PDA

View Full Version : Tabloid Fodder: Browns Make a Smart NFL Move

Smidgeon
04-20-2016, 01:25 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/20/eagles-trade-for-no-2-overall-pick-in-2016-nfl-draft/

Browns trade second overall pick to the Eagles for the 8th overall and a few more picks. Apparently their new guy in charge realizes they need lots of help to be competitive.

I don't know who their QB is right now (honestly don't remember and too lazy to care), but if they weren't convinced Wentz or Goff was it, this was a great move.

Cheesehead Craig
04-20-2016, 01:28 PM
The Browns need lots of help and this was a pretty logical move assuming the Wentz and Goff angle you bring up.

Like Tenn, they have to hit on their draft picks. But at least now they give themselves a lot more wiggle room if they pick some busts.

Striker
04-20-2016, 01:33 PM
The exact details of the trade:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CggOO5hW8AEhzIU.jpg

pbmax
04-20-2016, 02:35 PM
I thought the crazy guy left the Eagles.

Patler
04-20-2016, 02:53 PM

Good haul for the Browns, although extending the 2nd round pick into 2018 sort of decreases the value, as the entire staff today could be gone by then. But a first, third and fourth this year along with a first next year sure should help a rebuild project.

Patler
04-20-2016, 02:56 PM
I have a question for those of you that follow the draft build up much more closely than I do.

Realistically, how are these two guys evaluated compared to some of the big-name quarterbacks of previous years? Are these two considered "special" in any way?

pbmax
04-20-2016, 03:16 PM
I have a question for those of you that follow the draft build up much more closely than I do.

Realistically, how are these two guys evaluated compared to some of the big-name quarterbacks of previous years? Are these two considered "special" in any way?

I have heard/read that there is a lot of quantity rather than top quality in the QB draft. But while Goff gets knocked down for not being a physical specimen, I actually don't know how Wentz stacks up versus his predecessors. Hackenberg looks the job, but he had very mixed results in Happy Valley with a coaching change.

MadScientist
04-20-2016, 03:16 PM
If either Wentz or Goff fail to pan out, they will go down as one of the worst picks ever - Ryan Leaf territory.

Philadelphia must be convinced that both of them will be franchise QB's and that they are only a QB away from dominating their division. Given the status of the other teams in the NFC East, they may be right on that point.

Patler
04-20-2016, 03:33 PM
I have heard/read that there is a lot of quantity rather than top quality in the QB draft. But while Goff gets knocked down for not being a physical specimen, I actually don't know how Wentz stacks up versus his predecessors. Hackenberg looks the job, but he had very mixed results in Happy Valley with a coaching change.

That's why I don't understand even one team, let alone two teams, giving away the tops of two drafts for either one of these guys. My impression at the time was that Andrew Luck was considered somewhat "special", or at least a guy with a higher probability for succeeding than the "average" first round QB. If the guys this year were viewed that way, I could see investing a bit more to get them. But these guys don't seem to be that.

It just seems to me that both of this trades will be successful for the team trading up only if their QB becomes one of the truly special ones.

Heck, if Hundley puts up preseason performances this year as good as last year, why shouldn't he be worth at least what was given up for two guys with no NFL exposure? Yet, GB will be lucky to get even a single 1st round pick if they chose to trade him.

Cheesehead Craig
04-20-2016, 03:35 PM
The thing that concerns me about Goff is that he's a shotgun/pistol only QB in college. Could be a rough learning curve in the NFL. Unless they decide to run a bunch of that offense where he goes.

mraynrand
04-20-2016, 03:56 PM
Browns have RGIII. Thinking is they might take Cook (that's right, RGIII backed up by a Spartan QB - that always ends well) - or they might take a project later - and there are big projects later.

Draft picks are great. Will be interesting what a non-football lawyer and baseball guy select in the draft. Browns might suck, but the summer charity softball game just might be the best in the NFL.

Joemailman
04-20-2016, 04:39 PM

Speaking of crazy, I'm starting to think the new Browns GM (Sashi Brown) might know what he's doing. Am I crazy?

vince
04-20-2016, 05:37 PM

I'm not sure what the experts are saying but I like Wentz. I think he has everything you want in a QB - except big school pedigree. His arm, smarts and size spell success to me. He could probably use a year to make the jump (which he probably won't get given his draft slot) but after a year or so he'll be the franchise guy the Rams or Eagles are looking for IMO.

The others all have some questions about them in my mind.

pbmax
04-20-2016, 05:43 PM
Speaking of crazy, I'm starting to think the new Browns GM (Sashi Brown) might know what he's doing. Am I crazy?

No. There are a number of ways things can revert to normal even if he is determined to perform well.

Cheesehead Craig
04-20-2016, 06:43 PM

He just hasn't had enough Cleveland water yet.

Striker
04-20-2016, 07:10 PM

Maybe a little. There's still lots of time for them to find that Browns way to lose.

Joemailman
04-20-2016, 08:05 PM
List of Browns starting quarterbacks:

2015 Josh McCown (8) / Johnny Manziel (6) / Austin Davis (2)
2014 Brian Hoyer (13) / Johnny Manziel (2) / Connor Shaw (1)
2013 Jason Campbell (8) / Brandon Weeden (5) / Brian Hoyer (3)
2012 Brandon Weeden (15) / Thad Lewis (1)
2011 Colt McCoy (13) / Seneca Wallace (3)
2010 Colt McCoy (8) / Jake Delhomme (4) / Seneca Wallace (4)
2009 Brady Quinn (9) / Derek Anderson (7)
2008 Derek Anderson (9) / Brady Quinn (3) / Ken Dorsey (3) / Bruce Gradkowski (1)
2007 Derek Anderson (15) / Charlie Frye (1)
2006 Charlie Frye (13) / Derek Anderson (3)
2005 Trent Dilfer (11) / Charlie Frye (5)
2004 Jeff Garcia (10) / Kelly Holcomb (2) / Luke McCown (4)
2003 Kelly Holcomb (8) / Tim Couch (8)
2002 Tim Couch (14) / Kelly Holcomb (2)
2001 Tim Couch (16)
2000 Doug Pederson (8) / Tim Couch (7) / Spergon Wynn (1)
1999 Tim Couch (14) / Ty Detmer (2)

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2016, 08:19 PM
I like Wentz. To me he's a better prospect than Bortles or any QB in that class. He's not a can't miss like Luck though. I had Mariota first last year. He'd be a tick above Wentz. Goff is similar to Matt Ryan.

George Cumby
04-20-2016, 08:27 PM
List of Browns starting quarterbacks:

2015 Josh McCown (8) / Johnny Manziel (6) / Austin Davis (2)
2014 Brian Hoyer (13) / Johnny Manziel (2) / Connor Shaw (1)
2013 Jason Campbell (8) / Brandon Weeden (5) / Brian Hoyer (3)
2012 Brandon Weeden (15) / Thad Lewis (1)
2011 Colt McCoy (13) / Seneca Wallace (3)
2010 Colt McCoy (8) / Jake Delhomme (4) / Seneca Wallace (4)
2009 Brady Quinn (9) / Derek Anderson (7)
2008 Derek Anderson (9) / Brady Quinn (3) / Ken Dorsey (3) / Bruce Gradkowski (1)
2007 Derek Anderson (15) / Charlie Frye (1)
2006 Charlie Frye (13) / Derek Anderson (3)
2005 Trent Dilfer (11) / Charlie Frye (5)
2004 Jeff Garcia (10) / Kelly Holcomb (2) / Luke McCown (4)
2003 Kelly Holcomb (8) / Tim Couch (8)
2002 Tim Couch (14) / Kelly Holcomb (2)
2001 Tim Couch (16)
2000 Doug Pederson (8) / Tim Couch (7) / Spergon Wynn (1)
1999 Tim Couch (14) / Ty Detmer (2)

And this is why we are some spoiled muthafuckahs.

Patler
04-20-2016, 09:20 PM
And this is why we are some spoiled muthafuckahs.

They've only had 8 different in the last three years. Three years back, the Packers had 4 different starters in five weeks!

Bretsky
04-20-2016, 09:28 PM

I iike Wentz; compare his favorably to Bortles. Not a Lueck though; but I'm not sure that ends up being a terrible deal.

George Cumby
04-20-2016, 09:53 PM
They've only had 8 different in the last three years. Three years back, the Packers had 4 different starters in five weeks!

Yes but we won the Division that year, did we not?

:-P

Patler
04-20-2016, 10:23 PM
Yes but we won the Division that year, did we not?

:-P

Exactly, so who needs stability at QB? :)

Pugger
04-21-2016, 07:39 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/20/eagles-trade-for-no-2-overall-pick-in-2016-nfl-draft/

Browns trade second overall pick to the Eagles for the 8th overall and a few more picks. Apparently their new guy in charge realizes they need lots of help to be competitive.

I don't know who their QB is right now (honestly don't remember and too lazy to care), but if they weren't convinced Wentz or Goff was it, this was a great move.

Didn't the Browns sign RG3 recently?

pbmax
04-21-2016, 08:20 AM
Didn't the Browns sign RG3 recently?

Yes.

Guiness
04-21-2016, 08:37 AM

Rodgers, Wallace, Tolzien and Flynn - good times!

Flynn spent time with NE, the Jets and NO last season. Wow

Pugger
04-21-2016, 02:42 PM

He has to be better than anybody they've had there for a long time.

woodbuck27
04-21-2016, 03:26 PM
The exact details of the trade:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CggOO5hW8AEhzIU.jpg

The Eagles better get this right.

Their fans aren't impressed.

A smart move by Cleveland.

ThunderDan
04-22-2016, 09:43 AM
What a horrible trade for Philly.

Chip Kelly drained the team of "real" talent and now just when they need draft picks to make up for the last few years they trade them away.