PDA

View Full Version : Who Should TT Pick In 1st Round? 1.0

Joemailman
03-29-2016, 06:54 PM
I'm estimating the following players will likely be gone before the Packers pick, but feel free to disagree:

Laremy Tunsil, Jalen Ramsey, Joey Bosa, Myles Jack, Jared Goff, DeForest Buckner, Carson Wentz, Ezekiel Elliott, Ronnie Stanley, Vernon Hargreaves, LaQuan Treadwell, Darron lee, Shaq Lawson,
Reggie Ragland, A'Shawn Robinson, Jack Conklin, Mackensie Alexander, Corey Coleman, Will Fuller,
and Josh Doctson.

Who Should TT pick?

Poll to follow.

Joemailman
03-29-2016, 07:02 PM
Sheldon Rankins.

woodbuck27
03-29-2016, 07:41 PM
Sheldon Rankins.

I think that DT Sheldon Rankings who's ranked as the NO. 1 DT on a popular site will be long gone off the board at pick NO. 27.

I like Jarran Reed ... 6' -3"... 307 lbs ... ALABAMA ... http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2131655/jarran-reed

and

NT Andrew Billings ... 6' 1" ... 311 lbs ....BAYLOR... http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2079903/andrew-billings

Andrew Billings resembles a TT pick.....his next BJ Raji before his decline

NT Andrew Billings

Maxie the Taxi
03-29-2016, 08:21 PM
IMO our top two needs in this draft as they impact Round 1 are: 1) Pass protection; and 2) Pass rush. TT should pick the BPA in these categories in the first round. If we can get either a starting caliber LT (say Jack Conklin) or a starting caliber pass rusher (say Kevin Dodd or Leonard Floyd) out of this draft with our first round choice, then mission accomplished IMO.

Joemailman
03-29-2016, 10:04 PM
I think that DT Sheldon Rankings who's ranked as the NO. 1 DT on a popular site will be long gone off the board at pick NO. 27.

I like Jarran Reed ... 6' -3"... 307 lbs ... ALABAMA ... http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2131655/jarran-reed

and

NT Andrew Billings ... 6' 1" ... 311 lbs ....BAYLOR... http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2079903/andrew-billings

Andrew Billings resembles a TT pick.....his next BJ Raji before his decline

NT Andrew Billings

CBS has 5 mock drafts and in 2 of them Rankins would be available when the Packers pick. Nobody really knows. My guess is either Rankins, Billings or Reed, or a combination will be available when TT picks, and he'll be happy to take one of them.

Fritz
03-30-2016, 05:35 AM
CBS has 5 mock drafts and in 2 of them Rankins would be available when the Packers pick. Nobody really knows. My guess is either Rankins, Billings or Reed, or a combination will be available when TT picks, and he'll be happy to take one of them.

This is one of those drafts where I would like to see Thompson trade down and grab an extra third if that scenario is possible. His best picks are truly "best available" such as Rodgers and Jordy Nelson. Sometimes his "need" picks work out (Clinton-Dix), but often they do not (Harrell, Sherrod).

My favorite Ted round is the second. He does some of his best work there.

Carolina_Packer
03-30-2016, 06:26 AM
I voted for Andrew Billings, DT from Baylor, although I'd be happy with Rankins or the best rated DT. Stopping the run is the foundation to winning down and distance battle and creating the pass rush that everyone wants to see make strides. You can move Clay back to OLB, but if the line gets leaky against the run, they will rarely be in situations where they can have an effective pass rush. With the expiring deals for a few of the offensive lineman next year, an OL like Jason Spriggs would be a good idea as well.

BAP, but if team considers DL to be deep in talent, but OL not as much, perhaps you pick an OL first, while hoping the OL fits where he is being selected.

hoosier
03-30-2016, 07:45 AM
This is one of those drafts where I would like to see Thompson trade down and grab an extra third if that scenario is possible. His best picks are truly "best available" such as Rodgers and Jordy Nelson. Sometimes his "need" picks work out (Clinton-Dix), but often they do not (Harrell, Sherrod).

Another way of looking at this is that he's had very good success picking at skill positions and only so so when picking linemen--but even then better on offensive than defensive side. His batting average when drafting DLs and LBs in the first three rounds is right around .200. NB: Harrell and Sherrod were not really need picks, they fit the "it's hard to find good behemoths so draft em when you can" logic.

mraynrand
03-30-2016, 08:00 AM
IMO our top two needs in this draft as they impact Round 1 are: 1) Pass protection; and 2) Pass rush.

I agree. The history of the OL is that it is frequently injured and the backups are subpar (for backups). And outside pass rush is ancient and thin.

call_me_ishmael
03-30-2016, 08:37 AM
I have a strange feeling he trades up to 15ish if Leonard Floyd is there. I have only watched the highlights but man does he look talented and athletic. I am not so sure Floyd will be there at 15 though.

BZnDallas
03-30-2016, 09:29 AM
I voted Billings but don't think he'll be there, but if Vernon Butler is there I take him. And get my ILB in rd 2 or 3. Butler can fill any need on the DL and will make any ILBs job easier. Mountain of a man from a small school and is that type of player TT likes.

woodbuck27
03-30-2016, 09:34 AM
I have a strange feeling he trades up to 15ish if Leonard Floyd is there. I have only watched the highlights but man does he look talented and athletic. I am not so sure Floyd will be there at 15 though.

I'm just now checking out ** a 5 Round Mock and OLB Leonard Floyd goes to Indy at NO. 18.

** Fr. NFL.Com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000648219/article/fiveround-mock-50-cowboys-pluck-myles-jack-derrick-henry

That same Mock gives the PACKERS DT Jarran Reed (Alabama).

NT Andrew Billings goes to Oakland at NO. 14.

DT Sheldon Rankins goes to Buffalo at NO. 19.

In Picks 21 through 26 the teams pick 3 X WR and 2 X CB.

In that mix ...DE Chris Jones goes at NO. 22 to Houston.

woodbuck27
03-30-2016, 09:40 AM

TT might look for a playmaker in Round 1. An impact player that's a game changer.

Otherwise he should pick a prospect that will hopefully add something to either the OL or DL.

Carolina_Packer
03-30-2016, 10:01 AM
TT might look for a playmaker in Round 1. An impact player that's a game changer.

Otherwise he should pick a prospect that will hopefully add something to either the OL or DL.

OL may be least impactful right away, unless needed for injury replacement.

DL is not glamorous, but you sure know when the defense is not stopping the run. A scheme versatile DL who can help stop the run could have a ripple affect, giving the ILB's a cleaner opportunity to make plays, and down and distance that will help the OLB's get home in the pass rush. When we had a leaky DL, our defense looked horrendous. Could part be scheme? I guess so, but players make plays, not schemes. Get the big guys early.

woodbuck27
03-30-2016, 10:23 AM
OL may be least impactful right away, unless needed for injury replacement.

DL is not glamorous, but you sure know when the defense is not stopping the run. A scheme versatile DL who can help stop the run could have a ripple affect, giving the ILB's a cleaner opportunity to make plays, and down and distance that will help the OLB's get home in the pass rush. When we had a leaky DL, our defense looked horrendous. Could part be scheme? I guess so, but players make plays, not schemes. Get the big guys early.

I believe this:

Championship teams have OL's and DL's that have solid depth. The impact of adversity can never be under estimated in terms related to a long playoff run.

Carolina_Packer
03-30-2016, 11:27 AM
This would be a good year to sprinkle in higher profile draft choices instead of having them always be UDFA's, ala Josh Walker, Don Barclay, etc. Granted, it might be a bad value to draft a guy in higher rounds of the draft with no clear cut path to starting. Obviously they want the cap number for backups to be of good value. However, in this year when we've lost Raji, possibly for good, Pennel out for the first four games, and have 3 OL's possibly heading to free agency next year, it might be a good time to take a bigger picture look at adding higher quality depth to the roster. Plus, if injuries on the lines stay true to recent history, the rooks will get some opportunity.

woodbuck27
03-31-2016, 10:22 PM
This would be a good year to sprinkle in higher profile draft choices instead of having them always be UDFA's, ala Josh Walker, Don Barclay, etc. Granted, it might be a bad value to draft a guy in higher rounds of the draft with no clear cut path to starting. Obviously they want the cap number for backups to be of good value. However, in this year when we've lost Raji, possibly for good, Pennel out for the first four games, and have 3 OL's possibly heading to free agency next year, it might be a good time to take a bigger picture look at adding higher quality depth to the roster. Plus, if injuries on the lines stay true to recent history, the rooks will get some opportunity.

Absolutely...I agree with you.

TT should get a lot done with nine picks. I wouldn't at all be surprized though if he trades out of Round 1.

smuggler
03-31-2016, 10:27 PM
I have a good feeling about Billings.

Bretsky
04-01-2016, 08:05 PM
THIS GUY

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/darron-lee?id=2555322

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krStj_YvdQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo7qVHDqi3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o3AxsRtNQQ

call_me_ishmael
04-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Would love that Bretsky!

HarveyWallbangers
04-01-2016, 08:57 PM
I'm estimating the following players will likely be gone before the Packers pick, but feel free to disagree:

Laremy Tunsil, Jalen Ramsey, Joey Bosa, Myles Jack, Jared Goff, DeForest Buckner, Carson Wentz, Ezekiel Elliott, Ronnie Stanley, Vernon Hargreaves, LaQuan Treadwell, Darron lee, Shaq Lawson,
Reggie Ragland, A'Shawn Robinson, Jack Conklin, Mackensie Alexander, Corey Coleman, Will Fuller,
and Josh Doctson.

Who Should TT pick?

Poll to follow.

A few of these guys I'm not convinced will be gone.

Bretsky
04-01-2016, 09:17 PM
A few of these guys I'm not convinced will be gone.

what are your thoughts onmy OSU guy Harv ? You know..it's not like me to pimp a OSU guy coming to GB

wist43
04-01-2016, 10:21 PM
what are your thoughts onmy OSU guy Harv ? You know..it's not like me to pimp a OSU guy coming to GB

I like Lee a lot as the solution to our ILB problem. We already have 2 pluggers for base (Barrington and Ryan), both of whom need to come off the field in nickel and dime subpackages. Lee is the kind of LB that can stay on the field full time, and drafting a sideline to sideline speed LB will make the move of Matthews back to OLB more tolerable.

Other players I can live with in the first round - subject to change before the draft are:

Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama (souring on him... didn't look good at the combine, and has put on some weight)
Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State (liking him more now than when I first looked at him)
Taylor Decker OT, Ohio State
Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor

Guys I don't want at #1 are Nkemdiche and Reed.

Some of those guys will be gone by our pick, but if we came away with one of those guys I'd be okay with it. And if we miss out on Lee in the 1st round, Deion Jones out of LSU in the 2nd round works for me. Most mocks have Jones going lower, but I don't think he'll be there at our 3rd pick.

Bretsky
04-01-2016, 11:19 PM
I like Lee a lot as the solution to our ILB problem. We already have 2 pluggers for base (Barrington and Ryan), both of whom need to come off the field in nickel and dime subpackages. Lee is the kind of LB that can stay on the field full time, and drafting a sideline to sideline speed LB will make the move of Matthews back to OLB more tolerable.

Other players I can live with in the first round - subject to change before the draft are:

Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama (souring on him... didn't look good at the combine, and has put on some weight)
Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State (liking him more now than when I first looked at him)
Taylor Decker OT, Ohio State
Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor

Guys I don't want at #1 are Nkemdiche and Reed.

Some of those guys will be gone by our pick, but if we came away with one of those guys I'd be okay with it. And if we miss out on Lee in the 1st round, Deion Jones out of LSU in the 2nd round works for me. Most mocks have Jones going lower, but I don't think he'll be there at our 3rd pick.

I'd suggest doing the unthinkable with Lee

TRADE UP !

I think he's a baller who can play ILB and OLB as well as stay on the field all four downs and cover.

Carolina_Packer
04-02-2016, 07:43 AM
I was listening to Sirius XM's "Moving the Chains" yesterday and in their mock draft, Pat Kirwan had the Packers taking Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, from OK State. He's almost a Ziggy Ansah clone. With the experiment of putting Datone at OLB (the path of Mike Neal), could this guy come in and play the 5 Technique and provide that extra disruptive force that will take the Packers pass rush from good to great? Hmm...http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2016/3/30/11333708/2016-nfl-draft-is-emmanuel-ogbah-the-ansah

Everyone's talking ILB, DT, TE (not as much now), but the Packers pass rush is not as consistently productive as it could be. I still think part of that would be taken care of with an Andrew Billings type who can two gap if needed, but can also get up field and penetrate. Stopping the run, winning the down and distance battle is critical to having a pass rush.

That said, Ogbah is an intriguing prospect.

Maxie the Taxi
04-02-2016, 08:18 AM
Darron Lee vs Jack Conklin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp7K3yy_zKs

Who would you rather see in green and gold? #43 in Red or #74 in White?

ThunderDan
04-02-2016, 08:34 AM
Reggie Ragland - ILB Alabama

Carolina_Packer
04-02-2016, 08:53 AM
I know you can't base anything off of one Youtube video, but if I were Darron Lee, I wouldn't want that video out there. Sometimes you are not part of the play; it happens. This package did not really show case him in a special way. There were a couple of good block sheds, but nothing really showed nose for the football or play diagnosis. Sometimes he didn't even look like he was going very hard...doh!

You'll never be sorry getting the big guys early in your draft. It would be awesome to have have someone like Conklin as depth, and then they can decide how he measures up to Bakh who is coming up for renewal. Right away that may seem like a wasted pick to some fans, but it's not just about the impact they can have this year, of course. Both tackles have had injury concerns and had to miss games. Would you rather sub in Jack Conklin or Josh Walker?

smuggler
04-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Is Conklin more highly regarded than Decker? I haven't been paying attention much to the 1st round linemen.

smuggler
04-02-2016, 10:38 AM
Not that Decker is a bona-fide first rounder...

Carolina_Packer
04-02-2016, 11:02 AM
http://www.draftseason.com/2016/03/09/head-head-taylor-decker-vs-jack-conklin/ Here's one person who says Conklin is better.

Here's a Football's Future forum thread that adds Spriggs to the discussion. http://www2.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=575797&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

pbmax
04-02-2016, 11:10 AM
I haven't watched Bretsky's clips, but that MSU tape would not encourage me to take Lee in the first round. I don't see Shazier. I see a guy without a position in the Pros.

Now this is not my specialty, projecting to the Pros. I have been wrong before and will be wrong again. But I see a project in that MSU tape position wise.

One good thing is that he is sound in his gap assignments, is willing to take on a blocker to hold a gap and let others make the play. He also plays the field (wide side of field) so he is comfortable in some space. But I don't see an ILB. Maybe Dime backer.

red
04-02-2016, 01:20 PM
yup

not spectacular, but very good all around hard nosed 3 down ILB

reminds me of haha, you watch the tapes and you don't see huge flashy plays, but you see a solid very dependable player who doesn't make mistakes

wist43
04-02-2016, 06:52 PM
Not that Decker is a bona-fide first rounder...

I think he is... I like him a lot better than Conklin. Wouldn't be disappointed at all if the pick was Decker... that said, I don't think he'll be there.

wist43
04-02-2016, 06:59 PM

yup

not spectacular, but very good all around hard nosed 3 down ILB

reminds me of haha, you watch the tapes and you don't see huge flashy plays, but you see a solid very dependable player who doesn't make mistakes

I thought he was a no-brainer too, and expected that he'd likely not be there at our pick.

That said, I've heard more than one report saying he has ballooned up to a sloppy 260. Listening to PFT, he's been sliding down draft boards.

As for what he can do for the Packers - if anything, he needs to shed a few pounds from what was his playing weight at Bama last year. If he's inclined to get even bigger than he was last year - then I would certainly drop him well down my board.

We already have pluggers - what we are lacking that the ILB position is speed, coverage ability, and versatility. Ryan and Barrington are both one-trick ponies, and both are a terrible liability playing in space.

Carolina_Packer
04-02-2016, 10:26 PM
I have a good feeling about Billings.

http://www.ourdailybears.com/baylor-football-recruiting-2013/2013/3/23/4139908/baylor-2013-dt-andrew-billings-breaks-mark-henrys-state-powerlifting-record

Check out this article from when Billings was coming out of high school in TX. He was a man child of strength, and now has three more years of experience to go with that strength. He could become another Vince Wilfork, with even more up field skills.

Carolina_Packer
04-02-2016, 10:32 PM
I thought he was a no-brainer too, and expected that he'd likely not be there at our pick.

That said, I've heard more than one report saying he has ballooned up to a sloppy 260. Listening to PFT, he's been sliding down draft boards.

As for what he can do for the Packers - if anything, he needs to shed a few pounds from what was his playing weight at Bama last year. If he's inclined to get even bigger than he was last year - then I would certainly drop him well down my board.

We already have pluggers - what we are lacking that the ILB position is speed, coverage ability, and versatility. Ryan and Barrington are both one-trick ponies, and both are a terrible liability playing in space.

Wist, would you be happy to get either Decker or Billings at 27 and then Deion Jones in the 2nd round? Something I read today said that Conklin is way more versatile as far as being able to play LT or RT, while some consider Decker to only be a RT.

Carolina_Packer
04-03-2016, 07:14 AM
Here's a collection of Packer mock drafts in one place. A lot of Andrew Billings...I like it. http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/green-bay-packers-mock-draft-shaq-lawson-vernon-butler-andrew-billings-030916

Of course there are some in the article who predict Reggie Ragland. Is he a three down linebacker, or do you have to take him off the field in subs? Here's one opinion that says the Packers should stay away from Ragland, and if what he's saying is true, I guess I'd agree that someone like Billings or another NT would be more valuable to take first. Gotta control the line of scrimmage and stop the run first.

https://lombardiave.com/2016/04/01/packers-2016-draft-avoid-reggie-ragland/

mraynrand
04-03-2016, 12:21 PM
The ILB discussion cracks me up. People want a 3-down thumper who can cover TEs and Running Backs. Good luck with that. What are there, maybe 5-10 in all the NFL? Good luck finding that at the bottom of the first. I wanted Shazier a couple years ago and the Packers didn't suck enough to get him. But even he struggles shedding blocks and tackling on running downs. Packers play nickel most of the time anyway. Just get a good larger defensive back who can tackle to 'replace' Hayward and you're much better off than trying to find the magical ILB who doesn't exist or isn't remotely available.

George Cumby
04-03-2016, 12:50 PM
^ Right. That's why I'd like to see him grab the best big body DT available. A force in the middle soaking up blockers will make Ryan and Barrington better.

The guard situation will be solved in the fourth.

OT in the second?

Fritz
04-03-2016, 12:53 PM
The ILB discussion cracks me up. People want a 3-down thumper who can cover TEs and Running Backs. Good luck with that. What are there, maybe 5-10 in all the NFL? Good luck finding that at the bottom of the first. I wanted Shazier a couple years ago and the Packers didn't suck enough to get him. But even he struggles shedding blocks and tackling on running downs. Packers play nickel most of the time anyway. Just get a good larger defensive back who can tackle to 'replace' Hayward and you're much better off than trying to find the magical ILB who doesn't exist or isn't remotely available.

I believe in unicorns.

red
04-03-2016, 04:32 PM
^ Right. That's why I'd like to see him grab the best big body DT available. A force in the middle soaking up blockers will make Ryan and Barrington better.

The guard situation will be solved in the fourth.

OT in the second?

no, no d- linemen in the first 3 rounds

d-linemen drafted by TT in the first 3 rounds

KHYRI THORNTON- Massive bust
datone jones- at this point after 3 seasons, BUST. had to be moved to OLB to get him on the field
Jerel Worthy- BUST
mike neal- bust as a d-lineman, was an OK OLB
raji- average at best never came close to living up to the high pick
justin harrell- massive bust

3 of those clowns were first round picks
2 were second rounders
and one worthless third

Maxie the Taxi
04-03-2016, 05:06 PM
no, no d- linemen in the first 3 rounds

d-linemen drafted by TT in the first 3 rounds

KHYRI THORNTON- Massive bust
datone jones- at this point after 3 seasons, BUST. had to be moved to OLB to get him on the field
Jerel Worthy- BUST
mike neal- bust as a d-lineman, was an OK OLB
raji- average at best never came close to living up to the high pick
justin harrell- massive bust

3 of those clowns were first round picks
2 were second rounders
and one worthless thirdHe's due.

wist43
04-03-2016, 08:05 PM
Wist, would you be happy to get either Decker or Billings at 27 and then Deion Jones in the 2nd round? Something I read today said that Conklin is way more versatile as far as being able to play LT or RT, while some consider Decker to only be a RT.

I'd be fine with Decker or Billings... and I think you have that backward, the big question on Conklin is whether or not he can play LT - I don't think he can. I think he is a canned RT all the way. I like Decker much more as a LT.

Deion Jones in the 2nd?? I'd be okay with that - I think the guy can play. Still have Matt Judon and Jatavis Brown on my wish list too. Judon is projected as a 4th rounder.

There's a lot of depth through the first 2-3 rounds... I wouldn't panic on position.