PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger has emergency appendectomy, to miss opener

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Roethlisberger has emergency appendectomy, to miss opener
By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had an emergency appendectomy after becoming ill before practice Sunday and will miss Thursday night's season opener against Miami.

Coach Bill Cowher said Roethlisberger will be evaluated each week, and he is not certain how long the quarterback will be out.

Charlie Batch, the former Lions starter who was 2-0 as a fill-in last season when Roethlisberger hurt his knee, will start against the Dolphins in the NFL's first game of the season.

The appendix attack is yet another medical setback for Roethlisberger, who nearly died in a June 12 motorcycle accident only to make a remarkably fast recovery. He missed no practice time during training camp and played better in the preseason than he did a year ago before leading the Steelers to their first Super Bowl victory in 26 years.

Roethlisberger missed four games last season because of knee injuries, one that required surgery, and injured his right thumb late in the season. He later said he broke it, though the Steelers never have confirmed that, but he missed no playing time because of that injury.

Kiwon
09-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Bad timing, but at least no motorcycle was involved this time.

red
09-03-2006, 06:40 PM
man, this guys having the bad mojo that brett had a couple years ago

justanotherpackfan
09-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Alright, lets hear it. Who has Big Ben in fantasy football?

]{ilr]3
09-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Alright, lets hear it. Who has Big Ben in fantasy football?

I got Miami's Defense! :mrgreen:

gbgary
09-03-2006, 08:03 PM
he'll miss more than the opener. i'll bet he misses at least two games...maybe three or four.

]{ilr]3
09-03-2006, 08:05 PM
I read an article on RotoWorld about this type of illness and most players who have it miss 2 weeks and occasionally 3 weeks.

BallHawk
09-03-2006, 08:31 PM
{ilr]3]I got Miami's Defense! :mrgreen:

So do I. Cheers :mrgreen:

I do wish Ben a speedy recovery, though.