PDA

View Full Version : Is McGinn's network of scouts starting to lose it?

Patler
04-28-2016, 08:29 AM
First, we had pbMax reporting this:

Bob's anonymous scout reporting for his draft guide is taking a beating on the Internets.

Mike Renner @PFF_Mike
Possibly the dumbest anon scout quote of the draft season

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cg_F9sZWYAUmz5f.jpg:large

Now there is this:

Should a college kid's inability to cook more than ramen noodles be held against him in NFL war rooms?

A sane person would say no, but in one of Bob McGinn's popular draft profiles at The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Apple's perceived culinary shortcomings are cited as a red flag for the 20-year-old cornerback.

"I worry about him because of off-the-field issues," said an unnamed scout. "The kid has no life skills. At all. Can't cook. Just a baby. He's not first round for me. He scares me to death."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000656383/article/unnamed-scout-eli-apples-inability-to-cook-is-red-flag

Apple, his family and team mates deny it, saying he actuall is a decent cook (if that even matters).

mraynrand
04-28-2016, 08:46 AM
cooking is just one life skill. If you have a kid who is totally lost in those skills, I'd say it's a problem.

As an aside, and sticking with cooking - nutrition is huge for pro athletes - if they are totally incompetent in managing that, it can really affect everything. I know they get help from the team, but it's really critical.

pbmax
04-28-2016, 08:54 AM
cooking is just one life skill. If you have a kid who is totally lost in those skills, I'd say it's a problem.

As an aside, and sticking with cooking - nutrition is huge for pro athletes - if they are totally incompetent in managing that, it can really affect everything. I know they get help from the team, but it's really critical.

I agree, but how unique does that make him? Don't you think half the kids come into the League having eaten most of their calories for 3 or 4 years at the training table?

Patler
04-28-2016, 09:02 AM
I agree, but how unique does that make him? Don't you think half the kids come into the League having eaten most of their calories for 3 or 4 years at the training table?

That's the biggest point in my mind. They have no need to cook for themselves, and now even the pro teams are assuming that responsibility for them, too.

Besides, it seems the scout's take was actually wrong, as those who know him say he cooks well, and the article states his father is a chef, so there should be some familial exposure to those skills.

Maxie the Taxi
04-28-2016, 09:08 AM
"He's got an ugly girl friend!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWgyy_rlmag

mraynrand
04-28-2016, 09:43 AM

sure sure. That's why I separated the two things. Overall, if a kid's life skills are really bad, that's a legit warning sign.

As far as nutrition - yes, they'll get lots of help, because the team is paying for their healthy body. That doesn't mean they can't go and eat like crap otherwise, so that a guy who is more of an experienced cook is less likely to be shoving fast food down the pie hole.

mraynrand
04-28-2016, 09:44 AM
Besides, it seems the scout's take was actually wrong

I didn't mean to ignore this essential point