PDA

View Full Version : Shooting at Antigo, WI High School Prom

Patler
04-24-2016, 12:54 PM
Not much to say. So sad very all involved:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/2-students-shot-suspect-arrested-outside-high-school-prom-in-northern-wisconsin-376885931.html

mraynrand
04-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Looks like it could have been much much worse. Only the shooter was killed thank goodness.

Patler
04-24-2016, 01:09 PM
Looks like it could have been much much worse. Only the shooter was killed thank goodness.

Ya, could have been a lot worse; but, without knowing the background, I still feel sorry for the 18 year old shooter who for some reason went off the rails so much and had to pay with his life. Without knowing the background, I feel sorry for his family. I feel sorry for the cop who had to shoot him. Being forced into the situation of having to kill a kid isn't easy, even when you don't have a choice.

Of course, I feel sorry for the victims of the shooter.

mraynrand
04-24-2016, 02:44 PM
Ya, could have been a lot worse; but, without knowing the background, I still feel sorry for the 18 year old shooter who for some reason went off the rails so much and had to pay with his life. Without knowing the background, I feel sorry for his family. I feel sorry for the cop who had to shoot him. Being forced into the situation of having to kill a kid isn't easy, even when you don't have a choice.

Of course, I feel sorry for the victims of the shooter.

glad you wedged that in there at the end

Patler
04-24-2016, 03:00 PM
glad you wedged that in there at the end

Well, that goes, or should go without saying in any situation like this. Everyone feels sorry for the victims, as they should. I would never expect that anyone wouldn't. Unfortunately, in today's world of P.C. overload, you HAVE to state the obvious, or be accused of being insensitive, heartless or worse.

digitaldean
04-24-2016, 04:05 PM
Bad situation all around. Fortunate that the police were at the school at the time or could have been much worse.

woodbuck27
04-24-2016, 04:32 PM
This is indeed a sad story.

Parents who are gun owners have a responsibility to ensure all of their children respect guns and to 'lock them up'. The youth of today obviously have issues that exceed what we were faced with while attending school. There's a lot of bullying that goes on and some teens simply snap.

Patler
04-24-2016, 05:26 PM
The shooter appears to have been a boy who graduated last year, who is reported to have been 18 years old. In WI he could legally own his own firearms, I believe.

woodbuck27
04-24-2016, 05:54 PM
The shooter appears to have been a boy who graduated last year, who is reported to have been 18 years old. In WI he could legally own his own firearms, I believe.

Yes it appears your likely correct:

"The relationship between the shooter and the victims was not immediately clear as of early Sunday morning, according to Roller.

A person with the same name and spelling as Wagner's name was listed in an Antigo newspaper as a high school senior in 2015 who made the honor roll in February of that year. ... "

MadtownPacker
04-24-2016, 09:33 PM
Without reading the story I will say if the shooter was put down it is a good thing. No need to have some BS trial when he was obviously guilty and no need to pay for his incarceration. If he had specific targets for a specific reason he should have went after them and dealt with the consequences. The attention whore method of ruining what should be a lifetime memory of all other garners no sympathy whatsoever from me.

call_me_ishmael
04-24-2016, 10:04 PM
I'll refrain from making a political comment here but I do have to wonder if anyone would have been shot if he had only had access to jump ropes instead of weapons of semi-mass destruction.

MadtownPacker
04-24-2016, 10:36 PM
Partial don't forget you are supposed to be banned so wrap that fucking jump romp around your mouth or stop trolling and stay on topic. I just read the article and it sounds like this coward was gonna shoot whoever came out the building. Good thing the cops gave him a permanent dirt nap or we would have to hear about the bullying he "suffered" during his trial. Like GCumby said, delicate little flowers.

mraynrand
04-25-2016, 05:52 AM
you can strangle someone with a jump rope, if necessary. Not that I've done it or anything, but that's what my drill sergeant told me.

Patler
04-25-2016, 05:58 AM
It is easy to talk tough about a dead 18 year old who committed an atrocious act. Ya, it is good that only he died. Yes, in view if the situation the cop did what he had to do. No, there isn't a good excuse for anyone to do what he did.

But, I feel sorry that he lived a life that lead him to this. I am sorry that he couldn't find what he needed to avoid this outcome.

As I have gotten older, these situations make me sadder, and I think about them more. I also feel sad for the unfortunate inner city youths that seem so hopeless about life. The fact that others can live above the same disadvantages without committing the crimes doesn't mean I can't feel sorry for the ones who are not able.

It gets easier and easier for me to hate the sin without hating, but also not excusing the sinner.

MadtownPacker
04-25-2016, 11:59 AM
It is easy to talk tough about a dead 18 year old who committed an atrocious act. Ya, it is good that only he died. Yes, in view if the situation the cop did what he had to do. No, there isn't a good excuse for anyone to do what he did.

But, I feel sorry that he lived a life that lead him to this. I am sorry that he couldn't find what he needed to avoid this outcome.

As I have gotten older, these situations make me sadder, and I think about them more. I also feel sad for the unfortunate inner city youths that seem so hopeless about life. The fact that others can live above the same disadvantages without committing the crimes doesn't mean I can't feel sorry for the ones who are not able.

It gets easier and easier for me to hate the sin without hating, but also not excusing the sinner.Where is this tough talk you speak of? Guessing you are referring to Aynrand's post or mine but correct me if I am wrong. It is not good, it is GREAT that he only he died. What purpose does him being on this Earth accomplish? Keep him looked up for life? Let him out when he is a old broken man who will very likely only be a burden on society?

He was teased and maybe beat up. Based on the article is was mostly in Jr. high and the article has a few folks saying they felt bad for him and even gave him rides. Why should they have had their night and memories ruined?

I have been stabbed (got me in the hand when the MFer was trying to stab me in the stomach and I blocked it). Had a older hardcore cholo press a screwdriver to my neck cuz I didnt want to help him steal something. Shot at once from a distance and the lameass missed but the bullets did whizz by very close. Had gun pulled on me different occasion. Been jumped by 5 pussies and one busted me in the face with a 40oz. It didn't break but I had two black eyes for almost a month. All this before I was 20yrs old and didn't even grow up in a big city. Just around people that didn't want better for themselves but I did and do.

You can feel sorry for him but others choose not to. I don't understand why you take issue with that. I never once thought of shooting up a party where these dbags where hanging out. The ones I was able to catch up with and confront all got hit up when they stood alone. Just about all ran or claimed it wasn't them. Based on your logic you should feel sorry for me? Fuck no! I put myself in bad situations and luckily I learned to not be a fuck up before it was too late. This guy didn't and that is why he died. He can rest in piss as far as I am concerned.

3irty1
04-25-2016, 01:22 PM
Before I met my wife I'd have felt similar to Mad probably. She's mellowed me out and now I'm much more in line with Patler. There are levels of tragedy to recognize that in no way cheapen the plight of the victims or excuse the killer's actions.

MadtownPacker
04-25-2016, 01:53 PM
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3548/3408660748_7b03c06ab7_z.jpg

Zool
04-25-2016, 02:35 PM
I agree with Patler. Mental health is not addressed nearly enough. People are still embarrassed or ashamed to say they are seeking psychiatric help. We call people loons and crazies. Helping this kid out at an earlier age might have prevented his death.

George Cumby
04-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Prisons are functioning as de facto mental health wards.

Mental health is a real problem.

Amazing in this time of so much wealth and prosperity, so many suffer so grievously. (this is an apolitical statement, BTW, please don't turn it into one.....)

mraynrand
04-25-2016, 02:48 PM
I agree with Patler. Mental health is not addressed nearly enough. People are still embarrassed or ashamed to say they are seeking psychiatric help. We call people loons and crazies. Helping this kid out at an earlier age might have prevented his death.

Since Reagan, it's been much more difficult to commit people. There's a tug of war between individual rights and societal threats, and with psychiatric illness it's pulled toward the individual right now. It is a threat to change that, because you don't want to make it easy for people to lock up a relative they don't like (Mraynrand's family has been trying for years).

I agree that the stigma could be reduced. Right now the field is a mess. Insurance companies don't pay well if at all for therapy, residencies are over half-empty, docs are being recruited from foreign countries so that they don't understand our society and it's influence on people, and so you tend to have lower quality, overworked docs just pushing pharmaceuticals.

Used to be you could talk to your priest/pastor, but that's going bye bye too for a multitude of reasons, including untrustworthiness issues and the legacy of the abuse scandals.

mraynrand
04-25-2016, 02:50 PM
Had a older hardcore cholo press a screwdriver to my neck cuz I didnt want to help him steal something.

Phillips or Regular?

MadtownPacker
04-25-2016, 04:42 PM
Phillips or Regular?Flat, if that's what you mean by regular. Also great for using as a key after using a dent puller to pop the ignition out. Old school cars of course.

Patler
04-25-2016, 06:20 PM
Where is this tough talk you speak of? Guessing you are referring to Aynrand's post or mine but correct me if I am wrong. It is not good, it is GREAT that he only he died. What purpose does him being on this Earth accomplish? Keep him looked up for life? Let him out when he is a old broken man who will very likely only be a burden on society?

He was teased and maybe beat up. Based on the article is was mostly in Jr. high and the article has a few folks saying they felt bad for him and even gave him rides. Why should they have had their night and memories ruined?

I have been stabbed (got me in the hand when the MFer was trying to stab me in the stomach and I blocked it). Had a older hardcore cholo press a screwdriver to my neck cuz I didnt want to help him steal something. Shot at once from a distance and the lameass missed but the bullets did whizz by very close. Had gun pulled on me different occasion. Been jumped by 5 pussies and one busted me in the face with a 40oz. It didn't break but I had two black eyes for almost a month. All this before I was 20yrs old and didn't even grow up in a big city. Just around people that didn't want better for themselves but I did and do.

You can feel sorry for him but others choose not to. I don't understand why you take issue with that. I never once thought of shooting up a party where these dbags where hanging out. The ones I was able to catch up with and confront all got hit up when they stood alone. Just about all ran or claimed it wasn't them. Based on your logic you should feel sorry for me? Fuck no! I put myself in bad situations and luckily I learned to not be a fuck up before it was too late. This guy didn't and that is why he died. He can rest in piss as far as I am concerned.

I wasn't referring to any particular post on here. I don't take issue with anyone who wants to cheer his death, but I do feel sadness for it.

I don't pretend to know one single thing about his background, the cause of his act,or his mental health. Nothing. I don't need to know it to justify sadness for an 18 year old doing what he did. Sadness for an 18 year old's life having to end the way it did.

I am just sad that he couldn't have a more rewarding life, for whatever reason, whether his fault entirely, or not.

(Snide comment removed.)

MadtownPacker
04-25-2016, 09:29 PM
Patler - In reading your last post I can respect your thoughts on the matter. You are right, 18 is too young to die for anyone. Deserved death or not, the world would be a better place if none of this had happened and this guy could have been a productive member of our society.

woodbuck27
04-28-2016, 08:34 AM
Patler - In reading your last post I can respect your thoughts on the matter. You are right, 18 is too young to die for anyone. Deserved death or not, the world would be a better place if none of this had happened and this guy could have been a productive member of our society.

Mad I read your post before this one and on that post my reaction was 'Ohh My God' you were spared for some greater work !

This post reflects such and as owner of our Forum on a day we hope that TT has it 'right on and the picking of the life blood of our beloved Green Bay Packers' as I have and again... I Thank You.

Packerrats is a real part of my experience in life and I give you thanks for that Mad.

mraynrand
04-28-2016, 09:39 AM
Mad I read your post before this one and on that post my reaction was 'Ohh My God' you were spared for some greater work !

This post reflects such and as owner of our Forum on a day we hope that TT has it 'right on and the picking of the life blood of our beloved Green Bay Packers' as I have and again... I Thank You.

Packerrats is a real part of my experience in life and I give you thanks for that Mad.

MadT, if you added a 0.1 font size option, we'd never have to read a post from Woody again. :lol:

MadtownPacker
04-28-2016, 02:38 PM
But then you would have no Ying to your Yang, no Pepsi to your Coke, and no fire for your ice. Woody is the wind beneath your wings. Don't lie, you look forward to responding to him. :lol:

Thanks Woody but you know I just like to mix it up with my amigos blancos.

mraynrand
04-28-2016, 03:00 PM
But then you would have no Ying to your Yang, no Pepsi to your Coke, and no fire for your ice. Woody is the wind beneath your wings. Don't lie, you look forward to responding to him. :lol:

The vast majority of the time, I'm just kidding around with 'ol Woodchuck. he doesn't appreciate my sense of humor at all. I guess I can't really blame him.

George Cumby
04-28-2016, 03:37 PM

Woody's Batman to Rand's Joker. Or is it the other way around?

mraynrand
04-28-2016, 04:54 PM
Woody's Batman to Rand's Joker. Or is it the other way around?

I much prefer the Riddler

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/batman/images/a/ab/The_Riddler_3.png/revision/latest?cb=20090728165955

woodbuck27
04-30-2016, 12:55 AM
I much prefer the Riddler

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/batman/images/a/ab/The_Riddler_3.png/revision/latest?cb=20090728165955

Nah ! Here's a better fit.

http://www.messinaora.it/notizia/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/uomo_lupo_lon_chaney_jr_george_waggner_027_jpg_ahn g.jpg

mraynrand
04-30-2016, 10:01 AM
just before I shave