PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre Not Medically Cleared

pbmax
05-07-2016, 08:58 AM
Haven't heard this one before. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ted-thompson-made-right-choice-not-drafting-myles-jack-b99720748z1-378489746.html

Clarence Novotny, a GP in Green Bay, was the Packers team physician when Wolf was trading for Favre. He reviewed Favre at the Combine before his rookie year. He did not like the look of Favre's hip and failed him. Its unclear whether this was a recheck or an opinion offered the following year. But gonna guess that as a GP he went on more than looks. Wolf went to consulting orthopedist Patrick McKenzie (later team physician) who cleared him. Wolf claims that Novotny did not have all the facts.

But that is the back story. Bob has a friend of scout Sam Seale who claims the scout wanted Thompson to draft Myles Jack. There have been roughly 30 stories written like that in the last week in WI, and McGinn says his fanmail says the same. Neither the fans nor Seale had access to medical information.

The kid has a current medical issue and cannot fully workout. He said it was degenerative and might need micro fracture surgery in the future which means he might be one contract and done, minus whatever time he misses in the lead up to his next surgery.

Hopefully the Packers have data on these injuries and aren't just going on recollection. But I don't think this was a tough decision.

red
05-07-2016, 09:40 AM
everyone says we never get to draft special players because we're always picking at the end of the rounds. well we had a chance in this draft to draft 2 (jack and smith). instead we pass for another very conservative pick in clark

Fritz
05-07-2016, 10:17 AM
..Said the guy who, I think, complains that TT took a guy in the first round with an injury history - Justin Harrell. Or am I getting you mixed up with someone else, Red?

Pugger
05-07-2016, 11:04 AM
..Said the guy who, I think, complains that TT took a guy in the first round with an injury history - Justin Harrell. Or am I getting you mixed up with someone else, Red?

Perhaps Ted passed on Jack and Smith in the first because of what happened with Justin Harrell? We'll never know if Ted would have gambled on either player had they slipped further down in the second or third.

red
05-07-2016, 12:24 PM
harrell was never healthy in college. i think he played like 3 career games

on top of that, because he was always injured in college no one never knew if he was a decent player much less an elite talent like the two ILBs we passed on

big difference between who was chronically injured and guys that have suffered one freak injury

not to mention that harrel draft, was DT even a huge need? i remember being absolutely shocked at the pick, and to top it off 12 of the next 20 or so picks ended up being pro bowlers. we passed a lot of talent to take a solid at best player who had suffered about 5 or 6 injuries in the previous 3 or 4 years

Upnorth
05-08-2016, 08:25 AM
With out a decent NT, who are hard to come by, elite ilb's no longer look elite

pbmax
05-08-2016, 09:28 AM

35 career college games. So you were close.

woodbuck27
05-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Ted doesn't like to gamble.

woodbuck27
05-08-2016, 09:53 AM
pbmax makes Google with this thread.

Congratulations !

Guiness
05-08-2016, 11:00 AM

And wasn't he given Reggie White's old college number, which they hadn't given out in years?

Unfortunately, red was quite right about the Pro Bowlers. There was a pile of them in the next 20 picks, including Posluszny and Joe Staley.

Freak Out
05-08-2016, 01:44 PM
The JH pick was fail. Period. I don't care if he was a #1 or a 7th rounder. I understand TT took a shot based on his potential and that's ok...but it bombed.

red
05-08-2016, 04:56 PM

i was being sarcastic with the 3 games shot, but 35 is a lot more then i thought he had. i thought he missed his freshman year too, thats why he got red shirted. but i guess he was just red shirted

and i thought that spring training injury cost him games, but i don't think it did

still the guy did have 4 or 5 different injuries to different body parts, just like the 4 or 5 he had in green bay

they all by themselves look like freak injuries until you look at the body of work. all the way back to college, they guy was always getting injured

imo, he should have had major injury red flags with all the injuries he had in high school and college

red
05-08-2016, 05:00 PM
and to go back to the start of this discussion

i think taking a shot on a truly special talent like jack or smith at a huge position of need like those guys are, is more acceptable then taking a flier on an injury plagued guy of harrells non elite talent

and again IMO, harrells wasn't really a special player in college even when you look at the games he played

woodbuck27
05-08-2016, 11:51 PM
and to go back to the start of this discussion

i think taking a shot on a truly special talent like jack or smith at a huge position of need like those guys are, is more acceptable then taking a flier on an injury plagued guy of harrells non elite talent

and again IMO, harrells wasn't really a special player in college even when you look at the games he played

TT just plain and simple blew that pick.

Growing pains !

Fritz
05-09-2016, 09:10 AM

on top of that, because he was always injured in college no one never knew if he was a decent player much less an elite talent like the two ILBs we passed on

big difference between who was chronically injured and guys that have suffered one freak injury

not to mention that harrel draft, was DT even a huge need? i remember being absolutely shocked at the pick, and to top it off 12 of the next 20 or so picks ended up being pro bowlers. we passed a lot of talent to take a solid at best player who had suffered about 5 or 6 injuries in the previous 3 or 4 years

Believe me I was not thrilled with that pick when it happened. I remember that was the draft in which Cleveland was frantically trying to trade up to get the otherworldly Brady Quinn. The Brownies had the #23 pick and the Packers had the #16. I believe Cleveland offered to swap in exchange for a second and the following year's first rounder. I was dying when I found out Ted passed on that.

pbmax
05-09-2016, 10:25 AM
Just remember these two rules when discussing TT:

1. He blew the Justin Harrell pick.

2. He got lucky that Aaron Rodgers fell to him.

Everything else is easy reasoning after that.

Striker
05-09-2016, 12:48 PM
Just remember these two rules when discussing TT:

1. He blew the Justin Harrell pick.

2. He got lucky that Aaron Rodgers fell to him.

Everything else is easy reasoning after that.

He's so bad in the early rounds. All of his first and second round picks have been disasters.

Except for those we exclude for one reason (luck, obvious, etc) or another.

Pugger
05-09-2016, 01:48 PM
Yes, if any of Teds high draft picks turn out it is because of luck but if they flame out it is because Ted doesn't have a clue.

pbmax
05-09-2016, 02:19 PM
Everyone knew Rodgers was good value in the first round. All people talked about was how he should be the first or second pick in that draft. Any idiot would have drafted him.

You Ted fluffers need to check in with reality. He doesn't do anything different that 23 other GMs would do.