PDA

View Full Version : Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed by Critter!!!

CaliforniaCheez
09-04-2006, 12:33 AM
http://www.freddynietzsche.com/images/australia_zoo_splash_131.jpg

Dead. He was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest and reportedly into his heart .

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when the tragedy occured.

Don't go mucking with critters if you are not going to eat them.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html

FavreChild
09-04-2006, 12:40 AM
Holy FUDGE!!

I really don't know what more to say than that. At least he lived an adventurous life....?

Damn!

BananaMan
09-04-2006, 12:49 AM
sucks, i liked the guy.

Tarlam!
09-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Yah know, I watched this guy from time to time and I have to say, I am not surprised.

He exaggerated his Aussie Accent so badly - nobody speaks that broadly in Australia, well, nobody with an education, anyway.

But the point is, he should have been dead on any number of bizzare and stupid activities. He made a habit out of provoking lethal animals.

I'm not surprised by this at all. Still, the world was a better place when he was here. He did tons for animal welfare.

GrnBay007
09-04-2006, 01:46 AM
Was always fun to watch.

At least he died doing what he loved.

No Mo Moss
09-04-2006, 02:05 AM
That fuckin sucks!!!!!!!!RIP Steve....Crikey!

Kiwon
09-04-2006, 04:28 AM
The kids are really going to be upset. RIP, Steve-O.

justanotherpackfan
09-04-2006, 05:25 AM
:shock: I can't believe it. :cry:

BallHawk
09-04-2006, 07:29 AM
He did a lot of good for animal welfare, but is anybody really surprised he's dead? He made his show of seeing how close he could get to animals before they tried to bite him. If you play with fire you'll eventually get burned. Regardless, he was a good man, RIP.

MJZiggy
09-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Wow. What a way to go. RIP dude.

GBRulz
09-04-2006, 08:54 AM
I just read about this, too. I always liked the guy...a little crazy, but his dedication to animals was incredible.

God Bless his family; he leaves behind a wife and two young children. Whether you like the guy or not, you can't help but feel bad for all those who are affected.

RIP CROCODILE HUNTER

Iron Mike
09-04-2006, 09:05 AM
OUCH!! That must have hurt!

http://www.stingraycitytrips.com/images/jpeg/afp_northsound_stingray.jpg

retailguy
09-04-2006, 09:32 AM
rip, what a way to go....

HarveyWallbangers
09-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Apparently, he was taping a show called "The Sea's Deadliest Creatures."

BallHawk
09-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Apparently, he was taping a show called "The Sea's Deadliest Creatures."

Well I guess he proved that one. :sad:

No Mo Moss
09-04-2006, 10:37 AM
He was actually filming a segment to show that stingrays aren't a mean creature. The stinging barb just happened to hit him in between the ribs, sliding to his heart and puncturing it. Irwin is only the 4th reported stingray death reported in Austrailia in the last 100 years. That sucks!

oregonpackfan
09-04-2006, 10:41 AM
I always admired his animated passion and dedication for the welfare of animals.

I agree with the posters who suggested he pushed the envelope too closely in his physical interactions with deadly animals.

His loss hits the local Northwest area as his wife was born and raised in Portland, Oregon. She met him and fell in love with him on a vacation to Australia.

Erwin leaves behind not only her but two young children. What a tragic loss.

OPF

red
09-04-2006, 11:06 AM
i can't really say i'm surprised, he tempted fate an awefull lot

its sad to see him go though. college wouldn't have been the same without watching him everynight

Brando19
09-04-2006, 03:20 PM
That's really sad. He was filming a documentary, so you know there's footage of his death. Wonder when that'll hit the internet? :roll: They may still show the documentary if he was close to being done with it, kinda like they did for the Grizzly Man. He was filming a documentary where he lived with Grizzly bears. Him and his g/f was eaten by one, but they still showed it on the Discovery Channel in honor of him.
RIP Steve Irwin. Always fun to watch. :cry:

BallHawk
09-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Grizzly man was a freakin' wacko, though. Not saying he deserved to die, not at all, but Irwin wasn't insane.

Mazzin
09-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Yea I think Irwin was insane as it gets...Like someone else says you mess with fire your bound to get burned, and no I'm sorry I don't feel bad for the idiot!

To help wildlife you don't have to be stupid and fuck with death...(mess with the bull, and you will get the horns) Why should I feel bad for him, I mean no offense he is NO HERO! A hero would be like the fireman during 911 who died and left family behind, and didn't even get that much money, i know its sad to lose family but Irwin left his family PLENTY of money, they aren't hurting.....So I'm not going to lie, I'm not sad.

Mazzin
09-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Sorry to double post but,

It's like in highschool this kid named Jared died in a car accident. Jared was doped up on coke, when he got in the accident. Also Jared thought he was the SHIT around highschool, when no one really liked him, he was a bully and harassed several girls frequently. I was never one of the girls he asked me out 2 times, and I politely told him "no". He actually left that at that, but anyways after his accident people that he harassed and picked on cried, and went to his funeral, and everyone was like why didn't you go? So i basically told him I didn't like him and i wasn't sad that he died, people we dont know die all the time, should we all just walk around being sad? I didn't like him so why be fake and go to his funeraL? So everyone was mad at me for a while about that, but if it were my funeral i wouldn't want people that didn't love me nor care for me to actually come.

red
09-04-2006, 06:14 PM
are you at all capable of making one post without swearing? its like you try and go out of your way to get them in there

this forum is rated PG for a reason

honestly, everyone of your posts should be in the garbage bin. its not that hard to edit them or leave them out. mad and the adminers, have asked more then a few times. its called having some respect for other posters

Charles Woodson
09-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Yea I think Irwin was insane as it gets...Like someone else says you mess with fire your bound to get burned, and no I'm sorry I don't feel bad for the idiot!

To help wildlife you don't have to be stupid and fuck with death...(mess with the bull, and you will get the horns) Why should I feel bad for him, I mean no offense he is NO HERO! A hero would be like the fireman during 911 who died and left family behind, and didn't even get that much money, i know its sad to lose family but Irwin left his family PLENTY of money, they aren't hurting.....So I'm not going to lie, I'm not sad.

look mazzin dont get me wrong, but thats a horrible post, i mean it doesnt matter if he was an idiot, thats why so many people liked him, i mean honestly ive never met someone who said they hated him for no reason, i mean this guy was a hero to some, i mean i doubt that many, if not any one in here would take his job knowing that any day could be his last... Im just saying that espically someone so young like him, its never nice to see them go...

GBRulz
09-04-2006, 06:32 PM

Yeah Irwin had money because he was somewhat of a celebrity. and he was a hero to many people for what he has done for animals. Saving them and creating awareness. Without people like him, the world would be far less educated in the animal world. yes, he was a bit zany, but that's just who he was. he was passionate about what he did. He also left behind a family and 2 small children, much like the firefighters that you speak of. do you think their jobs are not dangerous? Of course you do and they know that going into their profession, much like steve Irwin. So, why are they any less "idiots" than he?

BTW, each 9/11 family received at least a million dollars, so their families are not hurting like you claim. Why not ask the families of the soldiers who are dying in Iraq how much they are getting? Are they any less heroes?

BallHawk
09-04-2006, 06:53 PM
i know its sad to lose family but Irwin left his family PLENTY of money, they aren't hurting.....So I'm not going to lie, I'm not sad.

Ok Ashley, I'll make you a deal. I'll kill your father, but I'll give you $5 Million dollars in compensation. Surely you'll say yes. I mean when you have money, Who cares about family members? Am I right?

CaliforniaCheez
09-04-2006, 08:57 PM
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20355112-601,00.html

A LIFE-long friend of Steve Irwin today told how the Crocodile Hunter pulled a deadly stingray barb from his own chest before losing consciousness and dying.

Friend John Stainton said he had viewed footage of his friend's last moments and the images were "shocking".

"It's a very hard thing to watch because you're actually witnessing somebody die ... and it's terrible," he said.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone. That was it. The cameraman had to shut down."

The footage of the fatal attack on the Great Barrier Reef has been handed to Queensland police as fans worldwide come to grips with the "freak" death.

Irwin, 44, was killed almost instantly when the stingray stabbed him in the heart with its poisonous 20cm barb as he snorkelled off Port Douglas, in north Queensland, yesterday morning.

As tributes and salutes poured in from around the world, Queensland Premier Peter Beattie said Irwin would get a state funeral if that's what his family wanted.

"The footage shows him swimming in the water, the ray stopped and turned and that was it," said boatowner Peter West, who viewed the footage afterwards.

"There was no blood in the water, it was not that obvious ... something happened with this animal that made it rear and he was at the wrong position at the wrong time and if it hit him anywhere else we would not be talking about a fatality."

Irwin was shooting a documentary on dangerous marine life, in shallow water at Batt Reef, about 32 nautical miles offshore, at about 11am.

Tributes poured in from around the world for Irwin, a renowned environmentalist who was estimated to be earning more than $4million a year from his Queensland reptile park, Australia Zoo.

Footage of the attack shows Irwin swimming above a 2.5m stingray before it turns on him and sends a poisonous barb through his heart.

Irwin was pulled from the water by a cameraman and a crewman, put on an inflatable tender and taken to a support boat about 500m away.

Crewmembers say he was barely conscious in the minutes after the sting and died as his production team rushed him to his vessel, Croc One, and to a nearby island for emergency treatment.

A charter dive boat crew desperately tried to revive him on the beach, but were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead shortly afterwards by Queensland Rescue Service officers, who had flown to the area by helicopter.

Irwin's body was last night flown to Cairns where a post-mortem examination this morning confirmed Irwin was killed when the poisonous barb on the stingray's tail pierced his chest. Police have seized all available evidence and interviewed witnesses in order to prepare a report for the Coroner.

A coronial inquest is expected.

Producer, director and life-long friend John Stainton yesterday said Irwin did not provoke the stingray and was simply swimming above it when he was attacked.

"He came over the top of a stingray and the stingray barb went up and into his chest and into his heart," Stainton said.

"It's likely that he possibly died instantly when the barb hit him, and I hope he felt no pain."

One of Irwin's contemporaries, internationally known cameraman and spearfisherman Ben Cropp, was in his own boat off Port Douglas when Irwin was killed.

"I have just spoken to a cameraman friend who was there and has seen the footage," Mr Cropp told The Australian last night.

"He was up in the shallow water, probably 1.5m to 2m deep, following a bull ray which was about a metre across the body - probably weighing about 100kg, and it had quite a large spine.

"The cameraman was filming in the water."

Mr Cropp said the stingray was spooked and went into defensive mood.

"It probably felt threatened because Steve was alongside and there was the cameraman ahead, and it felt there was danger and it baulked.

"It stopped and went into a defensive mode and swung its tail with the spike.

"Steve unfortunately was in a bad position and copped it.

"Steve was so close he could not get away, so if you can imagine it - being right beside the ray and it swinging its spine upwards from underneath Steve - and it hit him.

Internationally renowned jellyfish sting expert Jamie Seymour was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

Irwin had decided yesterday morning to shoot a segment of film on stingrays for a new television program that will be hosted by his daughter, Bindi.

Surf Lifesavers national marine stinger adviser Lisa-Ann Gershwin said there had only been 17 fatal stingray attacks worldwide.

Dr Gershwin said stingray stings to the legs or arms were common and, while painful, were not normally considered dangerous. She said there were many different types of stingrays, with barbs on their tails up to 30cm long, and they poisoned victims with a range of toxins.

Mr West said the barb was like a "very rough knife" and while fatal stingray stings had been known to occur, filming and swimming alongside the animal was commonplace among marine filmmakers.

Mr Cropp said he was told that the strike was "close to the heart and Steve had a cardiac arrest".

"At first they treated him as being wounded, but he didn't survive unfortunately," he said.

"The second boat in attendance raced in to give assistance and they radioed for help.

"They went into Low Isle and met the chopper which took Steve's body out."

"They are not aggressive. In fact they are very timid, but they defend themselves by throwing their tail spine upwards, and there is a spike on the tip about eight inches long which they can use like a dagger."

Brando19
09-04-2006, 08:58 PM
This is turning into a pretty cold post. I don't think anyone should die. His job was to get up close with animals to teach all of us about them. I hate it that he was killed and I hate the way this post is turning out b/c some ppl have always got to say something ridiculous.

Mazzin
09-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Okay, I'm a little high, on my period (not pregnant), and honestly for once wasn't trying to stir the pot. Sorry guys I'm trying to get better. Sorry for the language, I forget because I always just think this is uncensored so it must be okay. Sorry guys! About the language, I have always had a dirty mouth. I guess since my father is a Chaplin in the military it's in my nature to be rebelious....and yes my father went over to Iraq for a year and half. I know what your thinking a chaplin must not do much, but he don't like talking about stuff that happened over there, other than funny stories, and he said he did get shot at....but i mean i think the soldiers in Iraq are awesome, don't support the cause, but I do support the soldiers.

Sorry once again guys I'm a work in progress I guess....I'm trying not to push everyones buttons so much, I really wanna get along with everyone sorry :sad:

Mazzin
09-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Also red im sorry, Mad has never personally asked me to stop cursing but I will try.

Little Whiskey
09-04-2006, 10:44 PM
sorry to further this threads hijacking.....but i don't think mazzin is out of line with her curse words. if i recall the only thing that is "censored" in the romper room is pics. lang. is okay. unless things have changed over the past week, i believe you can curse, just don't post those pics rated above PG. (oh ya and don't go ripping on people's wives either)

back on topic. I liked croc hunter. i enjoyed his show. but i think he tempted his own fate. at times, i remember thinking, wow he is pissing that animal off. i thought the south park parody was hilarious. and true.

slightly off topic....i agree with mazzin on the point that i get sick people, saying he or she was a great person that loved life. even when they were idiots!!!! in my town a few years back the cops were chasing a well known drug dealer thru the streets on a motorcycle after he decided that he decided to end his life by kissing that bike into a brick house. everyone in the town blamed the cops and if you listened to a majority of the people you would have thought this guy was mother thearesa instead of a drug dealer that sold to kids and was convicted of murder.

Jimx29
09-04-2006, 10:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBwRE4bo30o

Little Whiskey
09-04-2006, 11:04 PM
cyberski, i thought for a minute you had found his attack footage. that would have just been wrong!!! but i don't doubt it will get out there.

KYPack
09-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Okay, I'm a little high, on my period (not pregnant), and honestly for once wasn't trying to stir the pot. Sorry guys I'm trying to get better. Sorry for the language, I forget because I always just think this is uncensored so it must be okay. Sorry guys! About the language, I have always had a dirty mouth. I guess since my father is a Chaplin in the military it's in my nature to be rebelious....and yes my father went over to Iraq for a year and half. I know what your thinking a chaplin must not do much, but he don't like talking about stuff that happened over there, other than funny stories, and he said he did get shot at....but i mean i think the soldiers in Iraq are awesome, don't support the cause, but I do support the soldiers.

Sorry once again guys I'm a work in progress I guess....I'm trying not to push everyones buttons so much, I really wanna get along with everyone sorry :sad:

I dunno, Mazzin. You might tone down the language, it was a little salty, but not that bad.

I'm a long time scuba diver and have always been critical of Irwin & his handling of animals, both above and below the surface. He did a lot of stupid shit and manhandled creatures when it would be dangerous to do so.

That said, his death was a freak. I've manhandled and pulled on Rays several times in my dive career. They don't sting "at" you. They are chasing their next meal and have no interest in bothering people.

This is like a long time horseman, getting a fatal kick from a docile pony. It was a freak and although Irwin did a ton of stupid shit, this really wasn't one of 'em.

It's chaplain, BTW, not Chaplin.

Mazzin
09-05-2006, 04:28 PM
I know thanks for the correction, but i was high, and to be totally honest its okay if i miss spell stuff on here. Between school and work, im to lazy to worry about spelling on here, thanks for the correction though

MJZiggy
09-05-2006, 04:45 PM
The worst part to me is that it said in on of the articles that he was filming something for Bindi. She must be going nuts.

Steve Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry “Crikey!”. In an sad twist, it has been reported that his new documentary was aimed at demystifying the stingray. However Mr Stainton said Irwin was filming other footage for a program with Bindi at the time of the attack.

Jimx29
09-05-2006, 05:45 PM
cyberski, i thought for a minute you had found his attack footage. that would have just been wrong!!! but i don't doubt it will get out there.I believe it will be out there allot sooner than you think. I'll give it by the end of the month, and more than likely within a week. They have a good clip of it, and allot of people do wanna see it, no matter how morbid it is.

Tape exists of the attack (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/5314918.stm)

Mazzin
09-05-2006, 06:02 PM
http://break.com/index/steve_irwin_tribute.html

Check it out if you feel bad for him.

GBRulz
09-05-2006, 07:09 PM
yeah I have no doubt that soon enough, the tape of him will be out on the internet somewhere. I have no desire to see someone's death though.

That last time curiousity got the best of me was the Daniel Berg beheading. that was very disturbing to me. Never again

KYPack
09-05-2006, 08:02 PM
I know thanks for the correction, but i was high, and to be totally honest its okay if i miss spell stuff on here. Between school and work, im to lazy to worry about spelling on here, thanks for the correction though

Tis OK, Mazzin.

Good news on you getting your period. We are all on the edge of our seats every month since the "Uh-Oh" thread. That was a good one, BTW

There is a tape of Steve's demise. From what I've read, it's almost an innocous scene. The ray just nailed him, it's almost hard to see that anything happened.

Like I posted before, I've been diving with Stingrays at Stingray City in the Cayman Islands. there's tape of me punching, grabbing and messing around with a bunch of Stingrays. They never do anything to divers.

Until one crazy ray kills ya.

MadtownPacker
09-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Loss of a great man and the making of a legend. Much love to the Croc hunter and my deepest sorrows to his wife and kids.

woodbuck27
09-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Steve Irwin LIVED a far out there... Wonderful Life that he was so passionate about. I often envied him.

I always enjoyed this "wild and crazy" young man.who personified to me the term...

NO FEAR !!

That was shocking news that got two days of media coverage here in the Montreal area.

His program was decent amongst choices on TV that are worthless garbage today..led by the MTV format.DAM !!

A terrible loss to his many Loved One's, Friends and acquaintances.

A v. shocking and sad loss.