PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie Hillman

HarveyWallbangers
03-30-2016, 12:26 AM
It seems a little strange after resigning Starks, but TT is likely kicking the tires on this one.

According to USA Today's Tom Pelissero, the Packers have been "poking around" free agent Ronnie Hillman.

Pelissero acknowledges frugal GM Ted Thompson is "likely done" in free agency after signing Jared Cook, but Hillman could go on Green Bay's radar later in the offseason. The Packers did re-sign James Starks, and Eddie Lacy's P90X offseason regimen appears to be going smoothly. Hillman has drawn next to no free agent interest after an underwhelming 2015 campaign in Denver.

George Cumby
03-30-2016, 01:34 AM
Another stick in Lacy's ribs?

Pugger
03-30-2016, 04:43 AM
If we signed Hillman wouldn't we lose the compensatory pick for Hayward? If so Ted will most likely pass and draft a RB next month.

Fritz
03-30-2016, 05:36 AM
It wouldn't seem like a good move unless you have a crystal ball and thus can predict injuries.

Draft and develop, Ted!

Guiness
03-30-2016, 08:13 AM
With the two vets and Crockett, it doesn't seem like there's room for Hillman. Vet minimum and a TC invite? Add to the Rolodex as an injury replacement? This kind of a visit does seem a little out of character for TT.

pbmax
03-30-2016, 08:33 AM
I think that report itself is a couple days old and I think Pelissero's source is less certain. I posted this in another thread, but I think he was looking for Starks alternatives.

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 8h8 hours ago
With Cook, #Packers hit the over on vet FA signings, so they're likely done. But they've been poking around on RBs, including Ronnie Hillman

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?28571-Packers-2016-Offseason&p=879868&viewfull=1#post879868

If they were looking at RBs en masse, I think they were preparing a plan for not having Starks. Not to say it doesn't happen, they could still use speed and pass catching ability, but I doubt its top of the list.

woodbuck27
03-30-2016, 09:56 AM
It seems a little strange after resigning Starks, but TT is likely kicking the tires on this one.

Ronnie Hillman is no slouch at RB. He'll be signed somewhere like New England.

I've liked watching him play and he had a decent 2015 Season.

He's still young at 24 years.

He had just under 1000 all purpose yards including 863 on the ground (4.2 Yard Avg.) and played in 16 games. He holds onto the ball.

ALSO weigh this in:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8694/cj-anderson

Patler
03-30-2016, 12:37 PM
If we signed Hillman wouldn't we lose the compensatory pick for Hayward? If so Ted will most likely pass and draft a RB next month.

It depends on when he would be signed, and Denver's earlier action/inaction, if I am correct in my understanding that the June1/July 22 critical dates still exist

HarveyWallbangers
03-30-2016, 08:02 PM
It depends on when he would be signed, and Denver's earlier action/inaction, if I am correct in my understanding that the June1/July 22 critical dates still exist

I thought those were moved up, but I could be wrong.

woodbuck27
03-31-2016, 10:18 PM
I really wish that TT would go for RB Ronnie Hillman.

He's looked good whenever I've seen him play.

hoosier
04-01-2016, 07:39 AM
Ronnie Hillman is no slouch at RB. He'll be signed somewhere like New England.

Don't sell him short, Woodie, he's a tremendous slouch.

woodbuck27
04-01-2016, 01:26 PM

I'd like to see him wearing Green and Gold.

woodbuck27
04-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Compare Ronnie Hillman's 2015 Season Stat's and age:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7440/ronnie-Hillman

To James Starks 2015 Season Stat's and age:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5823/james-starks

Patler
04-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Compare Ronnie Hillman's 2015 Season Stat's and age:

To James Starks 2015 Season Stat's and age:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5823/james-starks

OK. I would take Starks.

Carolina_Packer
04-01-2016, 03:33 PM

Ty Webb: [to Al Czervik] Hey, don't put yourself down. You're not, uh... you're not... you're not good. You stink.

One of the most underrated moments of Caddyshack. Chevy Chase could deliver a line back in the day, especially in Fletch.

hoosier
04-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Ty Webb: [to Al Czervik] Hey, don't put yourself down. You're not, uh... you're not... you're not good. You stink.

One of the most underrated moments of Caddyshack. Chevy Chase could deliver a line back in the day, especially in Fletch.

You do drugs, Carolina?

Carolina_Packer
04-02-2016, 07:23 AM
You do drugs, Carolina?

Everyday!

Pugger
04-02-2016, 07:44 AM
OK. I would take Starks.

Even tho Starks doesn't have the mileage most 30 year old RBs have Hillman is younger and his average yds per carry is almost the same. I wonder why he is still available.

Patler
04-02-2016, 08:32 AM
Even tho Starks doesn't have the mileage most 30 year old RBs have Hillman is younger and his average yds per carry is almost the same. I wonder why he is still available.

For a smallish, fast back, his yds/carry average is mediocre at best. Yard/reception average is low. He has been a consistent fumbler. If you can bring him in on a veteran minimum salary cor a look, fine; but I wouldn't invest much in him.

Maxie the Taxi
04-02-2016, 09:08 AM
There are alternatives in the draft.

TYLER ERVIN, Round 4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4eLC2APXRc

WENDELL SMALLWOOD, Round 6? (Poor video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xwvy883nhM

gbgary
04-02-2016, 01:55 PM
but can hillman catch the ball? maybe that's the attraction.

woodbuck27
04-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Everyday!

Me too to keep me moving !

If there' a Senior not needing any drugs. That person is a rare specimen and likely homeless. :-)

woodbuck27
04-02-2016, 03:36 PM
but can hillman catch the ball? maybe that's the attraction.

He's sure handed, not one to fumble.

The thing I was thinking is that it might be delicate in terms of the Packer locker room and bringing in another RB now that TT has awarded James Starks with his new contract.

hoosier
04-02-2016, 08:17 PM
Everyday!

Good....So what's the problem?

Carolina_Packer
04-02-2016, 10:13 PM
Good....So what's the problem?

I don't know!

Patler
04-02-2016, 11:07 PM
He's sure handed, not one to fumble.

I don't think that is the case, Woodbuck. 8 fumbles in 520 touches, and consistently through his career.

HarveyWallbangers
04-02-2016, 11:13 PM
I don't think that is the case, Woodbuck. 8 fumbles in 520 touches, and consistently through his career.

About the same rate as James Starks.

Maxie the Taxi
04-03-2016, 11:34 AM
The average fumble rate for the top-10 rushers in the NFL last season was 88.6, which is the same as saying the running back fumbled once every 88.6 offensive touches. Anything above 140.0 fumble rate is generally considered a strong number among running backs.

Last year, Nebraska's Ameer Abdullah had the highest fumble rate (35.4) in the draft class and his ball security was an issue for him as a rookie with the Detroit Lions. He fumbled four times on 168 offensive touches for a fumble rate of 42.0 in 2015.

Below is the career fumble rate for running back prospects in the 2016 NFL Draft class, starting with the highest (worst).

39.9 – Kenyan Drake, Alabama
43.3 – Alex Collins, Arkansas
44.0 – Daniel Lasco, California
45.6 – C.J. Prosise, Notre Dame
61.2 – Josh Ferguson, Illinois
61.6 – Wendell Smallwood, West Virginia
63.5 – Kenneth Dixon, Louisiana Tech
63.8 – Tre Madden, USC
71.1 – Devontae Booker, Utah
72.0 – Jonathan Williams, Arkansas
104.1 – DeAndre Washington, Texas Tech
111.8 – Jordan Howard, Indiana
123.0 – Tyler Ervin, San Jose State
123.8 – Derrick Henry, Alabama
128.8 – Tra Carson, Texas A&M
138.5 – Keith Marshall, Georgia
140.4 – Paul Perkins, UCLA
162.5 – Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State
169.7 – Aaron Green, TCU
Kelvin Taylor, Florida (no fumbles in college)

Source: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25496353/nfl-draft-running-back-fumble-rates

Patler
04-03-2016, 12:30 PM
About the same rate as James Starks.

Huge difference between Hillman and Starks. Hillman has fumbled at a consistent rate so far in his career. On the other hand, Starks fumbled at a rate of one every 90 to 100 or so touches until the end of last year when he had four fumbles in four games, just 42 touches. I suspect there was a reason we are not aware of, or Starks just had a period in which his focus waned. If it continues, he is done. But, for his career excluding those four games he is not the fumbler Hillman has been.

That said, Hillman can improve, too

gbgary
04-03-2016, 05:05 PM
well if he can catch then i'm all for it. the o needs all the help it can get. a pass catching rb can take a lot of pressure off rodgers and the other receivers be it wr or te.

HarveyWallbangers
04-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Huge difference between Hillman and Starks. Hillman has fumbled at a consistent rate so far in his career. On the other hand, Starks fumbled at a rate of one every 90 to 100 or so touches until the end of last year when he had four fumbles in four games, just 42 touches. I suspect there was a reason we are not aware of, or Starks just had a period in which his focus waned. If it continues, he is done. But, for his career excluding those four games he is not the fumbler Hillman has been.

That said, Hillman can improve, too

Hillman fumbled four times in just 162 touches in limited playing time his first two years.
Hillman's only fumbled four times in 357 touches in the last two years.

It looks like he has already improved.

Patler
04-03-2016, 10:55 PM
He had 3 in 231 this year. I think he still has a lot to prove.

HarveyWallbangers
04-04-2016, 12:10 AM
He had 3 in 231 this year. I think he still has a lot to prove.

If 3 in 231 makes him fumble prone, then almost all of the top RBs from last year are fumble prone.

Where does that fumble rate put him among the top 30-40 RBs last year?

Patler
04-04-2016, 01:07 AM
If 3 in 231 makes him fumble prone, then almost all of the top RBs from last year are fumble prone.

Where does that fumble rate put him among the top 30-40 RBs last year?

Don't know and don't care because his stats as a runner and as a receiver don't excite me anyway. Coupled with worse than I would like in ball security, he doesn't interest me at all. As I said initially, for a smallish, fast back, his yds/carry average is mediocre at best. Yard/reception average is low. He has been a consistent fumbler. If you can bring him in on a veteran minimum salary for a look, fine; but I wouldn't invest much in him.

It was never just the fumbles for me. I brought that up only in response to Woodbuck's comment that he is sure handed and not prone to fumbles. Wherever 3/231 puts him, I wouldn't call it sure handed, and not prone to fumbling. Ahman Green fumbled at about that rate, and he was considered a fumbler who was tolerated because he was such a good runner and receiver.

woodbuck27
04-04-2016, 09:09 AM

This LINK will inform y'all that the Denver Broncos may be bringing Ronnie Hillman back:

" Denver's Mike Klis reports the Broncos are interested in re-signing free agent RB Ronnie Hillman...Denver has never seemed committed to the idea of Anderson as the lead back. Klis reports "several other teams" are interested in Hillman as well. The Packers were linked with him last week. . "

In the "All's Well That Ends Well" Dept."

Ronnie Hillman fumbles 1.54 % of the times he touches the ball and his team lost 3 fumbles in his 4 season career with Denver.

James Starks suffered the Packers 3 fumbles lost in the 2015 season. This might have simply been "just one of those years" and fumbles.

In his four season career with Denver (47 games);Ronnie Hillman's fumbles have been lost a total of 3 times.

On the receiving end; Ronnie Hillman has had 67 receptions for 431 yards (6.43 Y/C).

mraynrand
04-04-2016, 09:45 AM
61.6 – Wendell Smallwood, West Virginia

an unfortunate name. Wonder if he has small hands and is fumble-prone.

Carolina_Packer
04-04-2016, 10:31 AM
an unfortunate name. Wonder if he has small hands and is fumble-prone.

It doesn't help that they named him Wendell, either. An old-school name will almost certain exacerbate, I mean, call attention to a name like Smallwood. He can at least take some satisfaction that he wasn't given the first name of Harold.

George Cumby
04-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Or Richard.