PDA

View Full Version : Packers WR position a "paradox"

Patler
04-20-2016, 01:10 PM
The GBPG gave me the kick I needed to start a thread I have been meaning to start most of the off season. They called the Packers' WR position a "paradox". (Hold the jokes about two M.D.s.) Their article can be found here:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/04/19/wide-receiver-position-paradox-packers/83234604/

On one hand, the wide receiver group performance in 2015 was a letdown. On the other hand, they already have six on their roster that could (should) make the final roster.

They have already brought in for visits several wide receivers who are expected to be drafted, but where would they put them, when they already have:

-Nelson and Cobb as locks for the final roster.
-Montgomery a lock, if healthy.
-Janis a virtual lock based on ST performance and raw potential.
-Abbrederis having shown potential.
-Adams having shown opposite extremes, but carrying a significant investment.

They have six, but somewhat unusually three have only two years experience, and a fourth with only a single year's experience. All four can be considered "in development". Absent injuries, it will be difficult to give all four the opportunities they might need/deserve.

Carrying six WRs on the final roster is somewhat uncommon, but not completely. Five is the more common number. Certainly they would not carry all 6 and another rookie on the final roster.

I know many of you will say "Give up on Adams", but I don't think that is likely to happen based on his rookie performance, high draft pick investment and possible injury limitations impacting last year. He would have to fail miserably in training camp this year not to be given a third year opportunity.

All things considered, Abbrederis might be the one most likely on the bubble. Would there be any trade market for him, or maybe for Adams?

beveaux1
04-20-2016, 01:18 PM
My feeling is that they will draft a WR. It will probably be a developmental pick, but I agree that Abbrederis is the most likely to be cut.

beveaux1
04-20-2016, 01:20 PM
Of course, that pre-supposes that no WR is injured going into the season. I wouldn't bet a nickel on that.

MadScientist
04-20-2016, 01:21 PM
What are the odds that all 6 remain healthy and show signs of progress by the start of the regular season? I agree the first 4 make it barring injury or a complete regression, Abby or Adams could easily be replaced by someone better. They have ability, but their production from last year won't be missed.

Not a lot of trade market for either, and probably a lot less if the Packers draft somebody.

I also wouldn't read too much into the visits. TT often uses them as a smoke screen, or to scout 6th and 7th rounders and priority FA's.

Patler
04-20-2016, 01:26 PM
I also wouldn't read too much into the visits. TT often uses them as a smoke screen, or to scout 6th and 7th rounders and priority FA's.

I don't think he wastes the company time and manpower on smokescreens. His smokescreening is usually by drafting a guy they had no contact with.

I agree he often uses visits to scout low picks and undrafted FAs, but several that he brought in are not likely to make it to or stay on the practice squad. They have had too much interest for that to work.

Cheesehead Craig
04-20-2016, 01:30 PM
They'll draft a WR and with the injury history, Abby is the most on the bubble. I think he's one or two more concussions from retiring.

MadScientist
04-20-2016, 02:29 PM
I don't think he wastes the company time and manpower on smokescreens. His smokescreening is usually by drafting a guy they had no contact with.

I agree he often uses visits to scout low picks and undrafted FAs, but several that he brought in are not likely to make it to or stay on the practice squad. They have had too much interest for that to work.

Are there some names missing from this pre-draft visit list?
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/04/17/packers-busy-pre-draft-visits/83092106/

I could see any or all of the receivers on that list being 6th or 7th round, or UDFA's.

Patler
04-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Are there some names missing from this pre-draft visit list?
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/04/17/packers-busy-pre-draft-visits/83092106/

I could see any or all of the receivers on that list being 6th or 7th round, or UDFA's.

I don't dispute that they might be low round draft picks, but the German dude attracted a good portion of the NFL to his workout, and the national media was hot on his story for several days because of his performance at the workout. A couple others had good workouts, too; and if I remember correctly they had one who ran a 4.3-something 40. My point was as I stated, that at least some of these guys look to be difficult to get to or keep on their practice squad. So 6th/7th round pick or not, they might have to be willing to put them on the final 53, just as they did Janis, if they are really interested in trying to develop them. That would likely mean parting with Abbrederis, maybe Adams, who they have significant investments in and are still in development stages. If not, they will lose them as they did Charles Johnson, who also had impressive workout numbers. Not a big deal, but just another wrinkle in the oddity surrounding their WRs.

In short, they need improvement, but are already "full-up" with guys who have potential and are already at least partly developed. There isn't an old guy to move out, or an obvious guy to cut to free up a roster spot. So, is it really worth investing a draft pick on yet another development project, unless an incredible opportunity presents itself?

Brohm
04-20-2016, 06:02 PM
Given the upside and ST abilities of the group, I see them keeping all six and not drafting any in this class. I don't think MM will have a problem using Janis this year (and we now have Cook on board at the TE position).

pbmax
04-20-2016, 06:33 PM
I'll tell you what the paradox is. Fan favorite John Kuhn on the street as the Packers keep just one FB to make room for the People's Champion, Jeff Janis!

Cheesehead Craig
04-20-2016, 06:42 PM
I'll tell you what the paradox is. Fan favorite John Kuhn on the street as the Packers keep just one FB to make room for the People's Champion, Jeff Janis!

Excellent insight. That's the kind of posting that made PackerRats famous. That and posts of big bold numbers.

George Cumby
04-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Anyone saying we should give up on Adams is an imbecile.

George Cumby
04-20-2016, 08:30 PM
R.I.P. Kuhn. It's time for Rip.

run pMc
04-20-2016, 08:42 PM
They won't draft a WR before R6 unless it's a can't miss slam dunk pick (e.g., Sterling Shepard in Round 5). I think they keep the 6 they have, add the 2 on the PS, and bring in 2 more UDFAs.
Of the 6, Abbrederis is the most likely not to stick. No, nobody will trade for one of the WRs unless that team loses a bunch of WR's in camp.

This is the year for Adams to bounce back or bounce to the bottom of the depth chart. Unlikely that they would cut a R2 pick that's flashed potential as a rookie.

Bretsky
04-20-2016, 10:22 PM
Anyone saying we should give up on Adams is an imbecile.

Nobody's giving up but I have history of calling a spade a spade very early on......of course having opinions makes me wrong all the time too

Robert Da Fraud Ferguson
Just a Guy Brad Jones
and now
The Fresno Fraud

As always I'll be happy to be criticized as being wrong.

But while AROD will make him look good a times, as he does all players, I think in the end we'll find him to be a J.A.G

Deputy Nutz
04-21-2016, 10:02 AM
Out of the 6 that the Packers currently have on the roster it seems that Abby has the most to lose. He is a good route runner and gets to his spots, but he just lacks the physical build to play the game at a high level. He needed to add more mass and he couldn't do it in the last two years. I like the guy but cutting a draft pick for a guy that has had multiple concussions and a blown knee would make me nervous.

I would also think about drafting a receiver early in the draft, because if Adams is the dud that people think he is then you can cut bait. If Adams turns it around in training camp then you can cut Abby and keep the drafted receiver.

MadtownPacker
04-21-2016, 11:00 AM
Out of the 6 that the Packers currently have on the roster it seems that Abby has the most to lose. He is a good route runner and gets to his spots, but he just lacks the physical build to play the game at a high level. He needed to add more mass and he couldn't do it in the last two years. I like the guy but cutting a draft pick for a guy that has had multiple concussions and a blown knee would make me nervous.

I would also think about drafting a receiver early in the draft, because if Adams is the dud that people think he is then you can cut bait. If Adams turns it around in training camp then you can cut Abby and keep the drafted receiver.Nice post Nutterbutter. Unlike the Wisco Wacko who posted right before you, you provided good reasoning.

George Cumby
04-21-2016, 11:07 AM
I think it's a foregone conclusion that Ted will draft a WR, my guess is he will do so at a higher round than we would guess or prefer......

Zool
04-21-2016, 01:21 PM
Na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye John Kuhn.

He's so slow he's still trying to get off the field from the playoffs last year.

Freak Out
04-21-2016, 01:38 PM
I think it's a foregone conclusion that Ted will draft a WR, my guess is he will do so at a higher round than we would guess or prefer......

You can't blame the guy...I also wouldn't mind a change of pace RB taken as well. Seen talk about the back from Alabama...?

MadtownPacker
04-21-2016, 02:00 PM
You can't blame the guy...I also wouldn't mind a change of pace RB taken as well. Seen talk about the back from Alabama...?
He got slave feet mofo?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Slave+Feet

mraynrand
04-21-2016, 04:44 PM
I think there is s strong change Monty ends up on IR - either part time or for the whole season. I am betting a WR of some type is drafted in rounds 1-3: either some super speedy guy or a larger guy who could play TE.

Freak Out
04-21-2016, 05:13 PM
I think there is s strong change Monty ends up on IR - either part time or for the whole season. I am betting a WR of some type is drafted in rounds 1-3: either some super speedy guy or a larger guy who could play TE.

That's what worries me a bit...the Packers need a shifty RB/WR like him in the game, but if he's hurt all the time...?

Tony Oday
04-22-2016, 11:37 AM
Trade Cobb! His eyes freak me out. I can't imagine Abby isnt on the team he showed some great skill.

woodbuck27
04-22-2016, 04:02 PM
Trade Cobb! His eyes freak me out. I can't imagine Abby isnt on the team he showed some great skill.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/98/75/7f/98757f30027ab93cd773c037f0ec4137.jpg

It's a matter of some perspective:

red
04-24-2016, 06:35 PM
the two guys that shit the bed last season when we needed then to step up the most were cobb and adams

neither one of them is going anywhere

abby when healthy almost seems like a-rods "go-to-guy" and janis finally looked decent when he was finally given a shot

ty was hurt, can't fault him from anything

but i don't see how you can drop abby or janis when they wen't the guys sucking up the field week in week out like cobb and adams

i think they keep 6 and don't draft anyone unless they trade/release adams, and yes, he was that bad last year. i think he was ranked as the worst starting WR in the nfl last year

pbmax
04-25-2016, 08:13 AM
the two guys that shit the bed last season when we needed then to step up the most were cobb and adams

neither one of them is going anywhere

abby when healthy almost seems like a-rods "go-to-guy" and janis finally looked decent when he was finally given a shot

ty was hurt, can't fault him from anything

Everyone you mention here EXCEPT JANIS, was hurt during the season, not just Monty.

Maxie the Taxi
04-25-2016, 09:37 AM
Cobb is one of the best players on the team. He tried to do too much last year, put too much on his shoulders, become the downfield threat he isn't. He should be back to doing what he does best next year. He's an unbelievably reliable first down machine.