PDA

View Full Version : Ty Montgomery

Iamtheliquor
05-01-2016, 07:38 PM
I saw a few people have predicted the 53 man roster on other sites. At least two people thing Monty will start on the pup/ir list. Did I miss something or is his injury not healing?

gbgary
05-01-2016, 07:47 PM
just got off crutches a recently.

Joemailman
05-01-2016, 07:47 PM
This from Rotoworld via ESPN:

Ty Montgomery (ankle) will be limited in OTAs.
Montgomery hasn't had any setbacks from late-December surgery, but still isn't running. Coach Mike McCarthy doesn't expect Montgomery to be fully cleared until training camp.
Source: ESPN.com

Joemailman
05-01-2016, 07:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/29301/packers-ty-montgomery-continues-steady-comeback-from-ankle-injury

Although McCarthy said last month at the NFL meetings that he doesn’t expect Montgomery to be fully cleared until training camp, Montgomery impressed coaches last season with his ability to pick up the Packers’ offense quickly, even after missing most of the team’s organized team activity practices while finishing up his coursework at Stanford. That should help him make the most of the offseason program, even if he can’t do much physically.

Montgomery said while he isn’t running, he is “getting to that point,” doing unloaded running in the rehab pool and “incorporating more lower-body exercises” than he had been doing.

“Everything is moving smoothly,” Montgomery said. “My timeline is their timeline. We’re all working together and just making sure the best things happen for me [to get healthy].”

Iamtheliquor
05-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Thanks. Not sure how I managed to miss that.

Joemailman
05-01-2016, 08:03 PM
It's possible he could start on the PUP list. He'll need to pass a physical like everyone else, and his will obviously test the ankle. I'd be very surprised though if this carries over to the regular season.

Patler
05-01-2016, 08:28 PM
I don't know, with the Packers "doesn't expect to be cleared until training camp" tends to mean "will be lucky to clear by the start of the season."

Joemailman
05-01-2016, 08:48 PM
I don't know, with the Packers "doesn't expect to be cleared until training camp" tends to mean "will be lucky to clear by the start of the season."

Hard to say. It's fairly common for the Packers to hold out guys coming off off-season surgery until training camp. They will be cautious though. Don't want a repeat of last year.

Cheesehead Craig
05-01-2016, 09:26 PM
It's possible he could start on the PUP list. He'll need to pass a physical like everyone else, and his will obviously test the ankle. I'd be very surprised though if this carries over to the regular season.

This. I'm fully expecting this to be the case. They will give him as much time as possible to heal.

George Cumby
05-01-2016, 10:41 PM
This. I'm fully expecting this to be the case. They will give him as much time as possible to heal.

Yup. The Pack seem to be consistently cautious returning players coming off of injury.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2016, 11:39 PM
Especially if the other 6 receivers make it through camp healthy.

Fritz
05-02-2016, 09:15 AM
If he PUPS can't they keep him there right up until the start of the season?

pbmax
05-02-2016, 09:33 AM
If he PUPS can't they keep him there right up until the start of the season?

As long as he is on PUP at the start of camp (or whatever the failed physical designation is at that time) he can stay on PUP and be eligible to come back after Week 6 with a 3 week window to practice before having to choose to put him on the active roster.

Fritz
05-02-2016, 10:35 AM
I am going to predict, right here and now, that that's what they do with Montgomery.

gbgary
10-31-2016, 02:34 PM
turns out his health problem is cycle cell trait. hopes to play this weekend.

gbgary
01-26-2017, 11:25 AM
will stay at running back.

montgomery-will-remain-rb-wants-to-change-jersey-number (http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1217742-packers-montgomery-will-remain-rb-wants-to-change-jersey-number)

red
01-26-2017, 11:30 AM
Good, maybe next year fat mike will add a play that's called "throw the ball to the running back out of the backfield"

For a very pass heavy offense, it kind of amazing how little we do that

Cheesehead Craig
01-26-2017, 12:29 PM
Good, maybe next year fat mike will add a play that's called "throw the ball to the running back out of the backfield"

With Fat Eddy and Plodding Starks as your options, it's not surprising at all. I think they will incorporate more screens next year, especially if they get some more speed back there.

Damn I miss the days of Levens and Bennett running the hell out of screens.

gbgary
01-26-2017, 12:48 PM

you got that right...but remember...it's been big play or bust. i wish we ran a more conventional west coast o. te and wr are thrown to a lot. more plays from under center too. play action is your friend.

texaspackerbacker
01-26-2017, 01:06 PM
I'd like to see some screen passes too, but I kinda doubt it will happen. D Coordinators figured out quite a while ago that blitzing Aaron Rodgers is counterproductive. They also know that they usually can get quick and strong pressure with just 3 or 4 pass rushers. Screens work best when the opponent loads up for a big pass rush - usually blitzing. Since they don't much, we won't much.

Maxie the Taxi
01-26-2017, 02:47 PM
Doesn't have to be just screens. RB's can run routes too. Maybe we ought to send Stubby some David Johnson video tape.

pbmax
01-26-2017, 04:36 PM
I'd like to see some screen passes too, but I kinda doubt it will happen. D Coordinators figured out quite a while ago that blitzing Aaron Rodgers is counterproductive. They also know that they usually can get quick and strong pressure with just 3 or 4 pass rushers. Screens work best when the opponent loads up for a big pass rush - usually blitzing. Since they don't much, we won't much.

This season, blitzing Aaron Rodgers was very productive. Atlanta copied what Dallas did in second half.

They need to tighten up that pass blocking ship.

texaspackerbacker
01-26-2017, 05:31 PM
What worked as per what I saw was coming with a Safety or a Corner. When LBs came in, Rodgers just shed 'em like a duck in water. He had a harder time escaping speedy DBs though. I'm not sure if screens or something else are the solution to that. It seems to me, if we screened with a DB chasing Rodgers, 1 the play might not have time to set up and 2 the speedy DB probably could track down our RB from behind for a short gain. McCarthy's weakness seems to be adjusting on the fly - like when a team finds something that works like what you mentioned.

The subject of this thread, Ty Montgomery, was a large part of the problem. Having him at RB a full camp and preseason might get him shaped up as a pass blocker.

pbmax
01-26-2017, 06:19 PM
What worked as per what I saw was coming with a Safety or a Corner. When LBs came in, Rodgers just shed 'em like a duck in water. He had a harder time escaping speedy DBs though. I'm not sure if screens or something else are the solution to that. It seems to me, if we screened with a DB chasing Rodgers, 1 the play might not have time to set up and 2 the speedy DB probably could track down our RB from behind for a short gain. McCarthy's weakness seems to be adjusting on the fly - like when a team finds something that works like what you mentioned.

The subject of this thread, Ty Montgomery, was a large part of the problem. Having him at RB a full camp and preseason might get him shaped up as a pass blocker.

They were also getting him with delayed ILB blitzes that Linsley and Monty would not pick up. The LBS Dallas and Atlanta were sending were smaller and quicker than most and he couldn't avoid them.

gbgary
01-26-2017, 06:50 PM
these days screens just don't work anymore (unless maybe if they're called at the line when a blitz is read).

Smidgeon
01-26-2017, 09:17 PM
JSO said Linsley is "the Packers' future at center." Anyone agree with that?

Rutnstrut
01-26-2017, 10:34 PM
JSO said Linsley is "the Packers' future at center." Anyone agree with that?

He has some work to do as far as blitzes. But he is a tough, strong, scrapper. IMO, that is exactly what you want at center. I also think he needs to work on his shotgun snaps a bit. They seem weak and to barely get to AR sometimes.

Smidgeon
01-26-2017, 10:42 PM
He has some work to do as far as blitzes. But he is a tough, strong, scrapper. IMO, that is exactly what you want at center. I also think he needs to work on his shotgun snaps a bit. They seem weak and to barely get to AR sometimes.

Assuming both are healthy and will be healthy, do you prefer Tretter or Linsley?

pbmax
01-27-2017, 08:44 AM
Prefer Tretter. Think JSO is only saying that because for now, on March 1 or whatever day it might be, he will not be on the team without a new contract.

Deputy Nutz
01-27-2017, 11:53 AM
I also prefer Tretter. I think that he is a better overall athlete and gets to the second level better. He is also a smarter football player and does a nice job setting the line. He is also really good at getting out front on screens.

I would rather see Monty split reps with another running back, whether it is Lacy or someone else. I would like to see him in a Thurman Thomas type role catching the ball out of the backfield and not just sending him into the flat to be mirrored by an OLB.

Rutnstrut
01-27-2017, 12:06 PM
Assuming both are healthy and will be healthy, do you prefer Tretter or Linsley?

I like Linsley, imo he's a more gritty, hard nosed player. But honestly I think they would be fine with either. I would really like to see Tretter stay in GB.

woodbuck27
01-28-2017, 08:44 AM
I like Linsley, imo he's a more gritty, hard nosed player. But honestly I think they would be fine with either. I would really like to see Tretter stay in GB.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jctretter/2540292/profile

J.C. Tretter dressed for 31 and started only 10 games in four seasons.

smuggler
01-28-2017, 09:01 PM
Tretter is the superior player, but health is an issue it seems.

Pugger
01-29-2017, 12:26 AM
will stay at running back.

montgomery-will-remain-rb-wants-to-change-jersey-number (http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1217742-packers-montgomery-will-remain-rb-wants-to-change-jersey-number)

It will be interesting to see what number he takes.

He also needs work on his blitz pickup.

Upnorth
01-29-2017, 06:25 AM

That feels like above average for our starters this year...

mmmdk
01-29-2017, 07:21 AM
I like this Montgomery kid. I'm rooting for him.

vince
01-29-2017, 10:49 AM
I like this Montgomery kid. I'm rooting for him.
Me too. I know some people have expressed concern about his durability and I share that concern as well. Hopefully he'll take the offseason to learn how to run lower and behind his pads more. As has also been mentioned, he needs to learn how to pass protect more reliably but I don't see that being a long-term concern.

I'm convinced he'll be a serious weapon as long as he can stay healthy. He and a healthy and stealthy Lacy would make a serious combination. Lacy obviously doesn't need to be 230 but I'm a bit worried about his taste for southern cooking.

gbgary
01-29-2017, 11:24 AM

he was 7 at st. marks in dallas but Hundley has that. he'll take Starks' 44 (half of 88).

vince
01-29-2017, 11:44 AM
He'll take his 88 jersey, get himself some white duct tape at the Walmart, and turn it into a 38.

Anyone remember that Favre to Havner jersey transformation video?

texaspackerbacker
01-29-2017, 11:59 AM
He'll take his 88 jersey, get himself some white duct tape at the Walmart, and turn it into a 38.

Wow, finally something where you and I think alike.

woodbuck27
01-29-2017, 08:03 PM

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/disneyinfinityfanfiction/images/3/3a/118789-50597-stewie-griffin.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140724205954

Yup !

Getting that new number on his jersey will make all the difference.

pbmax
01-30-2017, 10:16 AM

McGinn's numbers:

Of the Packers’ 72 games over the last four seasons, he was healthy enough to play in just 35.

Linsley seems to be similar: 58 games in his 3 years, seems to have been active for 38, played in 28.

pbmax
01-30-2017, 02:06 PM
McGinn's numbers:

Of the Packers’ 72 games over the last four seasons, he was healthy enough to play in just 35.

Linsley seems to be similar: 58 games in his 3 years, seems to have been active for 38, played in 28.

If you eliminate the freak broken ankle during a fumble recovery drill in his rookie season, Tretter is at 31 possible games, 23 available.

Rutnstrut
01-30-2017, 03:16 PM
If you eliminate the freak broken ankle during a fumble recovery drill in his rookie season, Tretter is at 31 possible games, 23 available.

Didn't Linsley get hurt last year while working out? If he would have been a couch potato he would have been available for more games.

pbmax
01-30-2017, 03:27 PM
Didn't Linsley get hurt last year while working out? If he would have been a couch potato he would have been available for more games.

Don't remember.

But Tretter doesn't seem any more injury prone than Linsley. I hope he comes back.

I also think Bob is dead wrong on Spriggs. I saw very little that discouraged me about his pro prospects. He will be a better Tackle than Guard, but I bet he could be a Guard if they committed to it.

Rutnstrut
01-30-2017, 04:14 PM
I really would like to see Tretter back as well. So that probably means he won't be.

Fritz
01-31-2017, 10:42 AM
After reading that description somewhere in the JSO about how fat Eddie Lacy is now, I am glad Montgomery is becoming a full-time running back. Sign ol' Eddie to a one-year deal with (weight) incentives, and pair them up. As ripped as Montgomery is, you could call them "Muscle & Fat."

Zool
01-31-2017, 11:14 AM
After reading that description somewhere in the JSO about how fat Eddie Lacy is now, I am glad Montgomery is becoming a full-time running back. Sign ol' Eddie to a one-year deal with (weight) incentives, and pair them up. As ripped as Montgomery is, you could call them "Muscle & Fat."

How about Meat and Potatoes?

Or Steak and Cake?

Rutnstrut
01-31-2017, 11:26 AM

A designated RB yes. But there is no way he can handle being a 3 down back. Well in Stubby's O he maybe could, as the most he will have to run in any game would be 10 times.

Deputy Nutz
01-31-2017, 12:30 PM
I think the Packers could be better off looking in the draft for back to complement Monty. Lacy has had his moments with the Packers but both sides should move on unless a favorable deal would be in the works, but even then the Packers would look to secure the position by drafting another back.

Personally I would look to draft a back in the mid rounds depending on how the draft shakes out. I like DOnta Foreman from Texas. He is a big back over 240 pounds, he doesn't have very good top end speed on films, but he hits top gear within the first 5 yards of the LOS. He has good vision, in fact he reminds me a lot of Eddie Lacy. Hopefully he keeps his diet in check.

Also Samaje Perine from Oklahoma is also a bigger back (235) that has a better top end speed than Foreman, he is a very strong runner looking to deliver a blow to tacklers. He has some fancy balance and changes levels well, although he runs high at times.

Fritz
01-31-2017, 12:54 PM
Lacy's production was nearly ideal for what the Packers needed: someone who can get you the third-and-one strictly based on power, yet has enough burst to get those all-important seven or eight yard gains, too. But if they can get that from someone else, okay by me. Still, I'd rather see them re-sign Lacy for a year, which affords them the luxury of drafting a guy down into the middle rounds who can develop.

Zool
01-31-2017, 01:11 PM
Fat Man and Little Boy?

red
01-31-2017, 01:44 PM
Lacy's production was nearly ideal for what the Packers needed: someone who can get you the third-and-one strictly based on power, yet has enough burst to get those all-important seven or eight yard gains, too. But if they can get that from someone else, okay by me. Still, I'd rather see them re-sign Lacy for a year, which affords them the luxury of drafting a guy down into the middle rounds who can develop.

it all depends on how big he's gotten

if he's pushing 300 then his career might be over

sounds like he has a lot of weight to lose in a small amount of time before anyone signs him. and he doesn't have a lot of time to do it

if he can get back to that 240 range, then bring him back. but if he's just as big as he started this year at, he's probably just gonna get hurt again, or wear down

Pugger
02-01-2017, 11:27 AM
Lacy did show he could come to camp and produce after an offseason of conditioning. He was averaging over 5 yards a carry last fall before he screwed up that ankle of his.

pbmax
02-01-2017, 12:04 PM
Lacy did show he could come to camp and produce after an offseason of conditioning. He was averaging over 5 yards a carry last fall before he screwed up that ankle of his.

Worried about the up and down pattern. He clearly can train and be disciplined, but on his own he obviously eats/trains in a way to put on bad weight.

Cheesehead Craig
02-01-2017, 12:43 PM
I think the Packers could be better off looking in the draft for back to complement Monty. Lacy has had his moments with the Packers but both sides should move on unless a favorable deal would be in the works, but even then the Packers would look to secure the position by drafting another back.

Personally I would look to draft a back in the mid rounds depending on how the draft shakes out. I like DOnta Foreman from Texas. He is a big back over 240 pounds, he doesn't have very good top end speed on films, but he hits top gear within the first 5 yards of the LOS. He has good vision, in fact he reminds me a lot of Eddie Lacy. Hopefully he keeps his diet in check.

Also Samaje Perine from Oklahoma is also a bigger back (235) that has a better top end speed than Foreman, he is a very strong runner looking to deliver a blow to tacklers. He has some fancy balance and changes levels well, although he runs high at times.

I saw more of Perine and agree he'd be a nice mid round back to get.

texaspackerbacker
02-01-2017, 08:14 PM
I don't much like Perine - or that whole type of RB. The success of Montgomery more than Lacy ought to demonstrate that we need somebody with a quick start and better cutting ability. From that perspective, Perine is not even the top pro prospect on his team. That would be Mixon, who I would very much like to see the Packers get.

Rutnstrut
02-01-2017, 11:14 PM
I don't much like Perine - or that whole type of RB. The success of Montgomery more than Lacy ought to demonstrate that we need somebody with a quick start and better cutting ability. From that perspective, Perine is not even the top pro prospect on his team. That would be Mixon, who I would very much like to see the Packers get.

Does it really matter who they get? Stubby won't run the ball anyway, especially if they get someone that is good.

bobblehead
02-02-2017, 01:54 AM
Don't remember.

But Tretter doesn't seem any more injury prone than Linsley. I hope he comes back.

I also think Bob is dead wrong on Spriggs. I saw very little that discouraged me about his pro prospects. He will be a better Tackle than Guard, but I bet he could be a Guard if they committed to it.

He needs at least 20 lbs of muscle. He has no anchor at the moment. Not an entirely uncommon problem for a rookie OL. I am ok with his footwork, and even his hands are solid for a rookie.

bobblehead
02-02-2017, 01:59 AM
Does it really matter who they get? Stubby won't run the ball anyway, especially if they get someone that is good.

He runs early, and sticks with it if he has success. Its when we fail a few times he decides throwing 40 passes is ideal.

I would see monty in a sproles type role. Throw him some dumps, some designed screens. Before MM will do that though he needs to become 100% on his blitz pick up. He was the worst we have had at that in a long time (because he had been playing WR and hadn't worked on recognition....I hope).

gbgary
12-01-2017, 03:42 PM
put on IR today and they activated wr michael clark. cool.

call_me_ishmael
12-01-2017, 03:54 PM
3 years in and Monty really hasn't done much. Dang, I thought he'd be a good player for us.

mraynrand
12-01-2017, 04:37 PM
put on IR today and they activated wr michael clark. cool.

can Michael Clark run the ball?

pbmax
12-01-2017, 05:00 PM
Don't remember.

Still riding the SPRIGGS™ train!

pbmax
12-01-2017, 05:03 PM
Monty apparently aggravated a wrist injury and it was not the ribs that knocked him off roster.

Packer Report @PackerReport
Interesting that Montgomery is on IR with wrist. Was on Week 4 injury report with it before the ribs.

pbmax
12-01-2017, 05:05 PM
If Silverstein wrote a blog about all the things he puts together just by watching that others struggle to see, I would actually pay for it.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
Montgomery has been dealing with the wrist injury off and on since before the first Chicago game. More than likely #Packers or he decided it wasn't going to get better and should be taken care of now. No word whether surgery is necessary.

I will not pay for McGinn to keep telling me the Packers needs big back/mudder to run and win in December, as Mike Holmgren taught him.

Rutnstrut
12-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Shocker that Ty is on IR. I'm pretty sure someone said he would miss a lot of playing time this year. He's just fragile.

Teamcheez1
12-01-2017, 05:22 PM
I doubt the Packers have learned, but Montgomery doesn't belong at RB. Certainly not a starter.

gbgary
12-01-2017, 06:15 PM
can Michael Clark run the ball?

can't do anything on practice squad. i'm guessing some team was sniffing around clark so they decided to do this.

call_me_ishmael
12-01-2017, 09:10 PM
I think Ty is back at receiver next year. He’s more quick than fast. I’d like to see him in the slot.

Bretsky
12-01-2017, 11:05 PM
Still riding the SPRIGGS™ train!

It's good there are a few of u left because there is no room on the SpriggsSux Train

gbgary
12-02-2017, 06:20 PM
I think Ty is back at receiver next year. He’s more quick than fast. I’d like to see him in the slot.

i'll bet he stays at rb.

Bretsky
12-02-2017, 06:26 PM
I liked Montgomery as a WR as well; he ran nice patterns.
Adam is our best WR; can pay him as well as keep Nelson and Cobb ??

Joemailman
12-03-2017, 12:09 AM
I liked Montgomery as a WR as well; he ran nice patterns.
Adam is our best WR; can pay him as well as keep Nelson and Cobb ??

Nelson and Cobb's contracts end after 2018 season. They should be able to structure an extension for Adams so that the big cap hits don't start until 2019. Monty could be a good replacement for Cobb. I think he runs too high to survive as a RB.

pbmax
12-03-2017, 08:43 AM
Nelson and Cobb's contracts end after 2018 season. They should be able to structure an extension for Adams so that the big cap hits don't start until 2019. Monty could be a good replacement for Cobb. I think he runs too high to survive as a RB.

He is two for two on rib injuries.