PDA

View Full Version : NFL Competition Committee Announces Rule Changes for 2016 Season

woodbuck27
03-22-2016, 03:55 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2626766-nfl-competition-committee-announces-rule-changes-for-2016-season

NFL Competition Committee Announces Rule Changes for 2016 Season

Included:

making all chop blocks illegal and permanently moving the line of scrimmage on extra points to the 15-yard line.

By Timothy Rapp , Featured Columnist

March 22, 2016

Joemailman
03-22-2016, 07:39 PM
Will this more or less eliminate zone run blocking?

pbmax
03-22-2016, 09:05 PM
Will this more or less eliminate zone run blocking?

No.

Mike Garafolo ✔‎@MikeGarafolo
Chop block is when a player is engaged by another player. Cut block (still legal) is a low block when not engaged.

Cheesehead Craig
03-23-2016, 09:45 AM
Also, touchbacks now come out to the 25. All to discourage kick returns. That really hurts players like Montgomery who are drafted partly due to their return abilities. I don't know why a player would return a kickoff if it goes anywhere in the endzone now. Even a yard deep, it's worth it to take a knee.

pbmax
03-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 40m40 minutes ago
Interesting NFL bylaw change. You can now designate IR-designated to return retroactively. So any one IR person can come back after 6 weeks.

Fritz
03-23-2016, 10:04 AM
Given the number of injuries in the NFL, my opinion is that they ought to have three IR-designated-to-return slots for each team. Why can't you use your best players if they get hurt but can recover in time to play at the end of the season?

pbmax
03-23-2016, 10:19 AM
Also, touchbacks now come out to the 25. All to discourage kick returns. That really hurts players like Montgomery who are drafted partly due to their return abilities. I don't know why a player would return a kickoff if it goes anywhere in the endzone now. Even a yard deep, it's worth it to take a knee.

So the debate is on. Will most teams be content to let the opponent start on the 25 (increasing scoring) or will they kick short to entice a return?

My money is on kicking short and this idea backfiring. There is no fair catch on KO not in the end zone.

Michael Tanier ‏@MikeTanier 25m25 minutes ago New Jersey, USA
Kickoffs will now be high hangtime lofts to near the goal line. Returns will increase. Coverage will be closer.

Michael Tanier ‏@MikeTanier 23m23 minutes ago New Jersey, USA
Kickoff returns just got a whole lot more like punt returns, without the fair catch option unless it's in the end zone.

Cheesehead Craig
03-23-2016, 10:41 AM
So the debate is on. Will most teams be content to let the opponent start on the 25 (increasing scoring) or will they kick short to entice a return?

My money is on kicking short and this idea backfiring. There is no fair catch on KO not in the end zone.

Michael Tanier ‏@MikeTanier 25m25 minutes ago New Jersey, USA
Kickoffs will now be high hangtime lofts to near the goal line. Returns will increase. Coverage will be closer.

Michael Tanier ‏@MikeTanier 23m23 minutes ago New Jersey, USA
Kickoff returns just got a whole lot more like punt returns, without the fair catch option unless it's in the end zone.

No high hangtime in Cowboys stadium though. Video screens there will knock that shit down like Dikembe Mutombo.

pbmax
03-23-2016, 10:44 AM
Michael David Smith @MichaelDavSmith
@FO_ScottKacsmar @ChrisTrapasso The new touchback rule applies only to kickoffs. On punts, a touchback still goes to the 20-yard line.

Fritz
03-23-2016, 11:28 AM
Now that there won't be very many kickoff returns, maybe it's okay if Shawn Slocum comes back . . .

Tony Oday
03-23-2016, 12:13 PM
Packers benefit GREATLY from the touchback rule...

Cheesehead Craig
03-23-2016, 02:52 PM
Packers benefit GREATLY from the touchback rule...

Yeesh, just looked that up. Packers were 4th worst in kickoff coverage last year. They were 11th in their own kickoff returns.

Pugger
03-23-2016, 02:57 PM
Given the number of injuries in the NFL, my opinion is that they ought to have three IR-designated-to-return slots for each team. Why can't you use your best players if they get hurt but can recover in time to play at the end of the season?

I agree with you there. I wouldn't mind it if they expanded the rosters either. If your team is devastated by injury doesn't that impact the product on the field?

Pugger
03-23-2016, 02:58 PM
Now that there won't be very many kickoff returns, maybe it's okay if Shawn Slocum comes back . . .

Egods! I think I'd rather stick with Zook. :lol:

mraynrand
03-23-2016, 04:27 PM
Also, touchbacks now come out to the 25.

why not play the entire game like college OT?

Fritz
03-23-2016, 04:56 PM
Good point. I get the concern for injuries, but you're getting to the point where there's not any sense in even having a kickoff.

hoosier
03-23-2016, 07:45 PM

Wow. Those short pop-ups that get fielded at 40 are going to be a bitch.

gbgary
03-24-2016, 12:08 AM
my guess is they'll kick deep as they can...just like now. what's 5 yards? teams with great coverage might kick it to the 5+-, and anyone wanting the clock to move will kick it to the 5+-. i don't see it affecting the game that much.

There is no fair catch on KO not in the end zone. never seen a fair catch on a kick-off unless it was a punt after a safety; and that would be
the best kick-off coverage in the history of the nfl if someone was forced to fair-catch one in the end-zone.

Cheesehead Craig
03-24-2016, 08:53 AM
Mike and Mike discussed this and had an interesting take. Golic believes that there will be more kickoff returns with the rule (Greenburg agrees). He believes that now kickers are going to kick it higher and have it drop around the 5. Gives the coverage team more time to get there and stop the returner before the 25. 5 yards may mean a lot to some coaches so they may very well teach their kickers to do the higher, shorter kickoffs with the goal of stopping them before the 25.

54% of kickoffs last year were touchbacks. Will be interesting to see what that number is this coming season.

mraynrand
03-24-2016, 09:04 AM
Mike and Mike discussed this and had an interesting take. Golic believes that there will be more kickoff returns with the rule (Greenburg agrees). He believes that now kickers are going to kick it higher and have it drop around the 5. Gives the coverage team more time to get there and stop the returner before the 25. 5 yards may mean a lot to some coaches so they may very well teach their kickers to do the higher, shorter kickoffs with the goal of stopping them before the 25.

54% of kickoffs last year were touchbacks. Will be interesting to see what that number is this coming season.

Those types of KOs will set up more like punt returns which don't have quite as many of the full speed collisions.

Still, we are moving toward electronic tackle football (like two hands below the waist - easy, Harlan!). It is only a matter of time.

Cheesehead Craig
03-24-2016, 04:49 PM
Those types of KOs will set up more like punt returns which don't have quite as many of the full speed collisions.

Still, we are moving toward electronic tackle football (like two hands below the waist - easy, Harlan!). It is only a matter of time.

Cue wist coming on and saying that our defense already plays like the electronic football game. Guys going everywhere, some going to the sideline for no reason and there's always that one that just runs around in a circle.

http://queenmobs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/maxresdefault.jpg