PDA

View Full Version : What Ted Likes

George Cumby
03-29-2016, 10:23 AM
So, now that Ted has finished with his Free Agent Feeding Frenzy, the draft looms.

Over the years I've discerned some things about Teds picks which I think show trends and reveal what's going on in Teds Head. These are all generalities, by no means do I think these are set in stone. These are also thin slices from what little I know, so the list is inherently flawed. I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts and observations.

Generally, Ted tends to pick guys that share a certain constellation of characteristics:

Guys who like football.
Hard workers.
Smart.
Men of Faith.
Solid people.

Who does that remind you of? Ted. Many of Teds picks are Ted picking more talented versions of himself.

Thoughts?

What are his trends and tendencies on the schools he drafts from?

Joemailman
03-29-2016, 10:37 AM
Generally, Ted tends to pick guys that share a certain constellation of characteristics:

Guys who like football.
Hard workers.
Smart.
Men of Faith.
Solid people.

This is especially true of early round picks. Not gonna see any character risks in the first 2 rounds. So forget about the 6-5, 220 lb. WR with freakish athletic ability who was suspended 2 games for conduct detrimental to the team.

He drafted 3 guys from Iowa. Bulaga, Daniels, Hyde. Can't get more solid than that. And he likes guys named Rodgers from Cal.

KYPack
03-29-2016, 10:41 AM
I agree with this.

But maybe we need a few more assholes on the team.

Fritz
03-29-2016, 10:47 AM
I agree with this.

Holy smokes, George, when I saw the thread title I thought this was going to be one of those threads where the answer is "boys."

But to the actual nature of the thread - I agree with KY. Where's Wayne Simmons when you need him??

I want a little more of that Mike Daniels edge.

Joemailman
03-29-2016, 10:58 AM
But to the actual nature of the thread - I agree with KY. Where's Wayne Simmons when you need him??

\

Pushing up daisies. Even Holmgren and Wolf decided they had to part ways with a guy like Simmons. (Although it's true they won their only title with him). I like Daniels' edge, but that's about as far as it should go.

George Cumby
03-29-2016, 11:01 AM
Schools:

First 1-2 rounds almost always SEC or ACC?

Joemailman
03-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Schools:

First 1-2 rounds almost always SEC or ACC?

1st round:

Rodgers Pac 12
Hawk Big 10
Harrell SEC
Raji Big East
Matthews Pac 12
Bulaga Big 10
Sherrod SEC
Perry Pac 12
Jones Pac 12
Ha Ha SEC
Randall Pac 12

Joemailman
03-29-2016, 11:29 AM
2nd Round:

Collins MEAC
Murphy SWC
College WAC
Jennings MAC
Jackson Big 12
Lee SEC
Brohm Big East
Nelson Big 12
Neal Big 10
Cobb SEC
Worthy Big 10
Hayward SEC
Lacy SEC
Adams Mountain West
Rollins MAC

George Cumby
03-29-2016, 12:08 PM
So big name schools a guarantee in the first. That's a given, league wide, I reckon.

Second round, not so much.

Pugger
03-29-2016, 12:40 PM
I agree with this.

If you listen to Rams fans we did that yesterday. ;-)

MadScientist
03-29-2016, 12:55 PM

Guys who like football.
Hard workers.
Smart.
Men of Faith.
Solid people.

Who does that remind you of? Ted. Many of Teds picks are Ted picking more talented versions of himself.

Thoughts?

What are his trends and tendencies on the schools he drafts from?
The first 3 are good traits to have. (#3 generally limited to 'football smarts', Ted has no problems with players with low Wonderlic)
#5 is a good sell to the fans (Packer People), and reduces the likelihood of off-field suspensions.

If he really has #4 as a criteria, he is doing the Packers a disservice. Would you really want him passing on an Arian Foster or a Pat Tillman or a Brett Favre based on faith?

George Cumby
03-29-2016, 01:06 PM
Again, this isn't perfect, nor set in stone, nor absolute, just tendencies as I discern them. They may be totally off.

Agree on the football smart thing.

run pMc
03-29-2016, 05:29 PM
Seems to like defensive players from Pac 12 in R1. Helllllooo Kenny Clark.

I don't think it matters if they are seniors or underclassmen.
I know he likes players who have played for big schools and won't be overwhelmed by the bright lights, and players who have proven production.
I think after Harrell he pays more attention to injury history, although he took a perceived risk with Lacy.

The "football is important to him" trope applies to his draft picks.

esoxx
03-29-2016, 06:14 PM
^^^Except for Eddie Lacy^^^

pbmax
03-29-2016, 10:49 PM
^Traded to bottom of second round before signing him.

George Cumby
03-30-2016, 01:33 AM
Seems to like defensive players from Pac 12 in R1. Helllllooo Kenny Clark.

I don't think it matters if they are seniors or underclassmen.
I know he likes players who have played for big schools and won't be overwhelmed by the bright lights, and players who have proven production.

All good points.

On the last, my impression is he weights, heavily, their production in the big games of their career.

Fritz
03-30-2016, 05:39 AM
I think you are right, GC. I recall reading about Justin Harrell playing well in some big college games.

Just didn't work out for him. I do recall reading he was not overly passionate about the game, though.

woodbuck27
03-31-2016, 10:34 PM
I think you are right, GC. I recall reading about Justin Harrell playing well in some big college games.

Just didn't work out for him. I do recall reading he was not overly passionate about the game, though.

Was he heavily into:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfXDWEquaxtEApY-Wg-DpvFn_imdkKumGpJOmO7Y731i1GOh92Ag