PDA

View Full Version : Packers Sign Lerentee McCray

Striker
04-18-2016, 04:07 PM
The Green Bay Packers have brought in another outside free agent.

The Packers have signed former Denver outside linebacker Lerentee McCray, a NFL source confirmed. The fourth-year linebacker first announced on Twitter Monday afternoon that he’s joined the Packers after spending his first three NFL seasons with the Broncos.

McCray, 25, has 21 tackles, 1½ sacks and a forced fumble in 24 regular-season games over the past two seasons. The 6-foot-3, 249-pound linebacker, who spent his rookie season on injured reserve with an ankle injury, received a $17,000 signing bonus to sign with Denver after going undrafted out of Florida.

McCray played 353 total snaps for the Super Bowl champions this past season, including 234 on special teams. The Broncos didn’t tender McCray a contract as a restricted free agent, so he won’t count against the compensatory equation.

The Packers were looking for another outside rusher with only four full-time outside linebackers (Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, Nick Perry and Jayrone Elliott) on the offseason roster.

Ted's spending spree continues.

KYPack
04-18-2016, 05:08 PM
I know everybody hates Neal, but I thought he warranted a return shot.

Guess not.

pbmax
04-18-2016, 06:02 PM
I'll barely recognize the team next year.

I wonder what is pushing Neal away? Does he have another offer? Another pot bust?

George Cumby
04-18-2016, 07:41 PM
So is THIS a free agency signing?

(P.s.: I like Neal)

Teamcheez1
04-18-2016, 08:19 PM

(P.s.: I like Neal)

I tend to agree with you, but why is nobody in the NFL signing Neal?

Are we going to read that he is about to be suspended by the NFL for PED's?

Patler
04-18-2016, 09:29 PM
I wonder what is pushing Neal away? Does he have another offer? Another pot bust?

I tend to agree with you, but why is nobody in the NFL signing Neal?

Are we going to read that he is about to be suspended by the NFL for PED's?

Maybe there is something to the Al Jezeera report from last year, that Neal is connected to Charlie Sly of the Guyer Institute. Or maybe teams, including GB, are concerned there might be something to it. They also implicated Peppers, Matthews, Peyton Manning and others. Peppers, Matthews and Manning were very vocal in denying it. Neal basically said he wasn't going to talk about it.

"The report alleged Neal was Sly’s entry into the Packers’ locker room. Neal attended Merrillville High in northwest Indiana, about an hour from Sly’s high school. Sly alleged he was friends with Neal, saying in the documentary he spent six weeks in Green Bay last season. During that time, Sly said, he spoke with roughly 25 players and directed “10 or 12” to the steroid Delta 2."

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2015/12/27/packers-deny-allegations-drug-use/77894770/

Patler
04-18-2016, 11:14 PM

Not for the TT critics. McCray would have been a restricted free agent, but Denver did not tender him.

Fritz
04-19-2016, 06:44 AM
Sounds like this will buff up the special teams.

mraynrand
04-19-2016, 08:09 AM
Maybe there is something to the Al Jezeera report from last year, that Neal is connected to Charlie Sly of the Guyer Institute. Or maybe teams, including GB, are concerned there might be something to it. They also implicated Peppers, Matthews, Peyton Manning and others. Peppers, Matthews and Manning were very vocal in denying it. Neal basically said he wasn't going to talk about it.

Nice pickup Patler. Those alternative therapy and anti-aging institutes can be tremendous scams, but it looks like they are also fronts for 'banned' substances.

pbmax
04-19-2016, 08:40 AM
Yep, I forgot about that. Neal's involvement goes back to Purdue, while the other Packers could plausible say they had only met him recently and through Neal.

I bet the NFL investigation will have scared a few teams away from committing money.

Maxie the Taxi
04-19-2016, 09:28 AM
I don't get this signing. The guy seems to be injury prone.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/lerentee-mccray?id=2539662

McCray played in eight games on special teams in 2008, making five tackles on the season. He only played three games the following year, again being credited with five stops as a reserve before receiving a medical redshirt. McCray got in 10 games as a reserve in 2010 (six tackles, one for loss) and nine in 2011 (five starts, 24 tackles, 7.5 for loss, 1.5 sacks, three pass break-ups), but missed seven games over those two seasons due to shoulder and ankle maladies. As a senior, McCray recorded 25 tackles (4.5 for loss), three sacks, and an interception.

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/Lerentee-McCray/53faad75-f7fb-4856-b2c6-087a9d81e21d

McCray, 6-foot-2, 246-pound, fourth-year player out of the University of Florida, entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Denver Broncos on April 30, 2013. He spent his rookie season on injured reserve after hurting his ankle in the preseason finale. Over the past two seasons, McCray has played in 24 regular-season games, recording 19 tackles, 1.5 sacks, a pass defensed, a forced fumble and four special teams tackles. He has also played in four postseason games.

Patler
04-19-2016, 10:06 AM
I don't get this signing. The guy seems to be injury prone.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/lerentee-mccray?id=2539662

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/Lerentee-McCray/53faad75-f7fb-4856-b2c6-087a9d81e21d

Probably just a camp body that one of their scouts liked at one time, so they brought him in to have an extended look. GB tends to be a bit fluid with 4 or 5 roster spots through out the off season, and releases a couple through out May & June and before the start of training camp.

Patler
04-19-2016, 10:16 AM
For what it is worth, McGinn had McCray listed as one of twelve "others" after listing his top 10 outside linebackers in the 2013 draft.

George Cumby
04-19-2016, 11:14 AM
From PFT Comments:

"75broncofan says:
Apr 18, 2016 10:33 PM
bronco fan here…mcCray is a very solid player…if we weren’t so deep he would’ve been a starter…I would not be surprised if he starts for you..you got lucky with him imho"

Fritz
04-19-2016, 02:11 PM
Another little known fact: He is the grandson of the great Sheila McCrae.

pbmax
04-19-2016, 11:54 PM
It'd be more fun if he was descended from the great Shelia E.

pbmax
04-21-2016, 11:33 AM
Packers News ‏@PGPackersNews 2h2 hours ago
The #Packers gave Lerentee McCray $125,000 in bonuses as part of the contract he signed earlier this week.

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 2h2 hours ago
New at #Packers Blog: New OLB Lerentee McCray will receive $125,000 in bonuses as part of one-year, $800K deal

Maxie the Taxi
04-21-2016, 11:37 AM
Packers News ‏@PGPackersNews 2h2 hours ago
The #Packers gave Lerentee McCray $125,000 in bonuses as part of the contract he signed earlier this week.

Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 2h2 hours ago
New at #Packers Blog: New OLB Lerentee McCray will receive $125,000 in bonuses as part of one-year, $800K dealDoes that mean they are regarding him as more than just a camp body?

pbmax
04-21-2016, 11:41 AM
Does that mean they are regarding him as more than just a camp body?

Would seem so, though it still not an expensive mistake. But it would seem he had other suitors. Guys who do not get tenders do not usually get up front money.

Maxie the Taxi
04-21-2016, 11:50 AM
What I suspected. This signing, along with Joe Thomas, kind of makes me think TT might not draft Ragland even if he's available at 27.

pbmax
04-21-2016, 11:59 AM
What I suspected. This signing, along with Joe Thomas, kind of makes me think TT might not draft Ragland even if he's available at 27.

Thompson said they though he has upside on the outside.

Maxie the Taxi
04-21-2016, 12:36 PM
Thompson said they though he has upside on the outside.Hmmmmm.

ThunderDan
04-21-2016, 01:57 PM

I think if Ragland is there at 27, TT is smiling all the way to the phone to tell Goodell we'll take him.