PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Davis

RashanGary
04-15-2006, 01:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq5g7O9YvwQ&search=vernon%20davis

I just showed this footage to my wife...She was like "Is this real? He is so hyper. His adrenaline is so high, he's a big unstoppable horse. This isn't real is it?"

I was like "it is real and yes he is the only person alive who can do that."

I just wanted to rehash an old topic fellas. I love Vernon Davis. I believe in defense first but this guy is truely special.

ND72
04-15-2006, 02:13 PM
I seriously think, if we stay at #5 we take AJ, and then if he's still there i suppose :lol: Mario...if we move down, and of course it all depends on what happens, but if we move down a few spots we take Vernon. But #5, AJ is my pick. if say #7 and SF doesn't take him, Vernon is our guy. if we trade down to like a 9 or 10...i really have no idea what direction they go...Jimmy Williams??

Harlan Huckleby
04-15-2006, 02:15 PM
I just can't see taking a TE at #5. Maybe around #10.

ND72
04-15-2006, 02:16 PM
We would really be using Vernon as a H back or a WR cause Bubba "fits" what McCarthy does to a T. I am really looking forward to seeing what bubba can do in this offense, especially since he is sucha good blocker.

RashanGary
04-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Davis is not a TE IMO. He playes TE but he has the explosive ability of a WR.

Bubba will be what he is; A great blocker and red zone defender. Davis will basically be a dual threat run block/pass catch TE who streches the field like no other TE in NFL history.

There has never been a TE like Vernon Davis so its not really fair IMO to say you shouldn't draft Davis based on his position.

Watch the game tape. He's dominate.

Partial
04-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Except scouts say he is a terrible blocker and downright refuses to.

You're getting giddy over his 40 time. Anyone who has a chance to make 10 million dollars can train for 3 months hardcore and dedicate themselves to getting the fastest 40 time imaginable.

He played in a weak football conference on a bad team. He only started two years too, and only really played well in one.

I remember another receiver who was super highly touted coming into the draft. He went #2 overall. He will probably be out of football next year.

This dude is....
overrated *clap clap; clap clap clap*

Bretsky
04-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Davis is not a TE IMO. He playes TE but he has the explosive ability of a WR.

Bubba will be what he is; A great blocker and red zone defender. Davis will basically be a dual threat run block/pass catch TE who streches the field like no other TE in NFL history.

There has never been a TE like Vernon Davis so its not really fair IMO to say you shouldn't draft Davis based on his position.

Watch the game tape. He's dominate.

NICK

GREAT VIDEO; CAN I REQUEST A POSTING OF THE AJ HAWK VIDEO ??
I'm guessing there must be one as well.

I didn't know a ton about Davis until I saw him compete in that college all star competition. Chad Jackson was the best WR, but Vernon Davis was clearly the best RECEIVER and he as the only TE playing against WR's. Barring injury I feel he will be a dominating TE for many years to come.

I've said all along Hawk is my choice and I do think TT will take him if he stays at 5. I don't think Vernon Davis will last past pick #6 since I think San Fran will also be heavily scouting who they like more between Hawk and Davis.

If GB does not end up with Hawk, Davis, or Mario Williams, I'll be very disappointed.

Bretsky
04-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Partial,

Like you, AJ Hawk is my guy. Many will call me insane, but the only guy I'd clearly take over him is Reggie Bush. Then if Leinart slips I suppose I'd consider him to.

But I'd take Hawk over D Ferguson, Vince Young, Vernon Davis, and Mario Williams.

But if Hawk is not there for us I do think Davis will be a very good to great player. I haven't read about his inability to block, but the guy is very strong.

RashanGary
04-15-2006, 08:07 PM
The A.J. Video was not nearly as impressive as the Vernon Davis video. I love A.J. Hawk as a player but Davis is just better.

falco
04-15-2006, 08:35 PM
The A.J. Video was not nearly as impressive as the Vernon Davis video. I love A.J. Hawk as a player but Davis is just better.

Aaron Rodgers should hope we pick up Davis, AROD will be a 10x better quarterback with him.

RashanGary
04-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Yup,

I have a feeling that T.T. keeps telling Brett to wait because he knows he's going to piss his pants in happyness on draft day.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Hawk < Davis < Huff

Be wise, draft Huff.

b bulldog
04-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Williams is the second best player in this draft. He does carry some risk but his ceiling is truely unlimited. Hopefully the Saints trade out of 2 or pick Liny.

ND72
04-15-2006, 11:19 PM
Huff < Davis < Williams < Hawk

b bulldog
04-15-2006, 11:22 PM
Davis would be interesting in a Packer uniform if Mario is gone.

Tarlam!
04-16-2006, 03:44 AM
GREAT VIDEO; CAN I REQUEST A POSTING OF THE AJ HAWK VIDEO ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6O8kZ8LrDk&search=a.j.%20Hawk[/url]

motife
04-16-2006, 06:07 AM
The Press Gazette has 2 articles on Vernon Davis today.

The GBPG writer thinks a clue that the Packers might take Davis with the #5 pick is they've drafted TE's early in the 1st round before.

For example, in 1957 they drafted Ron Kramer with the #4 pick.

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 08:35 AM
They only had to go back to 1957 to find someone?

KYPack
04-16-2006, 10:06 AM
[quote="Partial"]Except scouts say he is a terrible blocker and downright refuses to.

You're getting giddy over his 40 time. Anyone who has a chance to make 10 million dollars can train for 3 months hardcore and dedicate themselves to getting the fastest 40 time imaginable.

He played in a weak football conference on a bad team. He only started two years too, and only really played well in one.

(Snip of the goofy claps)

Iquote]

No, there Partial.

Scouts DON'T say he can't block.

The reason?

The guy is a devastating blocker. The scouts say he is an "old school blocker", a destroyer, a decleater. One of the best blocking tight ends in the last few years. Like when he destroyed Mario Williams after Williams had a stellar first half against Maryland.

In fact, there isn't one thing correct about your entire post.

At least ya spelled "clap" right.

motife
04-16-2006, 10:12 AM
They only had to go back to 1957 to find someone?

Hi Ziggy,

Yes, 1957. I thought it was stretching it a bit to think that would influence the Packers drafting logic 49 years later. Or, that "The Packers draft TE's early all the time".

Patler
04-16-2006, 10:18 AM
With absolutely no factual basis for it, I get this uneasy feeling that he will be a big disappointment. Be truthful, how many of you knew anything at all about him in January? Had you even heard of him?

Partial
04-16-2006, 12:54 PM
The latest Dr. Z article says that Vernon Davis is around 230. Not 265. They also say he is 6'2 1/2"

KYPack
04-16-2006, 09:55 PM
The latest Dr. Z article says that Vernon Davis is around 230. Not 265. They also say he is 6'2 1/2"

Elsewhere, you've admitted slagging Davis because you want to see the Pack draft Hawk. That's fine & all, but quit posting phony info to support your case.

At the combine Davis weighed 265.

He's 6 3 1/2.

The scary 40 times are legit and well documented.

The "He won't block" stories are not remotely true, the guy was labeled an "old school blocker" by scouts at the combine.

This is the deepest and richest TE draft, maybe in NFL history. We've got a vet TE & probably won't draft Davis, but quit making up crap to support your hawk spamming.

RashanGary
04-16-2006, 09:57 PM
With absolutely no factual basis for it, I get this uneasy feeling that he will be a big disappointment. Be truthful, how many of you knew anything at all about him in January? Had you even heard of him?

I made a thread in january at JS titled Vernon Davis. I bumped it the other day. In my thread I was saying I thought he was a top 7 pick. You can go read it if you like. I think I bumped it yesterday so it should be on the top 2 or 3 pages.

RashanGary
04-16-2006, 09:59 PM

Elsewhere, you've admitted slagging Davis because you want to see the Pack draft Hawk. That's fine & all, but quit posting phony info to support your case.

He's 6 3 1/2.

The "He won't block" stories are not remotely true, the guy was labeled an "old school blocker" by scouts at the combine.

This is the deepest and richest TE draft, maybe in NFL history. We've got a vet TE & probably won't draft Davis, but quit making up crap to support your hawk spamming.

Thanks KY...

I like Hawk too but I've seen Davis play and I know he's an amazing pass catcher. Even if he couldn't block he's still one of the best recievers in the game but throw in the fact that he's a good blocker and you have one of the NFLs most complete players at any position.

Partial
04-16-2006, 10:12 PM

He's 6 3 1/2.

source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/dr_z/04/13/vernon.davis/index.html

He's a pumped up 230-235. Who cares, if he can split a seam with that speed? I've heard that he needs work on his blocking, and I have to laugh at that one. There are no great blocking tight ends. OK, I'll amend that, there are no great pass-catching tight ends who worry the defense with their blocking. Guys like Kyle Brady or the Chiefs' Jason Dunn can block, and so can H-backs such as the Vikings' Jim Kleinsasser and the Redskins' Mike Sellers, but you won't see them catching any 30-yard TDs. Just keep it in mind --

I like Hawk. Davis will be a solid, todd heap pro-bowl tight end that is good but really doesn't do much for his team because he is a good player at an unimportant position.

This dude's 40 time is making you all orgasm. Mercedes Lewis will be a better pro. He is equally fast, weighs more, is stronger and taller. He also put up better stats consistently.

To call this kid who has never played a down in the NFL and put up ok above-average stats is pretty outrageous. This guy has potential, don't get me wrong, however in pads there is no way this dude is as fast as TO or Walker or any of the dominating wide-outs and corners, or he would have played their in college.

He will be the next todd heap. Great pass-catching tight end who really doesn't change much in the game.

RashanGary
04-16-2006, 10:16 PM
[quote=Partial]The latest Dr. Z article says that Vernon Davis is around 230. Not 265. They also say he is 6'2 1/2"

source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/dr_z/04/13/vernon.davis/index.html

He's a pumped up 230-235. Who cares, if he can split a seam with that speed? I've heard that he needs work on his blocking, and I have to laugh at that one. There are no great blocking tight ends. OK, I'll amend that, there are no great pass-catching tight ends who worry the defense with their blocking. Guys like Kyle Brady or the Chiefs' Jason Dunn can block, and so can H-backs such as the Vikings' Jim Kleinsasser and the Redskins' Mike Sellers, but you won't see them catching any 30-yard TDs. Just keep it in mind --

That artical was flattering to Davis what the hell are you talking about.

Partial
04-16-2006, 10:20 PM
It was a flattering article. I am just saying he isn't all its cracked up to be.

I can find many articles flattering to Jamal Reynolds and Ryan Leaf also.

He is gonna be a good receiving tight end at best. Not a game changer. Mercedes Lewis has better intangibles.

RashanGary
04-16-2006, 10:22 PM
It was a flattering article. I am just saying he isn't all its cracked up to be.

I can find many articles flattering to Jamal Reynolds and Ryan Leaf also.

He is gonna be a good receiving tight end at best. Not a game changer. Mercedes Lewis has better intangibles.

Whats funny is that somebody noted the Dr. Z artical as a rip on Davis and it was a major compliment to his game changing ability. If that artical was the worste we can find on Davis then I'm even more excited about having him on our team. Go TT

HarveyWallbangers
04-16-2006, 11:35 PM
I do worry that Vernon Davis is getting overrated. I've read some teams don't have him that high. His blocking is not up to par yet, he's a little short, and he didn't come close to being an All-American. You wonder why the production fell short in college with this guy.

RashanGary
04-17-2006, 12:23 AM
I do worry that Vernon Davis is getting overrated. I've read some teams don't have him that high. His blocking is not up to par yet, he's a little short, and he didn't come close to being an All-American. You wonder why the production fell short in college with this guy.

You wonder if having a below average college QB contributed to that.

There are players like Randy Moss, Steve Smith ect...who play better in the NFL because they have good QB's throwing to them. But he did have a great season. In a 12 game season he had almost 900 yds. Not too many college WR's break the 1000 yd mark

HarveyWallbangers
04-17-2006, 12:36 AM
You don't like Sam Hollenbach?
:D

871 is very good for a TE, but a shitload of college wideouts had 1000 yards. Davis ranked 45th in the country in receiving yards.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/sortables?stat=rec&sort=recyds&season=3&year=2005&group=80

You'd think somebody this unstoppable would have broken the mold. Randy Moss had over 1600 receiving yards and 25 TDs his senior year at Marshall.

RashanGary
04-17-2006, 01:37 AM
Point taken....

I was too lazy to research but I'll include that point in my future assessment :)

Partial
04-18-2006, 11:51 AM
I like Hawk too but I've seen Davis play and I know he's an amazing pass catcher. Even if he couldn't block he's still one of the best recievers in the game but throw in the fact that he's a good blocker and you have one of the NFLs most complete players at any position.

The people who get paid to scout players disagree. Directly from profootball weekly -

(Maryland TE) Vernon Davis is not dumb when you are talking to him — he just does not have a good base of football knowledge or really understand how to convert routes. … There’s a big difference between scouting and looking at numbers (production, height, weight and speed). Davis may have better numbers than (Jeremy) Shockey and (Kellen) Winslow (Jr.), but he is not nearly as refined of a pass catcher as either were coming out. Go back and watch Davis and show me one catch he makes where he does not have to stop to bring in the ball. No one can deny his physical ability, but he’s got a lot of work cut out for him.”