PDA

View Full Version : Which direction do you think TT will go in the draft?

RonWolfGOAT
03-21-2016, 05:07 PM
3/5th of the online is up for free agency next year, so I expect at least 2 o lineman.

However, we are also thin at TE, ILB and especially DL.

This is why I was hoping for some small FA additions at TE or ILB, so Ted could focus on the OL and DL in the draft.

Unfortunately, it looks like 1 if not 2 of TE, ILB and DL will be holes going into the season.

George Cumby
03-21-2016, 05:15 PM
A couple o line, a DB or two, one of the better ILB prospects, if available, an OLB, a TE and an RB. Oh and a QB. And a DL.

Fuggit, he'll draft a Mish mash of players, most of whom we know nothing about.

pbmax
03-21-2016, 05:20 PM
I agree on the doubling up on O lineman. Everyone thinks D line early, he'll take one but your guess is as good as theirs as to when.

Rutnstrut
03-21-2016, 07:24 PM
I don't know which O lineman are FA's next year, but I wouldn't shed a tear if Bulaga and Bakhtiari went elsewhere. So i hope he does go for Oline.

RonWolfGOAT
03-21-2016, 07:37 PM
I don't know which O lineman are FA's next year, but I wouldn't shed a tear if Bulaga and Bakhtiari went elsewhere. So i hope he does go for Oline.

Lang, Bakh and Sitton are FAs.

I'd like Bakh and Sitton to stay. Bakh isn't an elite LT but he is solid in a critical position

Joemailman
03-21-2016, 07:42 PM
Lang, Bakh and Sitton are FAs.

I'd like Bakh and Sitton to stay. Bakh isn't an elite LT but he is solid in a critical position

Tretter will be a FA too.

TT could draft an OT and move Bakh inside to G where most scouts thought he would play. If he doesn't take an OT early, keep an eye on those 3 4th round picks. Lang, Sitton, Bakh and Tretter were all 4th round picks.

smuggler
03-21-2016, 08:09 PM
2OL, 2DL, 1 TE, 2 LB, 1 WR, 1 RB

You never know what will happen the day of the draft. We might draft a safety. Might draft a corner. Might draft a quarterback.

Maxie the Taxi
03-21-2016, 09:01 PM
As things stand now, TT will likely be able to chose an elite-type LT (Conklin, Clark) in the 1st round and a very good OG later. I wouldn't pass on these guys...unless, of course, it's a Blue Chipper like Dodd or Billings. But then again the D-line prospect pool is deep. How valuable is a really good LT compared to a really good DE? I certainly wouldn't pass on a Conklin to choose Ragland or Henry.

It all depends on TT's internal scouting reports and evaluations of players we have. It's almost foolish to attempt to read TT's mind. All we can say is what we would do based on meager info.

run pMc
03-21-2016, 09:08 PM
Agree with smuggler.
In some recent drafts TT's doubled up on some spots, presumably because they are either the BPA or it's a position of need. I think 2 OL, and probably 2 DL because of the depth there, unless they think they have something special in Pennel, Boyd, and Ringo. Tretter will be able to find a starting job as a C somewhere, so he'll be tough to keep. Sitton is still good, but back injuries can wreck a career pretty easily. The fact Sitton was at LT in the season finale says all you need to know about who MM thinks is the best OL. Bahk is a guy you can win with, but you'll replace in a minute if you can find someone better. Lang's pretty good and a year younger than Sitton.

I wouldn't be shocked if 2 LBs drafted; I don't think Carl Bradford is going to make the roster (or PS), I don't think Neal or Mulumba will be back this year, and Peppers and Perry are FA next year. Maybe a safety or corner if there's a BPA there. RB since Lacy will be a FA and Starks is 30. TE since they have Plodgers and that's it. (I'm ignoring Backman and Perillo.)

Not sure about WR -- I could see them bringing in a bunch of guys into camp as UDFAs a la Myles White and seeing if anyone surprises. They have two guys on the PS they seem to like, but there a lot of questions. Will Janis improve? Can Abby stay healthy? Will Adams rebound? How will Jordy play?

George Cumby
03-21-2016, 09:42 PM
Props to RWG for starting a good thread.

Carolina_Packer
03-21-2016, 10:55 PM
Here's a 7 round mock (minus comp. picks): http://lombardiave.com/2016/02/19/green-bay-packers-seven-round-2016-nfl-mock-draft/8/ I'd be pretty happy with some of these picks, especially getting Josh Doctson in the 3rd round.

I'm thinking he'd take Ragland if he fell to #27, but I don't think he will. If Vernon Butler, DT, LA Tech is sitting there, TT would have to think about someone like him. Comp. is Muhammad Wilkerson. Stay with the big guys and draft an OL in the second, add either an OLB or ILB in the third, a TE in the 4th, and then build depth as needed.

George Cumby
03-21-2016, 11:03 PM
A stud DL in the middle masks the ILB weaknesses, so I could definitely see him taking a premium talent there, if available. BUT, TT's record on first round DL isn't confidence inspiring............

Pugger
03-22-2016, 12:27 AM
Only Ted and God knows what direction he will go on draft day. Last year we were all certain he'd take an ILB but he surprised us all taking Randall instead.

George Cumby
03-22-2016, 02:07 AM
And a pretty good choice it was. We were all "Whut da' phuuuuuk? Who'd he pick? Who's THIS ankle biter?" And, amazingly, the professional scout turned GM knew better than all of us turds.

It's almost like he knows his area of expertise or something. Like he gets paid to do it.

Weird.

Fritz
03-22-2016, 05:34 AM
And a pretty good choice it was. We were all "Whut da' phuuuuuk? Who'd he pick? Who's THIS ankle biter?" And, amazingly, the professional scout turned GM knew better than all of us turds.

It's almost like he knows his area of expertise or something. Like he gets paid to do it.

Weird.

My one prediction is that he'll take an ILB way way later than we'd like. We'll be throwing things at the tv.

Pugger
03-22-2016, 07:54 AM
But if I had to make a guess Ted might go with a DT or DE after Raji took a hiatus this year.

pbmax
03-22-2016, 09:46 AM
My one prediction is that he'll take an ILB way way later than we'd like. We'll be throwing things at the tv.

My guess is that he takes on in the second round and its the guy Bretsky and wist have been posting they don't want. :lol:

Patler
03-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Only Ted and God knows what direction he will go on draft day. Last year we were all certain he'd take an ILB but he surprised us all taking Randall instead.

...and by doubling up in the second, a position of potential weakness became a position of strength, Hayward became expendable, and cap money was saved. The impact of not having to pay Hayward might manifest itself in 2017, when the O-line is hit hard with expiring contracts.

Yet, some will complain that TT has done nothing to fill holes or get better, when, in fact, that is exactly what he has done, but in a more subtle way than by going out and signing a big name FA.

Maxie the Taxi
03-22-2016, 10:11 AM
My guess is that he takes on in the second round and its the guy Bretsky and wist have been posting they don't want. :lol:Who you talking about?

Fritz
03-22-2016, 10:20 AM
My guess is that he takes on in the second round and its the guy Bretsky and wist have been posting they don't want. :lol:

And my guess is that if that guy has a very good rookie season, Wist will continue to grumble that the guy is no good and posters just aren't realistic like he is.

pbmax
03-22-2016, 10:40 AM
Who you talking about?

No idea. My claim is kinship to Grecian theatre (wist/Bretsky are the chorus) than predictive methodology.

Maxie the Taxi
03-22-2016, 11:01 AM
No idea. My claim is kinship to Grecian theatre (wist/Bretsky are the chorus) than predictive methodology.I get it. In that case, I won't disagree with you.

RonWolfGOAT
03-22-2016, 01:15 PM
I'm just afraid we have a lot of holes heading into the draft:

-DL
-OL after this season
-If we move Clay to ILB permanently, then I think we could add an OLB
-If we move Clay to OLB permanently, then I think we could add an ILB
-3rd down RB
-TE

^That is the order I would rank them in as far as importance.

Seems like a tough task for 1 draft and no FAs IMO.

Deputy Nutz
03-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Here is my prediction; This is Thompson's last draft.

3irty1
03-22-2016, 01:48 PM
My wishlist:
1. Boundary cornerback
2. OL
3. ILB
4. TE
5. DL

I wouldn't call any of them holes, its not like any of these will be called on to start without injuries, but these are the positions where I feel its easiest to make the team. I'd love to put WR up there too because of how much they sucked last year but its already a logjam.

More than anything we need our existing players to take a step forward. We've got a lot of guys who are either still in the steep part of the learning curve or only need to get a little better to make a big impact.

Patler
03-22-2016, 02:15 PM

I've been thinking the same thing. TT has been joking with reporters at his recent news conferences, to an extent that is uncharacteristic for him. The promotion of Wolf is to a title carried by TT last year or the year before. I think TT will stay through the end of his contract, but with a continual transfer of responsibilities.

Carolina_Packer
03-22-2016, 02:20 PM
My wishlist:
1. Boundary cornerback
2. OL
3. ILB
4. TE
5. DL

I wouldn't call any of them holes, its not like any of these will be called on to start without injuries, but these are the positions where I feel its easiest to make the team. I'd love to put WR up there too because of how much they sucked last year but its already a logjam.

More than anything we need our existing players to take a step forward. We've got a lot of guys who are either still in the steep part of the learning curve or only need to get a little better to make a big impact.

I agree with the content of your list, but I would switch 1 and 5. If you have a DT rated higher than an ILB, the best gift to any ILB on the team is to have a guy like Vernon Butler disrupting the middle. Here is a Gil Brandt list of defensive players that he considers underrated. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000646511/article/ten-most-underrated-defensive-prospects-in-2016-nfl-draft The kid from Nebraska is intriguing too. I would love it if Sheldon Rankins dropped to 27th. Another great scenario would be if Reggie Ragland somehow dropped to 27th (likely won't) and Green Bay was able to get Maliek Collins at DT in the 2nd round, and an OL in the 3rd or 4th round, and possibly get that Tyler Higbee kid from WKU. Another scenario could be Sheldon Rankins in the 1st and Deion Jones in the 2nd.

woodbuck27
03-22-2016, 03:13 PM
I agree with the content of your list, but I would switch 1 and 5. If you have a DT rated higher than an ILB, the best gift to any ILB on the team is to have a guy like Vernon Butler disrupting the middle. Here is a Gil Brandt list of defensive players that he considers underrated. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000646511/article/ten-most-underrated-defensive-prospects-in-2016-nfl-draft The kid from Nebraska is intriguing too. I would love it if Sheldon Rankins dropped to 27th. Another great scenario would be if Reggie Ragland somehow dropped to 27th (likely won't) and Green Bay was able to get Maliek Collins at DT in the 2nd round, and an OL in the 3rd or 4th round, and possibly get that Tyler Higbee kid from WKU. Another scenario could be Sheldon Rankins in the 1st and Deion Jones in the 2nd.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/sheldon-rankins?id=2555242

DT ...Sheldon Rankins ...Louisville ACC

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25369882/meet-the-prospect-lsu-olb-deion-jones

NFLDraftScout.com .... LSU OLB Deion Jones

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

November 11, 2015 10:32 am ET

jklowan
03-22-2016, 03:19 PM

I think this has a good chance of being there for GB

1st.Reggie Ragland
2nd Maliek Collins
3rd Joel Haeg
4th CJ Prosise
4th Tyler Higbee

Weather Ted does it is another story

Carolina_Packer
03-22-2016, 03:56 PM
I think this has a good chance of being there for GB

1st.Reggie Ragland
2nd Maliek Collins
3rd Joel Haeg
4th CJ Prosise
4th Tyler Higbee

Weather Ted does it is another story

I'm voting you into the Packers draft room!

Carolina_Packer
03-22-2016, 04:05 PM
OK, on second thought jklowan, you didn't pick an ILB, so I might have to reconsider my vote! :-)

gbgary
03-22-2016, 06:05 PM
with the 1st pick...he'll go offense...either at wr or ol.

The Shadow
03-25-2016, 11:12 AM
I think if Noah Spence's problems are truly behind him, I'd spare noah expense to draft him - and I would be in ecstasy (see what I did there?).

Bretsky
03-25-2016, 09:39 PM
my gut tells me TTT takes something unexciting and something I don't want

TTT goes OL; take it to the bank

call_me_ishmael
03-25-2016, 10:18 PM

I think you're correct.

pbmax
03-27-2016, 09:26 AM
What are Ted's traditional first round preferences, positions he wants to get out of the first round?

1. D Line
2. O Line
3. CB
4. OLB/pass rusher
5. QB

Its not going to be a QB, so take your pick.

Patler
03-27-2016, 10:09 AM
What are Ted's traditional first round preferences, positions he wants to get out of the first round?

1. D Line
2. O Line
3. CB
4. OLB/pass rusher
5. QB

Its not going to be a QB, so take your pick.

He often talks about how difficult it is to find talented big men, so DL or OL are good bets.

Pugger
03-27-2016, 02:01 PM

I suspect he'll retire when his contract is up after the 2018 season.

woodbuck27
03-28-2016, 04:37 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2627866-2016-nfl-draft-ranking-the-biggest-boom-or-bust-prospects/page/2

Biggest Boom of BUST DRAFT Prospects available in the 2016 NFL DRAFT.

Fritz
03-29-2016, 10:53 AM
What's Ted going to do about a punter and a third string QB? Is this the year TT nabs a punter in the sixth or seventh round, and is it too soon to draft another QB? Do you want two young QB's only a year apart in their contracts? Or does Ted just swing with two and hope we don't have a repeat of the Vince Young/Seneca Wallace/Graham Harrell/BJ Coleman experience?

George Cumby
03-29-2016, 11:04 AM
I suspect he'll retire when his contract is up after the 2018 season.

Agreed. He's a man who honors his contracts.

Patler
03-29-2016, 12:28 PM
Agreed. He's a man who honors his contracts.

He strikes me as a guy who will go beyond that. He will tell them a year or two early, and encourage them to bring in his replacement before he leaves, to allow for an efficient transfer to the new GM. TT plans for transitions.

I'm not sure we aren't already seeing it. The Wolf pup now has the title "Director of Football Operations". Until now, TT has been "Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations." It wouldn't surprise me if Wolf assumes the tittle of "General Manager" for the last year of TT's contract, while TT stays as "Executive VP" consulting and advising Wolf or another replacement.

George Cumby
03-29-2016, 01:08 PM
Right on as always, Patler.

"Wolf Pup". Love it. Wish I'd thought of it.

woodbuck27
03-29-2016, 01:43 PM
He strikes me as a guy who will go beyond that. He will tell them a year or two early, and encourage them to bring in his replacement before he leaves, to allow for an efficient transfer to the new GM. TT plans for transitions.

I'm not sure we aren't already seeing it. The Wolf pup now has the title "Director of Football Operations". Until now, TT has been "Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations." It wouldn't surprise me if Wolf assumes the tittle of "General Manager" for the last year of TT's contract, while TT stays as "Executive VP" consulting and advising Wolf or another replacement.

Sometimes I get a tad hard on Ted Thompson but we may see a lot worse after his retirement.

TT is a reserved and often too himself man. I do believe he has the best intentions. I do believe that he's ethical.

I honestly believe that their are members here that would do a lot to improve his Scouting Dept. If that is the basis for how TT hopes to ensure the Packers future. His Scouting Dept. might serve his desires there better.

pbmax
03-29-2016, 02:33 PM

Dorsey and McKenzie both previously held the DFO title I believe.

Patler
03-29-2016, 02:53 PM
Dorsey and McKenzie both previously held the DFO title I believe.

I believe they did, shared with TT as now Wolf does. This makes it even more interesting, because in their time each Mckenzie, then Dorsey was considered next in line of succession in the event something happened to TT. TT has talked about the importance of structure and lines of succession in the event of the unexpected. Now Wolf holds the title after a couple years when no one did, and would seem next in line. Doesn't mean he would be a permanent replacement, but at this stage of TT's career I think the promotion makes it likely.

Wolf will either replace TT or go somewhere else as GM within the next couple years.

woodbuck27
03-29-2016, 06:35 PM
It's vital for a real contender to be strong on the lines on both sides of the ball. TT just lost his guy...NT/DT BJ Raji.

Reggie Ragland will be long gone by the NO. 27 pick.

Looking at this and who may be available I predict that TT will most probably select for the DL. He needs to find a replacement for the loss (however temporary or not) of BJ Raji.

I think that DT Sheldon Rankings (Louisville) will be gone

Most likely candidates are:

I think that DT Sheldon Rankings (Louisville) will be gone; so possibly it will one of:

DT's Jarren Read ( ALBAMA) or Chris Jones (Mississippi State) or NT's; Andrew Billings (BAYLOR) or Kenny Clsrk (UCLA)

Maybe his man is OT Jason Spriggs (Indiana).

He might try to hit a Home Run and select TE Hunter Henry for his all round skills and bringing in TE Jared Cook looks lke a a move for now.

If had to bet I'd say TT picks at NT/DT.