PDA

View Full Version : RON DAYNE

Bretsky
09-04-2006, 02:01 AM
IN HOUSTON

By JOHN McCLAIN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Defensive tackle Robaire Smith and rookie running back Chris Taylor were among the five players the Texans placed on waivers Sunday when they signed free-agent running back Ron Dayne and claimed four other players.

Receiver David Anderson, the seventh-round draft choice, and two veterans safety Michael Stone and cornerback Kevin Garrett were the other players who were waived.

Dayne, the Heisman Trophy winner from Wisconsin, left the New York Giants for the Denver Broncos, where he was coached by Gary Kubiak, who was the offensive coordinator.

"He gives us a real bruiser," Kubiak said. "He can pound the ball. He's got more size tan our other two. Because we're familiar with him, he can step right into our offense on Tuesday and know exactly what we're doing. At this point that's a tremendous advantage for us."

Rookie Wali Lundy, who will start at running back is 5-10 and weighs 214 pounds. Vernand Morency, the other back on the Texans roster, is 5-9 and weighs 212 pounds.

Dayne, who weighs 245 pounds, is expected to be used in short-yardage and goalline situations.

The Texans claimed safety Guss Scott (New England), cornerback Roc Alexander (Washington), wide receiver Edell Shepherd and defensive tackle Atiyyah Ellison.

The decision to waive Smith was a surprise because he had been a starter. Smith was a starter under Dom Capers since the Texans signed him as an unrestricted free agent from the Tennessee Titans.

Seth Payne, who had been backing up Smith and Travis Johnson, moves into the starting lineup.

"It was a combination of Seth Payne playing very, very well and Robaire's big contract," Kubiak said. "Seth has been doing well ever since camp began and we believe he deserves this opportunity (to start)."

As a vested veteran, Smith is free to negotiate with any team. Because he's a classic 4-3 tackle who has also played end in a three-man front, he should be a hot commodity on the free agent market.

Ellison, the Panthers' third-round pick in 2005, is replacing Smith on the roster.

Coach Gary Kubiak is familiar with Alexander because he spent the last two seasons as a reserve with the Broncos.

Scott was the Patriots' third-round pick in 2004.

Shepherd played three seasons with the Buccaneers, including two in which Texans receivers coach Kyle Shanahan was the offensive quality control coach.

The Texans considered former Denver backup quarterback Bradlee Van Pelt, but Kubiak decided they couldn't afford the extra of luxury of carry three on the active roster. Quarterback Quinton Porter, an undrafted free agent from Boston College, who preformed well in the preseason, will be part of the eight-player practice squad.

john.mcclain@chron.com
Subscribe to the paper for less than thirty cents a day!
Email this storyPrinter friendly format

"That's just my opinion, I could be wrong..." Dennis Miller

the_idle_threat
09-04-2006, 04:20 AM
"He gives us a real bruiser," Kubiak said. "He can pound the ball."

Dayne, who weighs 245 pounds, is expected to be used in short-yardage and goalline situations.

Wrong! Houston will learn, just like the Giants did, that Thunder and Lightning failed because while Dayne looks the part, he doesn't bring the thunder.

falco
09-04-2006, 08:19 AM
People said TT was interested in Ron Dayne.

I wonder if he placed a claim, but lost out to Texans.

Bretsky
09-04-2006, 08:32 AM
People said TT was interested in Ron Dayne.

I wonder if he placed a claim, but lost out to Texans.

It would be interesting to know, but I doubt it. TT was trying to find project that could be developed.

I'm more curious about Michael Haynes, DL for the Bears. I guess several teams put in for claims on him. 1st round pick from a few years ago.

Regardless TT did exactly what I hoped he would not, which is consistent for the norm. He signed projects that may help down the line rather than guys that would help them compete this year.

B

retailguy
09-04-2006, 09:35 AM
It would be interesting to know, but I doubt it. TT was trying to find project that could be developed.

I'm more curious about Michael Haynes, DL for the Bears. I guess several teams put in for claims on him. 1st round pick from a few years ago.

Regardless TT did exactly what I hoped he would not, which is consistent for the norm. He signed projects that may help down the line rather than guys that would help them compete this year.

B

He truthfully doesn't really care if we compete this year. If we can compete as part of his plan, fine, if not, SO WHAT.... :mad:

Bretsky
09-04-2006, 09:38 AM

B

He truthfully doesn't really care if we compete this year. If we can compete as part of his plan, fine, if not, SO WHAT.... :mad:

The Kool Aide guy telling me our GM doesn't care if we compete; now I'm depressed :cry:

ahaha
09-04-2006, 09:58 AM
The Vikings must be kicking themselves for not working out a trade for Dayne. For a late round draft pick they could have had another former Badger star.

BallHawk
09-04-2006, 10:52 AM
The Vikings must be kicking themselves for not working out a trade for Dayne. For a late round draft pick they could have had another former Badger star.

Don't worry, they need those picks for John Stocco and Joe Thomas. :mrgreen: