'll also see our WRs blanketed because there is no TE threat over the middle.

Don't you think that $14m could have been better spent on plugging those holes instead of re-signing backups?

Tony Oday
03-18-2016, 05:22 PM
No. We got Crosby back, Jordy will be able and we will be a SB Favorite again.

RonWolfGOAT
03-18-2016, 05:28 PM
No. We got Crosby back, Jordy will be able and we will be a SB Favorite again.

Putting all our bets on a 31 year old WR coming off a torn knee.

And what about the ILB spot?

Pugger
03-18-2016, 06:19 PM
How many games were lost this year because of kickers?

One. At home against Chicago.

esoxx
03-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Two. At home against Detroit.

Cleft Crusty
03-18-2016, 07:35 PM

Next year you'll see the same thing we've seen in 2014, 2013, 2012 etc: the other team exploiting the middle of the field because our ILB are a stiff Jake Ryan and a midget Sam Barrington.

You'll also see our WRs blanketed because there is no TE threat over the middle.

Don't you think that $14m could have been better spent on plugging those holes instead of re-signing backups?

Hi RonwolfGOAT,

I think you may be stuck in the Ron Wolf era. Perhaps some game film (or 'electronic media' as the kids call it these days) is available to you, and you could see that the Packers don't play a lot of defensive snaps with four linebackers or two run stopping ILB to be sure. Given that the Packers drafted two DBs last year and have an up and coming outside coverage back in Gunter, I'd expect you'll see a lot more 5 defensive back sets again this year. It is a passing league, in case you missed that transition. Not so much like having Stabler or Plunkett take a seven step drop and heaving the 'ol pigskin down the field on third and long anymore. Enjoy the modern NFL!

George Cumby
03-18-2016, 07:42 PM

Yes. Yes I am. :-)

I'm not sold on Ryan or Barrington, either. Dansby may or may not be the answer, but at his age, probably not.

I'd love to get a stud, fast as the wind TE, but where? And at what price?

Spending money to plug holes is great, but not at the expense of creating new holes........

Bretsky
03-18-2016, 08:28 PM
Yes. Yes I am. :-)

I'm not sold on Ryan or Barrington, either. Dansby may or may not be the answer, but at his age, probably not.

I'd love to get a stud, fast as the wind TE, but where? And at what price?

Spending money to plug holes is great, but not at the expense of creating new holes........

Green got a nice deal with the Steelers. GB could afford that.

Tony Oday
03-18-2016, 08:28 PM
Jordy comes back and Janis, Abby, Montgomery and whatever else we get will rocket this offense to number 1.

Joemailman
03-18-2016, 09:29 PM

Lane Taylor is a backup who only plays if someone is hurt. Perry and Starks though are key rotation players, and Perry's role will probably increase with Mike Neal likely leaving. Starks actually played more snaps last year than Lacy. While that will likely change if Lacy returns to form, he still remains a key rotational player. Signing these guys aren't exciting moves, but these kind of role players are important in the current NFL.

woodbuck27
03-18-2016, 09:49 PM
Jordy comes back and Janis, Abby, Montgomery and whatever else we get will rocket this offense to number 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6EcMSWRpms

woodbuck27
03-18-2016, 09:54 PM

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/3/9/11156014/ladarius-green-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agent-contract

Ladarius Green signs 4-year deal with Pittsburgh Steelers

By Katie Sharp  @ktsharp on Mar 10, 2016, 3:08 PM

" ...Tight end Ladarius Green is off to fill some big shoes after signing a four-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers. The deal is reportedly worth $20 million, per ESPN's Adam Schefter. Despite playing in the shadow of future Hall of Famer Antonio Gates during his four seasons in San Diego, Green remains one of the most promising young tight ends in the league .."

Patler
03-19-2016, 09:16 AM

San Diego could too, if Pittsburgh can. Steelers are in worse cap shape than the Chargers.

I'm a little confused over why SD didn't try to keep him in place of or in addition to Gates.

Striker
03-19-2016, 10:43 AM

You're an idiot.

run pMc
03-19-2016, 01:55 PM
San Diego could too, if Pittsburgh can. Steelers are in worse cap shape than the Chargers.

I'm a little confused over why SD didn't try to keep him in place of or in addition to Gates.

I wonder if his injury history was part of it? Looks like he's had a couple of concussions and was on IR for an ankle. It does seem interesting that SD wouldn't want to keep a younger, developing 6'6" TE with potential over Gates...there's gotta be a reason. Or maybe SD is just dumb.

RonWolfGOAT
03-19-2016, 02:54 PM
You're an idiot.

personal attacks are common when you don't have any way to constructively defend your God Ted Thompson.

Striker
03-19-2016, 03:51 PM
personal attacks are common when you don't have any way to constructively defend your God Ted Thompson.

Well, when you have a history of ignoring actual points and just isolating one post then that seems like the most appropriate response.

The fact that you try to make a complaint out of spending 3.5M/avg on 4 players (1 starter, 1 swing, 2 backups) pretty much shows how seriously you should be taken.

beveaux1
03-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Well, when you have a history of ignoring actual points and just isolating one post then that seems like the most appropriate response.

The fact that you try to make a complaint out of spending 3.5M/avg on 4 players (1 starter, 1 swing, 2 backups) pretty much shows how seriously you should be taken.

The only contract that I thought was slightly high was the Stark contract. I wasn't upset with any of the signings. Mostly, they were very reasonable. I would be surprised if we sign any street free agent with the number of contracts coming due next year. I believe that any cap money left unspent will roll over to next year and we'll need all the money we can get.

Bretsky
03-20-2016, 08:33 AM

I agree, but maybe Green wanted a change. Pittsburg was desperate for a TE with Heath Miller retiring so while they normally have a Ted like attitude toward free agency this year they played early.

Patler
03-20-2016, 12:58 PM
I agree, but maybe Green wanted a change. Pittsburg was desperate for a TE with Heath Miller retiring so while they normally have a Ted like attitude toward free agency this year they played early.

I would have been OK with the Packers doing the same deal Pittsburgh did.

beveaux1
03-20-2016, 05:35 PM
Very good article about Ted Thompson and free agency. http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-free-agency-2016-news-reports/2016/3/18/11264804/packers-free-agency-ted-thompson-guide-8-rules-impatience-why-so-quiet?_ga=1.228789204.974909951.1458512801 .

Mr. Noonan has this to say at the end of the article
"This is what it all comes down to in the grand scheme of things. Ted Thompson does sign free agents, but there are a lot of internal checks on doing so, and consequently the signings are rare, well-vetted, and ultimately tend to be successful. The simple fact is the more active you are in free agency, the more likely you are to lose. The game is rigged for those who play judiciously, and rigged against anyone who dabbles too frequently. Thompson will always be lambasted due to the very human preference to take action in the face of adversity. It is the strong, savvy, disciplined manager who can maintain his cool, and choose inaction in the vast majority of the time when it is appropriate."

Bretsky
03-20-2016, 08:32 PM
I would have been OK with the Packers doing the same deal Pittsburgh did.
'

DITTO; he'd give our offense something Ploddgers doesn't.

George Cumby
03-20-2016, 11:11 PM
"Ploddgers". I like it.

Zool
03-21-2016, 08:25 AM
I still prefer to call him DickRod

George Cumby
03-21-2016, 09:35 AM
Me too, Ploddgers doesn't roll of the tounge as well as DickRod. Or so I'm told.

Upnorth
03-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Me too, Ploddgers doesn't roll of the tounge as well as DickRod. Or so I'm told.

You prefer dickrod on your tounge?!? Thanks for letting us know your personal preference...;)

Patler
03-28-2016, 12:48 PM

The off season is a long period of time. Answers aren't found only in the first two weeks of free agency.

Building a roster isn't done by addition; it is done by a process of reallocation. A GM is constantly faced with decisions about how much to spend at one position compared to another, and whether to commit more to one position while taking away from another. Being good at it requires finding good value in the players signed.

Today we have seen a good GM get a TE who many fans lobbied for, and by playing a waiting game he got him relatively cheaply. By getting him cheaply, he was also able to "waste" his money on resigning others who could (should} play important roles on the team.

pbmax
03-31-2016, 08:38 AM
As always, it takes two to tango:

ESPN’s Rob Demovsky reported that there was an offer on the table from the Packers dating back to March 14th, immediately after Cook visited with the team. Cook then took time to gauge interest from other teams, including the Bears, Panthers and Falcons before settling on playing with a two-time NFL MVP and Super Bowl champion quarterback.

http://packerstalk.com/2016/03/31/cook-signing-telling-for-packers-thompson/

Demovsky article: http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/28967/packers-had-interest-in-te-jared-cook-all-along-even-tried-to-trade-for-him

mraynrand
03-31-2016, 09:23 AM
Very good article about Ted Thompson and free agency. http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-free-agency-2016-news-reports/2016/3/18/11264804/packers-free-agency-ted-thompson-guide-8-rules-impatience-why-so-quiet?_ga=1.228789204.974909951.1458512801 .

Mr. Noonan has this to say at the end of the article
"This is what it all comes down to in the grand scheme of things. Ted Thompson does sign free agents, but there are a lot of internal checks on doing so, and consequently the signings are rare, well-vetted, and ultimately tend to be successful. The simple fact is the more active you are in free agency, the more likely you are to lose. The game is rigged for those who play judiciously, and rigged against anyone who dabbles too frequently. Thompson will always be lambasted due to the very human preference to take action in the face of adversity. It is the strong, savvy, disciplined manager who can maintain his cool, and choose inaction in the vast majority of the time when it is appropriate."

Take it to FYI

woodbuck27
03-31-2016, 10:13 PM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/history-inventory-caveman-neanderthal-rock-stick-rman9378_low.jpg