PDA

View Full Version : McGinn has spoken - Packers will pick Kenny Clark

Patler
04-28-2016, 04:53 AM
Here is his analysis of why:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/best-bet-packers-choose-ucla-nose-tackle-kenny-clark-b99714824z1-377378711.html

Patler
04-28-2016, 05:02 AM
Over at the GBPG, the writers predict it this way:

PETE DOUGHERTY - A’Shawn Robinson
RYAN WOOD - Reggie Ragland
STU COURTNEY - Noah Spence

Patler
04-28-2016, 05:36 AM
Last year, McGinn predicted that GB would trade out of the 1st round with Baltimore.
He also predicted that Randall would be picked at #20 by Philadelphia.

Maxie the Taxi
04-28-2016, 06:16 AM
Why pick him in the 1st Rnd when Fanspeak let me pick him in the 3rd?:-)

27: R1P27
DE KEVIN DODD
CLEMSON

57: R2P26
OT JACK CONKLIN
MICHIGAN STATE

88: R3P25
DT KENNY CLARK
UCLA

125: R4P27
ILB AARON WALLACE
UCLA

131: R4P33
DT DAVID ONYEMATA
MANITOBA (CANADA)

137: R4P39
DE JAMES COWSER
SOUTHERN UTAH

163: R5P24
CB RYAN SMITH
NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL

200: R6P25
WR PAUL MC ROBERTS
SE MISSOURI STATE

248: R7P27
RB TYLER ERVIN
SAN JOSE ST.

pbmax
04-28-2016, 07:22 AM
Having a Kenny Peterson flashback. Is that the guys name from Ohio State that Sherm took?

swede
04-28-2016, 07:24 AM
Why pick him in the 1st Rnd when Fanspeak let me pick him in the 3rd?:-)

27: R1P27
DE KEVIN DODD
CLEMSON

57: R2P26
OT JACK CONKLIN
MICHIGAN STATE

88: R3P25
DT KENNY CLARK
UCLA

I have no idea why the mock draft sites have such little regard for him.

They label him as a first day athlete and then he regularly drops to the last first day player taken.

Pigskin Paul likes Clark or Vernon Butler for us. Butler gets the edge in athleticism and versatility. It bothers some that Clark played unusually far off the LOS. It bothers some that Butler rarely saw or defeated double teams.

I'm hoping for a DT. I'd be okay with those two. I'd like to see Javon Hargrave later if we miss on a DT in the first.

mraynrand
04-28-2016, 07:25 AM
Having a Kenny Peterson flashback. Is that the guys name from Ohio State that Sherm took?

oh god

mraynrand
04-28-2016, 07:31 AM
Enrico Pallazzo at PFF has the Packers taking Floyd in an older mock

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/03/02/draft-mock-draft-4-0-jalen-ramsey-surges-to-no-1-overall-pick/

Maxie the Taxi
04-28-2016, 07:53 AM
I have no idea why the mock draft sites have such little regard for him.

They label him as a first day athlete and then he regularly drops to the last first day player taken.

Pigskin Paul likes Clark or Vernon Butler for us. Butler gets the edge in athleticism and versatility. It bothers some that Clark played unusually far off the LOS. It bothers some that Butler rarely saw or defeated double teams.

I'm hoping for a DT. I'd be okay with those two. I'd like to see Javon Hargrave later if we miss on a DT in the first.

Nowadays IMO the three qualities NFL scouts look for in virtually every DL/LB position are pass rush, pass rush and pass rush. I think they see Clark as more of a run stuffer. One analyst says he "showed a knack for batting down passes, breaking up five on the year." I like that about him, but some take it as meaning he doesn't get to the QB a lot. Plus, he's only 20 years old and may not be able to step right in and start in the NFL. I think he'll slip to #27 and might even be available at #57. But 3rd Round? Not likely.

pbmax
04-28-2016, 08:24 AM
From Bobby:

The Packers can't even line up on defense next season unless general manager Ted Thompson uses at the minimum two and more likely three of his nine selections on defensive linemen.

2015: Raji, Daniels, Jones, Guion (suspension), Pennel, Ringo, Gaston (dropped) [Boyd injured]

2016: Daniels, Guion, Pennel, Boyd, Ringo, William Campbell, BJ McBride

Forget McBride and Campbell. You have your two preferred starters and 3 backups including a nose. I don't see this as apocalyptically as Bob. They need a pass rush DT. I cannot see them picking 3 D lineman in this draft unless there is someone who falls and is just too good to pass up 4th round comp pick or later.

If Raji wasn't exaggerating about the money, I guess I can see them taking a nose. But I hate that this might be a need draft on the line. Never goes well.

mraynrand
04-28-2016, 08:37 AM
But I hate that this might be a need draft on the line. Never goes well.

no kidding, right? When has a rookie DL come in and been a total stud? Even Raji at #9 was just OK in 2009. Justin Harrell: COL (cry out loud). Not counting tweeners Reynold, Perry and Neal, The Packers basically have drafted two decent lineman in the last 18 years: Raji and Daniels (Jones? is he DL or OLB?? now he's a tweener too). KGB was a tweener too, so you have to go all the way back to Vonnie Holliday. Packers suck at drafting interior linemen. You could fill a school bus with Packer DL picks, drive it over a cliff, and the organization would never know the difference.

pbmax
04-28-2016, 08:43 AM
I blame Sherm for keeping Hunt over Holliday.

I get the nose tackle issue for 4 games. A lot might be riding on Boyd's health. I could see them rolling the dice at NT for that stretch but what a gamble. I am hoping some Top 10 talent falls to Ted to save him from going need. :lol:

Patler
04-28-2016, 08:57 AM
no kidding, right? When has a rookie DL come in and been a total stud? Even Raji at #9 was just OK in 2009. Justin Harrell: COL (cry out loud). Not counting tweeners Reynold, Perry and Neal, The Packers basically have drafted two decent lineman in the last 18 years: Raji and Daniels (Jones? is he DL or OLB?? now he's a tweener too). KGB was a tweener too, so you have to go all the way back to Vonnie Holliday. Packers suck at drafting interior linemen. You could fill a school bus with Packer DL picks, drive it over a cliff, and the organization would never know the difference.

Over the last 15 years, the two who contributed the most as rookies were probably Raji and CJ Wilson. Wilson played a lot in 2010 as a rookie. That's not saying much, is it?

woodbuck27
04-28-2016, 09:27 AM
Here is his analysis of why:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/best-bet-packers-choose-ucla-nose-tackle-kenny-clark-b99714824z1-377378711.html

One word.... NO !

NT Kenny Clark will go much later than at NO. 27.

If TT picks him and obviously McGinn hopes so....Ted will be hung in Green Bay soon upon arrival.

Striker
04-28-2016, 09:28 AM

Gave me flashbacks to Sherman's 3 (4 depending on who you credit 2001 to) drafts in general...

2001:
1 10 Jamal Reynolds DE Florida State
2 41 Robert Ferguson WR Texas A&M
3 71 Bhawoh Jue SS Penn State
3 72 Torrance Marshall LB Oklahoma
4 105 Bill Ferrario G Wisconsin
6 198 David Martin TE Tennessee

2002:
1 20 Javon Walker WR Florida State
3 92 Marques Anderson SS UCLA
4 135 Najeh Davenport FB Miami (Fla.)
5 156 Aaron Kampman DE Iowa
5 164 Craig Nall QB Northwestern State-Louisiana
6 200 Mike Houghton G San Diego State

2003:
1 29 Nick Barnett MLB Oregon State
3 79 Kenny Peterson DE Ohio State
5 147 James Lee DT Oregon State
5 166 Hunter Hillenmeyer LB Vanderbilt
6 212 Brennan Curtin T Notre Dame
7 245 Chris Johnson DB Louisville
7 253 DeAndrew Rubin -- South Florida
7 256 Carl Ford WR Toledo
7 257 Steve Josue LB Carson-Newman

2004:
1 25 Ahmad Carroll CB Arkansas
3 70 Joey Thomas CB Montana State
3 72 Donnell Washington DT Clemson
3 87 B.J. Sander P Ohio State
6 179 Corey Williams DT Arkansas State
7 251 Scott Wells C Tennessee

mraynrand
04-28-2016, 09:36 AM
I blame Sherm for keeping Hunt over Holliday.

Where is 'ol Cleedeeus when you need him?

SMBASS
04-28-2016, 09:50 AM

Lol! No kidding...the Packers do suck at drafting DL players. Heck, Bruce Clark from Penn State who may have historically been one of our better DL picks didn't even want to play for the Packers and went to the CFL instead! Most of our impactful DL players in the past 25 years came to GB via free agency. (Reggie, Santana Dotson, Sean Jones, Ryan Pickett, Gilbert Brown, and a couple of others.) Cullen Jenkins was signed as an UDFA so I guess that counts for a little bit. Johnny Jolly was pretty good value for a 6th Rd. pick but flamed out pretty quickly due to injuries and off field issues. Aaron Kampman had a pretty good career for a 5th Rd. pick.

I agree that Vonnie Holliday was probably the last d-lineman taken with a high pick, (First 3 rounds.) who we actually received adequate value from. Raji was ok but his career has been inconsistent and somewhat injury plagued and Daniels has been okay so far. And let's not forget the illustrious career of Jamal Reynolds who Sherman even traded up to get.

Just far too many Jonathan Browns, Kenny Petersons, Donnell Washington's, Jerel Worthy's, Khyri Thorton's, Steve Warren's, Darius Holland's, etc., etc. on that list.

pbmax
04-28-2016, 09:54 AM
nm

Maxie the Taxi
04-28-2016, 09:58 AM
Another problem in choosing D-linemen is they might have built their reputation against weak O-linemen. How did they do the few times they played against an NFL caliber O-lineman is the big question.

That, by the way, is another rap on Clark. He did well and padded his stats against inferior competitors.

Striker
04-28-2016, 09:59 AM
Lol! No kidding...the Packers do suck at drafting DL players. Heck, Bruce Clark from Penn State who may have historically been one of our better DL picks didn't even want to play for the Packers and went to the CFL instead! Most of our impactful DL players in the past 25 years came to GB via free agency. (Reggie, Santana Dotson, Sean Jones, Ryan Pickett, Gilbert Brown, and a couple of others.) Cullen Jenkins was signed as an UDFA so I guess that counts for a little bit. Johnny Jolly was pretty good value for a 6th Rd. pick but flamed out pretty quickly due to injuries and off field issues. Aaron Kampman had a pretty good career for a 5th Rd. pick.

I agree that Vonnie Holliday was probably the last d-lineman taken with a high pick, (First 3 rounds.) who we actually received adequate value from. Raji was ok but his career has been inconsistent and somewhat injury plagued and Daniels has been okay so far. And let's not forget the illustrious career of Jamal Reynolds who Sherman even traded up to get.

Just far too many Jonathan Browns, Kenny Petersons, Donnell Washington's, Jerel Worthy's, Khyri Thorton's, Steve Warren's, Darius Holland's, etc., etc. on that list.

KGB!

woodbuck27
04-28-2016, 10:02 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2632116-revisiting-the-biggest-draft-bust-in-each-nfl-teams-history/page/13

A reminder !

One of the biggest blown picks of all time:

The Green Bay Packers picked T Tony Mandarich from Michigan State at NO. 2 overall in the 1989 Draft.

The Dallas Cowboys grabbed quarterback Troy Aikman at No. 1.

In order, that pick was followed by the Green Bay Packers choosing T Tony Mandarich.

At NO. 3 the Detroit Lions picked arguably the best all time RB running back in Barry Sanders after Cleveland's Jim Brown.

At NO. 4 the Kansas City Chiefs chose outstanding linebacker Derrick Thomas.

At NO. 5 the Atlanta Falcons went with what arguably is the greatest All Time CB in Deion Sanders.

Good Golly Miss Molly...Ouch !

Freak Out
04-28-2016, 10:02 AM
SHERMAN!

SMBASS
04-28-2016, 10:03 AM
KGB!

As Rand said, KGB was another one of those, "tweeners" but he could get after the QB and had a darn good career for a 5th round pick.

SMBASS
04-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Another problem in choosing D-linemen is they might have built their reputation against weak O-linemen. How did they do the few times they played against an NFL caliber O-lineman is the big question.

That, by the way, is another rap on Clark. He did well and padded his stats against inferior competitors.

I really don't remember too much about Clark's college career Maxie. I just remember being a Pack fan during those dark days in the 70's and 80's and thinking man we must really, really suck when a player would rather go to the CFL than sign with us! Lol!

pbmax
04-28-2016, 10:11 AM
I really don't remember too much about Clark's college career Maxie. I just remember being a Pack fan during those dark days in the 70's and 80's and thinking man we must really, really suck when a player would rather go to the CFL than sign with us! Lol!

Two different Clarks. One is getting drafted this year. One was drafted long ago.

SMBASS
04-28-2016, 10:18 AM
Two different Clarks. One is getting drafted this year. One was drafted long ago.

Gotcha PB...Maxie is talking about this year's Kenny Clark from UCLA. I misunderstood and thought that he was talking about Bruce after my initial post. All I know is I sure hope we don't go with this year's Clark in the 1st. (Or the one from 1980 either!)

woodbuck27
04-28-2016, 10:20 AM
As Rand said, KGB was another one of those, "tweeners" but he could get after the QB and had a darn good career for a 5th round pick.

KGB was good early in his career but a tad light and his sweep move got over tired.

pbmax
04-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Gotcha PB...Maxie is talking about this year's Kenny Clark from UCLA. I misunderstood and thought that he was talking about Bruce after my initial post. All I know is I sure hope we don't go with this year's Clark in the 1st. (Or the one from 1980 either!)

The elder would bring the requisite veteran leadership though. So he has that going for him!

Fritz
04-28-2016, 10:26 AM
Gave me flashbacks to Sherman's 3 (4 depending on who you credit 2001 to) drafts in general...

2001:
1 10 Jamal Reynolds DE Florida State
2 41 Robert Ferguson WR Texas A&M
3 71 Bhawoh Jue SS Penn State
3 72 Torrance Marshall LB Oklahoma
4 105 Bill Ferrario G Wisconsin
6 198 David Martin TE Tennessee

2002:
1 20 Javon Walker WR Florida State
3 92 Marques Anderson SS UCLA
4 135 Najeh Davenport FB Miami (Fla.)
5 156 Aaron Kampman DE Iowa
5 164 Craig Nall QB Northwestern State-Louisiana
6 200 Mike Houghton G San Diego State

2003:
1 29 Nick Barnett MLB Oregon State
3 79 Kenny Peterson DE Ohio State
5 147 James Lee DT Oregon State
5 166 Hunter Hillenmeyer LB Vanderbilt
6 212 Brennan Curtin T Notre Dame
7 245 Chris Johnson DB Louisville
7 253 DeAndrew Rubin -- South Florida
7 256 Carl Ford WR Toledo
7 257 Steve Josue LB Carson-Newman

2004:
1 25 Ahmad Carroll CB Arkansas
3 70 Joey Thomas CB Montana State
3 72 Donnell Washington DT Clemson
3 87 B.J. Sander P Ohio State
6 179 Corey Williams DT Arkansas State
7 251 Scott Wells C Tennessee

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROrSlgyg6uSYzjdBDBSF5tdURgKLYhR 7qa_Gg2NiWHkcQou2Cj

I'd say he missed pretty badly.

mraynrand
04-28-2016, 11:32 AM
^^^ Fritz, is that Najeh Davenport's bathroom?

swede
04-28-2016, 01:25 PM

..other than the missing bus.

Guiness
04-28-2016, 02:09 PM
I agree that Vonnie Holliday was probably the last d-lineman taken with a high pick, (First 3 rounds.) who we actually received adequate value from.

Depends how you assess value. I'd say the Pack got decent value out of Cletius' rookie contract...

mraynrand
04-29-2016, 12:40 AM
I forgot about Kampman. He was OK.

Fritz
04-29-2016, 05:57 AM
^^^ Fritz, is that Najeh Davenport's bathroom?

Nah. He's got a laundry basket in his.

pbmax
04-29-2016, 08:11 AM
I forgot about Kampman. He was OK.

Attitude problems.