PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line

Brando19
09-03-2006, 08:25 PM
"Lori Nickel, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski is expecting results from the team's offensive line. "We're not going to make excuses for who is in the game or youth. We got what we got, and we've got to get them ready to play. And that's our job as coaches to do that," said Jagodzinski. The Packers will start two rookie guards with OG Tony Moll and OG Jason Spitz."

This article was just posted on http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

motife
09-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Tony Palmer, guard picked up from the Rams :

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/mugs/2006/palmer.jpg

Claimed on waivers were guard Tony Palmer, from St. Louis; safety Charlie Peprah, from the New York Giants; and cornerback Jarret Bush, from Carolina. Peprah was a fifth-round pick, Palmer a seventh-round pick and Bush a rookie free agent.

With only eight offensive linemen on their roster the Packers decided to take a look at the inexperienced Palmer rather than bring in a veteran. The 6-foot-2, 330-pound guard from the University of Missouri saw only limited action during the exhibition season.

It's unclear whether the Packers claimed simply to bring him in for a workout or if they think he's someone that can help them down the road.

"They wouldn't claim him just to bring him in," said Palmer's agent, Peter Schaffer. "He's a great young man with a great family. He has a lot of talent. Six teams wanted to put him on their practice squad. It's an indication the kid has talent."

Though the Rams cut Palmer, they clearly wanted him back on their practice squad and thought of him as someone they could develop. After acquiring veteran guard Adam Goldberg in a trade with Minnesota, they appear to have run into a numbers problem.

"We'd love to have him back," Rams head coach Scott Linehan said Saturday after cutting Palmer. "He's going to develop into, I think, a real fine offensive guard in the NFL."

wist43
09-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Moll got ragdolled pretty easily against Tennessee. I don't see how the offense can even function unless they get a vet in there that can stabalize the line.

It's going to be a very long season.

BEARMAN
09-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Your rookie "O" line is on a head on colision with the Monsters of the Midway ! With the way they have played in preseason, farve has looked like a deer in the headlights ! I wish NO one to be hurt in the play of this game, but farve is gonna go down if you don't address your "O" line issues. Better get rogers ready... LOL

GO BEARS !

flipnout91
09-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Your rookie "O" line is on a head on colision with the Monsters of the Midway ! With the way they have played in preseason, Favre has looked like a deer in the headlights ! I wish NO one to be hurt in the play of this game, but Favre is gonna go down if you don't address your "O" line issues. Better get rogers ready... LOL

GO BEARS !His numbers in preseason have looked better than your two QB's. And your starter hasn't one ten games in his career.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Your rookie "O" line is on a head on colision with the Monsters of the Midway ! With the way they have played in preseason, Favre has looked like a deer in the headlights ! I wish NO one to be hurt in the play of this game, but Favre is gonna go down if you don't address your "O" line issues. Better get rogers ready... LOL

GONG! Get him out of here.

BEARMAN
09-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Harve, what is your problem, I am NOT whom you think I am, so stop, please.

GO BEARS !

oregonpackfan
09-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Bearman,

In the 15 or so years the Packers have had Favre as their starting QB, how many starting QB's have the Bears had in the same period? Is it 25, 30...?

Take your paw and start tapping the ground how many QB's the Bears have had. Yeah, it might take awhile....

OPF

BEARMAN
09-04-2006, 12:38 AM
That may be true OPF, but what has that got to do with the question at hand? Farve is old, slow, not nearly as mobile and not making wise decisions. You add all that up, with a rookie "O" line, it spells "ouch" for farve.
OK, ok, Farve has "had" our number for along time, but those days are OVER. With the caliber of players you have now, rooks and vets, your team is on the way down, not up. It is going to be several, 3 to 5, years untill you regroup, and start that climb up out the NFCN basement. Now, in those 3 to 5 years, as DA BEARS are the NFCN champs, I will be reminding you of how you 'used" to be on top but no longer are.

GO BEARS !

Willard
09-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Actually Favre is not really slow in the pocket. He has at times looked uncomfortable behind his young OL this preseason though. The exception was against Atlanta when he ran a traditional WCO to perfection. He looked extremely sharp. Hopefully, MM & Favre have a good gameplan to get rid of the rock in a hurry because the bears' DL is tough. Last year the Pack shredded the bears' heralded D for a lot of yards, but had way too many turnovers. In the end it was the bears that made the big plays....last year. If the Pack protects the rock and wins the turnover battle they win. That means keep the monsters off Favre's back no matter what it takes.

HarveyWallbangers
09-04-2006, 12:54 AM
Honestly, it pains me to say it because living in Minnesota I dislike the Vikings more than the Bears, but I've instilled the Vikings as my division favorites.

Rebuilding doesn't take 5 years anymore. Not with FA. Maybe it took the Bears that long, but it shouldn't take more than 3 years. By the 4th year, you better be contending. Those rookies that a rebuilding team drafted start becoming FAs at years 4 and 5. This is year 2 for the Packers. I'd like to see them show improvement this year. Next year, they can compete for the division. 2008 Super Bowl, home boy.

woodbuck27
09-04-2006, 01:15 AM

GO BEARS !

Who's Rogers? :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! FAITH !!

wpony
09-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Bearman what you dont understand this is in greenbay I dont know if you are old enough to remember back to the old days if the pack could beat the bears in GB they had a great season no matter what else happened you dont know what intangibles might happen no matter what happens lets just hope for no injuries on either side and a fun game and for us a VICTORY LOL GO PACK GO

BEARMAN
09-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Reliving the "past" will not help your team now ! What happened 10, 12, 15 years ago has no bearing on what will happen to your team on the 10th. You have almost no one left on your team that played way back then(excluding farve). I just hope your team("O" line) is ready for some smash mouth football, DA BEARS are ! Our "D" is gonna shool your "O" line as they sack farve, 4, 5, 6 times. By then farve will be throwing INT's just to stay alive. What happened 10 years ago will not help them then !

GO BEARS !

Willard
09-04-2006, 01:56 AM
I just hope your team("O" line) is ready for some smash mouth football, DA BEARS are !

I share your hopes, bearman. If our youngsters come to play the Pack will shred the bears' heralded D just like last year. The difference will be turnovers. Whoever wins the turnover battle wins this game, just like last year. Will Favre throw 4 picks again? I doubt it.

wpony
09-04-2006, 02:10 AM
Have faith in the intagibles of LAMBEAU FIELD if the line plays half way decent it will be close it will all come down to the runing game and farve and maybe after this weekend jennings could be top reciever in the league ?

Kiwon
09-04-2006, 04:27 AM
Bearman, on paper the Bears defense should dominate, but this is football and that oblong pigskin can bounce in some very strange ways....

Don't count your cubs before they are born.

Terry
09-04-2006, 07:06 AM
Bearman,

Take your paw and start tapping the ground how many QB's the Bears have had.

That definitely gets the line of the day award.

the_idle_threat
09-04-2006, 07:25 AM
LOL @ "GONG!"

MasonCrosby
09-04-2006, 08:05 AM
Reliving the "past" will not help your team now ! What happened 10, 12, 15 years ago has no bearing on what will happen to your team on the 10th. You have almost no one left on your team that played way back then(excluding Favre). I just hope your team("O" line) is ready for some smash mouth football, DA BEARS are ! Our "D" is gonna shool your "O" line as they sack Favre, 4, 5, 6 times. By then Favre will be throwing INT's just to stay alive. What happened 10 years ago will not help them then !

GO BEARS !

at least we'll only need to sack Rex Glassman once to knock him out of the game...

retailguy
09-04-2006, 09:37 AM
at least we'll only need to sack Rex Glassman once to knock him out of the game...

that might be easier said than done with the DL we've fielded in 3 of 4 pre-season games.

red
09-04-2006, 11:04 AM
imo, we have entered a scary cycle with our o-line

we're starting 2 rookie guards and scott wells in the middle. rookie linemen usually take 2 or 3 years to develop into decent nfl linemen.

at the pace tauch and clifton are going, in 2 or 3 years we will be searching for their replacements. and tt has kind of proven that he likes to go the rookie route when replacing linemen

so best case senario if the rookie guards work out is in 2 years we will have a pretty solid middle of the line, but have two rookies on the outside. and by the time the new tackles become decent nfl linemen, it will be new contract time for the guys in the middle. and if they are good enough, and will cost too much, then TT might just let them walk. and we would have to start over in the middle

also remember we have almost no real depth on the 0-line, so if someone goes down we are really screwed

now if in a year or two, rodgers takes over at QB and gets stuck behind a horrible line, then we are going to have the same problems that the lions and texans had. you have a good looking young QB, that just gets the sh't knocked out of him his first couple of years and loses all confidence

but the real scary thing to me, and i've said it before, is that TT really seems to me to undervalue the importance of the o-line, and he feels he can just plug whoever he wants into the line and have it work fine

Scott Campbell
09-04-2006, 11:08 AM
.at the pace tauch and clifton are going, in 2 or 3 years we will be searching for their replacements. and tt has kind of proven that he likes to go the rookie route when replacing linemen

I think the hope is now that Colledge will be Cliffy's replacement. And he won't be a rookie by then.

OS PA
09-04-2006, 11:12 AM
imo, we have entered a scary cycle with our o-line

we're starting 2 rookie guards and scott wells in the middle. rookie linemen usually take 2 or 3 years to develop into decent nfl linemen.

at the pace tauch and clifton are going, in 2 or 3 years we will be searching for their replacements. and tt has kind of proven that he likes to go the rookie route when replacing linemen

so best case senario if the rookie guards work out is in 2 years we will have a pretty solid middle of the line, but have two rookies on the outside. and by the time the new tackles become decent nfl linemen, it will be new contract time for the guys in the middle. and if they are good enough, and will cost too much, then TT might just let them walk. and we would have to start over in the middle

also remember we have almost no real depth on the 0-line, so if someone goes down we are really screwed

now if in a year or two, rodgers takes over at QB and gets stuck behind a horrible line, then we are going to have the same problems that the lions and texans had. you have a good looking young QB, that just gets the sh't knocked out of him his first couple of years and loses all confidence

but the real scary thing to me, and i've said it before, is that TT really seems to me to undervalue the importance of the o-line, and he feels he can just plug whoever he wants into the line and have it work fine

3 Years from now our line should look like this.

LT Colledge - Should be a seamless plug in for Clifton.
LG Spitz - Will have developed into a fine guard
C Wells - Savvy veteran with a few more years under his belt he should be the rock of our O-line.
RG Palmer - I think Palmer will develop into a premiere run blocking guard and will fortify our strong side.
RT - ?

Right Tackle is our only question mark 3 years from now. Tausch should be able to handle another 5 years considering how solid he is now, but i'd like to see us draft his replacement next year.

Whoever says we aren't in rebuilding mode needs to look no farther than the O-line.

Rebuilding mode doesn't mean that we are not looking to win, it means that we are looking more at 3 years from now than at the now of things.

Rodgers is looking more and more like he'll have a decent team to win with in the post-Favre era.

red
09-04-2006, 11:23 AM
i'd say thats a pretty huge question mark at right guard too

you're saying a guy, that was a late round pick this year, who played and showed very little in preseason, and was cut, is a lock to be a good staring guard in 3 years?

we don't even know if he'll still be on the team in the morning at this point

colledge, looked completely lost and not ready for the nfl, there's a chance he might not ever "get it", no matter what position he's at

and remember, we've already ditched one rebuilding effort, remember last year? whos's to say we don't dump the guys starting in the middle next year, and start over again, with more rookies? you have to pick guys, and stick with them, so they learn how to play together

Scott Campbell
09-04-2006, 11:27 AM
colledge, looked completely lost and not ready for the nfl, there's a chance he might not ever "get it", no matter what position he's at

True, but you can say that about virtually any rookie. I haven't watched any tape, but do remember reading that he's looked a lot better since they moved him to his more natural tackle position.

HarveyWallbangers
09-04-2006, 11:36 AM
I think Colledge will be fine. I wouldn't even be surprised if he contributes in a positive way this year. Projecting Palmer to be a good OG in 3 years is a REAL stretch. Why not Moll? Instead of being cut by the team he was drafted by, he's starting for them. What makes you think in 3 years Palmer will be better than Moll? Palmer is probably a longshot to be on this team all year.

Willard
09-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Perhaps Joe Thomas will be a starter in 3 years?

Deputy Nutz
09-04-2006, 12:23 PM
I am convinced that Ted Thompson has a no idea how to build an offensive line. He failed in a pathetic effort last year, and this year his picks and pickups look no better than last years effort.

red
09-04-2006, 01:33 PM
well liewinski signed with the cardnals

their goes our shot at getting someone that already knows how to play guard

Lurker64
09-04-2006, 01:42 PM
I am convinced that Ted Thompson has a no idea how to build an offensive line.

Wasn't he the architect behind that somewhat fearsome Seattle O-Line last year that lead to Alexander breaking all of those rushing records? Seems to me like the man has some idea how to build an offensive line for that alone, at least.

red
09-04-2006, 01:50 PM
I am convinced that Ted Thompson has a no idea how to build an offensive line.

Wasn't he the architect behind that somewhat fearsome Seattle O-Line last year that lead to Alexander breaking all of those rushing records? Seems to me like the man has some idea how to build an offensive line for that alone, at least.

did TT build that line, or was it holmgren? remember holmgren was the GM there up until after the 2002 season

KYPack
09-05-2006, 09:46 AM
I am convinced that Ted Thompson has a no idea how to build an offensive line. He failed in a pathetic effort last year, and this year his picks and pickups look no better than last years effort.

I'm down with this.

I've actually wanted to comment on some of Thompson's shortcomings earlier this year, but didn't want to feed the Troll, if ya know what I mean. Last year, we should have brought in a couple solid vets and drafted at least one good kid with a 3 or a 4th rnd pick. This year we should've brought in one solid vet and drafted like we did. Out of that batch of players, we'd have a couple serviceable starters and a back-up guard.

Instead, we've got a mishmash of kids. We have no idea what they are really capable of, or if they can hold up in the regular season. They've never played in an NFL game, the starters AND the back-ups.

There is NO way the coaches have been able to put in a full lead zone scheme, a WCO, AND pass pro. There isn't a human on earth that could've learned all that in that timeframe.

We all say that it'll be OK in couple years, these guy's will be tight. How in the hell do we know? The sainted heros, Rivera and Wahle took 3 - 4 years to get productive & they didn't play either one of their original positions when they became effective starters.

This could well be one of the ugliest seasons in Pack history.